Nurses Pattern

1 view

Rose Mcdonald

Jan 22, 1995, 12:06:08 PM1/22/95
Hi People;

In Leisure Arts Leaflet #756 Professional People there is a small sampler
of a nurse holding a baby. Also, in the book American School Of Needlework,
#3603 there is a small sampler for a nurse. The book is for making small
samplers for different professions. There are 50 in this book by "Sam Hawkins"
Hope this may be of some help

Happy Stitching

Rose

GRO...@delphi.com

Jan 24, 1995, 6:58:28 PM1/24/95
Quoting Rose.Mcdonald from a message in rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
>Newsgroups: rec.crafts.textiles.needlework Subject: Nurses Pattern

Thanks so much for the info will look it up as soon as I have the time off
and hope to start it ASAP...

Teresa
Rainbow V 1.10 for Delphi - Test Drive

Michael Zamansky

Jan 25, 1995, 7:25:42 PM1/25/95
Having read the reposting of the charter (Thank you) I have a question ...
The division between needlework and yarn seems so artificial as to
be amusing. What defines "needlework?" Is it work strictly done
with a needle as in cross stitch, needle point, needle lace and needle
tatting (yes, there is such a thing), in which case this excludes
shuttle tatting and bobbin lace -- or does it include the traditional
"fancy work" which includes all of the above and lace crochet?

(Yes I know that was a run on sentence with misplaced punctuation --
its been a long day.)

Frankly as a lacer (bobbin) and tatter -- I have a lot more in common
with the "stitchers" than with the "yarn" people just due to the
nature of the fiber used. I often use embroidery floss in my tatting
or in my bobbin lace making due to the plyabilty and the range of
colors. I dont' mind wading through all the xst posts because I can
always "kill" a heading I am not interested in -- or just scan for
those I am interested in if I am in a hurry. I use my net reading
time as my "down" time between coming home and making dinner. Stitching
is left for after dinner and during long (boring) meetings or while
proctoring exams.

We all share the love of beautiful hand made work -- let's all
"live" together.

Devorah

Martha Beth Lewis

Jan 26, 1995, 3:40:13 AM1/26/95

Zamansky) writes:
>snip snip

>>Frankly as a lacer (bobbin) and tatter -- I have a lot more in common
>>with the "stitchers" than with the "yarn" people just due to the
>>nature of the fiber used.
>

>I agree with you here..though I haven't been around Internet long. I
have
>a BBS that is "needlework Only" and we have a tatting and lace
conference
>(though nobody is on it <hehehe>) and we also have tatting and lace
stuff in
>our catalog and online.
>
>And.....I know at Los Angeles County Fair the Bobbin Lace (and other
lace)
>is exibited next to the "other stitchery" stuff.
>
>Waiting for flames though...;-)
>

>Lesa

What's flamebait about this? (I'm using a new word that Kathy Dyer just
taught me in a previous post!) Martha Beth

sti...@ibm.net

Jan 26, 1995, 1:59:06 AM1/26/95
In <3g6q66$8...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu>, m-mz...@cs.nyu.edu (Michael Zamansky) writes:
snip snip

>Frankly as a lacer (bobbin) and tatter -- I have a lot more in common

>with the "stitchers" than with the "yarn" people just due to the
>nature of the fiber used.

I agree with you here..though I haven't been around Internet long. I have

Patty Andersen

Jan 26, 1995, 12:08:20 PM1/26/95

Try the Jeanette Crews Desings, Inc., book #120

The title is Portrait of a Nurse

It has three different pictures. One is a nurse standing, writing on a
chart. One is a nurse taking the pulse of a seated man. One is a nurse
checking the heartbeat of a small child.

Patty

--
Patty Andersen My opinions are my own
Head/Information Services why would the State of

Martha Beth Lewis

Jan 26, 1995, 3:00:08 PM1/26/95
In <3g8ku4$e...@krypton.hpc.sdsmt.edu> pand...@silver.sdsmt.edu (Patty
Andersen) writes:

>Try the Jeanette Crews Desings, Inc., book #120
>
>The title is Portrait of a Nurse
>
>It has three different pictures. One is a nurse standing, writing on a
>chart. One is a nurse taking the pulse of a seated man. One is a
nurse
>checking the heartbeat of a small child.
>
>Patty

There are also two nurse kits in the spring 95 catalogues from Stichery/
Counted Cross Stitch from the Stitchery.

One is in the latter on p. 22. Implements of the profession and
"Nursing is a work of heart." Kit.

The other one I can't find--but it WAS there last night!--and is more a
cartoonish rendering of a female nurse. Kit?

800-388-9662 for catalogues

Martha Beth

Elizabeth Frank

Jan 26, 1995, 5:34:10 PM1/26/95
In article <3g6q66$8...@sparky.cs.nyu.edu>, m-mz...@cs.nyu.edu (Michael Zamansky) writes:
|> Having read the reposting of the charter (Thank you) I have a question ...
|> The division between needlework and yarn seems so artificial as to
|> be amusing. What defines "needlework?" Is it work strictly done
|> with a needle as in cross stitch, needle point, needle lace and needle
|> tatting (yes, there is such a thing), in which case this excludes
|> shuttle tatting and bobbin lace -- or does it include the traditional
|> "fancy work" which includes all of the above and lace crochet?
<snip>
|> Devorah

Well, I'm not the expert and don't want anyone to feel I'm forcing
something down anyone's throat... But, as one of the more vocal members
that debated the issue in news.groups here is my interpretation:

Anything that had to do with stitching fell under needlework:
Xstitch, hardanger, pulled/drawn thread, embroidery on canvas,
needlepoint, smocking (and probably a bunch of things I haven't
thought of)
I think of it as decorative stitching applied to a ground cloth, which
does generally exclude lacemaking. On the other hand, I don't mind
reading about lace here. I'm a needle tatter myself and I just 'kill'
bobbin lace discussions.

Anything that had to do with creating a ground cloth fell under yarn:
weaving, spinning, knitting, crocheting

Sewing was for construction issues: making clothes, bags, etc.

Quilting was for anything that included quilting.

There wasn't enough traffic to justify lace a newsgroup of it's own
so it was expected to go to r.c.t.misc. The topic of lace included
bobbin lace, tatting (bobbin & needle), needle lace and crochet lace.
In practice, there's been some lace discussion in both the needlework
and yarn newsgroups but virtually none in misc.

--
-Beth Frank (fr...@cs.uiuc.edu)
To send or not to send that is the question. Whether it is nobler to risk