Blanket stitch - I finally know how to do it

Di Maloney

Jan 28, 2007, 1:31:45 AM1/28/07
Hi all you very clever quilters who can appliqué.

My sister taught me how to do blanket stitch and a couple of other basic
stitches back in October last year. Try as I might, I never mastered the
blanket stitch - uneven, upsidedown and back to front, looked messy on the
project so I gave up.

Then my daughter asked me for a quilt with the symbols from a pack of cards
on it, i.e. clubs, spade, diamond and heart. I had to do it right.

Perfectly cut out the symbols, tacked the wadding to them, then tacked the
pieces to the material and started the blanket stitch. Sister was visiting
(hadn't seen her since before Christmas) so I decided to try again and do
some work to impress her. Well I did it all right, but instead of the
'straight' bit on the edge of the material, I had the 'teeth' (for the want
of a better word) on the edge and of course it did not stop material from
fraying and didn't look very neat at all.

Janet took one look and said, your stitches are very even BUT you have it
upside down.
I have now completed all four pieces and I am so pleased and happy to say
that two of them have been done correctly and look wonderfully neat, no
fraying edges and the other two will be my 'deliberate mistake' to add
character to the quilt when it is finally finished.

I have been practicing all afternoon and I am very pleased with my efforts
so far.

Sorry about boasting but this really is an achievement for me as Janet does
embroidery, cross-stitch, appliqué, patchwork, makes teddy bears, dolls and
wall-hangings and quilts. I am a learner and had never attempted quilting
before April last year.

Di Maloney
Mornington Peninsula
Victoria Australia

Patti

Jan 28, 2007, 2:47:27 AM1/28/07
Well done, Di.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling to get the better of something you were
apprehensive about?
.
In message <45bc42f4$1...@news.chariot.net.au>, Di Maloney
<sas...@alphalink.com.au> writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Di Maloney

Jan 28, 2007, 6:05:42 AM1/28/07
Thanks Patti, at 61 and learning how to blanket stitch and embroider was a
real thrill for me.
My Mum used to embroider, and I had all of her unfinished projects given to
me to finish when I learn how to - I now intend to practice a lot and then
finish off Mum's projects.
I think my Mum and Ma would be very happy for me.

--

Di Maloney
Mornington Peninsula

"Patti" <Pa...@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote in message

CATS

Jan 28, 2007, 7:10:29 AM1/28/07
WTG Di!!

And you are not the only one to do that with blanket stitch.
One of the sewers here bought a book to learn basic
embroidery stitches, and she did her first blanket stitch
that way too. The book showed how to do the stitch, but
never explained how to set it on the fabric edge.

Now - how about a few French Knots or some Feather Stitch?

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

"Di Maloney" <sas...@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
: Hi all you very clever quilters who can appliqué.

:
:

Boca Jan

Jan 28, 2007, 8:13:11 AM1/28/07
~hugs~ Di. It is always a great accomplishment when you can be proud of a
new skill.

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Polly Esther

Jan 28, 2007, 8:24:43 AM1/28/07
There's a wonderful embroidery magazine published in Australia. It is
'Inspirations' and rightfully claims to teach and show the "World's Most
Beautiful Embroidery". Even the ads in that publication are a joy to read.
Have you ever seen it? I really believe you would be delighted to own one
or two, or every back issue or something. Congratulations on your blanket
stitch success. Polly

Tia Mary

Jan 28, 2007, 9:24:31 AM1/28/07
CATS wrote:
> WTG Di!!

> Now - how about a few French Knots or some Feather Stitch?

NAH -- those are too easy as a "scary" challenge for a beginner
(she says, tongue heavily in cheek :-) ). If we really want to scare
her, Di should try a Queen Stitch or maybe a Bullion Rose! And congrats
to Di for mastering something new, good work!!! CiaoMeow >^;;^<

Sunny

Jan 28, 2007, 10:24:23 AM1/28/07
Hugs and high fives, Di. I'm proud of you! You are an inspiration to
all of us who are giving it our best to learn new things.
Sunny

Dee in Oz

Jan 28, 2007, 7:07:04 PM1/28/07
Well done Di !!!!!

I used to do a lot of embroidery on DD clothing, for some reason she
doesn't want it done anymore (she is 17 tomorrow maybe that is why
LOL)

I have a number of my maternal grandmothers embroideries to complete
one has a stitch called 'thousand flower' unfortunately I haven't been
able to find out what it is.

