OT - Taco Pie and Astrology

1 view

Ken Brown

Jan 13, 2003, 12:16:49 PM1/13/03
Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked like
this:

> Jan Flora wrote:
>
>> If we're so aligned, what's your recipe for a "taco pie"? The SO has

> Now, there is one that I have not done. I shall scour my
> recipe landfill and see what I can see.........

Quick and dirty Taco Pie:

Fritos fill the bottom of a bowl (or just plop on a plate).
Ladle on taco meat.
Add onions and whatever else floats your boat.
Cover with cheese.
Nuke it so cheese melts (or just leave the cheese alone).
Eat it.

This is a staple munchie found at the snack shack at many "rodeo" events.

> I am a Taurus. KInd of. I am on the 'cusp' of the zodiac
> signs between Gemini and Taurus. Which accounts for my
> stubborn confusion.........

Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!

12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.

Before one starts to snicker too heavily re: astro stuff and how it may be
a low-brow pursuit, the likes of Carl Jung spent many hours analyzing
charts and wrote to Frued regarding some of his conclusions. Sure, Jung
was a nutball and a goof, but he carried some amount of clout in the
shrinko world and is still considered influential by someone somewhere.
Kiersey, the fellow who brings you the temperament typing crap .. err..
stuff .. of the INFJ, etc., modeled much of his typing after Jung's
archetypes. I have an archive of emails between myself and the fine Dr.
Kiersey's son (David, Jr., a PhD in chemistry of some sort and a chaos
theory fanatic) whereupon I proceeded to demonstrate his father's work is
based upon astrology and the 12 zodiac signs (with the sub-variations for
rising signs, moon, etc.) was more detailed than the temperament typing
work his father spent so much time exploring. David, Jr. will get over it.

Oh yeah... before you go thinking I am not a Floridian, I was in Nebraska
for all of 6 months. Dad was in the AF and we headed back to good old
Florida after a stint in Alaska. He is a native and, while I wasn't born
here due to his service travels, I was returned to my rightful home ASAP.

------------------------
"Put two hundred miles on
your horse, then come back
and see me."
- attributed to Buster Welch

Paula Jantunen

Jan 13, 2003, 1:13:04 PM1/13/03
Ken Brown <nospam...@positrakinc.com> wrote:

: 12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
: fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.

For a moment there I thought your b-day is within just a few days of
mine, which would make you almost precisely 20 years my senior <shudder>
<G>, but then I recalled you damn Americans will insist on writing dates
the wrong way around. So you're just a little over 19 years older than me
after all <phew>.

Dunno what that makes you, although you might still fit in the same category
as me (capricorn), not that I have much use for those stupid horoscopes
outside of occasional amusement. :-)

Paula, born on the King's b-day in Chapel Hill, NC

--
Paula Jantunen * paujantu at cc dot joensuu dot fi * Piacenza * Italy
* "But like, MAN, Gandalf is SUCH a ripoff of Obi-Wan Kenobi, *

Mary McHugh

Jan 13, 2003, 1:25:09 PM1/13/03
Paula Jantunen wrote:

> Ken Brown <nospam...@positrakinc.com> wrote:
>
> : 12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
> : fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.
>
> For a moment there I thought your b-day is within just a few days of
> mine, which would make you almost precisely 20 years my senior <shudder>

>Dunno what that makes you, although you might still fit in the same category
>as me (capricorn)

No, he's a Sagittarius. He's my senior precisely but unfortunately not
by 20 years. I suppose this explains the shared z-car passion.

Mary

sue knowles

Jan 13, 2003, 1:46:30 PM1/13/03
In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>,
nospam...@positrakinc.com says...

>Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked like
>this:

<taco pie recipe deleted>

>> I am a Taurus. KInd of. I am on the 'cusp' of the zodiac
>> signs between Gemini and Taurus. Which accounts for my
>> stubborn confusion.........
>
>Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!
>
>12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
>fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.

28Nov56, 5:00 pm EST. Does this mean I win the "closest in age to Ken" pool?
Is there a prize? Do I want to know what it is? ;)

the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius (does
that count for OB horsey?) now if I could just ride like a centaur ....

Sue Knowles

Paula Jantunen

Jan 13, 2003, 1:55:38 PM1/13/03
sue knowles <sueatguess...@madeupdomain.com> wrote:
: the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius (does
: that count for OB horsey?) now if I could just ride like a centaur ....

Someone mind telling me what a Sagittarius IS?

