OT: Would a bear do what he wants in the woods? You bet!

Jack Erbes

May 20, 2002, 7:10:01 AM5/20/02
Hi all,

Someone sent me these pics, I can't verify the story but the photos
are pretty interesting.

The story is that the guy in the photo for the forest service in
Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large world record Griz charged
him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto
into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The thing was still
alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. It weighed over one
thousand six hundred pounds! Standing, it would be 12'6" high at the
shoulder! It's a world record and the bear had killed a couple of
people. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it.

http://www.vom.com/jack/BearPaw.jpg
http://www.vom.com/jack/Bear.jpg

Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jac...@midmaine.com)
(formerly ja...@vom.com, either email address will work for the foreseeable future)

Jim Kovar

May 20, 2002, 9:00:31 AM5/20/02
In article <h7mheu80dip1k4gam...@4ax.com>,
jac...@midmaine.com says...

> Hi all,
>
> Someone sent me these pics, I can't verify the story but the photos
> are pretty interesting.
>
> The story is that the guy in the photo for the forest service in
> Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large world record Griz charged
> him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto
> into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The thing was still
> alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. It weighed over one
> thousand six hundred pounds! Standing, it would be 12'6" high at the
> shoulder! It's a world record and the bear had killed a couple of
> people. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it.

Damn! This makes the black bears up here look like midgets!
--
Jim Kovar
Kingsford, Mi

Ronald Thompson

May 20, 2002, 11:24:58 AM5/20/02
Keep it? He's lucky the don't arrest him. The fact that he was protecting
his life has nothing to do with it. Poor Griz...<G>
Good picture!

--
Ron Thompson
Machinist student
"Jack Erbes" <jac...@midmaine.com> wrote in message

Steve Rayner

May 20, 2002, 10:31:07 PM5/20/02
Wow, the Black Bear that was around here, on my roof actually, was about the
size of a small car. That griz is way bigger!

--
Steve Rayner.

reaker

May 21, 2002, 3:17:32 AM5/21/02
I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 8:25:09 AM5/21/02
On 21 May 2002 00:17:32 -0700, mechm...@hotmail.com (reaker) wrote:

>I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
>in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.

I'm not so sure it was that large a bear... the shot with the bear's
head took advantage of perspective to make it look larger, though it
*is* a good-sized paw.

Mike Graham | Fighting the good fight against porosity,
mi...@metalmangler.com | lack of fusion, and people who constantly
<http://www.metalmangler.com>| try to correct the spelling of 'weldor'.

Gunner

May 21, 2002, 12:42:00 PM5/21/02
mechm...@hotmail.com (reaker) wrote:

>I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
>in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.

During a trip or two into bear country, Ive had occasion to be
attacked by bears. In one case, I had to shoot him. If Id not, Id have
wound up little blue denim pieces imbedded in little piles of bear
poop.

Unless you know bears and bear country, dont bother to post. Now..I
gather you rather the bear(insert any of Gods brown eyed creatures)
had won. Would you care to give us your take on Mountain Lions and
small children? Coyotes, FooFoo your dog and backyards?
Perhaps our African posters would care to comment on large carnivores
and humans? Our Aussi members on sharks and humans?

Its taken me millions of years to rise to the top of the food chain,
and I intend to stay there.

Gunner, PETA member
"People Eating Tasty Animals"

"The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
with a liberal and winning. "

Jack Erbes

May 21, 2002, 1:29:12 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:25:09 -0400, Mike Graham
<mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

>On 21 May 2002 00:17:32 -0700, mechm...@hotmail.com (reaker) wrote:
>
>>I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
>>in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.
>
> I'm not so sure it was that large a bear... the shot with the bear's
>head took advantage of perspective to make it look larger, though it
>*is* a good-sized paw.

Right Mike, it is not really a large bear, it was probably some cheap
trick to make the bears you know about look bad. The best way to tell
is to go pet one. Or maybe give the bereaved widow a hug. Let us know
how big it was please.

PLAlbrecht

May 21, 2002, 4:15:36 PM5/21/02
>Right Mike, it is not really a large bear, it was probably some cheap
>trick to make the bears you know about look bad. The best way to tell
>is to go pet one. Or maybe give the bereaved widow a hug. Let us know
>how big it was please.

Jack, you stop picking on Mike right now!

That's my job.

(Get yer own.)

Pete

PLAlbrecht

May 21, 2002, 4:23:03 PM5/21/02
>>Unless you know bears and bear country, dont bother to post. Now..I
gather you rather the bear(insert any of Gods brown eyed creatures)
had won.

There was a great cartoon, I think the Far Side, with some hunters pinned down
behind a log, and bears up on high ground, behind another log, firing down at
them.

Support the right to arm bears!

:-)

Pete

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 4:51:36 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 13:29:12 -0400, Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com>
wrote:

>Right Mike, it is not really a large bear,

I didn't say it wasn't large, I said it didn't look 'that large',
and since in the original post the implication was that it was a
record-breaking kind of hugeness, the suggestion of not being 'that
large' does not eliminate the possibility that it was a good size.
Do you disagree that the composition of the picture uses perspective
to make the bear's head look larger by comparison to the person?
An Alaskan Brown Bear, or Kodiak, is the largest terrestrial
carnivore on our planet, and can reach weights of 1700 lbs normally,
according to the Audubon Society field guide, so 1600lbs is not a
world-beater, but is certainly a good size. A regular grizzly usually
tops out at 1200lbs according to the same source, so if it really was
a regular grizzly then it would be an extraordinary one, indeed, but
for a Kodiak, it's just a good-sized example.
There's a guy in North Bay or Sudbury or one of the cities up around
there named Troy Hurtubise who makes 'bear-proof' suits for studying
them up close. The one he's testing right now is the Ursus Mk VII,
and it's being tested for use on Kodiaks. The previous suit, Usus Mk
VI was grizzly-proof, but a Kodiak is twice the bear that a grizzly
is. I heard him on the radio a couple of weeks ago talking about the
testing and whatnot. Pretty fierce. The first test is for him to get
in the suit, and stand against a concrete block wall and have a 45-ton
front end loader push him through it. It gets worse from there.
Much worse. The previous suit was tested, in part, by him throwing
himself over a 150 foot embankment. When that turned out to be too
easy he found three bikers and handed them axes and had them try to
open the suit.

Gunner

May 21, 2002, 5:35:34 PM5/21/02
Mike Graham <mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

>he previous suit was tested, in part, by him throwing
>himself over a 150 foot embankment. When that turned out to be too
>easy he found three bikers and handed them axes and had them try to
>open the suit.

Hummm I wonder if he told them, that there is something good to eat
inside? Free dope or beer perhaps. Then it might come close to getting
the same level of "attentiveness" one might get from a Griz or Kodiak.

Gunner

Dave

May 21, 2002, 5:36:52 PM5/21/02

Mike Graham wrote:
<snip>

> There's a guy in North Bay or Sudbury or one of the cities up around
> there named Troy Hurtubise who makes 'bear-proof' suits for studying
> them up close. The one he's testing right now is the Ursus Mk VII,
> and it's being tested for use on Kodiaks. The previous suit, Usus Mk
> VI was grizzly-proof, but a Kodiak is twice the bear that a grizzly
> is. I heard him on the radio a couple of weeks ago talking about the
> testing and whatnot. Pretty fierce. The first test is for him to get
> in the suit, and stand against a concrete block wall and have a 45-ton
> front end loader push him through it. It gets worse from there.
> Much worse. The previous suit was tested, in part, by him throwing
> himself over a 150 foot embankment. When that turned out to be too
> easy he found three bikers and handed them axes and had them try to
> open the suit.

I had to see for myself.
http://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/index.html
There's a video of the thing.

Dave

--
Remove shoes to reply

petey

May 21, 2002, 4:56:08 PM5/21/02

Three English guys decide to go bear hunting in Canada. They set up
camp and go off into the woods whereupon Chauncey spots a huge grizzly
in a clearing on the nearby ridge. He levels his rifle and carefully
aims. He squeezes the trigger, bang! The bear drops into the brush.
Chauncy charges up to the clearing, and looks around, but the bear is
nowhere to be seen. He turns slowly and out of nowhere he is faced by
a 1200lb bear.
"That was frightfully impolite to shoot at me" the bear says. "If I
wanted, I could eat you right now, but I'm not really hungry."
"W-what do you want from me?" asks Chauncy.
"Drop your trousers now, and we'll call it even".
Chauncy returns to camp later, humiliated and vowing to avenge his
bruised ego and manflower. That night he double checks his ammunition
and sights and the next morning returns to where he'd sighted the bear
before.
Soon Chauncy spots the same bear and is sure he has a clear shot. He
aims carefully and slowly squeezes the trigger. Bang! Again the bear
drops, but this time Chauncy is sure he's killed him. He runs to the
clearing to inspect his kill, but again the bearis nowhere to be seen.
Chauncy turns around and again the bear is standing in front of him.
"Now I'm starting to get pissed off. You know the drill." Chauncy
lowers his pants and again the bear has his way with him. After
crawling back to camp, Chauncy vows to his mates Percival and Oliver
that he will kill that beast that had brutally ravaged his rosebud.
He again check is ammo and sights and the next morning sets himself by
the ridge. Sure enough he spies the bear and being very careful he
positions himself precisely to get the perfect shot. Waiting for the
exact moment, Chauncy squeezes off a perfectly aimed round into the
bear. The bear drops and Chauncy runs to the clearing. Not again,
Chauncy thinks, when again the bear appears and puts his paw on
Chauncy's shoulder and says "You don't come here for the hunting, do
you?"

