Eggless Fried Rice

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 11:16:57 AM8/21/07
Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
delicious.

cybercat

Aug 21, 2007, 11:21:17 AM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

So do that. You can also just leave the egg out, and it is fine.

Paul M. Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 11:29:03 AM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I guess I'm missing something in your question, but here goes:

remove the eggs from the ingredient list
prepare as otherwise directed.

Paul

Message has been deleted

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 12:15:33 PM8/21/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this?
>
> These questions from Google Groups keep getting harder and
> harder. One day they're gonna post a trick question of some
> sort.
>
> -sw

And you thought my questions were hard...

Paul M. Cook

Aug 21, 2007, 12:20:12 PM8/21/07

"Scott" <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?

Paul

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 12:25:11 PM8/21/07
I need a recipe for a hamburger without the ham. I had at one time but
lost it. Can't find on google either.

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 12:36:25 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 11:16?am, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

The bits of egg are little more than a garnish, simply omit. If you
like you can add something else to add interest instead, like sliced
mushrooms. I never knew there was an actual recipe for fried rice,
isn't it just a way to use up whatever left overs... I sometimes make
Chinese fried rice with no rice, I use left over pasta instead.

Sheldon

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:03:40 PM8/21/07
In article <1187709417.3...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Just make fried rice...

and leave out the eggs!

If you are concerned about the texture issue, substitute some tofu
chunks.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:04:46 PM8/21/07
In article <vNmdnUzppqV2jFbb...@giganews.com>,
Scott <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Y'all are being cruel now. ;-)

Be nice to the cooking newbies please?

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 1:05:18 PM8/21/07
In article <1187714185.6...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

Now that is an interesting idea...

Dan Abel

Aug 21, 2007, 1:10:26 PM8/21/07
In article <0hEyi.1255$Uf7.722@trnddc06>,

Yeah, but it takes too long to scrape the cheese off.

:-)

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 1:15:01 PM8/21/07

You must work at McDonald's

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 2:28:42 PM8/21/07

The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...

--
Jani in WA

Peter A

Aug 21, 2007, 2:39:03 PM8/21/07
In article <fafasq$40f2...@news.avvanta.com>,
Little...@gmail.communge says...

You can also throw in some fried tofu (age, pronounced ah-gay) which has
a consistency similar to eggs.

--
Peter Aitken

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 3:04:46 PM8/21/07

Based on most of the idiotic and sarcastic responses, I'm guessing
many people have never eaten real chinese fried rice, or what you
think is real chinese fried rice -- isn't.

I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
been reduced to..

Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.

Anyway, whoever said to put tofu instead -- thanks, I'll try that.

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree

Aug 21, 2007, 3:11:15 PM8/21/07

"Little Malice" <Little...@gmail.communge> wrote in message

> One time on Usenet, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>>
>> I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
>> egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
>> did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
>> Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
>> delicious.

Not being a Biotch here but roe is fish eggs. Depending on what component of
the egg causes your allergy you might also be susceptible to an allergic
reaction from roe. Just a thought.

Cindi

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 3:34:45 PM8/21/07

Good idea -- I should have thought of that...

--
Jani in WA

Scott

Aug 21, 2007, 3:42:18 PM8/21/07

Dan Abel

Aug 21, 2007, 3:44:30 PM8/21/07
In article <1187723086.6...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 12:36 pm, Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:

> > isn't it just a way to use up whatever left overs... I sometimes make
> > Chinese fried rice with no rice, I use left over pasta instead.

> Based on most of the idiotic and sarcastic responses, I'm guessing

> many people have never eaten real chinese fried rice, or what you
> think is real chinese fried rice -- isn't.
>
> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> been reduced to..

Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
served to round eyes.

Having said that, I like fried rice and often order it.

Message has been deleted

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 3:55:23 PM8/21/07
In article <mcgmc3hrn3nbb3blc...@4ax.com>,
Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> >> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> >> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> >> been reduced to..
> >
> >Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
> >to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
> >certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
> >in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
> >served to round eyes.
>

> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Amusing.

That is the way I tend to treat Omelets. ;-)

"Leftovers" Omelets are wonderful.

Around here (south central Texas), mix with eggs and stuff into a flour
tortilla for breakfast tacos, with a bit of added salsa.

Leftovers, if treated properly, can be as big of a treat as the original
meal.

I may also use leftovers in green salads depending on what they are.

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 3:56:01 PM8/21/07

The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.

The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
(spicey).

Btw, I hope she's reading this, because the best thing your fiancee
can do is to dump you, you are ignorant, hostile, and abusive... she
needs to literally run for her life.

Sheldon

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 3:58:44 PM8/21/07
In article <1187726161.2...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

> > Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
> > ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
> > fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
> > rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.
>
> The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
> more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.

Not at MY house!!!

> The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
> not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
> wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
> the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
> ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
> especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
> Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
> they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
> at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
> dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
> msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
> (spicey).

You must eat at different Chinese places than I do...
But, we do live in different States (in more ways than one).

