rice and milk

Christie

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We
often eat our left over cooked rice in this way but I have never
come across anyone else who eats it in this way..anyone know
where it comes from?

Christie- President Mad Hatters Inc
"If you knew Time as well as I do," said the Hatter,
"you wouldn’t talk about wasting IT. It’s HIM."

Lin Nah

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 19:58:41 +1000, "Christie"
<midnight@_nospam_comcen.com.au> wrote:

>Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
>with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We

sounds like rice pudding except done with cooked rice?

I also like rice cooked with coconut milk. Nice with certain curries

Lin

May's Pearls of Wisdom

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
I use to eat it when I was a little kid in NYC but haven't had it
for years. My mom would sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it. Now that I
think of it, it was a comfort food.

May

Christie wrote:

> Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
> with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We

ann_onymous

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Wow, I didn't think anyone else did this. This is one of my comfort foods.
You might want to try warming up the milk first in the microwave, adding
some salt to the rice and milk mixture and even some sliced bananas.
Absolutely yummy. I also like eating (on the side) some kind of sweet
sausage.

Christie <midnight@_nospam_comcen.com.au> wrote in article
<3619f...@nexus.comcen.com.au>...
: Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,

:
:
:

Nexis Robinson

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
I did...when I was a child...my mom used to make it with cinnamon and sugar
and the raisins we're in the rice. It was yummy!

kimberly

A Boles

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Isn't this the same as rice pudding? Except the rice wouldn't be the type
used normally?

May's Pearls of Wisdom wrote in message
<361A6422...@kandinsky.hf.intel.com>...

>I use to eat it when I was a little kid in NYC but haven't had it
>for years. My mom would sprinkle cinnamon sugar on it. Now that I
>think of it, it was a comfort food.
>
>May

May's Pearls of Wisdom

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
No it's more like using the rice as a cereal with milk and sugar/cinnamon on
it.

May

J&F Higham

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Yep. Very common practice. I suspect it originates from the good old
fashioned Rice Pudding which is probably British in origin.

1 oz rice, 9 tablespoons water, pinch salt, 1 and a half gills of milk (whic
roughly =3 oz or 3 tablespoons), 2 level tablespoons sugar, 1 egg, 3 drops
vanilla essence (the real stuff, not the artificial muck), 1 teaspoon
butter, nutmeg.

Rinse rice thoroughly in cold running water. Put rice in boiling water,
cook gently till all water is absorbed. Remove from heat, add sugar, milk
and vanilla. Pour into a pie dish. Grate nutmeg on top. place small dots
of the butter on top. Stand pie dish in in a baking dish of cold water.
Bake in moderate oven about half an hour. All measurements are Imperial.

--
Fran Higham

Stephen Brereton

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

J&F Higham wrote in message <90769080...@genie.canberra.net.au>...

>Yep. Very common practice. I suspect it originates from the good old
>fashioned Rice Pudding which is probably British in origin.
<snip>

Many years ago my Welsh aunt used to make me rice pudding. She would cook it
on the stove instead of baking it in the usual way. She said it was an old
Welsh method of making rice pudding

It was approx 4 oz(UK) pudding rice (must be a short grained sticky type
rice, Arborio would do but pudding rice is better), about a pint of full fat
milk (UK), some raisins and currants, and a pinch of cinnamon. None of the
amounts are critical. The rice would be cooked in the milk for about 20 - 25
minutes, then the rest of the ingredients were added for another 5 - 10
minutes. Then it was ready.

The end result was a delicious and creamy moist pudding with sufficient
thick liquid left so that it was still just a bit runny. The final touch was
a big dollop of strawberry or blackcurrant jam placed on top of each pudding
which sank into the rice and only a small hint of what was there was
visible. It was always a huge hit.

Steve

Christie

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
It was so cool to see all the responses..and no it isn't rice
pudding. We usually have this after we have cooked some plain
rice to have with a meal and find we have some left over. The
left over rice is then put into a bowl, you pour milk over it
like you would with cereal, sprinkle some sugar on it and then
sometimes a dollop of cream, and eat it. You dont cook it any
further or anything like that..

J&F Higham

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Christie

I know it isn't rice pud, but you asked where it came from. As I said
before, my guess would be British cooking; cheap, filling, warming, comfort
food. Shocking at its worst, wonderful at its best!

--
Fran Higham

C.L. Gifford

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Christie wrote:

> Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
> with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We
> often eat our left over cooked rice in this way but I have never
> come across anyone else who eats it in this way..anyone know
> where it comes from?
>
> Christie- President Mad Hatters Inc
> "If you knew Time as well as I do," said the Hatter,
> "you wouldn’t talk about wasting IT. It’s HIM."

I used to eat this as a child. Except I had it with warm milk,
sugar and a pat of butter. It was a regular breakfast item - the
entire breadfast.

