So what did you have for dinner ??

Anne Elizabeth Callery

May 20, 1994, 5:03:39 AM5/20/94
Hmmm, Thursday night dinner...

I had szechuan chicken and pot stickers from Su Han in Menlo Park, CA

Very yummy.

Anne C

CAROL SHARP

May 20, 1994, 9:24:00 AM5/20/94
In article <2rhiuj$n...@pta.pyramid.com.au>, mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au (Michael Schmitz) writes...
> Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
> start a new thread .....
>
> Well for myself I had .... Grilled Lamb Chops ... with a good
> serve of Worchestire Sauce ( sp ) I just love the hint of anchovie in
> it .... mashed potatoes ( with butter ofcourse ) .... long and slender
> green beans ... baby carrots .... and some tiny baby squash .... all
> nuked ofcourse .... to accompany this was a generous quantity of
> a 89 Cab Sav from Penfolds .... ( there is no substitute for quality )
> and for desert ........ well another glass of the Cab Sav ... :-)
>
> So ..... what did you have ..... ????

We had Polynesian chicken kebobs (marinade is margarine, onion, vinegar,
plum preserves, soy sauce) with green pepper and pineapple, rice pilaf (got
the recipe from the list - thanks to whomever posted it - it's excellent!)
and stir fry veggies.
Carol Sharp
NASA/Lewis Research Center
prk...@lims02.lerc.nasa.gov

Sara Larson

May 20, 1994, 9:34:59 AM5/20/94
Bob Evan's sausage, saute'd with green onions,
White Wisconsin chedder cheese,
Flour tortillas
Combined in an appropriate manner and left in oven until cheese melted

Glen Ellen chardonnay accompanied this.

I learned from this that good ingredients make ordinary meals much
more flavorful. I count as good ingredients the sausage and the
cheese. The wine was fine, but not utterly thrilling.

We call this eat what's left of the good stuff before leaving for a
week's vacation. See you later!

-Sara

Charlie Johnston

May 20, 1994, 10:52:34 AM5/20/94
Let's see...last night I worked late. Stopped to get gas and grabbed
a diet cola and two packs of ToastChees. After a 45 minute drive home
(following an idiot in a van going 40 in a 55 zone on a two-lane no-pass
road), I had two Coors Lights and some bagel chip things while playing
a couple rounds of helicopter warfare on the PC to relax.

Total "dinner"
- 12 cheese cracker things, 1 diet cola, 2 light beers, handful of chips

Guess my dietary habits are gonna have to change, eh?

....charlie

Stephan Fassmann

May 20, 1994, 11:37:22 AM5/20/94
In article <2rhiuj$n...@pta.pyramid.com.au> mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au (Michael Schmitz) writes:
Tomato soup, and cheese covered English muffins.

Stephan Fassmann InterNet: $ste...@sasb.byu.edu GEnie: S.FASSMANN
carpe diem carpe noctem

Mark Horne

May 20, 1994, 4:36:00 AM5/20/94
Spinach pasta with a tomato-basil pesto, steamed asparagus, and lots of
Zinfandel (an '80 Louis Martini - fabulous)

Mark

Stan Horwitz

May 20, 1994, 9:17:34 AM5/20/94
Michael Schmitz (mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au) wrote:
: Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
: start a new thread .....

: So ..... what did you have ..... ????

I recently moved into a fancy apartment so I invited my parents over for
dinner last night. I made us chicken breasts that I cooked on my new indoor
barbecue grill. For vegies, I served some string beans and mushrooms plus
some fried potatoes. My parents were nice enough to bring the salad since
I don't eat salad and some cake to finish off the meal. It was a nice evening.

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

Thomas Fenske

May 20, 1994, 1:12:59 PM5/20/94
Wow ... I want to come over to EVERYBODY'S house for dinner.

Nothing fancy on Thursdays ... that's Pizza night at my house.
Supplies are a little low at the end of the pay period,
but managed a mini pepperoni pizza on whole wheat for the young 'un,
and let's see, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, green pepper and onion,
with chopped cooked tomatoes sprinkled throughout. A light dusting of
parmesan and mozzarella topped it off. Not fancy, but it sure was good.

Thomas Fenske
Duke University Press

John W. Stewart III

May 20, 1994, 2:12:29 PM5/20/94
This is different than just "what did you have for dinner,"
but here goes...

I took one of those Boboli bread shells, laid out a bunch
of nice fresh ripe tomato slices, spooned on some good
homemade marinara sauce, topped it with slices of vidalia
onion, yellow squash, and zuchinni, and finally threw on a
few handfulls of cheese (about 3 parts mozarella and 1 part
cheddar).

That was the first time I'd used a Boboli, and I was very
disappointed! I think that had the crust been better it
would have been a great pizza, but the Boboli had this weird
taste that I couldn't even recognize! yuck! I wanted to
take all my nice ingredients back (ripe tomato, vidalia,
etc.) but I couldn't.

Oh well .. live and learn.

/jws

P.S. The Boboli was still fresh according to the date
stamped on the package.

Judith O Wagner

May 20, 1994, 3:02:18 PM5/20/94
Thursday must be pizza night! We had a refrigerator model--homemade crust,
pepperoni, sausage, mozzarella, provolone, romano, and parmesan cheeses,
broccoli, red onion, green onion, and homemade tomato sauce. Truly
delicious!
--
Judy Wagner
ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult, Career, and Vocational Education

Charlie Johnston

May 20, 1994, 2:50:57 PM5/20/94
In article <2riuid$7...@news.CNRI.Reston.Va.US>, jste...@cnri.reston.va.us

(John W. Stewart III) wrote:

> That was the first time I'd used a Boboli, and I was very
> disappointed! I think that had the crust been better it
> would have been a great pizza, but the Boboli had this weird
> taste that I couldn't even recognize!

We do the Boboli thing quite frequently - using a pizza stone,
maybe that is the key. We also generally leave it in the
oven quite a bit longer than the directions say.

Only bad one I've made was during the height of my
chicken liver frenzy...but we won't go into that again! (shudder)

...charlie

szbo...@chip.ucdavis.edu

May 20, 1994, 3:06:09 PM5/20/94
Michael Schmitz (mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au) wrote:
: Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
: start a new thread .....

: So ..... what did you have ..... ????

:
: Michael.

This is in defense of Boboli pizza crusts. I've never
picked up on an off flavor with these. The trick with them is avoid
expecting them to taste like real pizza, or more to the point, have the
exact texture of same.

I was skeptical too, until my mate bought one, topped it with
some leftover marinara sauce, some kalamata olives, a few chopped
(salt-pack) anchovies, some leftover grilled Japanese eggplant, and some
good cheeses (mozzarella and romano, I believe). It was excellent,
although the crust was certainly breadier than real pizza - a sin in a
pizza parlor, but somehow OK at home. Since then I've used Boboli many
times with many different folks, and haven't heard any complaints (but
then what polite person would complain about free food?).

Will Borgeson <wdbor...@ucdavis.edu>

BRO...@caedm.et.byu.edu

May 20, 1994, 9:28:18 AM5/20/94
Um, I had a McDonald's happy meal.
(had to have the Animaniacs toy! :)

Shane Brock

Judith O Wagner

May 20, 1994, 3:49:42 PM5/20/94
Re Boboli--

Had one once--never again! Homemade is soooooooooo much better. The one
I had was ungood. But then, there's no accounting for taste!