I still have one of my first doileys and the front is okay but the
back is really bad......

Dee in Oz

Di Maloney

Jan 28, 2007, 7:55:52 PM1/28/07
Thank you all for your kind words. I really am enjoying my newly found
skill.

Cats, I have been shown how to do the French Knots - still practising but
getting there.
Feather stitch will have to wait for time being :>)

Tia, your suggestion "try Queen Stitch or maybe a Bullion Rose" - I asked my
sister to show me what one looks like and I nearly fainted - you never know
tho, I just might get there yet. LOL

--

Di Maloney
Mornington Peninsula

Patti S

Jan 28, 2007, 8:51:58 PM1/28/07
Don't feel like the "lone ranger" Di.... it took me a ridiculously long
time to learn the blanket stitch too, but now, I just love it!
Congratulations!

Patti in Seattle

nzlstar*

Jan 28, 2007, 11:44:57 PM1/28/07
might it have anything to do with the beads called millefiore?
Millefiore means a thousand flowers.
just the first thing that came to mind.
then i googled and havent found anything yet but will continue to search as
i have the energy. little of that lately, summer wears me out in no time
doing nothing.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Dee in Oz" wrote...

nzlstar*

Jan 29, 2007, 12:12:56 AM1/29/07
hey Di,
congrats on persevering til you got it.
do we get pix somewhere?

i used to do a lot of hand embroidery way back when i was on the road
travelling thru europe with my backpack. i'd spend an evening in the hostel
repairing my clothes rather than buy new ones. i used scraps of fabric i
found here and there and some that was given to me. i also had beads. i
wonder if any of the stuff i did for others and gave away is still floating
around the world somewhere. :)

i found these sites with pix of how to do lots and lots of stitches.
tho 'a very few different stitches' used in various combos and sometimes
mixing short and long stitches and a bead here or there can make even more
neat looking embroidery.

the bottom of this page has some of those combos shown.
http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com/stitches/

heres some other links with lots of stitch pix to look at.
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html
http://webstitch.designwest.com/needle_stitch.html
http://www.saigan.com/kidscorner/artcraft/emb.htm

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/06/basic-embroidery-stitches.html
this site has videos of some basic stitches, i use dialup so i didnt look at
them.

if i find any others with good pix or info will post them.
hth,

jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Di Maloney" wrote...

Sharon Harper

Jan 29, 2007, 1:39:47 AM1/29/07
See? This is what makes each quilt unique! Don't worry thought, it always
takes me awhiles to remember how to do that and also slip stitch and blind
hem stich. Have to practice a bit first.

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)

Sharon Harper

Jan 29, 2007, 1:41:11 AM1/29/07
Ooooh, I've ripped a pattern out of that mag for a gorgeous bustier and
skirt. The pattern goes up to a size that is a few sizes smaller than me so
I have to shrink into it. But one day I'll make it.....one day....

http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html (takes awhile to load)
quicker)

"Polly Esther" <miste...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Dee in Oz

Jan 29, 2007, 2:37:10 AM1/29/07
Thanks Jeanne, but I don't think so because it tells you what colour
thread to use. These are older pieces, pre 1966 at least going by the
prices.

I have done a seach some time ago and never knew that Millefiore meant
a thousand flowers.

Dee in Oz

> > Victoria Australia- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Maloney Empire

Jan 29, 2007, 2:54:13 AM1/29/07
Thanks Jeanne,

I have visited each of them - they were very interesting although I could
not access the first one. Just a blank page. I have bookmarked them for
future use.

Thankyou also for any future ones you come up with.

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.
"nzlstar*" <fancyf...@unpickit.com> wrote in message

Maloney Empire

Jan 29, 2007, 3:01:36 AM1/29/07
Hi Dee,

Have a look here for what may be your thousand flowers.

http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=231-543-0900&Category_Code=A03-00-00&Product_Count=9

It could be Brazilian embroidery you are referring to.????????

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.

