Very mundane question - What's the best way to paint glass?

Marc

Mar 17, 2001, 10:51:43 AM3/17/01
I hate to bother y'all on such a simple subject but I want to paint glass
containers to use for cut flowers. Where and how do I start?

Thanks,

Marc

pancho or amama

Mar 17, 2001, 5:05:38 PM3/17/01
Hi Marc,

Any time I get the urge to start a new craft, the first place I go to is my
local library. That way, I can do all the research and reading I want for
free, and it gives me a good idea of what type of supplies and books I'll
need to get started.

Good luck with your new venture!
amama

welshwren

Mar 19, 2001, 3:44:17 PM3/19/01
Hi Marc
Glass painting is really not very difficult to do but before starting on
your glass containers you should practise on a flat, level surface. An
acetate sheet (such as you can use for overhead projector transparencies) is
ideal.

1 Place your pattern underneath the sheet and stick it in place with
masking tape - either to your work surface or to the reverse of your acetate
or glass.
For your first attempt this pattern sheet should be a series of short and
long straight lines, short and long squiggly lines, dots, circles,
triangles, little flowers etc. This will help you get the feel of the
materials.

2 Starting with the furtherest point and working towards you (so you
don't smudge your work), begin outlining the design with outliner paste The
tip of the outliner tube should touch the surface to start the "line" then
continue drawing with the tip just above the surface - you will be able to
move the tube slightly without the paste actually touching the acetate
straight away - it will fall (gracefully!) into place. Touch the tip t the
surface to finish. Maintain a steady pressure and speed - too slow and the
outliner will be thick and lumpy- too fast and the thin line will break
regularly.

3 You are aiming for a smooth even line with no breaks as when the
outliner dries it will form raised edges. These raised edges form a well
and prevent the glass paint from spreading into the adjoining part of the
pattern.

4 Leave to dry thoroughly - maybe 15 mins- lift to the light to check
that there are no breaks in your lines - fill in if necessary.

5 Load your brush with enough paint so that you can drip it into your
chosen part of the design - gently ease the paint into the edges rather than
work the brush back and forth in a painting motion - this creates unsightly
brush marks. Any bubbles should be coaxed to the edges.

6. Leave to dry flat as per manufacturers instructions.

If working on a curved surface such as a jar, you may need to let the paint
dry on each section to prevent running, before turning the article around to
do the next part.

Oops this took up rather more space than I intended - hope it helps. Make
sure your surface is clean, dry and free from grease before starting.

Good webwite at www.rainbowglass.co.uk they have a chat room on Monday
evenings between 8.30 and 9.30pm (UK time) so would be good for help and
advice - their products are good too.
(no connection!!)

Happy painting

Jenni