Wanna live in Emeril's house?

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 11:06:33 AM7/12/03

$1.75 million gets you a kitchen ... I mean house ... on
Lake Pontchartrain. The kitchen has 2 ovens, 6 refrigerators,
a baking station and a 3,500 bottle wine cellar.

nancy

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 1:39:08 PM7/12/03
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

Is the wine included?

Jill

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 1:47:05 PM7/12/03

Hmmm, they did say 3,500 bottle, not 3,500 bottle slots!

(laugh) I'm sure he'll take what wine he has with him. Maybe he'll
leave one, the people I bought my house from left a bottle of
champagne.

nancy

K3

Jul 12, 2003, 1:51:43 PM7/12/03

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Are either of you included... along with the wine? ;-)

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 2:03:54 PM7/12/03
K3 wrote:

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> > "Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

> > > $1.75 million gets you a kitchen ... I mean house ... on

> > > Lake Pontchartrain. The kitchen has 2 ovens, 6 refrigerators,
> > > a baking station and a 3,500 bottle wine cellar.

> > Is the wine included?
> >
> > Jill
> >

> Are either of you included... along with the wine? ;-)

> "Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

(laugh!) I bet for 1.75 million, we could both be included!

nancy

Curly Sue

Jul 12, 2003, 2:08:11 PM7/12/03

No way- 6 refrigerators to clean!!! I suppose you could let the
bottle dusting slide since they're in the cellar ;>

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dot net

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 2:30:16 PM7/12/03
"Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:33 -0400, Nancy Young
> <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:
>

> >$1.75 million gets you a kitchen ... I mean house ... on
> >Lake Pontchartrain. The kitchen has 2 ovens, 6 refrigerators,
> >a baking station and a 3,500 bottle wine cellar.
> >

> No way- 6 refrigerators to clean!!! I suppose you could let the
> bottle dusting slide since they're in the cellar ;>
>
> Sue(tm)

How often do I clean *1* refrigerator... hmmm

I don't know what happened to me. When I was married (granted, that was 20
years ago), *every* weekend I'd take everything out of the 'fridge, remove
and wash the shelves, then put it all back. I was even thawing out the
freezer with a blow dryer (not frost-free, obviously!).

Now? Ha!! About once every six months, I'll empty it and wipe everything
down. I realized my life doesn't revolve around a spotless refrigerator
'cause no one is coming in here to film a commercial! I am so glad I lost
that 'June Cleaver' mentality, which was so engrained in many of us who are
*ahem* 37 :-)

Jill

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 2:39:44 PM7/12/03
Curly Sue wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:33 -0400, Nancy Young

> >$1.75 million gets you a kitchen ... I mean house ... on

> >Lake Pontchartrain. The kitchen has 2 ovens, 6 refrigerators,
> >a baking station and a 3,500 bottle wine cellar.

> No way- 6 refrigerators to clean!!! I suppose you could let the
> bottle dusting slide since they're in the cellar ;>

I have a feeling that some of the refrigerators are the drawer type,
oh, and that he has maids come in. Besides, those other refrigerators
seem like a great way to store unruly children and noisy pets.

nancy

K3

Jul 12, 2003, 2:50:52 PM7/12/03

"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

"Heer's my sign"!!! -- The auctioneer just yelled "SOLD"... "to the RFC'er
with big ears in the back row"..

P.S. I've been sitting here thinking 'bout where I've heard "Lake
Ponchartrain. . sifting thru all the old CD's/Tapes/LP's...

I found it!!! ...

