Probably the most stupid question to ask in this group

Arne Bienert

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Hello out there,

yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

Thanks a lot,

Arne.

idlewild

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>,

t = teaspoon
T = tablespoon
c = cup
oz = ounce
fl. oz = fluid ounce
lb = pound

er, that's al i can think of off the top of my head...
keep in mind that a US cup is not the same as a Tazmanian cup is not
the same as a Sri Lankan cup... and ounces seem to vary by
country, too.

-j.

Paul Fitch Pxxx

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Arne Bienert (Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net) wrote:
: Hello out there,

: yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
: and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
: Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
: used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
: please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

There are no stupid questions.

t, ts, tsp = teaspoon
T, tb, tbs, tbsp = tablespoon
c, C = cup
ml = milliliter
ds = dash
pk, pkg = package (i.e. a "standard" sized package)

lb = pound
oz = ounce
kg = kilogram
g = gram

lg = large
sm = small
md, med = medium

That should get you started. Post for specifics.

ed
med...@nando.net

Roy V. Hughson

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

On May 02, 1996 15:45:16 in article <Probably the most stupid question to

ask in this group>, 'Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net (Arne Bienert)' wrote:

>Hello out there,
>
>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>
>Arne.

Arne,
It's not a stupid question. The stupidity is all on the part of
Americans. We are almost the last country in the world that hasn't
converted to the metric system (along with South Yeman, I believe).
In addition, almost no American kitchens have scales, so we can't weigh
anything. Everything is measured by volume.
t = tsp = teaspoon = approximately 5 ml
T = Tbsp = Tablespoon = about 15 ml
C = Cup = 1/2 pint = about 240 ml
We have to remember that there are 3 teaspoons to a Tablespoon and two
Tablespoons to a fluid ounce and 8 fluid ounces to a cup. Then, there are
2 cups to a pint and 4 cups (2 pints) to a quart, and four quarts to a
gallon.
A cup of sifted flour contains less flour than a cup of unsifted flour.
A cup of brown sugar can vary greatly depending on how tightly it is packed
into the cup.
The English have finally adopted metrication, but there are still a lot
of recipes around that use the old Imperial Measure, which sounds like the
American system but is different. An Imperial pint, for example, contains
18 fluid ounces instead of the 16 that we Americans use. The English also
used a measure called a dessert spoon which was about 10 ml--halfway
between the teaspoon and Tablespoon. (In recipes, teaspoon is usually
spelled with a lower-case "t" and Tablespoon with an upper-case "T," to
remind people of the difference between the abbreviations "t" and "T.")
At times, you will find things specified by weight, if they are usually
sold that way. A recipe may call for a half-pound of butter. This is no
problem since we don't have to weigh it--butter comes packaged in
quarter-pound sticks. "Pound," of course is abbreviated "lb" (from the
Latin, "librum").
If there are more things you don't understand, just ask. There's
nothing stupid about not understanding the conventions of a different
culture.
Roy

Mark Thorson

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>,

Arne Bienert <Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net> wrote:
>Hello out there,
>
>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

t = thalidomide
T = Thorazine (SmithKline Beecham brand, chlorpromazine)
c = cocaine

You Germans don't use as much drugs in your cooking as we do
in the U.S. In fact, I've heard that many Germans use no
drugs at all! Life must be very pleasant in Germany for this
to be possible :-)

obr...@oregoncoast.com

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

AR>Hello out there,

AR>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
AR>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
AR>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
AR>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
AR>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

AR>Thanks a lot,

AR>Arne.
Hi Arne: t is for teaspoon, T is for Tablespoon and c is for cup.

John Hobson

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net (Arne Bienert) wrote:
>Hello out there,
>
>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

T is a tablespoon = 15 ml
t is a teaspoon = 5 ml
c is a cup = 250 (actually 236 ml)

Temperatures are usually given in degrees Fahrenheit.

--
John Hobson | The Mahatma Gandhi was once asked, "Mr
Unix Support Group | Gandhi, what do you think of Western

Nicole A. Okun

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>, Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net

(Arne Bienert) writes:

> Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
> please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Arne.

Not a stupid question at all. "T" is a tablespoon (Essloeffel), "t" is a
teaspoon (Teeloeffel) and "c" or "C" is a cup (Tasse, ungefaehr 250 ml).

Tablespoon is also commonly abbreviated "tbsp", teaspoon can be "tsp", "oz"
is an ounce.

Anything else we can help with?

