OT: In memory of Chico

1 view

Bent Attorney Esq.

Dec 28, 2009, 5:44:07 PM12/28/09
I first ran into Chico in Edmonton in 1978. I lived in an apartment
and do did he. Right across the hall. Never saw him until about 6
months after I moved in. He had just come home from the hospital,
having had heart surgery. I got to know him and listened to his tall
tales. He told me (and friends) that he had just a couple of years
before a beautiful Indian girlfriend. He told us that he owned a
ranch in the Peace River region. He told us that he could fly an
airplane. He told us that at his ranch, they kept a couple of wolves
as pets. He told me that when he was younger he used to do
enforcement jobs for the mob; i.e. breaking legs when the money didn't
come in. We thought he was full of it. Then he showed us photos. A
photo of him and this beautiful Indian girl. A photo of him with two
wolves. A photo of him inside of a Cessna 172. So he was telling the
truth. The man had a few stories to tell. He loved to cook.
He was in the US Navy and was taken captive by the Japanese. While
they were marching them to their destination, they tied their tongues
together with the next man. Needless to say, their tongues were
swollen big time.
After the war, Chico was in the US Merchant Marine. When they went to
England, they were piloted into port by an English fellow. The
English didn't have much to eat at that time, and the American fellows
gave the guy a good breakfast. After he was done, the English pilot
said:
"Our margarine's better than your butter."
Chico took us to see 'Raging Bull'. I'm thankful that he did. He was
a good fellow. I just heard he died last year (2008).

Lou Decruss

Dec 28, 2009, 6:22:37 PM12/28/09
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:44:07 -0800 (PST), "Bent Attorney Esq."
<parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I just heard he died last year (2008).

I cut my toe nails this morning. Should I have posted the details?

Chemo the Clown

Dec 28, 2009, 6:29:46 PM12/28/09
On Dec 28, 3:22 pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:44:07 -0800 (PST), "Bent Attorney Esq."
>
> <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I just heard he died last year (2008).
>
> I cut my toe nails this morning.  Should I have posted the details?

Of course...wassa matta wit ya!!

Dec 28, 2009, 7:44:30 PM12/28/09

Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.

To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.

pavane

Dec 28, 2009, 8:53:25 PM12/28/09

"Bent Attorney Esq." <parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Wonderful story. Thank you so much for sharing it.

pavane

Lou Decruss

Dec 28, 2009, 9:21:25 PM12/28/09
On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:44:30 -0600, "K" <Kie...@here.there> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:44:07 -0800 (PST), "Bent Attorney Esq."
>> <parkstre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just heard he died last year (2008).
>>
>> I cut my toe nails this morning. Should I have posted the details?
>
>Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.

Another sock who can't tell the difference between a cooking group and
an obituary column.

>To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.

It doesn't belong here.

Lou

George Leppla

Dec 29, 2009, 8:09:12 AM12/29/09
Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:44:30 -0600, "K" <Kie...@here.there> wrote:
>
>> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> I cut my toe nails this morning. Should I have posted the details?
>> Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.
>
> Another sock who can't tell the difference between a cooking group and
> an obituary column.
>
>> To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.
>
> It doesn't belong here.
>
> Lou

I think it does. I think that newsgroups foster a sense of community
that goes far beyond the topic that initially brings people together.
People who share a common interest often become friends, both online and
in real life.

The nice thing about newsgroups is that you don't HAVE to read every
post. Now Lou.... you read the first post in this thread, knew it
didn't interest you but instead of moving on, you decided no only to
respond, but keep reading later posts and respond again. Are you
incapable of ignoring threads that don't interest you?

Usenet.... charters are unenforceable and meaningless. Anyone who tries
to force some sort of order on what is posted really belongs reading a
moderated forum.

