New Bernina Series 8 Sewing/Embroidery machines

John

Jul 17, 2008, 4:18:16 PM7/17/08
On another forum earlier today somebody posted some pictures from the
Kansas City roll out of the new Bernina series 8 machines. I checked
them out and the machine is "Large" to say the least. It has a very
big screen on the front of it and a truly big hoop for embroidery. I
think she said it had air needle threading and bobbin thread status
read out, along with other bells and whistles to numerous to mention.
It does notlook like any other Bernina that i have seen, and
represents a new style direction for Bernina. I went back, to the blog
spot to get the url so I could post it here for all to see, but
Bernina had clamped down on the blogger and told her to take the
pictures down until after monday. She unfortunately complied before I
could post the url, so it will remain a mystery until monday. Oh yes,
the price is $10,000. Sorry about that. I don't think I will rush down
to the bank just yet.

John

Karen

Jul 17, 2008, 4:52:03 PM7/17/08
$10,000. Unbelievable.

Karen in WI

KJ

Jul 17, 2008, 4:59:24 PM7/17/08
So the cat's out of the bag.....the bank bag. Actually with their top of
the lines at 7000+....the 10,000 doesn't suprise me at all. Just wondering
how much more stuff is needed to make it seaworthy. Probably another grand
or two. Wow.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Jul 17, 2008, 5:07:24 PM7/17/08
Close your eyes, John, take a deep breath and try to remember - Did it have
a nice long width at the arc? I'm hoping that it does and will tempt lots
of Bernina owners to trade up. I'd like to have a Bernina that stitches
without using the foot control. It would be great if the rich folks would
want to shed their Bernina 440QE or 730 for new bells and whistles. It
could happen. Polly

"Karen" <wrote> $10,000. Unbelievable.

KJ

Jul 17, 2008, 5:35:08 PM7/17/08
You are devious Polly! Yes...I bet some of those flush 730 owners will
want to trade up. Where does the line start?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

John

Jul 17, 2008, 6:04:42 PM7/17/08

It appears to have a VERY Large harp. In excess of 11 inches. The hoop
on the embroidery unit was equally Large, also. This is not a machine
to replace your featherweight to take to quilting classes, unless you
also get the accessory pick up truck to haul it around with. It has
some strange indentation on the right hand side of the front of the
tower to the right of the screen, which I couldn't figure out. That
and the expected cordless foot control are another breakthrough. Sort
of like the cordless mouse on a computer, I guess. There was a long
laundry list of features, that I can not remember. I should have
copied the page down before I left the blog site, but I had to do
something else and figured I would get it when I came back and low and
behold, the whole thing was taken down with a note from the blogger,
that Bernina pressured her to take it down until monday. Sorry that I
could not give you all the sneak peak, but on monday the Bernina
website should give you all you need to know about what you can not
afford.

John

Taria

Jul 17, 2008, 6:21:45 PM7/17/08
I just had a discussion with an 'oldster' about the difference of
want and/or need. Big difference that many folks seem to have no
understanding of. I bet Bernina will offer some kind of snazzy (read
that as expensive) financing to help folks that can't afford a pricey
machine that really is a 'want', not a 'need'.

I have been to visit some older relatives recently that have not been
very good at financial planning for their future and are not in too
great a financial way now. I guess the idea of a having to have the
most and newest 'toys' will have a lot of folks going hungry in their
retirement years. After my visit I came home with less wants and
re-evaluated needs. Watching all the houses going into foreclosure
here has me in a dither too. Folks are just not very good at
spending money in general these days. It is really sad.

Taria, sorry to be on a $$$ soap box.

I.E.Z.

Jul 17, 2008, 6:32:26 PM7/17/08

"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

I don't know why, but the whole "big secret" thing just irritates me. It's
so 1950's, (an era few of you probably remember!) a time when the new cars
always came out in the fall, and for a month or so beforehand, the ads would
show the new model under a sheet because it was going to be a big surprise.