> Sheldon

Little Malice

Aug 21, 2007, 3:58:56 PM8/21/07
Attributions reinstated:

One time on Usenet, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> said:

> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Abe, please watch your attributions -- I had no idea who you
were replying to. I agree, however. I think the OP, who was
obviously too lazy to look this up for him/herself, has some
strange ideas about fried rice...

--
Jani in WA

Omelet

Aug 21, 2007, 4:03:40 PM8/21/07
In article <fafg60$2c0f...@news.avvanta.com>,
Little...@gmail.communge (Little Malice) wrote:

Nah.

He/she probably just thinks that recipes are written in stone. :-)

Those of us that really know how to cook know better.

I rarely follow recipes. I cook mostly by what I have on hand, and to
personal tastes and adjust accordingly.

I almost never make anything the same way twice, and I rarely measure
ingredients using measuring tools. I most often make it up as I go
along. If something turns out exceptionally well or I want to post it, I
try to remember at least approximate amounts to scribble down.

And I'm ok with that. :-d

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 4:21:17 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:58?pm, Omelet <omp_ome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <1187726161.238993.281...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Sheldon <PENMAR...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
> > > ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with chinese
> > > fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to make fried
> > > rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat for dinner.
>
> > The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
> > more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.
>
> Not at MY house!!!

Talkin' restaurants here... whoever told you Chinese restaurant food
ain't fattening lied.. it's about the highest caloric content food on
the planet, most of those calories from fat.

> > The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
> > not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
> > wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
> > the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
> > ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
> > especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
> > Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
> > they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
> > at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
> > dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
> > msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
> > (spicey).
>
> You must eat at different Chinese places than I do...
> But, we do live in different States (in more ways than one).

Odds are you don't have Chinese restaurants anywhere nearby... there
are none within a hundred miles of where I live now either. And those
take outs and buffets don't serve anything resembling North American
China Town restaurant food.... every one I've ever been to serves
fried rice more akin to Puerto Rican rice. Those take outs and
buffets scattered about most every neighborhood serve Chinese food
like Taco Bell serves Mexican food.

Sheldon

Peter A

Aug 21, 2007, 4:21:35 PM8/21/07
In article <1187723086.6...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
ebr...@gmail.com says...

> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> been reduced to.

But that's exactly what it is and has been for centuries. Here's a quote
from Irene Kuo's book "The Key to Chinese Cooking:"

"Fried rice, created primarily as a way to reheat leftover cold rice, is
an incidental in the Chinese diet. It is a snack, served in the
afternoon or eaten on a train or in a restaurant; it is never served
with a regular meal."

--
Peter Aitken

Message has been deleted

Sheldon

Aug 21, 2007, 4:39:18 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:34?pm, Little.Mal...@gmail.communge (Little Malice)
wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Peter A <pait...@CRAPnc.rr.com> said:
>

> > In article <fafasq$40f2_...@news.avvanta.com>,
> > Little.Mal...@gmail.communge says...

> > > The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...
>
> > You can also throw in some fried tofu (age, pronounced ah-gay) which has
> > a consistency similar to eggs.
>
> Good idea -- I should have thought of that...

Why?

I've eaten at every China Town in the US and Canada, never seen tofo
in fried rice... in fact tofu is not a common ingredient on their
menus, very few dishes contain tofu and in those few dishes it's added
in minute quantites. In case you've never noticed very very few
Chinese people eat at the places that cater to round eyes. Few round
eyes will eat tofu, it would get scraped to the edge of the dish and
left there... they are not going to waste ingredients that round eyes
typically won't eat. If you want authentic Chinese food then
patronize those Chinese eateries where the Chinese people eat...
hopefully you are fluent in the various dialects... and be prepared to
be disgusted by a lot of the viands that arrive. Btw, they don't eat
fly lice, won't be on their menu.

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 21, 2007, 4:53:31 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 11:15 am, Scott <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article <0hEyi.1255$Uf7.722@trnddc06>,
> > "Paul M. Cook" <pmBERMUDA_SHORTSc...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> >> "Scott" <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?
>
> > Yeah, but it takes too long to scrape the cheese off.
>
> > :-)
>
> You must work at McDonald's

I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today. Why
can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with it, the
process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-
make it. I called their comments line. They're going to send me a
coupon for a free burger.

--Bryan

notbob

Aug 21, 2007, 5:00:43 PM8/21/07
On 2007-08-21, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:

> parts of earlier posts that don't pertain to my reply. I guess I've
> gotten a little over zealous.

No you haven't. Keep up the good work.

nb

Message has been deleted

Ward Abbott

Aug 21, 2007, 5:39:47 PM8/21/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.

The first thing that occured to me is.....DON'T PUT THE DAMN THINGS
IN!! You are allergic to them!!! And who needs a recipe for
fried rice.......

Default User

Aug 21, 2007, 5:50:11 PM8/21/07
Abe wrote:

> Okie Dokie. I guess I trim too much. I try to makes my posts as
> succinct as possible by removing blank lines, attribution lines, and

> parts of earlier posts that don't pertain to my reply. I guess I've
> gotten a little over zealous.