Liam

Charlie Liam Gifford 32:44:58N
<>< 117:06:33W
USS PORTERFIELD DD682 (Under Construction)
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/8893

A.Ferszt

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Christie wrote:

> Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
> with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We
> often eat our left over cooked rice in this way but I have never
> come across anyone else who eats it in this way..anyone know
> where it comes from?
>
> Christie- President Mad Hatters Inc

Absolutely! I also like it served with warm milk, sugar and a bit of
butter. I don't use cream, mostly 'cause I rarely have it in the house.
It's always been in our family, but I don't know the origins.

ERay

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Add a whiff of cinnamon....

Ayne St. Martin

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, J&F Higham wrote:

> Christie
>
> I know it isn't rice pud, but you asked where it came from. As I said
> before, my guess would be British cooking; cheap, filling, warming, comfort
> food. Shocking at its worst, wonderful at its best!

We ate this all the time as kids (I didn't have actual boxed cereal until
I was 12). My mom came here from Japan in her 20's, so although the
British may eat this, I would suspect the origins are from somewhere where
rice is cooked every night for dinner & the leftovers are used
up the next day in fried rice, rice balls and like this.

Ayne
oc...@nsccux.sccd.ctc.edu

G. M. Eckl

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
And raisins

Althea

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
Nah, I prefer to cook the rice some more and turn it into pseudo-rice
pudding. Too textured with just milk. My stepdad used to eat it that
way, though. He also ate cornbread with milk and sugar, and popcorn
with milk and sugar. Talk about taking the term "cereals" literally!

When I have leftover plain rice, I usually melt in a little real butter
and put a tiny bit of Marmite in it. Nice flavor. And lots of B
vitamins.

rhorn

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
In article <362218...@naxs.com>, alt...@naxs.com says...

>Nah, I prefer to cook the rice some more and turn it into pseudo-rice
>pudding. Too textured with just milk. My stepdad used to eat it that
>way, though. He also ate cornbread with milk and sugar, and popcorn
>with milk and sugar. Talk about taking the term "cereals" literally!

I think this is a mid-western thang.
My mother, from Oklahoma, would crumble day old cornbread into a glass of
buttermilk. YUCK. Only thing buttermilk is good for is cooking

On the other hand I enjoy hot cooked rice w/butter, cream and a bit of sugar.
Do the same w/grits.
*******************************
'76 Purple 86" FL Shovel stroker
'97 Purple 80" FLHTCU I (GeezerGlide)
'98 Black Dodge Dakota V8 manual Club Cab, K&N air filter
Horn, Rupert P.
See pictures at: http://home.inreach.com/rhorn01/

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and
furthermore, always carry a small snake." ...W.C. Fields

S.Dunlap

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98

rhorn wrote in message ...

>In article <362218...@naxs.com>, alt...@naxs.com says...

>>with milk and sugar. Talk about taking the term "cereals" literally!

>I think this is a mid-western thang.
>My mother, from Oklahoma, would crumble day old cornbread into a glass of
>buttermilk. YUCK. Only thing buttermilk is good for is cooking

Cornbread crumbled into buttermilk is known as "Crumblin'" in Texas. I think
this is a southern thing more than a midwestern thing. I have friends for
Georgia who also use up their day old cornbread this way.

Kat Tanaka

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98

I wasn't going to comment on this, but Ack. Gack. Pflegh.

(convulsing at the thought of Japanese rice and milk)

P'raps your mom is very unusual, if you got the recipe from her.

She would be the only Japanese person older than 20 or 30 that
I've ever heard of even thinking about mixing milk and rice in
that manner. I'll put rice into a creamed soup (cream of mushroom
and rice, for example). But with sugar?

I'm firmly in the "rice as a savory" camp, and the closest I'll
get to rice pudding is horchata, or tapioca pudding.

I'll let Steve (in Osaka) tell us if the shinjinrui (the young
and wacky) have decided that it's the next logical step to
cheese on your mochi (again, IMHO, blech)...

What a wonderful diverse world...(My mother puts fish flakes
in her oatmeal, just like she would in o-kayu (rice porridge)).

Kat Tanaka

Barry

Oct 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/13/98
>Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
>with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We

Warm rice brown sugar, sprinkle of cinnamon and just enough milk to wet it.

barry

Alex

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98
My German relatives do this. It is part of their main meal and done on
special occasions as it is quite fattening.

Christie wrote in message <3619f...@nexus.comcen.com.au>...

