Does ANYONE like ironing?

Pat Porter

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
My DH can never understand how I can manage to iron my needlework with one
hand but can`t manage the ordinary, boring stuff! He sat down to a MARATHON
stint of it last night, bless him. Mind you I avoid as much as possible -
tumbledry it and lay it flat on the bed until it`s cool, then put it away.
Unfortunately that method doesn`t work for everything!!! We once had an old
bachelor friend who just ironed the collars, cuffs and fronts of his
shirts - didn`t see why he should iron bits that weren`t going to show!

Pat Porter

Shirley Shone

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
In article <T46B4.1796$5b5....@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, Pat
Porter <j.po...@dtn.ntl.com> writes

Could he have been in the Navy Pat. When I got married to my DH who was
in the RN he gave me a lesson on ironing his uniform shirts.

First the sleeves,
Then the chest,
Leave the front,
And b***** the rest.

Well it has not got the same ring to it so the word is bugger. I'll go
and wash my mouth and keyboard out with soap. LOL.

--
Shirley Shone

KDLark

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Pat, I just finished my week's ironing before I sat down to read the news
group! No, it is not a fun thing at all, in fact, I was mad at myself for
having the audacity to wear two shirts that needed to be ironed this week --
what was I thinking? I only iron shirts, mostly my husband's -- I used to iron
pants, but if you fold 'm and bang 'm on your knees a few time right after
yanking them from the drier, they seem to be okay without it.
A needlework project is just a flat piece, you don't have to do all the turning
around stuff you have to do with a shirt, just remind your DH of that.
Some people I know iron blue jeans and underwear.
I think that's taking it a little too far!

Katrina L.

Jim Mc Namara - Future Collectibles

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I iron my own shirts, pants, and sometimes blue jeans when I'm wearing a
dress shirt and sports coat with it. Don't see the harm.

Pat Porter <j.po...@dtn.ntl.com> wrote in message

kathy albright

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I hate ironing and very rarely do it. If I am traveling, I will have
the front desk send the stuff out for pressing.

KathyA-Houston

mary zuhn

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
My DH thinks I'm a bit strange, but I love to iron. Sometimes I even
pull stuff out of the closet just to touch it up a bit. I often set up
my board in the living roon in front of the TV....actually it's about
the only task I can accomplish while watching/listening.
mary

Xoria33

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
>Some people I know iron blue jeans and underwear.
>I think that's taking it a little too far!

For a long time I ironed all clothes, sheets, pillowcases, everything. My mom
was, and still is, a fanatic about wrinkles in clothes. I now only iron our
shirts, dresses, and such. I do not mind ironing...

Keep Stitching and Smiling,

Renee Morris
http://members.aol.com/Xoria33/Index.html

Alison Hendon

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I don't mind ironing IF I can keep the ironing board up; have enough
room to work; have enough room in the closet to hang the clothes so
they don't wrinkle again. None of these are true at the moment and I
don't iron...

Alison

MsKabibble

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I HATE to iron. Of course, that does not include stitching. that I can do in
no time flat. but, anything else, forget it. I try to get most things out of
the dryer as soon as it stops, and usually then I can just hang them up or fold
them and they'll be fine. DH and DS'sdress shirts go to the cleaners to be
laundered and pressed. If I'm despeerate I give them to my mom to iron when
she comes over. She LOVES to iron. guess I didn't inherit that from her.

Ginger

To reply by email remove the blank

DesiHorse1

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I solve that problem, I only buy or make myself clothes that don't require
ironing. My DD wears scrubs to work, and I will iron them for her when she is
really tired or rushed. Other than that, my ironing consists of yards of
fabric for quilts.
Back in the old days when married and my kids were little, everything had to be
starched and ironed. When polys came out, I gave ironing and refuse to do it.

>My DH can never understand how I can manage to iron my needlework with one
>>hand but can`t manage the ordinary, boring stuff! He sat down to a MARATHON
>>stint of it last night, bless him. Mind you I avoid as much as possib

Sarah in So Calif
the reason a dog is so popular, he wags his tail instead of his tongue

Cyn

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00

Cbsnoopy2001

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Iron????? Years ago I paid my mother $5.00 to iron my yellow jumpsuit. The
ironing boards in storage(been there 3 years) I did unpack the iron and you all
know for what reason!

Seanette Blaylock

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Alison Hendon had some very interesting things to say about "Re: Does
ANYONE like ironing?":

>I don't mind ironing IF I can keep the ironing board up; have enough
>room to work; have enough room in the closet to hang the clothes so
>they don't wrinkle again. None of these are true at the moment and I
>don't iron...

