Cooking with Tequila?

1 view

Celine Greene

May 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/10/95
Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

Lynn M Tanksley

May 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/10/95
Celine Greene (cgr...@sti.nasa.gov) wrote:
: Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a

Margaritas would also be an obvious use. Here's my favorite quick and
dirty recipe: Dump one of those small cans of limeade in blender. Fill
can up with water and add, fill can up with tequila and add, fill rest of
blender up with ice and blend. Yum-0.

(Expecting flames from those perfectionists who think *their* way of
making margs with Cuervo, Grand Marnier, fresh squeezed lime juice, and
whatever is the *right* way. These are quick and taste damn good.)

Lauretta Nagel

May 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/10/95

Actually, I have a really yummy recipe somewhere at home for
a strawberry margarita pie. The crust is made out of crushed
pretzels and butter so you get a salty rim. Let's see if I can
remember to bring it in tomorrow.

You know, I bet you could use tequila as a replacement for any other
alcohol in a sauce or marinade...might be *interesting*!

Lauretta Nagel
Baltimore MD

PS Celine, does the sti in your domain mean your company has something
to do with the Space Telescope? You got my curiosity up...

Geoffrey Sherwood

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95
Lynn M Tanksley (tank...@metronet.com) wrote:

: Margaritas would also be an obvious use. Here's my favorite quick and

: dirty recipe: Dump one of those small cans of limeade in blender. Fill
: can up with water and add, fill can up with tequila and add, fill rest of
: blender up with ice and blend. Yum-0.

: (Expecting flames from those perfectionists who think *their* way of
: making margs with Cuervo, Grand Marnier, fresh squeezed lime juice, and
: whatever is the *right* way. These are quick and taste damn good.)

Nope, not a perfectionist, just a margarita lover. I make them in bulk, now.
I'll probably get flames as these might not be 'classic margaritas', but they
are mighty good. I've made the other recipe described above, but I like these
a lot better. Then again, I've really lost my taste for frozen drinks.

My recipe:
In a 1.75 liter (60 oz) bottle add:

14 oz Cuervo Gold Tequila
7 oz Triple Sec
juice from 4 or 5 limes
fill with Mr & Mrs T's Sour Mix (might be called Sweet & Sour Mix). This
conveniently comes in 1.75 liter bottles :-).

Fill glass with ice, fill glass with Margrita, fill tummy with Margarita.

Or, in a 16 oz glass add:
3 oz CGT
1.5 oz TS
juice from 1/2 lime
fill glass with ice
fill with Sour Mix

I prefer the former recipe -- just keep the bottle in the fridge and you
have instant margaritas!

geoff sherwood

Robgot

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95
Saute shrimp with garlic and tequila. It's great

Alilena

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95
>Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
>gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
>still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
>anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
>know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

I had the same problem after New Year's -- this is what I did with it and
my boyfriend loved it!
I made a marinade out of about 1/2 cup tequila and 1/4 cup Rose's Lime
(regular lime juice would probably work too, plus a little sugar) and
soaked 2 large hicken breasts for about 1/2 hour, then grilled them. I
serve it with various (spicy) vegetable dishes and corn bread. It's really
easy and good, and the bottle will make it several times. (or you could
make it for a group of people too...)

bmai...@eyecon.com

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95

Cel...@nohost.com writes:
IC>Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
IC>gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
IC>still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
IC>anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
IC>know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

Hmm. What springs to mind is an orange chiffon cake with tequila in it.
Sort of a Margarita cake.

Get some jalapeno jelly and thin it down with your tequila. Use it as a
glaze on grilled chicken (tequila mockingbirds).

Substitute it in any recipe calling for light (white) rum.

--
****************
Via: Eye Contact BBS telnet: bbs.eyecon.com (204.94.37.2)

bmai...@eyecon.com

May 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/11/95

I know it's considered bad form to follow up on my own post, but as I
pressed the "send" key another idea came to mind (re: Celine's request
for tequila recipes).