Allan M. Due

Jan 13, 2003, 2:07:59 PM1/13/03
sue knowles wrote:
: In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>,

: nospam...@positrakinc.com says...
::
:: Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked
:: like this:
::
: <taco pie recipe deleted>
::
::: I am a Taurus. KInd of. I am on the 'cusp' of the zodiac
::: signs between Gemini and Taurus. Which accounts for my
::: stubborn confusion.........
::
:: Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!
::
:: 12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into
:: some fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.
::
::
: 28Nov56, 5:00 pm EST. Does this mean I win the "closest in age to
: Ken" pool? Is there a prize? Do I want to know what it is? ;)

Sorry Sue, I beat you by a few hours. I was born Nov. 29, 1956 4
something AM CST Urbana, IL (in the middle of a horrendous ice storms -
or so I am told).

: the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius

: (does that count for OB horsey?)

My sign is all that I know too. But given what Ken posted, and how
close our birth dates are to his, we probably don't want to know more.
<g>

Today I submitted my membership application to the NCHA. Could an
interest in working cows be related to ones astological sign?

Allan

(I hate admitting I was born in Urbana, I am from Champaign!)

--
Ignore reply to email address
To contact me click here = http://xbarx.com/m/amd1

Mary McHugh

Jan 13, 2003, 2:31:27 PM1/13/03
sue knowles wrote:

> In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>,
> nospam...@positrakinc.com says...
> >
> >Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked like
> >this:
> >
> <taco pie recipe deleted>
> >
> >> I am a Taurus. KInd of. I am on the 'cusp' of the zodiac
> >> signs between Gemini and Taurus. Which accounts for my
> >> stubborn confusion.........
> >
> >Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!
> >
> >12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
> >fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.
> >

> 28Nov56, 5:00 pm EST. Does this mean I win the "closest in age to Ken" pool?
> Is there a prize? Do I want to know what it is? ;)

Oh sure, make it closest in age since I've already admitted to sharing
the same day. Cheater. :-) BTW, Tamara's Calvin also shares that day.

> the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius (does
> that count for OB horsey?) now if I could just ride like a centaur ....
>
> Sue Knowles

Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You
can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.

Mary

Paula Jantunen

Jan 13, 2003, 2:45:17 PM1/13/03
Mary McHugh <mch...@attglobal.net> wrote:
: Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You

: can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
: not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.

What I actually wanted to know was what kind of beast or whatever a
sagittarius is supposed to be. :-) Just curious.

Mary McHugh

Jan 13, 2003, 3:11:35 PM1/13/03

Paula Jantunen wrote:

> Mary McHugh <mch...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> : Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You
> : can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
> : not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.
>
> What I actually wanted to know was what kind of beast or whatever a
> sagittarius is supposed to be. :-) Just curious.

My mistake. :-) Centuar (or did Sue already answer that?), half man,
half beast. Come to think, that describes Ken pretty well.

Mary

Ingrid Ihle

Jan 13, 2003, 3:17:22 PM1/13/03

"Paula Jantunen" <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote in message

> Someone mind telling me what a Sagittarius IS?

One of the 12 signs of the Zodiac (Astrology). Most people just know their
Sun Sign. More info on Sun Signs:
http://www.astrology-online.com/persn.htm

Some info on Sagittarius:
The Archer
November 23 to December 21

Traditional Sagittarius Traits

Optimistic and freedom-loving
Jovial and good-humored
Honest and straightforward
Intellectual and philosophical

On the dark side....
Blindly optimistic and careless
Irresponsible and superficial
Tactless and restless

We can all see that Ken definitely is tactless and restless. *giggle* Ken
and I have talked a little about astrology before. I had an English teacher
who was fully into it and got me hooked on doing charts. As a puter person,
I feel guilty playing with a pseudo-science. I have found I get along with
Scorpio and Sagittarius the best. I'm a Gemini born on the Cusp of Cancer.
Midsummer Eve baby. I know someone who does full charts on her horses and
for the most part, she says they're boring. Most horse are born in January,
February, and March. Not a lot of difference in charts.

Ingrid

Ken Brown

Jan 13, 2003, 3:15:27 PM1/13/03
Paula Jantunen <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> posted some stuff
that looked like this:

> sue knowles <sueatguess...@madeupdomain.com> wrote:

>: the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius
>: (does that count for OB horsey?) now if I could just ride like a
>: centaur ....
>
> Someone mind telling me what a Sagittarius IS?

Well ... astrology is kinda funky stuff. People tend to concentrate on
just the "sun sign" (the major division of months) and overlook the rising
sign, moon, venus, mars and so on and so forth. A combination of all that
"data", it is believed, creates an inclination to be one way or another in
one's life. "Astrology inclines, it does not define" is the major thing to
remember. I find all of this an amusing diversion when I am in the mood to
kill some time and want to see what the half-nuts out there are thinking.
Personally, I think it is FOS for accuracy, but one can never really know
what lurks out there.

For a Sag, there is a "high Sag" and a "low Sag", depending on other
factors at the time of birth. A brief examination of the info can be found
at www.astro.com or www.astrocenter.com.

Have fun. Heh.