Loren Coe

May 21, 2002, 6:09:52 PM5/21/02
In article <kn0leu056bavnisbj...@4ax.com>, Jack Erbes wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:25:09 -0400, Mike Graham
><mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

>> I'm not so sure it was that large a bear... the shot with the bear's
>>head took advantage of perspective to make it look larger, though it
>>*is* a good-sized paw.
>
> Right Mike, it is not really a large bear, it was probably some cheap
> trick to make the bears you know about look bad. The best way to tell
> is to go pet one. Or maybe give the bereaved widow a hug. Let us know
> how big it was please.

Jack, i assumed this was actually a brown or Kodiak. is it _really-
a Grizzly? i didn't think they ranged into Alaska.

as to the circumstance, i don't think many hunters would choose
a 7mm to hunt big bear.

--Loren

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 6:43:41 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 21:35:34 GMT, Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net>
wrote:

>Hummm I wonder if he told them, that there is something good to eat
>inside? Free dope or beer perhaps. Then it might come close to getting
>the same level of "attentiveness" one might get from a Griz or Kodiak.

*He* was inside, so maybe he *did* tell them there was something
good to eat inside... as incentive. 8-)

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 6:45:23 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 17:36:52 -0400, Dave <MM...@Bellshoessouth.net>
wrote:

> I had to see for myself.
> http://www.nfb.ca/grizzly/index.html
> There's a video of the thing.

That's the old, wimpy suit. It uses low-tech stuff like chain mail,
which a Kodiak will be through in a heartbeat. The Mark VII suit is
more along the lines of that super-deep-diving suit... the
bubbly-looking one with the solid joints.

jim rozen

May 21, 2002, 6:53:55 PM5/21/02
In article <20020521162303...@mb-mj.aol.com>, plalb...@aol.com
says...

>There was a great cartoon, I think the Far Side, with some hunters pinned down
>behind a log, and bears up on high ground, behind another log, firing down at
>them.

Larson really likes bears. Two trained bears at the circus - one
has removed his muzzle and is holding it in his hands: "Hey,
this things just *snap* right off!"

Or, my favorite: momma bear in the cave, holding up a skull
adorned with a hunter's hat, addressing the two cubs: "OK,
just one more time, then it's off to bed with you - 'Hey,
Jack, think there's any bears in here?'... 'Heck, let's go
in and see, Harry!' "

My personal story occurred in a small canyon town in Arizona,
where there was a family staying in a cabin down the creek. They
were renting there while the father was doing scientific work
in the area. A large bear was becoming more and more insistent
about getting into the house, where several kids ranging in age
between 2 and 10 were staying. The mother contacted the park
rangers, who asked if anyone had been hurt yet. No, she
replied, not yet. Then we can't do anything, the rangers
explained.

The caretaker at the research station did not have this
constraint to work under. A shame, but I would not have
traded the kids for the bear.

Jim

===================================
please reply to:
JRR(zero) at watson dot ibm dot com
===================================

Eric Murray

May 21, 2002, 7:22:47 PM5/21/02
In article <4htkeu4qvurgkj23r...@4ax.com>,

Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote:
>mechm...@hotmail.com (reaker) wrote:
>
>>I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
>>in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.
>
>During a trip or two into bear country, Ive had occasion to be
>attacked by bears. In one case, I had to shoot him. If Id not, Id have
>wound up little blue denim pieces imbedded in little piles of bear
>poop.
>
>Unless you know bears and bear country, dont bother to post. Now..

Spent a summer in Yellowstone bear country, mapping bear habitat.
Two of the guys on my crew had worked in Alaska the year before and
had to shoot bears that charged them. We had a couple bear issues but
nothing that resulted in injury to either human or bear.

'reaker' is right you know... people are much more dangerous. Grizzly
bears are smart enough to know not to mess with people, and will high-tail
it out of the area if they become aware of you. The problem is that bears
can't see well, and since they are not threatened by other critters,
they don't pay very good attention to what is going on around them.
So it's not hard to accidentally get too close to a bear, and what that
happens they charge. (Polar bears are different and will stalk and eat
people, but we're talking grizzlys here).

Humans OTOH will sometimes attack from a distance for no reason at all.
A friend of mine lost her husband while backpacking to a lunatic with
a rifle... guy started shooting for no reason, and even thought she
fired back with her service revolver (she was a cop at the time) her
husband was killed. I worry more about being killed by random yahoos
or a drunk hunter than I worry about wild animals. There are many more
hunting accidents and random shootings are there each year than
there are bear attacks.

If reaker would rather feed one of gods creatures than defend himself,
I applaud his sacrifice. Not being ready to go myself, I went armed
and was glad that I didn't have to use it.

Eric

Jack Erbes

May 21, 2002, 8:55:36 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 22:09:52 GMT, Loren Coe <lo...@netnews.attbi.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>Jack, i assumed this was actually a brown or Kodiak. is it _really-
>a Grizzly? i didn't think they ranged into Alaska.
>
>as to the circumstance, i don't think many hunters would choose
>a 7mm to hunt big bear.

I posted that info as I received it. And cannot further verify or
debunk it. The info was that the gentleman was deer hunting so that
was probably not in the immediate past since most deer hunting seasons
are in the late summer and fall.

I agree about the weapon choice. If I were hunting typical Alaskan
sized deer I would probably carry a larger caliber rifle. If I was
hunting a bear of that size I would not use anything less than a .358
Magnum and only handloads with the best grade and heaviest possible
bullets.

The 7mm Mag (mainstream production ammo anyway) is notorious for poor
penetration (skin or shallow bone blowups) at closer ranges. If the
story is right, he was lucky to have an autoloader and must have
maintained his poise in placing his shots well enough to get the
animal stopped.

I did a web search for more info on this but could not get any hits on
this specific incident.

I don't know much about the various flavors of North American bears.
I think the Grizzly and Kodiak have a lot in common with the main
differences being geographical.

Bears of any size in heavy cover scare me because if you surprise one
it may attack. And there are many documented incidents of bears
closing on, killing, and then eating humans so they can easily view
humans as simply another potential food source.

Jack Erbes

May 21, 2002, 9:23:34 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 16:51:36 -0400, Mike Graham
<mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Do you disagree that the composition of the picture uses perspective
>to make the bear's head look larger by comparison to the person?

Yes, I disagree with that. It appears to be a dead bear laying with
his head on a rock and a human beside and only very slightly to the
rear of it. If these sinister bastards really wanted to deceive us,
they would have had the guy hold the bear up and out at arms length so
it would be closer to the camera.

There looks to be some auxiliary light from the right, but the shadow
line and everything else looks okay to me. The setting looks good.
As you say, the paw is enormous, the whole thing looks plausible
enough. So much can be done with graphics editing now that anything
is conceivable.

The current world's record grizzly was taken in 1998, this bear was
purportedly shot out of season not given to the shooter for that
reason. I suppose that makes it not eligible for record
consideration.

John Flanagan

May 21, 2002, 9:40:41 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 20:55:36 -0400, Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com>
wrote:

>Bears of any size in heavy cover scare me because if you surprise one

>it may attack. And there are many documented incidents of bears
>closing on, killing, and then eating humans so they can easily view
>humans as simply another potential food source.

A friend and I were walking through a marshy area in Montana back in
1977. The ground wasn't covered with water but it was very soggy and
wet with a lot of brush and undergrowth, not too many trees. Anyway
suddenly I smelled skunk (the odor of a bear or I've been told) so I
started to look around and noticed a bear paw print in the mud right
where we were standing. It was still filling up with water. Yeow !!!
Not a print anywhere near the size of the paw on that grizzly in the
photo but still. Gadzooks, I can't imagine being swiped with that
thing. Looks like it could break a 4x4 in half with no problem.

Other than that I've never seen a bear in the wild. Glad I didn't
that day.

John

Jack Erbes

May 21, 2002, 9:50:18 PM5/21/02
<mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

> I'm not so sure it was that large a bear... the shot with the bear's
>head took advantage of perspective to make it look larger, though it
>*is* a good-sized paw.

