Have you hear of

sf

Jun 6, 2012, 12:26:36 AM6/6/12

Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheri

Jun 6, 2012, 12:48:05 AM6/6/12
"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
I've heard of it and seen it, but haven't bought it. I'll be curious as to
how you like it.

Cheri

Fava Ben

Jun 6, 2012, 12:56:09 AM6/6/12
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf wrote:

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Whatever you do, don't tell us what it is.

(Kinda ironic coming from the person who can't look up anything
herself)

-sw

Julie Bove

Jun 6, 2012, 1:04:49 AM6/6/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

Yes, I've heard of it. Been around for a while. Never tried it and never
would.

Paul M. Cook

Jun 6, 2012, 2:36:15 AM6/6/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

I think it is just base. They are competing with Better than Bouillon.
Base is just heavily reduced stock.

Paul

Kent

Jun 6, 2012, 2:48:43 AM6/6/12

"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote in message
There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
that that is bad. I use it.

Kent

sf

Jun 6, 2012, 3:38:25 AM6/6/12
You love me. You're addicted to me. Admit it! I know it and
everyone else does too - because you respond to me even though you
claim to have me in your kill file. You are so eager to respond that
you can't wait and pretend that I'm in your kill file. Or, maybe
you're too poor to afford anything so expensive as a kill file... but
you can't admit that you just can't admit it. Poor little you. <sob>

sf

Jun 6, 2012, 3:39:23 AM6/6/12
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 22:04:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
<juli...@frontier.com> wrote:

> Never tried it and never would.

Why am I not surprised?

sf

Jun 6, 2012, 3:43:07 AM6/6/12
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> that that is bad. I use it.

I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
it's not pure salt.

Julie Bove

Jun 6, 2012, 4:00:27 AM6/6/12

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
>> Not
>> that that is bad. I use it.
>
> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.

I do use that!

Paul M. Cook

Jun 6, 2012, 4:37:29 AM6/6/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon.
>> Not
>> that that is bad. I use it.
>
> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.

I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
then I can't buy from a wholesaler.

Paul

Message has been deleted

Jim Elbrecht

Jun 6, 2012, 8:21:01 AM6/6/12
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

I treat it like 'Sazon' -- that stuff that "makes things taste
better"-- Flavor is salty, but there is some umami in there. Because
it is liquid it mixes well at the last minute. Because it is in
individual packets the last packet should taste just like the first
one.[and it is ridiculously expensive.]

Ingredients- tomato puree, salt, vegetables, sugar-- other stuff.

It is interesting that they say to use 2 packets on a pound of
vegetables-- then list the serving size as 1 packet.
In that one packet you get 2g sugar, 4g carbs, and 770mg sodium.

It works to save a broth or dish that didn't quite 'get there'-- My
box is lasting a very-very-long time.

Jim

John Kuthe

Jun 6, 2012, 9:17:03 AM6/6/12
On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

>Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.shopwell.com/swanson-flavor-boost-vegetable-8-pouches/dried-soup/p/b3/5100019583?realreferrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CGUQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.shopwell.com%252Fswanson-flavor-boost-vegetable-8-pouches%252Fdried-soup%252Fp%252F5100019583%26ei%3DpFfPT7fjCo716AGgyom9DA%26usg%3DAFQjCNFq-2ByVx99Qc8t5x7zhD2FAxxuDw%26sig2%3DCxIu97VH4mrmEFZmzGzRCQ

Ingredients:
Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Salt, Vegetables, (Carrots,
Onions, Celery), Sugar, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Potato Flour,
Contains Less Than 2% Of: Celeriac Juice Concentrate, Flavoring,
Carrot Juice Concentrate, Dehydrated Carrots, Lemon Juice Concentrate,
Xanthan Gum.

Looks like a tomato based salty mirapoix with added sugar, etc.

I'm sure it's very good and that RFC purists will poo poo it!

John Kuthe...
Message has been deleted

sf

Jun 6, 2012, 12:11:16 PM6/6/12
On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
wrote:
Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 6, 2012, 1:04:12 PM6/6/12
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

> maybe
> you're too poor to afford anything so expensive as a kill file...

Does this mean you've paid for a killfile?

Janet Wilder

Jun 6, 2012, 1:58:08 PM6/6/12
On 6/5/2012 11:26 PM, sf wrote:

> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

Please let us know what you thin of it. I've seen it, too, but never
tried it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Paul M. Cook

Jun 6, 2012, 3:53:18 PM6/6/12

"sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
It's not easy to find. One store near me carries the whole line. Makes a
damn fine clam sauce lemme tell ya.