-- Nicole

Frank Orioles

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Arne Bienert wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
> and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
> Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
> used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,

> please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Arne.
Hello Arne,

I'll be glad to help. t=teaspoon or about 4.93 ml
T=Tablespoon or about 14.79 ml
c=cup or about 236.59 ml

Happy Cooking!

Sandy Orioles
ori...@li.net

"sorry, I don't have a quote!"

Richard Sherratt

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

med...@bnr.ca (Paul Fitch Pxxx) wrote:

>Arne Bienert (Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net) wrote:
>: Hello out there

G'day, Arne.

>: yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new

>: and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>: Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>: used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>: please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

>There are no stupid questions.

Agreed.

>t, ts, tsp = teaspoon
>T, tb, tbs, tbsp = tablespoon
>c, C = cup
>ml = milliliter
>ds = dash
>pk, pkg = package (i.e. a "standard" sized package)

I'm not having a go at you, Paul. I noticed the "" around standard.
But I wish, I really wish, that people would not assume that package
sizes are the same around the world. For example, my local supermarket
has three 'standard' sizes of rice packages. 500gm, 1kg and 25kg.
That's roughly 1lb, 2lb and 55lb. It could make a difference with some
recipes.

For most recipes, it doesn't matter if someone is using American or
metric cups, or European (15ml) or Australian (20ml) tbsp. But for
some it does.

So please, a big plea. If you are going to specify things like 1 can
of tomatoes, let us know how big the can is.

I still reckon that things should be measured in pinches, handfuls and
slurps. And cooking time says 'cook until it's done'. But I guess that
a specific measure is a useful starting point.

Regards,
Richard.

Joan Ellis

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

e...@netcom.com (Mark Thorson) wrote:

>In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>,
>Arne Bienert <Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net> wrote:
>>Hello out there,
>>

>>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
>>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

>t = thalidomide

>T = Thorazine (SmithKline Beecham brand, chlorpromazine)
>c = cocaine

>You Germans don't use as much drugs in your cooking as we do
>in the U.S. In fact, I've heard that many Germans use no
>drugs at all! Life must be very pleasant in Germany for this
>to be possible :-)

Arne:

Please ignore this person. He is obviously suffering from a senior
moment (or a brain fart, you choose),

Joan

Miche

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

In article <4me2ej$j...@oznet07.ozemail.com.au>
amb...@ozemail.com.au (Richard Sherratt) writes:

> >t, ts, tsp = teaspoon
> >T, tb, tbs, tbsp = tablespoon
> >c, C = cup
> >ml = milliliter
> >ds = dash

Nope, dessertspoon (2 teaspoons)

> >pk, pkg = package (i.e. a "standard" sized package)

------------
michelle...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz
What I post is my opinion only.
"If I had been around when Rubens was
painting, I would have been revered as a
fabulous model. Kate Moss? She would
have been the paintbrush."
- Dawn French

Miche

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

In article <Dqsrr...@ceco.ceco.com>
John Hobson <jho...@ceco.ceco.com> writes:

> T is a tablespoon = 15 ml
> t is a teaspoon = 5 ml
> c is a cup = 250 (actually 236 ml)

236 ml in America only. One metric cup is 250 ml.

Miche

hubb...@tmn.com

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

>In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>,
>Arne Bienert <Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net> wrote:
>>Hello out there,
>>
>>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was >>interested in new and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but >>I've got a little problem. Since I'm from Germany I'm not at >>all familiar with the abreviations used in this group. Could >>somebody explain to me what they all mean, please? For >>example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

Willcommen to the world of 12th century measurements still
used here in the new world. I'm attaching a conversion list
someone posted here a while ago. I can't personally vouch
for its accuracy. By the way, did you know that our
automobile speedometers are still calibrated in furlongs per
fortnight.

furlong = 1/6 statute mile
fortnight = 2 weeks

Cooking Conversions

Including Metrics!

=================================
VOLUME
=================================

From: to: multiply by
---------- ------ -----------
gallon quart 4
pint 8
cup 16
liter 3.8 (~4)

quart gallon 1/4
pint 2
cup 4
liter .95 (~1)

pint gallon 1/8
quart 1/2
cup 2
fl. oz. 16
liter .47 (~1/2)

cup quart 1/4
pint 1/2
fl. oz. 8
Tbsp 16
liter .24 (~1/4)