Use it in place of (or in addition to) the white wine used in making
chicken/veal piccata! (the lemon juice/sourness of the capers should go
well here). If you take this suggestion, also be sure to play some Bach
while dining ... so you can have a Chicken Teqatta in D Table!!

LizR

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
In article <3or3ph$8...@feenix.metronet.com> tank...@metronet.com (Lynn M Tanksley) writes:
>Margaritas would also be an obvious use. Here's my favorite quick and
>dirty recipe: Dump one of those small cans of limeade in blender. Fill
>can up with water and add, fill can up with tequila and add, fill rest of
>blender up with ice and blend. Yum-0.

>(Expecting flames from those perfectionists who think *their* way of
>making margs with Cuervo, Grand Marnier, fresh squeezed lime juice, and
>whatever is the *right* way. These are quick and taste damn good.)

No flames here. The quick and dirty way is best for those hot days...
Although a shot of triple sec does improve the taste.

As far as other recipes go:

Tequila Chicken

Marinate chicken in a mix of 1/4 c tequila, 1/4 c lime juice.
Saute 1 diced red onion until tender. Add some tomatilla salsa (1/4c or so).
Add chicken and marinade. Saute until chicken is done. The marinade will
cook off so you'll just end up with sort of a sludge at the bottom. Remove
the chicken and deglaze the pan with a little bit more tequila. Pour the
sauce over the chicken. YUM>

LizR

wo...@austin.ibm.com

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95

Two words: strawberry margaritas!
--
Gretchen Hayman If you have to ask what jazz is,
you'll never know.

Little Pua

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
Try combining green chile and Tequila in basic sauce recipe's for
chicken.It's great.

BASEL, LESLIE

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
I put a shot of tequila in my homemade salsa...it just seems
to make it just a little hotter.
If your tequila has a peppery taste, a shot of tequila can
add a little extra peppery bite to homemade potato salad.
(Warn your guests beforehand!). My sweetie pioneered this
idea.

The best summer drink in Tucson (IMHO), is a tequila tonic
with a double squeeze of lime. Its also very simple. A
shot of tequila, several ice cubes, fill the glass with
tonic water, squeeze two quarters of lime. Stir. Enjoy...
Of course, you have to like tonic water.

Leslie
l...@ccit.arizona.edu

Golden G. Richard III

May 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/13/95
Celine Greene (cgr...@sti.nasa.gov) wrote:
: Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
: gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
: still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
: anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
: know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

Rush immediately to your blender. Add equal parts tequila, triple
sec, and freshly squeezed lime juice (For my blender I find 4 jiggers
of each = 6oz of each just right). Add a splash of sugar, ice, and
blend until smooth. Dip the edge of a glass in lime juice, dip
lightly into kosher (coarse) salt, fill from the blender, and feel
your troubles melt away.

When you need a Tequila refill, I like high-grade Cuervo.

Cheers,

--Golden

--
Golden G. Richard III Asst. Professor, Dept. of Computer Science
gol...@cs.uno.edu University of New Orleans (504-286-6045)

Sharon Widmayer

May 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/14/95
bmai...@eyecon.com writes:
I've actually got a whole cookbook on cooking w/ Tequila:
Tequila: the book
by Anne and Larry Walker
Pub. by Chronicle Books
c. 1994

Beieve it or not, we have the opposite problem that you do, we have never
made anything from the cookbook because whenever we think of it, there's
no tequila in the house!

>Cel...@nohost.com writes:
>IC>Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
>IC>gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
>IC>still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
>IC>anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
>IC>know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

>Hmm. What springs to mind is an orange chiffon cake with tequila in it.
> Sort of a Margarita cake.

>Get some jalapeno jelly and thin it down with your tequila. Use it as a
>glaze on grilled chicken (tequila mockingbirds).

>Substitute it in any recipe calling for light (white) rum.