Rich Randolph

May 20, 1994, 4:03:35 PM5/20/94
Tonight (Friday) we're having seafood pasta made with shrimp and fresh tuna
after starting with a small salad. There will also be a warm loaf of half
baked french bread from the deli down the street. The wine will be a
nice but inexpensive Chardonnay and we'll finish with coffee and Hershey
chocolates.

Note - We certainly don't eat like this all the time! I'm just cooking
up a surprise for the wife to inspire a particular mood. ;-)

sharon badian

May 20, 1994, 4:02:16 PM5/20/94
Fish Ole' (recipe follows, so simple it's ridiculous)
Couscous (quick method, cooked in chicken stock)
Steamed Artichokes with fatfree Good Seasons dressing made with
raspberry vinger
A glass of Muscadet (good but it's tough to find a wine that
works with salsa!)

Fish Ole' (from Simply Colorado)

1 1/4 lbs white fish (I used cod)
1 cup salsa
2-4 oz grated monterey jack cheese

Place fish in a baking pan. Pour on salsa. Sprinkle on cheese. Bake
for 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4.
--
Sharon Badian
AT&T Bell Labs - Denver

DeniseRN

May 20, 1994, 5:51:02 PM5/20/94
Thursday night I went out for dinner with some internet friends <yep,
there ARE live people behind the internet accounts> and had some kind
of pasta [Penne?] with a marinara sauce that included bacon in it.
Was actually pretty tasty! The garlic bread and salad were ok. Had
iced tea to go with it....

Tonight I don't feel like cooking, its been a rough week at work. I'm
in the mood for NC BBQ, so I may go for some take out! :-)

Lori Lee Darrow

May 20, 1994, 5:38:44 PM5/20/94
(John W. Stewart III) wrote:

> This is different than just "what did you have for dinner,"
> but here goes...
>

>(deleted)

All of this talk on the net about childhood comfort foods got me hungry for
the old days. I had hot dogs, with cheese stuffed inside, wrapped up in a
pilsbury crescent roll and baked in the oven. Yummm...Oh-and a couple
bottles o'Bud. What a gormet!
"I used to have something inside. Now just this hole that's open wide."
Nine Inch Nails
The opinions expressed above are not representative of Lockheed, NASA, or
the US Government in general. They're all mine.

SE...@slacvm.slac.stanford.edu

May 20, 1994, 7:09:36 PM5/20/94
Last night I went out for dinner, hot and spicy chicken,
steamed rice and POT STICKERS (with the hot oil and vinegar, YUM)

TONIGHT......

Fettuccine with Smoked Salmon, Goat Cheese, Leeks and Zucchini

You saute 4 chopped leeks in olive oil aprox 4 minutes,
add 2 chopped zuc's, saute til tender, aprox 3 mins,
add 1 cup of half and half (or whipping cream will work)
and 5 ounces of soft mild goat cheese, (such as montrachet)

Stir until goats cheese melts and remove from heat. Meanwhile
be boiling up some fettucine.

Drain fettucini and return to pot. Add sauce, toss till thoroughly
coated. Sprinkle with 1/4 pound of chopped smoked salmon. Serve.

(I reckon you can leave the salmon out, or use shrimp if you like)

From Bon Appetit....
So
Bon Appetit
Sharon

Rebecca E. Tants

May 20, 1994, 6:13:14 PM5/20/94
In article <2ri6vi$e...@sundog.tiac.net> El...@max.tiac.net (Ellen Savyon) writes:
>The leftover fetuccini alfredo from breakfast.

A woman after my own heart - I had Mozzerella Pasta:
Left over past, fried in some butter with a bit of minced
garlic and black pepper thrown in, then once warm added in
lots of Mozzerella cheese and allowed to brown some!

It was a stressful day - I usually eat better then that....

Becki
-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-
Becki Tants be...@ingres.com be...@cscns.com
What a fine Comedy this world would be if we didn't have to play a part in it
-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-=*=-

Ken Wong

May 21, 1994, 12:03:54 AM5/21/94

I had a very simple red clam sauce on spaghetti. Sautee 6 chopped
cloves of chopped garlic in extra virgin olive oil. Add some canned hot and
spicy spaghetti sauce, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Then add some canned
clams. Freshly grated parmesan is a must. Fast and simple. It should
take less than 20 minutes to do this. Also, the thought of eating another
hamburger today made me want to YAKK!

--
Ken Wong | "TRAB PU KCIP"
AC608 | "TRAB PU KCIP"
| -Milhouse

Kate Gardner

May 21, 1994, 6:09:15 AM5/21/94

I made Philly Cheese Steaks (finally) and with it, we had Tim's Cascade
Cajun Chips and Thomas Kemper cream sodas. mmm.

and (shameless plug for OmniWeb,our WWW reader) if you ever want to find
out what I made for dinner, try http://www.omnigroup.com/People/.
I *try* to update it every day, but sometimes I forget. :)

k.

Stan Horwitz

May 21, 1994, 8:35:15 AM5/21/94
Kate Gardner (ka...@manatee.omnigroup.com) wrote:

: I made Philly Cheese Steaks (finally) and with it, we had Tim's Cascade

: Cajun Chips and Thomas Kemper cream sodas. mmm.

Speaking of Philly Cheese Steaks, I am in a new apartment now for the first
week so some friends are coming over tonight (Saturday) to watch the second
to the last episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Our tradition is that
we get Philly Cheese Steaks to eat as we watch the first episode of ST:TNG
each season, however, since the show is winding down, we decided to do the
cheese steak thing at my apt tonight since there won't be a next season. We
are probably going to repeat this dinner (or maybe pizza) on Monday when the
final episode of ST:TNG is aired in our area (Philadelphia). Oh, and there
happens to be a pizza place right across from my apartment so we're going to
try their cheese steaks tonight. Their pizza, which I used to repay my movers
was quite good so their cheese steaks might be good too. Unfortunately, I
can think of some places which have great pizza and lousy cheese steaks, but
I hope this place has both good pizza and cheese steaks. I do not plan to
eat there often though since this stuff is so so fattening.

Peggy Shambo

May 21, 1994, 3:42:36 PM5/21/94

Last night I made myself a big salad: iceberg lettuce ripped up into
bite-sized pieces, a couple slices each of ham and turkey, cut into
bits, some Austrian smoked cheese in small bits, 1/2 an onion (chopped)
smothered with some Good Seasons Italian dressing (smuggled in by my
aunts on their periodic visits). With some Tuc crackers on the side.
I drank some really disgusting stuff called "Liptonice Light", which
purports to be a "low calorie sparkling iced lemon tea", but it's crap.
(IMHO) I won't be buying anymore of that stuff. No wonder the British
think I'm crazy for liking cold tea. [And Dandy Don Meredith would
not be happy with this drink, methinks.]

Peg Shambo
I'm an American. I live in England, which is in the United Kingdom
jaz...@cix.compulink.co.uk <--- see? it says "uk" on there!

>>>MATRIX version 1.21e

thomas barney

May 21, 1994, 1:56:23 PM5/21/94
We had round steak, broiled (I have this combination electric skllet with a
broiler element in it that does a nice job of broiling and is less messy
than the oven). Real mashed potatoes, cooked with two cloves of garlic and
mashed (skins on) with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Home-canned green beans
from last summer's garden. Milk to drink and mint-chocolate chip cookies
that my husband made, for dessert.