Well, here is the real story. Thanks to Dave
<MM...@Bellshoessouth.net> for sending me the link.

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/v-akcom/story/739717p-787512c.html

The story I quoted in my original email was inaccurate in numerous
details.

The bear was as large as it looked in the photo because that was how
large it looked in the photo.

It was not weighed at 1600 pounds, it was dressed out without having
been weighed. It has been estimated at 1200 pounds (see the
article).

It was not a world's record.

And apparently the Boone & Crockett world's record I found earlier is
not the largest bear skull ever measured. I don't know how that
works. Maybe it is like boxing, every federation has its own champ.

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 11:10:45 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 21:23:34 -0400, Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com>
wrote:

>Yes, I disagree with that. It appears to be a dead bear laying with

>his head on a rock and a human beside and only very slightly to the
>rear of it.

Slightly to the rear of the bear entirely, perhaps, but not just
slightly to the rear of the head. My impression is that the head
appears about 2X scale compared to the human.

> If these sinister bastards really wanted to deceive us,
>they would have had the guy hold the bear up and out at arms length so
>it would be closer to the camera.

Of course, no hunter would *ever* try to embellish a hunting
escapade... 8-)

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 11:26:02 PM5/21/02
wrote:

>Yes, I disagree with that. It appears to be a dead bear laying with

>his head on a rock and a human beside and only very slightly to the
>rear of it.

Using the additional information posted in the article that you
presented with the Real Story, we see that the bare skull of this bear
measures 10-11/16" wide. In the picture the plane of the forehead,
even at an angle, and taking into account the hair and fat, is wider
than the spread of the person's shoulders. Either this human is a
very narrow human, indeed, or there is a perspective issue here.

For those who have lost the reference, here is the image being
discussed. Is the bear's head in the same scale as the human, or is
it, by way of perspective, shown to be relatively larger?

http://www.vom.com/jack/Bear.jpg

Mike Graham

May 21, 2002, 11:28:45 PM5/21/02
On 21 May 2002 16:22:47 -0700, sp...@lne.com (Eric Murray) wrote:

>So it's not hard to accidentally get too close to a bear, and what that
>happens they charge. (Polar bears are different and will stalk and eat
>people, but we're talking grizzlys here).

The number that I've heard is 150'. A grizzly will generally try to
stay out of your way, as you say, but if you get within 150-ish feet
without it noticing, and suddenly 'pop up', then you're in the kill
zone.

Mike Henry

May 22, 2002, 12:46:14 AM5/22/02
While getting outfitted for one of our annual canoe trips to Quetico (sp?)
Park in Canada the outfitter was giving us city boys his standard pitch on
bear safety in the north woods (no food in tents, suspend food pack from a
tree, don't throw pots at a bear that moseys into your camp, etc). An old
timer listened to the speel and then advised that we carry a 0.22 at all
times, in case of encounters with a bear. When asked what good a 0.22 would
do to discourage a bear attack he suggested that I shoot my partner in the
leg, which would let me get away while the bear munched on the partner.

Those were the days!

"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

Gunner

May 22, 2002, 2:31:28 AM5/22/02
Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com> wrote:

>I agree about the weapon choice. If I were hunting typical Alaskan
>sized deer I would probably carry a larger caliber rifle. If I was
>hunting a bear of that size I would not use anything less than a .358
>Magnum and only handloads with the best grade and heaviest possible
>bullets.
>
>The 7mm Mag (mainstream production ammo anyway) is notorious for poor
>penetration (skin or shallow bone blowups) at closer ranges. If the
>story is right, he was lucky to have an autoloader and must have
>maintained his poise in placing his shots well enough to get the
>animal stopped.

I agree. When I spent time in bear country, I carried my 375 H&H and
at least 275gr soft points. In fact thats what I used to put down that
griz with. When hunting in country with dangerous game, I will make
my game rifle bigger than normal, "just in case". I tend to do most of
my hunting with a 300 Win Mag or 3006 and use the heaviest bullets
that will still reliably work on the game Im actually hunting. In big
bear country, hunting antelope, caribou, etc, Id still carry 190s at
the least, as the game doesn't seem to notice the difference when one
lets one hold one.

I have never intentionally hunted Big bear, but have no regrets about
putting that griz down, as I did everything possible to avoid the
confrontation. Im VERY cautious in big bear country, to avoid such. I
grew up in northern Michigan, around the average everyday black bear,
and they are pretty mellow most of the time, but like humans..any bear
can be having a bad day..or have schizo moments.

LOL..I caught a big old sow once, by the tip of the nose, with a royal
coachman dry fly, on the back cast. She was a bit pissed, but as I was
on the other side of the blue berry bushes, she didn't realize it was
me..and a strong flick of the fly rod, and no other motion popped it
right out. Now the moose that tried to stomp me into moosh...was
another story...

Gunner

Gary Coffman

May 22, 2002, 4:10:40 AM5/22/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:26:02 -0400, Mike Graham <mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:
> For those who have lost the reference, here is the image being
>discussed. Is the bear's head in the same scale as the human, or is
>it, by way of perspective, shown to be relatively larger?
>
>http://www.vom.com/jack/Bear.jpg

At the risk of beating a dead horse (err, bear), you're right.
The camera is close to the bear's head, and the guy is
kneeling back by the bear's ass. That is making the bear's
head look nearly 2x as large as it actually is. It is a very big
bear, though.

Gary

Jack Erbes

May 22, 2002, 8:03:56 AM5/22/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:10:45 -0400, Mike Graham
<mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

> Slightly to the rear of the bear entirely, perhaps, but not just
>slightly to the rear of the head. My impression is that the head
>appears about 2X scale compared to the human.
>
>> If these sinister bastards really wanted to deceive us,
>>they would have had the guy hold the bear up and out at arms length so
>>it would be closer to the camera.
>
> Of course, no hunter would *ever* try to embellish a hunting
>escapade... 8-)

He has his elbow at or near the back of the skull or on the neck, he
located approximately at the bear's shoulder. This is not an object
placement intended to deceive the viewer. You must be thinking of
someplace where that is the customary practice. Some place like this
where every photo has the human placed that way:

http://www.apos.ab.ca/bear2.htm

He is beside the bear, he is not behind it. If he was behind the bear
he would be 15 feet or so from the camera. That is not the case here.

"2X scale"? Nothing was scaled up or down. The damn thing was more
than twice as tall as the average human and weighs as much as five or
six healthy adult male humans. Wouldn't that account for its
appearing to be enormous in the photo?

Dave

May 22, 2002, 8:08:50 AM5/22/02

Gary Coffman wrote:

> At the risk of beating a dead horse (err, bear), you're right.
> The camera is close to the bear's head, and the guy is
> kneeling back by the bear's ass. That is making the bear's
> head look nearly 2x as large as it actually is. It is a very big
> bear, though.
>
> Gary

Bear with me...Here's more photos:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm

Mike Graham

May 22, 2002, 8:37:37 AM5/22/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 08:03:56 -0400, Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com>
wrote:

>He has his elbow at or near the back of the skull or on the neck,

Do you see that large, dark thing in front of him? That's the
bear's arm. He was at least a couple of feet behind the skull, and I
believe he was farther back than that.

See the other picture at:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm

for comparison, and see where the hunter himself says that the
picture in question increases the size of the bear's head.

>"2X scale"? Nothing was scaled up or down. The damn thing was more
>than twice as tall as the average human and weighs as much as five or
>six healthy adult male humans. Wouldn't that account for its
>appearing to be enormous in the photo?

Read what the hunter has to say, and see the other picture. Note
how much smaller the bear appears to be in the other picture.

Compare the width of the bear's head to the width of the human's
torso.

Jack Erbes

May 22, 2002, 8:55:37 AM5/22/02
<mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote:

> Using the additional information posted in the article that you
>presented with the Real Story, we see that the bare skull of this bear
>measures 10-11/16" wide. In the picture the plane of the forehead,
>even at an angle, and taking into account the hair and fat, is wider
>than the spread of the person's shoulders. Either this human is a
>very narrow human, indeed, or there is a perspective issue here.

We need some more numbers here Mike, how much of what we see is flesh,
fur, and ears? Here is a photo of a skull from a slightly smaller
bear, nothing to scale it against though. Looks like a bear skull is
pretty small once you get the bear removed from it.

http://www.boone-crockett.org/bc_records_24th.html

>For those who have lost the reference, here is the image being
>discussed. Is the bear's head in the same scale as the human, or is
>it, by way of perspective, shown to be relatively larger?

And here are some comparables to use for comparing the relative sizing
of people and bear heads in photos:

http://www.apos.ab.ca/bear2.htm

Looks to me like the skull in the photo I posted is much larger,
relative to the apparent size of the human head in the same photo, and
that the human head is relatively closer to being on the same plane as
the bear head. All that tells me that the bear in question is much
larger than any of the others.