Paul

Nancy2

Jun 6, 2012, 4:48:58 PM6/6/12
On Jun 6, 2:43 am, sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" <keh6...@ana.yahoo.com>
I can certainly tell the difference between the beef one and the
chicken one. I use it - sparingly, along with broth - for sauces and
gravies, if I need some extra added "oomph." Better than Bouillon
Beef is great to mix with Johnny's French Dip base and beef broth, for
French Dip sandwiches, if you don't have enough juice from the meat.
You just use it as a small addition, not as the sole flavoring device.

N.

Pico Rico

Jun 6, 2012, 5:18:56 PM6/6/12

"Nancy2" <ellor...@gmail.com> wrote in message
That is what my demiglace is for.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 6, 2012, 6:14:00 PM6/6/12
And that is the ideal addition for bringing up beef flavor. But you probably
go to the trouble to make it, which takes way too long for the average
person's patience.

I've seen demiglace at RD, and looking a the ingredients, it's almost
entirely "artificial". I can also buy little tiny tins of it at the grocery
store, as well as a chicken version. But it's not very good.

MartyB

Pico Rico

Jun 6, 2012, 6:45:10 PM6/6/12

"Nunya Bidnits" <nunyab...@eternal-september.invalid> wrote in message
That is why I make my own.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:54:23 PM6/6/12
sf wrote:
> Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
> which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
> Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.

No. What's in it? Feel free to ignore that q if you have
answered it. And actually, I can probably find the answer online.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:55:40 PM6/6/12
Speaking o' which... I wonder which of the Minor's bases are
good. I have access to them....

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:56:26 PM6/6/12
Di I recall that yeast extract can be/contain msg?

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:57:41 PM6/6/12
I bought some clam. In days of yore, clam was a "hot soda
flavor". Thus far, the formulae I have tried have been very
lacking in flavor.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:58:29 PM6/6/12
Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
>> wrote:
>>> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>
>> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
>> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
>> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.
>
> It's not easy to find. One store near me carries the whole line. Makes a
> damn fine clam sauce lemme tell ya.
>
> Paul

Oh? I have some in the fridge. I'd better ponder that or some
other use.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 6, 2012, 8:59:43 PM6/6/12
That's the problem. I like buying things that contain "real"
ingredients. (I got the BTB clam to try the old formulae.)

--
Jean B.
Message has been deleted

sf

Jun 7, 2012, 12:19:30 AM6/7/12
I suppose I could get up and look but I'm too lazy. My reasoning for
buying it was #1 - it was on clearance and #2 - I figured it couldn't
taste any worse than BtB.

Kent

Jun 7, 2012, 5:51:38 AM6/7/12

"sf" wrote in message news:r92us7dm637ki1vs7...@4ax.com...
The chicken Better than B... has genuine chicken flavor. I use it to make
homemade chicken more "chickeny". What beef bouillon do you use?

Kent

Kent

Jun 7, 2012, 5:55:54 AM6/7/12

"Pico Rico" wrote in message news:jqomhp$gk9$1...@news.mixmin.net...
For beef demi where do you get your ingredients? In the old daze when beef
was dry aged in beef halves, the market would give me stock ingredients
free. Now in CA anything costs at least a dollar a pound. All wholesaled
beef is shrink wrapped in pieces and sold to the butcher.

Kent

Janet

Jun 7, 2012, 7:10:21 AM6/7/12
In article <1p4xo3th...@sqwertz.com>, swe...@cluemail.compost
says...
> Actually, she did. She bought Forte Agent rather than using Free
> Agent (which doesn't have a killfile capability). Or any other free
> newsreader, for that matter.

I use a free news server and free newsreader and the free killfile that
comes with.

Janet

Pico Rico

Jun 7, 2012, 8:57:30 AM6/7/12

"Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote in message
Them "old daze" was long, long ago. Veal bones from Restaurant Depot or
Santa Clara Veal. All the rest is just all the rest.

Nanzi

Jun 7, 2012, 11:12:33 AM6/7/12
to sf.u...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:43:07 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:48:43 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There is precious little true beef ingredient in Better than Bouillon. Not
> > that that is bad. I use it.
>
> I absolutely HATE anything that goes by the name "Better than
> Bouillon". It's poorly flavored salt. You can't tell what flavor
> it's supposed to be, but you know they've done something - because
> it's not pure salt.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

SF I completely agree with you. I will never buy it again!!