Ken Brown

Jan 13, 2003, 3:17:44 PM1/13/03
"Allan M. Due" <m...@privacy.net> posted some stuff that looked like this:

> Today I submitted my membership application to the NCHA. Could an
> interest in working cows be related to ones astological sign?

According to the gurus, yes.

Ken Brown

Jan 13, 2003, 3:22:04 PM1/13/03
Mary McHugh <mch...@attglobal.net> posted some stuff that looked like
this:

> Paula Jantunen wrote:
>>
>> What I actually wanted to know was what kind of beast or whatever a
>> sagittarius is supposed to be. :-) Just curious.
>
> My mistake. :-) Centuar (or did Sue already answer that?), half man,
> half beast. Come to think, that describes Ken pretty well.

Yep. Also know as the archer/hunter - the man part of the centaur is
aiming a bow and arrow. Is it then so unusual a Sag is drawn to horses?

It's the hidden stuff that one has to watch out for - the rising sign,
Moon, Venus and other planets. The sun sign is considered just the tip of
a rather large iceburg. Or so sayeth the gurus.

Shrug. Who knows what is, and is not, worthy of belief and at what level.

Betsy

Jan 13, 2003, 3:38:07 PM1/13/03
In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>,
nospam...@positrakinc.com posted:

> Quick and dirty Taco Pie:
>
> Fritos fill the bottom of a bowl (or just plop on a plate).
> Ladle on taco meat.
> Add onions and whatever else floats your boat.
> Cover with cheese.
> Nuke it so cheese melts (or just leave the cheese alone).
> Eat it.
>
> This is a staple munchie found at the snack shack at many "rodeo" events.

Here in New Mexico we call this a "Frito Pie". When I moved here 20
years ago, local rumor purported that this recipe was "invented" at the
old Woolworth's lunch counter on the plaza in Santa Fe. Dunno if that's
true or not. They actually used to serve it in the frito bag (the small
one) itself. Just ladle in melted cheese, chili, etc.

Betsy

Ken Brown

Jan 13, 2003, 3:27:31 PM1/13/03
"Ingrid Ihle" <ii...@nospam.intrex.net> posted some stuff that looked
like this:

> Some info on Sagittarius:

> The Archer
> November 23 to December 21
>
> Traditional Sagittarius Traits
>
> Optimistic and freedom-loving
> Jovial and good-humored
> Honest and straightforward
> Intellectual and philosophical
>
> On the dark side....
> Blindly optimistic and careless
> Irresponsible and superficial
> Tactless and restless
>
> We can all see that Ken definitely is tactless and restless. *giggle*

Why thank you.

> Ken and I have talked a little about astrology before. I had an

We did? My memory fades and the specifics elude me.

> English teacher who was fully into it and got me hooked on doing
> charts. As a puter person, I feel guilty playing with a
> pseudo-science.

Aha!! But it is amusing. So plug this in and do a chart: 12/01/56, 6:00
a.m., Offutt Air Force Base (Sarpy County, near Omaha), Nebraska.

> I have found I get along with Scorpio and Sagittarius the best.

We should get along smashingly, then. I have been informed in the past I
have a Scorpio rising, Scorpio moon and Scorpio Venus. It makes for
amusing cocktail chatter. Sometimes.

sue knowles

Jan 13, 2003, 3:46:23 PM1/13/03
In article <3E231D77...@attglobal.net>, mch...@attglobal.net says...
Paula, for clarification, the "beast" half is horse ...
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/aimosaic/students/centaur/compendium/

Sue Knowles

Bill Kambic

Jan 13, 2003, 4:58:32 PM1/13/03
"Betsy" wrote in message

> nospam...@positrakinc.com posted:
> > Quick and dirty Taco Pie:
> >
> > Fritos fill the bottom of a bowl (or just plop on a plate).
> > Ladle on taco meat.
> > Add onions and whatever else floats your boat.
> > Cover with cheese.
> > Nuke it so cheese melts (or just leave the cheese alone).
> > Eat it.
> >
> > This is a staple munchie found at the snack shack at many "rodeo"
events.

> Here in New Mexico we call this a "Frito Pie". When I moved here 20
> years ago, local rumor purported that this recipe was "invented" at the
> old Woolworth's lunch counter on the plaza in Santa Fe.

Damn, lying New Mexicans!!!!!<g>

My lore (circa 1978) is that it was invented in the geedunk in Land Plane
Hanger 3, Naval Air Station, Corpus Christi, Texas.

Seriously, though, I'd bet this probably was invented in the food
experimentation lab of Frito Lay sometime after the first indiviual bags of
Fritos were produced!<g>

Dunno if that's
> true or not. They actually used to serve it in the frito bag (the small
> one) itself. Just ladle in melted cheese, chili, etc.

Yup. That's the recipe!!!!!!!!

