Ort

MJB5019

Mar 23, 2002, 1:56:42 PM3/23/02
I thought we had made up the word but I found it in Webster's dictionary:
Main Entry: ort
Pronunciation: 'ort
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle Low German orte
Date: 15th century
: a morsel left at a meal : SCRAP

Mj in southern California
Big 3 sites for newbies
http://www.dnai.com/~kdyer/ online stitchers "bible"
http://www.crl.com/~dmcmahon/ where the abbreviations live
http://powerup.com.au/~sheal/freebie2.html tons of freebies

Meridel Abrams

Mar 23, 2002, 6:54:06 PM3/23/02
"MJB5019" <mjb...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I thought we had made up the word but I found it in Webster's dictionary:
> Main Entry: ort
> Pronunciation: 'ort
> Function: noun
> Etymology: Middle English, from Middle Low German orte
> Date: 15th century
> : a morsel left at a meal : SCRAP

I could be wrong, but I think the word we adopted was *ort port* ... meaning a
place to store all our little snippets

I first remember hearing the word *ort port* in 1994 when I first went only ...
in those long ago days when people such as Kathy Dyer, Skyhooks, Cameoroze, and
MLI visited a stitch chat on AOL ... in fact I think I first heard the word
*ort-port* from Kathy Dyer if memory serves me correct ..

I always knew the word ort existed ... I heard that word at a LNS in Iowa when I
lived there, but the shopowner used it to mean scraps of fabric more than
snippets of threads [though I've heard the word used for both in online
needlework discussions]

btw, over the years I have accumulated wayyyy tooo many ort-ports -- 1) a Ball
canning jar (my first) 2) glass Christmas ornaments 3) an antique glass log
cabin syrup jar 4) my very own portable ort port -- a piece of aida cloth that I
keep those longer extra lengths of cut threads which I don't need for projects
.. 5) a UFO Ort Port Sampler ... and lately I have been stuffing my ort threads
in an antique cut glass salad plate -- I love them showing up in the cut glass.

I have lots more to say about orts <g> ... someday when my aabbccdd.com
*finally* goes live ... I am still shooting for that in the near future (getting
aabbccdd.com up and going)

Just a snippet from me,

Meri Abrams
me...@aabbccdd.com

Meridel Abrams

Mar 23, 2002, 6:56:54 PM3/23/02

"Meridel Abrams" <indy...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I first remember hearing the word *ort port* in 1994 when I first went only

I just have to correct this sentence! It should read:
I first remember hearing the word *ort port* in 1994 when I first went online

sorry :/

Meri Abrams
indy...@aabbccdd.com

PaulaB

Mar 23, 2002, 9:45:30 PM3/23/02
mjb...@aol.com (MJB5019) wrote in message news:<20020323135642...@mb-da.aol.com>...

> I thought we had made up the word but I found it in Webster's dictionary:
> Main Entry: ort
> Pronunciation: 'ort
> Function: noun
> Etymology: Middle English, from Middle Low German orte
> Date: 15th century
> : a morsel left at a meal : SCRAP

> Mj in southern California

It's used in crossword puzzles with some regularity...took me a while
to catch on, for some reason! Paula B.

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Mar 24, 2002, 8:37:31 PM3/24/02
Will someone who is into astronomy correct me if I am wrong but I seem to
remember learning -- and reading in SF books -- about a vast ring of small
asteroids and dust encircling our solar system -- or something like that -- way
out in the furthest reaches. If memory serves, this is called The Ort (or
maybe Oort) Cloud. Am I totally losing my mind or does someone else remember
this?? I always assumed it got the name becuase the bits and pieces that make
up the cloud are just that -- comparatively small bits and pieces of other
celestial bodies. CiaoMeow >^;;^<
.
PAX, Tia Mary >^;;^<
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!
Visit my albums @ http://www.picturetrail.com Username is tiamary (no caps,
no spaces)

Deborah Pesa

Mar 24, 2002, 11:09:04 PM3/24/02
Oort cloud is a term used by Anne McCaffrey in her Dragon series. Honestly,
I'm not up on astronomy enough to know whether this is a real term or one
made up by Anne for the book.

--
Deborah Pesa dp...@bestweb.net
Queens, NYC AIM: DebbieJRT

Seanette Blaylock

Mar 24, 2002, 11:10:30 PM3/24/02
catwo...@aol.comnekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) had
some very interesting things to say about Re: Ort:

> Will someone who is into astronomy correct me if I am wrong but I seem to
>remember learning -- and reading in SF books -- about a vast ring of small
>asteroids and dust encircling our solar system -- or something like that -- way
>out in the furthest reaches. If memory serves, this is called The Ort (or
>maybe Oort) Cloud. Am I totally losing my mind or does someone else remember
>this?? I always assumed it got the name becuase the bits and pieces that make
>up the cloud are just that -- comparatively small bits and pieces of other
>celestial bodies.

I've heard of the Oort Cloud too.

--
Seanette Blaylock
WIPs: knitted hat/scarf set

KDLark

Mar 25, 2002, 12:16:23 AM3/25/02
>Oort cloud is a term used by Anne McCaffrey in her Dragon series. Honestly,
>I'm not up on astronomy enough to know whether this is a real term or one
>made up by Anne for the book.

...the ort cloud is the thing that bombards the Pernians with deadly "thread,"
right? Mmm, there seems to be a connection here!

Katrina L.

Anna

Mar 25, 2002, 8:22:47 AM3/25/02
MJB5019 <mjb...@aol.com> wrote:

> I thought we had made up the word but I found it in Webster's dictionary:
> Main Entry: ort
> Pronunciation: 'ort
> Function: noun
> Etymology: Middle English, from Middle Low German orte
> Date: 15th century
> : a morsel left at a meal : SCRAP

I guess it just goes to prove that there's nothing new under the sun ...
:)

Anna
Derbyshire, England

WIP: "Spirit of Scotland" (DMC)
"Easter Egg" (xstitch card)

Finished: "Better Not Pout" (Dimensions) (23/03)
"China Dresser" Fridge Magnet (Cross Stitch Collection
Magazine) (23/03)
"Easter Parade" (xstitch Card) (24/03)
Hardanger Bookmark (24/03)

Undo the knot to mail me.

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Mar 25, 2002, 8:26:28 AM3/25/02
>From: Seanette Blaylock seanette.spam...@impulse.net

>I've heard of the Oort Cloud too.

Well that does it then! If Seanette and I have both heard of the Oort cloud
than it MUST be astronomical gospel!!! :-))))) LOLOL! Steven Hawking would
be having a stroke about now dontcha think?!?!?!? CiaoMeow >^;;^<

B Kildow

Mar 25, 2002, 10:24:15 AM3/25/02

Absolutely correct on the "Ort Cloud":

"KELLAN (voice-over): Scientists think many comets that were formed on
the edges of the universe are still there in a giant spherical cloud
called the Ort Cloud. Every now and then a comet is jogged lose and
falls into our solar system and enter into orbit around the sun. That's
when a comet develops it's tail." - from
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9703/hale.bopp/stories/smn.08.html

BK <tracker99atfoxinternetdotnet>

Silverbells

Mar 25, 2002, 12:56:57 PM3/25/02
I have heard of Orts on and off- but I can't figure out why it is
important to keep them other than maybe its pretty to do so? I (for
some reason) remember that if you knot the ort- you can throw it away?
is that correct or not?

I don't have any stitchers in my family- so I am lost on temrinology and
tradition.

TIA,

Julie
Richmond, VA

Lollee

Mar 25, 2002, 1:52:36 PM3/25/02
In article <20020324203731...@mb-df.aol.com>,

catwo...@aol.comnekoluvr (Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) writes:

>Will someone who is into astronomy correct me if I am wrong but I seem to
>remember learning -- and reading in SF books -- about a vast ring of small
>asteroids and dust encircling our solar system -- or something like that --
>way
>out in the furthest reaches. If memory serves, this is called The Ort (or
>maybe Oort) Cloud. Am I totally losing my mind or does someone else remember
>this??

Yes there is such a thing. It's called the Oort Cloud and it's considered the
source for most of the comets that head toward the sun every so often. The Oort
Cloud is a spherical shell enclosing the solar system at a distance of 1 light
year. It consists of billions of comets and has a total mass about that of
Earth.It's named for Jan Oort, a Dutch astronomer who hypothesized its
existence back in the 1950s. (Actually, it's existence is a theory, since we
haven't actually sent any probes out that far yet. Finding out if it exists is
one of the remaining tasks of Voyager, as I understand it.)
Lollee

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to
anger."
J.R.R. Tolkien, "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Mar 25, 2002, 2:13:11 PM3/25/02
>From: lollee...@aol.com (Lollee )

>Yes there is such a thing. It's called the Oort Cloud and it's considered the

>source for most of the comets that head toward the sun every so often.....

>It's named for Jan Oort, a Dutch astronomer who hypothesized its

>existence back in the 1950s......

And here I thpought it had gotten the name from the dictionary word "ort"
and was just spelled strangely -- you know those scientist types :-))).

Bmciowa

Mar 25, 2002, 2:43:12 PM3/25/02
>I have heard of Orts on and off- but I can't figure out why it is
>important to keep them other than maybe its pretty to do so? I (for
>some reason) remember that if you knot the ort- you can throw it away?
>is that correct or not?

Orts are just the little leftover lengths of thread that are too short to
stitch with. Some people save them in clear Xmas ornaments or other little
containers as a reminder of all they've accomplished. Me, I just pitch 'em!

Sara
WIP: Aleph Bet Sampler (Treasury of Jewish Cross Stitch) DONE!
Daily Bagel (Mill Hill)

kvgates

Mar 25, 2002, 8:27:16 PM3/25/02
<snip>

> Orts are just the little leftover lengths of thread that are too short to
> stitch with. Some people save them in clear Xmas ornaments or other
little
> containers as a reminder of all they've accomplished. Me, I just pitch
'em!
> snip!>

Or watch them walk away on my husband, daughter, son.... ;-)

--
Vicki in WA State
WIP - Christmas House (DMC freebie), kids' afghans, Precious Moments Pillow,

"Bmciowa" <bmc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >I have heard of Orts on and off- but I can't figure out why it is
> >important to keep them other than maybe its pretty to do so? I (for
> >some reason) remember that if you knot the ort- you can throw it away?
> >is that correct or not?

Pat Gonzales

Mar 26, 2002, 9:05:28 AM3/26/02
In article <20020325144312...@mb-md.aol.com>, Bmciowa
<bmc...@aol.com> wrote:

> >I have heard of Orts on and off- but I can't figure out why it is
> >important to keep them other than maybe its pretty to do so? I (for
> >some reason) remember that if you knot the ort- you can throw it away?
> >is that correct or not?
>
> Orts are just the little leftover lengths of thread that are too short to
> stitch with. Some people save them in clear Xmas ornaments or other little
> containers as a reminder of all they've accomplished. Me, I just pitch 'em!

I always enjoy the play of color with the various snippets of thread (a
la a scrap quilt). I just bought a clear oil cruet (sp?) at Michaels --
it has a cork on top -- and am using that for my current thead snippets
It doesn't have much in it right now but I think it will be an
interesting display piece once it gets more thread in it!

Pat G.

Trevor & Amber Ward

Mar 26, 2002, 9:28:53 AM3/26/02
I can't find any astronomical references to the term, though that doesn't
mean they don't exist :-) I did find this, however, from Merriam-Webster
Online Dictionary at http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

Date: 15th century
: a morsel left at a meal : SCRAP

A couple of dictionaries I have here have essentially the same definition,
with the note "usually plural." No kidding, eh?

Amber

"Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply " <catwo...@aol.comnekoluvr> wrote in
message news:20020324203731...@mb-df.aol.com...

Bmciowa

Mar 26, 2002, 9:50:15 AM3/26/02

>Or watch them walk away on my husband, daughter, son.... ;-)

cat....

PaulaB

Mar 26, 2002, 1:40:03 PM3/26/02
bmc...@aol.com (Bmciowa) wrote in message news:<20020326095015...@mb-dh.aol.com>...

> >Or watch them walk away on my husband, daughter, son.... ;-)
> >

> cat....
> Sara

or dog. (Or the neighborhood kids. That's happened too.) Paula B.

B Kildow

Mar 27, 2002, 12:27:36 PM3/27/02

Use them like a trail of breadcrumbs to find your way back to wherever
you left something?

Where in WA, Virginia? I'm in Auburn.

BK <to reply, remove "nospam." from the 'reply to' address>

Darla

Mar 30, 2002, 11:10:26 AM3/30/02
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:05:28 -0500, Pat Gonzales <pag...@pop.uky.edu>
wrote:

>I always enjoy the play of color with the various snippets of thread (a
>la a scrap quilt). I just bought a clear oil cruet (sp?) at Michaels --
>it has a cork on top -- and am using that for my current thead snippets
>It doesn't have much in it right now but I think it will be an
>interesting display piece once it gets more thread in it!

I normally use a washed-out mayo jar, since we keep our good canning
jars for canning. I found a heart-shaped jar, at The Container Store,
which I stuffed with orts. And just recently I bought a squarish jar
with a faint greenish tint to the glass, and it's now been stuffed
nearly full.
Darla
May the light always find you on a dreary day,
When you need to be home, may you find a way.
May you always have courage to take a chance,
And never find frogs in your underpants! -- Unknown