I simply glanced at the photos. After years of looking at photos, I
probably simply made a reasoned judgement (subconsciously and
irrespective of object placement) that the size of this bear was
interesting.

Thanks to your critical eye and truth seeking mind, I have now
agonized over myriad details of the photos and came to the same
decision. That bear is huge. That bear is about two or three times
as large as any of the bears in any of the other photos.

Anyone ever see that thing on TV about whether the parrot was dead or
not? For some reason that comes to mind. The dead animals I guess.
I saw that, and my heart went out to the guy who suspected that his
parrot was dead. In fact, I was a little infuriated by that obstinate
parrot salesman denying the obvious.

MLedtje

May 22, 2002, 10:10:10 AM5/22/02
When we were in Alaska, the local Park Rangers literature described
the local bears as grizzlies, also known as brown bears. Kodiak's were
described as a variant of the same bear type, but larger. Maybe due to
better nutrition from better fishing on Kodiak Island?

Normally, the brown bears will avoid humans if they can. Only the
Polar bear seeks out humans for food. Polar bears are a completely
different subject. The brochure mentioned bear dangers, and black
bears are seemingly more dangerous than brown (grizzly) bears. Blacks
can attack for the same reasons as grizzlies, or for no reason at all.
And then a black bear won't stop until you are quite dead. A grizzly
normally only attacks for three reasons:

1. You threatened a mother's cubs (she perceived the threat, not you)
2. You threatened a bear's food supply (or you smell/look like food
and the bear is hungry
3. The dog reflex - you run and the bear will chase. Coming around a
corner and finding a bear right there falls into this category.

And when a grizzly feels the threat is gone (you aren't dead, but you
aren't going to be taking his/her food either) they stop and leave you
alone.

And they listed the number of deaths due to bear attack in the last 50
years. The number was around 7. They also listed the number of deaths
due to dog attacks in the last 20 years and the number was around 50.

All that aside, I would still rather pet a dog. And I will still give
the brown bears plenty of clearance when we see them.

Oh, we saw 6 brown (grizzly) bears in the wild and 11 more in Denali.
We were as close a 50' to the bears in the wild, and much closer to
the bears in Denali (safe in the tour bus).

Mike L
Deadhorse, Alaska 6-6-99

sunworshiper

May 22, 2002, 10:28:22 AM5/22/02
On 21 May 2002 20:23:03 GMT, plalb...@aol.com (PLAlbrecht) wrote:

I get a Far Side calendar every X-mas , this is suppose to be the last
year that they are made , bummer.

There is one with a shark with its head out of the water and fins up
to its mouth shouting "Bear! Bear!" as the beach goers look behind and
run to the water.

Or this one. Two guys in the jungle looking at a book with clothing
and other articles shreaded and strewn about. "Here's the last entry
in Carlson's journal: Having won their confidence, tomorrow I shall
test the humor of these giant but gentle primates with a simple
joy-buzzer handshake."

BTW Pete, I haven't run across the one your looking for , unless the
above shark one is the one your talking about.

Mike Graham

May 22, 2002, 10:44:42 AM5/22/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 08:55:37 -0400, Jack Erbes <jac...@midmaine.com>
wrote:

>I simply glanced at the photos. After years of looking at photos, I

>probably simply made a reasoned judgement (subconsciously and
>irrespective of object placement) that the size of this bear was
>interesting.

I have a similar but opposite reason to question the photos... after
years of dealing with animals as large and larger than the bear in
question, I'm familiar with basically how large an animal of that
weight would be, and that first picture is just not rational. *Maybe*
if it was a 2200lb polar bear it might be that size. Maybe. Or
perhaps a yearling beluga whale.

>Thanks to your critical eye and truth seeking mind, I have now
>agonized over myriad details of the photos and came to the same
>decision. That bear is huge. That bear is about two or three times
>as large as any of the bears in any of the other photos.

Well now you can agonize over the myriad details of the second photo
which shows the bear much smaller relative to the humans. All I said
was that the photo is using perspective to make the bear's head look
larger than it is, relative to the human. The hunter himself admits
as much in the caption under that photo in the link I gave you in my
last message.

RKurtz

May 22, 2002, 12:49:43 PM5/22/02
I've had the opportunity hunt and camp in upstate PA near the New York border,
I feel fortunate enough to have seen bears. One had wandered within 30 ft. of
the tent one summer evening, right after cooking dinner, during which I had
just explained to the girlfriend how one shouldn't be cooking within 100 yards
of camp. Having read somewhere that you can sometimes scare off the smaller
black bears by raising your arms(to create a seemingly larger animal) and
yelling, I tried it. The bear stopped minding his own business and decided to
investigate what the hell was going on, so I grabbed the shotgun from the tent,
shot in the air, and it loped off, frightened by the noise. I learned then to
watch first, check for cubs before doing anything, and to carry more wallop
than 7-1/2 bird shot.
Still wasn't as nerve-racking as stepping in a pile of still-steaming bear
scat in the pre-dawn darkness while archery hunting!
Anyway, for your reading enjoyment...
BEARS

A Russian scientist and a Czechoslovakian scientist had spent their
lives studying the grizzly bear. Each year they petitioned their respective
governments to allow them to go to Yellowstone to study the bears.
Finally their request was granted, and they immediately flew to NY
and on West to Yellowstone. They reported to the ranger station and
were told that it was the grizzly mating season and it was too dangerous to go
out and study the animals. They pleaded that this was their only chance, and
finally the ranger relented.
The Russian and the Czech were given portable phones and told to report in
every day. For several days they called in, and then nothing was heard from the
two scientists.
The rangers mounted a search party and found the camp completely ravaged, with
no sign of the missing men. They followed the trail of a male and a female
bear.
They found the female and decided they must kill the animal to find out if she
had eaten the scientists because they feared an international incident.
They killed the female animal and opened the stomach to find the remains of the
Russian. One ranger turned to the other and said, "You know what this means,
don't you?"
The other ranger responded, "Of course..."

"The Czech is in the male."

Ron

Jerry

May 22, 2002, 1:02:15 PM5/22/02

"RKurtz" <dood...@aol.com> wrote in message

Bad boy!!

BEAR

May 22, 2002, 2:40:02 PM5/22/02
Jack Erbes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Someone sent me these pics, I can't verify the story but the photos
> are pretty interesting.
>
> The story is that the guy in the photo for the forest service in
> Alaska. He was out deer hunting. A large world record Griz charged
> him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded a 7mm Mag Semi-auto
> into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The thing was still
> alive so he reloaded and capped it in the head. It weighed over one
> thousand six hundred pounds! Standing, it would be 12'6" high at the
> shoulder! It's a world record and the bear had killed a couple of
> people. Of course, the game department did not let him keep it.
>
> http://www.vom.com/jack/BearPaw.jpg
> http://www.vom.com/jack/Bear.jpg

> Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jac...@midmaine.com)
> (formerly ja...@vom.com, either email address will work for the foreseeable future)

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

This is proportedly the true story:

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm

As far as I am concerned these two macho men are major jerks - they went precisely to
a place where bear would be, and shot one. Deer hunting, my ass.

Regardless of the actions of the bear, they had no business where they were, and probably
knew that. I'm on the bear's side, and am sorry that he didn't kick their butts back to the
military base they belonged on. Poor bear.

These two should have been fined and or arrested.

_-_-bear

--
_-_-bearlabs

http://www.bearlabsUSA.com
- Silver Lightning Interconnects -

BEAR

May 22, 2002, 2:43:20 PM5/22/02
Gunner wrote:

> mechm...@hotmail.com (reaker) wrote:
>
> >I would rather have a bloody great bear than some fuckwit dressed up
> >in camouflage. Protecting himself yeah right.
>
> During a trip or two into bear country, Ive had occasion to be
> attacked by bears. In one case, I had to shoot him. If Id not, Id have
> wound up little blue denim pieces imbedded in little piles of bear
> poop.
>

> Unless you know bears and bear country, dont bother to post. Now..I
> gather you rather the bear(insert any of Gods brown eyed creatures)

> had won. Would you care to give us your take on Mountain Lions and
> small children? Coyotes, FooFoo your dog and backyards?
> Perhaps our African posters would care to comment on large carnivores
> and humans? Our Aussi members on sharks and humans?
>
> Its taken me millions of years to rise to the top of the food chain,
> and I intend to stay there.
>
> Gunner, PETA member
> "People Eating Tasty Animals"
>

> "The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
> with a liberal and winning. "

These two yahoos went looking for a bear, and say as much.

They're both lying sacks of parcels, as far as I am concerned. In this case, my
sentiment is with the bear.

Mike Graham

May 22, 2002, 3:54:13 PM5/22/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:43:20 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>These two yahoos went looking for a bear, and say as much.