Sean Kelly

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
In article <3p2qq5$v...@www.uno.edu>,
Golden G. Richard III <gol...@cs.uno.edu> wrote:
>Celine Greene (cgr...@sti.nasa.gov) wrote:
>: Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
>: gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago.

>Rush immediately to your blender.

No! In a mug with ice is perfect! Besides, you can get more
margaritas in your gullet much more quickly this way. :-)

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the
courses should be Laughing, Then Jumping Off Something.
-- Jack Handey

Lester Heitlinger, R.B.P.

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
Having lived in Tucson, which is near Mexico, we had Tequilla readily
available. One day my wife was cleaning a closet and accidentally dropped
a bottle of Tequilla on a freshly waxed floor. It broke (naturally) and
removed all of the fresh wax. There's another use for Tequilla.

Lester D. Heitlinger, R.B.P.
heit...@soleil.acomp.usf.edu

On 13 May 1995, Golden G. Richard III wrote:

> Celine Greene (cgr...@sti.nasa.gov) wrote:
> : Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a

David Casseres

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95
In article <3oqrei$9...@nova.sti.nasa.gov>, Celine Greene
<cgr...@sti.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
> gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
> still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
> anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
> know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

I make a nice lemon meringue pie with 1/2 cup of tequila in it. Sometimes
I add a layer of very thinly sliced, well-trimmed and seeded jalapeno
chiles on top of the filling and under the meringue.

--
David Casseres
Exclaimer: Hey!

Tsong Edith

May 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/15/95

> When you need a Tequila refill, I like high-grade Cuervo.

Ugh! Cuervo is about the worst tequila there is. Try a Porfidio, or
Centinela, or...or...or...

actually why don't you guys check out this Web Pages if you're into tequila:

http://www.io.com/~elvis

It's the tequila home page!

Terry J. Pogue

May 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/16/95

>Get some jalapeno jelly and thin it down with your tequila. Use it as a
>glaze on grilled chicken (tequila mockingbirds).

That's the best idea I have heard of in ages! Plus I love the name.
Terry

IF YOU LOVE TO READ IN TRAFFIC
send a mail message to LIST...@HSLC.ORG and in the message block type
SUBSCRIBE AUDIOBOOKS and your name

Q FRAMBOIS

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
>Subject: Re: Cooking with Tequila?
>From: rob...@aol.com (Robgot)
>Date: 11 May 1995 23:04:37 -0400

>Saute shrimp with garlic and tequila. It's great

Add some chopped fresh cilantro to this, with rice. ooof, I get dizzy just
thinking about it!

Frank D. Fellenz

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
In article <3p2qq5$v...@www.uno.edu> gol...@cs.uno.edu (Golden G. Richard III) writes:

>Celine Greene (cgr...@sti.nasa.gov) wrote:
>: Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
>: gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
>: still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
>: anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
>: know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

>Rush immediately to your blender. Add equal parts tequila, triple

>sec, and freshly squeezed lime juice (For my blender I find 4 jiggers
>of each = 6oz of each just right). Add a splash of sugar, ice, and
>blend until smooth. Dip the edge of a glass in lime juice, dip
>lightly into kosher (coarse) salt, fill from the blender, and feel
>your troubles melt away.

I for one don't like my margi's that sweet. 3 parts tequila to 2 parts triple
sec and a half a lime per margi. Perfect. These are lethal on the rocks but
quite tame if blended.

Another drink with tequila is the Baja Body Slam (I'm shure that not the only
name). This recipe sounds like it won't work but try it. This is
basically a skip and go naked with tequila instead of vodka. Equal parts
tequila, lime aid concentrate and beer( not dark, something light). Mix over
ice in a pitcher and serve as shot like a kamakazi. Don't mix these ahead of
time because the fiz from the beer is the key to this drink.
Cheers, Frank
Frank Fellenz "I love animals, they taste good"
Mechanical Engineer
Beckman Instruments Inc.
"Science, Support, Solutions"
The opinions expressed are not my own or any body elses.