fluid ounce cup 1/8
(fl. oz.) Tbsp 2
tsp 6
ml or cc 30

tablespoon fl. oz. 1/2
(Tbsp or T) tsp 3
ml or cc 15

teaspoon fl. oz. 1/6
(tsp or t) Tbsp 1/3
ml or cc 5

liter gallon .26 (~1/4)
quart 1.05 (~1)
pint 2.1 (~2)
cup 4.2 (~4)
ml or cc 1000

milliliter fl. oz. 1/30
(ml or cc) Tbsp 1/15
tsp 1/5
liter 1/1000

=================================
WEIGHT
=================================

From: to: multiply by
---------- ------ -----------
pound ounce 16
kg 0.45 (~.5)
gram 450 (~500)

ounce pound 1/16
gram 28

kilogram pound 2.2
(kg) ounce ~3/5
gram 1000

gram ounce 28

=================================
Temperature
=================================

From: to: multiply by
---------- ------ -----------
Degrees F C subtract 32, then
multiply by 5/9

Degrees C F multiply by 9/5,
then add 32

(~ means approximately)

Nathan D. Justus

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

In article <4mal8d$s...@pipe11.nyc.pipeline.com>,

rhug...@nyc.pipeline.com (Roy V. Hughson) wrote:
>On May 02, 1996 15:45:16 in article <Probably the most stupid question to
>ask in this group>, 'Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net (Arne Bienert)' wrote:
>
>m but is different. An Imperial pint, for example, contains
>18 fluid ounces instead of the 16 that we Americans use. The English also

Not to be truly picky, but an imperial pint has twenty ounces not eighteen.
(I burned porridge several times before I realized this :-) )

Well, since the british ounce is about 97% of the size of our ounce, it's
probably closer to 19.2 ounces but you get the idea.

NathanR

----------------------------
(Since Sue Ford could trademark her name with a TM, I decided to register mine.
Then I realized that I was already registered with selective service. Then I
realized that "R" following a name usually designated royalty - a la Rex from
Latin - George R, Elizabeth R. Naturally I decided I would then adopt that. So
now I can just say:)
"We are NOT amused."

Joel Ehrlich

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Joan Ellis wrote about Probably the most stupid question to ask in this group
on 03 May 96 09:21:49 saying...

JE> Arne:

JE> Please ignore this person. He is obviously suffering from a senior
JE> moment (or a brain fart, you choose),

JE> Joan

Hmmm. Mark Thorsen suffering from Brain Farts...

You know, I'd never considered that possibility.

Could be.

Certainly possible.

Hmmmm.

Joel

Lea Harris

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

jo...@ix.netcom.com (Joan Ellis) wrote:

>>In article <199605021...@modem9.kamp.net>,
>>Arne Bienert <Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net> wrote:
>>>Hello out there,
>>>
>>>yesterday I subscribed to this newsgroup because I was interested in new
>>>and interesting hints and recipes. Well, but I've got a little problem.
>>>Since I'm from Germany I'm not at all familiar with the abreviations
>>>used in this group. Could somebody explain to me what they all mean,
>>>please? For example, what are "t", "T", "c", etc.?

Arne

I think that you'll find that

t = teaspoons
T= tablespoons
c = cups

Being from the Uk I tend to use lbs and oz rather than cups
so if I got this wrong please forgive me .

Lea Harris

Sallie Montuori

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

On Sun, 5 May 1996 hubb...@tmn.com wrote:

> for its accuracy. By the way, did you know that our
> automobile speedometers are still calibrated in furlongs per
> fortnight.
>
> furlong = 1/6 statute mile

^^^

Sorry; for strict accuracy, a furlong is 1/8 (one *eighth*) mile.

BTW, I *do* hope you *meant* to put a smiley with the above?

Sallie Montuori | Whose woods these are I think I know...
fox...@widomaker.com | Watch out for that tree!

Arne Bienert

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

Lea Harris <l...@lgclmdl.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I think that you'll find that
>
> t = teaspoons
> T= tablespoons
> c = cups
>
> Being from the Uk I tend to use lbs and oz rather than cups
> so if I got this wrong please forgive me .

Thanks Lea, I just hope that teaspoons, cups, etc. can be used
internationally. Otherwise I'll have to get an american cup and some
american cutlery. :-)

See you,

Arne.

Miche

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

In article <4mil28$j...@news.cais.com>
hubb...@tmn.com writes:

> Willcommen to the world of 12th century measurements still
> used here in the new world. I'm attaching a conversion list
> someone posted here a while ago. I can't personally vouch

> for its accuracy. By the way, did you know that our
> automobile speedometers are still calibrated in furlongs per
> fortnight.
>
> furlong = 1/6 statute mile

I thought it was 1/8... could be wrong!

