NY Times Article About Fried Foods And State Fairs

margaret suran

Jun 24, 2007, 3:12:37 PM6/24/07

The Basics
Deep-Fry, and Don’t Forget the Stick

By RICK LYMAN
Published: June 24, 2007

In theory, just about anything can be deep-fried, as long as it’s
reasonably solid and has a high combustion point. And a surprising
variety can then be placed in your mouth, though sometimes a little
courage is required.
Skip to next paragraph

As we move into the heart of the county and state fair season, America’s
deep-fry pioneers are once again pushing the envelope and plundering
every aisle at the supermarket in search of fresh items that can be
breaded, impaled on a stick and submerged in hot oil.

For a good deep-fried olive, for instance, head to the Los Angeles
County Fair in Pomona where deep-fried strawberries and avocados can
also be sampled. The San Diego County Fair offers squid on a stick and
deep-fried alligator. In Florida, deep-fried pickle slices are called
Frickles. Or head to the Texas State Fair where a visionary named Abel
Gonzales Jr. was able to create deep-fried Coke last year by mixing soda
pop into the batter and then covering the result with cola syrup,
cinnamon-sugar, whipped cream and a cherry. (Mr. Gonzales had won the
fair’s top taste award the year before, as well, for a deep-fried peanut
butter, jelly and banana sandwich.)

It is the Texas fair that claims to have started it all, when Carl and
Neil Fletcher popularized the corn dog in 1942. The Minnesota State
Fair, however, says it unveiled the strikingly similar Pronto Pup a year
earlier. But not until June 16, 1946, did Ed Waldmire Jr. think to
impale one on a stick in Springfield, Ill., creating the modern corn dog
that we know today. He called it the Cozy Dog. (Actually, he wanted to
call it a Crispy Cur, but his wife intervened.)

No slight to Texas, but it is the Minnesota State Fair that may well be
the epicenter of stick and hot-oil cuisine. Spaghetti-and-meatballs on a
stick. Deep-fried Oreos and Twinkies. Alligator sausage on a stick.
Deep-fried cheese curds. Pork chops on a stick. Wild rice corndogs.
Pizza on a stick. Deep-fried chocolate chip cookies on a stick. Grapes.
Pineapples. Both honeydew and cantaloupe melons.

This year, Charlie Burrows, co-owner of Axel’s Bull Bites Booth at the
Minnesota fair, has come up with what he calls a sloppy Joe on a stick.
“It doesn’t sound like something you could do,” Mr. Burrows told The St.
Paul Pioneer Press. “But trust us.”

Message has been deleted

Otto Bahn

Oct 4, 2007, 10:57:13 AM10/4/07
"Alan Truism" <alan....@yahoo.com> wrote

> How exactly does one do sloppy joe on a stick?

Use your imagination.

--oTTo--

Gilchrist

Oct 4, 2007, 11:29:13 AM10/4/07
On Oct 4, 12:23 am, Alan Truism <alan.tru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> How exactly does one do sloppy joe on a stick?
>
> I thought the very purpose for sticking food on the end of a stick was
> render it un-sloppy.

No there are many reasons for sticking food on the end of a stick.
Survey says that reducing mess is not one of the top five reasons for
doing so.

The Master

Oct 4, 2007, 4:05:10 PM10/4/07

> In theory, just about anything can be deep-fried, as long as it’s
> reasonably solid and has a high combustion point. And a surprising
> variety can then be placed in your mouth, though sometimes a little
> courage is required.

I'm waiting for deep-fried Cotton Candy...

Tonto Bruce Goldstein

Oct 4, 2007, 4:42:06 PM10/4/07
Alan Truism wrote:

[fried things on sticks]

> How exactly does one do sloppy joe on a stick?

In a deep-fried basket, of course!

Has anyone done deep-fried roadkill yet?

> I thought the very purpose for sticking food on the end of a stick was
> render it un-sloppy.

In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
garment.

And possibly prison-speak for something best enjoyed in the privacy of
one's own cell with an intimate acquaintance.

--

Truth matters, God doesn't and life sucks.

-- House, M.D.

Otto Bahn

Oct 4, 2007, 4:55:56 PM10/4/07
"Tonto "Bruce" Goldstein" <""> wrote in

> > I thought the very purpose for sticking food on the end of a stick was
> > render it un-sloppy.
>
> In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
> garment.

That's so that all those poisonous snakes will miss when they
strike.