I used to have a real talent for burning myself with the iron [recent
efforts to uncrease Aida seem to indicate that I might no longer have
this ability], but still don't iron clothes. DH's office is quite
casual, I'm at home all day, and neither of us seems to buy clothes
that call for so much fuss. ;-)
--
Seanette Blaylock
X/USA/H+(Bob)/-/-/1C(HFM Felix)/1F/"Cat in Chair", Leisure Arts/XNCr/A/D/-/SF/-/-/b++/

Kim McAnnally

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
I don't iron. Period. The only thing I use my iron for is xstitch projects. DH
wears uniforms now but they are sent to the cleaners so I don't have to fool
with them.
Kim

NEW! Email catalog available now - full of pictures.
Links to catalog pages on main page.
<http://members.aol.com/fabrics2u/index.html>

Gusianna

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
If I can get myself to the ironing I love doing it. I plug in a movie (or 2
or 3) and just coast away with brain in neutral. Very therapeutic actually,
and productive. Now I just have to figure out how to motivate myself to do
it more regularily.
Gussy

Barbp77

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
When my son (now 18) was around three years old, I set up the ironing board in
the kitchen. He came in-walked slowly around it in amazement-and said-"Oh
Mama-what's that?"

Barb P

Liz /cozit

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Personally, I hate the idea, until I'm doing it. Then again, I'd rather
be ironing out material I'm about to cut than everyday ironing
(thankfully noone in the family has very much that needs ironing if put
away from the drier quickly).

It's not so much the ironing that I dislike, it's the time spent on it.

-Liz (who'd rather be stitching :-)

Pat Porter wrote:

> My DH can never understand how I can manage to iron my needlework with one
> hand but can`t manage the ordinary, boring stuff! He sat down to a MARATHON

Marlene Frisbie

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Pat, I once had a neighbor who made it her mission in life NOT to iron
anything! She would hang up on a phone call if the dryer buzzed, so that she
could pull the clothes out and hang them up before they started to wrinkle. She
once told me that for a long time, the only things she had to iron were her
tablecloths. Then her husband got an extra-wide recliner (he was a bit
extra-wide himself!) and she found that, if she folded the tablecloths nicely
and put them under the seat cushion for about a week, DH had "ironed" them for
her!

Now, as for myself, I once gave a great scare to my dog when she was about 2
years old. You see, my ironing board makes a great squeak when it opens - and
the poor dog didn't know what that noise was, since she'd never heard it before.
;-)

Marlene in Woodstock, IL

COLVIN

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
This thread certainly attracted a lot of responses!

I guess I have to put my two cents in and say I don't like ironing, but I do
it. DH has to have shirts and trousers ironed for work. DD irons her own
now, thankfully. I stopped buying clothes for myself that need ironing (my
last dress was from DEVA and goes from washer to dryer to closet).

In an attempt to streamline my ironing and mending chores, I started putting
things to be ironed and/or mended in one basket and then spending a day just
doing that. Well, as you can imagine, that didn't last long. Now I'm
looking at the full basket with a pile on top about two feet high. When DH
needs a shirt I go rooting through the pile. I can't seem to stay caught
up, and will probably put the basket in a closet so I don't have to look at
it..........

I read somewhere that if you put aluminum foil between the ironing board pad
and the cover, that you don't have to iron both sides of sleeves, etc. Has
anyone ever tried that? Does it work?

kc

Nina K Pettis

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Marlene Frisbie wrote:
<snip>

> Now, as for myself, I once gave a great scare to my dog when she was about 2
> years old. You see, my ironing board makes a great squeak when it opens - and
> the poor dog didn't know what that noise was, since she'd never heard it before.
> ;-)

That's exactly why I don't iron; my cat is TERRIFIED of
metal-against-metal noise, loud or quiet! So out of consideration for
his acousticophobia, I have refrained from ironing ... for a looooooong
time.

Nina (who has been known to sneak the ironing board into her home office
long enough to iron XSed pieces, and will do that today!)
--
Professional proofreading doesn't cost - it pays!
ni...@ninaproofs.com http://www.ninaproofs.com

Linda D.