> fortnight = 2 weeks

stone = 14 pounds

Arne Bienert

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

John Hobson <jho...@ceco.ceco.com> wrote:

> Temperatures are usually given in degrees Fahrenheit.

So I have to do a little maths before I can start cooking (converting
Fahrenheit to Celsius) - Jeez ;-)

Thanks,

Arne.
--
Got a good cookie? Mail it to me :-)

Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net
PGP-Public key available on the keyservers, ID: 0x39E1E325

Alison Williams

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

<Miche wrote>

: stone = 14 pounds

: Miche

Ah. Another thing I'd always wondered about. Know my weight (roughly) in
kilos and stones but not pounds. I could never be bothered counting all
those divisions. My premetric parents came up with conversions ranging
between 12 and 16 to the stone, so I should have just averaged, I guess.

I don't like having a weight in units that force the number to be over
one hundred.

By the way, do you know the publisher of Beard on Bread? ISBN number?
My sister works in a publishing company, she may be able to order it.
I think I should have emailed that.

love,
alison

Maggie Heeger

May 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/11/96

I just hope that teaspoons, cups, etc. can be used
> internationally. Otherwise I'll have to get an american cup and some
> american cutlery. :-)

Take care!! When Americans refer to teaspoons, tablespoons and cups,
they're very specific measuring instruments. Don't just use any old cup
or any old spoon!

According to my converison chart, 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml. 1 tablespoon
equals 15 ml. and 1 cup equals 237 ml. Hope this helps.

Maggie in the US

Kurt Foster

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

Maggie Heeger (mhe...@iquest.com) wrote:

: Take care!! When Americans refer to teaspoons, tablespoons and cups,

: they're very specific measuring instruments. Don't just use any old cup
: or any old spoon!

:
Good advice!

: According to my converison chart, 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml. 1 tablespoon

: equals 15 ml. and 1 cup equals 237 ml. Hope this helps.

:
You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup? Since "a pint's a pound", a
pound is 454 g, and 1 g water is 1 ml, one would have 1 ounce (1/16 of a
pound) is about 28.3 ml, so 1/6 ounce (1 teaspoon) would be 4.7 ml and
1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) would be 14.1 ml (approximately). Rounding these
to 5 ml and 15 ml seems reasonable, and preserves the ratio of 3 teaspoons
to 1 Tablespoon. However, the rounding error is appreciable, and 16 of
these "rounded" 15 ml Tablespoons would be 240 ml. Half of 454, however,
is 227. Calling it 240 is about a 5% error, and calling it 237 is
about a 4.4% error. Probably won't hurt the recipe, though!

OddlyEnuff

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

>> You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup? Since "a pint's a pound", a
pound is 454 g, and 1 g water is 1 ml, one would have 1 ounce (1/16 of a
pound) is about 28.3 ml, so 1/6 ounce (1 teaspoon) would be 4.7 ml and
1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) would be 14.1 ml (approximately). Rounding these

to 5 ml and 15 ml seems reasonable, and preserves the ratio of 3 teaspoons

to 1 Tablespoon. However, the rounding error is appreciable, and 16 of
these "rounded" 15 ml Tablespoons would be 240 ml. Half of 454, however,
is 227. Calling it 240 is about a 5% error, and calling it 237 is
about a 4.4% error. Probably won't hurt the recipe, though! <<

WHAT? LOL ;D

Oddly...@aol.com
aka LJ Colten-Smith

Dan Lyke

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

In article <199605092...@modem20.kamp.net>, Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net
says...
>John Hobson <jho...@ceco.ceco.com> wrote:

>> Temperatures are usually given in degrees Fahrenheit.

>So I have to do a little maths before I can start cooking (converting
>Fahrenheit to Celsius) - Jeez ;-)

Nawwww, just do like all the rest of us and get a thermometer marked in
Fahrenheit.

Dan [ugly American mode: off]

Miche

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

In article <199605092...@modem20.kamp.net>
Arne.B...@ob.kamp.net (Arne Bienert) writes:

> John Hobson <jho...@ceco.ceco.com> wrote:
>
> > Temperatures are usually given in degrees Fahrenheit.
>
> So I have to do a little maths before I can start cooking (converting
> Fahrenheit to Celsius) - Jeez ;-)

I *always* give my temperatures in both.