"Catahoula..." -- Bellamy Brothers - LP/CD "Over The Line"... Copyright (C)
1992

Well I left Okeechobee, I was on a quest
Stopped in Weeki Wachee where the mermaids nest
I seen Sop Chopee, I turned it left
I hit Apalachicola, I headed west

Cross two more more states in the driving rain
I finally reached Lake Ponchatrain
And in a bayou town I found my dream
Prettiest hound you've ever seen

Catahoula, Best friend I ever had
I scratch his ear and he brings my beer
And comforts me when I'm sad
My Cajun queen went to New Orleans
And spend up all my moola
But I don't give a damn, I'm a happy man
I got a dog called "Catahoula"

In a plywood shack eating etoufee
Drinking Dixie beer passing time away
Till the sun goes down on a lazy day
And it's time to dance while the accordian plays

We'll hunt them possums by a southern moon
Just to hear him bark makes my heart swoon
From Atchapalaya to Shongaloo
There's a zydeco rhythen and my 'ol pal blue

Catahoula, Best friend I ever had
I scratch his ear and he brings my beer
And comforts me when I'm sad
My Cajun queen went to New Orleans
And spend up all my moola
But I don't give a damn, I'm a happy man
I got a dog called "Catahoula"

Where the crawfish boil and the alligators boss
Pour on a little more Tabasco sauce
The sawing fiddle sure sounds fine
Sing his praises one more time

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k3@(86_THE_SPAM)maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Rick & Cyndi

Jul 12, 2003, 3:10:34 PM7/12/03

: "Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

:
:
: ========

Yeah, but back then, you were just starting out... ie., broke and
didn't have anything in the fridge! LOL

Cyndi

K3

Jul 12, 2003, 3:35:44 PM7/12/03
Reading thru this thread...

Someone please tell me I didn't post this... Wudn't comparing Nancy & Jill
to "Catahoula"... just an awesome song that I like...

Apoligies in advance!!!

Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA
k3@(86_THE_SPAM)maine.rr.com
http://home.maine.rr.com/k3

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

"K3" <k3@(86_THE_SPAM)maine.rr.com> wrote in message

Virginia Tadrzynski

Jul 12, 2003, 4:08:15 PM7/12/03

"Rick & Cyndi" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in message
They are soooooo much easier to clean when they are empty. Now it gets
cleaned when one of the trolls drops something and it spills, or when one of
them gets stuck to the shelf and I can't pry them loose to shut the door.
-Ginny

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 4:21:17 PM7/12/03
Rick & Cyndi wrote:

> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> : Now? Ha!! About once every six months, I'll empty it and wipe

> everything
> : down. I realized my life doesn't revolve around a spotless
> refrigerator
> : 'cause no one is coming in here to film a commercial! I am so glad
> I lost
> : that 'June Cleaver' mentality, which was so engrained in many of us
> who are
> : *ahem* 37 :-)

> Yeah, but back then, you were just starting out... ie., broke and

> didn't have anything in the fridge! LOL

That's so funny, and exactly right. I think, hmmm, there's hardly
anything in there, this would be a good day to clean the refrigerator.
Let's just say it doesn't happen all that often.
Sure as hell not every week.

That's one thing that amused me about Door Knock Dinners. Yeah,
every house you show up, the refrigerator is spotless. When I clean
the refrigerator, I wash the glass shelves in the sink, they are
shiny clean for a few days, but just being in the refrigerator they
start to get an ... opaque? look to them. They aren't dirty. But
these people, someone just cleaned that refrigerator that day.
So much for spontanaity (sp).

nancy

Chef Blair

Jul 12, 2003, 4:28:37 PM7/12/03
any one seen my cat ?

--
============================
Visit The French Pastry Chef at:

"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

I am

Jul 12, 2003, 4:32:39 PM7/12/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:33 -0400, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

Cellar? It would be under water if it was a cellar. More like a wine
room I would think. BTW, why is he selling? Leaving New Orleans?

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 4:58:00 PM7/12/03

Depends on where the house is. While it is true much of Louisiana is at or
below sea-level, not every area is. Still, it's not common to build
'cellars' in the lower South.

Lake Pontchartrain is closer to Slidell than it is New Orleans. Great big
lake, too. Unfortunately, it contains measurably unhealthy levels of
mercury. Fishin' just ain't good there anymore. Not that I'm saying Emeril
was fishing :-) Wait, I take that back. He's fishing for someone to pay a
million and three quarters for his used kitchen!

