FINISHED: 1st Foundation piecing "quilt"

Keerthi Y. McIntosh

Nov 28, 1994, 12:01:59 PM11/28/94

Friends,

Well I did it! I really didn't think I would finish it but I DID!!!! :)

I followed the instructions that Anne Louise Gockel had posted summarizing
her research into foundation piecing. I had every intention of picking up
some of the references she had quoted in her post, but never got around to
it. I found her instructions informative enough to get me though my small
project.

I made a backgammon board. I had ordered the pattern from Keepsake Quilting.
and purchased the fabrics from my local quilting store. I used a navy fabric
with small geometric prints in red and teal. Then I used solid red and
teal for the triangles on the board. It took me two attempts to get the
concept straight but once I did, it was fairly quick to complete.

I tried to "fussy" cut the background to maintain the "lines" created by
the geometric shapes, but I found it difficult to keep the fabric perfectly
positioned. Once I gave up on this concept, the board was quickly and easily
assembled.

I used velum graph paper for the foundation and a very small stitch length.
(1.0 on Bernina) The most significant variation from Anne's instructions
was that I colored each area of the foundation (the paper) This insured
that I got all the colors (or different fabrics) in the correct place. I
found it confusing to remember where to put the colors and ended up making
one backwards. I also pressed and pressed and re-pressed. I think Anne
may have mentioned this in her original post.

I machined quilted the top to a plain navy backing and used both in the
ditch and outline stitching. I had momentarily considered some fancy quilting
around the borders but I ran out of time.

I am quite proud of it! The recipient seemed to like it. I was glad to
have a useful learning oppoturnity!

Thanks for all the support this group offers!

Keerthi McIntosh
kymci...@amoco.com

who is amazed she is able to quilt at all and excited (this week) with all the
progress she is making on her quilting projects!

Rayna Gillman

Nov 28, 1994, 8:54:00 PM11/28/94

Keerthi -- I remember when you first came into the group with your questions
about quilting. Now you've got a successful project. Hooray! It sounds
like a good one and you have every reason to be delighted with it. On to
the next!

Rayna