Pawn Shop Bargains ...

Snag

Feb 26, 2010, 3:55:03 PM2/26/10
Porter Cable 18ga 5/8" - 1 3/8" pin nailer in like-new shape . List price
$70-$80 , plus shipping .
Pawn shop price 20 bucks . This is a sweet finish nailer , one of the newer
models with adjustable depth stop . Now all I need is a 16ga that'll handle
2 1/2" pins and I'll be set .
I stopped at the place to ask if I could hang a flyer , Greg (owner? not
sure) had this one hangin' on the wall . Been tradin' with these folks for
several years , I bought my lathe from them . Nice guys , and they always
take good care of my tool needs - if they got what I need .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Wes

Feb 26, 2010, 6:22:15 PM2/26/10
"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Porter Cable 18ga 5/8" - 1 3/8" pin nailer in like-new shape . List price
>$70-$80 , plus shipping .
>Pawn shop price 20 bucks . This is a sweet finish nailer , one of the newer
>models with adjustable depth stop . Now all I need is a 16ga that'll handle
>2 1/2" pins and I'll be set .
> I stopped at the place to ask if I could hang a flyer , Greg (owner? not
>sure) had this one hangin' on the wall . Been tradin' with these folks for
>several years , I bought my lathe from them . Nice guys , and they always
>take good care of my tool needs - if they got what I need .

What is a pin nailer? I have a Porter Cable brad nailer and my mom, who loves having her
two boys work on her house has a Bosch finishing and framing nailer. Well she owns them,
my brother seems to always have them at his house.

I also have a PC roofing nailer. I bought it when my brother was building a house. I
figured my house would need a re-roof down the road so I bought early. I replaced my
roofing with steel. Maybe I'll get to use it re-roofing the garage someday.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Snag

Feb 26, 2010, 7:18:32 PM2/26/10

Same as your brad nailer I reckon . Geographic dialectic differences ...

Larry Jaques

Feb 27, 2010, 12:15:26 PM2/27/10
On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 18:22:15 -0500, the infamous Wes
<clu...@lycos.com> scrawled the following:

>"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Porter Cable 18ga 5/8" - 1 3/8" pin nailer in like-new shape . List price
>>$70-$80 , plus shipping .

18ga is a brad nailer, not a pinner, Snag.

>>Pawn shop price 20 bucks . This is a sweet finish nailer , one of the newer
>>models with adjustable depth stop . Now all I need is a 16ga that'll handle
>>2 1/2" pins and I'll be set .
>> I stopped at the place to ask if I could hang a flyer , Greg (owner? not
>>sure) had this one hangin' on the wall . Been tradin' with these folks for
>>several years , I bought my lathe from them . Nice guys , and they always
>>take good care of my tool needs - if they got what I need .
>
>What is a pin nailer? I have a Porter Cable brad nailer and my mom, who loves having her
>two boys work on her house has a Bosch finishing and framing nailer. Well she owns them,
>my brother seems to always have them at his house.

A pin nailer is a slim brad nailer, usually 23ga vs 15ga or 18ga for
brads.

--
Pessimist: One who, when he has the choice of two evils, chooses both.
--Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Snag

Feb 27, 2010, 1:58:44 PM2/27/10

Around here , those terms are more or less interchangeable . When we talk
about a 23ga headless , we call that a wire nailer .
Probably just a regional difference of terminology . You say puh-tay-toe ,
I say puh-tah-toe ...

Robert Swinney

Feb 27, 2010, 3:38:49 PM2/27/10
You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a pawn shop anymore; esp. since
the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.

Bob Swinney

Snag

Feb 27, 2010, 4:26:08 PM2/27/10
Robert Swinney wrote:
> You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a
> pawn shop anymore; esp. since the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.
>
> Bob Swinney
> "Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:HyWhn.26596$Ye4....@newsfe11.iad... Porter Cable 18ga 5/8" - 1
> 3/8" pin nailer in like-new shape . List price $70-$80 , plus
> shipping .
> Pawn shop price 20 bucks .