>Does anyone else out there eat warm rice, covered in cold milk,
>with a sprinkling of sugar and sometimes a dollop of cream? We

>often eat our left over cooked rice in this way but I have never

>come across anyone else who eats it in this way..anyone know
>where it comes from?
>

>Christie- President Mad Hatters Inc

Ayne St. Martin

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Kat Tanaka wrote:

> > We ate this all the time as kids (I didn't have actual boxed cereal until
> > I was 12). My mom came here from Japan in her 20's, so although the
> > British may eat this, I would suspect the origins are from somewhere where
> > rice is cooked every night for dinner & the leftovers are used
> > up the next day in fried rice, rice balls and like this.
> >
> > Ayne
> > oc...@nsccux.sccd.ctc.edu
>
> I wasn't going to comment on this, but Ack. Gack. Pflegh.
>
> (convulsing at the thought of Japanese rice and milk)
>
> P'raps your mom is very unusual, if you got the recipe from her.
>
> She would be the only Japanese person older than 20 or 30 that
> I've ever heard of even thinking about mixing milk and rice in
> that manner. I'll put rice into a creamed soup (cream of mushroom
> and rice, for example). But with sugar?
>

> Kat Tanaka

Sorry, but you generalize too much. My Mom is 73. My grandmother is 96,
and she eats it too. Maybe it isn't
common in your famliy, but my numerous
relatives tend to enjoy lots of sweet thing like this. (My mom's
the only one in the US - the rest remain in Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka & Tokyo.)
What they don't like at all is dairy products, especially cheese.

Ayne
oc...@nsccux.sccd.ctc.edu

Kat Tanaka

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98

"Ayne St. Martin" wrote:

> Sorry, but you generalize too much. My Mom is 73. My grandmother is 96,
> and she eats it too. Maybe it isn't
> common in your famliy, but my numerous
> relatives tend to enjoy lots of sweet thing like this. (My mom's
> the only one in the US - the rest remain in Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka & Tokyo.)
> What they don't like at all is dairy products, especially cheese.

You're right, I did generalize. A LOT.

But I'm a little confused by your comment about "sweet things".

My family loves pastries, etc. but NOT MIXED WITH RICE.

Now, there are lots of Japanese sweet rice recipes, but those are
not with milk.

Wagashi is an example of mochi-gome and sweetening, and o-hagi
does have plain rice with mochi-gome, but "milk + gohan" isn't all
that common, IMHO.

And the presence in your family of this dish only indicates that it's
common in your family. I wasn't trying to insult your family, more
marvelling at the diversity that's out there.

My sample was taken from Japanese families in my acquaintance, not
only my own, and at least in the U.S., the "dis-preference" (coined
word) of Japanese for milk mixed with rice is documented. See stories
in WWII internment camps.

What can I say, though, palates differ widely, and what's done to
Western cuisines in Japan evokes horror in others...Corn on Pizza,
for ex. Fusion cooking can be fun. Mentai-spaghetti. Thai BBQ
pizza.

Sorry if I caused distress. Wasn't my intention.

Kat Tanaka
--
spam filtered. To send e-mail replace "(dash)" with "-"

bts...@poboxes.com

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98

Hi Ayne,
I missed the original post from you. From the edited pieces here
it sounds like leftover rice used as cereal with milk and sugar
for breakfast. That was a staple when I was a child. I still
like it but seldom have the leftover rice as now I cook only
just enough. If more to it than that, and I suspect there is,
would you repost it or email it to me?

Respectfully... The Paperboy

Ayne St. Martin

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
to bts...@poboxes.com

It was just that - leftover rice instead of cereal. We never ate regular
boxed cereal as kids! I haven't eaten it that way for a while, but I
usually make extra rice anyway because fried rice is a quick and easy
dinner to whip up when I get home from work. I don't have a real recipe -
just throw in whatever is in the fridge.

Does anyone have any great recipes that use leftover rice?

Ayne
oc...@nsccux.sccd.ctc.edu

Ayne St. Martin

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Kat Tanaka wrote:

> But I'm a little confused by your comment about "sweet things".
>
> My family loves pastries, etc. but NOT MIXED WITH RICE.
>
> Now, there are lots of Japanese sweet rice recipes, but those are
> not with milk.
>

> Kat Tanaka
> --

I guess there's two different components here - sweet stuff and dairy. It
seems like most Japanese enjoy their sweets, but many older
folks don't care for dairy. You're right, there are not many (if any)
traditional recipes that include milk. The breakfast thing is more of a
"I've got five hungry kids and they need to eat something before school"
kind of thing rather than any real recipe.

Here's a sweet rice recipe (not Japanese - I'm not sure what the
origin is). It's really good with curry or other spicy dishes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rice with Coconut

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : Rice

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion -- chopped
1 clove garlic -- minced
1 red bell pepper -- chopped
2 cups white rice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 14 ounce can reduced fat coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons coconut shreds -- fresh or dried

In a 3- to 4-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir oil and onion often
until onion is
limp, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and bell pepper: stir until pepper is
limp, about 2 1/2
minutes.