Most of that is a good idea, but not removing attributions. Obviously,
if you remove everything a person had contributed, then the attribution
line should go as well.

Brian

won't shut up.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:48:49 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:49 pm, Abe <no...@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >> I want to make real Chinese fried rice, not some way to "get rid of
> >> leftovers". I feel sad for the world if that's what fried rice has
> >> been reduced to..
>
> >Ask real Chinese people what fried rice is, and they'll say it is a way
> >to use up leftovers. Chinese people seldom eat fried rice, and
> >certainly wouldn't serve it to guests. Ask Chinese restaurant workers
> >in the US what fried rice is, and they'll say that it is something
> >served to round eyes.
>
> Ding ding ding. Correct answer.

Hilarious.. and let me guess, the restaurant is called Ho-Lee-Chow or
Man-Chu-Wok?

cybercat

Aug 21, 2007, 6:55:10 PM8/21/07

"ebrian" <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote

> Hilarious.. and let me guess, the restaurant is called Ho-Lee-Chow or
> Man-Chu-Wok?

Come on, man, it was a stupid question. Suck it up.

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:56:49 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 3:11 pm, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
<lonnicusuoTAKEME...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Little Malice" <Little.Mal...@gmail.communge> wrote in message
> > Jani in WA- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, I considered that as well, i'm allergic to chicken eggs.. or
probably poultry eggs. I've never had a problem with fish eggs..
probably has something to do with the make up of the protein. We had
a fairly long discussion here a few months ago about my (and others')
allergy.

ebrian

Aug 21, 2007, 6:58:54 PM8/21/07

I had a craving for it. Whenever we eat out everyone orders fried
rice but I can't have any because it's got eggs in it. Some people
here say there's no egg in their fried rice, at least in their areas
of restaurants.. I dunno, I've been avoiding egg-filled fried rice
here in Toronto for the last 29 years, I don't think I've ever seen
fried rice without egg in it, unless you order specifically to which
case most often you get a funny look and the waiter/waitress has to
run to the back to ask the manager if it's even possible.

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 21, 2007, 7:04:33 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 4:43 pm, Steve Wertz <swe...@cluemail.compost> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:53:31 -0700, Bobo Bonobo® wrote:
> > I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today. Why
> > can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with it, the
> > process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-
> > make it. I called their comments line. They're going to send me a
> > coupon for a free burger.
>
> McDonalds doesn't have a Comments Line. Or email.

Yes, they do: http://www.mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html

It's not exactly email, but it is a contact page.

> -sw

--Bryan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dan Abel

Aug 21, 2007, 7:44:23 PM8/21/07
In article <5qmmc3l17g685fhlf...@4ax.com>,
Ward Abbott <pre...@terian.com> wrote:

> And who needs a recipe for
> fried rice.......

Lots of people need recipes for very simple things. After they get more
experience, they will learn which recipes have to be followed exactly
(most baking) and which are pretty flexible (like fried rice).

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 21, 2007, 8:02:58 PM8/21/07
On Aug 21, 5:04 pm, "Randy Johnson" <bigeasy...@aol.com> wrote:

> On 21-Aug-2007, "Paul M. Cook" <pmBERMUDA_SHORTSc...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?
>
> > Paul
>
> 1 or more 1/4 frozen hamburger patties, depending on number of people being
> fed (usually 1 patty/person or 3 patties each if you are feeding frequent
> Hardee's customers)
> 1 1/4 inch thick slice Velveeta - the non-cheese - per cheeseburger without
> cheese
> onion slices, bacon slices, suet slices, tomato slices, lettuce, mustard,
> green/red/purple ketchup to taste
>
> Throw frozen burger patties on grill or in pan; cook 'til thawed, brown and
> no longer damp (the Velveeta will slide off if burger isn't dry). Drop on
> Velveeta slice, put the whole thing on bun bottom and serve with bun top and
> other stuff on the side. To dress it up a bit, add a couple sprigs of fresh
> parsley (not that flat-leaf stuff) to the plate; if fresh parsley is
> unavailable, grass clippings will work 'cause nobody eats the garnish
> anyway. Fries are too much trouble, serve Fritos (smothered in ketchup is
> good) or Ripple chips (mayo with Lipton dry soup mix is an easy dip).
>
> Bud Lite goes well with this, have a couple before starting to cook, a
> couple while cooking and several more with the meal and after (don't worry
> about doing the dishes, you can always throw out the paper plates tomorrow).
> For the kids, Yoohoo will give 'em more than caramel colored fizz-water.

Have you ever been told you have shitty taste?

--Bryan

Blinky the Shark

Aug 21, 2007, 8:12:20 PM8/21/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a recipe for this?
>
> These questions from Google Groups keep getting harder and
> harder. One day they're gonna post a trick question of some
> sort.

<AOL>

he he

</AOL> :)

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Blinky the Shark

Aug 21, 2007, 8:14:43 PM8/21/07
Omelet wrote:
> In article <vNmdnUzppqV2jFbb...@giganews.com>, Scott
> <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> > "Scott" <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?
>> >
>> > Paul
>> >

>> I need a recipe for a hamburger without the ham. I had at one time
>> but lost it. Can't find on google either.
>
> Y'all are being cruel now. ;-)

We'll each have one hamburer...but we're low-carbing so please hold our
buns..."