Bill Kambic, Haras Lucero, Kingston, TN
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/1816
Mangalarga Marchador: Style, Stamina, Symmetry, & Smoothness

Jody Z. Miller

Jan 13, 2003, 6:57:15 PM1/13/03
On 1/13/03 3:46 PM, "sue knowles" wrote:

>>> Mary McHugh <mch...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>>> : Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You
>>> : can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
>>> : not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.
>>>
>>> What I actually wanted to know was what kind of beast or whatever a
>>> sagittarius is supposed to be. :-) Just curious.
>>
>> My mistake. :-) Centuar (or did Sue already answer that?), half man,
>> half beast. Come to think, that describes Ken pretty well.
>>
>> Mary

Whew, you Sagittarius' are wild characters! Have ya'all read the down side
to that particular sun sign? LOL!

June 27, '50 gets me way far away from you creatures! Waaaaaaaay far away,
and now things are beginning to get clearer. For Paula, don't you get into
the astrological aspects? I'd be a "Cancer" sign FYI, which sounds
horrible, but it's the sign of the Crab, cardinal water sign.

When is your birthday, Paula? Capricorn, eh?

Jody

"Talent without discipline is like an octopus on roller skates.
There's plenty of movement, but you never know if it's going
to be forward, backwards, or sideways." ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.

AKP

Jan 13, 2003, 7:10:06 PM1/13/03
Paula Jantunen <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:<avv50d$bhq$3...@cc.joensuu.fi>...

> Mary McHugh <mch...@attglobal.net> wrote:
> : Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You
> : can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
> : not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.
>
> What I actually wanted to know was what kind of beast or whatever a
> sagittarius is supposed to be. :-) Just curious.

Sagittarius is a centaur - half man half horse usually represented
with a bow and arrow.

http://www.astrology-online.com/sagittar.htm

Alisa - who is a sagittarius

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Jan 13, 2003, 6:53:30 PM1/13/03
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:15:27 GMT, Ken Brown
<nospam...@positrakinc.com> wrote:

snip

>Well ... astrology is kinda funky stuff. People tend to concentrate on
>just the "sun sign" (the major division of months) and overlook the rising
>sign, moon, venus, mars and so on and so forth. A combination of all that
>"data", it is believed, creates an inclination to be one way or another in
>one's life. "Astrology inclines, it does not define" is the major thing to
>remember. I find all of this an amusing diversion when I am in the mood to
>kill some time and want to see what the half-nuts out there are thinking.
>Personally, I think it is FOS for accuracy, but one can never really know
>what lurks out there.

Hm.

So you know what I'm saying when I say I'm Scorpio, Scorpio rising,
Aquarius moon, and just about evenly split between Libra and Scorpio
for everything else (except either Jupiter/Saturn in Leo).

heh, heh, heh

jrw

Jody Z. Miller

Jan 13, 2003, 7:34:44 PM1/13/03
On 1/13/03 6:53 PM, "Joyce Reynolds-Ward" wrote:

> So you know what I'm saying when I say I'm Scorpio, Scorpio rising,
> Aquarius moon, and just about evenly split between Libra and Scorpio
> for everything else (except either Jupiter/Saturn in Leo).

Hum, I'm Scorpio rising, Joyce. I see we can see eye to eye......

I never doubted it for a minute! :)

Jody
"When I feel that my horse obeys all my commands,
and responding without any resistance to my thoughts,
gracefully performs all the movements I ask of him in perfect lightness,
I am so happy, that I only have one wish, sharing my joy." ~ F. Baucher

Wendy S

Jan 13, 2003, 8:09:46 PM1/13/03
Ken Brown wrote:
> Quick and dirty Taco Pie:
> Fritos fill the bottom of a bowl (or just plop on a plate).
> Ladle on taco meat.
> Add onions and whatever else floats your boat.
> Cover with cheese.
> Nuke it so cheese melts (or just leave the cheese alone).
> Eat it.
> This is a staple munchie found at the snack shack at many "rodeo" events.

That sounds suspiciously like "Frito Pie" which schools in Texas actually
consider to be a main dish!

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ

Joyce Reynolds-Ward

Jan 13, 2003, 10:04:47 PM1/13/03
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:34:44 GMT, "Jody Z. Miller"
<clayri...@attbi.com> wrote:

>On 1/13/03 6:53 PM, "Joyce Reynolds-Ward" wrote:
>
>> So you know what I'm saying when I say I'm Scorpio, Scorpio rising,
>> Aquarius moon, and just about evenly split between Libra and Scorpio
>> for everything else (except either Jupiter/Saturn in Leo).

>Hum, I'm Scorpio rising, Joyce. I see we can see eye to eye......

And Ken makes *three* Scorpio risings.....

seriously.

Ay.

jrw

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 4:52:58 AM1/14/03
AKP <ly...@kc.rr.com> wrote:
: Sagittarius is a centaur - half man half horse usually represented

: with a bow and arrow.