The important thing is that the guy bought the bear license before
he went out. That makes it okay in my books.

Mike Gray

May 22, 2002, 7:08:03 PM5/22/02
"Jerry" <j.jm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>"RKurtz" <dood...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I've had the opportunity hunt and camp in upstate PA near the New York border,
>> I feel fortunate enough to have seen bears. One had wandered within 30 ft. of
>> the tent one summer evening, right after cooking dinner, during which I had
>> just explained to the girlfriend

I should remind you that you really shouldn't take your girlfriend
into bear country if she's having her period either!! Bears have a
very sharp sense of smell and blood has a very attractive odour to
bears!
Mike, in the real north country...northcentral BC, Canada

RKurtz

May 22, 2002, 9:10:44 PM5/22/02
I didn't know the bear's brother hung out in this newsgroup.

Ed Rinehart

May 22, 2002, 9:44:46 PM5/22/02

BEAR wrote:

> This is proportedly the true story:
>
> http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm
>
> As far as I am concerned these two macho men are major jerks - they went precisely to
> a place where bear would be, and shot one. Deer hunting, my ass.
>
> Regardless of the actions of the bear, they had no business where they were, and probably
> knew that. I'm on the bear's side, and am sorry that he didn't kick their butts back to the
> military base they belonged on. Poor bear.
>
> These two should have been fined and or arrested.

On what charge? The shooter had a bear license and naturally
knew he might encounter one. When I am hunting with both an
elk tag and a bear tag in my pocket, I'm hunting both elk
_and_bear and am likely to hunt in a place that has both.
That's exactly what this hunter was doing and his hunt
appeared to be completely legal from the descriptions I have
read. They had every right to be where they were. I would
like to take you bear hunting. I'll give you a sack of
donuts to share with your buddy, the bear.

Ed Rinehart in Laramie

> _-_-bear

Mike Graham

May 23, 2002, 12:00:08 AM5/23/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:08:03 GMT, mcg...@futurenet.bc.ca (Mike Gray)
wrote:

>I should remind you that you really shouldn't take your girlfriend
>into bear country if she's having her period either!! Bears have a
>very sharp sense of smell and blood has a very attractive odour to
>bears!

That wolf attack of a few years back was blamed on that, too, as I
recall.

Glen Walpert

May 23, 2002, 7:49:16 AM5/23/02
Subject: Bear Warning

The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests
for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by
wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they
should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and
Grizzly Bear dung:

- Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can
see fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it;

- Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray.

sunworshiper

May 23, 2002, 9:38:59 AM5/23/02
wrote:

>"Jerry" <j.jm...@verizon.net> wrote:

Or in the surf ! This is REALLY dangerous. In '80 my girl friend and
I where doing it in the surf and gave up after awhile cause it was to
difficult to hold her when the waves hit. It was a beautiful day and
the water exceptionally clear , I was chest deep in the water and
noticed that when the water chops in a triangular shape and the sun
reflects off of it you can see through the surface like glass. As I
was checking out this new phenomenon I saw a 16' tiger shark about 20'
away and crusing slowly adjacent to me. I froze and slowly turned
around to tell her and she had the pailest look on her face and
backing away , she was close to me , but was already 20' away !
Funny how in total fear one can think logically , she didn't love me !

MLedtje

May 23, 2002, 9:51:58 AM5/23/02
I don't believe this is the last year for the Far Side calender or
otherwise. I thought that when I bought the calender. The calender was
written up to give you that impression, look more closely. In this
case, the LAST Far Side calender refers to someone's or some animal's
LAST day alive.

Next year could be a different theme maybe the COFFEE Far Side
calender with every joke revolving around COFFEE.

Mike L

Mike Graham

May 23, 2002, 11:21:09 AM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:38:59 GMT, sunworshiper
<sunworshi...@deja.com> wrote:

>Or in the surf ! This is REALLY dangerous.

While this sounds very reasonable, it has apparently been debunked.
Visit the Museum of Menstruation web site (yes, there is one) and
you'll find this info:

Are Sharks Attracted to Menstrual Blood?
The next item I took from an Internet page by Samuel Shelanski, M.D.
called Diving and Menstruation, copyright 1994-1996 Rodale Press.
There's much more on that page worth reading, including potential
health problems caused by diving during menstruation.
Over the course of their periods, most women lose between 50 to 150 ml
(one-quarter to three-quarters cup) of blood and tissue. While this is
not a physiologically significant amount, many women fear that this
discharge may attract sharks. The truth is that women divers are
attacked by sharks less often than men are. In his book Diving and
Subaquatic Medicine, Dr. Carl Edmonds suggests that this may in part
be due to a repellent effect of some component of the menstrual blood
that is released. While this has not been formally tested, it is fair
to say that the danger of shark attack from diving during one's period
is substantially less than what results from other activities, such as
spear fishing.

The article in full can be found at:
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/menstruation.shtml

Gunner

May 23, 2002, 1:13:23 PM5/23/02

"Winnen wasn't there to hunt bear. Instead, he and his hunting buddies
packed for a week of hunting for Sitka blacktail deer on the remote,
wooded island. Winnen did, however, pick up a permit to shoot a bear
just in case. "

"A tooth was pulled from the jaw of the skull by a state biologist so
the bear can be aged. Biologist Crowley said he suspects the bear was 15
to 20 years old. He added that the bear was no stranger to guides who
know the area. "

"One of our local guides has been after it a couple of times," Crowley
said. "Its luck finally just ran out."

Hummmm so they had no business there, and should be fined and arrested
for legally taking a bear?

Did you even read the site you linked to?

Gunner, Bambi Lover (with potatos, red eye gravy and an appropriate
wine)

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Gunner

May 23, 2002, 2:05:05 PM5/23/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 19:44:46 -0600, Ed Rinehart <rine...@uwyo.edu>
wrote:

> I'll give you a sack of
>donuts to share with your buddy, the bear.

Nice, hot, fresh, greasy donuts.....bears love them. Will go to great
lengths to get them. Will tear just about anything apart to get them.
Get really pissed if they dont get them.

Hummm the problem comes in..AFTER the bear gets handed the donuts. They
get eaten all up, yummy! But..whats that? The bear still smells donuts!

" Gosh..MORE DONUTS are here somewhere..sniff sniff..hey..that guy who
just gave me donuts (Yummy) still smells like donuts..so of course he
has more of them. No problem. Huh? He is not handing me more
donuts..that dirty rat! But he has them on his person HIDING them.
Donuts!! YUMMY..more donuts! All I have to do is find out where he is
hiding them! Since I can claw open a fallen tree to get bugs.. finding
them on the donut holdout is no problem. Since I can run really fast on
flat ground..catching that noisy donut holdout is no problem."

Make your peace with your creator. A 1000lb buzz saw is fixing to
disassemble you in search of HIS donuts. Nothing personal, and he is not
intending on harming you..he just wants his donuts. Too bad bears are
not the brightest mammal in the world, and tend to get very single
minded when it comes to food. Of couse..the sudden smell of all the
blood and the screaming tends to bring the predator mechanism to the
forebrain..but thats just nature at work. Gods little brown eyed
creatures have to eat too.

Gunner, One of Gods little brown eyed creature, who has to eat too

I even like bear. Crock pot for a couple days in cheap red wine, onions,
spuds, carrots (skim the grease a couple times a day), some rutabega..a
tasty roast that melts off the fork. YUMMY! Almost as good as fresh,
hot, greasy donuts.

Ronald Thompson

May 23, 2002, 2:22:23 PM5/23/02
I liked that. Gunner, you have entirely too much time on your hands.<G>

--
Ron Thompson
Machinist student
On The Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

Gunner

May 23, 2002, 3:07:35 PM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:22:23 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
<thom...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>I liked that. Gunner, you have entirely too much time on your hands.<G>

Sigh..way too much time. Wish the phone would ring ...come on
somebody..break something!

Most folks dont realize that wild animals are not the cute fuzzy little
brown eyed creatures that they see in the movies. When a critter kills
another critter to eat..I seldom hear crys of outrage from the PETA
folks..in fact..they tend to get a squeamish look, turn green, and avoid
the subject of food chain....

They somehow think that humans are above and seperate from the natural
order of life. Comes from getting their food packaged in neat white
styrofoam trays all neatly wrapped in plastic, with no blood or bone
chunks visible. They are so divorced from the process, that they cannot
relate to the burger they just relished at Micky Ds, to a huge moving
chunk of livestock that shits and pisses as its being killed at the
slaughter house....or even to it, as it grazes out in Natures fields.

The same person whom salivates at the mention of pork chops, gets all
whiny and wimpering about jerking a hog off the ground by its hind legs
and cutting its throat and watching it spaz around as it bleeds out.

Reality is sometimes too much for those that protest the loudest, then
go off to celebrate their superiority with a non veggie meal.

