DMC has gone into bankruptcy

jkwrabbit

Apr 29, 2008, 1:26:50 PM4/29/08
Just announced today -- DMC (including all of their floss lines) has
gone into bankruptcy. I imagine a run on most of the needlework
stores just to stock up. Anyone heard anything yet?

Johanna

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 1:58:00 PM4/29/08

"jkwrabbit" <satins...@mail.com> wrote in message

I couldn't find anything definitive, but if it's true, it wouldn't be the
first time and they emerged from it okay. Let's hope that will happen
again.

Lucille

Gill Murray

Apr 29, 2008, 2:07:13 PM4/29/08

It is true, mostly! Here is a news link from reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL2992875220080429

Gill

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 2:16:56 PM4/29/08

"Gill Murray" <gillm...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

I do hope they can survive this and emerge victorious.

Let's get after them to dump all their clothing and other holdings and
leave our needlework stuff alone. Do you think they would listen to us????
lol

Gill Murray

Apr 29, 2008, 2:26:17 PM4/29/08

Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??

Probably the only way they would listen. Hopefully they can restructure;
I think this happened before. The dyeing plant in the USA was closed
down a couple of years back.

Dr. Brat

Apr 29, 2008, 2:32:10 PM4/29/08
Gill Murray wrote:

> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??

J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."

Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 2:32:03 PM4/29/08

> Lucille wrote:
>> "Gill Murray" <gillm...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>>It is true, mostly! Here is a news link from reuters.
>>>
>>>http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL2992875220080429
>>>
>>>Gill
>>

>> I do hope they can survive this and emerge victorious.
>>
>> Let's get after them to dump all their clothing and other holdings and
>> leave our needlework stuff alone. Do you think they would listen to
>> us???? lol
> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??

Not enough to write anything more complicated then your sentence, but Sheena
speaks French fluently, doesn't she?

> Probably the only way they would listen. Hopefully they can restructure; I
> think this happened before. The dyeing plant in the USA was closed down a
> couple of years back.

I did see something about them having filed for bankruptcy in the 90's and
emerging in 1997.

Funny timing. I just filled in all my missing colors when I recently set up
the bobbin storage. Up until then I was missing a few of the colors that I
don't much like and avoid using.

Gill Murray

Apr 29, 2008, 2:56:26 PM4/29/08

Dr. Brat wrote:
> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>

> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>
> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)

Well, it IS 56 years since my last French lesson!!

Gill

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 3:31:46 PM4/29/08

"Gill Murray" <gillm...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

It looked fine to me !!! Possibly that's because I took Spanish in High
School and learned my 5 words of French in books. :*))

Dianne Lewandowski

Apr 29, 2008, 3:33:51 PM4/29/08
Lucille wrote:

> I do hope they can survive this and emerge victorious.
>
> Let's get after them to dump all their clothing and other holdings and
> leave our needlework stuff alone. Do you think they would listen to us????
> lol

What clothing line? I know they had pillows, bags and various items for
embroidery (their Linea line) which I loved but didn't catch on here in
America. Stencils, wonderful color combinations, easy pearl cotton
which works up quickly . . . all a beginner would want and be avante
garde. It went very well in Europe.

It doesn't help that predator chain stores refuse to stock their floss
and the Linea line. I tried finding the latter in stores and it was
sparse pickings. No wonder it didn't catch on. It wasn't given a
proper chance.

Dianne

--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/smf

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 3:43:15 PM4/29/08

"Dianne Lewandowski" <dia...@heritageshoppe.com> wrote in message

The Parent Company in France owns several sportswear companies. The
Creative World Division that has to do with the needlework is one of several
divisions of the company

You can see a mention in the article Gill posted:
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSL2992875220080429

Personally I didn't love the Linea line, but I did buy a bag for a friend
who wanted to try embroidery. As you say, it was a very good learning
piece.

Lucille.

Dr. Brat

Apr 29, 2008, 3:46:52 PM4/29/08
Lucille wrote:

> Not enough to write anything more complicated then your sentence, but Sheena
> speaks French fluently, doesn't she?

Sheena's not here anymore. Am I really the only one who's noticed?

Elizabeth

flitterbit

Apr 29, 2008, 4:05:27 PM4/29/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Lucille wrote:
>

>> Not enough to write anything more complicated then your sentence, but
>> Sheena speaks French fluently, doesn't she?
>
> Sheena's not here anymore. Am I really the only one who's noticed?
>
> Elizabeth

No, you're not the only one, I noticed as well. I've been wondering
where she's been, but I'm not a frequent enough poster to feel
comfortable asking after someone. I thought perhaps she'd gone on
vacation, but ...

Joan E.

Apr 29, 2008, 5:52:31 PM4/29/08
On Apr 29, 12:26 pm, jkwrabbit <satinstitc...@mail.com> wrote:
> Just announced today -- DMC (including all of their floss lines) has
> gone into bankruptcy.

Wow! That's a scary, scary thought! Nightmare material, actually!

Speaking of which, I had the most bizarre dream the other night. I
dreamed there were a few people at my church with me and we were re-
skeining this *huge*, like 3' high, pile of floss! I have no idea
where it came from or what we were going to do with it. I could
understand it if I'd had this dream after sending Karen the rayons,
many of which I re-skeined, but now, a year later??? Weird, huh?

Joan

Trish Brown

Apr 29, 2008, 6:58:35 PM4/29/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>
> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>
> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)

ROTFLMAO! That was *sharp* Elizabeth! 'Cream puff'! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Ma petite éclair chocolat! LOL! Hiccup!

--
Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Gill Murray

Apr 29, 2008, 7:10:18 PM4/29/08

Trish Brown wrote:
> Dr. Brat wrote:
>
>> Gill Murray wrote:
>>

>>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>>

>> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>>
>> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)
>

> ROTFLMAO! That was *sharp* Elizabeth! 'Cream puff'! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
>
> Ma petite éclair chocolat! LOL! Hiccup!

Ok, all you smartypants..you can quit this picking on an old lady!!

gill

Dr. Brat

Apr 29, 2008, 7:43:20 PM4/29/08
Gill Murray wrote:

I wasn't, I swear (well, ok, maybe a little). Everyone thinks chou
means cabbage, but it actually refers to a kind of pastry. Cream puff
pastry. Really.

Elizabeth

Gill Murray

Apr 29, 2008, 7:46:50 PM4/29/08

Dr. Brat wrote:
> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Trish Brown wrote:

>>> ROTFLMAO! That was *sharp* Elizabeth! 'Cream puff'! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
>>>
>>> Ma petite éclair chocolat! LOL! Hiccup!
>>>
>> Ok, all you smartypants..you can quit this picking on an old lady!!
>

> I wasn't, I swear (well, ok, maybe a little). Everyone thinks chou
> means cabbage, but it actually refers to a kind of pastry. Cream puff
> pastry. Really.
>
> Elizabeth

Actually, I knew about chou pastry, have made it for crab
puffs.............mind and fingers didn't connect!