George L

Message has been deleted

brooklyn1

Dec 29, 2009, 10:20:32 AM12/29/09
George Leppla wrote:
> PEON Lou Decrap wrote:

>>> Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.
>>
>> Another sock who can't tell the difference between a cooking group and
>> an obituary column.
>>
>>> To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.
>>
>> It doesn't belong here.
>>
>> Lou
>
>I think it does. I think that newsgroups foster a sense of community
>that goes far beyond the topic that initially brings people together.
>People who share a common interest often become friends, both online and
>in real life.
>
>The nice thing about newsgroups is that you don't HAVE to read every
>post. Now Lou.... you read the first post in this thread, knew it
>didn't interest you but instead of moving on, you decided no only to
>respond, but keep reading later posts and respond again. Are you
>incapable of ignoring threads that don't interest you?
>
>Usenet.... charters are unenforceable and meaningless. Anyone who tries
>to force some sort of order on what is posted really belongs reading a
>moderated forum.
>
>George L

PEON Lou is a Newbie here, he can't possibly know that Bent Attorney
Esq. was a long time regular poster here who posted information about
another regular long time poster that may be of interest to many of
the regular old timers still here. PEON Lou is obviously a self
centered "Hooray For Me - Fuck Everyone Else" control freak.

Besides, it clearly says "OT" and "In Mammory". PEON Lou (who has yet
to post anything on topic and/or meritous) definitely is afflicted
with mental deficiency issues... he's your ordinary run off at the
mouth LYING Megalomaniacal Putz. Loopy Lou aka PEON Putz.

blake murphy

Dec 29, 2009, 11:14:36 AM12/29/09
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:20:32 -0500, brooklyn1 wrote:

> PEON Lou is a Newbie here, he can't possibly know that Bent Attorney
> Esq. was a long time regular poster here who posted information about
> another regular long time poster that may be of interest to many of
> the regular old timers still here. PEON Lou is obviously a self
> centered "Hooray For Me - Fuck Everyone Else" control freak.
>
> Besides, it clearly says "OT" and "In Mammory". PEON Lou (who has yet
> to post anything on topic and/or meritous) definitely is afflicted
> with mental deficiency issues... he's your ordinary run off at the
> mouth LYING Megalomaniacal Putz. Loopy Lou aka PEON Putz.

we all trust your evaluations of other's mental deficiencies implicitly,
sheldon.

blake

brooklyn1

Dec 29, 2009, 11:21:40 AM12/29/09

That's correctomundo... when you were given the choice you chose
wheelchair over straight jacket and/or padded cell.

RegForte

Dec 29, 2009, 12:02:56 PM12/29/09
George Leppla wrote:
> Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.
>>

>> Another sock who can't tell the difference between a cooking group and
>> an obituary column.
>>
>>> To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.
>>

>> It doesn't belong here.
>>
>> Lou
>

> I think it does. I think that newsgroups foster a sense of community
> that goes far beyond the topic that initially brings people together.
> People who share a common interest often become friends, both online and
> in real life.

It's a well known troll so no, it doesn't belong here.

> Usenet.... charters are unenforceable and meaningless. Anyone who tries
> to force some sort of order on what is posted really belongs reading a
> moderated forum.

Nice that you lecture us all about usenet when you don't even
know what the heck is going on.

--
Reg

Lou Decruss

Dec 29, 2009, 12:08:44 PM12/29/09
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 07:09:12 -0600, George Leppla
<geo...@cruisemaster.com> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Absolutely not! You should just STFU and stay that way.
>>
>> Another sock who can't tell the difference between a cooking group and
>> an obituary column.
>>
>>> To the OP: Nice story, and sorry that you lost a friend.
>>
>> It doesn't belong here.
>>
>> Lou
>
>I think it does.

If everyone started just one OT thread per day about whatever event
was going on in their life this group would quickly die. OT threads
more often than not turn into flame wars anyway. Are we doing that
now?

>I think that newsgroups foster a sense of community
>that goes far beyond the topic that initially brings people together.

Pollyanna.

>People who share a common interest often become friends, both online >and in real life.

Most of the "friendship" exists only in the mind. That's why the
fiction section of the bookstore is so large. I've met 100's of
people in real life that I had talked to first online for various
reasons. Actually that's how I met Louise. Some folks I've met were
nice people, but a large percentage were a let down to meet. A few
were such freaks I couldn't wait to get away from even though their
writing had made them seem normal. That's far from friendship.

>The nice thing about newsgroups is that you don't HAVE to read every
>post. Now Lou.... you read the first post in this thread, knew it
>didn't interest you but instead of moving on, you decided no only to
>respond, but keep reading later posts and respond again.

My initial post was sarcastic but not a flame. My second was in
response to a flame directed at me. Judging by your headers I'll
assume you know newsreaders allow you to see who responds to you.