Jill

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 5:08:31 PM7/12/03
Jill McQuown wrote:

> Lake Pontchartrain is closer to Slidell than it is New Orleans. Great big
> lake, too. Unfortunately, it contains measurably unhealthy levels of
> mercury. Fishin' just ain't good there anymore. Not that I'm saying Emeril
> was fishing :-)

I assumed selling had something to do with the new baby, but really,
he didn't call me and fill me in with the details.

nancy

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 5:09:56 PM7/12/03
Rick & Cyndi wrote:
> "Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> "Curly Sue" <address...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:33 -0400, Nancy Young
>>> <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

ovens, 6 refrigerators,

>>> No way- 6 refrigerators to clean!!! I >>>
>>> Sue(tm)

>> was 20 years ago), *every* weekend I'd take everything out of the
>> 'fridge, remove and wash the shelves, then put it all back.
>> Jill
>> ========
>
> Yeah, but back then, you were just starting out... ie., broke and
> didn't have anything in the fridge! LOL
>
> Cyndi

Actually, that's not true. I came home after work and cooked dinner every
night (again with the June Cleaver mentality). In fact, I didn't even
change out of my work clothes sometimes before starting dinner. That's how
I hurt my poor dog Sampson when he was a pup; he was behind me and I didn't
know it and I stepped on his paw with one of my high heels! (awwwwwww) I
had leftovers galore.

It wasn't until later my ex sucked everything dry and we had no money to
eat. We'd moved by then and the fridge was circa 1940; I didn't bother to
clean it. Heheh

Jill

Curly Sue

Jul 12, 2003, 5:17:19 PM7/12/03

Probably not enough room for refrigerator #7 (formula!).

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 5:18:57 PM7/12/03

Isn't he a tad old to be... never mind!

Curly Sue

Jul 12, 2003, 5:24:26 PM7/12/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:08:15 -0400, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
<ta...@enter.net> wrote:

>They are soooooo much easier to clean when they are empty. Now it gets
>cleaned when one of the trolls drops something and it spills, or when one of
>them gets stuck to the shelf and I can't pry them loose to shut the door.
>-Ginny

There's this big technology gap: we have self-cleaning ovens but no
self-cleaning refrigerators. Hello G.E.?? Frigidaire??? SubZero???
What's the problem here??? I'd even be happy with a low-cost,
low-tech, thinking-out-of-the-box solution by Swiffer.

Nancy Young

Jul 12, 2003, 5:26:40 PM7/12/03

> Isn't he a tad old to be... never mind!

Yeah, some people don't know when they are too old to father children
(laughing). Actually, what also amused me was that the house has
THREE dining rooms and only four bedrooms. Huh?

nancy

Jill McQuown

Jul 12, 2003, 5:30:26 PM7/12/03

That only means he wants lots of friends to come to dinner, but not stay the
night! What's he got, 2 bathrooms? LOL

Jill

mokosh

Jul 12, 2003, 7:25:58 PM7/12/03
"K3" <k3@(86_THE_SPAM)maine.rr.com> wrote in message
snip

> P.S. I've been sitting here thinking 'bout where I've heard "Lake
> Ponchartrain. . sifting thru all the old CD's/Tapes/LP's...
>
> I found it!!! ...
>
> "Catahoula..." -- Bellamy Brothers - LP/CD "Over The Line"... Copyright
(C)
> 1992

Isn't this a takeoff on a song called "Adelina?" (sp)
MJ

MareCat

Jul 13, 2003, 1:29:05 AM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
<jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Still, it's not common to build
>'cellars' in the lower South.

<sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
would be the perfect place to put it.

Mary

Null Ann Void

Jul 13, 2003, 12:41:44 AM7/13/03
<<Someone please tell me I didn't post this...   Wudn't comparing
Nancy & Jill to "Catahoula"... just an awesome song that I like...
Apoligies in advance!!!>>

Kendal,
My name is actually Nancy Jill. What a coincidence. I am sure you didn't
mean any harm. ;-) to Nancy or Jill or even Nancy Jill. lol.........!