Gill

MelissaD

Apr 29, 2008, 10:31:07 PM4/29/08
I have at least one skein in every color but with the pent-up stash I
have accumulated I may need to go buy another 2 or 3 full sets of every
color just to make sure I can stitch them all ....hhhhm how would I
explain THAT purchase to DH?!?
MelissaD

Karen C in California

Apr 29, 2008, 10:46:37 PM4/29/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>

> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>
> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)

No, not "cream puff". She called Lucille a CABBAGE!

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 4/3/08 - Stitcher's Blessing

WIP: MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

Karen C in California

Apr 29, 2008, 10:50:54 PM4/29/08
MelissaD wrote:

> how would I
> explain THAT purchase to DH?!?
> MelissaD

"insurance"

He wouldn't want you to be left with all this stuff you can't finish
because you can't get floss, would he?

Lucille

Apr 29, 2008, 11:11:20 PM4/29/08

"Karen C in California" <KMC...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Dr. Brat wrote:
>> Gill Murray wrote:
>>

>>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>>

>> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>>
>> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)
>

> No, not "cream puff". She called Lucille a CABBAGE!
>
> --
> Karen C - California

That's what I thought it said-- my little cabbage, but I'm pretty much
French language impaired and figured I must be wrong. Or maybe there's
another meaning to the phrase that I don't know.

Lucille

Trish Brown

Apr 29, 2008, 11:59:42 PM4/29/08

Hee! Since I always get the two mixed up, I play it safe and say 'Ma
petite sprout de bruxelles' instead. Isn't choux pastry hard to do? I
remember trying to make chocolate éclairs once and they had the texture
of ready-mix concrete. I can make decent enough shortcrust pastry, but
use the frozen stuff for most other purposes.

Oh - and I didn't know you were 'old' - I figured you were about my age,
which is only *bordering* on 'old'. Didn't mean to pick on you, Gill! ;-D

NB. Erm... how'd you make the crab puffs????

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 12:07:33 AM4/30/08

It was just a typo. 'Chou' is cabbage and 'choux' is the pastry (choux
pastry - the sort you use to make profiteroles and chocolate éclairs and
stuff). I wouldn't have picked it up, but I did think it was funny when
Elizabeth said 'my leetle cream puff'. In fact, starting with the
vegetable motif, it's amazing what you can call people! I'm calling my
kids 'My little rutabaga' or 'My litte summer squish - I mean squash'
all the time.

Speakin' of typos: does anyone else find their fingers type things they
never meant to write? I caught myself typing 'there' instead of 'their'
the other day!!! I swear it was my fingers and not my brane that did
that! Another time, I caught myself typing 'it's' instead of 'its' and
*that's* one of my pet peeves. Nearly died, I did. I wonder if I'm going
soft innner head?

Fred

Apr 30, 2008, 2:43:41 AM4/30/08

"jkwrabbit" <satins...@mail.com> wrote in message

Considering that a lot of LNS stopped carrying DMC floss because their
purchasing price was higher than Golly-Mart's selling price who should be
surprised?? Realistic retail price for a skein of DMC should be $1.20+ a
skein not 4 skeins for a $1.

Don't hold your breath thinking DMC floss will return with gusto, IMHO your
color could change to DMC 798.

and y'all ain't seen nothing yet. It is going to get a lot worse before it
gets better.

Fred - who supports the small shops and refuses to deal with the big box
predators.
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Gill Murray

Apr 30, 2008, 7:55:54 AM4/30/08

I DID intend choux,cabbage, that is how we said it across the pond!

Ericka Kammerer

Apr 30, 2008, 8:08:03 AM4/30/08
Trish Brown wrote:

> Isn't choux pastry hard to do?

It's not really that hard if you have a recipe
that explains the technique well. It's not finicky, but
you do have to follow the process.

Best wishes,
Ericka

ellice

Apr 30, 2008, 8:57:24 AM4/30/08
On 4/29/08 2:32 PM, "Dr. Brat" <epc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>
> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>
> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)

Or isn't that "my leetle cabbage"

ellice

ellice

Apr 30, 2008, 9:03:05 AM4/30/08
On 4/29/08 7:43 PM, "Dr. Brat" <epc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Gill Murray wrote:
>

>> Trish Brown wrote:

>>> ROTFLMAO! That was *sharp* Elizabeth! 'Cream puff'! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
>>>
>>> Ma petite éclair chocolat! LOL! Hiccup!
>>>
>> Ok, all you smartypants..you can quit this picking on an old lady!!
>
> I wasn't, I swear (well, ok, maybe a little). Everyone thinks chou
> means cabbage, but it actually refers to a kind of pastry. Cream puff
> pastry. Really.
>
> Elizabeth

Yes, but I found that when working there and I had the French baeu (in the
early 90s) (or as he would put it, mon mec Michel or mon cher ami) when
using the term "petit chou" much laughter would ensue, as the modern
interpretation was more towards "hah, hah - my little cabbage" not in the
Maurice Chevalier "my little creampuff" way. Of course, the French do love
their puns, hence all the hotels name "Le Lion d'Or" (the golden lion which
in French sounds just like "Le lit en dor" the golden bed), and Jerry Lewis.

ellice

ellice

Apr 30, 2008, 9:08:31 AM4/30/08
On 4/30/08 12:07 AM, "Trish Brown" <pmcb...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Lucille wrote:
>> "Karen C in California" <KMC...@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> No, not "cream puff". She called Lucille a CABBAGE!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Karen C - California
>>>

>> That's what I thought it said-- my little cabbage, but I'm pretty much
>> French language impaired and figured I must be wrong. Or maybe there's
>> another meaning to the phrase that I don't know.
>>
>> Lucille
>>

> It was just a typo. 'Chou' is cabbage and 'choux' is the pastry (choux
> pastry - the sort you use to make profiteroles and chocolate éclairs and
> stuff). I wouldn't have picked it up, but I did think it was funny when
> Elizabeth said 'my leetle cream puff'. In fact, starting with the
> vegetable motif, it's amazing what you can call people! I'm calling my
> kids 'My little rutabaga' or 'My litte summer squish - I mean squash'
> all the time.