Blinky the Shark

Aug 21, 2007, 8:19:41 PM8/21/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:53:31 -0700, Bobo BonoboŽ wrote:
>
>> I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today.
>> Why can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with
>> it, the process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for
>> them to re- make it. I called their comments line. They're going
>> to send me a coupon for a free burger.
>
> McDonalds doesn't have a Comments Line. Or email.

US:

<q http://www.mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html>

There are three ways to share a comment, question, complaint or praise
with McDonald's.

Call us. Within the U.S., you can call us on our toll-free telephone
number at 1-800-244-6227.

Write us. Our U.S. corporate mailing address is: McDonald's Corporation
2111 McDonald's Dr Oak Brook, IL 60523

Email us. To send us an email, please choose the most appropriate
category below which describes the purpose of your message.

<snip>

</q>

Non-US contact info:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us/restaurant_visit_outside.html

Blinky the Shark

Aug 21, 2007, 8:26:50 PM8/21/07
Omelet wrote:
> In article <1187726161.2...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> > Eggs are most certainly not just a garnish, but one of the main
>> > ingredients after rice. Eggs is an *assumed* ingredient with
>> > chinese fried rice -- upon telling my fiancee I was planning to
>> > make fried rice tonight, she asked me what I was planning to eat
>> > for dinner.
>>
>> The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
>> more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.
>
> Not at MY house!!!
>

>> The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
>> not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
>> wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice
>> from the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken)
>> as ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do
>> not, especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
>> Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
>> they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
>> at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
>> dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
>> msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
>> (spicey).
>
> You must eat at different Chinese places than I do... But, we do live
> in different States (in more ways than one).

I sure don't have to ask my wait[er|ress] for those peanuts in my kung
pao chicken. And I'm speaking both in general and specifically of
today's lunch at the Joie Luck Kitchen.

Steve Pope

Aug 21, 2007, 8:39:01 PM8/21/07
Omelet wrote:

> Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

>> The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
>> not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
>> wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice
>> from the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken)
>> as ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do
>> not, especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.

> You must eat at different Chinese places than I do... But, we do live

> in different States (in more ways than one).

Sheldon did say "in Chinatowns". Restaurants there are different
from non-Chinatown, North-American Chinese restaurants. I'm
willing to believe egg is less common.

Steve

Becca

Aug 21, 2007, 8:44:48 PM8/21/07
Bobo BonoboŽ wrote:

> I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today. Why
> can't they get that right? I scraped the nasty mayo (and with it, the
> process cheese) off because I didn't have time to wait for them to re-
> make it. I called their comments line. They're going to send me a
> coupon for a free burger.
>
> --Bryan

Growing up in Texas, the local burger places would put mustard on their
hamburgers. Whataburger, a southern chain, is still that way. It
frustrates some of my northern friends who forget this when they place
their order. Some people think mustard on a burger is disgusting. I love it.

Becca

Message has been deleted

Becca

Aug 21, 2007, 8:54:19 PM8/21/07
Omelet wrote:

> That is the way I tend to treat Omelets. ;-)
>
> "Leftovers" Omelets are wonderful.
>
> Around here (south central Texas), mix with eggs and stuff into a flour
> tortilla for breakfast tacos, with a bit of added salsa.
>
> Leftovers, if treated properly, can be as big of a treat as the original
> meal.
>
> I may also use leftovers in green salads depending on what they are.

Last night I cooked fajitas for dinner, but I had leftover meat, onions
and peppers. This morning, it showed up in breakfast burritos. Delicious!

Becca

George

Aug 21, 2007, 9:04:12 PM8/21/07
Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 21, 3:58?pm, Omelet <omp_ome...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The main ingredient in fried rice is not rice, it's fat.... there are
>>> more fat calories than from all the other ingredients combined.
>> Not at MY house!!!
>
> Talkin' restaurants here... whoever told you Chinese restaurant food
> ain't fattening lied.. it's about the highest caloric content food on
> the planet, most of those calories from fat.

>>> The majority of Chinese restaurants in North American China Towns do
>>> not typically include eggs in their fried rice. They prepare a huge
>>> wokful of meatless fried rice base from the *leftover* plain rice from
>>> the previous day, and add various meats (pork, shrimp, chicken) as
>>> ordered. Some may include small bits of fried egg but most do not,
>>> especially not these days with all the clamor over allergies.
>>> Restaurants are in the business to make money by increasing sales,
>>> they are not going to purposely prepare foods that folks will balk
>>> at. Chinese restaurants don't automatically include nuts in their
>>> dishes anymore either, and most all have omitted or cut way back on
>>> msg, and virtually all prominently indicate which dishes are hot
>>> (spicey).
>> You must eat at different Chinese places than I do...
>> But, we do live in different States (in more ways than one).
>

> Odds are you don't have Chinese restaurants anywhere nearby... there
> are none within a hundred miles of where I live now either. And those
> take outs and buffets don't serve anything resembling North American
> China Town restaurant food.... every one I've ever been to serves
> fried rice more akin to Puerto Rican rice. Those take outs and
> buffets scattered about most every neighborhood serve Chinese food
> like Taco Bell serves Mexican food.
>
> Sheldon

I frequent the two in NYC and they definitely serve eggs in fried rice
and they don't omit nuts from those dishes that typically have them.