--Marilyn (not Thomas) Barney

BASEL, LESLIE

May 21, 1994, 9:36:00 PM5/21/94
Friday night: Went out to St Demetrious Church, for the semiannual
Greek Festival. I had the Athenian chicken/Greek salad/2 dolmalthes/
1 glass of Nemea Boutari; my fiance had the lamb/2 dolmalthes/1 gyro/
1 glass of the same. We walked around a bit, then got the the
dessert sampler, and 2 Greek coffees....
Oh yes, we bought one bottle of Nemea Boutari, one pound of imported
feta, and one pound of greek olives...
Leslie

Mary Ann Campbell

May 22, 1994, 2:15:39 AM5/22/94
In article <2rli07$f...@hebron.connected.com>,

thomas barney <cro...@hebron.connected.com> wrote:
>We had round steak, broiled (I have this combination electric skllet with a
>broiler element in it that does a nice job of broiling and is less messy
>than the oven). Real mashed potatoes, cooked with two cloves of garlic and
>mashed (skins on) with butter, milk, salt and pepper. Home-canned green beans
>from last summer's garden.

Marilyn,
I'm curious as to what home canned green beans taste like. I can remember
eating store-bought canned green beans that tasted like tin and salt
(except for the broad, Italian beans, which for some reason had some real
taste). Do the home-canned ones taste like you just picked them, or are
they somewhere in between the store ones and fresh?

P.S. At first I thought this thread was sorta dumb, but I'm really
enjoying it!
Mary Ann Campbell mary...@netcom.com
Berkeley

bulka

May 22, 1994, 5:07:42 AM5/22/94
Friday - Spagetti stir fried w/ red/green/yellow peppers & leeks w/ soy
sauce/wine vinegar Jug wine

Saturday - left-over stewed chicken, fried potatoes, chocolate ice cream

Peggy Shambo

May 22, 1994, 8:25:06 AM5/22/94

>From: rran...@magnus.acs.ohio-state (Rich Randolph)

Sounds like a lovely meal... except for the Hershey's chocolates [ackh!!]
But maybe you got lucky anyway? :-)

DeniseRN

May 22, 1994, 9:47:02 AM5/22/94
Thanks to all that are sharing recipes with their postings!! :-)

Last night's dinner was some pizza from a locally based pizzeria that
sure beats Dominos and Little Ceasars! [No offense intended to those
of you that work at these places...] I had some pizza with tomato,
pineapple, and feta cheese--its a wonderful combination!! [And
leftovers will be served for breakfast or lunch...]

Michelle A. Berteig

May 22, 1994, 7:33:57 PM5/22/94

Last night's dinner was roast beef cooked on a roterisserie over
a charcoal grill, steamed green beans with onions, and corkscrew
pasta with 4-cheese sauce, sourdough rolls, and cinnamon-almond
ice cream for dessert. Yum!

-Michelle

MA...@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au

May 22, 1994, 9:07:02 PM5/22/94
Friday: mushroom risotto with a green bean/capsicum salad
Saturday: I went back to my roots and made won-tons and spring rolls
and cold sesame noodles (altered for veg. friends).

Hmmm it was a good weekend...

Hindskw

May 22, 1994, 9:35:03 PM5/22/94

The Pickle Soup recipe that was on this group a while back (it's
pretty good!)
and some wonderful cheese biscuits and a little broccoli.

Alberto L. Zuniga

May 22, 1994, 10:27:55 PM5/22/94

Spicy sauteed shrimp, spinach egg noodles alfredo, and steamed green beans.
--
Alberto L. Zuniga - Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
zuni...@tsb1.tsbvi.edu (preferred), cs...@cleveland.freenet.edu

Mathew Burggraaff

May 22, 1994, 11:03:49 PM5/22/94

Well .. .since you asked ....

We had a BBQ in the backyard, now winter is coming on and its
getting cold it'll be the last one for a while :(

But .. back to the point... I had 2 New York cut steaks ... about
1 1/2 inches thick .. grilled over the fire, turned onece so they
were soooo tender and nice. With a side salad, some herb bread and
a glass of coke. Mmm ... yummy .. cant wait for summer to come
back again .. but then again I can go skiing now :)

Have fun all,
Mathew,
-Here and Now.

Michael Schmitz (mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au) wrote:
: Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
: start a new thread .....

: Well for myself I had .... Grilled Lamb Chops ... with a good
: serve of Worchestire Sauce ( sp ) I just love the hint of anchovie in
: it .... mashed potatoes ( with butter ofcourse ) .... long and slender
: green beans ... baby carrots .... and some tiny baby squash .... all
: nuked ofcourse .... to accompany this was a generous quantity of
: a 89 Cab Sav from Penfolds .... ( there is no substitute for quality )
: and for desert ........ well another glass of the Cab Sav ... :-)

James Speer

May 23, 1994, 12:50:40 AM5/23/94

Perogy, "oriental" chicken salad, mixed green veg, homemade bread.

Gooooooooodd....
Jim

Message has been deleted

bulka

May 23, 1994, 3:57:26 AM5/23/94
A McDonald's hamburger (The Flinstone's Mugs are excellent kitsch-ware,
but I hate having to eat the "food" that comes with)

Hummous, tomato, anise-bulb slices, and the last of my home-made
lif-fit (pickled turnips), w/ pita of course

If anyone is keeping score, I forgot to mention the guava paste and
Puerto Rican biscuits that finished my stir-fried spagetti & peppers
dinner on Friday (I've been feeling guilty about the omission).

Stan Horwitz

May 23, 1994, 10:14:05 AM5/23/94
This is a wonderful thread. Let's keep it going! For last night's (Sunday)
dinner, I had some left overs. A few days ago, I took a bottle of some tomato
sauce, a can of jellied cranberry sauce, a tiny can of tomato paste and some
spices and mixed them together in a pot and heated them until the cranberry
sauce was all melted into the rest of the mixture. This is a great sweet and
sour sauce. I also threw in some sauted chicken breast. I had this for dinner
that night over pasta and than it was enough for two lunches including today.
Its very good. I downed this with some diet Pepsi. I am not into wine, but I
think this would be a great dish to go with wine. Not sure which wine though.

Tonight's the final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Several friends
are coming over to watch it on my large stereo TV. We will probably order out
pizza. I wanted to make some tacos and fajitas for dinner for my guests, but
since Star Trek is starting fairly early in the evening, I won't have time to
do all that and still sit down and enjoy the show with my friends so pizza
is the best choice.

Elizabeth Molinaro

May 23, 1994, 9:56:38 AM5/23/94
In article <2rhiuj$n...@pta.pyramid.com.au>, mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au (Michael Schmitz) says:

> Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
> start a new thread .....

> So ..... what did you have ..... ????

Since you asked:

Garlic Fest!

0. Bruschetta and olives (kalamata and green olives in hot peppers) for an
appetizer
Dinner:
1. Rosemary/garlic turkey breast on the grill (a whole breast, stuffed with
rosemary and garlic under the skin and "marinate" the whole day)
2. Italian potato salad (potatoes, mint, garlic, olive oil, etc.)
3. Zucchini, fennel, onion, pepper veggie kabobs on the grill (basted with
oregano and olive oil)
Dessert:
4. Blackberry tart with whipped cream
5. Everyone else drank Korbel champagne (I'm a true believer that champagne
goes with everything--and it's effervescence does kind of refresh the
palate after several bites of a meal like the one above) or beer. I had my
water, like a good pregnant person. ; <

Elizabeth Molinaro
elizabeth...@daytonoh.ncr.com

Katrina R. Lane

May 23, 1994, 9:13:02 AM5/23/94
In article <maryanncC...@netcom.com> mary...@netcom.com (Mary Ann Campbell) writes:
>P.S. At first I thought this thread was sorta dumb, but I'm really
>enjoying it!