Since this is a needlework thread - I'm throwing some French needlework in.
We just got in a bunch of charts from "Lili Point" - ordered from the online
NW show. It is absolutely ADORABLE! Not ridiculously expensive - I think
that most of the charts are about $12. They are just tooo cute. Though,
definitely reminding me of the décor in my friends' homes in France. There
is a marriage piece that we got - and it actually came with the linen
banding. The reindeer one has ribbon in it. Very cute. Some of the charts
are vegetables, fruit, etc. We liked them so much, seems we'll order more!

http://www.lilipoints.com/nouveauus.html

> Speakin' of typos: does anyone else find their fingers type things they
> never meant to write? I caught myself typing 'there' instead of 'their'
> the other day!!! I swear it was my fingers and not my brane that did
> that! Another time, I caught myself typing 'it's' instead of 'its' and
> *that's* one of my pet peeves. Nearly died, I did. I wonder if I'm going
> soft innner head?

Just thinking out of synch with the typing. I think it's a common phenom.

Ellice

Lucille

Apr 30, 2008, 9:24:15 AM4/30/08

"Ericka Kammerer" <e...@comcast.net> wrote in message

You forgot to add that you need very strong wrists to mix and mix and mix
the dough as it's coming together. My arm would begin to give out just at
the crucial moment and my dh usually had to come to my rescue.

Lucille

Lucille

Apr 30, 2008, 9:28:37 AM4/30/08

"Gill Murray" <gillm...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

Just so you know it, I don't mind being called a little cabbage. I think in
this terrible economy the price of a cabbage might be worth more then
diamonds, so I take it as a compliment.

Lucille

Lucille

Apr 30, 2008, 9:30:33 AM4/30/08

"Fred" <bksti...@mts.net> wrote in message

I'm delighted to hear that you support the small shop. Now would you like
to move to this area and open one so I can buy from your LNS.

Lucille

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 10:08:29 AM4/30/08
Karen C in California wrote:

> Dr. Brat wrote:
>
>> Gill Murray wrote:
>>

>>> Parlez vous francais, ma petite choux??
>>

>> J'en parle assez pour savoir que c'est "mon petit chou."
>>
>> Elizabeth (my leetle cream puff)
>

> No, not "cream puff". She called Lucille a CABBAGE!

No, she did not. Chou refers to chou pastry. She called her a cream puff.

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 10:15:08 AM4/30/08
Trish Brown wrote:

> It was just a typo. 'Chou' is cabbage and 'choux' is the pastry (choux
> pastry - the sort you use to make profiteroles and chocolate éclairs and
> stuff).

It actually wasn't a typo at all. Choux is plural. I was referring to
one cream puff. So "chou" was correct. It may be called choux pastry
in English, but chou a la creme can be just one.

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 10:17:00 AM4/30/08
ellice wrote:

Can be, but can also be my leetle cream puff, which is far more
romantic, don't you think? Classic translation, of course, is "sweetheart."

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 10:20:16 AM4/30/08
ellice wrote:

> Yes, but I found that when working there and I had the French baeu (in the
> early 90s) (or as he would put it, mon mec Michel or mon cher ami) when
> using the term "petit chou" much laughter would ensue, as the modern
> interpretation was more towards "hah, hah - my little cabbage" not in the
> Maurice Chevalier "my little creampuff" way. Of course, the French do love
> their puns, hence all the hotels name "Le Lion d'Or" (the golden lion which
> in French sounds just like "Le lit en dor" the golden bed), and Jerry Lewis.

Exactly. The French love a good double entendre and the fact is that
chou refers to cabbage and cream puffs, so whose to say what your "petit
ami" was really calling you?

Elizabeth (2 years of high school in Brussels)

Joan E.

Apr 30, 2008, 10:44:18 AM4/30/08
On Apr 29, 11:07 pm, Trish Brown <pmcbr...@internode.on.net> wrote:
>I wonder if I'm going soft innner head?

You went soft maaaany moons ago! I can tell you exactly when, too!
It was the day you (incorrectly) decided ratznmeece would be good
pets!!!!!!

Joan (r,d,h!)

MargW

Apr 30, 2008, 11:15:01 AM4/30/08
Trish Brown wrote:

<SNIP>

> Hee! Since I always get the two mixed up, I play it safe and say 'Ma
> petite sprout de bruxelles' instead. Isn't choux pastry hard to do? I
> remember trying to make chocolate éclairs once and they had the texture
> of ready-mix concrete. I can make decent enough shortcrust pastry, but
> use the frozen stuff for most other purposes.
>
> Oh - and I didn't know you were 'old' - I figured you were about my age,
> which is only *bordering* on 'old'. Didn't mean to pick on you, Gill! ;-D
>
> NB. Erm... how'd you make the crab puffs????

Hi Trish:

Actually, choux paste is one of the easiest of the pastries to make -
much easier than puff pastry which requires patience, cold hands, lots
of butter, and multiple foldings. Even a lot of experts recommend
buying frozen puff pastry.

Choux paste is just water, flour, eggs, butter and salt.

The following is from one of my well-used cookbooks

1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
4 eggs

Add butter to boiling water, return to boil, add salt
Add flour all at once, stir over heat until smooth, cook until mixture
leaves sides of pot (about 1 minute) - do not overcook
Cool slightly, add unbeaten eggs one at a time, beat after each
addition, beat until mixture is glossy
Chill (mixture should hold its shape)
If making cream puff - drop by spoonful onto ungreased baking sheet
If making eclairs, use piping bag or make log shapes.
(For large puff - use golf ball size balls, for small puff use walnut
sized balls)

Bake at 420F for 10 minutes, reduce temp to 375F and bake (20-40
minutes) until puffs have turned light brown. Do not open oven door
during first 20 minutes
Turn off oven, remove puff and cut a slit in each one to release steam.
Return to oven for 10 minutes.

I made butter tarts on the weekend, maybe I should make a batch of cram
puffs.

MargW

Joan E.

Apr 30, 2008, 11:31:39 AM4/30/08
On Apr 29, 10:59 pm, Trish Brown <pmcbr...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> I remember trying to make chocolate éclairs once and they had the texture
> of ready-mix concrete.

Really??? I think puff pastry is one of the easiest, tastiest
desserts possible! I made a bunch for Easter dinner and had chocolate
and butterscotch pudding and whipped cream (real, of course!) so
people could make their own. You must try them again, Trish!

Joan

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 11:32:04 AM4/30/08
Trish Brown wrote:

> Hee! Since I always get the two mixed up, I play it safe and say 'Ma
> petite sprout de bruxelles' instead.

