That Kids' menu items thread

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 28, 2004, 3:00:58 PM2/28/04
I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and
snacks out. My money's on Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us
some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways. I'll save your
place until you get back.
mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Julia Altshuler

Feb 28, 2004, 5:37:39 PM2/28/04
This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.

What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to
want to bring them back that won't be too hard on the bottom line:

SERVE THEM FASTER!

Yes, that's it. By the time the parents of small children get them into
the restaurant and seated, the little ones are hungry. Getting the
timing right for young stomachs is a nightmare. Get them seated before
they're hungry, and you're looking at wasted table time as the children
dawdle and play and don't eat because nothing looks appetizing. Get
them seated when they're already hungry, and the most agreeable of
children is starting to get fussy. Parents want as much as the
restaurant staff to get them in there, fed and out, or if there is going
to be extra time in the restaurant, let it be after the kids are full.
(This information brought to you by the mother of twins-- not me.)

That said, the restaurant management has a decision to make based on
what everyone has said here. If they offer smaller portions at a
reduced price to everyone, they run the risk that their adult customers
will jump at the chance to buy only enough food for one meal instead of
the usual three thus making the average check total go way down. If
they have no children's menu, they might lose business by discouraging
parents of children. It is all about deciding what sort of clientele
you wish to attract.

--Lia

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 28, 2004, 5:56:20 PM2/28/04
In article <TK80c.2156$PR3.32209@attbi_s03>, Julia Altshuler
<jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:

> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.

No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other
thread, please. Unless you've got food and libations to share, and a
comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch the antics.

S.Dunlap

Feb 28, 2004, 5:58:35 PM2/28/04
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote in message news:<barbschaller-2A7D...@news.individual.net>...

> I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and
> snacks out. My money's on Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us
> some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways. I'll save your
> place until you get back.
> mumblemumblewherethehellisDamselwhenshe'sneededmumblemumble

he he...I'm withdrawing from the thread.....too much typing has the
wrist in a cast aching. Back to one handed typing with the leg in the
cast and the wrist propped up. Pass the pain killers - liquid variety
are fine!

Sandi

sf

Feb 28, 2004, 9:45:55 PM2/28/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:37:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
<jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:

> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
>

> What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging parents to
> want to bring them back that won't be too hard on the bottom line:
>

> SERVE THEM FASTER!

AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants
that give kids some crayons and a paper placemat to draw on
have the right idea.

> Yes, that's it. By the time the parents of small children get them into
> the restaurant and seated, the little ones are hungry.

That reminds me of when my kids were little and we said we
were going to a restaurant rather than McDonald's etc...
their first question was always: "Is it going to be fast
food or slow food?"

BOB

Feb 28, 2004, 11:17:03 PM2/28/04

I got the ABT's and some BBQ'ed ribs.

BOB
and the thread you mentioned "ignored"

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 29, 2004, 12:19:13 AM2/29/04
In article <Xns949DB761519DE...@216.168.3.44>, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
(snip)

> >> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
> >
> > No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other
> > thread, please. Unless you've got food and libations to share, and a
> > comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch the antics.
>
> <huge eyeroll> Oh just stuff it. Preferably with some of that fab jam of
> yours ;)
>
> Michael <- participating in the fight

Well, I NEVAH!! Harummppphhh!!! :-p

Miche

Feb 29, 2004, 2:13:34 AM2/29/04
In article <barbschaller-4D1A...@news.individual.net>,

Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote:

> In article <TK80c.2156$PR3.32209@attbi_s03>, Julia Altshuler
> <jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
>
> No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other
> thread, please. Unless you've got food and libations to share, and a
> comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch the antics.

Miche arrives with a lawn chair, a bowl of popcorn and a pitcher of mint
juleps.

Hi guys, got a space for me?