Jill McQuown

Jul 13, 2003, 2:46:38 AM7/13/03

My grandmother's house in Ohio (not too far from Pittsburgh, PA) had a
basement with a 2nd full kitchen in it, which she used for doing her
canning/preserving.

A coal bin, fruit cellar where grandma stored all her preserved pears and
sauces, and an extra bathroom with a shower. The house had no air
conditioning but it was usually cool in the basement!

Jill

I am

Jul 13, 2003, 10:17:48 AM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
<jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

JJill with respect, best you take a look at a map of New Orleans. .
Lake Pontchartrain is the northern boundary of New Orleans and Orleans
Parish (county). New Orleans and Orleans Parish is the same political
entity.

Having spent the first 27 years of my 55 years as a resident of both
New Orleans and of the neighboring parish of Jefferson I know the area
and the water table well. In fact, my 1st cousin lives a few blocks
from Emeril. Until they moved to a smaller place five years ago my
parents live 1½ blocks from the lake in Jefferson. One cannot dig a
below a depth of 1 to 2 feet without the hole filling with water in
the areas near the lake. All the land I am talking about has been
reclaimed from the lake during the past 50 to 75 years. Even in the
downtown area of New Orleans extraordinary measures had to be taken to
dig basements for office buildings. A cellar in a private home would
be VERY expensive to build.

I am

PENMART01

Jul 13, 2003, 11:04:47 AM7/13/03
In article <k5r1hv8ae5cmj16lj...@4ax.com>, MareCat
<Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> writes:

><sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
>PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
>and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
>We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
>would be the perfect place to put it.

Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something in the
Texas building code disallowing basements?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Gregory Morrow

Jul 13, 2003, 11:27:03 AM7/13/03

PENMART01 wrote:

> In article <k5r1hv8ae5cmj16lj...@4ax.com>, MareCat
> <Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
> ><sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
> >PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
> >and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
> >We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
> >would be the perfect place to put it.
>

> Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something in
the
> Texas building code disallowing basements?

Houston is located in a swamp.

--
Best
Greg

Jill McQuown

Jul 13, 2003, 11:29:10 AM7/13/03
PENMART01 wrote:
> In article <k5r1hv8ae5cmj16lj...@4ax.com>, MareCat
> <Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> <sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
>> PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
>> and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
>> We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
>> would be the perfect place to put it.
>

> Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something
> in the Texas building code disallowing basements?
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Generally speaking, it's the water table level. It simply isn't common to
have basements in the South due to flooding problems.

Same reason you find above-ground crypts in Louisiana and Mississippi
cemetaries.

Jill

zxcvbob

Jul 13, 2003, 11:29:18 AM7/13/03
PENMART01 wrote:
> In article <k5r1hv8ae5cmj16lj...@4ax.com>, MareCat
> <Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> writes:
>

>><sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
>>PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
>>and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
>>We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
>>would be the perfect place to put it.
>

> Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something in the
> Texas building code disallowing basements?

You would have to build your own house, because there are no existing
houses in houston with basements. And it would be prohibitively expensive
to do because the water table is so high; no matter how well you sealed
everything, water would occasionally get in due to the hydraulic pressure.
Just excavating so you could build a basement would be a nightmare.

You would constantly have to deal with water seepage and mildew problems.

There's probably a chance the house would pop out of the ground like a cork
during a particularly wet hurricane.

Regards,
Bob

Jill McQuown

Jul 13, 2003, 11:32:50 AM7/13/03
I am wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 15:58:00 -0500, "Jill McQuown"
> <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> I am wrote:

>>> Cellar? It would be under water if it was a cellar. More like a

>>> wine room I would think. BTW, why is he selling? Leaving New
>>> Orleans?
>>
>> Depends on where the house is. While it is true much of Louisiana
>> is at or below sea-level, not every area is. Still, it's not common
>> to build 'cellars' in the lower South.
>>
>> Lake Pontchartrain is closer to Slidell than it is New Orleans.
>> Great big lake, too. Unfortunately, it contains measurably
>> unhealthy levels of mercury. Fishin' just ain't good there anymore.
>> Not that I'm saying Emeril was fishing :-) Wait, I take that back.
>> He's fishing for someone to pay a million and three quarters for his
>> used kitchen!
>>
>> Jill
>>
> JJill with respect, best you take a look at a map of New Orleans.