*snort* It's "chou de bruxelles" and it's still masculine. If you're
going to insist on the feminine, it's "choute"

Cheryl Isaak

Apr 30, 2008, 12:26:20 PM4/30/08
On 4/30/08 9:08 AM, in article C43DE78F.B9F6%egi...@verizon.net, "ellice"
<egi...@verizon.net> wrote:

I have to admit to being tempted by the "Lucky Charms" sampler. (yep, has a
ladybug.C

Walker Family

Apr 30, 2008, 1:11:13 PM4/30/08
>Considering that a lot of LNS stopped carrying DMC floss because their
>purchasing price was higher than Golly-Mart's selling price who should be
>surprised?? Realistic retail price for a skein of DMC should be $1.20+ a
>skein not 4 skeins for a $1.>Fred - who supports the small shops and refuses to deal with the big box
>predators.

Could it be that WalMart doing away with the needlework supplies has
caused a ripple over at DMC? If you consider how many stores are in
the US, the amount Wally's used to buy must have been enormous. I'm
starting to feel justified and/or relieved for having multiple
complete sets of floss!! Moni

MelissaD

Apr 30, 2008, 1:39:30 PM4/30/08
My father-in-law whips up eclairs and cream puffs all the time from
scratch - recipe seems simple enough. Cook it in a sauce pan and mix it
thoroughly and then he just pipes out the shapes he wants and bakes and
lets them dry a bit. Don't have details but yum - fill them with
whipped heavy cream and sprinkle with powdered sugar or top with
chocolate....yum.

MelissaD

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 4:29:08 PM4/30/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Trish Brown wrote:
>

>> It was just a typo. 'Chou' is cabbage and 'choux' is the pastry (choux
>> pastry - the sort you use to make profiteroles and chocolate éclairs
>> and stuff).
>
> It actually wasn't a typo at all. Choux is plural. I was referring to
> one cream puff. So "chou" was correct. It may be called choux pastry
> in English, but chou a la creme can be just one.
>
> Elizabeth

Fair dinkum!? I never knew that! My recipe books say 'choux' for pastry
and my French texts say 'chou' for cabbage, however I didn't look far
enough to deal with plurals. Blow me down and a half! I keep meaning to
sit down and brush up me French, but of course I never do. I think it
needs Another Person with whom to do the conversation bit.

Makes me mad to think how fluent I was at school and how much I've lost
through lack of practice. I could even do future pluperfect tense and
subjunctive mood with great ease. Not 'ny more though.

Speaking of double entendres, I remember one day we had had French
dictation and our fearsome teacher tore strips off a girl because she
kept saying 'The onion' in response to 'l'agneau'. They sound identical
in Australian French...

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 4:35:31 PM4/30/08

SPLORT!!!!

I'll have you know that Darling Little Diego spent last night in my bed
(safely in his plastic tank, tucked between the pillows) in order to
prevent him freezing to death in the sudden cold snap we're having. The
girls are OK. There's enough of them to huddle together and keep warm.
No, I'm not about to let Diego room in with them! If I did that, I'd
have approximately a hundred and fifty Blessed Events within a month!

Poor little Diego is on his own since dear little Ottorino passed away
and hot water bottles run out of hot around three in the morning. DH is
going to try and rig up a light bulb for Diego today. ROTFL! I bet this
is one job he gets done in a hurry! DH was good about it, but I could
tell he was utterly aghast at the notion of a chilly little mouse coming
between us in The Biggest Bed in the Whole Wide World.

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 4:38:27 PM4/30/08
MargW wrote:

THANK you! That sounds easy enough. Now, how d'you get the crab in? With
a syringe? And... ah... s'pose I wanted to insert a drop of chocolate
for example. How would I do that? Just stick it in the middle of the
slit or pipe it along the top or...?

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 4:42:40 PM4/30/08

Yeah, I'm a groan-up now. I do much better cooking than in the olden
days of perpetual frying things! LOL! Once, I made a chocolate cake that
never rose and had the texture of vulcanised rubber. We took it out the
paddock and played frisbee with it until one of the horses got hold of
it in his teeth and took off with it. Another time, I made crumpets and
put too much bicarb in them so that they foamed up and and up and up and
were more like sponge rubber than crumpets. We played cricket with those...

At least I wasn't afraid to experiment AND I was only a kid. It's
amazing what you can achieve with a pictorial cookbook and a family to feed.

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 4:48:26 PM4/30/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Trish Brown wrote:
>

>> Hee! Since I always get the two mixed up, I play it safe and say 'Ma
>> petite sprout de bruxelles' instead.
>
> *snort* It's "chou de bruxelles" and it's still masculine. If you're
> going to insist on the feminine, it's "choute"
>
> Elizabeth

Fair dink, you are a caution, Elizabeth! I've written all this down and
have repeated it several times in the hope it sticks. I never heard of
'choute'! I think I'll stay away from Bruxelles, even in jest. It's
safer that way. ;->

And speakin' of those blasted sprouts (sounds like 'blast-ended skrewts'
for those of the Harry Potter persuasion), my DD *loves* them! I can't
believe this! DH and DS and I find they taste like undiluted sewage but
DD had them at a friend's place and reckons they're great. I keep a
little bag of frozen ones just for her and she cooks them herself (I
can't stand the stench). Bleargh! Kid's not *normal*!

I love veggies and will eat just about anything, but not brussels
sprouts (gonna call 'em blast-ended skrewts from now on)!

Dr. Brat

Apr 30, 2008, 6:37:14 PM4/30/08
Trish Brown wrote:

> Fair dink, you are a caution, Elizabeth!

French I can handle. Don't know about Austrailian. Will someone tell
me if this is a compliment? LOL!

Joan E.

Apr 30, 2008, 6:51:01 PM4/30/08
On Apr 30, 3:35 pm, Trish Brown <pmcbr...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> I'll have you know that Darling Little Diego spent last night in my bed

One word: EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Or is that a sentiment?

MargW

Apr 30, 2008, 7:05:51 PM4/30/08
to Trish Brown

Hi Trish

I just cut a slit in the puff or even cut them right in half You can
pull out some of the interior pastry to make more room for the filling.
I've used ham salad to fill them for a brunch buffet. That's the
nice thing about choux paste, you can use it for sweet or savoury fillings.

Giggle - I just noticed the typo in my original message - 'cram' puffs
indeed.

I'd love to have your recipe for crab filling. (Did I tell you we were
in Maryland last weekend, and had lump crab cakes? Yummmmmy)

One of these days I'll post my recipe for butter tarts(very similar to
pecan tarts).