I think we may see a change in that , Robert . At least around here , there
seem to be more people pawning stuff , and fewer buyers . Ten bucks profit
each on twenty transactions beats 40 bucks each on no transactions ...

Wes

Feb 27, 2010, 5:11:50 PM2/27/10
"Robert Swinney" <jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

>You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a pawn shop anymore; esp. since
>the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.

I believe even Goodwill has found the internet.

Doug White

Feb 27, 2010, 6:23:54 PM2/27/10
"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in

<snip>

> Around here , those terms are more or less interchangeable . When we
> talk about a 23ga headless , we call that a wire nailer .
> Probably just a regional difference of terminology . You say
> puh-tay-toe ,
> I say puh-tah-toe ...

I say "spud".

Doug White

Wes

Feb 27, 2010, 6:34:24 PM2/27/10
Doug White <gwh...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>> Probably just a regional difference of terminology . You say
>> puh-tay-toe ,
>> I say puh-tah-toe ...
>
>I say "spud".

The only potato worth eating is a Yukon Gold.

Wes

Robert Swinney

Feb 27, 2010, 10:29:24 PM2/27/10
Snag sez:

"I think we may see a change in that , Robert . At least around here , there
seem to be more people pawning stuff , and fewer buyers . Ten bucks profit
each on twenty transactions beats 40 bucks each on no transactions ..."

You are probably right. My reply was based on experience over 5 years old during the height of the
ebay craze. I had not factored in today's lousy economy.

Bob Swinney
"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:P5gin.280$ao7...@newsfe21.iad...

Robert Swinney wrote:
> You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a
> pawn shop anymore; esp. since the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.
>
> Bob Swinney
> "Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:HyWhn.26596$Ye4....@newsfe11.iad... Porter Cable 18ga 5/8" - 1
> 3/8" pin nailer in like-new shape . List price $70-$80 , plus
> shipping .
> Pawn shop price 20 bucks .

Steve B

Feb 28, 2010, 12:08:14 AM2/28/10

"Wes" <clu...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> "Robert Swinney" <jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a pawn
>>shop anymore; esp. since
>>the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.
>

> I believe even Goodwill has found the internet.
>
> Wes

Almost every "thrift" shop I have been in recently, even religious charities
are very aware of ebay. And those items that they receive, they cull for
the "home runs" for ebay sale. Those people got smart, and when you have
valuables donated, you don't put them out for a quarter. Any more, I should
say. I am not amazed at the level of knowledge and sophistication of the
managers of these thrift outlets. Lots of good deals to be had, just
nothing that's worth a lot for a cheap price any more.

Steve

Steve B

Feb 28, 2010, 12:05:42 AM2/28/10

"Snag" <snag...@comcast.net> wrote

> I think we may see a change in that , Robert . At least around here ,
> there seem to be more people pawning stuff , and fewer buyers . Ten bucks
> profit each on twenty transactions beats 40 bucks each on no transactions
> --
> Snag

That is a very close paraphrase to what my pawn dealer told me. He is
tickled to see me and my old pardner, as we usually drop a Franklin or more
apiece. But we hammer him.

An old salesman once told me, "A fast quarter is better than a slow dollar."

Steve

Don Foreman

Feb 28, 2010, 12:42:40 AM2/28/10
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:29:24 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
<jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

>Snag sez:
>
>"I think we may see a change in that , Robert . At least around here , there
>seem to be more people pawning stuff , and fewer buyers . Ten bucks profit
>each on twenty transactions beats 40 bucks each on no transactions ..."
>
>You are probably right. My reply was based on experience over 5 years old during the height of the
>ebay craze. I had not factored in today's lousy economy.
>
>Bob Swinney

You can inspect the goods at a pawn shop, and when you lay your money
down you get the goods rather than a promise to ship from a faceless,
sometimes anonymous, distant stranger.

Helluvit is, the stuff in the pawn shop is sometimes there because of
some working guy's tough luck: job loss or divorce, need to sell tools
for cash to get by. They continue to hope for change while we who
still have some jingle in our jeans scarf up their tools for a song.