I actually have found it quite amusing and informative as well. So
here is my entry - I believe last Thursday was the night in question
(when I had one of my typical after work dinners - I only
really cook when I entertain on weekends- the rest of the time
my primarily requirement is fast and low fat). Anyway, I had an apple,
a cinnamon raisin bagel and low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt (Crowley
brand for those of you who can get it is, IMO, the best) with
low fat carob sauce that I make myself (chocolate allergy). The reason
I have found these posts interesting is because they lead to questions
and comments. So here is my question... I make my carob sauce with
evaporated skim milk, sugar and carob powder. I heat until thickened
then store in the refrigerator. Sometimes the sauce separates
and there is a layer of water on top that I have to stir back in
each time (if I pour it off eventually I end up with fudge not topping).
Anybody have any better ideas for how to make a fat free sauce
(if it has cocoa I can just substitute carob powder) that is
stable?

Thanks for your help.

Chris Devan

May 23, 1994, 10:39:55 AM5/23/94
Thanks to whomever explained the venturi to me, I was able to
grill a flank steak at just the proper heat and just the proper
timeing (6 mins per side) after it had marinated - not for
20-30 minutes but for four hours at least; the best flank
stealk I've run across in ages; with baked potatoes, green
beans, the first reat tomatoes of the season all preceeded (and
accompanied) by grayhounds (vodka dn grapefruit juice).
Splendid. Then, becasuse I had cleaned my gutters just before
dinner, I went to bed at 9:00 pm. I needed it. Chris

Kerry Ferris

May 23, 1994, 1:59:06 PM5/23/94
What a great thread!

On Saturday night I went over to my cousins' for dinner. For starters, we
had fresh mussels cooked in a tomatoey-garlicky broth. Dinner was all
arabic food (we're lebanese)--shish tawouk cooked outside on the BBQ grill,
some rice/vermicelli/pinenut/ground lamb thing which my grandmother used to
make but I don't know the name of, and a really great salad with tomatoes,
onions, pinenuts, feta, cucumbers and a super tangy dressing. Afterwards,
fresh strawberries! Yum!! It put me in the mood for good food, so last
night I baked my own fatayr (sort of related to foccacia) and just had that
with tabouli for dinner. Tonight I'll probably be back to the regular
routine featuring Trader Joe's canned goods...but it was a great weekend!

Kerry Ferris
kfe...@hup.ucla.edu

Cerebus

May 23, 1994, 2:03:50 PM5/23/94
Risotto with parmesan cheese, pesto and asparagus. Bloodly Mary Tomato Soup
(a cold tomato soup with tabasco, worcestershire and lime) and strawberries
with balsamic vinegar. It was a good meal.

Sharon Astyk

Manzoorul Hassan

May 23, 1994, 2:03:57 PM5/23/94

I had beef-biriyani and cucumbar salad. Don't ask fo recipe, my
friend made it. It was very good.

Martin Lee

May 23, 1994, 2:03:24 PM5/23/94
Saturday:

My love and I had apple-smoked, chicken breasts (K had BBQ sauce on the
side), steamed asparagus w/ a light, lemon sauce, a small sourdough loaf,
a bottle of Wiederkerhr Johannisberg Rielsling, and for dessert... well,
I can't talk about it here, but in the spirit of r.f.c, let's just say...
we really COOKED!

m...@osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu

Unknown

May 23, 1994, 3:42:27 PM5/23/94
Last night for dinner I made a dish that I had seen made in a workshop on
Saturday. It was polenta, layered in a baking dish with a cheese mixture in
between the layers, and parmesan on the top. The cheese layer had mozarella,
roquefort (was supposed to be gorgonzola, but that's what I had), parmesan and
mascarpone. The polenta came out great, but I think that if I make it again I'll
use less cheese.

/C

Glenn Burnham

May 23, 1994, 5:37:15 PM5/23/94
A peanutbutter 'n jelly sandwich...

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
glenn_...@iegate.mitre.org $$ o
(Any opinions expressed $$"" $$$ $$$
by me belong to me, not "oo $" $o $$ $$
to my employer) "oo "o $o "$$$ "$ oo
$" "" $ o$$$$
o$$o o $$$" $
$" ""o "" $
$" $ $"
oo o$o$ o "
$o $ " o
"$ o o""
"$ooo o"oo
"Hey man, "$o """oo oo "o
don't get all $ $" "" (Pict swiped from
uncool 'n heavy o " oo o" ftp.ncsu.edu)
on me!"-- Neil, "oo oo""""""""
The Young Ones
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

sheldon White

May 23, 1994, 3:13:47 PM5/23/94
Broiled salmon steaks with a Shiitake mushroom / Ginger sauce.

Life is good... :^)

-sheldon white- :^/

she...@netlabs.com

Dan Masi

May 23, 1994, 4:39:00 PM5/23/94

Michael Schmitz (mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au) wrote:
: Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
: start a new thread .....
:
: So ..... what did you have ..... ????
:
:
: Michael.

Cool thread! I think it should be kept alive for a long time, it's
especially refreshing to hear what people REALLY ate last night!

Us? It was a "Uh oh, what about dinner" kinda night. Had a margarita
and some chips & salsa (staples that I consider a MUST to have on hand.
BTW, anyone tried any of the fat-free salsas and dips from the Saguaro
potato chip company?? The black bean dip is phenominal!!!). Cooked
some garlic & basil fettucinne, tossed it with butter & fresh parmesan,
and ate hungrily with a glass of wine. Then split a chocolate pastry
that was supposed to be for dessert the previous night, with a bit of
port.

Oh, you forgot to ask 'bout breakfast! Coffee, orange juice, a fruit
salad of sliced fresh peaches and raspberries, and french toast w/
maple syrup. My french toast? Certainly...

For batter, beat together:
3 eggs
some milk
touch of cream
1/4 tsp vanilla
tsp confectioner's sugar
pinch of cinnamon
tiny pinch of nutmeg

Slice some Challah bread, preferably a bit stale, into slices oh, almost
an inch thick, I guess. Put a slice into batter, turn over 3-4 times,
fry in butter over medium heat until each side is brown. Dust with
confectioner's sugar and serve w/ butter and warmed maple syrup.

Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.
da...@warren.mentorg.com

Tom Tomazin

May 23, 1994, 3:16:35 PM5/23/94
Sat-
Went to a Central/South American Cuisine restaurant called El Rinconcito.
Had the Combo Latino which was a salad with chipotle ranch dressing
(garnished with jicama, yum), an amberjack fillet with chimichurri (sp?),
and large shrimp coated with jalapeno cheese and wrapped in bacon.
Outstanding.

Sun-
Grilled some Johnsonville Brats after simmering them in beer, onions and
garlic. Served on buns with spicy mustard and 1015 yellow onions. Washed
them down with some fresh Celis White (that's a Belgian Wit Beer).