Add rice to pan and stir until grains begin to turn opaque, about 2
minutes.
Add tumeric and sir about 30 seconds. Add coconut milk and broth. Bring to
a boil,
cover and simmer on low heat unitl rice is tender to bite, 20 to 25
minutes.
Spoon into dish and sprinkle with coconut. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ayne
oc...@nsccux.sccd.ctc.edu

Carmen Bartels

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Alex <Mira...@msn.com> wrote:
> My German relatives do this. It is part of their main meal and done on
> special occasions as it is quite fattening.

Won't call it fattening (at least not more than many meat dishes here)
but Milchreis (directly translated to milk rice) is a very common dish
here. You can either eat it as main dish or as a dessert (the dessert
one really is fatty as one uses crema for it, look for Reis
Trautmannsdorf).
As I main dish I take a 200 ml (0.8 C) cup with sticky rice and put it into
1 l (1 quart) milk and then cook that slowly for about 30-50 mins. Then I
add another 250-500 ml (1-2 C) milk as the mix will be too stiff ;-)
and sugar to taste and heat it another 5 mins.
I serve the hot rice pudding with cold plum compott or fresh plums if
available. Sour cherries, blueberries or apricot may work too (these 4
fruits are my favourites with milky food).

Yummy summer treat or nice dessert (and no, I never made the abover
mentioned dessert as it is too fatty and too complicate for my liking)

Carmen

--
Carmen Bartels elfgar@NightFall, elfgar@Xyllomer
ca...@squirrel.han.de caba@irc

ba...@altoetting-online.de

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
In article <F18so...@squirrel.han.de> Carmen Bartels
<ca...@squirrel.han.de> writes:
> Alex <Mira...@msn.com> wrote:
> > My German relatives do this. It is part of their main meal and done
on
> > special occasions as it is quite fattening.
> >

> Won't call it fattening (at least not more than many meat dishes here)
> but Milchreis (directly translated to milk rice) is a very common dish
> here.
<snip>

I make it with just the rice and 1.5% milk -- and it isn't "fattening" at
all! We have it with applesauce... it's a yummy main dish ("Mehlspeise")
for my (Bavarian) husband, and a even yummier dessert for calorie
conscious (sometimes) me.
:-)

Does anyone know if this special type of rice which is used in milk rice
here in Germany is available in other parts of the world? What's it
called?
--
@}-->---
Barb

Kaari Jae

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Barb,
eating rice cooked with milk used to be rather common over here. Now
days it's mostly done for Christmas as a dessert. And the rice used for
it is simply called "porridge rice". it's a bit rounder than ordinary
rice and takes also a lot longer to boil. If you want some recipes rice
"porridge" (that's what rice and milk is called over here, I think
Mehlspeise means the same thing) let me know.
Hope this helps
Kaari

Please remove the 8899 from my name before you reply. Thank you :)

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if, in your dream you went to heaven and there
plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,
when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah, what then?
(Coleridge)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Carmen Bartels

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Kaari Jae <8899...@hem1.passagen.se> wrote:
> Barb,
> eating rice cooked with milk used to be rather common over here. Now
> days it's mostly done for Christmas as a dessert. And the rice used for
> it is simply called "porridge rice". it's a bit rounder than ordinary
> rice and takes also a lot longer to boil. If you want some recipes rice
> "porridge" (that's what rice and milk is called over here, I think
> Mehlspeise means the same thing) let me know.
>
> ba...@altoetting-online.de wrote:
>>
>> I make it with just the rice and 1.5% milk -- and it isn't "fattening" at
>> all! We have it with applesauce... it's a yummy main dish ("Mehlspeise")
>> for my (Bavarian) husband, and a even yummier dessert for calorie
>> conscious (sometimes) me.
>> :-)

Sorry,
Mehlspeise means a dish made from flour (Mehl=flour), think, Barb meant
Hauptspeise (Haupt=main). Both Mehlspeisen and Milchreis are normally
sweet main dishes or dessert, though ;-)
And the rice normally used for it is called either Milchreis or Rundkornreis
(round kernel rice) here. I think that it is more starchy than the
normal one but I also boiled standard Langkornreis (long kernel rice)
the same way and got a decent dish.

Carmen,
who wonders how Basmati rice will stay up to 3/4-1 hour cooking with
lots of milk

ALZELT

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

In article <F1EMv...@squirrel.han.de>, Carmen Bartels <ca...@squirrel.han.de>
writes:

>Carmen,
>who wonders how Basmati rice will stay up to 3/4-1 hour cooking with
>lots of milk

well, just in case you need some paste to hang the wallpaper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

alan

Harry A. Demidavicius

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
No, Alan, Polenta is far superior for this purpose.
[SNORK!!]

Harry Demidavicius