James Silverton

Jun 7, 2012, 11:27:47 AM6/7/12
It's on the lines of "I can't believe it's not butter"; I have no
trouble at all disbelieving that!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Brooklyn1

Jun 7, 2012, 12:39:49 PM6/7/12
If you eat preground mystery meat why would you care? Except for the
presevatives they are the same real ingredients as homemade... you use
ketchup, steak sauce, and bbq sauce... anyone who thinks restaurants
make their own stocks, gravies, and soups from scratch is living in
dreamland.

sf

Jun 7, 2012, 1:55:25 PM6/7/12
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 02:51:38 -0700, "Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com>
wrote:

> The chicken Better than B... has genuine chicken flavor. I use it to make
> homemade chicken more "chickeny". What beef bouillon do you use?

Not a bullion fan. I bought both flavors of BtB. I've used about
half the chicken and not as much beef, but that's over a period of two
years... maybe more and I don't use either unless I'm completely out
of stock (purchased or home made). They've languished in my
refrigerator so long that it's time to toss them and make room for
something else. I will never understand why people go on and on about
how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.

Brooklyn1

Jun 7, 2012, 2:33:30 PM6/7/12
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 08:12:33 -0700 (PDT), Nanzi <nan...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
That's just silly, ketchup is flavored salt too... so are many sauces
I bet you have in your larder... are you saying you never buy salad
dressings, prepared mustard, bbq sauce, soy sauce? Even homemade
stocks require substantial salt.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Gary

Jun 7, 2012, 5:30:39 PM6/7/12
Sqwertz wrote:

<re: Better than Bullion>

> The clam is also perfect for clam chowder - much more flavor
> than clam juice.
>
> -sw

Wow. I'm surprised to hear you say that, Steve.
I can't imagine a better clam chowder than made
all natural using live clams.

Gary

Gary

Jun 7, 2012, 5:34:58 PM6/7/12
Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:55:25 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > I will never understand why people go on and on about
> > how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.
>
> Obviously you're in the minority.
>
> Even when making my home made chicken stock, some chicken base goes in
> there at the very end to brighten it up.

I'm with you. I always end up throwing in some chicken boullion to my
chicken vegetable soup starting from homemade stock. I'm assuming that
enhanced taste comes from the salt and the msg added?

Gary

Janet

Jun 7, 2012, 5:54:01 PM6/7/12
In article <4FD11E82...@att.net>, g.ma...@att.net says...
If you made a more concentrated chicken stock you wouldn't need to add
bouillon. I've always made individual chicken carcases into stock, but
one of the best tips I've had on rfc, was to save up several (bagged in
the freezer)then use them together for stock-making. Saves fuel but also
makes much richer stock.

Janet

Gary

Jun 7, 2012, 6:13:48 PM6/7/12
Janet wrote:

> g.ma...@att.net says...
> > I'm with you. I always end up throwing in some chicken boullion to my
> > chicken vegetable soup starting from homemade stock. I'm assuming that
> > enhanced taste comes from the salt and the msg added?
> >
> > Gary
>
> If you made a more concentrated chicken stock you wouldn't need to add
> bouillon. I've always made individual chicken carcases into stock, but
> one of the best tips I've had on rfc, was to save up several (bagged in
> the freezer)then use them together for stock-making. Saves fuel but also
> makes much richer stock.
>
> Janet

I've actually tried that before, Janet, and a bit of boullion still enhances
it. I do as you do....save up chicken parts in the freezer for the next
stock making time (that will be this coming Saturday for me).

And as one poster once told me, better to bake the chicken to brown for
stock, rather than starting with raw.

Gary
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

S Viemeister

Jun 7, 2012, 8:20:34 PM6/7/12
On 6/7/2012 5:54 PM, Janet wrote:

> If you made a more concentrated chicken stock you wouldn't need to add
> bouillon. I've always made individual chicken carcases into stock, but
> one of the best tips I've had on rfc, was to save up several (bagged in
> the freezer)then use them together for stock-making. Saves fuel but also
> makes much richer stock.

I do that, too. I don't feel the need to add packaged stuff to it.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 7, 2012, 10:17:35 PM6/7/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> Knorr has a new line of concentrated liquid bases for foodservice that
> works very well, too.

Did you get those from RD?