In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
don't recall if they are grilled or not.

> And possibly prison-speak for something best enjoyed in the privacy of

> one's own cell with an intimidating acquaintance.

IFYPFY, and they call my uncle "Gramps" so I think he is exempt.
According to my mom NY State pens are still pretty brutal though.

--oTTo--

Dana Carpender

Oct 4, 2007, 5:17:57 PM10/4/07

Otto Bahn wrote:

> "Tonto "Bruce" Goldstein" <""> wrote in
>

>>>I thought the very purpose for sticking food on the end of a stick was
>>>render it un-sloppy.
>>
>>In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
>>garment.
>

> That's so that all those poisonous snakes will miss when they
> strike.
>
> In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
> don't recall if they are grilled or not.

Huh? I grew up in NJ (and my mother and father before me, and their
ancestors, back to before the Revolution, fercryinoutloud) and a Sloppy
Joe was hamburger cooked in a tomato sauce and served on a hamburger
bun. You know, like a Manwich, only without all the corn syrup.

Dana

Otto Bahn

Oct 4, 2007, 6:58:51 PM10/4/07
"Dana Carpender" <dcar...@kivanospam.net> wrote

> > In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
> > don't recall if they are grilled or not.
>

> Huh? I grew up in NJ (and my mother and father before me, and their
> ancestors, back to before the Revolution, fercryinoutloud)

That would explain the spelling of your last name.

> and a Sloppy
> Joe was hamburger cooked in a tomato sauce and served on a hamburger
> bun. You know, like a Manwich, only without all the corn syrup.

My cousins said it was named after a Cuban restaurant that made it,
but my ancestors on that side only go back to the mid 1800s so I
guess they must be wrong. I read somewhere that John Hancok loved
a good Sloppy Joe, but I'm not sure he was referring to a sandwhich.

--oTTo--

Lee Ayrton

Oct 4, 2007, 7:28:11 PM10/4/07

Groups trimmed.

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Otto Bahn wrote:

> "Tonto "Bruce" Goldstein" <""> wrote in
>
>>> I thought the very purpose for sticking food on the end of a stick was
>>> render it un-sloppy.
>>
>> In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
>> garment.
>
> That's so that all those poisonous snakes will miss when they
> strike.
>
> In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
> don't recall if they are grilled or not.

Rubens in your neck of the woods have ground meat and greasy sweetened
tomato sauce?

--
"We began to realize, as we plowed on with the destruction of New Jersey,
that the extent of our American lunatic fringe had been underestimated."

Tonto Bruce Goldstein

Oct 5, 2007, 7:41:41 AM10/5/07
Lee Ayrton wrote:

> Groups trimmed.
>
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Otto Bahn wrote:
>
>> "Tonto "Bruce" Goldstein" <""> wrote in

>>> In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
>>> garment.
>>
>> That's so that all those poisonous snakes will miss when they
>> strike.
>>
>> In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
>> don't recall if they are grilled or not.
>
> Rubens in your neck of the woods have ground meat and greasy sweetened
> tomato sauce?

I desperately want to make some kind of comment about Peewee Herman
here, but .....

Washed Marge

Oct 5, 2007, 9:16:09 AM10/5/07
On Oct 4, 3:17 pm, Dana Carpender <dcarp...@kivanospam.net> wrote:

<snip>

> ... and a Sloppy Joe was hamburger cooked in a tomato sauce and served on a hamburger

> bun. You know, like a Manwich, only without all the corn syrup.

Oh, no - you simply MUST have the corn syrup; that would be the famous
"Sloppy Corny."
You deep-fry corn syrup, form it into a corncob shape, and put it on a
stick. Some people eat them, a few stick them up their asses, and YES,
if you do the latter, it DOES mean you're gay.

Otto Bahn

Oct 5, 2007, 10:24:35 AM10/5/07
"Lee Ayrton" <lay...@panix.com> wrote

> >> In Austria, a Sloppy Joe is a loose-fitting, long-sleeved upper body
> >> garment.
> >
> > That's so that all those poisonous snakes will miss when they
> > strike.
> >
> > In New Joisey, a Sloppy Joe is similar to a reuben, though I
> > don't recall if they are grilled or not.
>
> Rubens in your neck of the woods have ground meat and greasy sweetened
> tomato sauce?

They are made from idots who can't google in order
to verify their nonsense before posting it to the
usenet.

