Orange Uses

1 view

The Ranger

Dec 1, 2002, 2:44:16 PM12/1/02
The Gahd of Orange Trees (Orangaticus Loki) was generous, in his own impish
way, with Clan Ranger's single orange tree. We've got a bumper crop of HUGE
[40 count] juice oranges and it looks like the bees that normally pollinate
this tree might actually have found a fellow neighbor's orange tree rather
than their regular grapefruit and lemon tree haunts.

I've already got seven Ziploc(tm) bags of cubed OJ. I've shared the wealth
of two grocery bags with every neighbor that isn't quick enough to walk
inside and barricade their doors.

I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that others have
used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?

Many thanks and I look forward to reading some of the ideas.

The Ranger

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Dec 1, 2002, 2:03:18 PM12/1/02

"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
> growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that others
have
> used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?
>
> Many thanks and I look forward to reading some of the ideas.
>
> The Ranger

I would make some candied orange peel that I would then use to make
florentine cookies. Mmmm.

Or cut off the top of an orange, scoop out the flesh, then fill the 'cup'
with orange sherbet, put the lid back on, and freeze. It should keep for
awhile.

rona

---

Damsel in dis Dress

Dec 1, 2002, 2:32:06 PM12/1/02
On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:44:16 -0800, "The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
>growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that others have
>used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?

Cut some of them into thin slices, then dehydrate and use as accents in
homemade Christmas wreaths. You can even hang a few from the Christmas
tree. The lights glow through the fruit. (My sister does this. If you're
interested, I'll try to track her down and see if she does anything else to
the slices.)

Stud the entire outside surface of an orange with whole cloves, and allow
to dry naturally. You can put out a bowlful of these as decorative
potpourri. Not sure if these would be lightweight enough for Christmas
tree decorations or not.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Dreamy Orange Chicken

Recipe By :Damsel in dis Dress
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : chicken

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves -- trimmed
8 slices peeled oranges -- 1/4" thick
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and white pepper -- to taste
cayenne pepper -- to taste

Preheat oven to 250F.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken
breasts and saute until golden, about 3-4 minutes per side.

Add the orange slices and saute for a few minutes on each side. Remove
from the pan and set aside. Add the orange juice and zest to the chicken;
mix thoroughly. Continue cooking until the chicken breasts are tender,
about 8-9 minutes. Remove chicken to a baking pan, cover, and place in the
oven to keep warm.

Add the cream to the skillet and heat to boiling over high heat. Boil for
2-3 minutes, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add salt and white pepper to
taste. Pour cream sauce into a gravy boat for serving.

Serve the chicken breasts with two sauteed orange slices on each piece.
Pour cream sauce over the top, then sprinkle with cayenne pepper to taste.

Source:
"adapted from a recipe by Williams-Sonoma"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY
United States:

ConnieG999

Dec 1, 2002, 2:53:27 PM12/1/02
"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> writes:

>Other recipes or ideas that others have
>used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?

Candied orange peel.
Orange juice, frozen.
Cook a pork roast in orange juice with orange slices and onion.
Orange marmalade.
Citrus vinaigrette.
"Ambrosia" type fruit salad.
Cranberry-orange bread.
cranberry orange relish.
Orange glaze for orange poundcake or angel-food cake.
Honey-citrus glaze for ham, ribs, or chicken.
Spinach/orange salad.

Connie
Darn right I'm good in bed. I can sleep for days!

Nancy Young

Dec 1, 2002, 3:21:58 PM12/1/02

Do you live near a soup kitchen/food bank? Don't know if you'd be
interested, but maybe they could use them.

nancy

Jill McQuown

Dec 1, 2002, 3:59:32 PM12/1/02
"Damsel in dis Dress" <damsel-in...@att.net.invalid> wrote in message

> On Sun, 1 Dec 2002 11:44:16 -0800, "The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
> >growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that others
have
> >used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?
>
> Cut some of them into thin slices, then dehydrate and use as accents in
> homemade Christmas wreaths. You can even hang a few from the Christmas
> tree. The lights glow through the fruit. (My sister does this. If
you're
> interested, I'll try to track her down and see if she does anything else
> the slices.)
>
> Stud the entire outside surface of an orange with whole cloves, and allow
> to dry naturally. You can put out a bowlful of these as decorative
> potpourri. Not sure if these would be lightweight enough for Christmas
> tree decorations or not.

