Dancing quotations sought

Peter Olszowka

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
suggestions?

I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

--Peter Olszowka

Dave Goldman

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

In article <4ml7bp$d...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
olszo...@tuck.dartmouth.edu (Peter Olszowka) wrote:

> I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
> revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
> this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

I think the quotation is right. But it was Emma Goldman.

-- Dave (no relation!) Goldman
Portland, OR

Gary D. Shapiro

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

In article <4ml7bp$d...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
olszo...@tuck.dartmouth.edu (Peter Olszowka) wrote:

> I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
>to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
>suggestions?

> I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
>revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
>this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

You got it right, except Emma Goldman said it.

It used to be available as a t-shirt. Check with Northern Sun,
<n...@calhoun.lakes.com> or <http://www.northernsun.com>.
--
Gary D. Shapiro <http://www.rain.org/~gshapiro/>
'Twas brillig, and the slithey tobes did get their own talk shows.

bill...@ljo.dec.com

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

In article <4ml7bp$d...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> dated 96/May/06-15:53:44, olszo...@tuck.dartmouth.edu was saying ...

> Hi,

> I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
> to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
> revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
> this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

Hi Peter. I especially like "Dancing is music made visible". I don't know
the attribution, but I haven't checked Bartlett's.

Meyer A. Billmers Digital Equipment Corporation
bill...@ljo.dec.com Internet Collaboration Software
(508)486-2679

Michael Hanson

May 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/8/96

In article <gshapiro-060...@port45.rain.org>,

gsha...@rain.org (Gary D. Shapiro) wrote:
>In article <4ml7bp$d...@dartvax.dartmouth.edu>,
>olszo...@tuck.dartmouth.edu (Peter Olszowka) wrote:
>
>> I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
>>to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
>>suggestions?
>> I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
>>revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
>>this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.
>
>You got it right, except Emma Goldman said it.

I have seen this quote before, but what does it mean? i.e. what was the
context in which she said it? What revolution was she refering to?
Anybody know the history on this one? (I like the quote, just want to
be sure if I use it that I know what connotations go with it.)

Thanks,
Michael Hanson
mich...@scn.org

VOCB

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96
to bill...@ljo.dec.com

I like "Dancing is music made visible" a lot! These are Imogen Holst's
words, I believe. It has also become Tom Cook's motto.

Philippe Callens
vo...@innet.be

Jonathan Sivier

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

VOCB <pub0...@innet.be> writes:

>I like "Dancing is music made visible" a lot! These are Imogen Holst's
>words, I believe. It has also become Tom Cook's motto.

Here is a list of quotes involving dance that I picked up somewhere. I
also recall having seen a quote by (I think) Moliere in which he says something
like "all the worlds troubles are caused by not enough dancing". If anyone
knows that quote I'd like to add it to my list.

Jonathan

| Jonathan Sivier | Ballo ergo sum. |
| j-si...@uiuc.edu | (I dance therefore I am.) |
| Flight Simulation Lab | - des Cartwright |
| Beckman Institute | |
| 405 N. Mathews | SWMDG - Single White Male |
| Urbana, IL 61801 | Dance Gypsy |
| Work: 217/244-1923 | |
| Home: 217/359-8225 | Have shoes, will dance. |

>Newsgroups: alt.quotations
>Subject: Re: Other dance quotes?

Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts,
because it is no mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life
itself.
-- Havelock Ellis
_The Dance of Life_ [1923], ch. 2

[Dancing is] a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire.
-- George Bernard Shaw
_New Statesman_ 23 Mar. 1962

We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least
once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by
at least one laugh.
-- Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm (1844-1900) *
_Also Sprach Zarathustra [Thus Spake Zarathustra]_
(1883-1891) 3 'On Old and New Tablets'

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?
-- Lewis Carroll [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] [1832-1898]
_Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_, The Lobster-Quadrille, st. 1