I'm no way in the market for a new machine, especially a Bernina. As much
as I love my thirteen year old 1090s, with its narrow feeddogs so excellent
for piecing, I'm just not paying Bernina prices anymore. All this childish
game-playing, only letting the "cool kids" get a peek until Monday,
certainly isn't going to tempt me to change my mind.

Grumpily,

Iris

Polly Esther

Jul 17, 2008, 6:41:38 PM7/17/08
Thank you, John, for the sneak peek. I'm more likely to try taxidermy than
I am machine embroidery - it simply does not call to me. Our daughters do
some lovely machine embroidery and I am content to just be the cheerleader.
And, Kathyl, the Viking dealers are worth watching too. Maybe some of
the big money folks will trade their Berninas in for the new Viking ? is it
called the Diamond? Polly

"KJ" <wrote> So the cat's out of the bag.....the bank bag. Actually with

John

Jul 17, 2008, 7:25:48 PM7/17/08

I can just see into the future now. In very short order we are going
to have the sewing machine mortgage meltdown and sewing machine
forclosure scare of 2010. After the companies realize that they can
not sell as many as they had projected, at $10,000, they will engage
in "Creative Financing" schemes. People will become even more
overextended and when they go into bankruptcy proceedings, because the
sewing machines are an asset that will be seized to pay off the debt
on the mortgage. Then the sewing machine companies will go into
receivership because people who bought the machines could not, or
would not, keep up their payments on machines they no longer
possessed.
This will precipitate what will become known as the stitch in the last
ditch meltdown, and people will be trading barely used Berninas and
other formally top of the line sewing machines, for a few gallons of
gasoline to hit the road for a better life down south in Mexico. Oh
the humanity! What is to become of the human race. The only people who
will be known to survive this calamity are the Amish who never
financed anything but paid cash for everything they bought. They will
introduce what will become known as the "Yoder Years", where people
will wear black clothing which is sewn on treadle sewing machines,
which will then be the top of the line machines and a status symbol of
unimagined proportions. This will start a new phase of the human
experiment called "living within your means". What results from this
curious experiment is to hard to predict, but hope springs eternal in
mankind's heart.

John ( I can see clearly now.)

Donna in Idaho

Jul 17, 2008, 7:46:50 PM7/17/08
Yes, the new Viking is the Diamond and it's REALLY BIG! You should see the
case that goes with it to haul the machine and the embroidery unit. I think
you could put a fairly good sized body in it!

Donna in SW Idaho

"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Jul 17, 2008, 8:22:21 PM7/17/08
Well, no, Iris, that's not the way it went. The big sales plan was to offer
everybody an opportunity to sign up for an early look at their grand
production. I suspect that signing up would get a person on every mailing
list and email list from here to the North Pole. I declined. My block
sender list is really loaded already. And you just go right ahead and be
grumpy when the notion strikes you. It's probably heaps cheaper than ulcers
or smashing windows. Polly

"I.E.Z." <> I don't know why, but the whole "big secret" thing just

KJ

Jul 17, 2008, 8:39:33 PM7/17/08
I'd say you're a very creative writer....but perhaps you don't have to be
all that creative to dream up that scenario! It made me smile though. :-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

KJ

Jul 17, 2008, 8:41:23 PM7/17/08
I thought I signed up for the preview. Hummm did I miss it? Or is that
what's supposed to take place on Monday?

--
Kathyl (KJ) < who doesn't need a mega machine right now...but I would like
my driver's side power window in my car to start working again.

"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Jul 17, 2008, 9:15:41 PM7/17/08
Our daughter's driver's side window quit working one summer. She was quite
skilled at going by the drive-up window at McDonald's backwards. Now who in
the world would do a thing like that? Polly

"KJ" <wrote, in part> --

KJ

Jul 17, 2008, 9:27:27 PM7/17/08
Too funny! I was going to the ATM today and realized it would be a lot
easier to park and just go in the darned bank. I guess maybe it's good for
me to have a bad window.....more walking and less fast food!

