Pleasant surprise - Brussels sprouts

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 2:47:35 PM1/10/07
We love brussels sprouts... However, they are not available "fresh" over
here for very long periods of time, but I found some frozen ones the
other day and decided to try them - and Lo and Behold - DH said they
were "very nice". Hip Hip Hooray! Will definitely buy them again.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Steve Y

Jan 10, 2007, 3:26:37 PM1/10/07
If you want to undo the surprise, tried the tinned variety that exists
in France, have yet to taste anything much nastier;

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 3:32:07 PM1/10/07
Steve Y wrote:
> If you want to undo the surprise, tried the tinned variety that exists
> in France, have yet to taste anything much nastier;

Fortunately, tinned "anything" these days is not high up on my shopping
list. With the exception of canned tomatoes - which I still find OK.
What shocked/amused me was the fact that people use canned potatoes -
the mind boggles. ;)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Message has been deleted

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 3:41:35 PM1/10/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> canned veggie I can stand is corn.

I have to agree. Canned peas suck. Frozen peas, OTOH, are fine.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

merryb

Jan 10, 2007, 3:47:24 PM1/10/07
I've always thought canned carrots were strange, too!

Nancy Young

Jan 10, 2007, 3:52:43 PM1/10/07

"Chatty Cathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote

> Steve Y wrote:
>> If you want to undo the surprise, tried the tinned variety that exists in
>> France, have yet to taste anything much nastier;

> Fortunately, tinned "anything" these days is not high up on my shopping
> list.

Canned brussels sprouts, I don't have to try that, it must be awful.
Fresh or frozen, those are the ways I buy them.

>With the exception of canned tomatoes - which I still find OK. What
>shocked/amused me was the fact that people use canned potatoes - the mind
>boggles. ;)

I happen to like canned potatoes. Never have them, but I wouldn't
hit you if you gave some to me.

Okay, I wouldn't hit you anyway.

nancy

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 4:01:06 PM1/10/07
Nancy Young wrote:

> Okay, I wouldn't hit you anyway.

<Cathy heaves a sigh of relief>

LOL.

Seriously, never seen canned potatoes around here (and wouldn't want to
- blech.) Are they really OK?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Dave Smith

Jan 10, 2007, 4:15:07 PM1/10/07

We started by the frozen sprouts about two years ago and found
them to be surprisingly good.

Nancy Young

Jan 10, 2007, 4:15:49 PM1/10/07

"Chatty Cathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Okay, I wouldn't hit you anyway.
>
> <Cathy heaves a sigh of relief>

(laugh!)

> LOL.
>
> Seriously, never seen canned potatoes around here (and wouldn't want to -
> blech.) Are they really OK?

They have a different texture, I happen to like them. I would
not think everyone likes them, and they are not a substitute for
fresh potatoes. If that makes any sense. It's just a different
thing. They're very smooth. I like them heated up and plain or
with some butter and parsley, or I like them browned with rosemary.

nancy

Dave Smith

Jan 10, 2007, 4:17:57 PM1/10/07
Chatty Cathy wrote:

> Seriously, never seen canned potatoes around here (and wouldn't want to
> - blech.) Are they really OK?

They aren't great on their own, but a friend of ours used to use
them for roasting. They were all small, roughly the same size and
round. Being pre-cooked, they just need to be browned by roasting
them quickly in a hot oven and they looked appealing enough to
compensate for the slightly odd taste.

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 10, 2007, 4:27:02 PM1/10/07
Steve wrote:

> Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> canned veggie I can stand is corn.

I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.

Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying them, when
potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.

Bob

Message has been deleted

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 4:51:38 PM1/10/07
Nancy Young wrote:

> They have a different texture, I happen to like them. I would
> not think everyone likes them, and they are not a substitute for
> fresh potatoes. If that makes any sense. It's just a different
> thing. They're very smooth. I like them heated up and plain or
> with some butter and parsley, or I like them browned with rosemary.

My immediate thought was "mashed potatoes". Would they be good for that too?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Nancy2

Jan 10, 2007, 4:52:16 PM1/10/07

Now, see, I can't stand frozen peas, but like canned peas, probably
because I grew up on a farm and most of our winter veggies were
home-canned. I don't like frozen green beans, either, for the same
reason.

As to tomatoes, canned are superior to fresh in sauces and dishes that
call for cooked tomatoes - every chef I've ever seen interviewed says
so, and I happen to agree. The flavor is more concentrated or
something.

N.

Dave Smith

Jan 10, 2007, 4:55:37 PM1/10/07
Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> > Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> > canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>
> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.

I like canned corn. I think I may the only person I now who
actually likes canned peas, though I have not had them in years.
I like to keep garbonzo beans on hand. I am not organized enough
to soak and cook them when I need them. But creamed corn???
Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 4:58:24 PM1/10/07
Nancy2 wrote:

> Now, see, I can't stand frozen peas, but like canned peas, probably
> because I grew up on a farm and most of our winter veggies were
> home-canned. I don't like frozen green beans, either, for the same
> reason.

Maybe "home-canned" is better? I am not even fond of fresh green beans...

> As to tomatoes, canned are superior to fresh in sauces and dishes that
> call for cooked tomatoes - every chef I've ever seen interviewed says
> so, and I happen to agree. The flavor is more concentrated or
> something.

I buy canned (whole, peeled) tomatoes regularly - they are great for
tomato sauce used for pasta dishes. With fresh basil, of course <Cathy
waves to Om> ;)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Curly Sue

Jan 10, 2007, 5:02:17 PM1/10/07
On 10 Jan 2007 15:27:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

Some vegetables and other canned foods that I wouldn't ordinarily use,
I keep in the basement in case of emergencies along with bottled water
and other supplies. Once a year I donate those and buy a fresh
supply.