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00

Ummm...errr....I don't 'like' ironing, but I do it. How does
one get away without ironing with all the 100% cotton out there. All
our t-shirts look much better ironed, as do jeans, khakis, etc.

take care, Linda :)
Linda.....bc.ca :)
(who is still working on Mirabilia's Fairy Moon...(sigh)

Deborah Pesa

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
> Ummm...errr....I don't 'like' ironing, but I do it. How does
>one get away without ironing with all the 100% cotton out there. All
>our t-shirts look much better ironed, as do jeans, khakis, etc.
>
>take care, Linda :)

I don't like ironing - I'm also not very good at it. Me ironing a shirt
anywhere near my mother causes her to grab the iron and do it herself <G> The
only things I have that get ironed are my blouses for work - they're rayon and
don't look right if they're not ironed. Everything else is either removed
quickly from the dryer or hung up while still wet. I draw the line at ironing
jeans - jeans are not meant to be crisp!
Deborah Pesa - New York City
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/1646
WIP: Flora-StitchWorld, A Midsummer Night's Fairy - Mirabilia, Wee Scottie -
Heart in Hand

Dogs laugh, but they laugh with their tails. - Max Eastman

Karen C - California

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Ironing? The only thing I iron is XS.

When I left my abusive first husband, Mom came to help me get settled, and
asked where my ironing board was. I told her I didn't have one, so she bought
one. I can count on one hand the number of times it's been used. Usually as a
table.

My grandmother never owned a storebought ironing board -- she had several
layers of flannel wrapped around a large piece of wood (about 2 feet by 3
feet), which she set on her dining room table. When I need to iron some XS,
it's easier to grab a big fluffy bath towel and put it on the table (which I
inherited from her) than to go out to the laundry room, wrestle the ironing
board up from its place behind the cupboard, shoo the cat out of my way, carry
it indoors, figure out where to set it up in this tiny house with too few
electrical outlets, etc......

I suppose, though, that this is the wrong group in which to offer my barely
used ironing board for sale? Next time I call Goodwill, I'm going to remember
to throw it out on the front porch for them along with all the other stuff.

P.S. My tablecloths are folded in a drawer, and just before I put them on the
table, I toss them in the dryer with a damp towel. Takes out the wrinkles, and
the fold lines, too.

Finished 2/24/2000 - Sweet 16 (Silver Lining)
WIP:Mermaid of the Pearls, Teen Creed, California Sampler, America the
Beautiful (Nimble Needle), antique green doll (Vervaco)
Don't risk your on-line privileges! I forward all Spam to administration.

Suzynov

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Katrina said: >Some people I know iron blue jeans and underwear.

>I think that's taking it a little too far!

I knew my first marriage was doomed when my (then) DH complained that I did NOT
iron his socks and underwear! He said his mom always did. I told him if he
wanted them ironed, either he could do it or his MOM could do it, but "I" was
NOT going to! LOL

Suzy

Polly

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <38d6748b...@news.telus.net>, per...@island.net (Linda
D.) wrote:

> Ummm...errr....I don't 'like' ironing, but I do it. How does
>one get away without ironing with all the 100% cotton out there. All
>our t-shirts look much better ironed, as do jeans, khakis, etc.
>
>take care, Linda :)

>Linda.....bc.ca :)
>(who is still working on Mirabilia's Fairy Moon...(sigh)

Well, I was in an antiques mall the other week and saw a mangle and I must
admit, I wanted it. So i guess i like to iron. It is a meditiation for me
and a way to bring a small pocket of albeit temporary order to a greatly
disordered world.

Sheepishly............

Polly M. Law/Thrums End Art Studio
in the beautiful Mid Hudson Valley of NY, USDA zone 5

**********************

Look for the Flying Teapot, your assurance of Delight!
<http://www.thrumsend.com>

Our motto: "Insolitores Res Contiguerunt!"
************************

All P.M.Law/T.E.A.S. email is meant to be read in a spirit of calm joviality, not the LIVID ANTAGONISM usually inferred to electronic discourse

Mirjam Bruck Cohen

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
The GOOD thing about ironing is that it s One Job where you immidiatly see
results!
I have cottons silk linen all natural and they like to be ioironed , I do
iron SITTING down , sometimes while watching the Tv news !!!!
I have amangle as well , but use it only for the Flat stuff , hate to
bother with all this comlpicated shirt folding , anf Jate this Mid stiff
line it makes on the back of shirts !!!!
have ages of Ironing behind me and sure hope to do it many more years !
mirjam

Deb Wise

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Thankfully the only things that really need to be ironed every week are DH's
pants and the collars on his dress shirts. Everything else is removed from the
dryer as soon as the buzzer goes off. I only buy t-shirts and jeans for myself.
That's all I'm comfortable in and if I have to iron them then it isn't all that
comfortable. Deb Wise

Pam Furry

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
So Mary, be on the lookout for that HUGE box I'm sending right out, the
first of many coming your way .......to satisfy your love of ironing, of
course, not my sloth! LOL! Always happy to help out a fellow stitcher!!

Pam in CA

Robert Johnson

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

Pat Porter wrote in message ...