Thomas Tomazin Parallel Scalable Processor Design
MOTOROLA SPS, Inc. to...@nano.sps.mot.com
505 Barton Springs Rd. Suite 1055 Austin, Texas 78762

"How therapeutic it is to surround yourself
with people weirder than yourself."
--Spalding Gray

Dan Masi

May 23, 1994, 5:30:34 PM5/23/94

Last night: boiled brisket of Irish Setter with cabbage, potatoes,
and stout.

Dessert? Portugese Water Dog with Port.

Tonight: Roast German Shepherd in a brown sauce with spatzle and
carmelized onions.

Dessert? Just some Hot Chocolate Lab.

We might do a Saint Bernard flambeed in rum tomorrow, or have some
wiener dogs on the grill.

Besides, why d'ya think they call 'em Chows?

Dan Masi
Mentor Graphics Corp.
da...@warren.mentorg.com

(sorry, I really do like this thread a lot. I just couldn't resist.)

Message has been deleted

Joan Masters

May 23, 1994, 6:45:57 PM5/23/94
Salad (mixed greens, green onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, vinegar & oil dressing)
Baked Potato
Steamed Broccoli w/parmesan cheese
Steamed Asparagus Tips
Roast Pork Loin (marinated with mustard, garlic, onions, guava juice)`
Strawberries and Peaches

---
joan.m...@Eng.Sun.COM

Sergei K. Krikunov

May 23, 1994, 9:11:12 PM5/23/94
Well, to go along with the last Star Trek (boo-hoo!) I made a broccoli and
corn chowder, had challah, a salad with carrots, peas, and blanched green
beans (hubby is out of town and would never eat that), and a steamed
chocolate pudding for dessert. I love my pressure cooker.
Of course, I shared this with a friend.

Megan Nachod

Ken Wong

May 23, 1994, 11:12:30 PM5/23/94

I had take out. Swiss Chalet. I ate the double leg dinner. Now
I feel like I have a giant rock in my stomach and this is 4 hours later.
But of course the food was free, so it was good!

--
Ken Wong | "D-OHH!"
AC608 | "A DEER!"
| "A FEMALE DEER!"
- Homer, Marge & Lisa Simpson

Pat Churchill

May 23, 1994, 11:47:59 PM5/23/94

Well, we had three other couples over to our house for the first of our
international dinners. We plan to meet every 2-3 months, each night at a
different home, and each time for a different cuisine. The idea is one
couple provides the pre-dinner nibbles, another the first course, the
hosts provide the main course and anothr couple does dessert.

We decided to eat *Mediterranean.* The first couple brought thin toasted
French bread rounds, some with pesto and anchovies, others with tapenade.

The first course was squid hoods stuffed with rice and pine nuts and
served with a tomato sauce. This was accompanied with an anise flavoured
drink.

I cooked rabbit in a spiced red wine sauce. It was served with an Italian
salad, carrots cooked with capers, and mushrooms with tomato and rosemary
(the vegetable dishes fromMarcella Hazan's book. This was served with a
choise of Italian white or red wine.

For dessert the fourth couple provided a french fruit flan and they
brought along a selection of liqueurs from Mediterranean countries. (No
we didn't work our way through the lot :-) )

We finished with coffee, florentines and amaretti. We had a great night.
It was extra fun because each course was a surprise, yet the menu fitted
together well. And no one was faced with the daunting task of preparing
several courses - we're all pretty busy and no one really has time for a
kitchen marathon these weekends. There was a lot of fun in the planning.

No shortage of volunteers to host the next dinner in a couple of months :-)

--
< The floggings will continue until morale improves >
< pch...@actrix.gen.nz >

bulka

May 24, 1994, 3:04:00 AM5/24/94
Monday -

rice w/ bangool (an experiment)
ground turkey in mole (a left-over)
artichoke (also left-over) with butter and lemon

washed down with a liitle too much of Christian Brothers Frost White
Brandy

Redante Asuncion

May 24, 1994, 8:50:45 AM5/24/94
Hi all,

I had vegetarian sukiyaki: spinach, onions and tofu cooked together in a
mixture of 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup soy sauce and 2 TP sugar. It's a great
low fat meal that you can eat as much as you want without feeling guilty :-)
(Other stuff that can be used:mushrooms and ground beef; brown the beef
first before putting in the other ingredients, reserving the block of
tofu for last.)

RA

Manzoorul Hassan

May 24, 1994, 10:42:06 AM5/24/94

For dinner I had Chop, some eggs (fried with onion and green
chilli), hamburger helper and tuna helper and some potato chips.
I was just making the tuna helper when it didn't seem too
appetizing, so I made some hamburger helper ( I used ground chicken
instead of the ground beef). Now I have all this food in the fridge that
I 'm sure I'm going to hate eating today. I'll have to get somebody else
to eat it so that I can justify cooking tomorrow. Hey finals are over and
I don't have anything else to do.
Maybe I should explain the chop thing. It may not be what you all
thought it was. It has some cooked and shredded meat that's covered with
mashed potatoes and then covered with bread-crumbs. It is then fried in
oil. Very good and pretty in-expensive. I make it whenever I have some
meat that didn't turn out to be too good.
Well that was it. Till again,

-Manzoor. ^_^
+ Email man...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu + 'Every crisis is an opprtunity.' +

ANN M. SCHADLER

May 24, 1994, 10:45:10 AM5/24/94
In article <Cq47q...@ucdavis.edu>, szbo...@chip.ucdavis.edu () writes:
>Michael Schmitz (mi...@pta.pyramid.com.au) wrote:
>: Ok .... so I'm a little bored ... and a tad curious .... lets
>: start a new thread .....
>
>: So ..... what did you have ..... ????
>
>:
>: Michael.

Chicken Nuggets & Tater Tots Michael ... what else? :-)

* Ann Schadler - AMS1 *
* VP for Student Affairs Office *
* Lehigh University *

Diane Bongiorni

May 24, 1994, 11:43:14 AM5/24/94
Last night in honor or the finale of Star Trek the next generation I
ordered delivery from the Hunan Regent. My chicken in lettuce leaf and
brocoli with garlic sauce were good. The steak kew I ordered for my honey
ended up being some kind of breaded sweet&sour thingy. He said it was ok,
after he got over the shock.

DB
--
"Helpless feelings diminish when you move into useful activities."
Descent of the Dove

Opinions plentiful and all mine.

bulka

May 25, 1994, 2:22:02 AM5/25/94
Tuesday -

'Stew' of ground turkey, curry spices, rice,tomato sauce

and deep fried slices of potato with yogurt and hot sauce

Mike Schechter

May 24, 1994, 10:59:01 AM5/24/94
last night... mmm ??
oh yeah...
store had broccoli and london broil on sale so.....

steak sliced thin, pan cooked until just done in garlic,ginger,redpepper, then
scallions, daikon, hoisin sauce, water, and Melinda's added..
cooked a bit, more then broccoli tossed in till heated.
served over basmati rice.
mmmm
Mike Schechter | Mike_Sc...@isr.syr.edu
Systems Engineer | i...@syr.edu
Institute for Sensory Research | (315)443-9742

Message has been deleted

Michael Kankiewicz

May 24, 1994, 11:52:52 AM5/24/94

A roasted chicken after marinating in Chiavettas. Vidalia onions and yellow
squash roasted in the same pan. Risotto with porcini shrooms and plenty of
black pepper :0

Christine Neidecker

May 25, 1994, 12:44:43 PM5/25/94
>Cool thread! I think it should be kept alive for a long time, it's
>especially refreshing to hear what people REALLY ate last night!