--oTTo--

Boron Elgar

Oct 5, 2007, 10:44:37 AM10/5/07

I don't know what group you're following this thread from, but if you
care to read it in its entirety, come to afca and you will see that
any New Jersey version of a Sloppy Joe that resembles a Reuben is
using a definition that is quite regional within the state (parts of
Essex and Morris Counties) and exists only in that small area.

Hardly anything one could say is in common usage.

Try googling the thread before posting next time.

Boron

Nancy Young

Oct 5, 2007, 10:52:44 AM10/5/07

"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote

> I don't know what group you're following this thread from, but if you
> care to read it in its entirety, come to afca and you will see that
> any New Jersey version of a Sloppy Joe that resembles a Reuben is
> using a definition that is quite regional within the state (parts of
> Essex and Morris Counties) and exists only in that small area.

I know them as Jewish Sloppy Joes. They're delicious.
Often they are like a club sandwich in that they have three
thin slices of rye bread.

nancy

Boron Elgar

Oct 5, 2007, 12:05:40 PM10/5/07
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:52:44 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

You're in NJ, too, aren't you? Did you have the sandwich in the area
of Essex/Morris Counties?

Boron

Mitch Scherer

Oct 5, 2007, 7:54:33 PM10/5/07
"Washed Marge" <ma...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> You deep-fry corn syrup, form it into a corncob shape, and put it on a
> stick. Some people eat them, a few stick them up their asses, and YES,
> if you do the latter, it DOES mean you're gay.

No it doesn't. It just gives you a "wide stance."

Mitch

J S

Oct 6, 2007, 3:10:38 AM10/6/07

Re: NY Times Article About Fried Foods And State Fairs

Group: rec.food.cooking Date: Fri, Oct 5, 2007, 12:05pm From:
boron...@hotmail.com (Boron Elgar)
wrote:

"Boron Elgar"
<boron...@hotmail.com> wrote

<<<"I know them as Jewish Sloppy Joes. They're delicious. Often they are

like a club sandwich in that they have three thin slices of rye bread.
nancy">>

<<<You're in NJ, too, aren't you? Did you have the sandwich in the area
of Essex/Morris Counties?
Boron>>>

------------------
You may have something there as to it being regional.I lived and worked
in Morristown and they were as Nancy described.The ones we made in the
restaurant were different combos of overstuffed
meats,dressings,saurkraut and melted cheese.It was definitly a 2 hand
sandwich.They were served on rye and on rolls.
Never found them anywhere else under "sloppy joes".made that way in
other states....just the hamburger mix on a bun kind...
Cheers,Smitty

"Food, Art and Films,What else do you need?...Well.."

Otto Bahn

Oct 7, 2007, 5:35:25 PM10/7/07
"Boron Elgar" <boron...@hotmail.com> wrote

> >> Rubens in your neck of the woods have ground meat and greasy sweetened
> >> tomato sauce?
> >
> >They are made from idots who can't google in order
> >to verify their nonsense before posting it to the
> >usenet.
>

> I don't know what group you're following this thread from, but if you
> care to read it in its entirety, come to afca and you will see that
> any New Jersey version of a Sloppy Joe that resembles a Reuben is
> using a definition that is quite regional within the state (parts of
> Essex and Morris Counties) and exists only in that small area.
>
> Hardly anything one could say is in common usage.

Hardly anyone did. Is everyone on afca a pompus twit?
Just because Austria doesn't have poisonous snakes
everywhere doesn't mean they don't have lots of them.

> Try googling the thread before posting next time.

Why would I want to do that? If I wanted to subscribe
to afca, I would.

--oTTo--

Boron Elgar

Oct 7, 2007, 6:12:52 PM10/7/07

If you had kept the attributions straight, I could more easily have
pointed to whomever made the statement above - but it sure does appear
to be you.

Now, it doesn't take much to interpret that statement correctly. So,
let's go over it again....your statement is true in an area of New
Jersey that can be traversed N/S or E/W in about 15 minutes or less.

The usage of the term is extremely local, as many current and former
NJ residents have told you. You made a blanket statement. You were
wrong.

>> Try googling the thread before posting next time.
>
>Why would I want to do that? If I wanted to subscribe
>to afca, I would.
>
>--oTTo--

Well, that's a mercy, anyway. I guess I will only have to endure your
idiocy in rfc at this point.

Boron

Adam Funk

Oct 7, 2007, 6:21:13 PM10/7/07