Along that note, they are nice to hang in closets. Wrap some ribbons around
the clove-studded orange to support it and tie it off in a loop at the top.
Then hang it from a hook on the wall. It's very nice to open the closet and
smell oranges and cloves :-)

Jill

Jill McQuown

Dec 1, 2002, 4:03:01 PM12/1/02
"Nancy Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

> The Ranger wrote:
> >
> > The Gahd of Orange Trees (Orangaticus Loki) was generous, in his own
impish
> > way, with Clan Ranger's single orange tree. We've got a bumper crop of
HUGE
> > [40 count] juice oranges and it looks like the bees that normally
pollinate
> > this tree might actually have found a fellow neighbor's orange tree
rather
> > than their regular grapefruit and lemon tree haunts.
> >
> > Many thanks and I look forward to reading some of the ideas.
> >
> > The Ranger
>
> Do you live near a soup kitchen/food bank? Don't know if you'd be
> interested, but maybe they could use them.
>
> nancy

Thanks, Nancy! I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet a soup kitchen or a
mission for the homeless would be thrilled to get oranges for fresh squeezed
OJ. And if the food bank can handle fresh produce I'm sure they would be
happy to get them.

Jill

Jill McQuown

Dec 1, 2002, 5:24:36 PM12/1/02
"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Gahd of Orange Trees (Orangaticus Loki) was generous, in his own
impish
> way, with Clan Ranger's single orange tree. > Many thanks and I look

forward to reading some of the ideas.

> The Ranger

Well here's a fruity idea! I got these wrought iron decorating thingeys
(two, actually, one holds a 25 inch wreath) that has places for fruit and
gourds and such for decorating. Can't think of a better way to use up some
oranges. I ordered them from the Colonial Williamsburg catalog.

I'll send you a pic, if you'd like, of the one I hung on the back patio
gate.

Jill

Stace

Dec 1, 2002, 6:33:29 PM12/1/02

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Along that note, they are nice to hang in closets. Wrap some ribbons
around
> the clove-studded orange to support it and tie it off in a loop at the
top.
> Then hang it from a hook on the wall. It's very nice to open the closet
and
> smell oranges and cloves :-)
>
> Jill

Just to reiterate, you do indeed want to put these on the *wall*!!!!!
I found out the hard way that the oil will get onto your clothing, and can
be extremely difficult
if not impossible to remove, depending on how long the article of clothing
hangs there before you
discover it.
:-D

Stace

SWIBIRUN

Dec 1, 2002, 8:48:19 PM12/1/02
This won't use up a lot of your oranges but these were one of my childhood
favorites:

Orange Cupcakes

1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp soda

Sift salt, soda and flour. Cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs and mix well
after each. Add buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately. Bake at 350 for
fifteen minutes.

Orange Sauce

Juice and rind of two oranges
1 cup sugar

Mix grated rind with sugar before adding juice. Heat well over low heat and
spoon over cakes.

Ricky

Dec 2, 2002, 12:06:10 AM12/2/02

o! o!
Saw this on Martha Stewart: candied orange slices.

Use a mandolin to slice oranges really thinly (you don't have to peel
them). Lay the slices on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and
sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 1 hour at 250F (the idea is to dry the
oranges, not really cook them). Flip, and sprinkle sugar, and back in
the oven for another 30-60 minutes, until crispy. Store in zip-lock
bags. Should keep for a while.

While we are at it, why not marmalade?

Victor Sack

Dec 2, 2002, 1:12:16 AM12/2/02
The Ranger <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
> growing sick of l'orange everything.

Here is a recipe for Spicy Carrot and Orange Soup and one for Crème à
l'orange. I wouldn't grow sick of them, especially not of the soup.
They are respectively from _Twelve Months of Monastery Soups_ by Brother
Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette and from _A Book of Mediterranean
Food_ by Elizabeth David.

Victor

Spicy Carrot and Orange Soup
6 servings

6 tablespoons olive oil
2 leeks (white part only), finely chopped
12 carrots, peeled and chopped
6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon paprika
pinch each cayenne and ginger
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
rind of 1 orange
1 1/2 cups orange juice
salt and pepper to taste
6 thin orange slices as garnish

1. Pour the oil into a good-sized soup pot and gently sauté the leeks
for about 2 minutes with the pot covered. Add the chopped carrots, stir
well, cover the pot, and continue cooking for about 4 to 5 minutes over
low heat.

2. Uncover the pot, stir once more, and add the stock, nutmeg, paprika,
cayenne, ginger, cilantro, orange rind, orange juice, salt, and pepper
to taste. Bring the soup to a boil. Cover the pot and let the soup
simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.