My dinner was confusing last night. Since my husband had eaten a late
lunch, we decided to eat something small -- just quesedillas on the grill
(made with tortillas and salsa purchased last weekend in Austin!!).

However, the cheese we intended to use had gone moldy, so quesedillas were
out, and my husband decided he just wasn't hungry anyway. Meanwhile, I'd
been roasting peppers, grilling zucchini, and boiling pasta for pasta salad
anyway, so I decided to steal the pasta away from the salad and make
a little pasta with vodka sauce instead (of course we didn't have any
vodka...but it was still quite tasty).

Afterwards I was stuck with a bunch of peppers to peel and needed to cook
more pasta for the salad, so I shoved all the pasta-salad-in-progress
ingredients into the fridge and decided to deal with it another day (which means
there was nothing for lunch today, sigh).

Later that evening, we spread butter and sprinkled cinnamon sugar on the
tortillas, rolled them up, and nuked them for 30 seconds....mmm, great
dessert!

Tonight, maybe I'll roast a chicken....we can use the leftovers in the
pasta salad (should I actually be motivated to finish making it tonight).

Chris

Thomas Fenske

May 25, 1994, 1:14:28 PM5/25/94
Last night I fired up the old grill (not the newspaper cooker!)
and cooked steaks. Served up with fresh cantelope and fresh corn.

The steaks were 'london top broil' and pork blade steaks. All were very
good and I cooked more than we needed so we could freeze some and
enjoy it another day, too.

Thomas Fenske

Thomas Fenske

May 24, 1994, 12:32:57 PM5/24/94
In article <2rpnl6$2...@news1.mcs.com>, bulka <bu...@mercury.mcs.com.> wrote:
>A McDonald's hamburger (The Flinstone's Mugs are excellent kitsch-ware,
>but I hate having to eat the "food" that comes with)

Just a side note to this comment. You don't *have* to eat the food.
You can usually just buy their promotional items. If the counter-person
doesn't want to/know how to do it, ask for the manager. FYI, you can
do this with their collectible 'Happy Meal' toys as well. The kids don't want
the food either ... they usually just want the toy, so buy it and go eat
someplace good.

Oh, yeah, the thread. Related to the above, too. Finally broke
down and took the kid to Chucky Cheese. Suggest you skip the food
there as well. 'urp'

Thomas Fenske
Duke University Press tfdp...@acpub.duke.edu
"You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead."
Stan Laurel

Andrew Peed

May 24, 1994, 12:35:44 PM5/24/94
We had a favorite standard at our house: "stuff". Typical recipe:

Take a package of whatever meat jumps into your hand when you
open the freezer. Thaw.
Open the spice cabinet. Take appropriate spices for whatever
strikes your fancy.
Chop up onions and garlic, and saute in whatever oil seems
appropriate with whatever you've already grabbed.
Chop up the meat, throw in other veggies that catch your eye.

Taste. Determine whether rice, noodles, or potatoes are called
for. Choose and cook accordingly. Mix in if desired.

Eat.
Demolish kitchen looking for more.

Last nights creation was a very delectable mixture of brats, tomatoes, basil,
garlic, onion, and noodles.

-- Andy

Michael Kankiewicz

May 25, 1994, 9:36:02 AM5/25/94

Shake 'N Bake chicken wings! In a savage mood.
MK

Linda Snow

May 24, 1994, 12:53:11 PM5/24/94

PLEASE POST RECIPE!!!!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Amy Michaels

May 25, 1994, 12:07:27 PM5/25/94
Tonight I'm making a dinner for friends in honor of the approaching summer
season (here in Seattle we get excited about imminent sunshine :) ).
We're having:

Fried Sage Leaves with Lemon
Arugula and Pear Salad
Grilled Quail with Cumin
Green Beans with Tomato and Coriander
Lemon Pots du Creme
Chocolate-Ginger Biscotti

Can't wait!

Amy

Brenda Turner

May 24, 1994, 8:04:34 PM5/24/94
Last weekend I made the Lemon Pasta w/ Roasted Asparagus that was posted
earlier (maybe not this newsgroup, but thanks anyway), it was wonderful!!!
I highly recommend it and it was not very difficult to make at all. I added
chopped vine ripened tomatoes, sauteed mushrooms and shrimp to the recipe,
it follows:

Lemon Pasta with Roasted Asparagus
Adapted from _Little Meals_ by Rozanne Gold, source Seattle Times

10 asparagus stalks, ends snapped 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1 Tbsp olive oil, divided 1/3 cup plus 2 Tbsp grated
1/2 tsp salt, divided Parmesan cheese, divided
12 oz fettuccine 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup dry white wine 4 Tbsp butter
3 shallots, chopped 1 Tbsp minced chives
3 lemons 1 Tbsp minced mint

Wash and dry asparagus. Place stalks in a baking pan large enough to hold
them in one layer, and gently rub them with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over the asparagus and bake in a preheated 425
degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the
stalks. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

In a generous amount of salted boiling water, cook the fettuccine until al
dente. Drain, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.

Pour wine into a large skillet or pan. Add shallots. Reduce over medium
heat to one half. Wash lemons well with soap and water, rinse and dry.
Add grated rind and juice from 2 lemons to the wine. Simmer 2 minutes.

Add cream. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and add 1/3 cup cheese, 1/4
teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer slowly, whisking constantly,
about 4 minutes, or until sauce begins to thicken. Cut cold butter into
small pieces and add to the sauce, cooking 1 minute. Add asparagus, pasta
and 2 tablespoons cheese. Toss until pasta is thoroughly coated with sauce
and heated through.

Divide pasta evenly in heated plates or soup bowls. Sprinkle with grated
peel from remaining lemon, chives and mint.

Thursday (Thursday seems to be a big cooking day for us all) I am going to
make chicken and stuffing casserole and bubbles and squeak (also from this
group), they follow also.

CHICKEN (OR TURKEY) AND STUFFING CASSEROLE

Saute 1 small onion and 2 stalks of celery (chopped) in 1 stick of butter.
Mix with 1 package of Pepperige Farms herb stuffing and 1 and 1/2 cups of
chicken or
turkey stock.
Reserve 1 heaping cup of stuffing mix for later. Press remaining in greased
2 quart
casserole dish.
Top with 2 to 3 cups of chopped cooked chicken or turkey.
Top that with a mixture of 1 cup sour cream and 1 can of condensed creamy
chicken
soup (or chicken and mushroom).
Sprinkle remaining stuffing mix on top and cook in 350Ą oven for 30
minutes.

VARIATIONS:
Add chopped water chestnuts, mushrooms, or pecans.

Bubble & Squeak
(Wales-Ireland--old recipe)

3-4 unpeeled potatoes-boiled
4 cups cabbage-chopped & blanched
1/2 med yellow onion-peeled & chopped
1 (smallish) zucchini-grated

4-5 slices bacon-browned & chopped. Save the fat!!
1/2 cup chopped ham
fresh ground pepper to taste (salt)

mash the potatoes with your hands-don't mash them too much-just smash them
up. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the reserved fat. Toss
gently to mix.

Heat (preferably in non-stick) pan. Place bacon fat in pan...press potato
mixture on top.

Brown over medium heat until golden brown on bottom (about 1/2 hour).

Invert on plate & serve.