Paul Saffren

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95

My margarita recipe: (for a normal sized blender)
1 cup tequila
1 cup fresh lime juice
1/3 cup triple sec
add ice to fill blender.

Good steak recipe for bbq grilling:
in a large ziploc bag place the following to marinate,
steaks
puree'd or finely chopped garlic, about 3 cloves
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup tequila (low grade cuervo is fine)

place baggie in fridge, longer the better.

Tomatillo salsa marinade (good for salmon, chicken)
4 good sized tomatillos, husked, washed, coarsely chopped
2 pear tomatoes (roma etc) coarsely chopped
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup tequila (low grad cuervo is sufficient)
1/2 onion finely chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped yellow bell pepper
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
butter/ (real or phoney)
2-3 serrano chiles or 1 jalepeno or 2-3 dried red chiles
(more/less as desired)

In a medium sized pot, saute garlic and onions till onions are
translucent, Add everything else and bring to a boil. Then
simmer for about 30 minutes with the cover off. Let cool and
use liquid for marinade. Reserve "salsa" for side.

This is excellent for salmon and chicken. Impress your mother,
friends etc.

Finally: Tequila and soda with a slice of lime.
use high grade: Hornitos, Herdura, etc. Good between dances!

-=-----------------------------------------------------------------------
=-
Paul R. Saffren (N6NHH) psaf...@cruzio.com
Sage Instruments Inc. 408.761.1000
fax:408.761.2452
...My opinions are company policy...

Cher

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.95051...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU>, Tsong Edith <ts...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU> writes:

|> > When you need a Tequila refill, I like high-grade Cuervo.
|> >
|> Ugh! Cuervo is about the worst tequila there is. Try a Porfidio, or
|> Centinela, or...or...or...

We brought a bottle of Tres Generaciones back from Puerto
Vallarta one year (recommended by a native). It was cheaper
AND better than Cuervo. Don't know for sure if it's available
in the states or not, but we did see some in the storage room
at a local Cantina Del Rio restaurant.

--> Cher

allison mills

May 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/19/95
Make some cilantro pesto--NO cheese-- and add fresh lime juice, chili
peppers and cuervo. Use it as a marinade for swordfish or tuna and
serve with fresh salsa, bbq'ed of course. To die for.

allison

Carleton University

Email address: ami...@ccs.carleton.ca

Spike

May 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/22/95
Limes have just gotten really cheap in Melbourne recently, (4 or 5 for $1),
so here is a recipe I've been saving from Floyd's calendar.
Never actually tried it, but I have a drinking engagement in a fortnight
and I just got the can of clams.

THE UPPER CLASS TWIT (hangover cure)

1 shot of vodka
Juice from one small can of clams
(eat clams later fried in a little olive oil
and garlic sprinkled with lemon juice)
Juice of one lemon
Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Mix everything together and serve over ice.

Spike

ja...@ibbs.uucp.netcom.com

May 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/25/95

IC>In article <3oqrei$9...@nova.sti.nasa.gov>, Celine Greene
IC><cgr...@sti.nasa.gov> wrote:

IC>> Some friends gave my husband and I a whole bottle of Tequila as a
IC>> gift after they came back from Mexico 3 months ago. Well, it's
IC>> still sitting there. Other than the obviuos Tequila Sunrise, can
IC>> anyone suggest some uses for it -- drinks or otherwise? I'd love to
IC>> know if there was a cake with Tequila in it. Thanks.

IC>I make a nice lemon meringue pie with 1/2 cup of tequila in it. Sometimes
IC>I add a layer of very thinly sliced, well-trimmed and seeded jalapeno
IC>chiles on top of the filling and under the meringue.

Would you please post or e-mail me your recipe? I'd love to see it.
Thanks
Jayde Van Doorn
ja...@ibbs.uucp.netcom.com