Miche

--
If you want to end war and stuff you got to sing loud.
-- Arlo Guthrie, "Alice's Restaurant"

Frogleg

Feb 29, 2004, 8:17:20 AM2/29/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:00:58 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote:

>I do believe it's time to get the lawn chairs and the libations and
>snacks out. My money's on Kimberly. Yoo-hoo, notbob -- go fetch us
>some buffalo wings and maybe some Midnight Milky Ways. I'll save your
>place until you get back.

But, but...you *know* that anything involving kids' food of any
description brings out the 'expert' in all of us, even the childless
(we've all *been* children, and *know* children). I rather like the
long threads with lots of opinions and viewpoints. No, not Caesar
Salad or Fettuccini Alfredo, but at least it's lively. And you have
no opinion at all?!!

Julia Altshuler

Feb 29, 2004, 9:19:21 AM2/29/04
Dog3 wrote:

>>AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants
>>that give kids some crayons and a paper placemat to draw on
>>have the right idea.
>

> Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for
> the wee ones ;)

Don't laugh. Parents would LOVE this idea. Look at all the instances
where the draw is one thing, but the profit is in the food. People go
for the movie, but the theater makes its profit on the popcorn. People
go for the bookstore, but the profit is in the coffee and cake. I can
imagine parents saying they're going for lunch but really looking
forward to a place where they can deposit their kids for a while. Come
to think of it, diners without children with them would love the idea too.

--Lia

Nancy Young

Feb 29, 2004, 9:55:01 AM2/29/04

Barefoot Contessa is on, she is giving some kind of kiddie party, guess
what she made for dinner?

What else? Breaded and fried chicken strips.

Struck me as amusing. nancy

Nancy Young

Feb 29, 2004, 10:14:45 AM2/29/04
Dog3 wrote:

> Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> deliciously posted in
> I'm watching it. Methinks if more parental units did this type of thing
> with their kids; The issue of dining out would not be an issue. Naturally
> everything she is serving up is healthy <snort>
>
> Michael <- watching all that sugar being pumped into those little bodies

I was going into sugar shock just watching the show! (laugh)
Think they had enough candy?

nancy

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 29, 2004, 10:19:12 AM2/29/04
In article <micheinnz-5A004...@news.itconsult.net>, Miche
<mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> In article <barbschaller-4D1A...@news.individual.net>,
> Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <TK80c.2156$PR3.32209@attbi_s03>, Julia Altshuler
> > <jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
> >
> > No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other
> > thread, please. Unless you've got food and libations to share, and a
> > comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch the antics.
>
> Miche arrives with a lawn chair, a bowl of popcorn and a pitcher of mint
> juleps.
>
> Hi guys, got a space for me?
>
> Miche

Absotively!! <sqwooshing over to make room and wanting to be near the
libation>. Anything special on the popcorn?

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 29, 2004, 10:24:16 AM2/29/04
In article <c1rp3o$1kd9p7$1...@ID-216773.news.uni-berlin.de>, " BOB"
<some...@south.net> wrote:

Come sit here, dear---and bring those ribs. What's an ABT? <Gives
Miche an elbow away so BOB can sit by ME!> Got any beer? Sam Adams
Cherry Wheat preferred, Hon.

BOB

Feb 29, 2004, 11:03:17 AM2/29/04

ABT's? You might *not* like the name...Atomic Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno peppers,
de-seeded, stuffed (usually with cream cheese and sausage) wrapped in bacon and
grilled (yes, over a wood charcoal fire). They are fantastic! and
unfortunately, with today's jalapenos, not very hot.

Might bring the neighbor's home brewed beer if it's available. Miche can stay
close by...plenty off refreshmens for all.

BOB
wondering how/why *this* thread drifted away from the intended topic so soon

Melba's Jammin'

Feb 29, 2004, 11:20:51 AM2/29/04
In article <c1t2fs$1e3hjj$1...@ID-216773.news.uni-berlin.de>, " BOB"
<some...@south.net> wrote:

> >> I got the ABT's and some BBQ'ed ribs.
> >>
> >> BOB
> >> and the thread you mentioned "ignored"
> >
> > Come sit here, dear---and bring those ribs. What's an ABT?