All right, thanks Alisa and everybody. :-)

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 5:02:00 AM1/14/03
Jody Z. Miller <clayri...@attbi.com> wrote:

: and now things are beginning to get clearer. For Paula, don't you get into

: the astrological aspects? I'd be a "Cancer" sign FYI, which sounds
: horrible, but it's the sign of the Crab, cardinal water sign.

Astrology is kind of amusing, but nothing more. I know my sign, and that's
just about it.

: When is your birthday, Paula? Capricorn, eh?

Yeppers. When I first heard about horoscopes I learned that one of the signs
was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
must have been seven or something), immediately decided that's what I
wanted to be. Funny enough, that's what I turned out to be, too.

I turned 27 last Wednesday.

Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?

Ruth Baltopoulos

Jan 14, 2003, 6:49:23 AM1/14/03
Paula Jantunen wrote:
<snip>

> Astrology is kind of amusing, but nothing more. I know my sign, and that's
> just about it.

Same here. And for some reason, people find it amusing to
point out the bull-headed, split personality thang. I
really don't know why.........

Now, back to searching for that Taco Pie :)

Ruth B

Emily Brooks

Jan 14, 2003, 7:38:04 AM1/14/03

"Paula Jantunen" <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote in message

snip

> Yeppers. When I first heard about horoscopes I learned that one of the
signs
> was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
> must have been seven or something), immediately decided that's what I
> wanted to be. Funny enough, that's what I turned out to be, too.
>
> I turned 27 last Wednesday.
>
> Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?
>
> --
> Paula Jantunen * paujantu at cc dot joensuu dot fi * Piacenza * Italy
> * "But like, MAN, Gandalf is SUCH a ripoff of Obi-Wan Kenobi, *
> * it's not funny..." - Dork Tower, Jan 2002 *
> * * * http://cc.joensuu.fi/~paujantu/ Remove gotcha to reply * * * *

Yep, here! I'll be, lessee, WAY older than you on Thursday :-) And also a
major Middle Earth fan from, oh, before you were born. I'm even older than
Ken!

Emily

RPM1

Jan 14, 2003, 7:45:17 AM1/14/03
"Paula Jantunen"

>>was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
>>must have been seven or something), immediately decided that's what I
>>wanted to be. Funny enough, that's what I turned out to be, too.
>>
>>I turned 27 last Wednesday.
>>
>>Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?

I'm born on Jan 9th. Isn't that a goat or something?

Ruth CM

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 7:55:44 AM1/14/03
RPM1 <rpm1de...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
: "Paula Jantunen"

:>>was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
:>>Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?

: I'm born on Jan 9th. Isn't that a goat or something?

All I know is that it's traditionally translated to Finnish as "deer". I'm
sticking to that. :-)

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 7:51:34 AM1/14/03
Emily Brooks <sun...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

: Yep, here! I'll be, lessee, WAY older than you on Thursday :-) And also a

: major Middle Earth fan from, oh, before you were born. I'm even older than
: Ken!

Well, happy b-day to you in advance! :-) And always happy to meet other
long-time Tolkienists. Not that I'm a big expert (I know someone who could
probably wish you happy birthday in Sindarin), but I think it's bad
enough a sign that I seriously love Silmarillion. :-)

On that topic, have you seen Two Towers yet? What did you think of
Shadowfax? I was a bit disappointed there...

Fran Bragg

Jan 14, 2003, 8:12:15 AM1/14/03

"Joyce Reynolds-Ward" <j...@aracnet.com> wrote in message

I don't know if I'm rising or falling but I'm a Scorpio too! (Nov-3-61)
Fran

Chris Henderson

Jan 14, 2003, 8:37:02 AM1/14/03

Paula Jantunen wrote:

> Jody Z. Miller <clayri...@attbi.com> wrote:
>
> : When is your birthday, Paula? Capricorn, eh?
>
> Yeppers. When I first heard about horoscopes I learned that one of the signs
> was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
> must have been seven or something), immediately decided that's what I
> wanted to be. Funny enough, that's what I turned out to be, too.
>
> I turned 27 last Wednesday.

Hey, happy birthday!!

> Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?

My birthday is today. I'm 38. I'm not getting the Bambi reference
though. Capricorn is the sign of the goat.

Chris Henderson

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 8:46:35 AM1/14/03
Chris Henderson <chen...@admmail.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

: Hey, happy birthday!!
: My birthday is today.

Thanks, and very happy birthday to you too, Chris!

:> Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?

: I'm 38. I'm not getting the Bambi reference

: though. Capricorn is the sign of the goat.

So it seems to be in English. In Finnish it's the sign of the deer. I
wasn't aware that capricorn doesn't actually mean that.