--
Kathyl (KJ)

remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" <bhma...@cableone.net> wrote in message

John

Jul 17, 2008, 9:34:49 PM7/17/08

There was a wonderful movie a couple of years ago that was set on an
Indian reservation in the one of plains states, In which two of the
characters were Indian girls who drove around in an old car with a
transmission which only had reverse gear, so they had to drive
backwards wherever they went. It was a particularly funny part in the
otherwise rather bleak movie. I wish I could remember the name of the
movie, but your story brought it back from the depths of my memory
bank.

John

Taria

Jul 17, 2008, 10:24:14 PM7/17/08
lol, sounds like you have been to so cal lately!
YOu are pretty funny John. I just was hoping for a
quality mechanical stretch Bernina. Think it will
ever happen?
Taria

John

Jul 18, 2008, 4:12:52 AM7/18/08

I think the same dynamic has afflicted the sewing machine co's that
has got a grip on the automobile co's. They make more profit on the
large fancy items in their product line, than they do on the basic
machines, so they focus their efforts on the higher end stuff. I think
Janome has a good mix of basic and fancy machines, so they offer a
number of models at the lower price levels. The exchange rate of the
Swiss currency vrs the American dollar is killing some of the sales
dynamic from this side of the pond, also. And aside from the quilters,
nobody much sews any more. There are a few fashion mavens who sew
clothes, but the era of a sewing machine in every house, that is
regularly used to make new clothes in a thing of the past. That is not
a healthy business model to concentrate your efforts on lower priced
machine manufacturing.
What with Wal-Mart offering off-shore clothes for sale for less than
the cost of fabric to make them here, it is a challenging environment
for machine manufacturing, to say the least.

John

Pat in Virginia

Jul 18, 2008, 7:21:30 AM7/18/08
Polly:

I'm with you! On second thought, I am not. I am not likely to try the
machine embroidery, but taxidermy is not on my radar screen either. I wonder
why Bernina is packaging this model as a dual machine. Some people may be
interested in the larger SM but do not want the embroidery portion. I wonder
if Bernina will sell the SM without that unit. When I bought my Pfilomina
Pfaff, it was pretty advanced and had the embroidery unit. I told the dealer
that I did not care for that, and was able to purchase the SM sans
embroidery. That was a big cost savings for me. Pfilomina and I are still
having fun quilting in Virginia!
PAT

Taria

Jul 18, 2008, 9:34:10 AM7/18/08
YEp, you are right. I spent the last couple of weeks looking for
dresses though. I finally found a sort of decent dress that was
actually wearable for a 50 yo woman and then noticed the zipper
had been put in backwards. Literally the whole zipper put on the
outside of the dress. I asked a clerk and she said that is the
style, not a mistake. Maybe I am too old or just too crazy but
it was dumb. Everything is imported. I guess I am going back to
clothing construction. I suppose the fabric is all imported but at
least my labor isn't. (with over 4 weeks of 100� weather it is sort
of like a sweat shop here)
Janome was pretty rotten to me about the 6600 with the bad foot.
Dh finally got sick of listening to me gripe and repaired it but
gosh it is designed really poorly. I hope I can keep my vintage
machines running a long time.
Taria

Donna in Idaho

Jul 18, 2008, 10:38:38 AM7/18/08
I bought my Viking Designer II without the embroidery unit. I have no
interest in doing any machine embroidery, but I love the other features that
are on my machine. My dealer has thought for years that she was going to
talk me into buying an embroidery machine - she has finally gotten the
message and hasn't bugged me about that for quite awhile now.