I'm not gloating. I'd like to see Americans who care to work be back
at work.

cavelamb

Feb 28, 2010, 12:44:43 AM2/28/10

That stuff in the pawn shop is also offered at near retail - with little
or no guarantees...

--

Richard Lamb

Ignoramus19261

Feb 28, 2010, 12:50:42 AM2/28/10
On 2010-02-28, Steve B <desert...@fishymail.net> wrote:
> An old salesman once told me, "A fast quarter is better than a slow dollar."

great phrase, it will be my favorite.

> Steve

Robert Swinney

Feb 28, 2010, 6:41:36 AM2/28/10
Steve sez: "Almost every "thrift" shop I have been in recently, even religious charities
are very aware of ebay. . . ."

We've got a small shop nearby that sells used, reconditioned, and surplus tooling. The place is run
by an ex-machinist from an electronics manufacturer. He has some some good stuff and some
not-so-good. Caveat emptor. Bargains are hard to find there. He seems to "price" near retail,
referencing catalogs from major suppliers. The convenience factor and no shipping costs offset his
near-retail prices.

Bob Swinney
"Steve B" <desert...@fishymail.net> wrote in message news:jaap57-...@news.infowest.com...

"Wes" <clu...@lycos.com> wrote in message
> "Robert Swinney" <jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>You're lucky Snag. It's become pretty hard to score a bargain in a pawn
>>shop anymore; esp. since
>>the pawnbrokers discovered ebay.
>

> I believe even Goodwill has found the internet.
>
> Wes

And those items that they receive, they cull for

Steve B

Feb 28, 2010, 10:39:48 AM2/28/10

"Robert Swinney" <jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message

> Steve sez: "Almost every "thrift" shop I have been in recently, even
> religious charities
> are very aware of ebay. . . ."
>
> We've got a small shop nearby that sells used, reconditioned, and surplus
> tooling. The place is run
> by an ex-machinist from an electronics manufacturer. He has some some good
> stuff and some
> not-so-good. Caveat emptor. Bargains are hard to find there. He seems to
> "price" near retail,
> referencing catalogs from major suppliers. The convenience factor and no
> shipping costs offset his
> near-retail prices.
>
> Bob Swinney

In my book, used is instantly half retail. Maybe a bit more if I need it.
I wouldn't be doing a lot of business with that fellow.

Steve

Larry Jaques

Feb 28, 2010, 12:33:42 PM2/28/10
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:08:14 -0800, the infamous "Steve B"
<desert...@fishymail.net> scrawled the following:

I've bought lots of books through the San Francisco Goodwill via eBay.
Good prices, quick shipping.

Don Foreman

Feb 28, 2010, 1:25:34 PM2/28/10
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 23:44:43 -0600, cavelamb <cave...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

In this area pawn shop prices are well below retail.

Robert Swinney

Feb 28, 2010, 1:48:15 PM2/28/10
Steve sez: "In my book, used is instantly half retail. Maybe a bit more if I need it.

I wouldn't be doing a lot of business with that fellow."

Totally agreed, Steve! I only buy from him on a "convenience-store" basis. Other than such
emergency quickies, most all other tooling purchases are made on line. On line service is getting
better all the time. The other day, I ordered some things from MSC one morning and got them the
next. FWIW, I like McMaster Carr even better but MSC's nice catalog keeps me coming back.

Bob Swinney

"Steve B" <desert...@fishymail.net> wrote in message news:oafq57-...@news.infowest.com...

"Robert Swinney" <jud...@tx.rr.com> wrote in message
> Steve sez: "Almost every "thrift" shop I have been in recently, even
> religious charities
> are very aware of ebay. . . ."
>
> We've got a small shop nearby that sells used, reconditioned, and surplus
> tooling. The place is run
> by an ex-machinist from an electronics manufacturer. He has some some good
> stuff and some
> not-so-good. Caveat emptor. Bargains are hard to find there. He seems to
> "price" near retail,
> referencing catalogs from major suppliers. The convenience factor and no
> shipping costs offset his
> near-retail prices.
>
> Bob Swinney

Steve

Michael A. Terrell

Feb 28, 2010, 2:08:15 PM2/28/10

I always heard: "A fast dime is better than a slow dollar."