I was looking at a map of Lousiana overall.

> Lake Pontchartrain is the northern boundary of New Orleans and Orleans
> Parish (county). New Orleans and Orleans Parish is the same political
> entity.

Granted.

> Having spent the first 27 years of my 55 years as a resident of both
> New Orleans and of the neighboring parish of Jefferson I know the area
> and the water table well. In fact, my 1st cousin lives a few blocks
> from Emeril. Until they moved to a smaller place five years ago my
> parents live 1½ blocks from the lake in Jefferson. One cannot dig a
> below a depth of 1 to 2 feet without the hole filling with water in
> the areas near the lake.

Ahem, which was why I said it is not common to build cellars in the South.

Jill

Bill

Jul 13, 2003, 11:36:23 AM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:21:17 -0400, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

>That's one thing that amused me about Door Knock Dinners. Yeah,
>every house you show up, the refrigerator is spotless. When I clean
>the refrigerator, I wash the glass shelves in the sink, they are
>shiny clean for a few days, but just being in the refrigerator they
>start to get an ... opaque? look to them. They aren't dirty. But
>these people, someone just cleaned that refrigerator that day.
>So much for spontanaity (sp).

But if they had enough warning to clean their fridge, why on earth did
so few of them have any fresh meat or produce on hand?

Nancy Young

Jul 13, 2003, 11:47:36 AM7/13/03

I've always thought the show brought along someone to clean the
kitchen before they filmed the show. How else did they get lucky
and only find people with spotless kitchens?

nancy

hahabogus

Jul 13, 2003, 11:54:08 AM7/13/03
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in

If they came to my house, to do a show unannounced the word Piss off would
be heard loud and clear, ringing quite loudly. But if they checked it out
with me ahead I might clean the house to within an inch of its life and
fake not having a ruttabaga or whatever.

--

The man who put the FU in fun.

zxcvbob

Jul 13, 2003, 1:29:30 PM7/13/03
Jill McQuown wrote:

> Lake Pontchartrain is closer to Slidell than it is New Orleans. Great big
> lake, too. Unfortunately, it contains measurably unhealthy levels of
> mercury. Fishin' just ain't good there anymore. Not that I'm saying Emeril
> was fishing :-) Wait, I take that back. He's fishing for someone to pay a
> million and three quarters for his used kitchen!
>
> Jill

New Orleans can survive a direct hit from a hurricane; the pumps there to
drian the city are incredible. What they are afraid of (or at least they
should be) is a particularly wet tropical storm or hurricane that hits just
*east* of N'Orleans and stalls over Lake Pontchartrain. I think if Lake
Pontchatrain flooded and swamped the city, the massive amount of water and
the north wind just really might wash New Orleans away.

Bob

PENMART01

Jul 13, 2003, 2:32:27 PM7/13/03
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>> In article <k5r1hv8ae5cmj16lj...@4ax.com>, MareCat
>> <Nittany_Lio...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> <sigh> I *really* miss having a basement. The house I grew up in (in
>>> PA) had an awesome basement, with a terrific rec room, wine cellar,
>>> and coal bin. It sucks not being able to have one here in Houston.
>>> We've wanted to get a big chest freezer for awhile now. A basement
>>> would be the perfect place to put it.
>>

>> Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something
>> in the Texas building code disallowing basements?
>

>Generally speaking, it's the water table level. It simply isn't common to
>have basements in the South due to flooding problems.

