Recipe for NYC Sweet Onion Relish Please?

ro...@ultimax.com

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97

Greetings, all.I've been experimenting in the kitchen trying to recreate
that special orange-yellow onion relish New York street vendors use on
their hot dogs. I'm relying on my memory from childhood, which, to judge
by the results, shouldn't be relied on.Here's what I'm doing so far:Slice
large Vidalia (sweet) onion very thinSaute in 1-2 tb butter.Sprinkly
liberally with paprika.When onions are real limp and hot, add 1/4 cup of
water.After huge cloud of steam subsides,sprinkle 1-2 tsp of sugarstirand
allow to carmelize (a little)The result in fact is pretty tasty,
especially on pierogies, but I can tell it's not what I'm looking
for.Anybody out there in the world know how to do it right?You may reply
off line to email above.

Teresa

Jun 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/16/97

In article <8662756...@dejanews.com>, ro...@ultimax.com wrote:

Q>>Greetings, all.I've been experimenting in the kitchen trying to recreate
Q>>that special orange-yellow onion relish New York street vendors use on
Q>>their hot dogs.
<snip>tirand
Q>>allow to carmelize (a little)The result in fact is pretty tasty,
Q>>especially on pierogies,
=---------------------------

This sounds similar to what you are looking for:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

TOBACCO ONIONS

Recipe By: Mansion on Turtle Creek - Texas Monthly

Tobacco Onions

5 cups peanut oil (or other light oil)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 large yellow or sweet onions, peeled, thinly sliced,
and separated into rings

Heat oil to 350 degrees in deep saucepan over medium heat. In medium bowl
combine and mix dry ingredients, then add onions and toss to coat. Remove
onion rings, shaking off excess flour mixture. Fry a few rings at a time
for 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Tobacco onions are easy to prepare and can also be used as a side dish or
an accompaniment to hamburgers.

tam...@primenet.com

--
email: tam...@primenet.com

Lynn Nelson

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97
to ro...@ultimax.com

ro...@ultimax.com wrote:

> Greetings, all.I've been experimenting in the kitchen trying to > recreate that special orange-yellow onion relish New York street > vendors use on their hot dogs. I'm relying on my memory from

Instead of the water, try adding a little ketchup and simmer for a bit.

Lynn
BUSY COOKS - http://busycooks.miningco.com

Pamela Davis

Jun 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/17/97

ro...@ultimax.com wrote:

>Greetings, all.I've been experimenting in the kitchen trying to recreate
>that special orange-yellow onion relish New York street vendors use on
>their hot dogs. I'

There's a recipe for it in The Frugul Gourmet Cooks American
_________
_VPD_____
____NYC__ Experience is what we call our mistakes.

Jonathan White, cheesemaker

Jun 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/18/97

Lynn Nelson wrote:

> ro...@ultimax.com wrote:
> >
> > Greetings, all.I've been experimenting in the kitchen trying to > recreate that special orange-yellow onion relish New York street > vendors use on their hot dogs. I'm relying on my memory from

Years ago I had a girlfriend who lived in an apartment in the
mid-Fifties on the west side, above a hot dog wagon nest. At about 6 AM
on a warm summery morning, waftaromas of unmistakably fermenting onions
would begin to drift up from the garage. On investigation, I discovered
that they "secret ingredient" in that famous sauce was, indeed, rotting
onions!

I for one have scrupulously avoided hot dog vendors and other street
food sellers, in the advice of my late Uncle Joe, who was the chief
health inspeector for the Bronx in the 50's. His reason was
simple-where do they wash their hands? Unless I see the food come out
of the unmistakably hot fat (like felafel) I just say no.

jona...@creamery.com

Jonathan S. White, Cheesemaker

Egg Farm Dairy
2 John Walsh Blvd.