A/C Motor Reversing Switch

1 view

Joe Comunale

Nov 7, 2001, 12:20:25 AM11/7/01
Anyone have any information on wiring up an A/C motor with a reversing
switch?
I want to run my lathe backwards for sanding and for honing/buffing
operations.

All help is appreciated!

Joe Comunale mailto:joeco...@home.com

Richard Stapley

Nov 7, 2001, 3:58:44 AM11/7/01
Joe you will find the relevent Wiring Diagrams on my Web Site in the Hints
and Tips Section.

http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk

RVS

Joe Comunale <JoeCo...@home.com> wrote in message

Steve Tiedman

Nov 7, 2001, 11:32:21 PM11/7/01
Joe,

It's called a drum switch, and A/C motors that have the wiring junction
box that contain leads identified with codes such as "T2" and similar, and
show on a wiring diagram on the junction box on how to rewire for
rotation, can be retrofitted with the drum switch for nearly instant
direction changes (stop the motor first, then switch direction). Drum
switches can be found through industrial supply houses and maybe
electrical suppliers, check your local yellow pages.

Peter Child's book "The Craftsman Woodturner" also shows you a method to
switch motor directions. It's been a while since I looked at the book,
but the parts are probably found at Radio Shack.

It can't be done on some motors, like my Jet mini for example. The wiring
is just not there for it.

Good luck.

Steve.
--