Well, I'd rather be a cute little bambi than a stupid goat, so I'm sticking
to Finnish. :-)

Paula Jantunen

Jan 14, 2003, 10:33:58 AM1/14/03
LESDL <LESD...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

: I've been a major fan for about 25 years, probably you'd consider me a
: newbie ;-)

You beat me by about ten years. I blame my brother for it not being less. He
was practically pushing Tolkien down my throat and I simply refused to touch
the books for some years. It was love at first read, though!

: The sign of a true purist. I loved it too- couldn't put it down during
: the first *serious* attempt to read it- I had to find out how the bad
: guy lost :-)

Silmarillion is just so grand and so sad. I can understand all the
indirect storytelling without many detailed scenes putting people off, but I
for one never found it boring.

: Have you read Unfinished Tales? Some of the very best, most beautiful
: words I've ever read are in some of those stories. Truly moving stuff
: there.

I don't own that one, but I've read it a few times. Good stuff certainly,
but reading unfinished fragments tends to frustrate me.

:>On that topic, have you seen Two Towers yet? What did you think of

:>Shadowfax? I was a bit disappointed there...

: I was very disappointed. I think the element that they came closest to
: getting perfect was Gandalf's whistle-call. *That* I liked.

On afterthought, I guess they didn't have a lot of choice, most people
watching these movies not being horse people. Doesn't stop me from thinking
all that snow-white-horse-galloping-in-slow-motion pretty darn corny. I was
almost as annoyed as when Arwen is escaping the Ringwraiths in Fellowship
and they make a huge big deal out of jumping this ridiculous little
tree trunk...

M. Brumbaugh

Jan 14, 2003, 1:29:44 PM1/14/03
Wendy S <wend...@hotmail.com> wrote:

They served us something in the dorms when I was in college (nearly 20
years ago) they called a Texas Straw Hat that sound just like this.
(Allan this was just South of that Champaign of yours in a place
affectionately called Chucktown.....)

One of the few edible things they made. Though I sure the didn't use
real Fritos, too expensive for dorm food.

Mollie

"Are all Librarians this much trouble?"
Rick O'Connell
The Mummy Returns

Lori Coulson

Jan 14, 2003, 3:41:38 PM1/14/03
Paula Jantunen <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:<b011cg$lk0$2...@cc.joensuu.fi>...

> RPM1 <rpm1de...@frontiernet.net> wrote:
> : "Paula Jantunen"
> :>>was called capricorn, and, being quite in love with Bambi at the time (I
> :>>Other Bambis out there, or am I the only one in the ng?
>
> : I'm born on Jan 9th. Isn't that a goat or something?
>
> All I know is that it's traditionally translated to Finnish as "deer". I'm
> sticking to that. :-)

No, No, No -- Capricorn is the "SeaGoat" not a deer. If you look up
artwork with this sign you will see that Capricorn is drawn as
half-goat, half-fish. Sort of a goat version of a mermaid.

How the heck did the Finns get "deer" out of this one? Dates are Dec.
22 thru January 21, I think.

Lori Coulson

Phetsy Calderon

Jan 14, 2003, 4:16:21 PM1/14/03
Ken Brown <nospam...@positrakinc.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93029F6A64515kr...@198.252.58.3>...

> "Ingrid Ihle" <ii...@nospam.intrex.net> posted some stuff that looked
> like this:
>
> > Some info on Sagittarius:
> > The Archer
> > November 23 to December 21
> >
> > Traditional Sagittarius Traits
> >
> > We can all see that Ken definitely is tactless and restless. *giggle*

> Why thank you.

As a puter person, I feel guilty playing with a
> > pseudo-science.
>
> Aha!! But it is amusing. So plug this in and do a chart: 12/01/56, 6:00
> a.m., Offutt Air Force Base (Sarpy County, near Omaha), Nebraska.
>
> > I have found I get along with Scorpio and Sagittarius the best.
>
> We should get along smashingly, then. I have been informed in the past I
> have a Scorpio rising, Scorpio moon and Scorpio Venus. It makes for
> amusing cocktail chatter. Sometimes.

Hmm, similar to my chart, but mine is somewhat odder. Aquarius on the
cusp of Pisces, Scorp rising, Scorp moon, Mars in Jupiter? Or Venus in
Mars? Been awhile since I've looked at the chart.

Anyway, reliable sources indicate it's hellaciously weird, matched
only by the fact that, according to the Chinese 'scope, I'm a Water
Dragon.

Which may explain the semi-Pagan Tibetan Bhuddist buckaroo part of me.
Or not--that could just be my natural-born contrarian Scotch-Irish
self..

Phetsy

Emily Brooks

Jan 14, 2003, 4:43:12 PM1/14/03

"Paula Jantunen" <pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote in message

snip

> On that topic, have you seen Two Towers yet? What did you think of
> Shadowfax? I was a bit disappointed there...