Ward Abbott

Aug 21, 2007, 9:15:03 PM8/21/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:44:48 -0500, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

>I ordered 2 low carb Thickburgers with NO ketchup, NO mayo today

I am glad that you did....you can you tie fried rice and thickburger
together in one complete thought?

Ward Abbott

Aug 21, 2007, 9:17:26 PM8/21/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:44:23 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:

>Lots of people need recipes for very simple things. After they get more
>experience, they will learn which recipes have to be followed exactly

THAT is almost hard to believe...since we have a abundant supply of
self proclaimed food experts that are willing to belittle anyone here
with an original though about food.

Ward Abbott

Aug 21, 2007, 9:19:42 PM8/21/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:58:54 -0700, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I dunno, I've been avoiding egg-filled fried rice
>here in Toronto for the last 29 years

I would bet a years salary that you have eaten more eggs in the past
29 years than you can imagine and didn't even know it.

Serene

Aug 21, 2007, 10:35:12 PM8/21/07
ebrian wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for this?

Just leave 'em out. I do it all the time. No big deal.

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't
go away." -- Phillip K. Dick

Serene

Aug 21, 2007, 10:36:32 PM8/21/07
Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Scott" <sws...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Steve Wertz wrote:

>>> These questions from Google Groups keep getting harder and
>>> harder. One day they're gonna post a trick question of some
>>> sort.
>>>
>>> -sw
>> And you thought my questions were hard...
>
> Anyone got a recipe for a cheeseburger but without cheese?

Yeah, but you seriously don't want to see it. When I make vegan
"cheese" stuff, my partners run in the opposite direction (I like
it, though, of course, or I wouldn't make it).

Serene

--
Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:

"It wasn't, he swore, that he picked up so many women.... It was
just that he never put any down." -- Lois McMaster Bujold,
Mirror Dance

Serene

Aug 21, 2007, 10:38:22 PM8/21/07
Becca wrote:

> Growing up in Texas, the local burger places would put mustard on their
> hamburgers. Whataburger, a southern chain, is still that way. It
> frustrates some of my northern friends who forget this when they place
> their order. Some people think mustard on a burger is disgusting. I love
> it.

Mustard on a hamburger's fine. Mayo is mandatory. Ketchup is an
abomination.

Kathleen

Aug 22, 2007, 12:41:42 AM8/22/07
Steve Wertz wrote:
> Well, I'll be. For the longest time they didn't have anything
> except, "Please call your local franchiser".
>
> This feature is relatively recent.

Calling your local franchiser is a damned good way to make a point. My
16 y.o. daughter works at a local McD's. They are expected to get the
orders right the first time.

By contrast we stopped at a local Hardee's for breakfast recently. The
person taking orders was chattering over her headset with another
employee. There were no utensils or napkins in the bag and one of the
two orders omitted a normal component (sausage).

The issues were corrected because I checked it before leaving the
parking lot, but my daughter commented that, "Steve (the McD's manager)
would have our asses on a platter if we were

(1) Yapping over the headset instead of paying attention to the customers
-or-
(2) Prepared food items incorrectly by omitting ingredient(s)
-or-
(3) Didn't include utensils, napkins or condiments.

Let alone all three at once...

As DD says, "For pete's sake, it's not rocket science. All you gotta do
is pay attention."

notbob

Aug 22, 2007, 1:18:30 AM8/22/07
On 2007-08-22, Kathleen <khhfmde...@charter.net> wrote:

> is pay attention."

Seemingly, a lost art. Yet, the little scoundrels can deftly txt msg
at least two people on their cell phone with one hand while
simultaneously rowing through a gigabyte of mp3 titles on their ipod
with the other. Now, if they could just channel that focus into their
job.

nb

Blinky the Shark

Aug 22, 2007, 1:22:05 AM8/22/07
Kathleen wrote:

> As DD says, "For pete's sake, it's not rocket science. All you gotta do
> is pay attention."

Donald Duck?

Gregory Morrow

Aug 22, 2007, 4:32:11 AM8/22/07
Little Malice wrote:

> One time on Usenet, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> said:
>

> > Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
> > rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>

> > I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
> > egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
> > did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
> > Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
> > delicious.
>

> The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...

The "roe" thing is kinda wierd...sounds more Japanese to me. Never
been to a Chinese place that serves roe but then I haven't been to
every Chinese place...

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Aug 22, 2007, 4:34:38 AM8/22/07
Scott wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:16:57 -0000, ebrian wrote:
>

> >> Does anyone have a recipe for this?
>

> > These questions from Google Groups keep getting harder and
> > harder. One day they're gonna post a trick question of some
> > sort.
>
> > -sw
>
> And you thought my questions were hard...

