Jalapeno Seeds

Jim Conderman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
I have heard that if you remove the seeds from a Jalapeno pepper, you
can reduce the fiery effect.

I have also heard that if your tongue/mouth is on fire, that the best
remedy is bread. The bread is supposed to absorb the spicy oils
emmitted from the pepper.

Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
remedy for this?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Benjamin

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
Jim Conderman (jcond...@global.net) wrote:
> I have heard that if you remove the seeds from a Jalapeno pepper, you
> can reduce the fiery effect.

Actually, most of the capsiacin (the active ingredient in peppers) is
contained in the veins of the pepper (the light colored ribs inside).
It's in the seeds to a lesser extent. So make sure and de-vein the
pepper as well as de-seed it.

> Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> remedy for this?

Don't eat hot peppers :-). The capsiacin affects the mucous membranes
at your... other end... just like it affects the ones in your mouth.
As a friend of mine once commented, "Whew! That stuff is so hot it'll
burn you a new a**h***!"

--
Jeff Benjamin benji(at)fc.hp.com
Hewlett Packard Co. Fort Collins, Colorado

Ramone

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:37:14 -0700, Jim Conderman
<jcond...@global.net> wrote:

>I have heard that if you remove the seeds from a Jalapeno pepper, you
>can reduce the fiery effect.

Yes. Remove the seds and the veins. I slice the meat off of a pepper
and throw the whole carcass away.

>I have also heard that if your tongue/mouth is on fire, that the best
>remedy is bread. The bread is supposed to absorb the spicy oils
>emmitted from the pepper.

As anyone who eats a lot of Mexican food can attest, sugar cuts the
heat. All Mexican restaurants we ever went to offered pralines or
mints on the way out.

>Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
>the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
>remedy for this?

Duh, don't eat peppers. Of course, I never tried stuffing a praline
up my a**.

>Thanks in advance.

BlackBeard

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <35dc4635...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
Ram...@worldnet.att.net (Ramone) wrote:

>>Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
>>the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
>>remedy for this?
>
>Duh, don't eat peppers. Of course, I never tried stuffing a praline
>up my a**.

Never? Neophite. ;)

Seriously. The bathroom burn can be reduced by cleaning the seeds out
before ingestion. They don't digest well and tend to burn on the way out.

BlackBeard
Submarines once, Submarines twice...
Trying to reason with hurricane season, in the Mojave desert.

red_1096

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:09:25 -0700 nos...@yadda.yadda.yadda
(BlackBeard) wrote:
> In article <35dc4635...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>,
> Ram...@worldnet.att.net (Ramone) wrote:
>

> >>Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> >>the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> >>remedy for this?

Ice cream! There is a joke about a man eating hot peppers and then ice
cream in large quantities. The next day, at the stool, he is heard to
say, "Come on ice cream!"

Sharon.......learned to *take* the burn - both times!

Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

Pam Jacoby

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

Righto, Sharon. A local Sri Lankan restaurant strongly recommends that
it's patron partake of ice cream and supply lovely fruit-flavored ice
creams to tempt you.

BTW, one term for this "problem" is the flaming O's

Steve

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98

Or, the "ring of fire"

Steve

RobDgot

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
<<Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> remedy for this?>>

Eat Ice Cream before the peppers and then pray for the ice cream or use really
SOFT toilet tissue.
Bob G.
To be old and wise, you first have to be young and stupid.
Bob G.

Kirkus

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

> I have heard that if you remove the seeds from a Jalapeno pepper, you
> can reduce the fiery effect.
>

> I have also heard that if your tongue/mouth is on fire, that the best
> remedy is bread. The bread is supposed to absorb the spicy oils
> emmitted from the pepper.
>

> Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> remedy for this?
>

> Thanks in advance.

I've been told milk will reduce the fire in your mouth so, maybe a milk
enema will reduce the fire......well, maybe not. I used to eat jalepeno
slices with cream cheese on tortilla chips. I always thought that I didn't
chew them up very well and they didn't digest completely. Boy, did they
burn. Damned near made me cry. I'm sure the beer I drank with them didn't
help the digestion any.....Greg

Jimdrinkin

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Jim Conderman wrote:

> Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> remedy for this?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Put some ice cubes in the bowl, and pray for a splash

Ray Bruman

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
> In article <35DB37...@global.net>, jcond...@global.net wrote:
> > Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> > the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> > remedy for this?

When I was a kid, they always told us
"Don't put beans up your nose."

--
Ray Bruman, Berkeley CA

Mr. Robin Cowdrey

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
I once had the "super atomic hot version of a lamb curry at
a local East Indian restaurant. It's the only time food
burned on the way in and on the way out. Still laugh about
it.

--
Robin.............Reply to rcowdrey[at]telusplanet[dot]net

'Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant'
Anon.

bran...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <35E456...@worldnet.att.net>,
JIM...@att.net wrote:

> Jim Conderman wrote:
> >

> > Now, a serious question follows: I have experienced discomfort around
> > the anal sphincter after indulging in peppers. Does anyone know of a
> > remedy for this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> Put some ice cubes in the bowl, and pray for a splash

My husband jokes that when we have spicy food we must follow it up with ice
cream. His theory is the next morning while sitting on the throne just keep
hollering "come on ice cream, come on ice cream."

ga...@ibm.net

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

Did you know that celery salt chiefly consists of ground up celery
seeds?
I wonder how jalapeno salt would taste.

Leo Matheny

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
How do you know that you have had too many of you favorite chile peppers?
When you try to go and nothing but steam comes out.

I do not know of any remedy for the hot trots! I do know that you get
used to it, more or less. I think you build up a greater tolerance for the
peppers.
Every year I grow a fair amount of my favorite six hot peppers. I cook and
eat as much as I can, and make as much salsa as I have jars for. The rest
of the peppers I quick dry in a dehydrater then store in zip lock bags. My
favorite pepper salt is jalapeno. Very easy to do, I chop my peppers in a
food processor, then in a coffee grinder. I add a tsp of sea salt to each 2
tbs of pepper in the coffee grinder.
I wait untill I have used up what ever peppers that I have ground, before I
grind more. It seems that small batches taste richer with more flavor. My
wife doesn't mind a half doz. pepper shakers on they table if they small.
Ps- I don't use that coffee grinder for any thing else.

Leo of Va.

* If you don't want to get better,
why are you still trying? *

ga...@ibm.net wrote in article <35E728...@ibm.net>...