>My DH can never understand how I can manage to iron my needlework with one
>hand but can`t manage the ordinary, boring stuff! He sat down to a
MARATHON
>stint of it last night, bless him. Mind you I avoid as much as possible -
>tumbledry it and lay it flat on the bed until it`s cool, then put it away.
>Unfortunately that method doesn`t work for everything!!! We once had an
old
>bachelor friend who just ironed the collars, cuffs and fronts of his
>shirts - didn`t see why he should iron bits that weren`t going to show!
>
>Pat Porter

After 17 years...the trick is, marry an ex-squaddie. I'm left-handed (or
cack-handed as my Dad tells me), and all I have to do is get the ironing
board out and start putting tramlines down a sleeve to be told 'oh leave it,
I'll do it.' (Admittedly with an air of extreme martydom). He seems to think
that the left-handedness has something to do with it.

I suppose the low point was last week when he decided before he went on a
course that it was better to teach nearly 10yo DS to iron his own school
shirts than to have me bodge it up. (Like DS was really interested......

Andrea, Basingstoke, England.

BCMcNamara

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
I jokingly tell people that ironing is against my religious beliefs.
Linda the non-ironer from Erie

Stephanie Peters

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Andrea wrote:
>After 17 years...the trick is, marry an ex-squaddie. I'm left-handed (or
>cack-handed as my Dad tells me), and all I have to do is get the ironing
>board out and start putting tramlines down a sleeve to be told 'oh leave it,
>I'll do it.' (Admittedly with an air of extreme martydom). He seems to think
>that the left-handedness has something to do with it.
>
>I suppose the low point was last week when he decided before he went on a
>course that it was better to teach nearly 10yo DS to iron his own school
>shirts than to have me bodge it up. (Like DS was really interested......
Low point?!!! Your husband is teaching your 10 year old son to iron and you
are upset about it? Just sit back in your stitching chair and enjoy not
doing the ironing, whatever the reason.

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level. It's cheaper." Quentin Crisp 1908 - 1999
Steph Peters, Manchester, England
email: delete REMOVE_NOSPAM from st...@sandbenders.demon.REMOVE_NOSPAM.co.uk
Tatting, lace & stitching page <http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/index.htm>

Carol Giorda

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
Yes, I actually like ironing. It is probably my most favorite household chore.
I try to iron a few things every day and watch the news or something. I iron
napkins, tablecloths and pillowcases as well as t-shirts, etc. Call me nuts.

Carol Giorda

House-mouse

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
I iron everything and I starch quite a few things. Nothing beats a crisp
fresh ironed sheet on the bed, or maybe it is a hang over from my nursing
days in British hospitals.
Gabrielle in GB
wip. sampler from Stitchery world L+L Earth Dancer Spirit of XStitch 96

Golf pair

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
I love to iron too. Probably because I hate wrinkles clothes. I never
understand when someone says their clothes never need ironing. I have a good
dryer but my clothes always need ironing. Pat

Karen C - California

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
>I never
>understand when someone says their clothes never need ironing.

OK, how about, my clothes don't need ironing as much as that chart needs
stitching?

Deborah Pesa

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
>>I never
>>understand when someone says their clothes never need ironing.

This is a choice made in the department store. I try not to buy clothing that
requires special care - no ironing, no dry cleaning. This is aided by the fact
that I don't have to dress up for work ( jeans, knit tops, jersey) I'll
probably have to buckle down and actually 'buy' an iron when I go job hunting
later this year.

Deborah Pesa - New York

http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/1646
WIP: Flora-StitchWorld, A Midsummer Night's Fairy - Mirabilia, Wee Scottie -

Heart in Hand DONE!!

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
- AGNES SLIGH TURNBULL

News

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
Another advantage of working-at-home :-)

Lesa

LS Designs
http://www.lesasteeledesigns.com

"Deborah Pesa" <dp...@aol.comthedog> wrote in message

Nina K Pettis

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
News wrote:

> Another advantage of working-at-home :-)
>
> Lesa
>
> LS Designs
> http://www.lesasteeledesigns.com
>
> "Deborah Pesa" <dp...@aol.comthedog> wrote ...

> > This is a choice made in the department store. I try not to buy clothing
> > that requires special care - no ironing, no dry cleaning. This is
> > aided by the fact that I don't have to dress up for work...

Another at-home worker here! I wear sweats in the winter,
"sundress"-type thingies in the summer; there's an opaque pop-over near
the door so I won't shock the FedEx guy. Even though the traffic can be
brutal (I nearly tripped over a cat the other day!!!), I love my home
office.

Nina