Nah, Sqwertz thought yer *penis* was hard...

Lol...

;-p

--
Best
Greg

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 22, 2007, 7:34:31 AM8/22/07
On Aug 21, 7:44 pm, Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

I'm not complaining that their standard procedure is to put on
disgusting mayo, only that when I repeatedly specified not to put it
on, they did anyway. I think that the chick taking the order was
high, stupid or both.

> Becca

--Bryan

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 22, 2007, 7:36:04 AM8/22/07
On Aug 22, 12:22 am, Blinky the Shark <no.s...@box.invalid> wrote:
> Kathleen wrote:
> > As DD says, "For pete's sake, it's not rocket science. All you gotta do
> > is pay attention."
>
> Donald Duck?

Mickey mouse!

> --
> Blinky

--Bryan

Phred

Aug 22, 2007, 7:44:27 AM8/22/07
In article <1187709417.3...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>
>I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
>egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
>did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
>Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
>delicious.

So it's only chook eggs you're allergic to, not fish eggs?

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerk...@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Bobo Bonobo®

Aug 22, 2007, 8:02:55 AM8/22/07
On Aug 21, 10:16 am, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>
> I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
> egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
> did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
> Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
> delicious.

Are you so allergic to egg whites that you cannot have yolks, even if
they are carefully separated? If so, bummer, but do you know that for
sure?

--Bryan

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ebrian

Aug 22, 2007, 9:36:49 AM8/22/07

You're probably right. My symptoms aren't too bad, I just prefer
avoiding them if possible. I have at times stupidly eating things I
knew had egg in them, whether it was some delicious looking dessert,
or a small piece of cake because I didn't want to be the only guy not
eating someone's b-day cake. It's never been worse than maybe 2-3
hours of sharp pain in the chest and itchy throat, usually if I take a
nap it makes it easier to ride it out.

..

Anyway, if anyone cares, my fried rice came out fine. My brother said
it tasted very different without eggs, but otherwise it was okay.

I cooked rice hours before, let it cool and put it in the fridge.
Boiled some frozen veggies for color, and cut thin slices of chinese
sausage [xiang chung]. Seasoned the whole thing with sesame oil,
peanut sauce [sa cha jung], soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Sorry my
pinyin is awful. To add a little kick I put some sriracha.

Two things I regret not having, some homemade bbq pork [char siu],
chinese mushrooms [dong gu] and shrimp. Maybe next time..

Becca

Aug 22, 2007, 10:10:56 AM8/22/07
Serene wrote:

> Mustard on a hamburger's fine. Mayo is mandatory. Ketchup is an
> abomination.
>
> Serene

Agreeing with you 100%, and wishing I had cheeseburgers more often.

Becca

Becca

Aug 22, 2007, 10:11:01 AM8/22/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:44:48 -0500, Becca wrote:
>
>> Growing up in Texas, the local burger places would put mustard on their
>> hamburgers. Whataburger, a southern chain, is still that way. It
>> frustrates some of my northern friends who forget this when they place
>> their order. Some people think mustard on a burger is disgusting. I love it.
>
> McD's puts mustard on their hamburgers and cheeseburgers.
>
> -sw

From what I hear, they put ketchup on them, too.

Becca

Message has been deleted

Goomba38

Aug 22, 2007, 10:23:16 AM8/22/07
I bet he has too. I find some people's food intolerances to sometimes
border the neurotic.
Message has been deleted

aman...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2007, 11:15:59 AM8/22/07
Hey can you share the recipe you decided on? Except for 2 times, I
never used any recipes. The second time I uesd a recipe was frn the
instruction of a seasoning package, a product of Thailand. W/o MSG.
Tasty. But, I don't want to rely on theses seasoning packages.

So, will you share if you find something that works and gives
restaurant flavor?

George

Aug 22, 2007, 11:25:41 AM8/22/07
Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:21:17 -0700, Sheldon wrote:
>
>> Odds are you don't have Chinese restaurants anywhere nearby... there
>> are none within a hundred miles of where I live now either. And those
>> take outs and buffets don't serve anything resembling North American
>> China Town restaurant food.... every one I've ever been to serves
>> fried rice more akin to Puerto Rican rice. Those take outs and
>> buffets scattered about most every neighborhood serve Chinese food
>> like Taco Bell serves Mexican food.
>
> I take it you don't get out much. Every city I've been in has at
> least a few real Asian restaurants to choose from.
>
> -sw

For sure, if you just head out to the mall you will find lame industrial
restaurants but there are good ones if you look. In my area there is a
small family run place a few towns over. They came here via NYC
Chinatown and do a really good job.

