Does your husband dislike band samplers?

Golf pair

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

Don Schooner

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

[snip]... He can't understand

> why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
> rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

My husband can't understand why I would want to stitch the alphabet! Up
until about 2 years ago, I didn't like samplers either....then one day I
saw "English Cottage Sampler". Now I love them all...I guess my tastes
changed!

--Susan *<)8^D

Jennifer Forster

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

THis is such a funny topic!!! I distinctly remembered my husband asking about
the alphabet samplers so I asked him again after reading this. He said he
still doesn't understand why the alphabet - I even tried to tell him the
history of the little girls who used to stitch them to learn the alphabet
etc. - no connection. As far as band samplers, I have Just Nan's
Perseverance that I did last year hanging in the living room and he said he
likes it but he likes the pictures better. Oh well! I love them.

Jennifer

In article <52s0m0$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> Golf pair wrote:
>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same

>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand

P.M. Burnham

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

golf...@aol.com (Golf pair) wrote:

>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
>why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
>rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

I am a stitcher and I find samplers tedious as well. I have never yet
found a sampler appealing, but that is just me. I have never bought a
sampler, I have never stitched a sampler, and I don't really take all
that good of a look at them when I see finished or in progress
samplers. This is just me (so please don't freak out and send me lots
of nasty email)... this is just what I tend to want when I am
stitching....
My DF doesn't seem to be very interested in samplers either (my
grandma has some up in her house and I don't think he or anyone in the
family other than me has noticed that!)....in fact he doesn't seem to
be too interested in anything I stitch until it starts to really look
like something (ie has a face!).

Pam

KPaules531

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

My FORMER boyfriend hated my favorite piece. It's called "Collector's
Diamond" by Diane Evens. It uses about a dozen different fibers in shades
of ecru to tan and about 15 different stitches that I accented with
several antique buttons, including a beautiful potrati button from the
eatly 1900's. It has won several awards including a first place at SOXS
VF in 1995 and my first (and only, so far) Best Of Show at the first
annual Needlework Exhibition at Montpelier Mansion in Laurel Maryland in
1995. He thought it was bland. (Please excuse the blatent sexual
stereotypes that are about to follow.) I've come to the conclusion that
men like "pictures". They don't appreciate the differences in texture and
appearance of various fibers. To all of the male members of this
newsgroup, I apologize. I am speaking of most non-stitching men. There
are some men who do appreciate the beauty of band samplers and the like
but I still think they prefer "pictures".

Please, dear male readers, no flaming. I get enough of that at work where
I am the only woman in my department - engineering.

"Life is a play. Tis not it's length but it's performance that counts!"
Seneca

JoAnn
<jame...@juno.com>

NotMchTime

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

In article <52s0m0$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, golf...@aol.com (Golf
pair) writes:

>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't
understand
>why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all
different
>rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

Well, since my husband knows how much time goes into the things I make,
and knows I wouldn't do samplers if I didn't love them, he wouldn't say
anything even if he didn't like them. To each his own, however--I can see
where a man might not enjoy a sampler as much because they do tend to be
more feminine, and without a specific subject. If your husband is
anything like mine, it's a lot easier for him to get his mind around
something concrete, like a picture of something (preferably in the "big
cat" category--LOL!), than something that is mostly just a pretty design.
Terri N.

Barbara Bandel

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

My husband is sort of non-committal about my work - he still refers to
it as my knitting. However, samplers of any sort do get comments from
my mother. She thinks I much to old to be hanging ABC's on my living
room walls.

Don't worry - I don't pay attention to either one of them. I love
samplers!!! And hang - they will!!!

Barb Bandel
mom...@nando.net

diana slivinska

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

JFors...@gnn.com (Jennifer Forster) wrote:

>THis is such a funny topic!!! I distinctly remembered my husband asking about
>the alphabet samplers so I asked him again after reading this. He said he
>still doesn't understand why the alphabet - I even tried to tell him the
>history of the little girls who used to stitch them to learn the alphabet
>etc. - no connection. As far as band samplers, I have Just Nan's
>Perseverance that I did last year hanging in the living room and he said he
>likes it but he likes the pictures better. Oh well! I love them.
>
>Jennifer
>

>In article <52s0m0$e...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> Golf pair wrote:

>>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
>>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
>>why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
>>rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

hi there,

i've never been all that keen on samplers...with certain exceptions (like band samplers, or really, really fancy ones).

years ago i started TWs Fantasy Sampler (it's still in the UFO pile,
pending completion of the borders...sigh). my then-boyfriend didn't
understand why she "spoiled" the picture with "those ABCs". historical
explanations didn't fly with him, either. i finally gave up on the
explanation...he just didn't get it!

my DF doesn't seem to mind. he wants to stitch, too--only he's real
reluctant to start anything "good" until he practices a bit. he tries
to stitch with all kinds of stuff--threads unraveled from the edges of fabric, un-plied yarn, you name it...and he gets disappointed=
because the results are not good. he also tries to stitch on plain muslin fabric w/o waste canvas, then wonders why the stitches a=
ren't even!
last year for christmas i got him some fabric and floss, but he doesn't use it, because it's "for good"--just like my mom used to do=
with pretty things i got or made for her!

anyway, i've ordered The Proper Stitch from Amazon Books, and look forward to seeing the English Heritage Sampler--another UFO for t=
he pile! i'm currently stitching Dragon Heart, in addition to the piles and piles of UFOs...

ciao all,

--diva

Lana Holden

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

JoAnn wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that
> men like "pictures". They don't appreciate the differences in texture and
> appearance of various fibers. To all of the male members of this
> newsgroup, I apologize. I am speaking of most non-stitching men. There
> are some men who do appreciate the beauty of band samplers and the like
> but I still think they prefer "pictures".

You may be right, in general... I just wanted to share an example of a guy
who *doesn't* prefer pictures. My husband stitches and he likes geometric
designs. His two finished pieces so far are a square blackwork piece from
New Stitches #2 and a square piece on Davosa with a variety of stitches in
several Caron fibers (he likes the textures and colors of fibers so much
that last time I had a "25% off one item" coupon at the local needlework
shop, he used it to buy himself _Fiber Fantasy_.)

--Lana
la...@math.brown.edu

CWCOTD

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

My husband is very supportive of my stitching, but I've noticed that when
I do band samplers, he'll ask me "when do you know its finished?" At
least with a picture, he knows when to compliment me (kind of like knowing
when to applaud at a concert) A non-stitcher may be more comfortable with
something more concrete like a picture. I've found that when I'm watching
someone else do something with which I'm not familiar, I'm more
comfortable when I can "see" where the project is going. Karen

Wig & Judy Graves

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

Golf pair wrote:

> My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
> and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
> even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
> way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
> why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
> rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

Years ago my DH commented that he really didn't understand the
attraction of samplers (same thing - they were originally to teach
youngsters the alphabet, but I knew my alphabet, so why bother?). Years
ago that caused me anxiety. Now we've been married for 15 years and I
long ago realized that when it came right down to it, my husband really
didn't care how I decorated the house (as long as he didn't have to ask
permission to sit anywhere) so I'd just hang what I like! And boy do I
like samplers. Band samplers, reproductions, you name it!

BTW, my DH has an unusual hobby, so I do get lots of indirect support
from him. He designs and plays historical simulations (ie war games).
Sometimes these include little lead figures that he has to scrape and
paint himself (little = appx. 3/4 of an inch). The only difference in
our hobbies is that his has become self-supporting. He now markets his
own games; I just stitch and spend.

Judy

skemartin

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

>golf...@aol.com (Golf pair) wrote:
>
>>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
>>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
>>why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
>>rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

I can't remember the last time I worked a piece that was only XXXs.
Frankly, plain old XXXs bore me. I like the challenge of band samplers
and if I'd never discovered them I would have given up stitching long,
long ago.

My DH and DD first used to tease me, saying "Haven't you learned your
alphabet yet?", but now, even though neither of them are stitchers, they
both enjoy looking at the intricate patterns some of the stitches make.

Remember, samplers need not be just in bands. There are some gorgeous
ones that are squares, hearts, etc., and some that have holidays or
special occasions as the theme.