ENJOY! I (we) sure did (will)!
Brenda
my own stuff, not my employers

Stan Horwitz

May 25, 1994, 1:02:07 PM5/25/94
Last night's dinner was two very small chuck steaks cooked over my electric
counter top barbecue. They were marinated in soy sauce, pepper, parsley,
and garlic powder over night. With this, I had some yams and some string beans.

--
My name is Stan Horwitz and my E-mail address is st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu
My opinions are all mine. They do not reflect those of my employer.

Stan Horwitz

May 24, 1994, 3:37:42 PM5/24/94
Diane Bongiorni (dbong...@pbs.org) wrote:
: Last night in honor or the finale of Star Trek the next generation I

: ordered delivery from the Hunan Regent. My chicken in lettuce leaf and
: brocoli with garlic sauce were good. The steak kew I ordered for my honey
: ended up being some kind of breaded sweet&sour thingy. He said it was ok,
: after he got over the shock.

In honor of last night's Star Trek episode, I invited a few die hard Star
Trek fans over. We all ordered dinner from a local pizza place for delivery.
I had a fried chicken dinner with french fries and a lot of ketchup. It was
quite good. Most everyone else had Philly cheese steak sandwhiches with
french fries. One person who is a vegetarian just had a small plain pizza.
We all washed down our dinner with either Pepsi, Coke or a diet version. We
also had beer, but I didn't drink any of it.

Stephen R. Perkins

May 25, 1994, 3:08:58 PM5/25/94

Spaghetti, for the umpteenth straight meal... [grumble, grumble]

Steve, whose scholarship check finally comes in tomorrow!

Steve Perkins In Swiss exile. /\
Mattengasse 4 (What a^tragedy!...NOT!) /\_ / \ /
CH-8005 Zurich /\ / \ /^^ \/^^-^\/^
Switzerland /^^/^^^\/\ /\_/\_/ \
/ / \_ /\/ \___ \
E-mail: per...@stud.ee.ethz.ch / \~~~~~~~/ \

Young Sul

May 25, 1994, 1:21:03 PM5/25/94
Um,

I had ramen for dinner (the kind you can buy 6 for a dollar). I threw a
beaten egg into it and added a lot of tabasco. Then I took the whole pot
('cause it has a handle) and watched the Frug while I ate.

BTW, I've found that a regular diet of ramen doesn't keep you regular.

--
--------------------- ------------------------------
Young Sul Harvard University Library

Roberto Celi

May 24, 1994, 6:32:43 PM5/24/94
Last night I made industrial quantities of vegetable couscous (it has
onions, bell peppers, carrots, zucchini, and raisins, plus spices). It
takes maybe half an hour to make, it's very good, keeps very well on
the fridge and also in the freezer, and remains very good after nuking!
So that's also what I'm going to have for six or seven dinners (not
consecutive! it's not _that_ good!!!)

Roberto

Roberto Celi Phone: (301) 405-1132
Helicopterologist FAX: (301) 314-9001
Department of Aerospace Engineering Shoe size: 13 (US)
University of Maryland 47 (Italy)
College Park. MD 20742
-------------------------------------+ XXXXXXXX
| XXXXXXXXXX
| XX XX
| XX O O XX
| | |
| | XXXXX |
| \ \___/ /
| \ /
| Ñ-----
+--------------------------

Nicole Okun

May 24, 1994, 9:11:45 PM5/24/94
Last night was a clear out the fridge (take no prisoners) kind of night, so
dinner turned out to be --- TA-DAAA --- stir fry.

Cooked up some brown rice.

Did the stir fry thing with onion, a few white mushrooms, half a green
pepper, half an orange pepper, three skinny (and sadly flexible) carrots,
some peeled broccoli stems, walnut pieces and cubed tofu.

After a little frying and stirring, added a mixture of homemade sweet and
sour apricot sauce and soy sauce, a little water, and popped a lid on the
wok to braise the vegs.

Spooned the veggies over the rice, added a few drops of sesame oil, et
voila.

....Mind you, there's still a container of something indescribable lurking
in the back of the third shelf down of the fridge... Some things are
perhaps best left alone....

Judith O Wagner

May 25, 1994, 3:45:45 PM5/25/94
Last night was brats & sauerkrat & a modified german potato salad.

Tonight is "real" pizza with pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, mushrooms,
mozzarella, provolone, parmesan, & romano. With homemade crust and
sauce. We love it.
--
Judy Wagner
ERIC Clearinghouse on Adult, Career, and Vocational Education
1900 Kenny Road wagn...@osu.edu
Columbus, OH 43210 (800) 848-4815

Nancy A Howells

May 25, 1994, 3:22:41 PM5/25/94

Worked late last night, and the office provided dinner, which was (for
me) a ham and herbed-cheese sandwich on homemade white bread, a pasta
salad that tasted wonderfully tex-mex, chunks of fresh pineapple, and
a piece of not-the-best-but-good tiramisu... all made by the S&S Deli
in Cambridge.

John Linthicum

May 25, 1994, 8:20:25 AM5/25/94
To begin with we had a nice bottle of Zinfandel from the
Wintergreen winery. Then a nice sourdough loaf and some of the
creamiest lump crab soup I've ever eaten. My wife had crab
croquettes; sort of a crabcake that looked like a hushpuppy,
she seemed to enjoy it immensely. I had crab-steak imperial. A
filet mignon cooked medium, then butterflied and 'stuffed' with
crab imperial and baked again. Some herb-roasted potatoes,
fresh steamed asparagus, and some carrots rounded out our
meal. Then, for desert, some home-made chocolate/amaretto
ice-cream, that was served in a rounded toffee cup that could
be eaten, also. A nice expresso rounded out the evening for us.

(This is one of the most enjoyable threads, I've read in a long
time. Actually it's one that just about anyone can participate
in. I hope this one goes on for a long time, as we all eat
everyday.)

| John T. Linthicum | |
| jo...@hopper.itc.virginia.edu | |
| HOO-RAH! | For Office Use Only |

Pat Churchill

May 26, 1994, 12:36:12 AM5/26/94
In article <1994May23....@newsgate.sps.mot.com>,
Tom Tomazin <tomt@nano> wrote:

> Sun-
> Grilled some Johnsonville Brats after simmering them in beer, onions and
> garlic. Served on buns with spicy mustard and 1015 yellow onions. Washed
> them down with some fresh Celis White (that's a Belgian Wit Beer).

A suburb near my home is called Johnsonville. I can just see a pile of
little brats from there simmered in beer and served on buns... :-)

OK. Last night we had beef casserole done with cumin, red wine, garlic
and mushrooms - oh, and hot peppers - accompanied by just-cooked cabbage,
carrot rings and French bread. It's winter here, you know.

--
< The floggings will continue until morale improves >
< pch...@actrix.gen.nz >
< Pat Churchill, Wellington, New Zealand >

Chris Devan

May 24, 1994, 1:13:35 PM5/24/94
Just back from lunch - gaspacho with shrimp, tossed
salad of zuccini & yellow squash, cucumbers, red epppers, etc
w/mustard honey dressing, and foccaccio. I try to eat good
even if I can['t spell. Chris

car...@shrsys.hslc.org

May 25, 1994, 5:25:07 PM5/25/94
Try adding some orange juice to your french toast batter. It
s great!

Shane Brock

May 25, 1994, 11:13:41 AM5/25/94
Last night I finally tried a friend's recipe for zucchini - ham quiche.
1 C each shredded zucchini, chopped ham, cheddar and jack cheeses in the
bottom of a slightly baked pie crust
4 eggs and two cups half & half mixed and poured over
Baked 400 F (maybe 450 but I think not) for 1 hour.