Message has been deleted

Paul M. Cook

Jun 7, 2012, 10:56:13 PM6/7/12

"Gary" <g.ma...@att.net> wrote in message news:4FD11D7F...@att.net...
Base is natural clam flavor. Chef's have used it for generations. It used
to be their little secret. All it is is highly concentrated stock. What is
wrong with that?

Paul

Jean B.

Jun 7, 2012, 11:07:51 PM6/7/12
LoL! Good enuf.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 7, 2012, 11:09:20 PM6/7/12
I do use those things, and I read the labels. I do care.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 7, 2012, 11:10:42 PM6/7/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:55:40 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality but
>>> then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> Speaking o' which... I wonder which of the Minor's bases are
>> good. I have access to them....
>
> Minors Chicken Base is a must in the kitchen. The lobster is another
> favorite, but it's like $18/pint. And they're the only beef base
> flavor that works for me.
>
> Knorr has a new line of concentrated liquid bases for foodservice that
> works very well, too.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the info. He who works in a restaurant can get some
for me.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 7, 2012, 11:12:00 PM6/7/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> I would never use boullion. The main ingredient in the bases I buy is
> meat/poultry/fish.
>
> Here's the ingredients of a popular brand of cubes:
>
> Salt, Flavor (Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Salt), Sugar, Contains 2% or
> less of Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking Agent), Natural Flavor (Autolyzed
> Yeast Extract, Salt, Sugar, Whey Powder [from Milk], Lactic Acid),
> Chicken Fat, Disodium Inosinate and Disodium Guanylate, Dehydrated
> Cooked Chicken (Contains Natural Flavor), Dehydrated Parsley,
> Turmeric, Onion Powder, Spice, Garlic Powder. No MSG Added (Contains
> Naturally Occurring Glutamates).
>
> Anybody comparing boullion to bases upthread are pretty ignorant, IMO.
>
> -sw

Bleah!

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 7, 2012, 11:15:47 PM6/7/12
So you have to be a member to shop there?

--
Jean B.

Paul M. Cook

Jun 8, 2012, 12:20:41 AM6/8/12

"Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2012 01:37:29 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net>
>> wrote:
>>> "sf" <s...@geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> I use the clam and lobster all the time. It's not restaurant quality
>>> but then I can't buy from a wholesaler.
>>>

>> Clam and lobster Better than Bullion? They don't stock like that in
>> the grocery store I shop at, but I wouldn't buy it even if they did.
>> If I wanted a seafood flavor, I'd buy clam juice in a bottle.
>>
> I bought some clam. In days of yore, clam was a "hot soda flavor". Thus
> far, the formulae I have tried have been very lacking in flavor.

So people went into soda shops and said "jerk me a clam?"

Paul

Message has been deleted

Julie Bove

Jun 8, 2012, 1:04:25 AM6/8/12

"Sqwertz" <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:55:25 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> I will never understand why people go on and on about
>> how good they are with they're as crappy tasting as any other bullion.
>
> Obviously you're in the minority.
>
> Even when making my home made chicken stock, some chicken base goes in
> there at the very end to brighten it up. Usually Minor's, Tone's or
> Empire brand (sold at Restaurant Depot). The Empire brand is even
> better than Minor's IMO. And cheaper at $3.84/pint. And their lobster
> base is #11.39/lb.

I've nevere tried the regular BTB. Only the organic. It's good! But I
hate that it has to be refrigerated. Now I use Savory Choice Liquid.

Kent

Jun 8, 2012, 3:23:17 AM6/8/12

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news:jqs14q$3ph$1...@dont-email.me...
I've never refrigerated BTB chicken or beef. We've never had loss of taste
or infection.

Julie Bove

Jun 8, 2012, 5:27:19 AM6/8/12

"Kent" <keh...@ana.yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hmmm... I think it say to refrigerate after opening.

Gary

Jun 8, 2012, 5:12:14 PM6/8/12
Nothing wrong with it if that's all it is. I maybe wrongly assumed that it
was a simulated clam flavor.

Gary

Julie Bove

Jun 8, 2012, 5:50:29 PM6/8/12
SF is wrong about the stuff. I looked to see what it contains. Contains
real meat.

Jean B.

Jun 8, 2012, 7:50:39 PM6/8/12
LOL! That sounds kind-of obscene. And even though they were
called "hot sodas", they generally were not carbonated. Some of
the formulae sound pretty vile How about a nice clam and malt
combination? (I did not make that up.)

