MWSD/contra dancing

Don Ward

May 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/28/95

This is in response to Joel Breazeale and open to all interested contra
leaders and dancers.

Many in the "traditional contra world" see MWSD contra with a lack of how
it currently "divided". Within the MWSD or "Club Square Dance" world
there are 2 major fractions. One is most often refered to as "Club
Contra". In this group we, as in "Club Squares" use recorded music with
an occasional Live music dance I put on. We use traditional as well as
contemporary figures using such movements as "Flutterwheel", Pass the
Ocean, Trade the Wave, Tag the Line, Swing thru, Square thru, wheel &
deal, etc that are part of todays "
club Squae Dance. These are called mostly to square dance singing calls
with some Irish/Scottish music. There is kind of a link to the
"traditional" (CDSS) dancers in that traditional timing is a part of the
mix. There are very few of us who stray to far into the Traditional camp
in the use of a "Gypsy" etc. more on this in group 2.
You must remember that most "Club Contra" dancers are recruted from the
club square dance world, so we link ourselves very closely to that music
and movements.
The 2nd division in "club Contra" is called "Western Contra" this phrase
was coined by Hal Rice many years ago and his part of this movment
stresses that square dance movement timing must be used and all movements
fit within the phrase of the music. A typical example is circle left
requires 12 counts. By square dance timing, one step to each beat, 8
counts only takes you 3/4 the way around. That square dance terms be used
exclusively, i.e "if you call for a circle once around in 8 or use a
gypsy this is not "Western Contra".
To be sure this division has caused riffs within the Club Contra movement.

As to walk throughs, it is common in the club square dance world that
walk thrus are not used to any extent outside beginners classes. You are
supposed to be able to respon on command to any of the 50 or so basic
movements with instant recall. Who needs walk thrus? we call all do this!
This mentality carries over into the club contra in many areas. I however
believe that the walkthru is a great floor leveler, everyone begins the
dance on equal ground, this is true for all but the most generic dances.

What about new movements...I look at this from two worlds. As many of you
know I call, write and record in the club world while at the same time I
am involved and dance every opportunity I can in the traditional/zesty
world.I even use live music from this world at my live music dances.
New movements are not destructive in themselves. The key is does the
movement naturally flow as part of the total sequence. In using a given
figure I must first be convinced it accomplishes something that withing a
given amount of music cant be done any other way. Am I n the right
position at the right time and do I end likewise ready for the following
movement. If this is not the case then we are in the same place Club
squares were 30 years ago. Movement for movement sake only makes the
dance form more complicated. We all know the more complicated we can make
it the more need there is for class which guarantees the need for
callers,et al.
As to the question "is MWSD contra open to the public? Yes and no,
sometimes. I have just finished a three week "Introduction to Contra
Dancing" it was designed for any one, square dancer or non dancer.
Walkthrus were the game plan. Moderate success was achieved in getting
people ready to join a Contra Club if they wanted. Notice at this point
they had to be prepared to join the club. You do not walk off the street
onto the floor. Another very important element to the preservation of the
traditional (CDSS) dance.
Yes there is some internal convulsions within the "club Contra" world.
Their are those who cling to contra of 20-30 years ago. The Western
Contra element and a few of use who look at the fun of dancing "contra"
(contrary). My nck my be on the block more than others in the "club"
world because of my stance of taking the best elements of all forms and
using all these tools to create a local dance tomeet the local dancers
abilities and wishes. Wishes are easily read, The more people who pay
their money at the door and keepcoming back for more is a pretty accurate
indicator. I currently call 4 contra dances a month. Each dance is
slightly different. One consists of "seasoned citizens" some as old as 90
and they love some of the less complicated generic dances. Thats what the
want, payfor and I deliver. Group 2 is more of a "traditional/zesty/MWSD"
mix. and the final two are my Sunday afternoon "Contra for All".
I have a feeling that this is only the first of long posts on this
subject and nodoubt I'll get some shots along the way, so long as its all
in the fun of dancing thats ok. Those of you just getting acquainted with
me will find I am a very open, though sometimes opionionated, love to
dance And calle kind of guy.
The waer in this pool is great so jump in and join the fun......working
together we may increase the longevity of bothe the traditional and club
contra movements.