Ping: Igor - re: High Voltage

Monkey Butler

Feb 28, 2010, 7:03:38 PM2/28/10
Igor,

For some reason it sticks in my mind that you have posted about
playing with high voltage in the past. Is this of any use to you:

http://www.monkeybutler.com/tmp/DSCF0001.jpg
http://www.monkeybutler.com/tmp/DSCF0002.jpg

If so it's yours for the shipping. Otherwise I'll offer it to the next
person who can use it.

I'm a little leary of ebaying something like this.

Steve P.

Wes

Feb 28, 2010, 7:36:38 PM2/28/10
Monkey Butler <x...@monkeybutler.com> wrote:

Brain is weak tonight but is that a probe for checking 2nd anode voltage on a tv picture
tube?

Wes

Cydrome Leader

Feb 28, 2010, 7:48:00 PM2/28/10

It is.

They're good for DC, and dangerous for AC, unless you happen to have a
meter with an AC range input impedance of 10Mohm.

most meters don't, and you'll get way way wrong and low readings.

Al A.

Feb 28, 2010, 7:53:44 PM2/28/10
On 2/28/2010 7:36 PM, Wes wrote:

> Brain is weak tonight but is that a probe for checking 2nd anode voltage on a tv picture
> tube?
>
> Wes

That is one common use for those. That one plugs into a multimeter (or
older, a VTVM) and gives you the ability to measure those sorts of
voltages. I've used modern versions made for Fluke meters that go to
40KV. Most divide the measured voltage by 1000.

Not something most of us need real often, but handy to have when you do.

Ignoramus26630

Feb 28, 2010, 9:27:26 PM2/28/10
Emailed, thanks a lot

Ignoramus26630

Feb 28, 2010, 9:28:21 PM2/28/10

It is also handy when I am not sure what exactly is the voltage.

Don Foreman

Mar 1, 2010, 1:38:07 AM3/1/10

I could use it for E-field experiments so I can get back to TIG
welding with an implanted cardioverter defibrillator in place.

Don Foreman

Mar 1, 2010, 1:56:58 AM3/1/10

Nevermind, upon refresh of RCM I see that Ig glommed it.

Jon Danniken

Mar 1, 2010, 1:30:36 PM3/1/10

I have a similar tool, mine is an old RCA branded one:

http://www.amplifier.cd/Test_Equipment/other/images/rca-wg297.jpg

Works great for measuring high voltage, but I prefer to use it "hands off",
and just clip an alligator clip to the tip.

Jon

Wild_Bill

Mar 1, 2010, 4:05:41 PM3/1/10
High voltage probes are nice to have around. The Beckman HV probe shown is
recommended for a particular series of Beckman DMMs. If there isn't an
instruction sheet with it, the info and correct series may be available
online (the Repair FAQ, maybe).

Some of the Beckman meters (grey 300 and yellow 500 series, I think) had an
input impedance of 22Mohms, which is uncommon.

The vast majority of DMMs have input impedances of 10Mohms. Some Sencore
meters were 15Mohms.

A user shouldn't try measuring their vehicle's spark plug voltage with a DMM
and HV probe, but instead should use the probe for CRT and various HV test
points in electronic gear when the service manual procedures require HV
probes.
CRT anode 12-30kV, focus 2-8kV, oscilloscope CRT anode 1.2kV, for example.

--
WB

"Monkey Butler" <x...@monkeybutler.com> wrote in message

whit3rd

Mar 1, 2010, 8:35:24 PM3/1/10
On Mar 1, 1:05 pm, "Wild_Bill" <wb_wildb...@XSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> A user shouldn't try measuring their vehicle's spark plug voltage with a DMM
> and HV probe, but instead should use the probe for CRT and various HV test
> points

The best way to look at a spark plug voltage is with an oscilloscope
on
the low-V side of the coil, of course ('low' meaning a few hundred
volts).
This used to be a standard diagnostic technique.

Don Foreman

Mar 2, 2010, 1:33:43 AM3/2/10
On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:05:41 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
<wb_wi...@XSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>High voltage probes are nice to have around. The Beckman HV probe shown is
>recommended for a particular series of Beckman DMMs. If there isn't an
>instruction sheet with it, the info and correct series may be available
>online (the Repair FAQ, maybe).
>
>Some of the Beckman meters (grey 300 and yellow 500 series, I think) had an
>input impedance of 22Mohms, which is uncommon.
>
>The vast majority of DMMs have input impedances of 10Mohms. Some Sencore
>meters were 15Mohms.
>
>A user shouldn't try measuring their vehicle's spark plug voltage with a DMM
>and HV probe, but instead should use the probe for CRT and various HV test
>points in electronic gear when the service manual procedures require HV
>probes.
>CRT anode 12-30kV, focus 2-8kV, oscilloscope CRT anode 1.2kV, for example.

Bill's point is that the probe will not give correct readings unless
used with an instrument having the input impedance for which it was
intended. However, that shouldn't impair your ability to sell it on
EBay.