For the record:

150C = 300F
160C = 325F
180C = 350F
190C = 375F
200C = 400F
210C = 425F
225C = 450F
250C = 500F

Mary Elizabeth

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Kurt Foster wrote:

> Maggie Heeger (mhe...@iquest.com) wrote:
>
> : Take care!! When Americans refer to teaspoons, tablespoons and cups,
> : they're very specific measuring instruments. Don't just use any old cup
> : or any old spoon!
> :
> Good advice!
>
> : According to my converison chart, 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml. 1 tablespoon
> : equals 15 ml. and 1 cup equals 237 ml. Hope this helps.
> :
> You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup? Since "a pint's a pound", a

A pint is only a pound in the U.S., contrary to that old rhyme (although
someone did post a while back that the old Scottish pint was 16 oz. vice
the British 20).

MEB

Miche

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <4n3qnq$f...@natasha.rmii.com>
kfo...@rainbow.rmii.com (Kurt Foster) writes:

> : According to my converison chart, 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml. 1 tablespoon
> : equals 15 ml. and 1 cup equals 237 ml. Hope this helps.
> :
> You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup?

Yep, I'm sure.

> Since "a pint's a pound", a

> pound is 454 g, and 1 g water is 1 ml, one would have 1 ounce (1/16 of a
> pound) is about 28.3 ml, so 1/6 ounce (1 teaspoon) would be 4.7 ml and
> 1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) would be 14.1 ml (approximately). Rounding these
> to 5 ml and 15 ml seems reasonable, and preserves the ratio of 3 teaspoons
> to 1 Tablespoon. However, the rounding error is appreciable, and 16 of
> these "rounded" 15 ml Tablespoons would be 240 ml. Half of 454, however,
> is 227. Calling it 240 is about a 5% error, and calling it 237 is
> about a 4.4% error. Probably won't hurt the recipe, though!

"A pint's A pound" only works for certain commodities.

Also, one metric cup is a nice, round 250 ml.

bill...@ljo.dec.com

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

In article <4n68nj$k...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> dated 96/May/12-23:02:11, oddly...@aol.com was saying ...

> >> You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup? Since "a pint's a pound", a
> pound is 454 g, and 1 g water is 1 ml, one would have 1 ounce (1/16 of a
> pound) is about 28.3 ml, so 1/6 ounce (1 teaspoon) would be 4.7 ml and
> 1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) would be 14.1 ml (approximately). Rounding these
>
> to 5 ml and 15 ml seems reasonable, and preserves the ratio of 3 teaspoons
>
> to 1 Tablespoon. However, the rounding error is appreciable, and 16 of
> these "rounded" 15 ml Tablespoons would be 240 ml. Half of 454, however,
> is 227. Calling it 240 is about a 5% error, and calling it 237 is
> about a 4.4% error. Probably won't hurt the recipe, though! <<

Well, if you want to be precise about rounding 4.7 ml to 5, and calling
that a 4.4% error, first be precise about "a pint's a pount". Actually,
a pint is 1.0389 lb. since a quart is 1.06 liters and a liter of water
weighs 1000 mg.

If you use the "a pint's 1.0389 lb" rule, you find that a pint is 471 g,
an ounce is 1/16 lb. and a teaspoon is 1/6 oz, therefore a tsp. is 4.91 ml,
much closer to 5, only a 1.8% error.

Whew! Now my breads can rise again!

Meyer A. Billmers Digital Equipment Corporation
bill...@ljo.dec.com Internet Collaboration Software
(508)486-2679

Roman Zimmermann

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Kurt Foster (kfo...@rainbow.rmii.com) wrote:
: You sure that isn't 227 ml for a cup? Since "a pint's a pound", a
: pound is 454 g, and 1 g water is 1 ml, one would have 1 ounce (1/16 of a
: pound) is about 28.3 ml, so 1/6 ounce (1 teaspoon) would be 4.7 ml and
: 1/2 ounce (1 Tablespoon) would be 14.1 ml (approximately). Rounding these
: to 5 ml and 15 ml seems reasonable, and preserves the ratio of 3 teaspoons
: to 1 Tablespoon. However, the rounding error is appreciable, and 16 of
: these "rounded" 15 ml Tablespoons would be 240 ml. Half of 454, however,
: is 227. Calling it 240 is about a 5% error, and calling it 237 is
: about a 4.4% error. Probably won't hurt the recipe, though!

According to "a pint's a pound, the world around" the U.S. is on Mars.
Volume measurements made in U.S. Customary Units are much different than
measurements made in British Imperial. Weight and length units have
essentially the same value in the two systems.

1 U.S. pint : 28.875 in^3
1 Imperial pint : 34.678 in^3

Roman Zimmermann
ro...@scs.unr.edu