Omelet

Aug 22, 2007, 12:05:55 PM8/22/07
In article <5j1fogF...@mid.individual.net>,
Becca <be...@hal-pc.org> wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > That is the way I tend to treat Omelets. ;-)
> >
> > "Leftovers" Omelets are wonderful.
> >
> > Around here (south central Texas), mix with eggs and stuff into a flour
> > tortilla for breakfast tacos, with a bit of added salsa.
> >
> > Leftovers, if treated properly, can be as big of a treat as the original
> > meal.
> >
> > I may also use leftovers in green salads depending on what they are.
>
> Last night I cooked fajitas for dinner, but I had leftover meat, onions
> and peppers. This morning, it showed up in breakfast burritos. Delicious!
>
> Becca

<lol> I do SO know what you mean!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Kathleen

Aug 22, 2007, 12:45:48 PM8/22/07
Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Kathleen wrote:
>

>>As DD says, "For pete's sake, it's not rocket science. All you gotta do
>>is pay attention."
>

> Donald Duck?

Darlin' Daughter. Or Demonic Destructor. She's 16, need I say more?

blake murphy

Aug 22, 2007, 1:46:55 PM8/22/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:17:26 -0400, Ward Abbott <pre...@terian.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:44:23 -0700, Dan Abel <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>Lots of people need recipes for very simple things. After they get more
>>experience, they will learn which recipes have to be followed exactly
>
>THAT is almost hard to believe...since we have a abundant supply of
>self proclaimed food experts that are willing to belittle anyone here
>with an original though about food.

yeah, we need more supportive people like you, ward.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Aug 22, 2007, 1:54:35 PM8/22/07
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:28:42 GMT, Little...@gmail.communge (Little
Malice) wrote:

>One time on Usenet, ebrian <ebr...@gmail.com> said:
>

>> Does anyone have a recipe for this? Seems like every recipe for fried
>> rice I can find asks for 2-3 whole eggs, which I am allergic to.
>>
>> I once went to a Chinese restaurant and asked for fried rice with no
>> egg, the waitress looked at me like I was from another planet. She
>> did write it down though, and 15 minutes later, sure enough it came.
>> Instead of scrambled eggs, they put roe, and it was surprisingly
>> delicious.
>

>The eggs are not essential to the dish, just leave them out...

i guess i make my fried rice differently from most of the posters so
far. in mine, the eggs are not a garnish or separate ingredient, but
are mixed with the soy and other spices with a view towards coating
the rice (and meat and vegetables). it is added last.

so, little help to you, ebrian, i'm afraid.

your pal,
blake

kilikini

Aug 22, 2007, 2:05:14 PM8/22/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:38:22 -0700, Serene wrote:
>
>> Mustard on a hamburger's fine. Mayo is mandatory. Ketchup is an
>> abomination.
>
> In your opinion. I *have* to have ketchup on my burgers. And
> then an extra pile of ketchup to dunk it in. Mayo is optional.
>
> -sw

I like ketchup on my burgers, too. Sometimes, instead of ketchup, I use BBQ
sauce. But Mayo? Mayo isn't an option. <shudder>

kili

kilikini

Aug 22, 2007, 2:13:46 PM8/22/07
Steve Wertz wrote:

> I take it you don't get out much. Every city I've been in has at
> least a few real Asian restaurants to choose from.
>
> -sw

I dare you to come to Zephyrhills, explore a bit, and then make that
statement. :~) Oh, we have a couple of nasty Chinese buffet restaurants
that even include pizza on the menu, but I wouldn't call them "real".

Tampa, however, I'm sure has a few authentic Asian restaurants. But, in
reality, when I'm in the mood to eat, I generally don't feel like driving an
hour or more to go get some decent grub. I'd rather make it at home.

kili

kilikini

Aug 22, 2007, 2:22:27 PM8/22/07
blake murphy wrote:

> i guess i make my fried rice differently from most of the posters so
> far. in mine, the eggs are not a garnish or separate ingredient, but
> are mixed with the soy and other spices with a view towards coating
> the rice (and meat and vegetables). it is added last.
>
> so, little help to you, ebrian, i'm afraid.

That's how I make mine, too, Blake - eggs and shoyu at the end of the cook.
But, I, like ebrian, am allergic to eggs. Sometimes, I just have to have my
fried rice, though, and I suffer the consequences. I suffer as well when I
eat my homemade egg foo yung. I love eggs, too! <sniffle, sniffle>

kili

ebrian

Aug 22, 2007, 3:43:41 PM8/22/07

You're crazy kili.. not that I don't do the same thing.

We have this promotion in the summer time called "Summerlicious",
where the top restaurants in the city (Toronto) create a 'special'
menu with a lower set price. Anyway, for dessert this one place had 3
desserts to choose from for the promotion, so I asked them which one
had eggs. The waiter said all of them. So then I asked him which one
had the *least* amount of egg...

Peter A

Aug 22, 2007, 3:47:20 PM8/22/07
In article <46cc7adc$0$31892$4c36...@roadrunner.com>, kilikini1
@NOSPAMhotmail.com says...

> I like ketchup on my burgers, too. Sometimes, instead of ketchup, I use BBQ
> sauce. But Mayo? Mayo isn't an option. <shudder>

Burgers are one of very few things I put ketchup on. I'll add some
mustard too sometimes, particularly on a cheeseburger. And if there's a
slice of tomato, some mayo on that.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter A

Aug 22, 2007, 3:50:10 PM8/22/07
In article <1187789809....@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
ebr...@gmail.com says...