>Are you incapable of ignoring threads that don't interest you?

We were both offered the same opportunity and here we are.

>Usenet.... charters are unenforceable and meaningless. Anyone who tries
>to force some sort of order on what is posted really belongs reading a
>moderated forum.

Anyone who posts daily events "really belongs reading" Facebook. I
pity those who need to use a cooking newsgroup as an outlet because
they are short on real life people to talk to.

Lou

Lou Decruss

Dec 29, 2009, 12:10:11 PM12/29/09
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 09:02:56 -0800, RegForte <r...@nospam.com> wrote:

>>> It doesn't belong here.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>

>> I think it does. I think that newsgroups foster a sense of community
>> that goes far beyond the topic that initially brings people together.
>> People who share a common interest often become friends, both online and
>> in real life.
>>

>It's a well known troll so no, it doesn't belong here.
>
>> Usenet.... charters are unenforceable and meaningless. Anyone who tries
>> to force some sort of order on what is posted really belongs reading a
>> moderated forum.
>
>Nice that you lecture us all about usenet when you don't even
>know what the heck is going on.

Thanks. I feared I was on my own.

Lou

Message has been deleted

Steve B

Dec 29, 2009, 3:43:33 PM12/29/09

>>> It doesn't belong here.
>>>
>>> Lou

Was I drunk or absent the day you were elected and place in charge?

You know one of the best things about Usenet? You can post the most stupid,
moronic, incomplete, false, embarrassing thing, and within two weeks it's
dead and people are on to the new topic du jour.

Chico will live on in his relative's and friends memories for a while.

He will only live on here as long as people continue to write in about it.

I'm done. Say hi to everyone for me, Chico. I'll see you soon.

Steve

Steve B

Dec 29, 2009, 3:45:16 PM12/29/09

"l, not -l" <lal...@cujo.com> wrote in message

> On 29-Dec-2009, Lou Decruss <LouDe...@biteme.com> wrote:
>
>> If everyone started just one OT thread per day about whatever event
>> was going on in their life this group would quickly die. OT threads
>> more often than not turn into flame wars anyway. Are we doing that
>> now?
>
> That seems unlikely; we put up with a lot of crap from a handful of people
> (aka, the usual suspects) starting off-topic threads and perverting
> on-topic
> threads way off topic. Some of the longest running threads in this group
> have little to do with cooking, whether they started that way or not.
>
> Just a few recent obvious examples:
> - this months rant about Jill (geez, probably the most messages of any
> thread this month)
> - Christmas ads
> - your town's eyesore/tourist-attraction
> - hoarding
> - Christmas music
> - assault weapons (holy crap, a lot of messages here too)
> - this weeks rant about Andy
> - lottery
> - Christmas birthdays
> - whales
> - Bay bridge
> - rants about Sandra Lee
>
> The oft recurring, pointless rants alone have surely driven off the
> faint-hearted. Heck, the absolute lack of civility may have permanently
> scarred some of them. Those of us who remain have a high tolerance for
> crap
> and shenanigans. While it may be a common interest in food that brought
> us
> together, we value the sense of community as much as the actual topic of
> food or we would have been gone long ago.

Sounds like the life in the household of any of us. Except for the leaving
part.

Steve

Bent Attorney Esq.

Dec 29, 2009, 6:39:24 PM12/29/09
On Dec 28, 9:21 pm, Lou Decruss <LouDecr...@biteme.com> wrote:

Did you not read the 'OT' part asshole?

Kalmia

Dec 29, 2009, 7:40:57 PM12/29/09
On Dec 28, 5:44 pm, "Bent Attorney Esq." <parkstreetboo...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I enjoyed reading this. If others didn't like it - well, heck it
shouldn't have taken more than a few seconds to get the drift, stop
reading and move on.

More interesting than some of the repetitive 'what are you having for
b'fast' threads, if I may say so.

Rob

Dec 29, 2009, 8:20:25 PM12/29/09
Still an asshole, Bent?

Carry on...

Message has been deleted

cybercat

Dec 30, 2009, 12:00:28 AM12/30/09

"Rob" <R...@thegmail188.com> wrote in message

Mmm hmm. Lou is the rankest asshole of all.

blake murphy

Dec 30, 2009, 6:03:42 PM12/30/09

rave on, gramps.

blake