3. Allow the soup to cook and then pass it through a sieve or blend in
a blender or food processor. This soup can be refrigerated for a few
hours and served cold, or if you decide to serve it hot, reheat it just
before serving and let the soup stand for 3 minutes. Garnish the soup
with thin orange slices at the center or each serving.

Crème à l'orange

5 oranges
1 lemon
4 oz white sugar
the yolks of 4 eggs
a little orange liqueur (cointreau, Grand Marnier or orange curaçao) or
sweet dessert wine

Put the strained juice (there should be approximately a half pint) of
the oranges and the lemon together in a saucepan with the well-whisked
yolks and the sugar. Heat gently, stirring constantly, as for a sauce
or custard. The mixture takes some time to thicken, and is ready when
it starts to adhere to the sides of the pan, although it never thickens
sufficiently to coat the spoon. Take the pan from the heat and stir the
cream until it is cool. By this time it will have thickened
perceptibly.

Pour the cream into 4 custard cups or glasses, and leave them overnight
in the refrigerator. Do not attempt to turn these creams out or to
decorate them with whipped cream. They are intended to be just
sufficiently set to be eaten with a spoon and should be accompanied by
sponge fingers, soft honey cake, or almond biscuits.

hahabogus

Dec 2, 2002, 4:46:52 AM12/2/02
sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote in

> The Ranger <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
>> growing sick of l'orange everything.
>
> Here is a recipe for Spicy Carrot and Orange Soup and one for Crème à
> l'orange. I wouldn't grow sick of them, especially not of the soup.
> They are respectively from _Twelve Months of Monastery Soups_ by Brother
> Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette and from _A Book of Mediterranean
> Food_ by Elizabeth David.
>
> Victor
>

> Crème à l'orange
>
> 5 oranges
> 1 lemon
> 4 oz white sugar
> the yolks of 4 eggs
> a little orange liqueur (cointreau, Grand Marnier or orange curaçao) or
> sweet dessert wine
>
> Put the strained juice (there should be approximately a half pint) of
> the oranges and the lemon together in a saucepan with the well-whisked
> yolks and the sugar. Heat gently, stirring constantly, as for a sauce
> or custard. The mixture takes some time to thicken, and is ready when
> it starts to adhere to the sides of the pan, although it never thickens
> sufficiently to coat the spoon. Take the pan from the heat and stir the
> cream until it is cool. By this time it will have thickened
> perceptibly.
>
> Pour the cream into 4 custard cups or glasses, and leave them overnight
> in the refrigerator. Do not attempt to turn these creams out or to
> decorate them with whipped cream. They are intended to be just
> sufficiently set to be eaten with a spoon and should be accompanied by
> sponge fingers, soft honey cake, or almond biscuits.

How much cream in the Crème à l'orange?

--

Defender of the Beet.

silvasurfa

Dec 2, 2002, 8:47:42 AM12/2/02

"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I take bags of produce to my kids' childcare when I have a glut.

I also find that if I take them to work and leave them in the lunchroom
labelled "free" they go quick too. You could also leave a platter of orange
wedges out at work for people to eat.

You could consider juicing the oranges and taking the juice to any family
functions etc you attend.

I have in the past eaten dehydrated mandarin slices and they were very nice.
Don't know how orange would fare.

Melba's Jammin'

Dec 2, 2002, 9:34:55 AM12/2/02
In article <asdlag$qhbdc$1...@ID-61173.news.dfncis.de>, "The Ranger"
<cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've already got seven Ziploc(tm) bags of cubed OJ. I've shared the
> wealth of two grocery bags with every neighbor that isn't quick
> enough to walk inside and barricade their doors.
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
> growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that
> others have used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?
>
> Many thanks and I look forward to reading some of the ideas.

> The Ranger

Send 'em to me! I'm envious of backyard citrus fruits!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
St. Pectina of Jella (HOSSSPoJ)

Jeanette S.

Dec 2, 2002, 11:25:27 AM12/2/02
n...@applicable.com (hahabogus)

No dairy cream in it. The writer is decribing how the creme orange
custard looks after it is cooked. Jeanette

Dimitri

Dec 2, 2002, 1:25:21 PM12/2/02

"The Ranger" <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Aside from the gazillion recipes using the juice - make your own dried
orange zest - both in strips and grated. then dry on parchment paper in a
very slow oven.

