Firehouse Angel

Jan Lennie

Nov 7, 2003, 3:20:46 AM11/7/03
The angel has landed !!!!!!
My postman has just delivered it - only had a quick glance as getting ready
to take 3 year old to playgroup - looking good , What a lot of work you've
put in Tia !
Will settle down to start this afternoon , take care
Jan

Jan Lennie

Nov 7, 2003, 8:57:42 AM11/7/03
Wish I was coming with you , I love spending time wandering round Art
Galleries and museums - we had some wonderful ones in Liverpool when I was
child - my dad used to take me. Now whenever I can I go to Oxford (with
it's 'dreaming spires') and visit the Bodleian . I love the London museums
but they're really more for a big trip - I used to take Jamie (now 15 nearly
16)but he's not so interested but my new little protégé (my 3 year old
Ellie ) is beginning to show an interest - I can foresee lots of girlie
trips ahead . Aaaahhhhh bliss !!!
Take care and namaste
Jan

<new...@in2000.freeserve.co.uk>
> opined:

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Nov 7, 2003, 2:41:34 PM11/7/03
>From: "Jan Lennie" new...@in2000.freeserve.co.uk

>The angel has landed !!!!!!

>My postman has just delivered it - only had a quick glance ......... What a

lot of work you've put in Tia !

HOORAY -- glad to know it has made its way across the pond safely :-))! As
for the work -- well, once I started stitching the color in the lower right
corner (a dark blue I.A.P.) as agreed upon, I sorta had to do as much as I did!
That *($*&#$*^ swathe of dark blue just wouldn't end -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow
>^;;^<
.

PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^< Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 8, 2003, 1:01:48 AM11/8/03
I was Exposed to Van Gogh in a very early age, i was always amazed at
the way he arranged his colors , later as i got my first Glasses and
saw that he painted the way i see without glasses i started to wonder
if he wasn`t A`astigmatic. Who knows how many great and interesting
art we have , only due to `problem` in thre artist`s sight.
mirjam

>We just got back a while ago and it was a great day with my husband. We drove
>there and there we are. We enter the exhibit. Of course in my usual way, I
>ignore all the blurbs about everything...impressionism, Dada, Cube, all the
>different periods in modern art and such.
>
>I say to Mark, "Gee, we saw that once before at another museum..." He didn't
>recognize it. Then, boom. We turn the next corner and there it is, "Water
>Lillies" by Monet. I say, hey, that's usually in The MOMA! My husband says,
>"Duh, this is the MOMA collection on loan while they remodel." Duh.
>
>It was wonderful. van Gogh's work brought tears to my eyes. Such torment.
>
>Victoria
>

>On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 13:57:42 -0000, "Jan Lennie" <new...@in2000.freeserve.co.uk>

Jan Lennie

Nov 8, 2003, 3:17:19 AM11/8/03
Claude Monet was almost blind when he created his most famous (possibly) art
work Waterlilies. Van Gogh may well have had eye problems but his painting
style is thought to have symbolised his mental state (the agitated
blotchiness and daubing with dashed brushstrokes.
Take care
Jan
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" <mir...@actcom.co.il> wrote in message

Lula

Nov 8, 2003, 5:10:59 AM11/8/03
An interesting thought & theory Mirjam, that someone's way or style of
creating art might be due to a physical handicap.

On the thought of seeing with nearsighted eyes, I've thought of this too
because it makes sense if one needs to wear corrective lenses and seeing
everything in a blur of color without them......now wonder, did Van Gogh
wear spectacles?

As I recall from the dry bones study of art history, expressed in a very
simplified version.......the impressionist artist strove to capture a
"moment" in time painting with quick paintbrush strokes, catching the
essence of the subject and the atmospheric changes of light and
reflections to give an "impression" of the whole.........this
impressionistic style of painting caused painters to move outdoors and
begin painting in "plein air"

In doing so, these artists were freeing their art from of centuries of
painting posed subjects, rigid, stuffy subject matter, getting away from
using typical heroic, mythological, allergorical subjects as well as
lightening color palettes.
These artists were rejecting rules and regulations set by institutions
such as the French Beaux-Arts Academy, basically, rejecting the old
artistic heirarchies.