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.

cavelamb

Feb 28, 2010, 4:18:16 PM2/28/10

Not here, Don.
Prices are .9 Retail, at least.

Wes

Feb 28, 2010, 5:29:19 PM2/28/10
cavelamb <cave...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Not here, Don.
>Prices are .9 Retail, at least.

That is the asking price. What is the selling price?

Wes

Snag

Feb 28, 2010, 6:01:50 PM2/28/10

Heh , I got a glance of the tag when Greg pulled it off the nail gun I
just bought . They were askin' 40 bucks , he offered it to me for 20 .
Easily half of my power tools were purchased at this pawn shop , and they
know it . They also know it's my first stop when I need something .
I think I'm going to go with the HF battery drill , just not confident of
used batteries . There's no way that I know of to test those battery packs ,
at least with new I can get a warranty replacement if it's dead from the
gitgo . Replacement batteries for the name brand tools can easily cost more
than the tool ...

Larry Jaques

Feb 28, 2010, 6:34:00 PM2/28/10
On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:29:19 -0500, the infamous Wes
<clu...@lycos.com> scrawled the following:

>cavelamb <cave...@earthlink.net> wrote:

In my experience, they usually say "That's my best price." so I laugh
and hurry out the door, shaking my head.

cavelamb

Feb 28, 2010, 9:20:18 PM2/28/10

Or just take the battery pack to Interstate Battery (or who ever does that
near you) and have them rebuilt.

No where near as expensive as new ones!

cavelamb

Feb 28, 2010, 9:21:03 PM2/28/10
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 17:29:19 -0500, the infamous Wes
> <clu...@lycos.com> scrawled the following:
>
>> cavelamb <cave...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Not here, Don.
>>> Prices are .9 Retail, at least.
>>>
>> That is the asking price. What is the selling price?
>
> In my experience, they usually say "That's my best price." so I laugh
> and hurry out the door, shaking my head.

I used to do the same thing.
I'd shop the pawn shops for entertainment value alone.
But I don't bother any more...

Greg O

Feb 28, 2010, 11:44:43 PM2/28/10

"cavelamb" <cave...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> That stuff in the pawn shop is also offered at near retail - with little
> or no guarantees...

I have bought my share of tools at pawn shops. True enough, asking price is
usually near retail, but don't be afraid to offer a whole lot less. I bought
a 18 ga brad nailer for $20 that was missing a couple screws, stopped at the
hardware store and bought the screws and it works great. I have two Porter
Cable routers, both like new, but paid about 1/2 of retail for them. The one
router I went into the pawn shop 4 weeks in a row, (the place was on the way
home), set the router on the desk and made my offer. Forth trip he finally
gave in!
Greg O

Greg O

Feb 28, 2010, 11:46:19 PM2/28/10

> Or just take the battery pack to Interstate Battery (or who ever does that
> near you) and have them rebuilt.
>
> No where near as expensive as new ones!

Still about 2/3rds - 3/4ths the price of a new battery. Still hard to
stomach on a budget!
Greg O

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 1, 2010, 4:38:02 PM3/1/10

<http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=93440>
went on sale today for $16.99, if you get their email specials. If you
don't, I can forward the email to you so you can print the coupon and
save $13.

This drill has a smart charger with a LED to tell you when its's
charging.

Robert Swinney

Mar 1, 2010, 6:48:05 PM3/1/10
That's gotta be a bargain. I paid more than that for 1 battery for my old Craftsman. A cheap,
errrrr "conservative" friend brough me the drill and 2 batteries and charger to see if I could
repair it - with proviso he didn't want to spend any money on it. I said, "nope, can't be done"
and traded him out of it for a set of pin gages. The pin gages hadn't cost me anything, so figured
I might be ahead in the deal. It is an industrial quality drill set. I had to replace the
batteries and charger for around 100 bux.