Sue(tm)

Dave Smith

Jan 10, 2007, 5:12:20 PM1/10/07
Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.
>
> Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying them, when
> potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.

As I mentioned in another post, a friend introduced me to them
roasted. Being small, round and the same size, they can be
quickly roasted in a hot oven and look tasty enough to make up
for the slightly different taste.

Jude

Jan 10, 2007, 5:26:22 PM1/10/07
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
> > Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> > canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>
> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.

Good list. Plus waterchestnuts as well. I also use canned tomatoes in
the winter. And black olives - the plain California kind my daughter
loves - also come in cans.

Personally, I like canned peas for cold pea salad. The frozen ones
always get all wrinkly.

But my can choices are few and far between. And thanks to
globalization, I can get lots of good fresh produce thats been trucked
to us from buttf**ck. So not too many frozen either. Cpet for spinach.
I buy frozen spinach almost every week!

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Chatty Cathy

Jan 10, 2007, 6:00:00 PM1/10/07
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> How did you prepare them? When I use the frozen I usually make a cheese
> sauce to go over them. Either that or I just use plain old butter on them.
> I've tried to saute' the frozen (after thawing) and the results were not
> good.

They went into the pot with a chunk of "real" butter, plus a sprinkling
of Ina Paarman's Garlic and Herb Mix (our version of Penzey's), and half
a teaspoon of white sugar.. Had them as a side with a roast chicken,
spuds, onions and carrots that I did in the oven. Not too shabby, as
they say around here ;)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Dawn

Jan 10, 2007, 6:27:08 PM1/10/07
Chatty Cathy wrote:

What brand did you get? The last time I tried frozen it was like eating
soggy rubber balls.

I've got fresh sprouts for dinner tonight. Picked a four foot stalk from
my garden back in Nov and they've kept pretty well on the stalk, down in
our 2nd fridge. This'll be the last of them, though. :(

Dawn

Puester

Jan 10, 2007, 6:40:53 PM1/10/07

I have used them once or twice at the end of cooking in a beef stew.
The only real benefit is that they don't "steal" all the flavor from the
broth as fresh potatoes do.

gloria p

Tara

Jan 10, 2007, 6:48:10 PM1/10/07
I like and use canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, paste, sauce, Ro-Tel),
beans, baked beans, chickpeas, bamboo shoots, hearts of palm, chili
peppers.

Tara

Mr Libido Incognito

Jan 10, 2007, 7:20:56 PM1/10/07
Tara wrote on 10 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

you forgot mexicana style corn nibblets, canned green chiles and canned
beets.

Jo Anne Slaven

Jan 10, 2007, 7:29:12 PM1/10/07
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:15:49 -0500, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Chatty Cathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote

>> Seriously, never seen canned potatoes around here (and wouldn't want to -

>> blech.) Are they really OK?
>
>They have a different texture, I happen to like them. I would
>not think everyone likes them, and they are not a substitute for
>fresh potatoes. If that makes any sense. It's just a different
>thing. They're very smooth. I like them heated up and plain or
>with some butter and parsley, or I like them browned with rosemary.

I like them too, Nancy.

Having said that, I don't think I've actually bought the things in
about 20 years. But they have their place. I think they are good to
have around when you want to whip up a stew in very little time. (Also
the canned carrots.)

They are also nice to keep in your emergency food storage pantry.

Jo Anne

Dan Abel

Jan 10, 2007, 7:34:01 PM1/10/07
In article <Xns98B4A9BE4EFD5zj...@69.28.186.121>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

> I don't think I've seen canned potatoes. Either that or I just haven't paid
> attention.

I think you haven't paid attention. But what's the point? Fresh
potatoes are available all year. I'm sure there is a use for canned
potatoes, but I can't think of anything right now.

> I used tinned tomatoes all the time in the winter.

Canned tomatoes are usually better then fresh, if you are cooking with
them. The canned tomatoes are picked fresh. The fresh tomatoes are
picked green.

I used to work in a produce warehouse.

Serene

Jan 10, 2007, 7:33:29 PM1/10/07
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:20:56 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <N...@vaild.null>
wrote:

>you forgot mexicana style corn nibblets, canned green chiles and canned
>beets.

I do use canned beets to make my pickled beet salad, but for
everything else, I use fresh and roast them (I can buy a HUGE can of
beets for just a few dollars).

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Julian Vrieslander

Jan 10, 2007, 7:34:09 PM1/10/07
Frozen brussel snouts, err... sprouts, are OK in a pinch, but no match
for the fresh ones. Recently, we've been roasting them. Much better
than boiled or steamed.

Wash, peel off any discolored leaves, trim off the stems, and cut them
in half. Lay them out, with cut side up, on a baking sheet. Brush with
olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in a 375F oven, until
tender and slightly browned, maybe about 25 minutes. At the table,
sprinkle them with few drops of balsamic vinegar or lemon juice. Grated
parmesan might be nice, too, although I have not tried that.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Serene

Jan 10, 2007, 7:40:24 PM1/10/07
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>In article <Xns98B4A9BE4EFD5zj...@69.28.186.121>,
> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:
>

>> I don't think I've seen canned potatoes. Either that or I just haven't paid
>> attention.
>

>I think you haven't paid attention. But what's the point? Fresh
>potatoes are available all year. I'm sure there is a use for canned
>potatoes, but I can't think of anything right now.