Yeah, but... Texas encompasses a huge area, with the vast majority of its
topography well above water tables, in fact finding water throughout most of
Texas is very problematic.... and yet from my searching the MLS for Texas very,
very few residences have basements. I can understand there not being basements
near the coastal areas, ie. Houston (who'd want to live there anyway). So I
don't buy the water table alibi... there must be another excuse... perhaps
economic, basements add about 25% to construction costs, in labor, material,
and *time*.... ideally a subterranian foundation needs to cure many months
before framing begins, which of course substantially delays revenue to offset
investment.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---

modom

Jul 13, 2003, 2:52:50 PM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:50:52 -0400, "K3"
<k3@(86_THE_SPAM)maine.rr.com> wrote:

>P.S. I've been sitting here thinking 'bout where I've heard "Lake
>Ponchartrain. . sifting thru all the old CD's/Tapes/LP's...
>
>I found it!!! ...
>
>"Catahoula..." -- Bellamy Brothers - LP/CD "Over The Line"... Copyright (C)
>1992

Pogues: "My Blue Heaven"

"In my blue heaven there's a bottle of Ponchartrain/
Chalmette by moonlight to take away the pain."

modom

http://koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Bring a sandwich and relax.

Curly Sue

Jul 13, 2003, 5:39:43 PM7/13/03
On 13 Jul 2003 18:32:27 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

>"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> writes:
>
>>PENMART01 wrote:

>>> Why are you unable to have a basement in Texas... is there something
>>> in the Texas building code disallowing basements?
>>
>>Generally speaking, it's the water table level. It simply isn't common to
>>have basements in the South due to flooding problems.
>
>Yeah, but... Texas encompasses a huge area, with the vast majority of its
>topography well above water tables, in fact finding water throughout most of
>Texas is very problematic.... and yet from my searching the MLS for Texas very,
>very few residences have basements. I can understand there not being basements
>near the coastal areas, ie. Houston (who'd want to live there anyway). So I
>don't buy the water table alibi... there must be another excuse... perhaps
>economic, basements add about 25% to construction costs, in labor, material,
>and *time*.... ideally a subterranian foundation needs to cure many months
>before framing begins, which of course substantially delays revenue to offset
>investment.

BINGO!
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/weather/jan-june97/tornado_5-28.html

>JERRY WHITE: Total devastation in that area. You’ve seen the video of the--of the
> houses being just taken off the slabs. In Texas, there aren’t--most homes aren’t built with
> cellars are basements.

>ELIZABETH FARNSWORTH: Explain why that is in tornado country.

>JERRY WHITE: It’s primarily a cost factor. It’s also a soil factor. It’s much less expensive
>to build on a slab than it is to form a basement.

>JOSEPH GOLDIN, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration: Plus the flooding
>problem that you get there with these heavy rains if you have basements.

>JERRY WHITE: Yes, sir. That’s the other thing.

Also
http://www.catfancy.com/anforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5767

http://tinyurl.com/gtgt
>In other areas of the country, flex space is standard in garage areas,
> especially if a third bay in a garage is involved. In Texas, where houses
>are built on concrete slabs, that flex space is referred to as a "Texas basement."

Jill McQuown

Jul 13, 2003, 5:45:57 PM7/13/03

They've been lucky all these years, no? :)

So has Memphis been when it comes to earthquakes. We're situated along the
New Madrid fault. It's to the west of the city, and in fact on the other
side of the Mississippi River, but believe me if we got hit hard there would
be a lot of rubble. I still remember the one in 1976 which was centered
about 125 miles north of here; I was nearly thrown off my feet. Went, "OMG,
it's an earthquake!"

Mom was out of town attending her father's funeral; Dad made me pack up some
things "in case we have to leave". I said, "And go where?!" At least you
can drive inland from a tropical storm. You can't really hide from an
earthquake LOL

Jill

Curly Sue

Jul 13, 2003, 6:12:10 PM7/13/03
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:29:30 -0500, zxcvbob <zxc...@charter.net>
wrote:

>New Orleans can survive a direct hit from a hurricane; the pumps there to
>drian the city are incredible. What they are afraid of (or at least they
>should be) is a particularly wet tropical storm or hurricane that hits just
>*east* of N'Orleans and stalls over Lake Pontchartrain. I think if Lake
>Pontchatrain flooded and swamped the city, the massive amount of water and
>the north wind just really might wash New Orleans away.

