Arkansas cornbread

George Shirley

Nov 20, 2006, 12:29:01 PM11/20/06
My Mom made this stuff eons ago and now I make it. It's what we make our
cornbread stuffing out of each Thanksgiving and the descendants like
that so well we make it again at Christmas and Easter. Used to be in all
the old Betty Crocker cookbooks, don't know about new ones.

Arkansas Cornbread

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt (I'm on a salt free diet and leave it out, doesn't
affect the cornbread)
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs well beaten.

Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
ingredients.

Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

When I was a kid and Dad was on strike we ate this with milk over it and
often with beans and sausage over it. My wife likes it plain with
molasses and sometimes with jelly. No wheat in it and it makes really
good dressing.

George

Omelet

Nov 20, 2006, 2:00:54 PM11/20/06
In article <BBl8h.2885$m9....@bignews2.bellsouth.net>,
George Shirley <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

I have a cast iron corn stick "pan". I'll bet this would work well with
it!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

George Shirley

Nov 20, 2006, 2:35:58 PM11/20/06

I have one too, and it does work well with the recipe. Personally I like
corn sticks but for some reason my Yanqui wife doesn't. Even after 46
years married to a Southroner she still doesn't like them. I make them
for me and then eat them up over a few days. <VBG>

George

sistersu

Nov 20, 2006, 10:12:19 PM11/20/06
Is there no flour in Arkansas cornbread?

Wayne Boatwright

Nov 20, 2006, 9:19:56 PM11/20/06
Oh pshaw, on Mon 20 Nov 2006 08:12:19p, sistersu meant to say...

> Is there no flour in Arkansas cornbread?

No, nor in most good Southern style cornbread.

--
Wayne Boatwright

People will occasionally stumble over the truth,
but most of the time they will pick themselves up
and carry on.

isw

Nov 21, 2006, 2:54:19 AM11/21/06
In article <n8u8h.1554$ql2...@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"sistersu" <sist...@peoplepc.com> wrote:

> Is there no flour in Arkansas cornbread?

No. Nor any sugar. Use bacon grease for the oil, if you have it. Put the
grease in the cast-iron skillet, and put that in the oven until it's
almost smoking. Pull it out, give the batter its final stir, pour it in
the pan, and pop the pan back in the oven.

Now I'm hungry.

Isaac

George Shirley

Nov 21, 2006, 9:42:09 AM11/21/06
sistersu wrote:

> Is there no flour in Arkansas cornbread?

In the recipe I posted for Arkansas cornbread there is NO flour. That's
the point, it's real cornbread, not that cake mix stuff a lot of people
eat. Try it, it tastes good.

George

tbsa...@att.net

Nov 21, 2006, 9:46:37 AM11/21/06

Not exactly Arkansas, but a trick I learned for jalapeno cornbread is
to blend jalapenos with the "aigs" and buttermilk. You can leave out
the seeds. When you put 5-6 jalapenos into a batch, it comes out on the
green side.. yum.

And cook it in a cast iron skillet, too.

T.

raymond

Nov 21, 2006, 10:53:21 AM11/21/06

This is pretty much my recipe. No flour and no sugar. I use more oil
in the skillet and stir the excess oil into the mix before pouring
into the skillet. In Arkansas I could get Lamb's stone ground meal
that had a medium grind, and here in Florida I can only get find grind
cornmeal, because what they make in this part of the country is more
like corn flavored cake with fine grind meal, flour, and sugar.

If you're an Arky, check out my website

www.rsgnet.net/mabelvale

sistersu

Nov 21, 2006, 1:37:37 PM11/21/06
I am making this cornbread today. I make it ahead of time & get it out of
the way. Sounds wonderful, especially with the bacon grease. Can't wait to
taste the difference.

sistersu

Nov 21, 2006, 4:44:13 PM11/21/06
I have made the cornbread & tasted it. My husband loves it as well as I. It
is a great improvement over the recipe I have always used. I always thought
you had to have flour to make a good cornbread. I doubled the recipe because
I need enough to make a big batch of dressing. We ate most of it ( I have a
few guest here ). I will make a couple more batches of it tomorrow, making
my dressing before anyone gets a chance to eat it. Thanks for the recipe. We
love it.

George Shirley

Nov 21, 2006, 4:58:58 PM11/21/06
You're welcome. I'm 67 yo and have been eating cornbread made to that
recipe since I was weened. Brought two kids up on it and now my grands
and greatgrands are eating it. My kids ate cornbread at a friends house
made with wheat flour and sugar in it and asked for more cake.

George

sistersu

Nov 21, 2006, 8:25:18 PM11/21/06
That's funny. We have also eaten cornbread with sugar in it & we don't care
for it. I have added a bit of sugar, but not a lot. My daughter made the
cornbread for me two years ago using my recipe. It calls for sugar. We
didn't realize she had added it until we bit into the dressing. YUK! My
fault, forgot to tell her I don't add the sugar, especially making cornbread
for dressing. The texture of my cornbread is like you said, more like a
cake, but with the roughness of cornmeal. My husband is 66 & I couldn't
believe he actually loved your cornbread. He never likes anything different.
We have great expectations for the dressing on Thursday. Thank goodness you
saved me from flour cornbread forever. I really appreciate you rescuing my
family from a lifetime of cake cornbread. I know they will appreciate it as
soon as they taste it. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving !!

George Shirley

Nov 22, 2006, 9:36:08 AM11/22/06
Got a call from my baby girl, soon to be 45 yo, last night. Seems the
crew will get here from Houston on Saturday but she and her husband will
be here Friday night. With the descendants far flung and, mostly,
married or living with an SO we come last on the scale for holidays. We
don't mind as long as we can get together but seems other parents want
the special day. I worked shift work for a number of years and then we
worked overseas for another number of years and determined that as long
as the family can get together the exact day of a holiday doesn't
matter. Thanksgiving is about love and family as far as we're concerned.
It will be a wonderful Thanksgiving on Saturday too. Hope y'all have a
good day too.

George

sf

Nov 22, 2006, 11:30:39 AM11/22/06
On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:36:08 -0600, George Shirley
<gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Thanksgiving is about love and family as far as we're concerned.
>It will be a wonderful Thanksgiving on Saturday too. Hope y'all have a
>good day too.

Our kids have decided that Christmas is the special time they want to
share with us... so their thanksgiving is a weekend affair spent with
the "other side" of their family. That's ok with us. We share our
thanksgiving with friends and other relatives.

--
See return address to reply by email