I have at least, some respect for real vegitarians, whom practice what
they preach, even though they tend to forget that Humans have been
geneticly evolved as omnivorse..not herbivores, that NEED some meat in
their diet, B12 and such.

Sigh..but I digress.

Gunner

Gunner

May 23, 2002, 3:14:07 PM5/23/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:43:20 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>> Its taken me millions of years to rise to the top of the food chain,
>> and I intend to stay there.
>>
>> Gunner, PETA member
>> "People Eating Tasty Animals"
>>
>> "The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
>> with a liberal and winning. "
>
>These two yahoos went looking for a bear, and say as much.
>
>They're both lying sacks of parcels, as far as I am concerned. In this case, my
>sentiment is with the bear.
>
> _-_-bear

Pardon me..but what two yahoos?

Ronald Thompson

May 23, 2002, 3:16:53 PM5/23/02
I agree. Most people think green beans come from cans.

I had (now deceased) a brother-in-law who asked his wife to plant pickles in
her garden because he liked them. No shi.. uh really.

I seem to recall a line from a movie where someone was trying to get some
guy to eat veggies. He said something like That's not food, that's what food
eats.

--
Ron Thompson
Machinist student
On The Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA
"Gunner" <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message

Loren Coe

May 23, 2002, 5:28:31 PM5/23/02
In article <uieqeuo7l5ibfe75u...@4ax.com>, Gunner wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:22:23 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
><thom...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>I liked that. Gunner, you have entirely too much time on your hands.<G>

yes, ditto. i am starting to feel like a mental midget around here,
maybe i need to unsubscribe to save my delusions...

> They somehow think that humans are above and seperate from the natural
> order of life. Comes from getting their food packaged in neat white
> styrofoam trays all neatly wrapped in plastic, with no blood or bone
> chunks visible. They are so divorced from the process, that they cannot
> relate to the burger they just relished at Micky Ds, to a huge moving
> chunk of livestock that shits and pisses as its being killed at the
> slaughter house....or even to it, as it grazes out in Natures fields.

it's my opinion that a visit to a slaugherhouse is one experience
that _everyone_ would benefit from.

also, i believe that 90% of the gun "nuts" have never actually killed
an animal with a gun. it makes for a screwy circular kind of thinking.

--Loren

B.Hardy

May 23, 2002, 7:11:38 PM5/23/02

> As far as I am concerned these two macho men are major jerks - they went
precisely to
> a place where bear would be, and shot one. Deer hunting, my ass.

Must have an awful big arse....

frank

May 23, 2002, 8:26:44 PM5/23/02
Perhaps it should be "rebunked".

In mid 2000, I think it was June, a study was published on the method sharks
use to locate blood in seawater.
It is the sound of blood/water chemistry at the cell level that can be heard
by sharks. No, I did not memorize
the citation, but the science was good. This was the first explanation of
how sharks could "sense" blood from
so far away.

"Mike Graham" <mi...@metalmangler.com> wrote in message

Ed Rinehart

May 23, 2002, 10:06:04 PM5/23/02

Gunner wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2002 19:44:46 -0600, Ed Rinehart <rine...@uwyo.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > I'll give you a sack of
> >donuts to share with your buddy, the bear.
>
> Nice, hot, fresh, greasy donuts.....bears love them. Will go to great
> lengths to get them. Will tear just about anything apart to get them.
> Get really pissed if they dont get them.
>
> Hummm the problem comes in..AFTER the bear gets handed the donuts. They
> get eaten all up, yummy! But..whats that? The bear still smells donuts!

Precisely! That's why I offered to provide the donuts for
BEAR. (evil grin) My son, James , uses donuts for bear bait.
He picks up the excess from the local donut shop and hauls
it up to the ranch and back into the timber for the bear he
has been after for three years. Now that's a little black
bear, not a grizzly of course, so he's not quite so
aggressive.

(snipped to pacify the bandwidth gods)

> Gunner, One of Gods little brown eyed creature, who has to eat too

Ed Rinehart in Laramie (who has killed his own food
regularly)

Don Wilkins

May 23, 2002, 10:13:57 PM5/23/02
wrote:

>,;"Jerry" <j.jm...@verizon.net> wrote:
>,;>"RKurtz" <dood...@aol.com> wrote in message
>,;>news:20020522124943...@mb-cj.aol.com...
>,;>> I've had the opportunity hunt and camp in upstate PA near the New York border,
>,;>> I feel fortunate enough to have seen bears. One had wandered within 30 ft. of
>,;>> the tent one summer evening, right after cooking dinner, during which I had
>,;>> just explained to the girlfriend
>,;
>,;I should remind you that you really shouldn't take your girlfriend
>,;into bear country if she's having her period either!! Bears have a
>,;very sharp sense of smell and blood has a very attractive odour to
>,;bears!

The plus side is that you don't need to be able to out run the bear.
You probably will however need to be able to out run your girl
friend.;-)

PLAlbrecht

May 23, 2002, 10:45:45 PM5/23/02
>>My son, James , uses donuts for bear bait.

What kind of hook, and what strength line do you use?

>>hauls it up to the ranch and back into the timber for the bear he has been
after for three years.

Heck, that's not hunting. That's dating.

Bear: "You're not up here for the huntin', are ya?"

Ed's son: "And you're not up here for the donuts, are ya?"

:-)

Pete

sunworshiper

May 23, 2002, 10:50:52 PM5/23/02

Yeah yeah yeah , I just told ya. Go ahead and believe yahoo ( not
the computer people) . I'll play shark bait way way out and you bang
the girl half way close to shore and I'll watch ya get munched. I
think your #'s are off , cause I use to live next to the coast and
most are mexican girls on the "news". Oh well , I maybe wrong , but
I'm not playing the same game to prove you wrong again !
Who cares? I swim out way too far to help myself from such an animal
in its own environment to even think about surviving.

Reminds me of a cop story when they asked me how the surf was in NV!

Ronald Thompson

May 23, 2002, 10:53:57 PM5/23/02
Hell, if she smells, you need a new girlfriend anyway.<GRIN>

--
Ron Thompson
Machinist student
On The Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

Douglas Baugher

May 23, 2002, 10:58:02 PM5/23/02
Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net> wrote in message news:<uieqeuo7l5ibfe75u...@4ax.com>...

> On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:22:23 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
> <thom...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> >I liked that. Gunner, you have entirely too much time on your hands.<G>
>
> Sigh..way too much time. Wish the phone would ring ...come on
> somebody..break something!
>
> Most folks dont realize that wild animals are not the cute fuzzy little
> brown eyed creatures that they see in the movies. When a critter kills
> another critter to eat..I seldom hear crys of outrage from the PETA
> folks..in fact..they tend to get a squeamish look, turn green, and avoid
> the subject of food chain....
>
> They somehow think that humans are above and seperate from the natural
> order of life. Comes from getting their food packaged in neat white
> styrofoam trays all neatly wrapped in plastic, with no blood or bone
> chunks visible. They are so divorced from the process, that they cannot
> relate to the burger they just relished at Micky Ds, to a huge moving
> chunk of livestock that shits and pisses as its being killed at the
> slaughter house....or even to it, as it grazes out in Natures fields.
>
> The same person whom salivates at the mention of pork chops, gets all
> whiny and wimpering about jerking a hog off the ground by its hind legs
> and cutting its throat and watching it spaz around as it bleeds out.
>
> Reality is sometimes too much for those that protest the loudest, then
> go off to celebrate their superiority with a non veggie meal.

Gunner you forgot to mention one of the most hypocritcal acts of all.
You gotta love it when you prepare a nice venison roast and someone
will not eat one bite of it because it came from a cute little deer.
The same individual who refuses to partake of the venison roast never
saw a hamburger that she didnt like. I have seen the same person
refuse to eat a dove but wouldnt hesitate to scarf down a chicken
dinner.
I am an animal lover who hates to see any animal suffer. (well I will
make an exception for mosquitos or rats). I would not hunt deer, dove,
or any other game animal if they were not made out of meat.
Check this out
http://www.theonion.com/onion3420/animal_rights.html

The article from is from the onion. They had an even funnier one
published in one of their books but not available online. The article
not found in their archive was about vegetarians who got feedup with
the green stuff and started to reclassify cows, chickens, etc as
vegtables.

Mike Graham

May 23, 2002, 11:51:03 PM5/23/02
On Fri, 24 May 2002 02:50:52 GMT, sunworshiper
<sunworshi...@deja.com> wrote:

>the computer people) . I'll play shark bait way way out and you bang
>the girl half way close to shore and I'll watch ya get munched.

You mentioned unusual clarity of the water at the time... I wonder
how many times you may have had 'close encounters' with large sharks
without noticing.