The further off from England the nearer is to France --
Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
-- Lewis Carroll [Charles Lutwidge Dodgson] [1832-1898]
_Alice's Adventures in Wonderland_, The Lobster-Quadrille, st. 3

Labor is blossoming or dancing where
The body is not bruised to pleasure soul,
Nor beauty born out of its own despair,
Nor blear-eyed wisdom out of midnight oil.
O chestnut tree, great-rooted blossomer,
Are you the leaf, the blossom or the bole?
O body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?
-- William Butler Yeats [1865-1939]
_The Tower_. Among School Children, st. 8

True ease in writing comes from art, not chance,
As those move easiest who have learn'd to dance.
`Tis not enough no harshness gives offense;
The sound must seem an echo to the sense.
-- Alexander Pope [1688-1744]
_The Temple of Fame_ [1711]. l. 162

It is sweet to dance to violins
When Love and Life are fair:
To dance to flutes, to dance to lutes
Is delicate and rare:
But is it not sweet with nible feet /To dance upon the air!
-- Oscar Wilde [1854-1900]
_The Ballad of Reading Gaol_ [1898], pt. II, st. 9

Except for the point, the still point,
There would be no dance, and there is only the dance.
-- Thomas Stearns Eliot [1888-1965]
_Four Quartets. Burnt Norton_ [1935], II

When you do dance, I wish you
A wave o' the sea, that you might ever do
Nothing but that.
-- William Shakespeare [1564-1616]
_The Winter's Tale_ [1610-1611], act IV, iii, 140

Can't act. Slightly bald. Also dances.
-- Studio official's coment on Fred Astair
Bob Thomas _Astaire_ (1985) ch. 3

marcy

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

olszo...@tuck.dartmouth.edu (Peter Olszowka) writes:

>Hi,

> I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
>to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
>suggestions?
>
>I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
>revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
>this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

I believe it was said by Emma Goldman, whoever she may have been.
How about Snoopy "To dance is to live, to live is to dance."

Cynthia M. Van Ness

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

On Mon, 6 May 1996, Peter Olszowka wrote:

> I need to write an entry for my school yearbook about myself and I'd like
> to include a quotation or two about dancing. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> I was thinking of "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your
> revolution" which I think was said by Mother Jones. Can anyone help me get
> this exactly right? It's not in my _Bartlett's_.

Great idea, finding a dance quotation! This librarian just *knows* you
scoured the quotation books at the Dartmouth Library. [You did, didn't you?]
<smile>

-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-+-=*=-
Cynthia Van Ness, M.L.S. | Co-moderator, Buffalo Freenet genealogy page:
af...@freenet.buffalo.edu | http://freenet.buffalo.edu/~roots
"The only thing you should do behind someone's back is pat it." --unknown

Lynn Garren

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

Emma Goldman was an anarchist.

Jim Reynolds

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

Also by Friedrich Nietzsche - let's see if I can get this right:

"I should only believe in a God that understood how to dance."

Jim

--
Nietzsche is dead.

Michael Hanson

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

In article <4mvljf$2...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
jsi...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Jonathan Sivier )
I enjoyed your list of dance quotes, here are a few more...

It may be possible to do without dancing entirely. Instances have
been known of young people passing many, many months successively
without being at any ball of any description, and no material injury
accrue either to body or mind;
-Jane Austen (Emma)

He who can not dance puts the blame on the floor.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we're here lets dance.

These sort of boobies think that people come to balls to do nothing but dance;
whereas everyone knows that the real business of a ball is either to
look out for a wife, to look after a wife,
or to look after somebody else's wife.
-R.S. Surtees

I know about dancing,
it is choreographed canoodling.
Tim Brooke-Taylor

Some will not dance because they canna
Others, for different reasons, manna
But why not try it, all thats willing?
Since there is no sin in spilling.
-[The Darling Diversion]

Will you be pleased to dance a Country Dance or two,
for 'tis that which makes you truly sociable -
being like the chorus of a song where all parts sing together.
-Edward Phillips, The Mysteries of Love and Elegance [a play]

Dancing is a thing of the soul -
the communion between the ear and the feet.