MargW

MargW

Apr 30, 2008, 7:09:25 PM4/30/08

I find the problem with brussel sprouts is that most people over cook
them. The trick to get them to cook quickly and not go to gray mush is
to cut an X in the base, so the hard end cooks as quickly as the rest of
the sprout. Serve with a little butter and lemon juice - superb. Hmmm
- roast beef, garlic mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts - I may just have
figured out what I want to cook for Sunday dinner.

margW

Gill Murray

Apr 30, 2008, 7:18:14 PM4/30/08

> Hi Trish
>
> I just cut a slit in the puff or even cut them right in half You can
> pull out some of the interior pastry to make more room for the filling.
> I've used ham salad to fill them for a brunch buffet. That's the nice
> thing about choux paste, you can use it for sweet or savoury fillings.
>
> Giggle - I just noticed the typo in my original message - 'cram' puffs
> indeed.
>
> I'd love to have your recipe for crab filling. (Did I tell you we were
> in Maryland last weekend, and had lump crab cakes? Yummmmmy)
>
> One of these days I'll post my recipe for butter tarts(very similar to
> pecan tarts).
>
> MargW

Not Trish, but I lived in Maryland for 15 years. I made the "puffs", and
when cool split them in 2/3rds. The big hole was filled with a mixture
of crabmeat ( the real thing of couse), a very little finely chopped
celery, some mayo to hold it together, and the true Marylanders secret
ingredient...Old Bay Seasoning. After stuffing the big bits, I sat the
small piece on top as a hat. (DD's MIL puts Old bay in everything,
including {otato salad..another story).

When we left Maryland in 1993, the price of crab, though not cheap, was
affordable. Now...well it is totally outrageous. In 1985 or so, we would
pay $30 a bushel of males, and had a Cootie Crabfeast at the VFW. Last
time I was there $30 would buy very few crabs!

Gillian

Lucille

Apr 30, 2008, 7:38:32 PM4/30/08

"Gill Murray" <gillm...@nowhere.net> wrote in message

I used to make little minis to serve as hors d'ouerves (how is that
spelled?) and fill them with shrimp salad.

Just chopped shrimp, mayo, a little onion and lemon juice. My guests
gobbled them up.

Lucille

Susan Hartman

Apr 30, 2008, 8:29:39 PM4/30/08
Gill Murray wrote:

> When we left Maryland in 1993, the price of crab, though not cheap, was
> affordable. Now...well it is totally outrageous. In 1985 or so, we would
> pay $30 a bushel of males, and had a Cootie Crabfeast at the VFW. Last
> time I was there $30 would buy very few crabs!

Crabs are not really affordable these days, and they're talking about
limiting the harvests in order to protect the critters, so I expect the
price will go even higher this year. Sadly, it also means the watermen
will be badly hurt economically. We're not big crab-eaters, and last I
heard it was near the $100/bushel mark. I wait for it to go 1/2 price at
the supermarket and then stock up. The pasteurized crabmeat has a
looooong shelf life in the frige. (Half price makes it $12-15 for 12-16
oz., depending on the brand and time of year.)

Our local gourmet supermarket has crab soup every Friday, and last
Friday I succumbed - it was a perfect soup day, and I enjoyed every
last drop!

(One year a big container of homemade crab soup was the Christmas gift
for each of the SILs. They loved it!)

And, hey, here they even put Old Bay on potato chips!

Sue in Baltimore

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 9:41:44 PM4/30/08
MargW wrote:

> I find the problem with brussel sprouts is that most people over cook
> them. The trick to get them to cook quickly and not go to gray mush is
> to cut an X in the base, so the hard end cooks as quickly as the rest of
> the sprout. Serve with a little butter and lemon juice - superb. Hmmm
> - roast beef, garlic mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts - I may just have
> figured out what I want to cook for Sunday dinner.
>
> margW

*I* find the problem with brussels sprouts is the bl**dy awful flavour!
I don't care how y'cook 'em: they taste like something out of the
primaeval slime! Plerk!

Since DH and DD will be away for a Scouting weekend, DS and I will
probably be having baked beans on toast for Sunday dinner. Yum!

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 9:47:32 PM4/30/08

You just haven't seen his dear little teddy-bear face! He's just the
cutest little sausage you ever did see and he *whiffles* at people when
he's happy! Irresistable!

Trish Brown

Apr 30, 2008, 9:54:56 PM4/30/08
Dr. Brat wrote:
> Trish Brown wrote:
>

>> Fair dink, you are a caution, Elizabeth!
>
> French I can handle. Don't know about Austrailian. Will someone tell
> me if this is a compliment? LOL!
>
> Elizabeth

Of course, silly! If I wanted to *not* compliment you, I'd've called you
a galah. But then... even 'galah' can be complimentary if said with the
proper inflection.

'Fair dink' is short for 'fair dinkum' which is just a thing that we've
always said here in N'cle. Well, since I was a kid, anyway. It's a
utilitarian sort of thing to say. It can mean anything from 'Bl**dy
h*ll!' to 'You bl**dy idiot!' to 'What a bl**dy shame!' to 'How'd'ja
bl**dy do?' to 'You don't bl**dy say?' to 'Where the bl**dy h*ll are ya?'

See what I mean? It's sort of a watered-down alternative to the Great
Australian Adjective. Used affectionately, it's a nice thing to say.
Used with a string of expletives, it's not. See?

Just discussing this with DH and he pointed out that the current
generation of Australians don't generally use it. Must be a feature of
old coots and codgers like DH and me.

Oh. And 'a caution' is 'a smart person' or 'a clever little girl'. Me
Nanna used to say it to me all the time when I was little and it's stuck.

mir...@actcom.co.il

May 1, 2008, 12:49:23 AM5/1/08

> Considering that a lot of LNS stopped carrying DMC floss because their
> purchasing price was higher than Golly-Mart's selling price who should be

> Fred - who supports the small shops and refuses to deal with the big box
> predators.http://www.stitchaway.com
> If nothing changes, nothing changes.
> Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Cotton just as Rice are Water and Work consuming products, And they
Rise in prices all over the world now.
mirjam

Dawne Peterson

May 1, 2008, 1:03:58 AM5/1/08

"Dr. Brat" wrote

> *snort* It's "chou de bruxelles" and it's still masculine. If you're
> going to insist on the feminine, it's "choute"

I am just imagining Trish saying "sproooot" in her best Austra-Francais.
Dawne

Trish Brown

May 1, 2008, 3:30:40 AM5/1/08

It'd be more like 'spraout', I think. Imagine Eliza Doolittle in the
beginning of 'My Fair Lady' and then flatten the vowels even further and
add a distinct nasal overtone. Or undertone.

LOL! Our first French teacher was a *fearsome* little nun who lined us
up in ranks and made us go 'Tu! Tu! Tu!' for five minutes at the
beginning of each lesson. This went on for four years and I don't think
a single one of us ever learned not to say 'Tew!' instead of 'Tu!'

This fearsome little nun was the most *beeootiful* embroiderer and
tatter: she made a stunningly lovely ivory silk trousseau for her niece
and then, a few years later, made an equally stunning carved wooden
cradle for the same niece's first baby!