Not to mention

CANDIED BITTERSWEET ORANGE PEEL

3 lg. oranges (about 2 1/4 lbs.)
3/4 c. water
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
2 3/4 c. sugar

Cut the peel on each orange into quarters, then remove peel in sections (or
use the peel halves from juiced oranges). Slice peel into 1/4 inch wide
slices. Place orange peels in a medium size non-aluminum saucepan with
enough water to cover. Bring to boiling and cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
Drain the peels in a colander. Boil water, syrup and 2 cups sugar, stirring
until dissolved. Add peels. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 35 to 55
minutes until translucent and tender. Remove peels with slotted spoon to
large rack placed over baking pan. Let drain 5 minutes. Separate peels.
Dry until tacky, about 1 hour. Place the remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large
bowl. Add the peels and toss until they are evenly coated with the sugar.
Transfer sugar-coated peels to racks to air-dry, about 2 hours. Store peels
in an airtight container for up to 1 month (or bag and freeze).

Enjoy,

Dimitri

hahabogus

Dec 2, 2002, 5:56:25 PM12/2/02
jm...@webtv.net (Jeanette S.) wrote in news:14386-3DEB8977-327@storefull-
2318.public.lawson.webtv.net:

then why does it say

Take the pan from the heat and stir the
cream until it is cool. By this time it will have thickened
perceptibly.

Pour the cream into 4 custard cups or glasses, and leave them overnight"

in the directions?

Puester

Dec 2, 2002, 9:45:27 PM12/2/02
hahabogus wrote:

> > No dairy cream in it. The writer is decribing how the creme orange
> > custard looks after it is cooked. Jeanette
> >

> then why does it say
>
> Take the pan from the heat and stir the
> cream until it is cool. By this time it will have thickened
> perceptibly.
>
> Pour the cream into 4 custard cups or glasses, and leave them overnight"
>
> in the directions?

The cream IS the pudding.

gloria p

Victor Sack

Dec 3, 2002, 12:38:16 AM12/3/02
hahabogus <n...@applicable.com> wrote:

> sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
> >
> > Crème à l'orange
> >
> > 5 oranges
> > 1 lemon
> > 4 oz white sugar
> > the yolks of 4 eggs
> > a little orange liqueur (cointreau, Grand Marnier or orange curaçao) or
> > sweet dessert wine
>

> How much cream in the Crème à l'orange?

None at all if you mean dairy. The concoction's consistency is
cream-like... that's what the recipe refers to.

Victor

Valerie Stark

Dec 3, 2002, 9:32:24 PM12/3/02
Hey, Ranger,

Your email bounces. I'm fairly local to you - are you still getting rid
of excess oranges? I'd be glad to get some.

Valerie

The Ranger

Dec 4, 2002, 12:37:13 AM12/4/02
Valerie Stark asked:

> Your email bounces. I'm fairly local to you - are you still getting
> rid of excess oranges? I'd be glad to get some.

Oh... Bother.

Remove a single "_" in the address.

The "Too Clever at Times" Ranger

Sheryl Rosen

Dec 4, 2002, 11:52:05 AM12/4/02
in article barbschaller-D401...@News.CIS.DFN.DE, Melba's
Jammin' at barbsc...@earthlink.net wrote on 12/2/02 9:34 AM:

> In article <asdlag$qhbdc$1...@ID-61173.news.dfncis.de>, "The Ranger"
> <cuhula...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I've already got seven Ziploc(tm) bags of cubed OJ. I've shared the
>> wealth of two grocery bags with every neighbor that isn't quick
>> enough to walk inside and barricade their doors.
>>
>> I'm looking for alternatives to saving and/or using the fruit without
>> growing sick of l'orange everything. Other recipes or ideas that
>> others have used when their trees are over-abundant in the harvest?
>>
>> Many thanks and I look forward to reading some of the ideas.
>

>> The Ranger
>
> Send 'em to me! I'm envious of backyard citrus fruits!

I picked an orange off my brother's backyard tree the other day, (he lives
in Florida) cut into it, expecting the spicy sweetness of the Florida
oranges I'm used to getting in CT. It obviously wasn't ripe yet, because
even though it was orange in color, it tasted more like a lemon than
anything else. Can you say SOUR???? ICK!!!

I bought a few oranges in the grocery store there, and again, not impressed.
My friend and my brother both agreed, they send the GOOD oranges up north
and keep the so-so ones down there for themselves.

I'll stick to the oranges I get here in blustery CT!