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 8, 2012, 7:52:45 PM6/8/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> Membership is free. But some RD's require you to have a resale tax
> use permit or tax exempt certificate (non profit). Some people here
> have reported they have gotten memberships without either. But that's
> goes against all their published literature and is not possible in
> Texas.
>
> I got a State Tax Use permit just so I could shop there. but don't
> tell sf or she'll have a fit about it for no apparent reason.
>
> -sw

Oh, Bah! People keep saying I should get a resale tax number,
because I'd get discounts at various venues. But here, anyway, it
means one has to do income tax quarterly. That is not appealing.

I was thinking my daughter's friend, who works in a restaurant,
could join, but now that is not clear to me.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 8, 2012, 7:54:05 PM6/8/12
I think it does. I opened one, and it now resides in the fridge.
(I will have to decide whether I ever want to use it again.
Heck, I could avail myself of some of the better bases.

--
Jean B.
Message has been deleted

sf

Jun 9, 2012, 10:30:18 AM6/9/12
On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:52:45 -0400, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com> wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:

> >> So you have to be a member to shop there?
> >
> > Membership is free. But some RD's require you to have a resale tax
> > use permit or tax exempt certificate (non profit). Some people here
> > have reported they have gotten memberships without either. But that's
> > goes against all their published literature and is not possible in
> > Texas.
> >
> > I got a State Tax Use permit just so I could shop there. but don't
> > tell sf or she'll have a fit about it for no apparent reason.
> >
> > -sw

Just another confirmation about what a habitual and to-the-bone liar
you are.

I'm back on the laptop

Jun 9, 2012, 11:10:29 AM6/9/12
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote in news:do1us758ijqoi382uubuhkk82gq5flb2in@
4ax.com:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 23:56:09 -0500, Fava Ben <fav...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 05 Jun 2012 21:26:36 -0700, sf wrote:
>>
>> > Swanson Flavor Boost? It was on the top shelf, on clearance today -
>> > which surprised me because I'd never seen it before. I bought the
>> > Vegetable flavored Flavor Boost, but I haven't tried it yet.
>>
>> Whatever you do, don't tell us what it is.
>>
>> (Kinda ironic coming from the person who can't look up anything
>> herself)
>>
>> -sw
>
> You love me. You're addicted to me. Admit it! I know it and
> everyone else does too - because you respond to me even though you
> claim to have me in your kill file. You are so eager to respond that
> you can't wait and pretend that I'm in your kill file. Or, maybe
> you're too poor to afford anything so expensive as a kill file... but
> you can't admit that you just can't admit it. Poor little you. <sob>

LMAO!!!!!

--
Peter
Tasmania

sf

Jun 9, 2012, 2:54:22 PM6/9/12
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 10:48:43 -0500, Durian Berry <d...@whatisit.com>
wrote:

> I think you're suffering from sour, senile, spiteful old lady
> syndrome.

And you're suffering from blimpus headus.

sf

Jun 9, 2012, 3:02:32 PM6/9/12
On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 15:10:29 +0000 (UTC), "I'm back on the laptop"
<Imb...@home.in.Brisbane> wrote:

> sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote in news:do1us758ijqoi382uubuhkk82gq5flb2in@
> 4ax.com:
>

> >> (Kinda ironic coming from the person who can't look up anything
> >> herself)
> >>
> >> -sw
> >
> > You love me. You're addicted to me. Admit it! I know it and
> > everyone else does too - because you respond to me even though you
> > claim to have me in your kill file. You are so eager to respond that
> > you can't wait and pretend that I'm in your kill file. Or, maybe
> > you're too poor to afford anything so expensive as a kill file... but
> > you can't admit that you just can't admit it. Poor little you. <sob>
> >

> LMAO!!!!!

He can't seem to quit nymshifting. It's obvious he has a hard on for
me, which means I should be getting candy and flowers out of this
pretty soon.

Jean B.

Jun 10, 2012, 11:59:00 PM6/10/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 20:57:41 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I bought some clam. In days of yore, clam was a "hot soda
>> flavor". Thus far, the formulae I have tried have been very
>> lacking in flavor.
>
> I drink Clamato juice like four Canadians rolled into one (It's the
> self-proclaimed "National Cocktail of Canada"). Sometimes I warm it
> up and drink it like a broth (after adding a few sqwertz of hot sauce
> and some worcestershire, of course). Bacon can't hurt either:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/7353213124/in/photostream
>
> Hmm, maybe they should rename Canada to Clamada. It's really easy to
> pronounce when you're drunk on Bloody Ceasars.
>
> -sw