I think Shadowfax should at least have been grey (he's "silver" in the book)
rather than white. But artistic license and all that - the "White Rider"
must needs have a white horse, no?

I remain amazed at the mind that can take these books and translate them to
film while maintaining (most of) the feel I get from reading them. Yes,
scenes are elided and transposed, characters say one another's speeches, and
the tension between Arwen and Aragorn is a complete invention and yet ... I
am enthralled.

Not such a fanatic, I, that I would understand Happy Birthday in Sindarin
but I have read the Trilogy numerous times, the Silmarillion more than once,
and various of the other later volumes too.

Emily (resting wrenched back before daring the OBhorses again)

Christine Watanabe

Jan 14, 2003, 9:05:04 PM1/14/03
On 1/13/03 1:31 PM, in article 3E23140F...@attglobal.net, "Mary
McHugh" <mch...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> sue knowles wrote:
>>
>> In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>,

>> nospam...@positrakinc.com says...
>>>
>>> Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked like
>>> this:
>>>
>> <taco pie recipe deleted>

>>> Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!
>>>
>>> 12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
>>> fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.
>>>

>> 28Nov56, 5:00 pm EST. Does this mean I win the "closest in age to Ken" pool?
>> Is there a prize? Do I want to know what it is? ;)
>
> Oh sure, make it closest in age since I've already admitted to sharing
> the same day. Cheater. :-) BTW, Tamara's Calvin also shares that day.
>
>> the only thing I know about astrology is that my sign is Sagittarius (does
>> that count for OB horsey?) now if I could just ride like a centaur ....
>>
>> Sue Knowles

> Sagittarius is something like Nov. 22 thru Dec. 21 (Paula asked). You
> can see I also know very little other than the dates for "my" sign. I'm
> not even sure I could name the other 11 signs.

Don't remember the dates, but -

Aries (Mar-Apr) - Ram
Taurus (Apr-May) - Bull
Gemini (May-Jun) - Twins
Cancer (Jun-Jul) - Crab (recently changed to Moon-child since crab has such
a negative connotation)
Leo (Jul-Aug) - Lion
Virgo (Aug-Sep) - Virgin
Libra (Sep-Oct) - Scales
Scorpio (Oct-Nov) - Scorpion
Sagittarius (Nov-Dec) - Hunter
Capricorn (Dec-Jan) - Sea goat
Aquarius (Jan-Feb) - Water bearer
Pisces (Feb-Mar) - Fish

whoa, spent too much time learning trivia, I'm afraid. . . . <g>

Chris

> Mary

*~*~*
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Chris Watanabe & Mamo the Siamese now plotting the demise of both Baron the
German Shepherd & Cricket the Skye Terrier
chris.w...@verizon.net
Grapevine, Texas

Jennifer Meyer-Mahoney

Jan 14, 2003, 9:45:43 PM1/14/03

"Phetsy Calderon" <phe...@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Hmm, similar to my chart, but mine is somewhat odder. Aquarius on the
> cusp of Pisces, Scorp rising, Scorp moon, Mars in Jupiter? Or Venus in
> Mars? Been awhile since I've looked at the chart.
>
> Anyway, reliable sources indicate it's hellaciously weird, matched
> only by the fact that, according to the Chinese 'scope, I'm a Water
> Dragon.
>
> Which may explain the semi-Pagan Tibetan Bhuddist buckaroo part of me.
> Or not--that could just be my natural-born contrarian Scotch-Irish
> self..
>

> Phetsy

I must have the only summer birthday of the group. I'm a Leo born in the
year of the horse.

Jennifer

Paula Jantunen

Jan 15, 2003, 5:19:47 AM1/15/03
Emily Brooks <sun...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

: I remain amazed at the mind that can take these books and translate them to

: film while maintaining (most of) the feel I get from reading them. Yes,
: scenes are elided and transposed, characters say one another's speeches, and
: the tension between Arwen and Aragorn is a complete invention and yet ... I
: am enthralled.

Oh, so am I. I complain all day long about all sorts of details, but truth
is, I love the movies just about as much as I love the books. I can't *wait*
for next Xmas and the third movie!

: Emily (resting wrenched back before daring the OBhorses again)

Oh dear, here's hoping your back will get well soon...

Paula Jantunen

Jan 15, 2003, 5:23:35 AM1/15/03
Lori Coulson <OV...@juno.com> wrote:

: No, No, No -- Capricorn is the "SeaGoat" not a deer. If you look up

: artwork with this sign you will see that Capricorn is drawn as
: half-goat, half-fish. Sort of a goat version of a mermaid.

: How the heck did the Finns get "deer" out of this one? Dates are Dec.
: 22 thru January 21, I think.

Don't ask me, but as I said it's the traditional translation, used very
consistently in our language so I imagine it's pretty old. Stuff like this
happens between languages.