Interestingly, it was art from the east that influenced the
impressionists, especially Japanes woodcuts with their expressive lines
and colors which became the rage of Paris and Europe.....Japonisme
influenced and changed western art dramatically.

It's no surprise the original impressionistic movement started to
unravel within the first few years as there were many diversions into
other stylistic movements under the umbrella of
impressionism........many artists together will divide up into their own
style camps.

All permanently affected the course of world art as the original
movement spawned other movements by artists & followers finding their
own styles......among them Van Gogh and Gaugin.......each of these men
were finding their own way using color, texture and line......at the
time these two were painting, some labeled them neo-impressionists!

Van Gogh's use of color is very emotional and if one looks closely at
his work......can see the oriental influence in the way Van Gogh uses
linework and color similar to Japanese prints......the expressive brush
stroke lines also reminds me of Chinese calligraphy.
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Bmciowa

Nov 8, 2003, 8:34:18 AM11/8/03

>An interesting thought & theory Mirjam, that someone's way or style of
>creating art might be due to a physical handicap.
>
>On the thought of seeing with nearsighted eyes, I've thought of this too
>because it makes sense if one needs to wear corrective lenses and seeing
>everything in a blur of color without them......now wonder, did Van Gogh
>wear spectacles?

Somewhere in the depths of my memory, I seem to recall reading that Van Gogh
was addicted to Absinthe, which causes visual disturbances. I think I also
might have read that he could have suffered from migraines, and I know from
personal experience that THAT can cause visual disturbances.
Even if either of these is true, it does not diminish Van Gogh's art one iota,
however.

Sara
WIPS: ?

Liz Hampton

Nov 8, 2003, 11:54:12 AM11/8/03

> Somewhere in the depths of my memory, I seem to recall reading that Van Gogh
> was addicted to Absinthe, which causes visual disturbances. I think I also
> might have read that he could have suffered from migraines, and I know from
> personal experience that THAT can cause visual disturbances.
> Even if either of these is true, it does not diminish Van Gogh's art one iota,
> however.
>
> Sara

That's for sure. If I took my glasses off and tried to paint something, it
wouldn't look anything like Van Gogh's. :-)))))))) I think I'll stick to
solid colors on indoor and outdoor walls. :-)
Liz from Humbug

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 8, 2003, 4:56:43 PM11/8/03
Thank you Lula for the interesting wonderful concised lesson.
It reminded me of long read books and documents ,, you are a great
teacher. I Too remamber all this explanations , still i think Besides
the ideaology ,, Eye problems hearing problems etc,, should have been
part of the Unique background Shaping and influencing the Artist`s
work. I remember while in high school modelling , for group of
painters,,, I didn`t look the same in all works , one elongated me ,
one widened me , etc,,,
mirjam

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 9, 2003, 1:04:59 AM11/9/03
Aprpos Lit Art , we just got pictures from the exhibition in IUSB ,
were My colleagues, One palestinians and me exhibit, and i never saw
such wxcellent lighting systems ,,, all works look equally lit , good
bright but not harsh light ,,,,,,,really wonderful. When curating or
exhibiting this one of the most problematic issue.
Ein Harod Museum , was built to have Extraoridinaire Natural light,
which makes it a most special place to show.
mirjam

>I found it interesting that when close up to the canvas you can see canvas
>through the painting. This was prevalent with Matisse also. I was never that
>close to a vanGogh before. There were no barriers, but the paintings were under
>glass. This was the worst lit exhibit I've seen, but it was brilliant to see
>the art.
>
>Victoria
>

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 08:17:19 -0000, "Jan Lennie" <new...@in2000.freeserve.co.uk>

Lula

Nov 9, 2003, 12:41:09 AM11/9/03
Mirjam, one of the most enjoyable sessions for me in art school was
viewing the results of a classroom full of students given the same
assignment.
It was so interesting to see the variety of results......all those
individual interpretations on a given topic......no two versions were
ever the same, with some of the artistic results being amazingly
creative and others very dull......