I am tempted to say "blech" or some such thing, but then I don't
think I have ever imbibed Clamato juice. I suppose I should
rectify that someday.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 11, 2012, 12:00:12 AM6/11/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:52:45 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Membership is free. But some RD's require you to have a resale tax
>>> use permit or tax exempt certificate (non profit). Some people here
>>> have reported they have gotten memberships without either. But that's
>>> goes against all their published literature and is not possible in
>>> Texas.
>>>
>>> I got a State Tax Use permit just so I could shop there. but don't
>>> tell sf or she'll have a fit about it for no apparent reason.
>> Oh, Bah! People keep saying I should get a resale tax number,
>> because I'd get discounts at various venues. But here, anyway, it
>> means one has to do income tax quarterly. That is not appealing.
>
> If you have zero taxes due you fill out a web form that takes about 30
> seconds and you're done. I didn't know until last quarter that my
> state has a yearly option as well. So of course I signed up for that
> in a heartbeat. Now it takes 30 seconds a year rather than every
> quarter.
>
>> I was thinking my daughter's friend, who works in a restaurant,
>> could join, but now that is not clear to me.
>
> They probably already have a membership. In which case you would need
> a statement on letterhead that it's okay for you to purchase for that
> company/restaurant. If you're a church-goer and know the clergy or
> their admins well, they can give a copy of their tax exempt
> form/number.
>
> It was surprisingly easy to get a resale cert here in Texas. And
> despite what Barbara says, it's perfectly legal and legit.
>
> -sw

I do need to think about that. If I wait long enough, I probably
will be reselling.

--
Jean B.
Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 11, 2012, 11:00:05 AM6/11/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:59:00 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I am tempted to say "blech" or some such thing, but then I don't
>> think I have ever imbibed Clamato juice. I suppose I should
>> rectify that someday.
>
> How you live this long without having tried Clamato? This is totally
> baffling to me.
>
> Clamato is like a cold, tart tomato and clam broth. Awesome stuff.
> I've known people that refused to try it just based on "clam" factor.
> I hate those people with thoee kinds of unreasonable food phobias :-)
>
> -sw

OTOH I have never bothered to try it on the basis that I don't like tomato
juice. Sounds like it would just be a fishy version of V8.

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 11, 2012, 11:11:32 AM6/11/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 19:52:45 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Membership is free. But some RD's require you to have a resale tax
>>> use permit or tax exempt certificate (non profit). Some people here
>>> have reported they have gotten memberships without either. But
>>> that's goes against all their published literature and is not
>>> possible in Texas.
>>>
>>> I got a State Tax Use permit just so I could shop there. but don't
>>> tell sf or she'll have a fit about it for no apparent reason.
>>
>> Oh, Bah! People keep saying I should get a resale tax number,
>> because I'd get discounts at various venues. But here, anyway, it
>> means one has to do income tax quarterly. That is not appealing.
>
> If you have zero taxes due you fill out a web form that takes about 30
> seconds and you're done. I didn't know until last quarter that my
> state has a yearly option as well. So of course I signed up for that
> in a heartbeat. Now it takes 30 seconds a year rather than every
> quarter.
>
>> I was thinking my daughter's friend, who works in a restaurant,
>> could join, but now that is not clear to me.
>
> They probably already have a membership. In which case you would need
> a statement on letterhead that it's okay for you to purchase for that
> company/restaurant. If you're a church-goer and know the clergy or
> their admins well, they can give a copy of their tax exempt
> form/number.

The only problem that might raise is if the restaurant relies on their
purchase data as provided by RD. Having non-restaurant purchases included
might confuse accounting, and of course if sales tax was not paid and they
were audited they would be on the hook for sales tax on the products that
were not processed for resale or directly resold. And they might be
reluctant to request extra member cards for employees because RD doesn't
break down data by individual cards AFAIK.

> It was surprisingly easy to get a resale cert here in Texas. And
> despite what Barbara says, it's perfectly legal and legit.

True dat. Just because you have a license to resell and collect the
mandatory sales tax on items purchased at wholesale doesn't mean you have to
actually do it. And if a wholesaler wants to sell to you, that is their
right and their lawful business decision, other than liquor which cannot be
sold by distributors to individuals in most places.

AFAIK states collect a fee for processing resale cert and business license
applications so it's not as if you didn't pay for what you got.