Anyway, these aren't "my #'s", and no doubt there are other opinions
out there. It may interest you to know, though, that when a woman
gets into the water she stops menstruating. Ask a woman about it -
they'll even stop when they're in the shower. As soon as they dry
off, they start up again. Anyway, I'm sure there's bound to be a web
site out there somewhere with shark victim tallies broken down by
gender... probably wouldn't be hard to find.

Ed Rinehart

May 24, 2002, 12:20:48 AM5/24/02

PLAlbrecht wrote:

> >>My son, James , uses donuts for bear bait.
>
> What kind of hook, and what strength line do you use?

Knowing you, I should have seen that one coming. But I'm
suprised that you would take such an easy shot.

> >>hauls it up to the ranch and back into the timber for the bear he has been
> after for three years.
>
> Heck, that's not hunting. That's dating.
>
> Bear: "You're not up here for the huntin', are ya?"
>
> Ed's son: "And you're not up here for the donuts, are ya?"

Nah. We're kind of backward and old-fashioned here in
Wyoming and have not yet learned to enjoy such "advanced"
lifestyles as (some of) you folks in California take for
granted.

We'll do things our way and let you do things your way. (G)

As soon as the bear is in hailing distance, he will be met
with about 220 grains of copper-jacketed (metal content)
lead propelled by about 83 grains of H4831 out of a 300 Wby
magnum. At that point, the bear will definetly have a "bad
day".

:^) Ed Rinehart in Laramie

> :-)
>
> Pete

PLAlbrecht

May 24, 2002, 9:59:28 AM5/24/02
>>Nah. We're kind of backward and old-fashioned here in
Wyoming and have not yet learned to enjoy such "advanced"
lifestyles as (some of) you folks in California take for
granted.

Well, it's not just us. It seems that there are folks way up north who know all
about bears, sharks, unorthodox ways of chumming the water, the finer points of
female plumbing, and dating whales.

Pete

Loren Coe

May 24, 2002, 5:38:01 PM5/24/02
In article <3CEDBFA0...@uwyo.edu>, Ed Rinehart wrote:
> We'll do things our way and let you do things your way. (G)
>
> As soon as the bear is in hailing distance, he will be met
> with about 220 grains of copper-jacketed (metal content)
> lead propelled by about 83 grains of H4831 out of a 300 Wby
> magnum. At that point, the bear will definetly have a "bad
> day". > > >:^) Ed Rinehart in Laramie

why are you shooting the bear? is he a pest?

some years ago, in Cloudcroft New Mexico, they had open
season on any bear within the village limits. they had
become major and numerous pests, and were almost considered
'varmit' for awhile.

we were on the route of a big one (black bear), and he would
get mad if there was nothing good in the trash. then he threw
the cans. i nailed him one nite with a 20mm solid core Sheridan
pellet, just at the moment my wife turned on the porch lite.

i was shooting from a darkend bedroom window and was amazed at
how far that bear jumped in one leap (about 20 feet). he was
back the next nite and i was preparing to shoot again only my
wife got to the porch lite first. as soon as the lite came
on he was off like i had shot him again. he/she never came back.

Loren (Don't Try this at Home) Coe

Errol Groff

May 24, 2002, 6:19:16 PM5/24/02

PETA

PEOPLE for the EATING of TASTY ANIMALS
Errol Groff
Instructor, Machine Tool

H.H. Ellis Regional VoTech
Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

http://pages.cthome.net/errol.groff/
www.NewEnglandModelEngineeringSociety.org

Errol Groff

May 24, 2002, 6:27:24 PM5/24/02
Follow on thought:

My wife used to be a "poor Bambi, mean hunters" person unit the night
when an apparently depressed buck threw its self in fromt of the mini
van in an attempt to end it's life. After a bit it struggled to its
feet and disappeared into the woods with a hail of curses tollowing
it.

$2600 later it is now "the only good deer is a dead deer".

If anyone is interested I could relate the story of how my son shot a
finger off hunting Bambi some years back. You would think a
Corrections Officer would know a thing or two about gun safety.

Errol Groff

"Less that a month to go to the end of the school year, thank God"

JMartin957

May 24, 2002, 6:28:51 PM5/24/02

>why are you shooting the bear? is he a pest?
>
>some years ago, in Cloudcroft New Mexico, they had open
>season on any bear within the village limits. they had
>become major and numerous pests, and were almost considered
>'varmit' for awhile.
>
>we were on the route of a big one (black bear), and he would
>get mad if there was nothing good in the trash. then he threw
>the cans. i nailed him one nite with a 20mm solid core Sheridan
>pellet, just at the moment my wife turned on the porch lite.
>
>i was shooting from a darkend bedroom window and was amazed at
>how far that bear jumped in one leap (about 20 feet). he was
>back the next nite and i was preparing to shoot again only my
>wife got to the porch lite first. as soon as the lite came
>on he was off like i had shot him again. he/she never came back.
>

> Loren (Don't Try this at Home) Coe

Loren:

He must have REALLY jumped, 'cause my Sheridan is a 5mm, not a 20. 20 caliber
is about it. 20mm is a nice anti-aircraft caliber, though.....

Not meaning to nitpick at all - just that catching this made me wonder if maybe
I am starting to think in metric. Or maybe it's just the 20mm AA association.

Do machinists think in both English and metric systems? I don't think I do,
yet. But I'm not totally sure.

John Martin

Dan Buckman

May 24, 2002, 8:37:52 PM5/24/02
Oh sheridan, I thought I read sherman, and was wondering how he got the tank
in the bedroom.

"JMartin957" <jmart...@aol.com> wrote in message

Eastburn

May 25, 2002, 12:32:37 AM5/25/02
PETA - LOLFOB - Ready for a feast!
Martin
--
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

John Keeney

May 25, 2002, 1:54:20 AM5/25/02

Loren Coe <lo...@netnews.attbi.com> wrote in message

> In article <3CEDBFA0...@uwyo.edu>, Ed Rinehart wrote:
> > We'll do things our way and let you do things your way. (G)
> >
> > As soon as the bear is in hailing distance, he will be met
> > with about 220 grains of copper-jacketed (metal content)
> > lead propelled by about 83 grains of H4831 out of a 300 Wby
> > magnum. At that point, the bear will definetly have a "bad
> > day". > > >:^) Ed Rinehart in Laramie
>
> why are you shooting the bear? is he a pest?
>
> some years ago, in Cloudcroft New Mexico, they had open
> season on any bear within the village limits. they had
> become major and numerous pests, and were almost considered
> 'varmit' for awhile.
>
> we were on the route of a big one (black bear), and he would
> get mad if there was nothing good in the trash. then he threw
> the cans. i nailed him one nite with a 20mm solid core Sheridan
> pellet, just at the moment my wife turned on the porch lite.

A 20mm solid core pellet?
Jezzz, how long did it take you to built the cannon and stash
it in your room?

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 11:42:13 AM5/25/02

Seems to me this thread appeared last year...

I recall emailing the writer...

guess the bear story has legs...

_-_-

--
_-_-bearlabs

http://www.bearlabsUSA.com
- Silver Lightning Interconnects -

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 11:47:06 AM5/25/02
Ed Rinehart wrote:

Hey Ed,

There's open season on Passenger Pigeons too... go for it!

mmmm... tasty!

:^}

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 11:56:12 AM5/25/02
Gunner wrote:

> On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:40:02 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

<snip>

> >This is proportedly the true story:
> >
> > http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm

> >As far as I am concerned these two macho men are major jerks - they went precisely to
> >a place where bear would be, and shot one. Deer hunting, my ass.
> >

> >Regardless of the actions of the bear, they had no business where they were, and probably
> >knew that. I'm on the bear's side, and am sorry that he didn't kick their butts back to the
> >military base they belonged on. Poor bear.
> >
> >These two should have been fined and or arrested.
> >
> > _-_-bear
>
> "Winnen wasn't there to hunt bear. Instead, he and his hunting buddies
> packed for a week of hunting for Sitka blacktail deer on the remote,
> wooded island. Winnen did, however, pick up a permit to shoot a bear
> just in case. "

Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked. He also could have
backed away from the bear after he saw it. Rather than that he stalked
the bear and shot him.

Or, are you suggesting that there were numerous deer hanging close to the place the
bear was? Yeah, that's the ticket! I got some real estate under the Brooklyn Bridge for you,
friend!

> "A tooth was pulled from the jaw of the skull by a state biologist so
> the bear can be aged. Biologist Crowley said he suspects the bear was 15
> to 20 years old. He added that the bear was no stranger to guides who
> know the area. "

But wanted for what crime?

> "One of our local guides has been after it a couple of times," Crowley
> said. "Its luck finally just ran out."

Another prince.

> Hummmm so they had no business there, and should be fined and arrested
> for legally taking a bear?

Perhaps they should be kicked in the butt a few times for lying about their
intentions? Notice they didn't get to keep the bear for a reason??

> Did you even read the site you linked to?