I really don't care much for horoscopes, so it's one and the same for me
what's "wrong" or "right" here. Deer definitely has more appeal.

Helene Franzen

Jan 14, 2003, 3:07:33 PM1/14/03
Hej.

Here's another Tolkien fan since the late 1950:s.

Mvh Helene

Tom & Win

Jan 15, 2003, 8:44:27 PM1/15/03
On 1/14/03 3:07 PM, in article qfr82vkrmof3s084g...@4ax.com,

Finally saw the movie (Two Towers) today. They did an excellent job on the
whole IMO but I have a couple of gripes.
#1. I think they did a grave disservice to Faramir's character.
#2. I didn't like the ambiguity that was implied in Aragon and Arwen's
relationship.
Gollum/Smeagol was terrific and of course the scenery was wonderful.
I thought the first movie stayed closer to the book than this one did.

I have read the Trilogy more than a few times and the Silmarilion a few
times.

--
Winnie Lind
wtl...@attbi.com

Paula Jantunen

Jan 16, 2003, 6:38:27 AM1/16/03
Tom & Win <wtl...@attbi.com> wrote:

: Finally saw the movie (Two Towers) today. They did an excellent job on the

: whole IMO but I have a couple of gripes.
: #1. I think they did a grave disservice to Faramir's character.

I didn't like it much at first, but then I had a talk with a Tolkienist
friend... I think now that the point is that Jackson is very much
emphasizing the power and the influence of the ring, it's almost a character
in the movie. The movie Faramir isn't a crook; it just takes him longer to
realize what he's dealing with.

: #2. I didn't like the ambiguity that was implied in Aragon and Arwen's
: relationship.

Well, it's a somewhat different interpretation of Tolkien's stories than
what we're used to. I don't really mind it and I'm curious to see how it all
turns out in the end. And I suspect we still haven't been told everything
that happened in Rivendell...

Uh-oh, this is going seriously off topic. :-)

Paula Jantunen

Jan 16, 2003, 6:30:52 AM1/16/03
Helene Franzen <pi...@alcom.aland.fi> wrote:
: Hej.

: Here's another Tolkien fan since the late 1950:s.

Join the club Helene :-). What language do you read your Tolkien in? Is the
Swedish translation good?

Helene Franzen

Jan 16, 2003, 1:03:25 PM1/16/03
On 16 Jan 2003 11:30:52 GMT, Paula Jantunen
<pauj...@cc.gotcha.joensuu.fi.invalid> wrote:

Hej.

>Join the club Helene :-). What language do you read your Tolkien in? Is the
>Swedish translation good?

In English. I doubt there even was a Swedish translation that early.
I read part of one Swedish translation much later. It was very poor.
Many of those beautiful names were substituted with Viking sounding
ones. I've heard there's a new one out now.

Mvh Helene

Jan Flora

Jan 18, 2003, 8:05:12 AM1/18/03
In article <Xns93027F152FB46kr...@198.252.58.3>, Ken Brown
<nospam...@positrakinc.com> wrote:

> Ruth Baltopoulos <rud...@attbi.com> posted some stuff that looked like
> this:
>

> > Jan Flora wrote:
> >
> >> If we're so aligned, what's your recipe for a "taco pie"? The SO has
>
> > Now, there is one that I have not done. I shall scour my
> > recipe landfill and see what I can see.........

> Quick and dirty Taco Pie:
>
> Fritos fill the bottom of a bowl (or just plop on a plate).
> Ladle on taco meat.
> Add onions and whatever else floats your boat.
> Cover with cheese.
> Nuke it so cheese melts (or just leave the cheese alone).
> Eat it.
>
> This is a staple munchie found at the snack shack at many "rodeo" events.

I made this, sort of, the other night. Tortilla chips, taco meat with a can of
pintos thrown in, more tortilla chips, olives, cheese. Baked it for awhile.
Man, it was *good*!

> > I am a Taurus. KInd of. I am on the 'cusp' of the zodiac
> > signs between Gemini and Taurus. Which accounts for my
> > stubborn confusion.........
>
> Bull headed and a split personality. Gee.. how exciting!
>
> 12/01/56, 6:00 a.m., Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska. Plug it into some
> fancy-dancy-astro-checker-thingie and wince. Heh.

Gawd. You're one year, almost to the moment, younger than my SO. But
he was born in the village of Seldovia, in the Territory of Alaska. If you ride
anything like he does, that's saying something. He rides a bucking horse like
he's sitting in a rocking chair.

But one time when he jumped on my brat horse, I warned him that the horse
had been using trees lately, to get rid of riders. Chris laughed. He hopped on
my guy, who promptly rubbed him off with a tree. (The horse & me got a big
laugh out of it.) Chris got back on and the horse ran him under a *really* low
branch. It's a good thing we didn't have a firearm in the truck that day...

Jan