wedding picnic ideas wanted

CAWB

Jan 7, 2001, 5:02:08 PM1/7/01
We're planning a June wedding for my daughter; I'll cater it myself. We
want a wedding picnic (although it need not look like a
traditional picnic) because it'll be an outdoor, semi-casual affair. The
groom would like a Marguerita Fountain, but other than that doesn't have
any strong preferences. They live in Colorado and that's where the
wedding will take place, so a western, southwestern, Mexican, or SW
Native American (Navajo, Hopi) influence is not out of place. There'll
be about 150 guests.

I'm looking for fresh, creative ideas for food and presentation. Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Ellen Smith

Jan 7, 2001, 6:37:09 PM1/7/01

I think it's lovely that you want to cater your daughter's wedding. But
in a place unfamiliar to you? And for 150 people?

I really really recommend that you consult with some caterers/specialty
shops, maybe even a mexican restaurant, to come up with a menu that will
not only make your life easier, they'll make sure that the hot food
stays hot, and cold food stays cold. It's not difficult to cater for 50
on unfamiliar turf if one must, but 150 guests is a whole nuther
ballgame.

Ellen

food4t...@my-deja.com

Jan 7, 2001, 6:26:07 PM1/7/01
In article <93ap0t$6lp$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

CAWB <ca...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> We're planning a June wedding for my daughter; I'll cater it myself.

Keep in mind how stressful weddings can be. If it's under 50 people,
and you have above-average coping and culinary skills, then go for it.
Otherwise I strongly urge you to enlist help. The guests will be
talking about the bride, after all--not your canapes. Why not host a
party after their honeymoon? What if she's tossing her bouquet or
slicing her cake and you're stuck in the kitchen with broken
hollandaise, no ice, and an aching back and feet? That's the reality
of catering.

CAWB

Jan 7, 2001, 8:07:55 PM1/7/01

> CAWB wrote:
> >
> > We're planning a June wedding for my daughter; I'll cater it myself.
We want a wedding picnic (although it need not look like a
traditional picnic) because it'll be an outdoor, semi-casual affair.
The groom would like a Marguerita Fountain, but other than that doesn't
have any strong preferences. They live in Colorado and that's where the
wedding will take place, so a western, southwestern, Mexican, or SW
Native American (Navajo, Hopi) influence is not out of place. There'll
be about 150 guests. I'm looking for fresh, creative ideas for food and
presentation.
Thanks!

A BIG THANKS to both food4thought and Ellen for their sincere replies
and obvious concerns regarding my request. I guess I should have added
some more details that would have allayed their concerns (though I truly
am glad you expressed them!). I was a caterer 30 years ago; we catered
company picnics for 1,000 people on Fridays, 2,000 on Saturdays, and
2,000 on Sundays; We usually did smaller parties (smaller compies,
weddings, anniversaries on Wednesdays and Thursday during our high
season). Though I'm in a different professional field now, I still
occasionally do some catering (mainly friends and family
anniversaries, weddings, baptisms, graduations).

I catered my other daughter's wedding 4 years ago. I agree with your
comments, especially for those who aren't prepared to cook for a crowd.
For her wedding, her mother-in-law-to-be was also a professional cook,
we had an "industrial" kitchen to work in (it was at a kid's camp) with
lots of counter space, walk in coolers, convection ovens, regular ovens,
12 burner stove, and all the pots and pans we needed. So that made it
all a snap. Plus, we had everything planned out before we got there,
knew exactly what we were making, in what order to make it, how to get
to last minute prep stage, and how everything was going to be served.
One thing we did - which made ALL the difference, and agrees with both
of your concerns - we prepped everything ahead of time, wrote out a
timetable/schedule as to what came out of the cooler and into the oven
when, had all the serving dishes and utensils labeled along with a chart
of what went where on the serving tables. Then we hired college students
with food service experience to do the final prep, serving, and
clean-up. Thus the two mothers had a blast planning and executing the
food and someone else did the other chores. We never gave it another
thought during the ceremony (if you can't trust them, don't hire them!)
and had a blast during the reception.

So, sorry I didn't tell you I was experienced before AND I really do
appreciate your concerns - they're very legitimate. But I'm still
looking for creative ideas for food items and presentation.
Thanks.
CAWB

Melba's Jammin'

Jan 7, 2001, 8:44:41 PM1/7/01
wrote:

> We're planning a June wedding for my daughter; I'll cater it myself. We

Have you talked to the folks at alt.wedding? Bet you'll get lots of
ideas there.