Donna in SW Idaho

"Pat in Virginia" <pat.q...@cox.net> wrote in message

John

Jul 18, 2008, 5:11:44 PM7/18/08

Ok here is more data on the new Series 8 Machine. I got this off of
another forum.
Here's a preview:
Largest sewing space in the home industry with a 12-inch extended arm!
15 mm presser foot clearance!
Jumbo bobbin (holds 40-60% more thread) with revolutionary new easy-to-
use industrial hook system!
Faster sewing/faster quilting! Up to 1,100 stitches per minute, even
with BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator)!
Introducing Bernina Dual Feed for precision, visibility, and
maneuverability!
Large clear touch screen with drag and drop accuracy!
LED lights!
Eco Mode uses 30% less energy!
Auto threading threads machine and needle in one process!
Programmable Auto Thread Cutter with Secure Stitch!
360-degree multi-directional sewing!
Auto tapering!
Wireless foot control!
Needle Minder remembers the type and size of needle in your machine!
Digital clock with alarm (Time flies when you're having fun)!
Easy to reset bobbin tension for bobbin work!
New improved bobbin winder!
Stitch plate includes 45-degree markings!
Endless embroidery!
Embroiders in Mega Hoop without repositioning!
Trims jump stitches automatically!
Artistic View on touch screen for embroidery!
Special Grace quilting frame available!
And more, more, more!

Just because inquiring minds want to know. Brought to you by nefarious
means, without Bernina's authorization.He, He, He!

John

KJ

Jul 18, 2008, 6:11:57 PM7/18/08
I want one........

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Jul 18, 2008, 6:21:22 PM7/18/08
Oh boy! I if won the lottery I still wouldn't buy one. First year models
of *anything* always have bugs in them that need to be worked out. Can you
imagine- with all this new stuff Bernina hasn't had before and already
perfected- how many things could go wrong no matter how much
pre-introduction testing has been done on them??? (Think Vista! LOL)
Your new expensive sm could be in the repair shop every time you turn around
and waiting for parts to be ordered or the repairman not knowing how to fix
something this different.

No thank you.....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

John

Jul 18, 2008, 7:10:22 PM7/18/08
On Jul 18, 6:21 pm, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."

<quilteac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Oh boy!  I if won the lottery I still wouldn't buy one.  First year models
> of *anything* always have bugs in them that need to be worked out.  Can you
> imagine- with all this new stuff Bernina hasn't had before and already
> perfected- how many things could go wrong no matter how much
> pre-introduction testing has been done on them???  (Think  Vista!   LOL)
> Your new expensive sm could be in the repair shop every time you turn around
> and waiting for parts to be ordered or the repairman not knowing how to fix
> something this different.
>
> No thank you.....
>
> Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.
>
> "John" <fixedgearh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

I am with you on the dislike of paying for the privilege of doing R &
D for the sewing machine companies. I also probably wouldn't spend
that amount of money on a machine no matter what it was capable of
doing. Just like I wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce even if I won the
lottery. That said, it does look like a fascinating machine and will
probably become the benchmark of the industry. Even if it is sold to
fewer people than ever who buy new machines. Some people who have to
have the latest, will jump in with both feet, but I think it will be a
hard sell to people of average means.

John

KJ

Jul 18, 2008, 7:22:07 PM7/18/08
Ok...you convinced me ......I'll wait......

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." <quilt...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

KJ

Jul 18, 2008, 7:22:54 PM7/18/08
Can I just say that I'd like to have all those features on my old machine??
;-)

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

Polly Esther

Jul 18, 2008, 10:40:57 PM7/18/08
Good gracious alive. Wonder of wonders. Does this mean that Somebody at
Bernina has been listening to us and what we want / need / would like to
have? Golly. I am overwhelmed. (Also delighted with John's
nefariousosity. Good job, John, way to go! Polly

>> "John" >wrote>>

Patti

Jul 19, 2008, 2:36:24 AM7/19/08
No you don't >g<
.
In message <Ny8gk.205043$TT4.41429@attbi_s22>, KJ
<KJo...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Roberta

Jul 19, 2008, 4:45:03 AM7/19/08
Think Vista indeed -AFAIK Bernina software is not yet Vista
compatible.
I agree, next year's models would be a far better buy, if you really
want one.
Roberta in D

John

Jul 19, 2008, 3:12:24 PM7/19/08

This is the dawning of the "Age of Nefarious"!

John

countr...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2008, 3:48:50 PM7/20/08
On Jul 17, 3:18 pm, John <fixedgearh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
... portion snipped ...

