How to center a chuck ?

azotic

Apr 1, 2010, 3:05:57 AM4/1/10
I got this chuck that i want to use on my logan 12" lathe. While fitting the
chuck to the
backplate i noticed the chuck does not have a recess on the back side for
centering.

Any ideas on how to center this chuck so it runs true to my spindle?

http://members.cox.net/azotic/IMG_0007.JPG

Best Regards
Tom.

joel...@aol.com

Apr 1, 2010, 8:27:44 AM4/1/10
How bout remove the jaws ("number" them with pin punch marks), mount
the plate backwards on a faceplate or large 4 jaw, center by
indicating on the center hole and machine the recess... Joel in
Florida
===========

Jim Wilkins

Apr 1, 2010, 8:43:34 AM4/1/10
On Apr 1, 3:05 am, "azotic" <azo...@cox.net> wrote:

1. April Fools???

2. The photo suggests you have it, so why not get some use from it? I
would disassemble it and turn the body round for balance, then bolt it
to a faceplate. Sometimes a chuck that can go from lathe to mill and
back to lathe is useful.

That chuck is no wierder than some of the other custom lathe setups
people have published. It might be good for turning a small
crankshaft, less fussy and more secure than a vee block and angle
plate.

jsw

Larry Jaques

Apr 1, 2010, 9:47:22 AM4/1/10
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 00:05:57 -0700, the infamous "azotic"
<azo...@cox.net> scrawled the following:

BFH, Tom. B F H, then weld in place, grounding on the bed.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.

Wes

Apr 1, 2010, 6:03:27 PM4/1/10
"azotic" <azo...@cox.net> wrote:

>I got this chuck that i want to use on my logan 12" lathe. While fitting the
>chuck to the
>backplate i noticed the chuck does not have a recess on the back side for
>centering.
>
>Any ideas on how to center this chuck so it runs true to my spindle?

That would be scary spinning at 1500 rpm. It will likely be out of balance, round is so
much safer than that thing spinning away. Just wait until you manage to get hit by a
spinning edge.

Is this an April fools day joke?

Wes

RBnDFW

Apr 1, 2010, 6:19:57 PM4/1/10

Once he gets it mounted, he can round it off :)

James Waldby

Apr 1, 2010, 7:54:38 PM4/1/10

I think it looks like a rest rather than a chuck.
The two holes at the top of the picture would
attach to a bracket on the carriage or bed.

--
jiw

Michael Koblic

Apr 1, 2010, 9:53:51 PM4/1/10

"James Waldby" <n...@no.no> wrote in message

Phew! I thought I was the only one...

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Larry Jaques

Apr 1, 2010, 10:04:58 PM4/1/10
On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:03:27 -0500, the infamous Wes
<clu...@lycos.com> scrawled the following:

I think so, since that was a steady rest in his pic. ;)

P.S: I hope nobody grounds through the bed and welds a chuck on,
through the gears and bearings.

azotic

Apr 1, 2010, 10:59:30 PM4/1/10

"Larry Jaques" <lja...@diversify.invalid> wrote in message

> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 17:03:27 -0500, the infamous Wes
> <clu...@lycos.com> scrawled the following:
>
>>"azotic" <azo...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I got this chuck that i want to use on my logan 12" lathe. While fitting
>>>the
>>>chuck to the
>>>backplate i noticed the chuck does not have a recess on the back side for
>>>centering.
>>>
>>>Any ideas on how to center this chuck so it runs true to my spindle?
>>>

>>That would be scary spinning at 1500 rpm. It will likely be out of
>>balance, round is so
>>much safer than that thing spinning away. Just wait until you manage to
>>get hit by a
>>spinning edge.
>>
>>Is this an April fools day joke?
>
> I think so, since that was a steady rest in his pic. ;)

Nope not a steady rest. Its a real machining chuck, picked it up at a garage
sale for $10.00.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=4460984&PMT4NO=82924438

Best Regards
Tom.

Jim Wilkins

Apr 2, 2010, 7:17:15 AM4/2/10
On Apr 1, 10:59 pm, "azotic" <azo...@cox.net> wrote:

> Nope not a steady rest. Its a real machining chuck, picked it up at a garage
> sale for $10.00.
>
> http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=4460984&PMT4NO=82924438
>
> Best Regards
> Tom

What are you going to do with the $1105.56 you saved?
Or with the chuck?

jsw

Larry Jaques

Apr 2, 2010, 9:57:25 AM4/2/10
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 19:59:30 -0700, the infamous "azotic"
<azo...@cox.net> scrawled the following:

Oh, I don't like the look of that thing at _all_.
I guess I can save my $1,200, eh?

Ned Simmons

Apr 2, 2010, 10:09:41 AM4/2/10

Vises and chucks are both work holding devices. That doesn't mean it's
a good idea to fasten a mill vise to your lathe spindle and spin it at
1000 RPM. Except on April 1. <g>

--
Ned Simmons

RBnDFW

Apr 2, 2010, 10:26:05 AM4/2/10

What does one do with such a chuck?
Milling fixture?

azotic

Apr 2, 2010, 10:17:23 PM4/2/10

"RBnDFW" <burkh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Yep, I use it in the mill. shaper and surface grinder. It is keyed on the
back side to drop
rite in to a T-sloted table. The top jaws are removable and making custom
jaws is a snap
to hold some weird shapes that I occasionaly have to machine.

Best Regards
Tom.

azotic

Apr 2, 2010, 10:26:20 PM4/2/10