Remember the Manhattan Transfer song, 'Chanson d'Amour'? That was 'Chong
Songer Moo'. The Beatles, song 'Michelle' went 'Michelle, ma belle song
laymow key vong tray beng ongsong, tray beng ongong'. LOLOLOL! Oz
doesn't go very well with Frongsay, I'm afraid.

Good thing about it all, though, was that we were introduced to the
works of the *amazing* Moroccan singer, Frida Boccara and she remains a
favourite of mine to this day. Sadly, she died very young, but her
daughter keeps her memory alive and her albums are still hot sellers.

One last memory of French classes. When we sat for matric. our teacher
was a Belgian lady called 'Madame 'ocking'. She was an older lady, in
her sixties while the rest of our teachers were mostly in their twenties
and thirties. The interesting thing about her was that she wore her hair
every single day in a sort of tumour on top of her head. Around the
tumour was tied a black velvet ribbon bow with a real diamond in it!
Whenever Madame went anywhere, you would see the black velvet bow
bobbing along cheerfully and the light glinting merrily off the diamond.

Of course, we came up with a zillion plans for the removal of the tumour
and the abduction of the diamond, but AFAIK, Madame was buried with her
tumour and her diamond intact. No-one ever saw her without them and we
all wondered what M. 'ocking thought of the whole situation. Perhaps the
tumour was, in fact, a cache of illicit diamonds being carefully
husbanded by Madame against their retirement? Perhaps M. 'ocking
*forced* Madame into the diamond trade against her will? Perhaps the
tumour was a radio tracking device so that he would know where Madame
was at all times? Who can say? But it sure gave us a lot to suppose
about back when we were girls...

m&m

May 1, 2008, 8:26:13 AM5/1/08

I find when myself so pluperfectly tense that I can't sleep, stitching
helps. I need chocolate to deal with my subjunctive moods though! :^)
(what can I say, I'm a dork)

mir...@actcom.co.il

May 1, 2008, 10:49:27 AM5/1/08
> (what can I say, I'm a dork)- Hide quoted text -

Hahahah Who High society doesn`t eat [or doesn`t admit eating ]
spruites.
mirjam

Joan E.

May 1, 2008, 11:05:51 AM5/1/08
On Apr 30, 3:42 pm, Trish Brown <pmcbr...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> LOL! Once, I made a chocolate cake that
> never rose and had the texture of vulcanised rubber. We took it out the
> paddock and played frisbee with it until one of the horses got hold of
> it in his teeth and took off with it. Another time, I made crumpets and
> put too much bicarb in them so that they foamed up and and up and up and
> were more like sponge rubber than crumpets. We played cricket with those...

LOL! I have a similar story...When I was dating then-DBF-now-DH, my
girlfriend and I were at their place (he lived with a couple other
guys) and we decided to make biscuits (our kind, not your cookie-
type). We put them in the oven. A while later....."Is something
burning?" ACK! Biscuits! We had gotten a bit preoccupied (no, not
that kind! LOL) and forgot about them. But it wasn't just our
fault...they failed to mention that the oven is hotter than what it
was set at. Do you know what a hockey puck looks like? Yes, that's
our biscuits!!! Black throughnthrough. DBF threw one against the
garage wall and it didn't even break! He even took a picture of them,
which he still has, and brings them up at least once a year!

btw, did said horse eat the cake or just play with it?

Joan

Susan Hartman

May 1, 2008, 11:58:23 AM5/1/08
Trish -

It is WONDERFUL to have you back! I've missed your stories. You had me
laughing so hard - I could just picture the "tumor"!

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
www.dirtylinen.com

Trish Brown

May 1, 2008, 10:21:39 PM5/1/08

Dear old Clancy. I don't know what he did with it. He took off around
McClure's corner and we never saw that frisbee - er, cake again. Maybe
old Mr McClure nicked it for his morning tea?

Trish Brown

May 2, 2008, 12:02:38 AM5/2/08
Susan Hartman wrote:
> Trish -
>
> It is WONDERFUL to have you back! I've missed your stories. You had me
> laughing so hard - I could just picture the "tumor"!
>
> Sue

Thanks, Sue! ;-D

Remember back in the sixties and seventies when people used to pull baby
girls' hair up into a ponytail on the very apex of their heads? Kids
looked as though they had a fountain sprouting out of their branes!
Well, Madame's tumour was a variation on that theme, I think... It
started as a ponytail but was then bound and nailed down so that it
looked exactly as though a portion of Madame's head had suddenly erupted
up in a spherical lump about six inches high. Madame, of course, had
responded to this phenomenon by capitalising on it! She tied on her
black velvet ribbon, whacked it into a bow and added M. 'ocking's
diamond to finish the ensemble.

More recently:

There's a lady who lives down the end of our street who has five boys
and a little girl, Clare. Clare is in DD's class at school and this
poor, benighted child has lived its entire life with a tumour on its
head very similar to the one sported by my Madame. Every morning of her
life, Clare has her hair scrupulously scraped into a Fountain on top of
her head by her mother (who clearly doesn't know any better). It wasn't
so bad when she was younger, because Clare's hair is very pretty and
silky and the fountain flowed quite nicely down her head. But she's
recently had her hair cut and now the fountain is stiff and bristly and
more closely resembles one of those fibre optic lamps (the ones with the
spray of coloured bristles). *Not* a good look! The thing about
Fountainhead (that's what the Ugly Sister and I call the hairstyle) is
that it alters the apparent shape of the kid's head, making it look more
like a cone! Why would a loving parent want to do that, I wonder?

And then, of course, there's the Peanut-Headed Baby phenomenon!

In this modern era, there is a race of human beings which
surreptitiously endeavours to form the heads of its offspring into the
shape of a large peanut. This 'enhancement' is only practiced on
girl-children, whose baby heads are purposely constricted by the
addition of an elastic or ribbon band around their tiny, plastic skulls,
thus setting up ideal conditions to form the desirable constriction
approximately half-way down the kid's head. Usually a bow or piece of
phloof is added to same as a 'decoration', but often the band stands
alone as mute testament to the parent's hidden agenda.

When questioned about the reasons behind this odd desire, the parents
generally reply that 'Everyone thinks she's a boy. I'm just advertising
her feminine gender! And besides, it looks pretty!'

This common misconception masks the actual desire of the parents for
their female offspring to achieve Operant Peanut-Headedness in the
shortest time possible. The desire is, no doubt, an expression of the
parent's own Peanut-Head Envy. Maybe not, though... There have been
cases where a child has been recorded wearing the phloof *without* the
associated Peanut Constrictor. The attachment of such isolated phloofs
can be achieved by gluing or pinning them to the vestigial infant hair.
These Isolate Phloofs rarely stay in place for long, however, and simply
fall off in the supermarket (fortunately for the afflicted children).