"Dee in Oz" <davem...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

nzlstar*

Jan 29, 2007, 4:12:33 AM1/29/07
sorry, Dee,
i didnt mean to actually stitch the beads into the design but to
stitch flowers in different colours so they look like the millefiore beads.
if you google just 'millefiore' you'll see the beads and how they are made
in long strips, then cross cut. so they are round with two flat ends.

the beads are made from long 'canes' of glass, fused to one another in a
design that when cross cut into single beads look like flowers.
iirc, they were first made in Italy. there is another name for them but
darned if i can recall what it is....oh wait, let me check google again.
grrrrrrr, cant work out the spelling, will find it tomorrow if i get lucky,
lol.
i've seen similar made with polyclay too.
i could see them made with thread too tho.
how does the pattern read?
if its not how i envisage what i'm talking about i'll beatle off back to my
cave.
we used to get xmas candy like this when i was a kid. i loved them, wish i
could find them now. must do more checking around next xmas, lol.
off to bed now, having an early night to see if i can get some more sleep at
night rather than being awake half the night then falling asleep all day
long, argh.
jeanne
<i did come across a renaissance bead show in Tucson this week tho, fwiw>

Val

Jan 29, 2007, 9:56:11 AM1/29/07

> the beads are made from long 'canes' of glass, fused to one another in a
> design that when cross cut into single beads look like flowers.
> iirc, they were first made in Italy. there is another name for them but
> darned if i can recall what it is....

Millefiori meaning "thousand flowers" (mille-fleur in French) is the
technique you describe. The glass bead that is covered with flowers by
"painting" them on with molten glass is called fiorato "flowered". Is that
the name you were trying to think of?

Val

nzlstar*

Jan 29, 2007, 6:08:26 PM1/29/07
nope Val.
it wasnt painted. t'were the glass canes used but had a name in a different
language. could of been named after a place in Morocco. its a word from my
youth in calif in the 60s/70s...the hippy days, lol.
soon as i work out the right spelling i'll find it, if in fact its used by
that name any longer, oh well.
the painted beads are real pretty too tho, eh. yummy. i love glass beads, so
many variations it is amazing.
cheers,

jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Val" wrote...

> "nzlstar*" wrote...

Dee in Oz

Jan 30, 2007, 1:36:10 AM1/30/07
Sorry to hijack your thread again Di but I have recieved an email back
from Coats/ Semco who date the piece back to the early 1930's. The
best that they can come up with is that 'Thousand Flower Stitch' is
similar to Lazy Daisy Stitch

Dee in Oz

Maloney Empire

Jan 30, 2007, 4:02:03 AM1/30/07
Dee,
I am glad you have that information.
I have some of my Mum's and MILs unfinished embroidery projects and when I
think I am proficient enough, I am going to have a go at finishing them -
under supervision of course by my sister.

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.
"Dee in Oz" <davem...@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

Tia Mary

Jan 30, 2007, 8:40:10 AM1/30/07
Maloney Empire wrote:

> Dee,
> I am glad you have that information.
> I have some of my Mum's and MILs unfinished embroidery projects and when I
> think I am proficient enough, I am going to have a go at finishing them -
> under supervision of course by my sister.

I must have missed the beginning of this thread -- sorry. I do a
lot of needlework, and I DO mean a lot. And by needlework, I mean
needlepoint, cross stitch (both counted and stamped), surface
embroidery, silk ribbon embroidery, etc. I have never heard oaf the
Thousand Flower Stitch so I will have to check some of my needlework
books. Is this something that is called for in one of the unfinished
embroidery projects you have? Please let me know, OK, and I will ask
over at RCTN if anyone knows what this stitch is :-).
As for proficiency -- it's no different than quilting or anything
else, the more you do the better you get. You can always practice the
required stitches on a piece of scrap fabric or even along the edges of
the needlework itself, assuming it's not a piece that has an already
finished edge :-). CiaoMeow >^;;^<

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^< (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary

Cappy

Jan 30, 2007, 10:03:16 AM1/30/07
Now you're ready to do broderie perse! grin

Cappy

Maloney Empire

Jan 30, 2007, 4:11:36 PM1/30/07
Hello Tia Mary,

Thanks for your post. It's not me that needed the information it was Dee,
the poster above me but I am sure if you come up with a answer, she would be
very pleased.

I am practising my stitches, and I am glad to say they have improved so
much.

Cheers,
Di

--
Di Maloney
Please remove 1 from email address to reply direct.

"Tia Mary" <CatWo...@aol.com> wrote in message

Maloney Empire

Jan 30, 2007, 4:15:24 PM1/30/07
Hi all,
Thanks for your encouragement - it really is appreciated.

I found the threads my Mum had for her embroidery - I had stored them away
after Mum passed on thinking I would never used them - now all I have to do
is pick the easiest one first.

Will post a pic of what I try to do.

Regards,
Di