As you've noted Mirjam, there are many factors in play when it comes to
"seeing" art such as one's background environment, physical and
emotional makeup that influence our feelings on what we're seeing, as
well as the level of technical skills required to accomplish the art
assignment.

An interesting side note: in a recent seminar on the subject of writing
and illustrating children's books.....one editor (opinion) said, the
bottom line in getting through the manuscript review process was
sometimes based on an editor's personal taste......such as a story
featuring cats as the main characters read by an editor disliking cats!

As they say, art is all subjective......we know what we like!

Ellice

Nov 11, 2003, 10:40:06 AM11/11/03
On 11/8/03 5:10 AM,"Lula" <wooly...@earthlink.net> posted:

*snip*

> As I recall from the dry bones study of art history, expressed in a very
> simplified version.......the impressionist artist strove to capture a
> "moment" in time painting with quick paintbrush strokes, catching the
> essence of the subject and the atmospheric changes of light and
> reflections to give an "impression" of the whole.........this
> impressionistic style of painting caused painters to move outdoors and
> begin painting in "plein air"

*snipping Lula's great information*

Having been really lucky to spend a lot of time in France, if you're an
Impressionist buff, well, the Musee D'Orsay is amazing. Beautiful, converted
railway station in Paris, and now home to the Impressionist Collection. Not
only is there an overwhelming amount of art to absorb, walk through, but the
way in which the permanent exhibit is mounted brings so much of the history
of the movement forward. The art (paintings and sculpture) are actually in a
chronological, and movement setting -rather than just by artist. So, as you
walk thru, you see early Monet, with contemporaries, and then later
developments. There is a room with the Pointilists - well, 2 rooms, IIRC -
including the famous Georges Seurat "the Isle de Le Grande Jette" - which
inspired "Sunday in the Park with George" . That is truly amazing, all of
those pointilist paintings - just little dots of paint, layered, and
layered.

There is a Renoir which I had only seen as prints (girls at a piano) and
never really liked - until seeing the glowing light in the original. It was
stunning to me. Mounted in a room with several Degas of the time. And not
far from some Van Gogh. One of the Degas ballerina bronzes - well, a couple
of months later - I was back in DC, and in the Hirshorn (the modern museum)
- and what do I see - but the sculpture that matches the casting I saw in
Paris.

> All permanently affected the course of world art as the original
> movement spawned other movements by artists & followers finding their
> own styles......among them Van Gogh and Gaugin.......each of these men
> were finding their own way using color, texture and line......at the
> time these two were painting, some labeled them neo-impressionists!
>
> Van Gogh's use of color is very emotional and if one looks closely at
> his work......can see the oriental influence in the way Van Gogh uses
> linework and color similar to Japanese prints......the expressive brush
> stroke lines also reminds me of Chinese calligraphy.

Practically the best thing I did in Amsterdam was spending time in the Van
Gogh museum. It's an amazing place. If seeing just one or two of his
paintings together can bring tears to your eyes - imagine 150. On one wall
there is a progression of the self-portraits. To me there is an overwhelming
sense of his self-torture, and brilliance. You can literally see the
progression of his emotional/mental breakdown in the changing presentation
of the pictures. Very amazing, disturbing, wondrous.

I'm glad Vic had a good trip to the museum in Houston. You can always go see
the Mark Rothko's in that separate chapel for a peaceful meditation - huge
canvass of stillness.

