Mexican recipes wanted!

FranklinKL

Aug 12, 1992, 12:38:18 PM8/12/92

In Message <1992Aug10.1...@ncrcae.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM>
ka...@grok110.ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM (Karen Williams) asks:

>Does anyone else have a problem with their tortillas breaking up when
>they roll them into enchiladas, or whatever?
>
>I've tried heating them in the microwave with damp paper towels between
>them to provide moisture, but that doesn't really seem to solve the
>problem. Any suggestions?
>
>Will corn vs. flour tortillas make a difference?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Karen
>--
Yes the types of tortillas make a difference. Enchiladas are made with corn
tortillas and are usually cooked in, and served topped with, a sauce.
Substituting flour tortillas results in a burro or burrito. Burritos
are usually not cooked in a sauce. They are served in a variety of ways,
including plain, topped with either red or green chili, smothered with
a variety of chopped/shredded vegetables, or topped and smothered.
Burritos can be made "enchilada style" where they are cooked and served
like an enchilada. If you cook a burrito by frying, you have a chimichanga.
Flautas use corn tortillas and are stuffed, tightly rolled and fried.
Can be served in a variety of ways. The word comes from the Spanish for
flute. Carnitas are small pieces of cooked meat (little meats) folded in
a flour tortilla. If you fold fillings in a corn tortilla, you have a soft
taco. A hard taco should need no explanation.

In general, with Mexican cooking involving tortillas, substituting a
different kind of tortilla turns the result into something else.

As to your problem of the tortillas cracking. The corn tortillas must be
fresh. Before rolling the enchiladas, fry the tortillas gently in a
little oil. Don't fry them too much or they'll be too crispy to
roll up. You want to "toughen" them a bit. You'll get the hang of
it with some practice. After frying and before filling and rolling,
I usually rub both sides of the tortilla in a shallow pan which has the
bottom covered with enchilada (red) sauce.

An aside, If you've never tried a chimichanga, you'll find them delicious.
A hint, try making them with egg-roll wrappers, folded like an eggroll,
and then fried. Outstanding!

Good luck.
--
Ken Franklin They say there's a heaven for people who wait
AMA #553197 And some say it's better but I say it ain't