Sally in WV

skemartin

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

pmb...@mail.usask.ca (P.M. Burnham) wrote:

>I am a stitcher and I find samplers tedious as well. I have never yet
>found a sampler appealing, but that is just me. I have never bought a
>sampler, I have never stitched a sampler, and I don't really take all
>that good of a look at them when I see finished or in progress
>samplers. This is just me (so please don't freak out and send me lots
>of nasty email)... this is just what I tend to want when I am
>stitching....
> My DF doesn't seem to be very interested in samplers either (my
>grandma has some up in her house and I don't think he or anyone in the
>family other than me has noticed that!)....in fact he doesn't seem to
>be too interested in anything I stitch until it starts to really look
>like something (ie has a face!).
>
>Pam

Pam, how can you say that you find samplers tedious if you've never taken
a good look at them, much less stitched one? You are, of course, welcome
to your own opinions, but let's don't label something until you know more
about it.

If you've never found a sampler you've liked, you're obviously looking in
the wrong places! Search out some samplers by Emie Bishop (Charity
Sampler, Faith Sampler, et al) - they are absolutely exquisite. And have
you seen Linda Barry's "Elizabethan Treasures"? That one is stunning.

Samplers don't have to be in bands and they also don't have to have an
alphabet. Adapt one to your own preferences.

As one of the older commercials said "Try it. You'll like it!"

Sally in WV

BearHarges

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

My DH loves them and would love me to more of them.I personally prefer
pictures.But I found a comprimise TW Castle Sampler and her English
Cottage sampler.

lamb

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96
to skemartin

skemartin wrote:

> pmb...@mail.usask.ca (P.M. Burnham) wrote:
>
> >I am a stitcher and I find samplers tedious as well. I have never yet
> >found a sampler appealing, but that is just me. I have never bought a
> >sampler, I have never stitched a sampler, and I don't really take all
> >that good of a look at them when I see finished or in progress
> >samplers. This is just me (so please don't freak out and send me lots
> >of nasty email)... this is just what I tend to want when I am
> >stitching....
> > My DF doesn't seem to be very interested in samplers either (my
> >grandma has some up in her house and I don't think he or anyone in the
> >family other than me has noticed that!)....in fact he doesn't seem to
> >be too interested in anything I stitch until it starts to really look
> >like something (ie has a face!).
> >
> >Pam
> Dear Pam-Let me know if you care to sell those samplers you say no one seems to care about. I really mean it, I absolutly LOVE samplers and I
would be interested. You can e-mail me at m...@enter.net. The older the
samplar the better!-Marie

Kim Salazar

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Dear Gp,

My husband likes the geometry of band samplers and countwork in
general. He especially likes the sampler I made for his office. The
stitched area is about 6 inches wide by 4 feet long, and is worked
entirely in cranberry silk on 26 count ecru linen.

On it I put a collection of period patterns from my book and some from
other sources, along with the quotation:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for
they are subtle and quick to anger."

I edged it all around with 2 inches of black linen, and hung it
scroll-style with a chain and bar at the top.

This is the third sampler I've designed and worked for him. Each new
job merits a new wall decoration. The "retired" ones (along with
others I made for myself) hang in our bedroom.

Kim Salazar
sal...@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/salazar

Linda Deugau

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Hi Everyone,

Add my DH to the list, he doesn't like samplers of any type, shape or
size. He doesn't care for geometric designs like Jean Hilton's,
either, who is one of my favourite designers. Big sigh!!

He likes "pictures" especially" if they end up looking like a
painting. He likes MLI's, Mirabilia's and Paula Vaughn's.

Don't get me wrong, he is very supportive of my "habit", but his
tastes are different than mine, which is okay with me. I still stitch
what I want and he gets to pay for the framing :) hee, hee!!! Hey,
he's gotta feel a part of all this, right????

So I guess many of our "significant others" feel the same way about
samplers.

Take care, Linda :) (Flit on #stitch)

pmb...@mail.usask.ca (P.M. Burnham) wrote:

>golf...@aol.com (Golf pair) wrote:

>>My husband does not like any of my samplers. He says they are only lines
>>and he just doesn't like them. He always likes my pictures but doesn't
>>even look at my work if it is a sampler. My friend's husband is the same
>>way and I'm wondering if most men feel this same way. He can't understand
>>why I'm always doing the alphabet and what's so pretty about all different
>>rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

>I am a stitcher and I find samplers tedious as well. I have never yet

Norse Hedgehog

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

KPaules531 wrote:

> My FORMER boyfriend hated my favorite piece. It's called "Collector's
> Diamond" by Diane Evens. It uses about a dozen different fibers in shades
> of ecru to tan and about 15 different stitches that I accented with
> several antique buttons, including a beautiful potrati button from the
> eatly 1900's. It has won several awards including a first place at SOXS
> VF in 1995 and my first (and only, so far) Best Of Show at the first
> annual Needlework Exhibition at Montpelier Mansion in Laurel Maryland in
> 1995. He thought it was bland. (Please excuse the blatent sexual
> stereotypes that are about to follow.) I've come to the conclusion that

> men like "pictures". They don't appreciate the differences in texture and
> appearance of various fibers. To all of the male members of this
> newsgroup, I apologize. I am speaking of most non-stitching men. There
> are some men who do appreciate the beauty of band samplers and the like
> but I still think they prefer "pictures".
snip
Congratulations on your awards, but I have to admit, I also prefer
"pictures" to samplers. They just don't do a thing for me. Isn't it
lucky that we don't all like the same things? However, I had always
thought that with these knockers I must be a gal, so maybe this isn't
a gal guy thing, just a "thing".

--
The Norse Hedgehog, Sandy

\\\\\\//
\\\\\\\\///
\ @ \\\\\///
< /\\\\\\\////
_// _//

Wombat

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Well, the hubster may get it, but then he also just says "Enh" or
"Mph" when I bring home a new chart, geometric or painterly. Unless it is
a chart for a round engined aircraft, that is. Those he will admit a
liking for.

He can appreciate the stitching and can tell when something is well or
badly done. Stitching just doesn't thrill him. That's ok. I don't want
to learn to fly or drive racecars. He likes to tease me though. I
recently finished a section of bargello and he declared I had just done
the "Drunken Stitch", because it wobbled all over the canvas so.

Wombat
Darwin was adopted.

Linda Kovacs

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

writes:
|> He can't understand
|> ... what's so pretty about all different

|> rows. I'd like to hear about what other non-stitching spouses think.

My husband has the knack of looking at the individual bands and seeing
how pretty they are, as well as the overall effect. He likes any craft
I do, thinks it's wonderful (even if I don't). The only complaint I
ever heard from him was "when are you going to make something for me?"
(most of what I make is for gifts).
--

Linda Kovacs (kova...@vnet.ibm.com)
My opinions are my own; if IBM shares them, they haven't told me.

Phoebe Carroll

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

Lane teases me that I should know my alphabet by now. There are only 21
samplers hanging in our entryway. Phoebe

Victor Robert Eisenman

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

Hi Everyone:
My boyfriend takes it one step further. He doesn't understand why I don't
wait until I retire to do that stuff. It takes so long. However he is
noticing that everythig can fall apart, but as long as I'm stitching and
designing, I'm a happy contented person. Go figure?
Dorsey

Lula

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

Many people are more visual oriented--they like to see things they
"recognize".
Same reason why many people don't understand the subtle beauty of
abstract art.

Since many men don't stitch--they don't understand the purpose behind
stitching a band sampler or even why someone would stitch at all!
They need to be "educated".

Band samplers may be boring to some individuals because they lack the
knowledge to see the workmanship behind the stitches and many of the
band samplers are pastel in coloring as well as monochromatic in color
schemes----band samplers may look like a page of unbroken "text" to
these individuals.

I myself admire band samplers and the ones I like best always have some
sort of "visual" to break up the bands of stitching---for example--an
openwork technique of hardanger or some other "pictorial" motif.

Each to their own style....that's what makes needlework an enjoyable
experience as well as individualistic.

Lula from Wooly Dreams Design

MonaLassy

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

In article <52u1vo$s...@emerald.nb.net>, diana slivinska <di...@nb.net>
writes:

>years ago i started TWs Fantasy Sampler (it's still in the UFO pile,
>pending completion of the borders...sigh). my then-boyfriend didn't
>understand why she "spoiled" the picture with "those ABCs". historical
>explanations didn't fly with him, either. i finally gave up on the
>explanation...he just didn't get it!

I dont care too much for samplers, myself, but, as everyone knows, due to
a previous post, I am starting her Castle sampler soon.
Mona

Two x over

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

it must be a guy thing...my hubby is not into band samplers at all.....