I guess it's time for me to do some visiting to the National Gallery. I
often forget how spoiled I am with such easy access - this thread makes me
appreciate it ;^)

ellice

emerald

Nov 11, 2003, 11:36:48 AM11/11/03

"Lula" <wooly...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Mirjam, one of the most enjoyable sessions for me in art school was
> viewing the results of a classroom full of students given the same
> assignment.
> It was so interesting to see the variety of results......all those
> individual interpretations on a given topic......no two versions were
> ever the same, with some of the artistic results being amazingly
> creative and others very dull......

That's what I love about another favourite hobby, quilting! Rarely, if ever,
are two versions of the same pattern identical. It's a wonderful creative
outlet for someone who loves colour and texture.

emerald

Lula

Nov 11, 2003, 8:28:23 PM11/11/03
Van Gogh was driven to produce art......it was his earnest desire to
become a successful painter, so he painted obsessively and very
quickly.
In the nine or so years of his short lived brilliant career, Van Gogh
produced 900 paintings!

Now I'm curious to see all his oil paintings, watercolors,
drawings.......there are some very "fat" volumes of art books featuring
Van Gogh's art in the book shops and would probably take a few hours
just to thumb through for an overview!

During a period of fifteen months in Arles, Van Gogh produced 200
paintings and over100 drawings and watercolors!
Being an artist myself and knowing how expensive art materials are, I
can only imagine how many tubes of oil colors, canvas and other art
materials Van Gogh must have used to produce this impressive body of
artworks.

Van Gogh's fevered drive and working habits probably accounts for spots
of bare canvas showing through in his paintings........in order to paint
that quickly, he obviously had no time to go back and cover every spot
of canvas but to quickly daub the paint on in short quick strokes by
whatever painting tool he was using, a brush, a palette knife, applying
paint to canvas.

For me, it's his "brilliant" color sense, the combinations of exuberant
colors in Van Gogh's palette that draw me along with the expressive line
work, that produces an energy radiating from his paintings......it's an
experience to see a Van Gogh right in front of your eyes in a museum.

---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures

Ellice wrote:

> Practically the best thing I did in Amsterdam was spending time in the Van
> Gogh museum. It's an amazing place. If seeing just one or two of his
> paintings together can bring tears to your eyes - imagine 150. On one wall
> there is a progression of the self-portraits. To me there is an overwhelming
> sense of his self-torture, and brilliance. You can literally see the
> progression of his emotional/mental breakdown in the changing presentation
> of the pictures. Very amazing, disturbing, wondrous.

> ellice

Elizabeth Bonello

Nov 11, 2003, 11:48:42 PM11/11/03

"Bmciowa" <bmc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Absinthe use can cause seizures and hallucinations, so it would make sense
that he would have visual disturbances. There is also a theory that
auditory hallucinations drove him to take that infamous slice off his ear in
an attempt to silence the voices/sounds. There is another theory that he
was schizophrenic, but IMNSHO the Absinthe was his downfall (along with many
others--Oscar Wilde comes to mind).

Starry, Starry Night is my favorite painting!
--
LittleBit

A Cynic is one who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
--Oscar Wilde

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 12, 2003, 3:40:08 AM11/12/03
Lula Good morning , it is a nice rainy day here , and we need rain.

>viewing the results of a classroom full of students given the same
>assignment.
>It was so interesting to see the variety of results......all those
>individual interpretations on a given topic......no two versions were
>ever the same, with some of the artistic results being amazingly
>creative and others very dull......
I read this part with joy, whenever i see the variety of work in one
group i feel so priviliged to witness , Humans` greatest talent,,the
creative drive. I also think this is a great lesson, in many ways it
makes us learn about others and ourselves more than reading thick
books about it. I was also very lucky to curate Group exhibitions that
deal with one Subject, And again the Many variations of one subject ,
were a joy and fun , to mind and heart.

