Painting on glass

Liz

Aug 2, 2001, 9:46:26 AM8/2/01
Can anyone point me to a good website which can give tips on painting on
windows to recreate the effect of leaded stained glass? Or indeed anyone
out there who has done this and knows the best way of going about it?

Dazzlelee

Aug 2, 2001, 10:07:19 PM8/2/01
I haven't seen a website, but have used Plaid Gallery Glass to paint my
windows. It dries like stained glass and has leading that can be
applied. Patterns and supplies can be purchased in any craft store and
on QVC. One of the best things about it is that when you get tired of
looking at it, you can score it with a razor blade and tear it right off
(on glass only, it won't come off of plastic or plexi-glass). It also
serves as an insulation on your windows. There are about 40 different
colors to choose from. It's very easy and fun to do. You aren't limited
to just windows. It can be applied to jars, bottles, etc. E-mail me and
I'll forward some pics to you. Lee

kas

Aug 2, 2001, 10:54:25 PM8/2/01
I have a question regarding these paints. I wanted to do my bathroom
window, but the directions suggest that it shouldn't be used around
moisture. Have you ever used this around a wet area?

Karen

Sally Barron

Aug 3, 2001, 7:57:48 AM8/3/01
www.everyday.co.uk

our kits can be used in bathrooms and on tiles,mirrors,windows

Regards Sally

Tina Dotzler

Aug 3, 2001, 9:48:42 PM8/3/01
I have painted the window in my kids bathroom and have no problem with the
moisture. We did their bathroom in a underwater theme and the window is done
to look like an aquarium. I first did the fish and coral, etc. on a sheet of
saran wrap which was covering a piece of cardboard that had the pattern on it
and then I put those on the window and filled the rest in with the blue
water. We have had this up almost a year now and it looks just as good as
when I first did it. I don't know if it would make a difference if you
weren't covering the whole window. Give it a try I love how ours turned out.

Tina

Dianna Visek

Aug 3, 2001, 10:44:44 PM8/3/01
I don't get the bit about the Saran wrap. Could you give more
details?

Thanks, Dianna

Tina Dotzler

Aug 3, 2001, 11:54:49 PM8/3/01
If you wrap the saran wrap around the cardboard whick has a pattern drawn on it
you can then peel off the galary glass once it dries. You need to have the saran
wrap tight on the cardboard. You also need to do the leading first and let it
dry before you add the color. You can also use a clear plastic bag like from the
dry cleaners. I had a little better luck using the dry cleaner bag. It was
easier to remove the dried image. I found these tips in a galary glass pattern
book. Good luck

Tina

Liz

Aug 4, 2001, 9:00:58 AM8/4/01
I plan to do my design, which is going to be really simple because I'm a
beginner, straight onto the window using lead strip. Have you used lead
strip which comes in a roll, rather than liquid lead outliner? And if so,
is it successful?
"Tina Dotzler" <tina...@harlannet.com> wrote in message

Dazzlelee

Aug 4, 2001, 8:49:51 AM8/4/01
>>>I have a question regarding
>>>these paints. I wanted to do
>>>my bathroom window, but the
>>>directions suggest that it shouldn't
>>>be used around moisture. Have
>>>you ever used this around a wet area?

Hi Karen.

I've found that as long as the window that's painted doesn't get water
directly on it, it'll be fine. I have one painted window in my master
bath above a tub and that never gets wet. In my second bath (guest bath)
there is a window in the shower/tub combo and it gets wet when the
shower is used. What happens is that the paint gets cloudy, but dries
ok. I'm not sure how it would be if it got wet on an everyday basis. It
can only be cleaned with a moist cloth...it can't have anything sprayed
direclty on it. Lee

Dazzlelee

Aug 4, 2001, 8:56:49 AM8/4/01
You can also use those plastic sheets that are in the ceiling that cover
tube lights to make design effects with the paints. You would smear a
light layer of paint onto the plastic sheet (similar to putting icing on
a cake). Let it dry and just peel it off and cut out sizes or pieces
that you need and apply. In the craft stores they sell small pieces if
this plastic with different designs, such as ferns. I've also used flat
molds to make a prism effect and mold to make stained glass look alike
3d flowers for wreaths and center pieces.

Tina Dotzler

Aug 4, 2001, 12:04:07 AM8/4/01
I haven't used the lead strips because you have to have all straight lines. I
have bought some but the pattern I did had no straight lines. I think the
strips would be easier to use if you were going to do a traditional stained
glass look with geometric shapes. Let us know how it turns out.
Tina