> ABT's? You might *not* like the name...Atomic Buffalo Turds.

> Jalapeno peppers, de-seeded, stuffed (usually with cream cheese and
> sausage) wrapped in bacon and grilled (yes, over a wood charcoal
> fire). They are fantastic! and unfortunately, with today's
> jalapenos, not very hot.
>
> Might bring the neighbor's home brewed beer if it's available. Miche
> can stay close by...plenty off refreshmens for all.

> BOB
> wondering how/why *this* thread drifted away from the intended topic so
> soon

Julia done it.
Atomic Buffalo Turds? Oy. Too bad they sound so darned good.

Puester

Feb 29, 2004, 4:29:26 PM2/29/04
Dog3 wrote:

> sf <nob...@pipeline.com> deliciously posted in

> > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:37:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> > <jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging
> >> parents to want to bring them back that won't be too hard on the
> >> bottom line:
> >> SERVE THEM FASTER!
> > AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants
> > that give kids some crayons and a paper placemat to draw on
> > have the right idea.
>
> Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for
> the wee ones ;)
>
> Michael
>
> --

When you look at the number of children killed or
harmed by babysitters, that's not such a bad idea.
It would allow parents to dine out in relative peace
as well as the other patrons of the restaurant.
(A soundproof room, one would hope.)

gloria p

kalanamak

Feb 29, 2004, 2:08:53 PM2/29/04
Puester wrote:

> When you look at the number of children killed or
> harmed by babysitters, that's not such a bad idea.

Do you have statistics on that? I though parents/step parents were the
most deadly, with strangers at the bottom of the list.
If you are right, what is to keep the daycare person at the restaurant
from throttling Wee Harolde?
blacksalt

sf

Feb 29, 2004, 5:49:47 PM2/29/04
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 14:07:52 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> sf <nob...@pipeline.com> deliciously posted in
>

> > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:37:39 GMT, Julia Altshuler
> > <jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
> >>
> >> What restaurants can do to cater to children thus encouraging
> >> parents to want to bring them back that won't be too hard on the
> >> bottom line:
> >>
> >> SERVE THEM FASTER!
> >>
> > AND give them something to do while waiting. Restaurants
> > that give kids some crayons and a paper placemat to draw on
> > have the right idea.
>

> Oh dear God. Next the restaurant will have to provide a Day Care room for
> the wee ones ;)

Hmmm. Not a bad idea, but I'm afraid that will "impact" the
bottom line.

Seriously, though - the types of restaurants where kids can
be taken without remorse are the inexpensive, noisy chains
like Chevy's and Applebee's, ethnic reataurants - especially
chinese or mexican and your local mom & pop diner will
probably be kid friendly too.

S.Dunlap

Mar 1, 2004, 7:45:39 AM3/1/04
Melba's Jammin' <barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote in message news:<barbschaller-6DF4...@news.individual.net>...

Nah...Raspberry Lambic or Kriek - from Belgium....like drinking fizzy
fruti juice till you go to stand up!. LOL.

Sandi

Julia Altshuler

Mar 1, 2004, 9:27:59 AM3/1/04
S.Dunlap wrote:

> Nah...Raspberry Lambic or Kriek - from Belgium....like drinking fizzy
> fruti juice till you go to stand up!. LOL.

I LOVE that stuff. I'd drink it every night if I could afford it. I'd
buy it by the case if that would bring down the price. There's also
Okanagan brand apple and pear cider available in Western Canada. I've
been known to bring back 6 packs in my carry-on luggage. (There's also
a cherry and other flavors, but only the apple and pear taste like the
real fruit.)

--Lia

MareCat

Mar 1, 2004, 5:13:35 PM3/1/04

Lindemans Peche or Framboise. Mmmmmmm...my all-time favorite beer.
Problem is, it tastes so good, I can't stop drinking it...