Coincidentally, this was in the news today:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/US/louisiana_sinking030712.html

Mike Pearce

Jul 13, 2003, 6:32:39 PM7/13/03

"zxcvbob" <zxc...@charter.net> wrote:
<snip>

> New Orleans can survive a direct hit from a hurricane; the pumps there to
> drian the city are incredible. What they are afraid of (or at least they
> should be) is a particularly wet tropical storm or hurricane that hits
just
> *east* of N'Orleans and stalls over Lake Pontchartrain. I think if Lake
> Pontchatrain flooded and swamped the city, the massive amount of water and
> the north wind just really might wash New Orleans away.
>
> Bob

Those pumps are amazing. We've been getting a ton of rain lately and the
ground is pretty saturated. Friday we had 6 1/2 inches of rain in a half an
hour. There was flooding everywhere. My street, which usually stays fairly
dry, had water over the curbstones. The rain slowed down a bit and about ten
minutes later the flooding had subsided, at least on my street, leaving only
puddles along a curbs. Yesterday you never would have known there had been
any flooding at all.

-Mike

sf

Jul 13, 2003, 9:31:48 PM7/13/03
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:47:05 -0400, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

> Jill McQuown wrote:
> >
> > "Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

> > > $1.75 million gets you a kitchen ... I mean house ... on

> > > Lake Pontchartrain. The kitchen has 2 ovens, 6 refrigerators,
> > > a baking station and a 3,500 bottle wine cellar.
> > >
> > > nancy
> >

> > Is the wine included?
> >
> > Jill
>
> Hmmm, they did say 3,500 bottle, not 3,500 bottle slots!
>
> (laugh) I'm sure he'll take what wine he has with him. Maybe he'll
> leave one, the people I bought my house from left a bottle of
> champagne.

Isn't that a nice gesture? The people we bought ours from
did too. I hope I remember to do the same if/when we sell.

sf

Jul 13, 2003, 9:47:16 PM7/13/03
<jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> I am wrote:

> > On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:06:33 -0400, Nancy Young
> > <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:
> >

> >> $1.75 million gets you a kitchen ...

> Lake Pontchartrain is closer to Slidell than it is New Orleans. Great big
> lake, too. Unfortunately, it contains measurably unhealthy levels of
> mercury. Fishin' just ain't good there anymore. Not that I'm saying Emeril
> was fishing :-) Wait, I take that back. He's fishing for someone to pay a
> million and three quarters for his used kitchen!

What the housing market like in that part of the country?
Californians who live in my area would look at that and
think it's a bargin. He's offering quite a deal compared
with the cost of real estate here.

Of course, we'd knock the price down a bit before sealing
the deal. ;-) We may be used to buying $500,000 fixer
uppers, but we're not complete fools.

sf

Jul 13, 2003, 9:55:07 PM7/13/03

He entertains a lot but doesn't have many overnight guests.
Well, you asked!

Curly Sue

Jul 13, 2003, 10:25:57 PM7/13/03

Lucky you! The person I bought mine from left termites.

Mike Pearce

Jul 14, 2003, 12:08:04 AM7/14/03

"sf" <sf@pipeline dot com> wrote:
"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> He's fishing for someone to pay a
> > million and three quarters for his used kitchen!
> >
> What the housing market like in that part of the country?
> Californians who live in my area would look at that and
> think it's a bargin. He's offering quite a deal compared
> with the cost of real estate here.

I moved here from Boston about a year ago. The housing prices are quite a
bit lower here. I bought a house for probably less than half the price I
would have paid for something similar in Boston.

I don't know specifically where Emeril's house is, but I do know the part of
town near the lake. It is one of the more expensive sections of town. Much
of that area is newer construction as opposed to a lot of the city where the
houses are much older. My house, for example, is about 100 years old. Up by
the lake is almost like a different town. I live in a neighborhood
(mid-city) where we have a corner bar/restaurant and three or four very good
restaurants within a couple of blocks. That is not unusual for much of New
Orleans. You don't really find that up by the lake for the most part.

-Mike

sf

Jul 14, 2003, 2:02:42 AM7/14/03

Eeeew.! That's not a nice memory.