The phloof, of course, often takes many forms, depending upon the ethnic
and religious associations of the parent. The simple bow may be
supplanted by a hunk of fur, marabou, artificial jewels or even plastic
flowers! As if their baby isn't decorative enough, these parents feel a
need to add PVC, acrylic or worse, *animal* products for its
enhancement! And all the time, the baby skull is inexorably being
compressed into that most desirable of shapes: The Peanut!

The impact of all this upon the millinery industry has yet to be
quantified and few studies have been done on the aesthetic and
measurable aspects of the Peanut-Heading race. For example, no studies
have yet been done to investigate causal relationships between the
relative elasticity of the Peanut Constrictor and the child's head
circumference. The addition of phloof may or may not affect the
development of the child and may or may not have significant
implications for its own self-fulfilling prophecy. Indeed, the
heritability of the Peanut-Heading phenomenon has yet to be
investigated! It may be that entire genealogies of Peanut-Heading women
exist, passing the trait on to their daughters and grand-daughters.

As an addendum, it must be noted that Peanut-Headedness is rarely
observed in the adult, although various sub-cultures exist that appear
to continue the attempt at Operant Peanut-Headedness. The Hippies of the
1960s, for example, spent approximately a decade wearing bands of
various compositions around their heads, often adorned with flowers,
beads or feathers (adult phloof, cf. infantile phloof)

Of course, the implications for further study are enormous! For example,
what effect, if any, does Operant Peanut-Headedness have upon brain
capacity? Is there a relationship between the Peanut Constrictor and,
say, the Alice Band or the elastic headband? What are the religious
implications? What about the future? And why do perpetrators only choose
female children as a subject for Operant Peanut-Headedness? Why not add
little bits of blue phloof to Peanut Constrictors attached to *boy* babies.

The future holds the answers to these questions and more...

ellice

May 2, 2008, 9:37:22 AM5/2/08
On 4/30/08 10:20 AM, "Dr. Brat" <epc...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> ellice wrote:
>
>> Yes, but I found that when working there and I had the French baeu (in the
>> early 90s) (or as he would put it, mon mec Michel or mon cher ami) when
>> using the term "petit chou" much laughter would ensue, as the modern
>> interpretation was more towards "hah, hah - my little cabbage" not in the
>> Maurice Chevalier "my little creampuff" way. Of course, the French do love
>> their puns, hence all the hotels name "Le Lion d'Or" (the golden lion which
>> in French sounds just like "Le lit en dor" the golden bed), and Jerry Lewis.
>
> Exactly. The French love a good double entendre and the fact is that
> chou refers to cabbage and cream puffs, so whose to say what your "petit
> ami" was really calling you?

LOL. Le petit ami, was a widower (sad story, wife killed in car crash when
they were very young, with 2 little kids - IIRC about 2 for the son and 4
for the daughter - he raised them solo) about 10 or so years older than me -
so I was actually closer to the kids in age it seemed. And got to
practice/learn a lot of French slang - as the kids were in college (like
post high school year) and the other just in university and Michel was a
very youthful 40+. Hey, everyone needs a French beau if the opportunity
arises - at least for a time. We lasted about 2+ years, most of the time I
was there, and then long distance for about 9 months (with visits). Point
being - you're right - they do love puns, and heck, they would laugh a lot
with the translations of "my leetle cabbage" vs "my leetle creampuff" or
"mon petit fill in the blank" . Heck, there are so many ways to refer to
one's boy/girl friend with different connotations - it can be daunting. Let
alone how many "petit bisou" are a greeting - age, region, familiarity (not
so much sex) all coming into play. I just love starting working mornings
with a series of handshakes and petit bisou - and then when my American
colleagues would be over for a meeting - the confusion on their faces as the
locals and I were a bit different (doing 3 generally) as opposed to just a
handshake, or one lonely little kiss hello. Even funnier when the French
colleague/friends were here for work.

ellice

May 2, 2008, 9:43:07 AM5/2/08
On 4/30/08 4:48 PM, "Trish Brown" <pmcb...@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Dr. Brat wrote:
>> Trish Brown wrote:
>>

>>> Hee! Since I always get the two mixed up, I play it safe and say 'Ma
>>> petite sprout de bruxelles' instead.
>>
>> *snort* It's "chou de bruxelles" and it's still masculine. If you're
>> going to insist on the feminine, it's "choute"
>>
>> Elizabeth
>

> Fair dink, you are a caution, Elizabeth! I've written all this down and
> have repeated it several times in the hope it sticks. I never heard of
> 'choute'! I think I'll stay away from Bruxelles, even in jest. It's
> safer that way. ;->
>
> And speakin' of those blasted sprouts (sounds like 'blast-ended skrewts'
> for those of the Harry Potter persuasion), my DD *loves* them! I can't
> believe this! DH and DS and I find they taste like undiluted sewage but
> DD had them at a friend's place and reckons they're great. I keep a
> little bag of frozen ones just for her and she cooks them herself (I
> can't stand the stench). Bleargh! Kid's not *normal*!

Just laughing about this. I never had them until I was an adult, and now
like them - though not too often. However, they are one of DH's favorites,
along with asparagus. And our furry son - Puckster the Springer Spaniel -
has evidently inherited his dad's taste buds. Yes, boys and girls, our dog
eats Brussels Sprouts. Pretty weird. But, we limit them - for fear of any
ill and stinky effects.

> I love veggies and will eat just about anything, but not brussels
> sprouts (gonna call 'em blast-ended skrewts from now on)!

I think my DM felt that way as well.

Ellice

ellice

May 2, 2008, 9:45:44 AM5/2/08

Ut oh, Marg. You'll start the sprout wars - to X or not to X - that is the
queston. I have to agree with Sheena, IIRC, depending on size, they can be
done without the X - but generally, I do the X if they're biggish sprouts.
Recently did the roasting on a sheet pan with some olive oil and seasoning
-high heat in oven - very good.

Ellice

Karen C in California

May 2, 2008, 1:34:51 AM5/2/08
Trish Brown wrote:
> Remember back in the sixties and seventies when people used to pull baby
> girls' hair up into a ponytail on the very apex of their heads? Kids
> looked as though they had a fountain sprouting out of their branes!