My wife says they're convenient on camping trips, and I imagine they'd
be good for an emergency kit.

serene

Dave Smith

Jan 10, 2007, 7:43:46 PM1/10/07
Julian Vrieslander wrote:

> Frozen brussel snouts, err... sprouts, are OK in a pinch, but no match
> for the fresh ones. Recently, we've been roasting them. Much better
> than boiled or steamed.

Actually, they are pretty good. When my wife first served them up
to me I was amazed at how good they were and surprised to hear
that they were frozen.

Terry Pulliam Burd

Jan 10, 2007, 8:47:42 PM1/10/07
On 10 Jan 2007 15:27:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> rummaged among random neurons and
opined:

<snip>

>Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying them, when
>potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.

Actually, I like canned potatoes for one thing: shish ke bab. They're
already cooked, stay on the skewer and once they've had marinade
slathered on 'em and grilled, they actually taste good.

Terry Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 10, 2007, 8:58:03 PM1/10/07
Dave Smith wrote:

> creamed corn??? Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.

I forgot to mention that I don't eat it by itself; I use it to make corn
pudding. I don't think creamed corn is NASTY, but I think corn pudding is a
helluva lot better.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 10, 2007, 9:06:04 PM1/10/07
Jude wrote:

> Good list. Plus waterchestnuts as well. I also use canned tomatoes in
> the winter. And black olives - the plain California kind my daughter
> loves - also come in cans.
>
> Personally, I like canned peas for cold pea salad. The frozen ones
> always get all wrinkly.

Lately, all the canned water chestnuts I've had tasted very "tinny," so I've
stopped buying them. I live close enough to San Francisco that if I *really*
want water chestnuts I think I can find fresh ones there.

My ex-girlfriend liked the California black olives, but I'm lukewarm on
them. I think most other olives are better, though the California ones are
certainly cheaper. (Too bad I didn't break up with her BEFORE I bought a
24-pack of canned olives from Costco!)

I don't mind wrinkly peas, but I only have this one recipe for pea salad:

Good Eats Green Peas with Cheese and Herbs
(from the foodnetwork "Good Eats" web site)

3 quarts water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound fresh or frozen peas, approximately 3 cups
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
4 ounces cheese (ricotta salata, fontina or Swiss), cut into 1/4-inch cubes

In a large covered saucepan over high heat, bring the water and 1/2 teaspoon
of salt to a boil. Add the peas and cook 1 minute for frozen and 3 to 3 1/2
minutes for fresh. Remove from heat, drain in a colander and immediately
plunge the peas into ice cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and set
aside.

In a medium mixing bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, shallot, salt
and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Add
the peas, mint, parsley and cheese and stir to combine. Cover and allow to
sit in refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes prior to serving.

It seems to me that canned green peas are very fragile; I can't imagine them
holding up to being tossed with a dressing. How do you make pea salad?

Bob

Dan Abel

Jan 10, 2007, 9:32:46 PM1/10/07
In article <45a59b48$0$231$bb4e...@newscene.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Lately, all the canned water chestnuts I've had tasted very "tinny," so I've
> stopped buying them. I live close enough to San Francisco that if I *really*
> want water chestnuts I think I can find fresh ones there.

Yeah, but in my extremely limited experience, they are a pain to peel.

Gregory Morrow

Jan 10, 2007, 10:46:41 PM1/10/07

Chatty Cathy wrote:

Nope, they are good prepared as Nancy explained...

I've also used them cut up in tossed salads, the texture is "soft" so
it makes a nice contrast to the crunchier ingredients...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Jan 10, 2007, 10:50:08 PM1/10/07

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Some things
> don't take well to freezing,

Yer BRAIN is "frozen", that's why yer "thinking" processes suck,
SQWERTZ...

--
Best
Greg

Goomba38

Jan 10, 2007, 11:09:46 PM1/10/07

A good corn pudding tastes a lot like corn on the cob, slathered in
butter, salt and pepper and very slightly sweet. A bad corn pudding is
one that has way too much sugar (more than a tablespoon or so) and you
can't recognize the much in the way of kernels at all. I use frozen
(thawed) corn, and mix it all up in a blender or FP briefly, but not to
liquify.

Message has been deleted

Gregory Morrow

Jan 10, 2007, 11:18:08 PM1/10/07

Dan Abel wrote:

> I used to work in a produce warehouse.

You have any 'secrets of the trade' to share mit us, Dan...???

--
Best
Greg

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

kilikini

Jan 10, 2007, 11:42:46 PM1/10/07
"Chatty Cathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Steve Y wrote:
> > If you want to undo the surprise, tried the tinned variety that exists
> > in France, have yet to taste anything much nastier;
> >

> Fortunately, tinned "anything" these days is not high up on my shopping
> list. With the exception of canned tomatoes - which I still find OK.
> What shocked/amused me was the fact that people use canned potatoes -
> the mind boggles. ;)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Ugh, someone gave me a can of potatoes one time and I thought, what the
heck? NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!! Why on earth do they exist in a can when
they're so cheap and easy to obtain in their natural form?

kili

Message has been deleted

projectile...@netzero.com

Jan 11, 2007, 1:26:15 AM1/11/07

Jo Anne Slaven wrote:
> I think they are good to
> have around when you want to whip up a stew in very little time. (Also
> the canned carrots.)

How ridiculous. Fresh carrots and potatoes cook in very little time if
you cut them in smaller pieces. I can't believe all of the ridiculous,
anal retentive, and just plain silly things I read on here that people
think is necessary.

> They are also nice to keep in your emergency food storage pantry.

I agree.

Chatty Cathy

Jan 11, 2007, 3:34:35 AM1/11/07
Dawn wrote:

> What brand did you get? The last time I tried frozen it was like eating
> soggy rubber balls.

These were McCain brand, Dawn.

> I've got fresh sprouts for dinner tonight. Picked a four foot stalk from
> my garden back in Nov and they've kept pretty well on the stalk, down in
> our 2nd fridge. This'll be the last of them, though. :(

Sigh. Lucky fish.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

nancree

Jan 11, 2007, 4:06:03 AM1/11/07
------------------------
I like to keep a couple of cans of potatoes (sliced are preferred) on
hand.
They are like new potatoes. They are good when fried with good butter
and sliced onions--very tasty indeed. They can turn an ordinary
breakfast into something special. Or a dinner, and children love them.
Nice to serve with a last-minute barbecue, or ?? After you get over
the surprise, I think you will enjoy them once in a while.
Cheers, Nancree
> kili

robo...@googlemail.com

Jan 11, 2007, 4:59:29 AM1/11/07

nancree wrote:
> I like to keep a couple of cans of potatoes (sliced are preferred) on
> hand.
> They are like new potatoes. They are good when fried with good butter
> and sliced onions--very tasty indeed. They can turn an ordinary
> breakfast into something special. Or a dinner, and children love them.
> Nice to serve with a last-minute barbecue, or ?? After you get over
> the surprise, I think you will enjoy them once in a while.

When we go out as a family, then I like to take picnic food rather than
sandwiches. Not that it always happens :-( So I need a number of dishes
that I can make quickly in the morning. Canned "new"-ish potatoes
covered in what I call mayonnaise makes a quick and edible potato salad.

robo...@googlemail.com

Jan 11, 2007, 5:00:21 AM1/11/07

Steve Y wrote:
> If you want to undo the surprise, tried the tinned variety that exists
> in France, have yet to taste anything much nastier;

Once when I was in France I bought some tinned hommous. Please note the
word "once".

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

TammyM

Jan 11, 2007, 10:46:55 AM1/11/07

My mother worked and didn't like cooking (still doesn't). We had them
when I was a kid and I loved them. Saw them in the store a few (quite
a few!) years ago, and bought a can. One bite -- BLECH! Why my
mother didn't press my sister and me into service peeling potatoes
rather than resorting to that stuff is beyond me!

TammyM

TammyM

Jan 11, 2007, 10:55:41 AM1/11/07
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:55:37 -0500, Dave Smith
<adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>>

>> > Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
>> > canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>>
>> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
>> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.
>
>I like canned corn. I think I may the only person I now who
>actually likes canned peas, though I have not had them in years.
>I like to keep garbonzo beans on hand. I am not organized enough
>to soak and cook them when I need them. But creamed corn???

>Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.

I LOVE canned peas if they're mooshed up with a bit of butter and
served with fish and chips. Oddly enough, I don't care for them any
other way, and far and away prefer fresh or frozen. When I say "mushy
peas", most non-Brits think I'm out of my mind :-) Heh. I just like
'em!

TammyM

TammyM

Jan 11, 2007, 10:56:24 AM1/11/07
On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:09:46 -0500, Goomba38 <goom...@comcast.net>
wrote:

A good corn pudding is heaven on earth. But a rare treat, it's pretty
calorific!

TammyM

jmcquown

Jan 11, 2007, 11:04:53 AM1/11/07
Nancy Young wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>
>>> Okay, I wouldn't hit you anyway.
>>
>> <Cathy heaves a sigh of relief>
>
> (laugh!)
>>
>> LOL.
>>
>> Seriously, never seen canned potatoes around here (and wouldn't want
>> to - blech.) Are they really OK?

> They have a different texture, I happen to like them. I would
> not think everyone likes them, and they are not a substitute for
> fresh potatoes. If that makes any sense. It's just a different
> thing. They're very smooth. I like them heated up and plain or
> with some butter and parsley, or I like them browned with rosemary.
>
> nancy

The ones my mom bought were "new potatoes" (the small red ones, peeled).
She used to deep fry them. They were good that way!

Jill

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 11:29:55 AM1/11/07
In article <1168506363....@i39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
"nancree" <nan...@aol.com> wrote:

We used to use them for camping. :-)
They make lovely fried breakfast potatoes...

Camping out in the boondocks like my parents used to do causes some
unique food storage challenges. Canned stuff is good.

I have very fond memories of canned bacon!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 11:42:32 AM1/11/07
In article <45a559af$0$175$bb4e...@newscene.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
> > Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> > canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>
> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.
>

> Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying them, when
> potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.
>
> Bob

Since we rarely, if ever, eat potatoes, it's not much of an issue
anymore, but they hold fond memories. :-)

Regular canned goods in my pantry include:

Low salt (no salt added) of the following:

Peas, corn, regular and french cut string beans, spinach, chopped
tomatoes, whole tomatoes, tomato paste and beets. The "no salt" added
veggies are _drastically_ lower in sodium and the flavor and texture are
superior, but that's a personal opinion.

Regular canned goods include baby corn, straw mushrooms, button
mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and quail eggs canned in
water.

Meat is water canned tuna, clams, and dad buys turkey spam.

Chatty Cathy

Jan 11, 2007, 11:45:01 AM1/11/07
Omelet wrote:

<snip>

> and quail eggs canned in
> water.

Quail eggs?? Really?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 12:06:15 PM1/11/07
In article <3xk58pyxq7ws$.d...@sqwertz.com>,
Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On 10 Jan 2007 15:27:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>
> > Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying them, when
> > potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.
>

> There's something to be said for those Green Giant Canned White
> Potatoes. They have a taste and texture that you can't duplicate
> at home. It's kinda like childhood comfort food for me.
>
> -sw

I know exactly what you mean!