>As you've noted Mirjam, there are many factors in play when it comes to
>"seeing" art
Yes i saw it , as a looker , and absorbed it in many ways. When i
advised in the ministry of Education , Culture and Sport, about
changing the system of Courses for Fiberarts guides, this wa one of
the points i stressed and talked much about , Encouraging students ,
to Look at the variety and enhance it , not copy the teachers blindly.

I started the job after studying the End results of Most groups
through 3 consistent years. To my amazement , i saw in many classes
that all students made an `almost Exact copy of the teacher`s work,,
in my report i wrote that in some classes we had a TV series , like
'Rambo 1 " + "Rambo2" . and what was worse , as i visited the classes
of the first group i studied, they seemed to `produce` pupils who
made a copy of their copy of their teacher.....i stressed to all that
We should teach our students , not only to follow their own feelings,
but that they should Learn to encourage it.
I had constant arguments with one male teacher , who actually Worked
on his students` paintings ....
The year before last i was asked to jury a contest of School kids
drawings, The head Jurist , a gifted artist herself, mentioned yto me
that the level and Variation of works has increased the last years.
Thus AFTER we finnished jurying ,, i asked her to show me the names of
the teachers,, i was delighted to see All were ex students of `my`
changes in the courses.. my revolution succeeded .

>An interesting side note: in a recent seminar on the subject of writing
>and illustrating children's books.....one editor (opinion) said, the
>bottom line in getting through the manuscript review process was
>sometimes based on an editor's personal taste......such as a story
>featuring cats as the main characters read by an editor disliking cats!

Oh well !!!! You should write this note in Big letters ..
It is not an ideal world and we Expect/hope that professional people
in the `deciding` positions , would Know how to overcome or control
their personal `tastes` ,,,, but....

>As they say, art is all subjective......we know what we like!

This is wonderfuly stated , i don`t mind those who in fact know their
own tastes, i could deal with that , as a natural fact. My problem is
with those , who are influenced by the `General Taste` ,,,
thank you for a serious discussion .
mirjam

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 12, 2003, 3:40:17 AM11/12/03
Ach ,,,,Lula ,,,And Elice
you gave me a little 'childhood memoire `.
having lived as a child in Amsterdam , not far away from all the
museums, I was taken a lot to see art. I think there wasn`t much else
to do after WW2, thus people went to the museums.
Several of my Family members were part of the `bohemian` circles
Thus i was exposed to lots of arts.
I also visited Amsterdam Years later after somebody slashed the
"Night Watch" , and they repaired it , in the public place [ people
paid extra for it , to help the repair budget]. So i saw this picture
Back side and spent a whole day watching the experts in `action`.

>Van Gogh was driven to produce art......it was his earnest desire to
>become a successful painter, so he painted obsessively and very
>quickly.

Aren`t Most Artists or creative persons, Driven to make their art?
Not all are as productive, but the drive is there [ i hope] .

>Now I'm curious to see all his oil paintings, watercolors,
>drawings....

I think i have seen a great part of them ,, they are very inspiring ,
some seem very familiar , from seeing them in books ,,,, some look
like remeeting Old friends ,,,,most are fantastic , some less.
mirjam

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 12, 2003, 3:40:15 AM11/12/03
Elice !
while living in Boston i was delighted to see a very nice collection
of the impressionists.
As to the other painters you mention , I am am very lucky and visit
twice a year , in Brusseles Belgium, The Museums in Brusselles are
Excellent they have Art of every period , And of course all this
marvelous Tapestries lace etc..
My favorite Exhibitions the last years were
"Rubens" , all the pictures from Vienna.
"Rik Wouters" Which included also some works of his "influences" like
Cezanne, Rodin .
Paul Delvaux. [1897-1994) who `changed` his style over his life , in
an amazing way.
In Paris 92 hours bt train from Brusseles] i was most impressed with
"Made in France" a collective all including exhibition that was shown
in the Pompidou before they closed for renovations...it had them all
the Greatest artists possible ... a Chance of a lifetime , to see them
all together ....WOW . mirjam Give me a New museum
every day .....