MartyB

Message has been deleted

George Leppla

Jun 11, 2012, 11:48:17 AM6/11/12
On 6/11/2012 10:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:00:05 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz<swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

>>> How you live this long without having tried Clamato? This is totally
>>> baffling to me.
>>>
>>> Clamato is like a cold, tart tomato and clam broth. Awesome stuff.
>>> I've known people that refused to try it just based on "clam" factor.
>>> I hate those people with thoee kinds of unreasonable food phobias :-)
>>
>> OTOH I have never bothered to try it on the basis that I don't like tomato
>> juice. Sounds like it would just be a fishy version of V8.
>
> Oh, jeez, another one!
>
> Doesn't taste like clam or regular tomato juice.
>
> -sw

A few years ago a friend told me that Clamato has no clam juice in it. I
thought he was nuts, but http://www.clamato.com/en/about/faq.aspx#faq1
They say less than 0.01% is clam broth.

That's close enough to nothing as far as I am concerned.

George L

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 11, 2012, 9:18:46 PM6/11/12
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 10:48:43 -0500, Durian Berry <d...@whatisit.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I think you're suffering from sour, senile, spiteful old lady
>> syndrome.
>
> And you're suffering from blimpus headus.

Wow. That's truly a stunning rebuke.

Message has been deleted

George Leppla

Jun 12, 2012, 7:53:11 AM6/12/12
On 6/12/2012 1:25 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:48:17 -0500, George Leppla wrote:

>> A few years ago a friend told me that Clamato has no clam juice in it. I
>> thought he was nuts, but http://www.clamato.com/en/about/faq.aspx#faq1
>> They say less than 0.01% is clam broth.
>>
>> That's close enough to nothing as far as I am concerned.
>
> I thought the ingredients used to say "dried clam powder" at one
> point. I think it did used to be clamier. But to me it tastes like a
> good, tart, smooth tomato broth that works well in many soup and
> chowders. As a drink it is basically a cool, savory broth that takes
> well to worcestershire and hot sauces.
>
> They also have (or had?) Shrimp and Beef flavors as well. And of
> course Picante.

I love Bloody Mary's and I like clams... but I never got into combining
the two (I think they call it a Clamdigger) Just didn't taste right to me.

George L

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 12, 2012, 5:34:16 PM6/12/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 10:00:05 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

>>> How you live this long without having tried Clamato? This is
>>> totally baffling to me.
>>>
>>> Clamato is like a cold, tart tomato and clam broth. Awesome stuff.
>>> I've known people that refused to try it just based on "clam"
>>> factor. I hate those people with thoee kinds of unreasonable food
>>> phobias :-)
>>
>> OTOH I have never bothered to try it on the basis that I don't like
>> tomato juice. Sounds like it would just be a fishy version of V8.
>
> Oh, jeez, another one!
>
> Doesn't taste like clam or regular tomato juice.
>
> -sw

I like the flavor of clams and clam juice, that's not the issue. I hate
tomato juice and the derivatives... not dislike, but hate. Yuck. But I'll
trust your point of view to the extent that if someone offered me a sip I
would try it. But every time I've bought a tomato juice derivative product
it went down the drain.

MartyB

Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 13, 2012, 11:33:10 AM6/13/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:34:16 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> I like the flavor of clams and clam juice, that's not the issue. I
>> hate tomato juice and the derivatives... not dislike, but hate.
>> Yuck. But I'll trust your point of view to the extent that if
>> someone offered me a sip I would try it. But every time I've bought
>> a tomato juice derivative product it went down the drain.
>
> Buy a $1 can of Clamato next time you're at the grocery store. Chill.
> Yourself a shot. Add 1 drop worcestershire per ounce, and a drop or
> three of hot sauce. If you don't like it I'll refund your money and a
> 6-pack next time I see you.
>
> -sw

Deal, as long as it isn't a six pack of Clamato.

;-)

Jean B.

Jun 14, 2012, 10:21:10 PM6/14/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:59:00 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I am tempted to say "blech" or some such thing, but then I don't
>> think I have ever imbibed Clamato juice. I suppose I should
>> rectify that someday.
>
> How you live this long without having tried Clamato? This is totally
> baffling to me.
>
> Clamato is like a cold, tart tomato and clam broth. Awesome stuff.
> I've known people that refused to try it just based on "clam" factor.
> I hate those people with thoee kinds of unreasonable food phobias :-)
>
> -sw

Hey, at least I have bitten a tomato and done various other
earth-shattering things.