Laura

Mar 1, 2004, 9:18:14 PM3/1/04
Oh and I had completely ignored that thread....got a good laugh reading
parts of it though..thanks for pointing it out.

tonight's din din for kids - the both are just getting over a tummy bug
(lucky mommy me..maybe I should send them out to eat to sit next to some of
the folks on the thread?)

oatmeal - made from scratch on top of the stove, with just a touch of brown
sugar to please there taste buds and make it appealing enough to eat.

I, mommy, had some leftover homemade Thai curry (with chicken), most of the
chicken was gone but lots of mummy sauce and rice and potatos.

The dad is having left over burgers from last nights cookout.

Oh and i ate a papaya. didn't share it with anyone. :-))

--
Laura

GAYLAN FOR PRESIDENT!

Miche

Mar 3, 2004, 4:05:56 AM3/3/04
In article <barbschaller-6DF4...@news.individual.net>,

Huh. That's the last time I bring YOU a pitcher of mint juleps!

Miche

Mar 3, 2004, 4:06:58 AM3/3/04
In article <barbschaller-4B0F...@news.individual.net>,

Just butter and salt. But it's New Zealand butter!

S.Dunlap

Mar 3, 2004, 12:11:47 PM3/3/04
Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<micheinnz-5BBA6...@news.itconsult.net>...

> > Absotively!! <sqwooshing over to make room and wanting to be near the
> > libation>. Anything special on the popcorn?
>
> Just butter and salt. But it's New Zealand butter!
>
> Miche

That's what I use here in Honduras - unsalted butter from New Zealand.
All the American imported stuff is the soft whipped Parkay margarine -
YUCK!

Sandi

Miche

Mar 4, 2004, 4:07:11 AM3/4/04
In article <744c5abc.04030...@posting.google.com>,
west...@yahoo.com (S.Dunlap) wrote:

> Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>

> > > Absotively!! <sqwooshing over to make room and wanting to be near the
> > > libation>. Anything special on the popcorn?
> >
> > Just butter and salt. But it's New Zealand butter!

> That's what I use here in Honduras - unsalted butter from New Zealand.

> All the American imported stuff is the soft whipped Parkay margarine -
> YUCK!

Unsalted butter is just the business.

S.Dunlap

Mar 4, 2004, 6:06:32 PM3/4/04
Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<micheinnz-554F0...@news.itconsult.net>...

> In article <744c5abc.04030...@posting.google.com>,
> west...@yahoo.com (S.Dunlap) wrote:
>
> > Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> > > Just butter and salt. But it's New Zealand butter!
>
> > That's what I use here in Honduras - unsalted butter from New Zealand.
> > All the American imported stuff is the soft whipped Parkay margarine -
> > YUCK!
>
> Unsalted butter is just the business.

Huh?

Sandi

Miche

Mar 5, 2004, 7:34:59 PM3/5/04

> Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message

> > Unsalted butter is just the business.
> >
> Huh?

Heh, sorry 'bout that. I mean it's very very good.

S.Dunlap

Mar 6, 2004, 8:17:28 AM3/6/04
Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<micheinnz-23366...@news.itconsult.net>...

> In article <744c5abc.04030...@posting.google.com>,
> west...@yahoo.com (S.Dunlap) wrote:
>
> > Miche <mich...@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
>
> > > Unsalted butter is just the business.
> > >
> > Huh?
>
> Heh, sorry 'bout that. I mean it's very very good.
>
> Miche

Ok....LOL....I kind of thought that's what it might mean.

Sandi

blake murphy

Mar 6, 2004, 5:54:44 PM3/6/04
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:56:20 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<barbsc...@earthlink.com> wrote:

>In article <TK80c.2156$PR3.32209@attbi_s03>, Julia Altshuler

><jalts...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> This is as good a place for me to jump in as any.
>

>No it's not. This is about watching a fight. Go back to the other
>thread, please. Unless you've got food and libations to share, and a
>comfortable chair or maybe a blanket from which to watch the antics.

but what are the kids going to eat?

your pal,
spanky

blake murphy