Pressure cooked potatoes, re-heated, come pretty close.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 12:07:54 PM1/11/07
In article <45A560D9...@sympatico.ca>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> >

> > > Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
> > > canned veggie I can stand is corn.
> >
> > I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> > garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.
>

> I like canned corn. I think I may the only person I now who
> actually likes canned peas, though I have not had them in years.
> I like to keep garbonzo beans on hand. I am not organized enough

> to soak and cook them when I need them. But creamed corn???

> Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.

Perhaps by itself, but it's the gods in cornbread, and corn waffles!!!!!!

Mom used to make the most _divine_ corn waffles using canned cream corn.

Sorry, I don't have the recipe. Knowing her, she made it up as she went
along.

I believe she added it to the batter aliquot right before it was cooked.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 12:09:06 PM1/11/07
In article <0huaq2h4v9qn791gh...@4ax.com>,
Tara <jarv...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I like and use canned tomatoes (crushed, diced, paste, sauce, Ro-Tel),
> beans, baked beans, chickpeas, bamboo shoots, hearts of palm, chili
> peppers.
>
> Tara

Never tried canned palm hearts.

What do you use them for?

Canned chilis are good in omelets. :-)

Dan Abel

Jan 11, 2007, 12:14:37 PM1/11/07
In article <Xns98B541280EC1Azj...@69.28.186.121>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:

> Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net>
>

> > I used to work in a produce warehouse.
>
> Ohhh... this is useful to know. Now I know who to go to with produce
> questions ;)

Good luck. I unloaded trucks. I was 18 (I'm now 57). I know a few
things, but not much. I saw the tomatoes, and they were green. They
went into a special room to turn red, supervised by the tomato/potato
guy.

Serene

Jan 11, 2007, 12:19:14 PM1/11/07
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:42:32 -0600, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Regular canned goods in my pantry include:

Hmm. Regular canned goods in my pantry include:

Tomatoes in several forms (whole, diced, crushed, paste, sauce --
whatever's cheap at the store)

Tuna and other fish snacks for James

Beets (huge-mongous can for making my gallon of pickled beets -- I
think I'll do that today)

And occasionally, water chestnuts

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com

Dan Abel

Jan 11, 2007, 12:21:04 PM1/11/07
In article <1168489088.2...@o58g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > I used to work in a produce warehouse.
>

> You have any 'secrets of the trade' to share mit us, Dan...???

Yeah, "fresh" produce isn't what it claims to be.

Little Malice

Jan 11, 2007, 12:23:51 PM1/11/07
One time on Usenet, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> said:
> In article <45A560D9...@sympatico.ca>,
> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > > I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> > > garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke
> hearts.
> >
> > I like canned corn. I think I may the only person I now who
> > actually likes canned peas, though I have not had them in years.

I love canned peas.

> > I like to keep garbonzo beans on hand. I am not organized enough
> > to soak and cook them when I need them. But creamed corn???
> > Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.

We like it once in a while, but I put some milk, salt and pepper
in it. I grew up on canned veggies -- either from the store or the
ones my mom put up herself, so they don't bother me. Except for
canned potatoes, I just don't care for those. Prolly 'cuz Mom
never bought or made them.

> Perhaps by itself, but it's the gods in cornbread, and corn waffles!!!!!!

And baked corn:

Baked Corn - Rhonda Mellott (allrecipes.com)

1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 (12 ounce) package corn muffin mix
3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
2/3 small can roasted green chilis (optional)

Combine whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream,
eggs, cheese, chilis, and corn muffin mix. Mix well. Can
refrigerate if making ahead is desired. When ready to bake,
add melted butter and pour into 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake
at 350ē F. for 40 to 45 minutes.

I made this on Tuesday to go with some lovely tenderloin steaks
and had the leftovers last night with chicken breasts in a cream
of mushroom soup sauce. So good!

> Mom used to make the most _divine_ corn waffles using canned cream corn.
>
> Sorry, I don't have the recipe. Knowing her, she made it up as she went
> along.
>
> I believe she added it to the batter aliquot right before it was cooked.

^^^^^^^
Darn, I wish she'd written it down, that sounds good!

--
Jani in WA

Kate Connally

Jan 11, 2007, 12:33:53 PM1/11/07
Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 10 Jan 2007 15:27:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>

>>Steve wrote:
>>

>>>Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
>>>canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>>
>>I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
>>garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke hearts.
>

> Beets, and that's all I'll add to my list. Beans I buy dry. The
> rest usually have so much citric acid that they're downright
> nasty - including most canned tomato products.
>
> Creamed corn? I'd rather suck on cobs. Corn cobs, that is.

Canned potatoes are actually pretty good, I recently discovered.
I was making something that called for potatoes and I happened
to see them while I was getting other canned items. I hadn't
realized they made canned potoatoes. I got them because I really
didn't have the energy to deal with peeling potatoes. Actually
whenever possible I leave the skins on. I absolutely hate peeling
potatoes! I plan to use canned one more now that I know they
exist and aren't bad at all.

I always use canned corn except in the summer when I can get
corn on the cob from local farmers. I used to always use frozen
corn but I found out that nowadays, due to better processing
techniques I'm guessing, canned corn has a much better, crisper
texture than frozen. Although you have to use the right brands -
Green Giant or Del Monte. I bought Libby's once when it was on
sale an it was nasty and mushy.

I love canned cream-style corn. I eat it often.