Oh, did I say here that I was looking at a recipe for a salad made
of squid tentacles and cucumber, and my daughter objects to the
cucumber? :-)

Anyway, back to Clamato, I'll try to remember to try some. Heck,
if I don't like drinking it, I can kluge together some of that
Manhattan-style clam chowder, although those of us in Boston tend
to cast aspersions on that style.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 14, 2012, 10:22:02 PM6/14/12
I like V8. I suspect I will like Clamato, but I am wondering
whether it only comes in a big container.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.

Jun 14, 2012, 10:23:28 PM6/14/12
"mollusk reanimation"????

--
Jean B.
Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Jun 15, 2012, 11:49:44 AM6/15/12
Sqwertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:21:10 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Anyway, back to Clamato, I'll try to remember to try some. Heck,
>> if I don't like drinking it, I can kluge together some of that
>> Manhattan-style clam chowder, although those of us in Boston tend
>> to cast aspersions on that style.
>
> I also make a spicy shrimp "cocktail" out of it. I make a quart of
> this every couple months:
>
> ****
>
> One of my favorite preps, a Sqwertz Original. This started out as a
> simple shrimp ceviche, then morphed into a Mexican shrimp cocktail,
> and is a full blown "chunky shrimp gazpacho".
>
> The shrimp may be cooked or left raw. I like the texture of the raw,
> acid-cooked shrimp, but I prefer the taste of cooked shrimp. So you
> decide: raw or cooked shrimp. When 25/30-count raw shrimp are split
> in half lengthwise, they will cook in this mixture in 6-8 hours.
>
> This is acidic, flavorful, colorful, crisp and refreshing as a drink
> and an appetizer. And one of the rare recipes I have written down
> (just now).
>
> 1 can of Herdez Salsa Casera (preferred) or about half a can of Rotel
> and all it's juice.
> Half of a cucumber, peeled, seeded and chunked to 1/4"
> 1/3 - 1/2 Half pound of medium shrimp, deveined, peeled, sliced in
> half lengthwise (and optionally cooked)
> Juice of 3 key limes or one large lime. Or 1TB rice vinegar.
> 1 each jalapeno and serrano, DEVEINED and SEEDED and sliced thinly.
> 2 Tablespoon finely chopped red onion (or white, or yellow)
> 1 clove garlic, pressed
> 16-20oz of Clamato (or V8 I suppose - but I don't like V8)
> Pinch of crumbled dried thyme
> Pinch of ground celery seed
> 2-3 teaspoon of sugar (to taste, but use at least this much)
>
> Mix everything together and let sit in the fridge overnight. I serve
> in chilled Belgian ale chalices with a spoon for sipping and spooning.
>
> If it's too tart you can add a _very light dusting_ of baking soda to
> neutralize the acids and just use less vinegar next time.
>
> Lousy picture:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/72758916@N04/6572533167/in/photostream/
>
> -sw

So if you choose the cooked method, do you still leave the shrimp in acid
overnight?

I was thinking just a quick pass over a very hot fire, maybe just over the
charcoal chimney.

And yeah, I would eat this with Clamato. In prepared recipes I can deal with
tomato juice products, except for bloody marys.

The photo is either an extreme closeup or those are damn big 26/30s!

MartyB

Message has been deleted

Cheryl

Jun 16, 2012, 12:16:10 AM6/16/12
On 6/13/2012 12:49 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:34:16 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> I like the flavor of clams and clam juice, that's not the issue. I hate
>> tomato juice and the derivatives... not dislike, but hate. Yuck. But I'll
>> trust your point of view to the extent that if someone offered me a sip I
>> would try it. But every time I've bought a tomato juice derivative product
>> it went down the drain.
>
> Buy a $1 can of Clamato next time you're at the grocery store. Chill.
> Yourself a shot. Add 1 drop worcestershire per ounce, and a drop or
> three of hot sauce. If you don't like it I'll refund your money and a
> 6-pack next time I see you.

And add a shot of vodka for good measure. :)
Message has been deleted

Jean B.

Jun 18, 2012, 11:46:47 PM6/18/12
Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:22:02 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> I like V8. I suspect I will like Clamato, but I am wondering
>> whether it only comes in a big container.
>
> It comes in 5.5, 8, 10, 11.5, 12, 16, 32, 33.8, and 64 ounce
> containers. Now you have no reason not to try it :-)
>
> It also comes mixed with Budweiser and as an energy drink. Please
> stay clear of those!
>
> -sw

I detest beer. I will try to remember to get this when I am in
the beverage aisle of the store.

--
Jean B.
It is loading more messages.