HM:JALAPENO CORNBREAD

1 view

h...@slovax.uucp

Jan 31, 1990, 3:26:29 PM1/31/90
JALAPENO CORNBREAD Servings:

3 c. cornmeal 1/2 c. oil
2 1/2 c. milk 1 c. onions, chopped
3 tsp. baking powder 4 oz. Jalapeno peppers
1 tsp. salt 17 oz. creamstyle corn
3 eggs 1 sm. can chopped pimentos
2 1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese

In a mixer, combine cornmeal, milk, baking powder, salt and eggs. Mix
well. Stir in onions, Jalapenos, pimentos, creamed corn, and cheese. Pour
batter into a greased 3 X 9 X 2 inch cake pan. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes
or until bread pulls away from sides of pan and is golden brown.

D. Jones

Feb 5, 1990, 10:24:20 AM2/5/90
in article <9...@slovax.WA.COM>, h...@slovax.UUCP says:

> JALAPENO CORNBREAD Servings:
>
> 3 c. cornmeal 1/2 c. oil
[other ingredients deleted]

> In a mixer, combine cornmeal, milk, baking powder, salt and eggs. Mix
> well. Stir in onions, Jalapenos, pimentos, creamed corn, and cheese. Pour
> batter into a greased 3 X 9 X 2 inch cake pan. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes
> or until bread pulls away from sides of pan and is golden brown.

In the ingredients you make mention of 1/2 c. of oil. Where does this go in
the method of preparation? Is it just there to give you something to do for
25 minutes, while the bread is cooking (Gee, what do I do with this oil?),
or does it go into the batter at some point during the preparation? Maybe
you are using 1/2 c. oil to "grease" the pan, but that seems like an awful
lot of oil for that size pan.

.
.
.
.

Elizabeth Lear

Feb 7, 1990, 3:31:50 PM2/7/90

jon...@drutx.ATT.COM (D. Jones) writes:
>In the ingredients you make mention of 1/2 c. of oil. Where does this go in
>the method of preparation? Is it just there to give you something to do for
>25 minutes, while the bread is cooking (Gee, what do I do with this oil?),
>or does it go into the batter at some point during the preparation? Maybe
>you are using 1/2 c. oil to "grease" the pan, but that seems like an awful
>lot of oil for that size pan.

It's for this very reason that I ignore the recipes posted by
hal@slovak: this person used to be hal@dad, and even then (as now) the
recipes posted would often omit an important ingredient or preparation
step - I especially enjoyed the chicken dish that did not mention
chicken in the recipe. Maybe it's just me being cranky, but these
repeats from the UseNet Cookbook are unsolicted and usually
uncredited; I wish at the very least they would be correct.

...eliz
One of the many fine staff members of THE WORLD - public access UNIX
SUN 4/280 (617)739-WRLD 24 hrs. 300/1200/2400bd
*Interested in musical theater? Join us! musicals...@world.std.com*

Marianne Evans

Feb 8, 1990, 1:01:46 PM2/8/90
(Elizabeth Lear) writes:

> jon...@drutx.ATT.COM (D. Jones) writes:
>>In the ingredients you make mention of 1/2 c. of oil. Where does this go in
>>the method of preparation? Is it just there to give you something to do for
>>25 minutes, while the bread is cooking (Gee, what do I do with this oil?),
>>or does it go into the batter at some point during the preparation? Maybe
>>you are using 1/2 c. oil to "grease" the pan, but that seems like an awful
>>lot of oil for that size pan.
>
>It's for this very reason that I ignore the recipes posted by
>hal@slovak: this person used to be hal@dad, and even then (as now) the
>recipes posted would often omit an important ingredient or preparation
>step - I especially enjoyed the chicken dish that did not mention
>chicken in the recipe. Maybe it's just me being cranky, but these
>repeats from the UseNet Cookbook are unsolicted and usually
>uncredited; I wish at the very least they would be correct.

I concur. I personally don't need new recipes if they don't come with
rave notices, and certainly not incomplete ones. It appears that there
are net readers who enjoy these recipes, but for those of you who haven't
yet tried to use them, you should perhaps beware that many of them appear
to be uncredited, untried, and have ingredients or instruction missing.

-marianne