> Oh yes,
> the price is $10,000. Sorry about that. I don't think I will rush down
> to the bank just yet.
>
> John

I don't know much about long arm qulting machines, but isn't that
getting up into the price range of those?
Thanks,
Bev

John

Jul 20, 2008, 4:15:32 PM7/20/08
On Jul 20, 3:48 pm, "countryon...@yahoo.com" <countryon...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

I think so. I have seen some of them at $16,000 Some also at $10,000.
It depends what you are looking for.

John

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Jul 20, 2008, 4:20:28 PM7/20/08
Gammill is advertising one in many of the quilting magazines for $6995. I
don't have a magazine handy to see what size it is, etc., but I sure would
love to have one!

Leslie & The Furbabies in West Plains, MO. - home of the Gammill Quilting
Machines!!!

"John" <fixedg...@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

Donna in NE La.

Jul 20, 2008, 10:04:43 PM7/20/08
I found out the Version 4 embroidery software wasn't compatible with Vista
when I bought my new laptop. But wonder of wonders Version 5 is if you want
to purchase it!! Would love to have the new machine with all the bells and
whistles but can't handle that price right now!! I'll just stick with my
200!

--
Donna in NE La.
"Roberta" <Roberta@Home> wrote in message

Lenore L

Jul 20, 2008, 10:27:50 PM7/20/08
Yes, at 10K, it is almost as much as a long-arm. I think I'll have to get
my 440 paid for and used a lot more (letting the kinks get worked out of the
new model) before I'll even look at it.

Seriously, next machine, I'm going back to Viking.......

Happy quilting,

Lenore

"Donna in NE La." <kdma...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Carolyn McCarty

Jul 21, 2008, 1:44:13 PM7/21/08
***groooooaaaan!***

But funny, John.

The price is insane. My car, which I depend upon to take me to work five
days a week, didn't cost that much. I suspect folks at Bernina have
delusions of grandeur. Sometimes I think the whole world needs a reality
check.

Then again, maybe I am just cheap! <grin>

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

On Jul 18, 10:40 pm, "Polly Esther" <bhmar...@cableone.net> wrote:
> Good gracious alive. Wonder of wonders. Does this mean that Somebody at
> Bernina has been listening to us and what we want / need / would like to
> have? Golly. I am overwhelmed. (Also delighted with John's
> nefariousosity. Good job, John, way to go! Polly
>
> >> "John" >wrote>>

<gently snipped>

John

Jul 21, 2008, 2:15:20 PM7/21/08
On Jul 17, 4:18 pm, John <fixedgearh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> On another forum earlier today somebody posted some pictures from the
> Kansas City roll out of the new Bernina series 8 machines. I checked
> them out and the machine is "Large" to say the least. It has a very
> big screen on the front of it and a truly big hoop for embroidery. I
> think she said it had air needle threading and bobbin thread status
> read out, along with other bells and whistles to numerous to mention.
> It does notlook like any other Bernina that i have seen, and
> represents a new style direction for Bernina. I went back, to the blog
> spot to get the url so I could post it here for all to see, but
> Bernina had clamped down on the blogger and told her to take the
> pictures down until after monday. She unfortunately complied before I
> could post the url, so it will remain a mystery until monday. Oh yes,

> the price is $10,000. Sorry about that. I don't think I will rush down
> to the bank just yet.
>
> John

I just got back from visiting my Bernina dealer who just got back,
Sunday, from Kansas City Bernina roll out of the new series 8
machines. To all of us quilters, there is a small light of hope as to
the pricing for the new Bernina that is the quilting specific model.
It appears it will be about $2800 dollars cheaper than the Embroidery
model which is pegged at $10,000. Still, at $7000 plus it would be
considered expensive by any stretch of the imagination. But, at least
it is not going to be $10,000 and will come with the bsr foot and
quilting feet and differential feed, I think. He said that shipments
are prioritized to those dealers who are volume sellers. They will get
the first ones and the small volume dealers, will have to wait. He
being a low volume seller will have to wait, for who knows how long..
It is ok with him as he is not looking forward to stocking a $10,000
machine, until it sells. This is all I know as of now.

John (Mr Nefarious Means)

John