Lynne

Nov 12, 2003, 12:48:53 PM11/12/03
Ah, Mirjam, your reply reminded me of today's poem on The Writer's Almanac,
a product of our National Public Radio:

Poem: "an art student at a certain stage," by Gerald Locklin, from The
Modigliani/Montparnasse Poems (dOOm-AH Books).

an art student at a certain stage

she hisses at her elders,
"he is not considered major nowadays."

i want to ask her why she cares
what he's considered,
why she cares what her guests
think of him,
how highly she herself feels
he should be esteemed,
and whether she does not find often
that she disagrees with those who drive
her to the passive (though aggressive)
voice.

but we have all been students once,
and it's a terrifying thing to be,
so impressed by the glib self-assurance
of the arbiters of fashion,
and as such so easily enlisted into the
(temporary) ranks of the cultural terrorists.

I believe as you do about creativity and what it is and what it isn't and
how is should be allowed to become itself.

- Lynne D.

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" <mir...@actcom.co.il> wrote in message

Ellice

Nov 12, 2003, 2:03:54 PM11/12/03
Great poem, thanks for posting it, Lynne. We don't hear Writer's Almanac til
later in the day. It's always got something interesting.

ellice

On 11/12/03 12:48 PM,"Lynne" <Lynne...@baylor.edu> posted:

Elizabeth Bonello

Nov 12, 2003, 4:49:19 PM11/12/03

"animaux" <ani...@iays.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:48:42 GMT, "Elizabeth Bonello"
> <ebonell...@sbcglobal.net> opined:

> >Absinthe use can cause seizures and hallucinations, so it would make
sense
> >that he would have visual disturbances. There is also a theory that
> >auditory hallucinations drove him to take that infamous slice off his ear
in
> >an attempt to silence the voices/sounds. There is another theory that he
> >was schizophrenic, but IMNSHO the Absinthe was his downfall (along with
many
> >others--Oscar Wilde comes to mind).
> >
> >Starry, Starry Night is my favorite painting!
>
> For the record, the painting is titled, "The Starry Night." Later the
song came
> out and it was "Starry, Starry Night."

Woops! I think of that painting and I hear Don McLain's music!

Thanks for the correction!
--
LittleBit

It is possible to store the mind with a million facts and still be entirely
uneducated.
Alec Bourne

Momjws1

Nov 12, 2003, 9:02:13 PM11/12/03
>an art student at a certain stage
>
>she hisses at her elders,
>"he is not considered major nowadays."
>
>i want to ask her why she cares
>what he's considered,
>why she cares what her guests
>think of him,
>how highly she herself feels
>he should be esteemed,
>and whether she does not find often
>that she disagrees with those who drive
>her to the passive (though aggressive)
>voice.
>
>but we have all been students once,
>and it's a terrifying thing to be,
>so impressed by the glib self-assurance
>of the arbiters of fashion,
>and as such so easily enlisted into the
>(temporary) ranks of the cultural terrorists
>I believe as you do about creativity and what it is and what it isn't and
>how is should be allowed to become itself.
>
> - Lynne D

Well said.

Jane in WV

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 13, 2003, 1:17:37 AM11/13/03
Thank you Lynne , may i print this out to show around ???
mirjam

Lynne

Nov 13, 2003, 11:08:13 AM11/13/03
I assume it is possible to pass it around. Here is the web page for that
day of the Writer's Almanac:

http://www.writersalmanac.org/docs/03_11_10.htm#wednesday

Every day has a poem and all of them that are on the website are there with
permission from the publisher, so I assume you may do so. :-)

- Lynne D.

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" <mir...@actcom.co.il> wrote in message

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Nov 13, 2003, 2:01:37 PM11/13/03
Thank you i won`t spread just read it to another Artist colleague
mirjam

Lynne

Nov 13, 2003, 1:02:43 PM11/13/03
It's on the web page for all to see, so spread liberally. :-)

- Lynne