This was my first quiche experience, and I was thrilled that it turned out,
and actually tasted good.

Shane Brock

Brenan McCarragher

May 25, 1994, 12:02:11 AM5/25/94
Had a spanish pot roast (beef roast suffed with olives and almonds, yum), roasted potatoes and peas.

B.

car...@shrsys.hslc.org

May 25, 1994, 5:30:10 PM5/25/94
My sister has a great recipe for what she calls "inside-out" chicken, and
it goes like this:
Cover boneless breasts in melted butter (lots)
Dip in a mixture of pounded poultry-seasoned stuffing mix, parmesean cheese,
garlic powder and black pepper; coat all around
Place coated breasts in glass baking pan and pour the remaining stuffing mix-
ture over the breasts in the pan.
Now pour the remaining melted butter over the breats and cook, uncovered,
at 375-400 for about 50 min.
They're great!

car...@shrsys.hslc.org

May 25, 1994, 5:47:26 PM5/25/94
Had a tombstone frozen pizza and shared a bottle of Glen Ellen Merlot.
For desert, had coffee with International Delight Irish Creme creamer and
Chips Ahoy chocolate chunk chocolate chip cookies (the ones in the dark
brown bag).

Brenda Turner

May 25, 1994, 6:58:17 PM5/25/94
Made the Lemon Pasta with Roasted Asparagus I found either here or
rec.food.recipes listed below. I highly recommend it, it was fantastic!!! I
added chopped vine ripened tomatoes and sauteed sliced mushrooms and shrimp
to the dish...delish!! Tomorrow night I'm making chicken and dressing
casserole along with Bubbles and squeak (also found on this group - it's
very good too). They also follow...all highly recommended. All to be served
with Cakebread Saviougn Blanc (sp)!! Enjoy!

[...]

Enjoy - Brenda (my own stuff, not my employers)

Stan Horwitz

May 25, 1994, 9:49:41 PM5/25/94
Hello folks;

Several days ago, I received coupons from a local grocery store for a free
dozen eggs, a free pound of bacon, free package of english muffins and a free
free container of frozen orange juice. This was their way of welcoming me to
my new neighborhood.

I rarely make myself eggs or anything else hot for breakfast, but I couldn't
pass up all these free things so I decided to go to this grocery store
after work today and pick up those things. I also picked up a couple of
other items while I was there that were not free, but I only spent $5
so I think this was a very profitable trip to the market.

Anyway, I made myself two scrambled eggs with some spices mixed into them.
I also had 4 strips of the bacon, one english muffin with a little margarine
on it, and some french fries (prevously frozen). Since I have only one juice
container and it already has some juice in it now, I didn't use the OJ yet.
I just downed my vittles with some caffine free diet Pepsi. This was my
Wednesday night dinner.

This is definitely not a fancy dinner. I enjoy cooking very much and I
like to experiment, but not when I cook for just myself which I do a lot
since I am single. I do my fancy cooking for company. Since I do not want
to eat all those eggs and bacon myself, I plan to invite my parents over
with my sister to help me finish off this stuff for breakfast this weekend.

Kate Atherley

May 26, 1994, 1:20:10 PM5/26/94
In article <2rqdnd$p...@cronkite.ocis.temple.edu>,
Stan Horwitz <st...@astro.ocis.temple.edu> wrote:
>Tonight's the final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Several friends
>are coming over to watch it on my large stereo TV. We will probably order out
>pizza. I wanted to make some tacos and fajitas for dinner for my guests, but
>since Star Trek is starting fairly early in the evening, I won't have time to
>do all that and still sit down and enjoy the show with my friends so pizza
>is the best choice.

For our Star Trek party, we had homemade tomato and mushroom quiche, with
a tossed salad (romaine, green and yellow peppers, mushrooms and green
onions) with a honey Dijon dressing. Dessert was an amazing Toblerone
mousse, prepared by a Swiss friend. Recipe will be posted as soon as I
can convince him to translate it for me.

Wines to accompany: a 1992 Medoc, and a Canadian Pinor Noir (Point Pele'e).
Both a bit young, and didn't really go with the food, but we enjoyed them
anyway.

Kate

Jan Penovich

May 26, 1994, 4:27:27 PM5/26/94
Roasted chicken with onion slices and lime juice under the
skin and garlic slivers stuck into the meat, cooked on one of
those vertical chicken roasting thingies, steamed fresh string
beans, and homemade mashed potatoes.

TTFN, * jpen...@encore.com
jan penovich
* Encore Computer Corp.

Ellen Savyon

May 20, 1994, 7:29:54 AM5/20/94
The leftover fetuccini alfredo from breakfast.

(grin)

Ellen Savyon
Professional Software Engineering, Inc.

El...@tiac.net

jenette.m.bolduc

May 23, 1994, 4:53:52 PM5/23/94

For dinner on Friday evening, I made the following for some of my
friends (AKA guinne pigs):

Roasted Red Pepper Dip -
served with toasted sourdough and steamed broccoli

Caesar Salad (with anchovies, of course)
Penne with Absolut Peppar Vodka Sauce (most excellent)

Lime Tart (with candied lime zest)

Went over in a BIG way!!

Jenette Bolduc
AT&T Bell Laboratories j...@globe1.att.com

J. Paul Deragon

May 26, 1994, 11:53:33 AM5/26/94

I actually went out to the Mesa Grill here in NYC and for a start
had a Grilled Veggie Quesidilla with a roasted red pepper glaze, and for an
entree I had Grilled lamb chops served with garlic spinach and this very weird
sweet potato dish. Its was very thinly sliced sweet potatoes layered in a
dish with a spicy thick cream base. Very verrrrrrry good. The lamb was
grilled to a perfect medium rare and served with a sweet and sour glaze.

*sigh*

My SO had grilled Atlantic salmon with black pepper spoon bread and
smoked asparagus. Awesome!

I _highly_ recommend Mesa Grill (15th street and 5th ave, NYC). One
of the things I like most about this resturant is I asked the waiter what
was in the red pepper sauce for the appetizer, and he gave me the whole
ingredient list. He also said the chef (Bobby Flay), would give you _any_
of the resturants recipes if you call them up during the day and speak to
someone at the office. He said they would even fax them to you if you wanted!

Wow! I am hungry now!

jpd

--
john paul deragon What is the path? There is no path. -- Goethe
der...@doc.nyu.edu

Diana Foss

May 27, 1994, 11:04:23 AM5/27/94

Last night we finally ate at home, so I can contribute. We had
gazpacho and corn muffins. Yum!

Diana Foss

ka...@helix.mgh.harvard.edu

May 27, 1994, 3:30:29 PM5/27/94
I made a monstrous amount of gnocchi last weekend, and finished them off
last night with a lot of melted butter and parmesan cheese. MMMMMMM.
That was it--not very nutritionally balanced, maybe, but yummy.

Junko

Nancy A Howells

May 27, 1994, 3:54:37 PM5/27/94

It was brats and carrots for us. Obligatory yellow mustard on the
brats, which were in white buns, and gingerale to dink.

Dessert, I am ashamed to admit, was sugar wafers and milk.

--Nancy "I've never met a Friday I didn't like."
how...@athena.mit.edu

It is loading more messages.