I don't mind canned green beans and prefer them to frozen which
have a nasty texture change due to freezing. I try to use fresh
what at all possible but will use canned when good fresh beans are
not available.

Of course, canned tomatoes are infinitely better than the vast
majority of fresh tomatoes available most of the year. I only
use fresh in things that are to be cooked when I can get really
ripe tomatoes from the farm market.

Canned baked beans suck - due to the mushy texture and the
nasty sauce they put on them. I do like other canned beans such
as black beans, black-eyed peas, garbanzos, butter beans, etc.

I won't touch canned peas or limas with a 30-foot pole. Yuck!
Peas and limas are some of my favorite veggies but I'll only
eat fresh or frozen. I actually prefer frozen to fresh as fresh
are too expensive and too much work.

Canned greens and kale and spinach are fine and I use them
sometimes. I like frozez also and what I buy depends on what
I'm using it for and how lazy and/or short of time I am.

I love the canned diced green chiles. I use them all the time.

Also I sometimes use canned jalapenos but only the ones packed
in water. I hate the pickled ones.

Canned water chestnuts are great.

I can't think of any more canned veggies that I eat. Most
of the other canned items are things I don't like.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 12:44:41 PM1/11/07
In article <45A5575B...@sympatico.ca>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> >
> > We love brussels sprouts... However, they are not available "fresh" over
> > here for very long periods of time, but I found some frozen ones the
> > other day and decided to try them - and Lo and Behold - DH said they
> > were "very nice". Hip Hip Hooray! Will definitely buy them again.
>
> We started by the frozen sprouts about two years ago and found
> them to be surprisingly good.

Ok, so how are you cooking those? (yeah I know I've asked this question
before, but I've not quite worked up the nerve to try them again. Its'
been years!)

I plan to try roasting them first as part of a veggie mix, probably with
chicken or pork roast.

Dave Smith

Jan 11, 2007, 1:48:29 PM1/11/07
Omelet wrote:

> > We started by the frozen sprouts about two years ago and found
> > them to be surprisingly good.
>
> Ok, so how are you cooking those? (yeah I know I've asked this question
> before, but I've not quite worked up the nerve to try them again. Its'
> been years!)
>
> I plan to try roasting them first as part of a veggie mix, probably with
> chicken or pork roast.

We usually just boil them until there is still a slight crunch to
them.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 1:51:34 PM1/11/07
In article <zQtph.2873$sE7...@newsfe21.lga>,
Chatty Cathy <cath...@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > and quail eggs canned in
> > water.
>
> Quail eggs?? Really?

Yes, dad LOVES them and they are only about $1.39 per can at the asian
market. :-) 10 oz. cans.

He feels that they are a real "treat" when I add them to various dishes,
mostly stir fry's.

I add them once the recipe is done, drained and rinsed in a screen
colander. The residual heat of the food heats them.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 1:52:49 PM1/11/07
In article <69scq2lksn4qss5m5...@4ax.com>,
Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:42:32 -0600, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Regular canned goods in my pantry include:
>
> Hmm. Regular canned goods in my pantry include:
>
> Tomatoes in several forms (whole, diced, crushed, paste, sauce --
> whatever's cheap at the store)
>
> Tuna and other fish snacks for James
>
> Beets (huge-mongous can for making my gallon of pickled beets -- I
> think I'll do that today)
>
> And occasionally, water chestnuts
>
> Serene

:-)

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 1:55:40 PM1/11/07
In article <eo5rr7$g0hi...@news.avvanta.com>,
Little...@gmail.communge (Little Malice) wrote:

> And baked corn:
>
> Baked Corn - Rhonda Mellott (allrecipes.com)
>
> 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
> 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn
> 1/2 cup sour cream
> 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1 (12 ounce) package corn muffin mix
> 3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
> 2/3 small can roasted green chilis (optional)
>
> Combine whole-kernel corn, cream-style corn, sour cream,
> eggs, cheese, chilis, and corn muffin mix. Mix well. Can
> refrigerate if making ahead is desired. When ready to bake,
> add melted butter and pour into 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake

> at 350º F. for 40 to 45 minutes.

> I made this on Tuesday to go with some lovely tenderloin steaks
> and had the leftovers last night with chicken breasts in a cream
> of mushroom soup sauce. So good!

Nice! I'm keeping that one. :-)

> > Mom used to make the most _divine_ corn waffles using canned cream corn.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't have the recipe. Knowing her, she made it up as she went
> > along.
> >
> > I believe she added it to the batter aliquot right before it was cooked.
> ^^^^^^^
> Darn, I wish she'd written it down, that sounds good!

She made a standard sourdough waffle recipe. Since not all of us wanted
"corn waffles", I'm pretty sure she added 1 or 2 tablespoons of canned
cream corn directly to the measuring cup prior to pouring it into the
waffle maker. She used an electric one.

You could experiment and see.

It was very good!

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 1:58:13 PM1/11/07
In article <eo5se0$pif$1...@usenet01.srv.cis.pitt.edu>,
Kate Connally <conn...@pitt.edu> wrote:

> I won't touch canned peas or limas with a 30-foot pole. Yuck!
> Peas and limas are some of my favorite veggies but I'll only
> eat fresh or frozen. I actually prefer frozen to fresh as fresh
> are too expensive and too much work.

Seriously, try the "no salt added" variety of canned peas.
There is a _world_ of difference in flavor, and even more so in texture.
I think that they compare well to fresh frozen.

I use either/or in fried rice and it's hard to tell the difference. The
FF are a bit crisper is all.