Barb
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" --Mimi Sheraton

Ellen Smith

Jan 7, 2001, 9:01:26 PM1/7/01

CAWB wrote:

<-----snip VERY GRACIOUS reply----->

> So, sorry I didn't tell you I was experienced before AND I really do
> appreciate your concerns - they're very legitimate. But I'm still
> looking for creative ideas for food items and presentation.
> Thanks.
> CAWB

Thanks lady! This could be fun. Thanks for the opportunity to
participate. I adore wedding receptions and have put on a few modest
ones myself.

The idea of a Southwestern menu seems really appealing. Polenta tarts
with piccadillo and/or ancho chile chicken filling topped with Mexican
Crema. Blood Orange glazed Carnitas with Jalapeno Jam served with small
flour tortillias. Frijoles Charros. Red Chili Pesto Rice. Fajita Steak
and Rice Salad with Jicama, Garlic and Cilantro. Santa Fe Salad made
with freshly roasted and marinated corn and red peppers, mixed with
seasonal greens tossed with creamy garlic dressing and topped with fried
corn tortillia heart cutouts. A huge fresh fruit display with caramel
cream dipping sauce.

Just a few ideas. Will ponder presentation. :)
Ellen

Martha Hughes

Jan 7, 2001, 10:27:06 PM1/7/01

Ellen Smith <el...@nytestar.com> wrote in message

Gee, Ellen, if I ever get married, will you cater it??????? What a fabulous
menu!!!!

Ellen Smith

Jan 7, 2001, 10:41:53 PM1/7/01

Martha Hughes wrote:

> > Thanks lady! This could be fun. Thanks for the opportunity to
> > participate. I adore wedding receptions and have put on a few modest
> > ones myself.
> >
> > The idea of a Southwestern menu seems really appealing. Polenta tarts
> > with piccadillo and/or ancho chile chicken filling topped with Mexican
> > Crema. Blood Orange glazed Carnitas with Jalapeno Jam served with small
> > flour tortillias. Frijoles Charros. Red Chili Pesto Rice. Fajita Steak
> > and Rice Salad with Jicama, Garlic and Cilantro. Santa Fe Salad made
> > with freshly roasted and marinated corn and red peppers, mixed with
> > seasonal greens tossed with creamy garlic dressing and topped with fried
> > corn tortillia heart cutouts. A huge fresh fruit display with caramel
> > cream dipping sauce.
> >
> > Just a few ideas. Will ponder presentation. :)
> > Ellen
>
> Gee, Ellen, if I ever get married, will you cater it??????? What a fabulous
> menu!!!!

Awwww...it would be our pleasure. But for you it would have to be Napa
Cuisine ala Michael *swoon* ....lol

Ellen

CAWB

Jan 9, 2001, 12:07:47 AM1/9/01
In article <3A591F76...@nytestar.com>,
Ellen Smith <el...@nytestar.com> wrote:

> Thanks lady! This could be fun. Thanks for the opportunity to
> participate. I adore wedding receptions and have put on a few modest
> ones myself.
>
> The idea of a Southwestern menu seems really appealing. Polenta tarts
> with piccadillo and/or ancho chile chicken filling topped with Mexican
> Crema. Blood Orange glazed Carnitas with Jalapeno Jam served with
small
> flour tortillias. Frijoles Charros. Red Chili Pesto Rice. Fajita Steak
> and Rice Salad with Jicama, Garlic and Cilantro. Santa Fe Salad made
> with freshly roasted and marinated corn and red peppers, mixed with
> seasonal greens tossed with creamy garlic dressing and topped with
fried
> corn tortillia heart cutouts. A huge fresh fruit display with caramel
> cream dipping sauce.

Oh, Ellen - these sound fabulous - really got my mind skimming along.
For the polenta tarts, were you thinking of bite size or a 3-4" size? As
for presentation, I was picturing all the colors of your ideas and
their mostly sturdy textures and I started thinking of red bricks for
lifters and terra cotta pots and bowls and (oh, gosh, what do you call
those shallow dishes placed under plants?) anyway, I was thinking of a
variety of sizes and shapes of those for presentation. They might be
able to use a friend's house for whom they have house-sat who has a
gorgeous house in the mountains with multi-level decks connecting to
each other. Since I'm not serving or cleaning up <grin> I thought maybe
it would be fun to spread out all the food in various stations rather
than a single buffet table. hmmm... just a thought. It would encourage
people to mingle while they nosh. And would definitely be on the more
casual level, which is what they want.

Keep those fab ideas coming! Isn't planning great fun?