Warlocks and witches in a dance:
Nae Cotillion, brent new frae France,
But hornpipes, jigs, strathspeys, and reels,
Put life and mettle in their heels.
-Robert Burns, Tam o'Shanter

There's threesome reels, there's foursome reels,
There's hornpipes and strathspeys, man.
But the ae best dance e'er cam to the land
Was the Deil's awa wi th' Exciseman.
-Robert Burns, The Deil's awa wi the Exciseman

Jeff Myers

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Michael Hanson (mich...@scn.org) wrote:

: It may be possible to do without dancing entirely. Instances have

: been known of young people passing many, many months successively
: without being at any ball of any description, and no material injury
: accrue either to body or mind;
: -Jane Austen (Emma)

"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love."
_Pride and Prejudice_
Said of Mr. Bingley. But remember that Mr. Darcy dislikes dancing:

"What a charming amusement for young people this is, Mr.
Darcy!--There is nothing like dancing after all.--I consider it as one of
the first refinements of polished societies."
"Certainly, Sir;--and it has the advantage of also being in vogue
amongst the less polished societies of the world.--Every savage can dance."

Darcy changes his mind about dancing, however, after he falls in love
with Elizabeth.

Jeff Myers

GregMcK

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

My favorite:

"A man should be willing to try anything at least once, except for incest
and folk-dancing."

Not sure of the author. If you know drop me a message.

Greg McKenzie
Somewhere near Santa Cruz

John Denyes

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Havn't seen anyone post this yet, and it's one of my favorites:

For the good are always the merry
Save by an evil chance
And the merry love the fiddle
And the merry love to dance.

The Fiddler of Dooney

-- William Butler Yeats

Michael R. Bissell

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

In article <4natmi$4...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, GregMcK <gre...@aol.com> wrote:

>"A man should be willing to try anything at least once, except for incest
>and folk-dancing."
>
>Not sure of the author. If you know drop me a message.

I don't know the author either, but I heard it as incest and MORRIS
dancing.

--+
| M |
+--
Michael R. Bissell
Portland, OR

--
Portland, Oregon Folk Events Web Page:
http://www.teleport.com/~lamppost/folknews.html

Peter Renzland

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

lamp...@teleport.com (Michael R. Bissell) writes:
>GregMcK <gre...@aol.com> wrote:
>>"A man should be willing to try anything at least once, except for incest
>>and folk-dancing."

>I don't know the author either, but I heard it as incest and MORRIS
>dancing.

You should make a point of trying every experience once,
excepting incest and folk-dancing.
-- Sir Arnold Bax (1883-1953), (English composer) quoting a
`sympathetic Scotsman' in _Farewell, My Youth_ (1943) p. 17

Note that the actual quotation does not say "a man", nor does it
say "at least". It is far more subtle than that.

The quotation is sometimes incorrectly attributed to Sir Thomas Beecham.

--
Peter Renzland +1 416 323-1300 @_{) Cajun Contra ECD SCD , @ _{)_ ,
Pe...@Dancing.Org EntP Kia Ora! (>(| Hambo Irish Lindy \/( )\/\/\ /\/

Andy Bettis

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

wrote:

> >"A man should be willing to try anything at least once, except for incest
> >and folk-dancing."
> >

> >Not sure of the author. If you know drop me a message.
>

> I don't know the author either, but I heard it as incest and MORRIS
> dancing.

I heard it as folk dancing, and the story I got was that it was somebody
who was interviewed by Cecil Sharpe. I hope this is vague enough.

Rev. Andy

Andy Perry

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

Here's one no one else has posted yet:

"God Respects Us When We Work, but He Loves Us When We Dance."

Title of a documentary film by Les Blanc about a 1960's love-in in Los
Angeles. He probably got it from somewhere else, but I haven't seen the
film, so I don't know.

I've always wanted to find a poster for the film...
--
Andy Perry We search before and after,
Brown University We pine for what is not.