Cindy Hamilton

Jan 11, 2007, 2:21:19 PM1/11/07

Kate Connally wrote:

> I don't mind canned green beans and prefer them to frozen which
> have a nasty texture change due to freezing. I try to use fresh
> what at all possible but will use canned when good fresh beans are
> not available.

Do you cook your green beans a long time? I do 'em so they're
past the "squeaky" stage, but still quite crisp. Canned just can't
produce that effect.

Cindy Hamilton

Default User

Jan 11, 2007, 2:48:12 PM1/11/07
Omelet wrote:

> In article <3xk58pyxq7ws$.d...@sqwertz.com>,
> Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:
>
> > On 10 Jan 2007 15:27:02 -0600, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> >
> > > Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying
> > > them, when potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.
> >
> > There's something to be said for those Green Giant Canned White
> > Potatoes. They have a taste and texture that you can't duplicate
> > at home. It's kinda like childhood comfort food for me.
> >
> > -sw
>
> I know exactly what you mean!

I don't think I've ever had canned potatoes.

When I hear of them, I always think of this maudlin tale I read
somewhere about a guy who couldn't read. One scene had him promising
the children a treat for dessert. He disappears into the kitchen, but
doesn't come back. The kids go in and find him devastated, he's bought
canned potatoes because the picture looked like canned pears.

Brian

won't shut up.

Omelet

Jan 11, 2007, 2:58:51 PM1/11/07
In article <45A6867D...@sympatico.ca>,
Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Boil? As in covering them completely in water?

Hm, I've never boiled any veggie.

Steamed, yes, but not boiled.

Nancy Young

Jan 11, 2007, 3:02:27 PM1/11/07

"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> wrote

> When I hear of them, I always think of this maudlin tale I read
> somewhere about a guy who couldn't read. One scene had him promising
> the children a treat for dessert. He disappears into the kitchen, but
> doesn't come back. The kids go in and find him devastated, he's bought
> canned potatoes because the picture looked like canned pears.

Imagine the disappointment! No canned pears! Darn.

nancy

notbob

Jan 11, 2007, 4:40:32 PM1/11/07
On 2007-01-11, Kate Connally <conn...@pitt.edu> wrote:

> corn but I found out that nowadays, due to better processing
> techniques I'm guessing, canned corn has a much better, crisper
> texture than frozen.

It's probably more the processor and crop than the process. Also,
some corns tend to toughen up when cooked longer. Frozen veggies are
only partially cooked.

> Green Giant or Del Monte. I bought Libby's once when it was on
> sale an it was nasty and mushy.

I depends on the location of the cannery and the crops at the time.

> I love canned cream-style corn. I eat it often.

Regular corn with cornstarch, sugar, and salt added and then fully
cooked prior to canning.

> I don't mind canned green beans and prefer them to frozen which

Again, the source. Canned green beans are usually quite good, but I
recently ran across a house brand that is so incredibly bad, I'm
returning them to the store.

Strangely enough, plain canned veggies are about as unadulterated as
you're likely to find. The only thing added is water and salt. The
can is then pressure cooked for about 30 mins. This canning process
is more about sterilizing the contents than cooking them. What
comes out of the can is only as good as what goes in.

nb

notbob

Jan 11, 2007, 4:47:01 PM1/11/07
On 2007-01-11, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously, try the "no salt added" variety of canned peas.
> There is a _world_ of difference in flavor, and even more so in texture.
> I think that they compare well to fresh frozen.

It used to be "no salt" canned veggies were what you got when you
bought "diet" labeled canned goods. The cannery just turned off the
salt water machine on the same can line. Long ago, diet items came in
smaller cans and a special line (after the can filling machine) had to
be set up to run them. Now, with salt being much more an issue and
the "no salt" goods being canned in the same can, I suspect they need
only turn of the salt machine and insert different lables.

nb

jmcquown

Jan 11, 2007, 5:13:23 PM1/11/07
Omelet wrote:
> In article <45A6867D...@sympatico.ca>,
> Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Ok, so how are you cooking those? (yeah I know I've asked this
>>> question before, but I've not quite worked up the nerve to try them
>>> again. Its' been years!)
>>>
>>> I plan to try roasting them first as part of a veggie mix, probably
>>> with chicken or pork roast.
>>

>> We usually just boil them until there is still a slight crunch to
>> them.
>
> Boil? As in covering them completely in water?
>
> Hm, I've never boiled any veggie.
>
> Steamed, yes, but not boiled.

You can put the frozen brussels sprouts in a microwave safe container with a
tablespoonful or two of water, cover and nuke them. Read the package
directions.

Jill

Little Malice

Jan 11, 2007, 5:16:27 PM1/11/07
One time on Usenet, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> said:

I'm going to put your post in my "Must Try" file and will fiddle
with it sometime (or get Miguel to do it -- he's the waffle baker
in our house). Thanks... :-)

--
Jani in WA

Little Malice

Jan 11, 2007, 5:18:24 PM1/11/07
One time on Usenet, "Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> said:

> I don't think I've ever had canned potatoes.

I tried them just once. We were less than impressed.

> When I hear of them, I always think of this maudlin tale I read
> somewhere about a guy who couldn't read. One scene had him promising
> the children a treat for dessert. He disappears into the kitchen, but
> doesn't come back. The kids go in and find him devastated, he's bought
> canned potatoes because the picture looked like canned pears.

Oh geez, that's just sad...

--
Jani in WA

Tara

Jan 11, 2007, 7:44:32 PM1/11/07
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:09:06 -0600, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Never tried canned palm hearts.
>
>What do you use them for?

Add them to a green salad.

