More Neither Contra or Square

Dudley Laufman

Feb 21, 2004, 10:03:34 AM2/21/04
Herewith some more dances that are not contras of the duple sort, nor
squares of the four couple kind, (even though kids still call 'em square
dances). Please check out my previous post for background on dances of this
nature.

THE RIBBON DANCE. Long lines for as many as will fit. Each couple has a
ribbon held between them in one hand or the other. Do not let go of ribbon
during the dance. Any reel or 2/4 tune will do. Everyone go forward
toward partner and back/ Forward again and change places/ Repeat all that
back to place. All swing partners w/out letting go of ribbon. All make a
bridge, top couple pass through to stay at bottom. It is possible to do
this dance on the phrase, but don't become glued to that. It is such a
pretty tune, it really does not matter what part of the dance is done to
what.

Being seasonable rather than reasonable, we only do this dance three or four
weeks either side of the winter solstice. We use red and green ribbons, each
one an inch wide and about 16" long. We use the French carol, Ding Dong
Merrily On High. There are several versions of this dance. We do the above
at most parties, but at "contra dances" we do a phrased version that fits
into 32 meas of music. Even then, a few hard core dancers will siddown,
there being no partner-neighbor swing. Too bad. Ernie Spence will travel
100 miles in a raging blizzrd to dance this dance every year in Carlisle.
Dancing is difficult for him now, but he still attends and likes to see the
Dreaded Ribbon Dance.

OPERA REEL. Long lines. Any reel is ok. Opera Reel is best.
Top couple chasse down while everyone clap. Next couple chasse down. All
swing partners. Both couples that went down, come back up, separate and go
down the outside to stay at bottom, while everyone else move up, and new top
couple get ready to chasse.

This dance is sometimes called The Celebrated Opera Reel, and there is a
phrased whole set version from Vermont.

THE OLD REEL (Le Reel Des Vieux). Long lines. Any reel. All forward
towards partner and back. Top couple chasse to foot while all clap.
Continue til all have had chance to chasse. Then all swing partners.
Finish with bridges and everyone going under in turn.

Dudley Laufman, Canterbury, NH

--
Next public dance: