OT Good news (from "who will be the first")

Don Foreman

Apr 14, 2010, 12:13:19 AM4/14/10
Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done
entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and
elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of
technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has
a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does
require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and
consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability
along the way.

It's a complex procedure that can take from 6 to 9 hours, a lot of
high-tech kit and I don't know how many people in the operating
theater. Hers took six, which I immediately regarded as a good omen.

Prognosis is sometimes not clear for two to three months but she's
already ticking like a Timex, a very good sign.

The doc seemed quite pleased with her progress, his performance or
both. I intend absolutely no disrespect there, quite the contrary.
There isn't a speck of arrogance about this doctor though he is
obviously highly respected at this hospital which is among the 100
best cardiac centers in the nation. Luck of the draw, we happen to
live close. We both like how he presents.

All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU
and probably come home tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of
"prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

Ed Huntress

Apr 14, 2010, 12:20:39 AM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

Great news, Don. Keep us informed.

Don't worry about doctors who seem to be caught up in their "performance."
Like top actors, scientists, generals, and many others, they need
extraordinary confidence and ego to do their job. Without it, they're
useless. After it's over is the time for them to worry about the patient.
Until then, it's their show, their pride of performance, and their extreme
self-confidence that carries them through.

--
Ed Huntress

Steve B

Apr 14, 2010, 12:45:20 AM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

Was that one of the new mitral valve clamps by Abbott?

Steve

Denis G.

Apr 14, 2010, 1:18:29 AM4/14/10
On Apr 13, 11:13 pm, Don Foreman <dfore...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net>
wrote:

MIDCAB? Glad she's doing well and you folks are in good hands.

Don Foreman

Apr 14, 2010, 2:00:25 AM4/14/10

Aside from actors, I disagree. The ingredients of leadership are
confidence, competence, and ability to motivate and lead other
contributors essential to accomplishment of mission or objective. Ego
may attend, is acceptable and forgivable if and only if it doesn't
impair performance as a leader as well as a performer.

A devinely-inspired and supremely-talented general can't individually
accomplish any more than a private with comparable combat skill, and
the well-trained private will certainly be younger, stronger and
quicker. Talent differentiates individual performers and contributors
but individual contributors seldom get it done outside of sports and
show biz.

The time for the surgeon to worry about the patient is at initial
encounter and constantly thereafter during subsequent activities.
That's what we've seen both with Mary's surgeon and with mine a coupla
years ago. Both ops were small team efforts. These talented
physicians (and their small teams) are real people that relate to and
regard their patients with caring respect. I guess I can't assert
that as a generality, but this has been our experience. We're
ordinary seniors with medicare and supplemental, not richbitch elite
by any stretch.

When I visited my surgeon for post-op checkup a coupla weeks after
discharge, I didn't bring my heart pillow though I was far from done
with it. Dr. Anderson asked me to grip his hand as firmly as I could,
don't know why. I asked him if he was sure he wanted me to do that.
He grinned, said to back off if I see him flinch.

I gripped, he flinched and grinned. "I won't need to see you again.
Your rehab regimen starts now. Let's talk about rifles."

Our colleagues and lunch buds during our careers (and some shooting
buds post-career) included some world-class scientists, so perhaps our
ability to ask good questions has contributed to our very positive
experiences. I don't think so, because most experiences were
post-priori. I think that we've been shot and blessed with luck.
Living in the twin cities area was undoubtedly a beneficial factor.

We've been incredibly lucky with neighbors and with health care
professionals. And with each other. And with good wishes and prayers
from some of y'all.

Now, can we get back to pissing each other off? <G>

Don Foreman

Apr 14, 2010, 2:03:06 AM4/14/10

Remediation of atrial fibrillation, valves not involved.

Don Foreman

Apr 14, 2010, 2:12:49 AM4/14/10

Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
quality-of-life issue.

Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
life.

cavelamb

Apr 14, 2010, 2:33:15 AM4/14/10
On 4/13/2010 11:13 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
> Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
> she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.
>
> It wasn't as invasive as split-sternum surgery because it's done
> entirely via catheters threaded thru major veins from groin and
> elsewhere, guided by ultrasound, xray, computers and a bunch of
> technology. It's fairly new and not widely practiced, but already has
> a better success rate than a more traditional procedure which does
> require chest entry, splitting and spreading of sternum, and
> consequent long recovery with significant discomfort and disability
> along the way.
>

> Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers. Mary had a bunch of
> "prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.

Real big yea!, Don.
Give her all our best wishes.

--

Richard Lamb

Ignoramus18864

Apr 14, 2010, 8:50:26 AM4/14/10
Don, congratulations.

Ed Huntress

Apr 14, 2010, 9:26:35 AM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

I'm not talking about leadership, but about the personal qualities needed to
accomplish certain things that terrify most people.

Sure. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Denis G.

Apr 14, 2010, 9:58:41 AM4/14/10
> life.  - Hide quoted text -

When she feels stronger and more alert, I'm guessing that you might
have some increased competition at the shooting range.

Buerste

Apr 14, 2010, 10:04:14 AM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

Now spoil the heck out of her when she gets home.

Steve B

Apr 14, 2010, 11:23:51 AM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling
fine now.

Steve

Larry Jaques

Apr 14, 2010, 11:59:13 AM4/14/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:12:49 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:

>On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:18:29 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
><guil...@gis.net> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 13, 11:13 pm, Don Foreman <dfore...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net>
>>wrote:
>>> Mary's heart surgery went very well.

Great to hear, Don!

>>> All signs were good as of 1730 today. She'll spend the night in ICU
>>> and probably come home tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone for good wishes and prayers.  Mary had a bunch of
>>> "prayer warriors" (her term) on her six.
>>
>>MIDCAB? Glad she's doing well and you folks are in good hands.
>
>Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
>usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
>quality-of-life issue.

Scary shit, Maynard. Laser or RF? What did they actually vaporize?
Was there a growth next to the atrial valve or muscle?

>Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
>or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
>not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
>life.

Long ago, in a spine very close to me, doctors wanted to go in with an
RF probe and nuke the nerves going to my right arm to relieve pain. I
said "MICROWAVE MY SPINE?" and "Um, don't the nerves tell me when to
stop twisting so I don't sever my spine? What happens when I don't get
those signals and keep twisting? Wouldn't it paralyze me?" When the
doctor answered "Yes" to all three questions and added that it was a
new technique that he, himself, hadn't yet used, I said "Um, pass."
15 years later, Crom, nature, and time saw to it that I was 85%
improved. Now, 25 years later, I'm putting up decks (with care) and
such.

Pass on a "Heal quickly, Mary!" message for me, will ya?

--
STOP THE SLAUGHTER! Boycott Baby Oil!

Don Foreman

Apr 14, 2010, 1:24:17 PM4/14/10

Yeah! It's been a while since her last range visit!

John R. Carroll

Apr 14, 2010, 4:04:49 PM4/14/10
Don Foreman wrote:
> Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
> she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

That's great Don.

--
John R. Carroll

Spehro Pefhany

Apr 14, 2010, 3:15:19 PM4/14/10
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:13:19 -0500, Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote:

>Mary's heart surgery went very well. I was there for 12 hours until
>she shooed me outta there to go grab some grub and call some people.

That's great news, Don!

EIsmith

Apr 14, 2010, 4:08:36 PM4/14/10

"Don Foreman" <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote in message

My best to you and your wife. I understand exactly where the two of you are
right now because I had the same procedure done 6 yrs ago in May. It was
(and remains) successful. Its good to hear they shortened the process a bit
mine took almost 15 hrs, not that I could tell but it was hell on the wife.
The doc I had sounds similar to yours, kind, modest and caring. He took an
enormous amount of time to explain the procedure, the risks and educate me
so I could ask questions. I can't say enough good things about him or his
staff. It was about 2 weeks of "intense" recovery (mostly the ill-effects of
being in a drug induced coma for 15 hrs) a year of anti-coagulant therapy
and follow up visits but worth not having to take 3-4 cardiac meds and other
meds to lesson the side effects of the first 3-4 meds for the next 40+
years.

If my experience can be of any use to you just ask
6 yrs no fib

Andrew

Steve W.

Apr 14, 2010, 5:51:41 PM4/14/10
Don Foreman wrote:

SNIP

> When I visited my surgeon for post-op checkup a coupla weeks after
> discharge, I didn't bring my heart pillow though I was far from done
> with it. Dr. Anderson asked me to grip his hand as firmly as I could,
> don't know why. I asked him if he was sure he wanted me to do that.
> He grinned, said to back off if I see him flinch.
>
> I gripped, he flinched and grinned. "I won't need to see you again.
> Your rehab regimen starts now. Let's talk about rifles."
>
> Our colleagues and lunch buds during our careers (and some shooting
> buds post-career) included some world-class scientists, so perhaps our
> ability to ask good questions has contributed to our very positive
> experiences. I don't think so, because most experiences were
> post-priori. I think that we've been shot and blessed with luck.
> Living in the twin cities area was undoubtedly a beneficial factor.
>
> We've been incredibly lucky with neighbors and with health care
> professionals. And with each other. And with good wishes and prayers
> from some of y'all.
>
> Now, can we get back to pissing each other off? <G>

Your Doctor made the same mistake as mine. The only thing different was
mine asked me to squeeze as hard and as fast as I could. He will not be
making that mistake again! Nothing like a couple broken bones to wake
you up!

--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Steve W.

Apr 14, 2010, 5:59:09 PM4/14/10
Don Foreman wrote:

> Not MIDCAB, remediation by ablation of atrial fibrillation which isn't
> usually life-threatening but can be (and has been) a significant
> quality-of-life issue.
>
> Until very recently, the response to afib has been: "get used to it"
> or "suck it up", usually expressed somewhat more diplomatically. It's
> not life-threatening like v-fib but it can strongly affect quality of
> life.

Don,
My father had the same type of problem and the same procedure to deal
with it. One thing he didn't pay attention to was the recovery phase the
Doc's wanted him to follow. As a result he had to go in again and they
did some more work.

Make sure she allows the healing to take place. It may annoy her to not
do certain things, and she might complain, but it is essential to let
the heart recover.

Don Foreman

Apr 15, 2010, 12:35:47 AM4/15/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:59:09 -0400, "Steve W." <csr...@NOTyahoo.com>
wrote:

Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that
she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
traditionally been hers. <G>

One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Don Foreman

Apr 15, 2010, 12:41:51 AM4/15/10

I will definitely tell her tomorrow about your good experience. Thanks
for sharing it!

They decided to keep her for an additional day but we're quite sure
she'll be released tomorrow.

Don Foreman

Apr 15, 2010, 2:55:22 AM4/15/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:23:51 -0700, "Steve B"
<desertt...@dishynail.net> wrote:

>A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling
>fine now.
>
>Steve

Good to know. I'll tell Mary. Thanks!

Don Foreman

Apr 15, 2010, 3:11:36 AM4/15/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 08:23:51 -0700, "Steve B"
<desertt...@dishynail.net> wrote:

>A friend of mine had ablation procedure a few months ago, and is feeling
>fine now.
>
>Steve

Thanks for that.

Larry Jaques

Apr 15, 2010, 10:34:57 PM4/15/10
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:35:47 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:

>Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that

>she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
>traditionally been hers. <G>

Do them poorly and she won't. <g>

>One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Newp.

Wes

Apr 16, 2010, 5:37:45 PM4/16/10
Don Foreman <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote:

>>Make sure she allows the healing to take place. It may annoy her to not
>>do certain things, and she might complain, but it is essential to let
>>the heart recover.
>
>Roger that! She'll heed the doc's instructions. I'm more worried that
>she'll discover she likes having me do some tasks that have
>traditionally been hers. <G>
>
>One thing she definitely won't do is complain.

Any updates on your Mary?

Wes

Don Foreman

Apr 17, 2010, 2:52:06 AM4/17/10

She's home, feeling a bit beat up but improving steadily. She is
taking it easy as she should. I'm in caregiver mode for a little
while, my turn in the barrel and I'm very glad I'm able to do.

Couldn't interest her in food tonight but she had a nice Belgian
waffle for lunch. I've got some ribeye steaks thawing in the fridge
for tomorrow. I strongly doubt that she'll be uninterested in a nice
ribeye broiled very rare with baked tater and green peas. I could also
do garlic smashed taters but it's hard to beat a bake with a steak.

I'm not projecting here, Mar purely loves a good ribeye bloody rare.

Tonight, as I sat next to her with Gladiator on the TV, she talked
almost nonstop for well over an hour. She's feeling better! Mary is
absolutely not a motormouth, she was just a few days behind on sharing
while inward focus took higher priority. I sure do understand that!

She'll not complain about nor admit to fear or pain pro tem but she'll
later share experience with me when she's ready to do so and has it
parked. We're both like that.

Cardiac issues and events do tend to have emotional impact. I pretty
much ignored the movie and listened to her, kidded her now and then.
We're teammates.

Nobody wants to seem like a fraidy cat but anxiety can happen when the
monitor in the ICU keeps beeping an alarm condition for low B.P. with
an alert flashing in red on the monitor. Remediation was 3 units of
blood and a liter of something else IV. That sit was what kept her
there for an extra day. We continue to be impressed with the quality
of care provided by this facility and the competent and caring
professionals who work there.

She accepted wheelchair transport with me as pusher at the clinic for
some lab work today, but when I took milady to lunch afterwards she
walked into that restaurant like she'd dance on the bar if they had a
piano player. I can fake it as a honkytonk piano player but Baker's
Square has neither a bar nor a piano so we quietly enjoyed our lunch.
She's sleeping in a recliner for a while. Been there, done that. I
slept in that recliner for more than a month.

dca...@krl.org

Apr 17, 2010, 9:29:50 AM4/17/10
On Apr 17, 2:52 am, Don Foreman <dfore...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote:

> She's home, feeling a bit beat up but improving steadily. She is
> taking it easy as she should. I'm in caregiver mode for a little
> while, my turn in the barrel and I'm very glad I'm able to do.

Good to hear that she is doing well.

Dan

Larry Jaques

Apr 17, 2010, 11:05:07 AM4/17/10
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:52:06 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:

>On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:37:45 -0400, Wes
><ClutchAtL...@Gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Any updates on your Mary?
>>
>>Wes
>
>She's home, feeling a bit beat up but improving steadily. She is
>taking it easy as she should. I'm in caregiver mode for a little
>while, my turn in the barrel and I'm very glad I'm able to do.

Excellent, x2.

>I'm not projecting here, Mar purely loves a good ribeye bloody rare.

<g>

>Tonight, as I sat next to her with Gladiator on the TV,

It's good that you put on something quiet, mellow, soothing, and
relaxing for her to recover to, Don. <chortle>

>Nobody wants to seem like a fraidy cat but anxiety can happen when the
>monitor in the ICU keeps beeping an alarm condition for low B.P. with
>an alert flashing in red on the monitor. Remediation was 3 units of
>blood and a liter of something else IV. That sit was what kept her
>there for an extra day. We continue to be impressed with the quality
>of care provided by this facility and the competent and caring
>professionals who work there.

Bueno, bwana.

>She accepted wheelchair transport with me as pusher at the clinic for
>some lab work today, but when I took milady to lunch afterwards she
>walked into that restaurant like she'd dance on the bar if they had a
>piano player. I can fake it as a honkytonk piano player but Baker's
>Square has neither a bar nor a piano so we quietly enjoyed our lunch.
>She's sleeping in a recliner for a while. Been there, done that. I
>slept in that recliner for more than a month.

Dad did that after his quad bypass. It was closer to the bathroom,
too. He tried the massage button and couldn't hit the OFF button soon
enough. (No, Winnie, the massage button was on the _recliner_.)

---
A book burrows into your life in a very profound way
because the experience of reading is not passive.
--Erica Jong

Winston

Apr 17, 2010, 7:41:11 PM4/17/10
On 4/16/2010 11:52 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:37:45 -0400, Wes
> <ClutchAtL...@Gmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> Any updates on your Mary?
>>
>> Wes
>
> She's home, feeling a bit beat up but improving steadily.

Please tell her that all your metalworking pals are
delighted she is back home and getting better.

--Winston

Winston

Apr 17, 2010, 7:43:33 PM4/17/10
On 4/17/2010 8:05 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

> (No, Winnie, the massage button was on the _recliner_.)

Happiness is a vibrating recliner.

--Winnie

Larry Jaques

Apr 18, 2010, 1:06:38 AM4/18/10
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:43:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
<Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

>On 4/17/2010 8:05 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>
>> (No, Winnie, the massage button was on the _recliner_.)
>
>Happiness is a vibrating recliner.

Not to Dad, right after a bypass. (hesitation noted)

Winston

Apr 18, 2010, 1:38:59 AM4/18/10
On 4/17/2010 10:06 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:43:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
> <Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:
>
>> On 4/17/2010 8:05 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>>
>>> (No, Winnie, the massage button was on the _recliner_.)
>>
>> Happiness is a vibrating recliner.
>
> Not to Dad, right after a bypass. (hesitation noted)

Hopefully he enjoyed the recliner after a full recovery.

--Winnie <-- Could use a burbling hot tub right about now.

Don Foreman

Apr 18, 2010, 2:08:23 AM4/18/10
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:05:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
>>Tonight, as I sat next to her with Gladiator on the TV,
>
>It's good that you put on something quiet, mellow, soothing, and
>relaxing for her to recover to, Don. <chortle>

I know milady. I've seen few things light her up like the display of
edged weapons in the Stewart castle in Scotland, think Braveheart.

John Husvar

Apr 18, 2010, 9:12:49 AM4/18/10
In article <q78ls5hr32n0s0ktv...@4ax.com>,
Don Foreman <dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> wrote:

God bless her! Any woman who loves edged weapons is a good woman! (SCA
maybe?)

Larry Jaques

Apr 18, 2010, 11:46:04 AM4/18/10
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:38:59 -0700, the infamous Winston
<Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

>On 4/17/2010 10:06 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 16:43:33 -0700, the infamous Winston
>> <Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

>>> Happiness is a vibrating recliner.
>>
>> Not to Dad, right after a bypass. (hesitation noted)
>
>Hopefully he enjoyed the recliner after a full recovery.

Yessir, both before surgery and after recovery.

>--Winnie <-- Could use a burbling hot tub right about now.

I got up, made a bowl of cereal, and settled down on my shiatsu
massage cushion on the couch for a 15 minute rub. Man, those things
are nice. It was on sale for $80 and it feels almost as nice as the
ones they have in the $2k massage chairs. Dual rotating "thumb" discs
have small and large bumps @ 180 degrees from one another, and that
carriage moves up and down the spine. It's a Homedics SBM-200H.
They're wonderful! http://fwd4.me/8eh Amazone, $80 w/ free s/h!

Just Do It!

Larry Jaques

Apr 18, 2010, 11:47:57 AM4/18/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:08:23 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:05:07 -0700, Larry Jaques

Perhaps, but, right after _heart_surgery_, Don? <giggle>

Winston

Apr 18, 2010, 7:19:01 PM4/18/10
On 4/18/2010 8:46 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:38:59 -0700, the infamous Winston
> <Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

(...)

>> --Winnie<-- Could use a burbling hot tub right about now.
>
> I got up, made a bowl of cereal, and settled down on my shiatsu
> massage cushion on the couch for a 15 minute rub. Man, those things
> are nice. It was on sale for $80 and it feels almost as nice as the
> ones they have in the $2k massage chairs. Dual rotating "thumb" discs
> have small and large bumps @ 180 degrees from one another, and that
> carriage moves up and down the spine. It's a Homedics SBM-200H.
> They're wonderful! http://fwd4.me/8eh Amazone, $80 w/ free s/h!

Cool! Can you set it for massage without heat?

--Winston

Don Foreman

Apr 19, 2010, 12:04:53 AM4/19/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:47:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
<lja...@diversify.invalid> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:08:23 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
><dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:05:07 -0700, Larry Jaques
>>>
>>>It's good that you put on something quiet, mellow, soothing, and
>>>relaxing for her to recover to, Don. <chortle>
>>
>>I know milady. I've seen few things light her up like the display of
>>edged weapons in the Stewart castle in Scotland, think Braveheart.
>
>Perhaps, but, right after _heart_surgery_, Don? <giggle>

Hey, she had the remote!

Don Foreman

Apr 19, 2010, 12:05:32 AM4/19/10

What is SCA?

Winston

Apr 19, 2010, 12:26:32 AM4/19/10
On 4/18/2010 9:05 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:12:49 -0400, John Husvar
> <jhu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

(...)

>> God bless her! Any woman who loves edged weapons is a good woman! (SCA
>> maybe?)
>
> What is SCA?

http://www.sca.org/

--Winston

Gunner Asch

Apr 19, 2010, 12:42:31 AM4/19/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:26:32 -0700, Winston <Win...@bigbrother.net>
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/darter02/sca

Tis better M' Lord.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost

Don Foreman

Apr 19, 2010, 2:45:52 AM4/19/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:42:31 -0700, Gunner Asch <gunne...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:26:32 -0700, Winston <Win...@bigbrother.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On 4/18/2010 9:05 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
>>> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:12:49 -0400, John Husvar
>>> <jhu...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>(...)

>>> What is SCA?
>>
>>http://www.sca.org/
>>
>>--Winston
>

>http://www.pbase.com/darter02/sca
>
>Tis better M' Lord.
>
>Gunner

Ah so and uh huh.

Don't know that Milady is into SCA but mystery is an essential part of
the feminine mystique, n'est-ce pas? Even after 30 years of
partnership we may each and both have a few secrets cloaked in fog of
yesteryear and best left so. Who knows, who cares, life lurches on
like a creeping puddle of urine, or blood, or whatever.

Being a docile domestic senior gent, I'm content to keep the kitchen
cutlery scarey sharp and Milady does seem to appreciate it.

She's back in hospital as of this evening. Feelin' better within an
hour of admission. They'll keep her overnight, do some tests tomorrow.
Mar would no more complain than jump over the moon but she obviously
felt lousy with negative time derivative so I pulled the pin after she
rejected ribeye steak dinner. I suggested she call a doc. She did.
After discussing adjustments to meds for a while, he suggested we go
forthwith to the ER for a test. She could roger that, Dr order rather
than pissymoany plaintive bellringer can't-hack-it weepy wail.

Have I ever mentioned that gentle Mar has a bit of starch?

She was feeling MUCH better an hour after admission at the ER. Heart
rate more under control, BP back up to within range of livable, color
improved, feelin' much better after infusion of 2 units of blood and a
liter of some other juice.

Larry Jaques

Apr 19, 2010, 8:53:08 AM4/19/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:19:01 -0700, the infamous Winston
<Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

>On 4/18/2010 8:46 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 22:38:59 -0700, the infamous Winston
>> <Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:
>
>(...)
>
>>> --Winnie<-- Could use a burbling hot tub right about now.
>>
>> I got up, made a bowl of cereal, and settled down on my shiatsu
>> massage cushion on the couch for a 15 minute rub. Man, those things
>> are nice. It was on sale for $80 and it feels almost as nice as the
>> ones they have in the $2k massage chairs. Dual rotating "thumb" discs
>> have small and large bumps @ 180 degrees from one another, and that
>> carriage moves up and down the spine. It's a Homedics SBM-200H.
>> They're wonderful! http://fwd4.me/8eh Amazone, $80 w/ free s/h!
>
>Cool! Can you set it for massage without heat?

Ayup. Upper back, lower back, or both. Heat or not.
"Works a treat." as someone I know tends to say. ;)

Larry Jaques

Apr 19, 2010, 8:53:54 AM4/19/10
On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:04:53 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
<dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:47:57 -0700, Larry Jaques
><lja...@diversify.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 01:08:23 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman
>><dfor...@NOSPAMgoldengate.net> scrawled the following:
>>
>>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 08:05:07 -0700, Larry Jaques

>>>I know milady. I've seen few things light her up like the display of
>>>edged weapons in the Stewart castle in Scotland, think Braveheart.
>>
>>Perhaps, but, right after _heart_surgery_, Don? <giggle>
>
>Hey, she had the remote!

Ah, the true adventuress, I see. Carry on.

Winston

Apr 19, 2010, 10:03:56 AM4/19/10
On 4/18/2010 11:45 PM, Don Foreman wrote:

(...)

> She was feeling MUCH better an hour after admission at the ER. Heart
> rate more under control, BP back up to within range of livable, color
> improved, feelin' much better after infusion of 2 units of blood and a
> liter of some other juice.

She has a great guy looking after her. :)

--Winston

Winston

Apr 19, 2010, 10:24:20 AM4/19/10
On 4/19/2010 5:53 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:19:01 -0700, the infamous Winston
> <Win...@bigbrother.net> scrawled the following:

>> Cool! Can you set it for massage without heat?
>
> Ayup. Upper back, lower back, or both. Heat or not.
> "Works a treat." as someone I know tends to say. ;)

Excellent.

--Winston

Don Foreman

Apr 19, 2010, 10:59:17 PM4/19/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:03:56 -0700, Winston <Win...@bigbrother.net>
wrote:

She deserves it, and I'm not the jealous type!

Winston

Apr 19, 2010, 11:21:46 PM4/19/10

You wanted a compliment for Doc as well?

Well all right. He is a swell guy, too.

--Winston

Don Foreman

Apr 20, 2010, 4:12:29 AM4/20/10
On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 20:21:46 -0700, Winston <Win...@bigbrother.net>
wrote:

>On 4/19/2010 7:59 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:03:56 -0700, Winston<Win...@bigbrother.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 4/18/2010 11:45 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
>>>
>>> (...)

>>> She has a great guy looking after her. :)
>>>
>>> --Winston
>>
>> She deserves it, and I'm not the jealous type!
>
>You wanted a compliment for Doc as well?
>
>Well all right. He is a swell guy, too.
>
>--Winston

The professionals and good people there are amazing.

The did a cardioversion today. Her BP is now right at target and her
heart is ticking in perfect cadence.

I expressed interest in the elastic bands they use for popping a vein
for insertion of a blood-draw needle. The woman doing that wondered
why I was interested. I said I thought such bands would be useful
when bedding rifle actions.

Oh! No problem, she gave me the band she used and another from a
previous patient. Turns out she's a riflewoman from Zimmerman MN,
likes her 7mm but also wants to go hunt grizzly bear with a rifle
beginning with a .4. She also raises dogs, plans to name her next
dog Ruger.

Know how we guessed she might be a bit nontraditional? Her hair. Mar
and I both picked up on that. Not wild or bizarro, just long-cut and
a bit unusual for early gray. Quiet rebel gentle dedicated caregiver.
Later, when I wasn't there, another caregiver stuck Mary and Mar asked
if she could have the elastic band. The caregiver was suspicious. We
thought she might suspect drug abuse as in heroin injection, but her
concern was suicide! We learned that those elastic bands have been
known to be used for suicide. Mar explained that her hub was far more
interested in accurizing rifles than in suicide.

Mar's sense of humor and pungent dry wit is intact. She had me, son
Davy and a couple of nurses in stitches a couple of times.

Busy day tomorrow, several probes and procedures on the agenda. The
objective is to find the internal blood leak and fix it. We're very
optimistic.

I missed my 3 miles today but occasional pass isn't abandonment of
regimen. Few survivors maintain a regimen two years after the fact,
and most of those who fail don't survive subsequent attacks. I keep
truckin' because I intend to survive as long as life is good. Up the
hill, eeeyahh.

If and when life really sucks with only prognosis of getting worse, I
certainly won't check out via elastic band around my throat. That
sounds gawd awful. It would result in oblivion in a few seconds if
done right but I don't see how it could be done right with an elastic
band. Quick oblivion requires stoppage by compression of certain neck
arteries or veins. I don't see how an elastic band could do that
because doing that manually requires administration of point (thumb)
pressure at exactly the right sites.

A quiet .22 hollowpoint neatly and instantly does the job.

cavelamb

Apr 20, 2010, 6:49:57 AM4/20/10
Life is good, Don.

Keep on truckin'

Don Foreman

Apr 21, 2010, 12:33:38 AM4/21/10
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:49:57 -0500, cavelamb <cave...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Life is good, Don.
>
>Keep on truckin'

Yup!

They found and fixed Mary's internal leak today. The things they can
do now are simply amazing. They found and repaired a bleeding duodenal
ulcer with nary a scalpel or stitch. She'll be coming home tomorrow
morning.

She's had a rough week but it looks like she's over the hump now. Son
Davy was there this evening. He has his mother's wicked wit and they
were both in fine form. Nobody gave us any grief for all the laughter
going on in her room. We did try to keep it down, it is a hospital
after all.

Winston

Apr 21, 2010, 12:04:11 PM4/21/10
On 4/20/2010 9:33 PM, Don Foreman wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 05:49:57 -0500, cavelamb<cave...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Life is good, Don.
>>
>> Keep on truckin'
>
> Yup!
>
> They found and fixed Mary's internal leak today. The things they can
> do now are simply amazing. They found and repaired a bleeding duodenal
> ulcer with nary a scalpel or stitch. She'll be coming home tomorrow
> morning.
>
> She's had a rough week but it looks like she's over the hump now. Son
> Davy was there this evening. He has his mother's wicked wit and they
> were both in fine form.

Excellent news Don!

We are measured by our actions during challenging times.

--Winston