Tara

jmcquown

Jan 11, 2007, 7:45:30 PM1/11/07
Serene wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:34:01 -0800, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <Xns98B4A9BE4EFD5zj...@69.28.186.121>,

>> "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <shop...@foodsource.eat> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think I've seen canned potatoes. Either that or I just
>>> haven't paid attention.
>>

>> I think you haven't paid attention. But what's the point? Fresh
>> potatoes are available all year. I'm sure there is a use for canned
>> potatoes, but I can't think of anything right now.
>
> My wife says they're convenient on camping trips, and I imagine they'd
> be good for an emergency kit.
>
> serene

Yes, they would be good for an emergency kit.

Jill <--making note to buy some for that purpose

Tara

Jan 11, 2007, 7:50:18 PM1/11/07
wrote:

>you forgot mexicana style corn nibblets, canned green chiles and canned
>beets.

How do you use the Mexican corn? Heat and eat or do you have a recipe
you like?

I like canned beets in salads. It's been a while since I bought green
chiles. I think the little cans of diced jalapeno have more flavor
and either they are milder than they used to be or I have more
tolerance. Or both.

I should disclose that my boys inhale canned peas and French cut green
beans.

Tara

jmcquown

Jan 11, 2007, 7:52:49 PM1/11/07
Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> Its those *canned* vegetables that are just horrible. The only
>> canned veggie I can stand is corn.
>
> I like the following canned vegetables: pickled beets, kidney beans,
> garbanzo beans, creamed corn, bamboo shoots, or marinated artichoke
> hearts.

I buy canned beans - kidney, great northern, navy, garbanzos... like that.
I buy canned artichoke hearts (usually just in salted water, not marinated,
and then I rinse them). I've bought canned bamboo shoots and canned water
chestnuts. I buy canned corn on occasion but prefer fresh or frozen. I
despise canned peas.

> Canned potatoes aren't BAD, I just don't see the point of buying
> them, when potatoes of that size cook so quickly already.

Perhaps because they don't have to be peeled? Mom used to deep fry the
little suckers and they were pretty good. I might deep fry something once
every 10-15 years. As others have mentioned, canned potatoes are probably
good for an emergency food kit. Not sure about camping since they sure
aren't as good as baked potatoes cooked right there in the coals :)

Jill

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 11, 2007, 7:55:03 PM1/11/07
Nancy replied:

>> When I hear of them, I always think of this maudlin tale I read
>> somewhere about a guy who couldn't read. One scene had him promising
>> the children a treat for dessert. He disappears into the kitchen, but
>> doesn't come back. The kids go in and find him devastated, he's bought
>> canned potatoes because the picture looked like canned pears.
>
> Imagine the disappointment! No canned pears! Darn.

Reminds me of the this urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/business/market/babyfood.asp

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Jan 11, 2007, 8:02:03 PM1/11/07
Om asked:

> Never tried canned palm hearts.
>
> What do you use them for?

Emeril did a show about them:
www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ee/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9957_19676,00.html

Where I grew up in Florida, hearts of palm were known as "swamp cabbage."
The fresh palm core was cooked in water with ham, and served at fish fries.

Bob

Gregory Morrow

Jan 11, 2007, 8:11:17 PM1/11/07

Little Malice wrote:

> One time on Usenet, Omelet <omp_o...@gmail.com> said:
> > In article <45A560D9...@sympatico.ca>,
> > Dave Smith <adavid...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > hearts.
> > >
> > > I like canned corn. I think I may the only person I now who
> > > actually likes canned peas, though I have not had them in years.
>
> I love canned peas.

I use canned peas pretty much exclusively in tossed salads, the softness of
them is a nice contrast to the crunchiness of the other stuff...

> > > I like to keep garbonzo beans on hand. I am not organized enough
> > > to soak and cook them when I need them. But creamed corn???
> > > Sorry, but that stuff is just plain nasty.
>
> We like it once in a while, but I put some milk, salt and pepper
> in it. I grew up on canned veggies -- either from the store or the
> ones my mom put up herself, so they don't bother me. Except for
> canned potatoes, I just don't care for those. Prolly 'cuz Mom
> never bought or made them.

At least once a week I make some kind of soup or other in my crockpot,
canned veg always go into that. Either corn or green beans...and always
canned tomatoes.

A can of creamed corn can be used to "thicken" such a concoction. Creamed
corn is also good for making cornbread...

--
Best
Greg

Jo Anne Slaven

Jan 11, 2007, 8:16:21 PM1/11/07
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 08:00:48 -0600, Alan Moo...@visi.com wrote:

>I bet you could use those to make hog German potato salad.
>You know, bacon, potatoes, a bit of vinegar and a bit of
>sugar -- all done in a skillet.
>
>Someone should have a recipe.

That *IS* the recipe! :-p

Jo Anne

Nancy Young

Jan 11, 2007, 8:53:25 PM1/11/07

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote

> Nancy replied:

>> Imagine the disappointment! No canned pears! Darn.

> Reminds me of the this urban legend:
>
> http://www.snopes.com/business/market/babyfood.asp

Funny. A number of years back, though, it's true that people
were buying some brand (Sunlight?) of dishwashing liquid
thinking it was lemon juice because of the lemons on the label.

Why would someone think, oh, look, lemon juice and conveniently
here with the dishwashing stuff, I don't know.

nancy

Gregory Morrow

Jan 11, 2007, 10:17:35 PM1/11/07

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

I'll simmer mine all day (southron style, with a piece of fatback), canned
works just fine as the effect in the final dish will be the same :-)

--
Best
Greg

It is loading more messages.