And then there is the ridiculous look adopted by parents of a
bushy-haired child, in which they make a round pouf on either side of
the top of the head, making the child look like she has Mickey Mouse ears.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Finished 4/3/08 - Stitcher's Blessing

WIP: MLI The Teacher (gift to the library),
Bethany Angel, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/

mir...@actcom.co.il

May 3, 2008, 12:16:18 AM5/3/08
On May 2, 4:45 pm, ellice <egir...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Ellice- Hide quoted text -

Steam them in a Steamer , no X needed.
mirjam

mir...@actcom.co.il

May 3, 2008, 12:18:04 AM5/3/08
The hair dos of all forms weren`t so bad , i found the ENORMOUS
Ribbon horrid ,,,,
mirjam

Pat P

May 3, 2008, 2:14:17 PM5/3/08

"Trish Brown" <pmcb...@internode.on.net> wrote in message

> Susan Hartman wrote:
>> Trish -
>>
>> It is WONDERFUL to have you back! I've missed your stories. You had me
>> laughing so hard - I could just picture the "tumor"!
>>
>> Sue
>>

> Thanks, Sue! ;-D
>
> Remember back in the sixties and seventies when people used to pull baby
> girls' hair up into a ponytail on the very apex of their heads? Kids
> looked as though they had a fountain sprouting out of their branes! Well,
> Madame's tumour was a variation on that theme, I think... It started as a
> ponytail but was then bound and nailed down so that it looked exactly as
> though a portion of Madame's head had suddenly erupted up in a spherical
> lump about six inches high. Madame, of course, had responded to this
> phenomenon by capitalising on it! She tied on her black velvet ribbon,
> whacked it into a bow and added M. 'ocking's diamond to finish the
> ensemble.

An old school friend of ours started doing her hair that way about 25 years
ago (prior to that she had a very attractive bob which really suited her).
Most of us were of the opinion that the new hair style was just a cheap
"Face lift".

This was borne out the other week when one of our old friends called on her
early in the morning when both her hair (and her face) hadn`t yet been
tightened up for the day, resulting in the passable imitation of a
bloodhound!

Pat

MargW

May 3, 2008, 3:56:55 PM5/3/08

MMMM- I'm going to have to try that method - sounds wonderful.

MargW

Pat P

May 3, 2008, 5:12:52 PM5/3/08

"MargW" <mwhi...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

I love sprouts too, never bother with the"X". Only lightly boiled anyway -
we like them crunchy. My ex S.I.L always refers to them as "Fart capsules".

Pat

Trish Brown

May 3, 2008, 10:59:29 PM5/3/08
ROTFLMAO!!! I never thought of that!!!

Hm. Just when I'd cut me bl**dy hair off, too. I'll have to wait a while
to see whether I can tighten up the old phizz...

Trish Brown

May 3, 2008, 11:02:12 PM5/3/08
'Blast-ended skrewts' or 'little pills of poison'. They taste
*disgusting* - hasn't any of you noticed that small factor? You can pile
white sauce or gravy or anything you like on them - they still taste
like liquid fertiliser! AND the aftertaste remains for hours. 'Fart
capsules' isn't far wrong, either. You can't imagine what it's like to
go into DD's room after she's eaten the filthy little things!

Jeannette in Los Angeles, CA

May 3, 2008, 11:47:30 PM5/3/08
On May 3, 8:02 pm, Trish Brown <pmcbr...@internode.on.net> wrote:
> Pat P wrote:
> > "MargW" <mwhit...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> ellice wrote:
> Trish {|:-} Newcastle, NSW, Australia- Hide quoted text -

Trish, just why are your drinking liquid fertilizer?
Just wondering.....

Jeannette
Los Angeles, CA

Trish Brown

May 4, 2008, 7:18:06 AM5/4/08
Jeannette in Los Angeles, CA wrote:

> Trish, just why are your drinking liquid fertilizer?
> Just wondering.....
>

> Jeannette
> Los Angeles, CA

Hee! I was testing to prove that it really *does* taste like brussels
sprouts, wasn't I? Gotta say, the fertiliser won the taste test!

Pat P

May 4, 2008, 5:20:53 PM5/4/08

"Jeannette in Los Angeles, CA" <Manek...@msn.com> wrote in message

Funny how the duvet always feels lighter after eating sprouts!

Pat

Dr. Brat

May 5, 2008, 9:40:38 AM5/5/08
Trish Brown wrote:

> Dr. Brat wrote:
>
>> Trish Brown wrote:
>>

>>> Fair dink, you are a caution, Elizabeth!
>>

>> French I can handle. Don't know about Austrailian. Will someone tell
>> me if this is a compliment? LOL!
>>
>> Elizabeth
>

> Of course, silly! If I wanted to *not* compliment you, I'd've called you
> a galah. But then... even 'galah' can be complimentary if said with the
> proper inflection.

*snicker* and I'd still have had to ask for a translation! *giggle*

Elizabeth (I'm a caution. so there!)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cheryl Isaak

May 6, 2008, 7:54:58 AM5/6/08
On 5/2/08 9:45 AM, in article C4409348.BAA6%egi...@verizon.net, "ellice"
<egi...@verizon.net> wrote:

Hmm - wonder if there are any left in the market

Joan E.

May 7, 2008, 11:02:24 AM5/7/08
On May 3, 1:14 pm, "Pat P" <eaxstitchNOS...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> An old school friend of ours started doing her hair that way about 25 years
> ago (prior to that she had a very attractive bob which really suited her).

> Most of us were of the opinion that the new hairstyle was just a cheap

> "Face lift".
>
> This was borne out the other week when one of our old friends called on her
> early in the morning when both her hair (and her face) hadn't yet been
> tightened up for the day, resulting in the passable imitation of a
> bloodhound!

ROTFLMBO!!! I just rec'd this in my email:

A woman visited her plastic surgeon who told her about a new procedure
called 'The Knob,' where a small knob is placed at the top of the
woman's head and could be turned to tighten up her skin and produce
the effect of a brand new facelift. Of course, the woman wanted ...
'The Knob.'

Over the course of the years, the woman tightened the knob, and the
effects were wonderful, the woman remained young looking and vibrant.

After fifteen years, the woman returned to the surgeon with two
problems. 'All these years, everything has been working just fine.
I've had to turn the knob many times and I've always loved the
results. But now I've developed two annoying problems: First, I have
these terrible bags under my eyes and the knob won't get rid of
them.'

The doctor looked at her closely and said, 'Those aren't bags, those
are your boobs.'

She said, 'Well, I guess there's no point in asking about the
goatee....

Joan

Magic Mood Jeep ©

May 7, 2008, 8:30:21 PM5/7/08

Where was the spew warning on that one? You owe me a new laptop!

--
>^..^< This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Joan E.

May 8, 2008, 11:03:39 AM5/8/08

Aaahh, sorry 'bout that! I thought leaving Pat's post would be
warning enough! :)

Joan