> You're probably right. My symptoms aren't too bad, I just prefer
> avoiding them if possible. I have at times stupidly eating things I
> knew had egg in them, whether it was some delicious looking dessert,
> or a small piece of cake because I didn't want to be the only guy not
> eating someone's b-day cake. It's never been worse than maybe 2-3
> hours of sharp pain in the chest and itchy throat, usually if I take a
> nap it makes it easier to ride it out.

You may already know this, but if it's a real allergy and not just a
"sensitivity" then repeatedly exposing yourself to the antigen (the
eggs) can continue to make the allergy worse. Then one day you eat some
egg and croak. Worst case scenario, to be sure, but still....

--
Peter Aitken

Peter A

Aug 22, 2007, 3:51:50 PM8/22/07
In article <5j2ue4F...@mid.individual.net>, be...@hal-pc.org
says...

Next I'll hear that you put ketchup on hot dogs <g>.

--
Peter Aitken

ebrian

Aug 22, 2007, 3:51:54 PM8/22/07

To be honest I rarely use recipes too, but I like to look over them to
give me ideas as to how to make what I want to make. I was hoping
someone here could give me some ideas how to replace egg, as opposed
to simply omitting them from the dish.

Based on some advice I read earlier from this newsgroup about using
day-old rice, I did that. Then I ended up just putting ingredients
I've seen in fried rice that I have seen at restaurants.

I added carrots (tiny squares), added peas and corn (peaches and
cream). For meat, I added thin slices of chinese sausage [xiang
chung] or [lap chung]. Seasoned the whole thing with sesame oil,
peanut sauce [sa cha jung], soy sauce and hoisin sauce. To add a

little kick I put some sriracha.

Two things I regret not having, some homemade bbq pork [char siu],

chinese mushrooms [dong gu] and shrimp. BBQ pork takes a bit of time
to make though, unless you go out and buy the stuff but I prefer
making it myself.

Maybe next time..

(I apologize, my pinyin is awful)

kilikini

Aug 22, 2007, 3:54:58 PM8/22/07

I know the drill. But sometimes, you've just got to have it! Sigh.

kili

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

George

Aug 22, 2007, 4:43:55 PM8/22/07
Sheldon wrote:
> On Aug 21, 3:34?pm, Little.Mal...@gmail.communge (Little Malice)
> wrote:
>> One time on Usenet, Peter A <pait...@CRAPnc.rr.com> said:
>>

>>> In article <fafasq$40f2_...@news.avvanta.com>,
>>> Little.Mal...@gmail.communge says...

>>> You can also throw in some fried tofu (age, pronounced ah-gay) which has
>>> a consistency similar to eggs.
>> Good idea -- I should have thought of that...
>
> Why?
>
> I've eaten at every China Town in the US and Canada, never seen tofo
> in fried rice... in fact tofu is not a common ingredient on their
> menus, very few dishes contain tofu and in those few dishes it's added
> in minute quantites.

Really? You need to stop into that restaurant on Mott St where
practically every dish on the menu has tofu and tell them what they are
doing is unusual. Next stop at the restaurant around the corner
(Chrystie St?) and look at all of the pressed tofu salads they have on
the menu. Then stop over at the tofu shop around the corner where they
sell tons of it and ask everyone what they are doing with it.

Go out to Flushing and you will find the same with an added feature.
Stinky tofu (along with other versions) is quite popular in Taiwan and
The Flushing Chinatown has a high percentage of Taiwanese so there are a
number of vendors selling it.

I don't think I have ever been in a restaurant in Chinatown that didn't
have tofu on the menu.

In case you've never noticed very very few
> Chinese people eat at the places that cater to round eyes. Few round
> eyes will eat tofu, it would get scraped to the edge of the dish and
> left there... they are not going to waste ingredients that round eyes
> typically won't eat. If you want authentic Chinese food then
> patronize those Chinese eateries where the Chinese people eat...
> hopefully you are fluent in the various dialects... and be prepared to
> be disgusted by a lot of the viands that arrive. Btw, they don't eat
> fly lice, won't be on their menu.

George

Aug 22, 2007, 4:45:12 PM8/22/07
kilikini wrote:

>> You're crazy kili.. not that I don't do the same thing.
>>
>> We have this promotion in the summer time called "Summerlicious",
>> where the top restaurants in the city (Toronto) create a 'special'
>> menu with a lower set price. Anyway, for dessert this one place had 3
>> desserts to choose from for the promotion, so I asked them which one
>> had eggs. The waiter said all of them. So then I asked him which one
>> had the *least* amount of egg...
>
> I know the drill. But sometimes, you've just got to have it! Sigh.
>
> kili

My friend is like that with shrimp. She keeps the benadryl handy and
enjoys the shrimp.

George

Aug 22, 2007, 4:47:51 PM8/22/07

I was trying to explain that to a friend this weekend. He has a so far
unknown
allergy. The allergist prescribed spring loaded epi pens as a precaution
but he
didn't get them. I carefully described that he may wish he had them in
his pocket someday.

It is loading more messages.