Bob Swinney
"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Snag

Mar 1, 2010, 7:26:41 PM3/1/10

I would appreciate that ! My reply-to is a valid email addy .
Thanks !

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 1, 2010, 11:47:56 PM3/1/10

Snag wrote:

> I would appreciate that ! My reply-to is a valid email addy .
> Thanks !

Sent. Good luck with your projects. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 1, 2010, 11:52:28 PM3/1/10

Robert Swinney wrote:

> That's gotta be a bargain. I paid more than that for 1 battery for my old Craftsman. A cheap,
> errrrr "conservative" friend brough me the drill and 2 batteries and charger to see if I could
> repair it - with proviso he didn't want to spend any money on it. I said, "nope, can't be done"
> and traded him out of it for a set of pin gages. The pin gages hadn't cost me anything, so figured
> I might be ahead in the deal. It is an industrial quality drill set. I had to replace the
> batteries and charger for around 100 bux.

That's the same price I bought mine for about three months ago. At
that time a spare battery was a dollar less than the drill on sale, so I
bought two drills so I would have a spare charger, too. I find it very
handy to have both drills charged & ready with different bits. It saves
me some time, and a lot of pain on most jobs. :)

Steve B

Mar 2, 2010, 12:13:44 AM3/2/10

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

I have four Makita electric hand grinders for just such a reason. Disk,
brush, sander and paddle sander. A RPITA to have to change heads
frequently.

Steve

Snag

Mar 2, 2010, 7:33:40 AM3/2/10

Thanks , I have that coupon printed , be headed for HF today . Had a good
day yesterday , got enough parts cast for two alunimun casting flasks .
Raining today ... and almost cold enough to snow . Will this Global Warming
never cease ?

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 2, 2010, 3:23:04 PM3/2/10

Snag wrote:

> Thanks , I have that coupon printed , be headed for HF today .

You're welcome.

> Had a good
> day yesterday , got enough parts cast for two alunimun casting flasks .
> Raining today ... and almost cold enough to snow . Will this Global Warming
> never cease ?

It's time to demand that Al Gore start giving refunds on all those
phony carbon credits. :(

It's supposed to drop to the low 30s in Ocala for the next two
nights. If the heavy rain had waited a few hours, it might have snowed
here, again.

Michael A. Terrell

Mar 2, 2010, 3:31:32 PM3/2/10

Steve B wrote:

> "Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Robert Swinney wrote:
> >>
> >> That's gotta be a bargain. I paid more than that for 1 battery for my
> >> old Craftsman. A cheap,
> >> errrrr "conservative" friend brough me the drill and 2 batteries and
> >> charger to see if I could
> >> repair it - with proviso he didn't want to spend any money on it. I
> >> said, "nope, can't be done"
> >> and traded him out of it for a set of pin gages. The pin gages hadn't
> >> cost me anything, so figured
> >> I might be ahead in the deal. It is an industrial quality drill set. I
> >> had to replace the
> >> batteries and charger for around 100 bux.
> >
> > That's the same price I bought mine for about three months ago. At
> > that time a spare battery was a dollar less than the drill on sale, so I
> > bought two drills so I would have a spare charger, too. I find it very
> > handy to have both drills charged & ready with different bits. It saves
> > me some time, and a lot of pain on most jobs. :)
>
> I have four Makita electric hand grinders for just such a reason. Disk,
> brush, sander and paddle sander. A RPITA to have to change heads
> frequently.

The biggest bulk purchase of tools was 100 #2 Phillips screwdrivers
for 25 cents each. I bought them to braze Torx and other security bits
to, after they wore out. I've had them for 15 years and still haven't
worn out the first one. There are about five in the shop for daily use
and I've given about 40 away whenever someone wanted to borrow one. The
rest are in a box on a shelf.

I also have a bad habit of buying used books I bought 335 in the
last couple weeks, for 11 cents each. they were $36.85 + 6% sales tax,
for a total of $39.06. Mostly old Sc-Fi, but there are a few computer
books and what appears to be a new copy of volume one of "The Bull Of
The Woods" reprint from Algrove publishing.