Obviously you like to read selectively. Perhaps you need to re-read the details?

BTW, I'll bet I can shoot as well as you can if not better... so this has nothing to
with that sort of issue.

> Gunner, Bambi Lover (with potatos, red eye gravy and an appropriate
> wine)

Russ Kepler

May 25, 2002, 11:48:58 AM5/25/02
Loren Coe wrote:
> we were on the route of a big one (black bear), and he would
> get mad if there was nothing good in the trash. then he threw
> the cans. i nailed him one nite with a 20mm solid core Sheridan
> pellet, just at the moment my wife turned on the porch lite.
>
> i was shooting from a darkend bedroom window and was amazed at
> how far that bear jumped in one leap (about 20 feet). he was
> back the next nite and i was preparing to shoot again only my
> wife got to the porch lite first. as soon as the lite came
> on he was off like i had shot him again. he/she never came back.

I wouoldn't expect that it'd take more than one hit with a 20mm rounds
to take out even the largest black bear...

Mike Graham

May 25, 2002, 12:02:52 PM5/25/02
On Sat, 25 May 2002 11:56:12 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
>bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked.

The way I read it, he was hunting deer but got a bear tag 'just in
case' he saw a bear. So he wasn't out specifically to hunt bear, but
he was hoping to bag one. In a case of self-defense you don't need a
tag.

PLAlbrecht

May 25, 2002, 12:05:54 PM5/25/02
Bearlabs ("On the internet, nobody knows you're a bear") wrote

>>Hey Ed,
>>There's open season on Passenger Pigeons too... go for it!

You know, Fozzy may have something there. Once a species goes extinct, nobody
will ever know what it tastes like.

I see a great opportunity for endangered-species-based tourism, maybe with
celebrity guide Emeril Lagasse...

Pete

Alan Moore

May 25, 2002, 12:23:21 PM5/25/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 19:07:35 GMT, Gunner <gun...@lightspeed.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 23 May 2002 13:22:23 -0500, "Ronald Thompson"
><thom...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>I liked that. Gunner, you have entirely too much time on your hands.<G>
>
>Sigh..way too much time. Wish the phone would ring ...come on
>somebody..break something!
>
>Most folks dont realize that wild animals are not the cute fuzzy little
>brown eyed creatures that they see in the movies.

Exactly! You can thank Disney for that, among others. Thanks to
"Bambi," deer have killed more poeple in Yosemite national park than
bears have. Everybody knows bears are dangerous, and deer aren't,
right?

>When a critter kills
>another critter to eat..I seldom hear crys of outrage from the PETA
>folks..in fact..they tend to get a squeamish look, turn green, and avoid
>the subject of food chain....

<snip>

>The same person whom salivates at the mention of pork chops, gets all
>whiny and wimpering about jerking a hog off the ground by its hind legs

>and cutting its throat and watching it spaz around as it bleeds out.

I recall someone at a barbecue getting suddenly sick on learning that
the ribs had formerly been named "Napoleon"...

<snip>

>I have at least, some respect for real vegitarians, whom practice what
>they preach, even though they tend to forget that Humans have been
>geneticly evolved as omnivorse..not herbivores, that NEED some meat in
>their diet, B12 and such.

For themselves, maybe. I also recall one of them who had a pet cat,
and wondered why it was going blind. The cat, they felt, had to be a
vegetarian, too... Talk about cruelty to animals!

>Sigh..but I digress.

Don't we all?

Al Moore

Alan Moore

May 25, 2002, 12:26:36 PM5/25/02
On Fri, 24 May 2002 22:27:24 GMT, Errol Groff <errol...@snet.net>
wrote:

>Follow on thought:
>
>My wife used to be a "poor Bambi, mean hunters" person unit the night
>when an apparently depressed buck threw its self in fromt of the mini
>van in an attempt to end it's life. After a bit it struggled to its
>feet and disappeared into the woods with a hail of curses tollowing
>it.
>
>$2600 later it is now "the only good deer is a dead deer".

Sometimes known as "Road Rats" for this reason. Imagine what
motorcyclists think of them...

>If anyone is interested I could relate the story of how my son shot a
>finger off hunting Bambi some years back. You would think a
>Corrections Officer would know a thing or two about gun safety.

I take it you haven't known many corrections officers. Good enough
guys, most of them, but...

Al Moore

PLAlbrecht

May 25, 2002, 12:31:24 PM5/25/02
Fozzy of Bearlabs wrote

>>Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked. He also could have
backed away from the bear after he saw it. Rather than that he stalked
the bear and shot him.

However, it should be pointed out to "Bearlabs" that his own website
prominently displays an image of a polar bear, the only other species (besides
tigers) known to actually stalk humans. Therefore, I submit that this
"Bearlabs" entity, whatever species it may actually be (I have a pretty good
guess), is itself part of an evil conspiracy.

I don't believe those polar bears get permits to do so. Bearlabs is part of a
murderous conspiracy to eat Eskimos (themselves an endangered species, what
with satellite TV, McDonalds and Starbucks expansion, and all).

Therefore these evil creatures have less firm legal ground to stand on (less
firm? Hell, it melts every spring...) than the hunters who legally bagged that
ambulatory rug in Alaska.

It should be pointed out to Mr. Bear that bear hunting is as American as Davy
Crockett, who kilt 'im a bar when he was three (Disney tells us so), and Dan'l
Boone, sort of a late bloomer, who didn't manage it until he was 12.

It would also appear that Fozzy can bearly read, because he says

>>Notice they didn't get to keep the bear for a reason??

even though the very article he cites says
"After the kill, Winnen and Urban spent six hours skinning the bear -- and
trying to drag its hide and skull back to the Forest Service cabin they had
rented.... Winnen spent the next three days at the cabin working with his knife
to scrape fat from the hide. He packed the hide with salt for the return trip
to Fairbanks. ...The meat was left behind because grizzly meat is generally
considered inedible....Once back, Winnen took the hide and skull to the state
Department of Fish and Game to get it sealed, as required by law... A tooth was

pulled from the jaw of the skull by a state biologist so the bear can be

aged....Winnen is having the skull preserved and mounted on a plaque. The hide
is with a taxidermist, being made into a rug."

It would only appear that he wasn't allowed to have their bear and eat it, too.
Otherwise, the hunter kept the bear.

And for those who are into conspiracy theories, remember I said tigers are the
other species to hunt humans? Well, only yesterday, authorities shot and killed
a mountain lyin' in Monrovia, California. Mere coincidence? I think not! Lions,
like tigers, are members of the cat family and are well known as being used by
the worldwide cat conspiracy as their North American "hit men" because striped
tigers would stand out too much, even in that LA suburb. This is all obviously
a conspiracy that makes the Roswell/Eleanor Roosevelt/Bozo the Clown coverup
look like the work of amateurs.

Pete

Loren Coe

May 25, 2002, 12:36:24 PM5/25/02
In article <A1BH8.107$%k1.5...@monger.newsread.com>, Dan Buckman wrote:
> Oh sheridan, I thought I read sherman, and was wondering how he got the tank
> in the bedroom.

another great laugh, good even at my expense. i am just
beginning to appreciate the sheer number of witty folks
hanging here.

thanks!

--Loren

Gunner

May 25, 2002, 1:30:02 PM5/25/02
BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

Interesting that you equate game management techniques with
uncontrolled market hunting.

Have these lapses in common sense often?

Gunner

"The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
with a liberal and winning. "

Gunner

May 25, 2002, 1:41:55 PM5/25/02
BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>Gunner wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:40:02 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:
>>

><snip>
>

>> >This is proportedly the true story:
>> >
>> > http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitcairn/145/id70.htm
>> >
>> >As far as I am concerned these two macho men are major jerks - they went precisely to
>> >a place where bear would be, and shot one. Deer hunting, my ass.
>> >
>> >Regardless of the actions of the bear, they had no business where they were, and probably
>> >knew that. I'm on the bear's side, and am sorry that he didn't kick their butts back to the
>> >military base they belonged on. Poor bear.
>> >
>> >These two should have been fined and or arrested.
>> >
>> > _-_-bear
>>
>> "Winnen wasn't there to hunt bear. Instead, he and his hunting buddies
>> packed for a week of hunting for Sitka blacktail deer on the remote,
>> wooded island. Winnen did, however, pick up a permit to shoot a bear
>> just in case. "
>
>Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
>bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked. He also could have
>backed away from the bear after he saw it. Rather than that he stalked
>the bear and shot him.

You seem to be mixing two stories. I suggest you reread the above
link.

>Or, are you suggesting that there were numerous deer hanging close to the place the
>bear was? Yeah, that's the ticket! I got some real estate under the Brooklyn Bridge for you,
>friend!

Oddly enough.. when deer huntin in bear country, I occasionaly find
bear. Why is that? Mutually exclusive range? Snicker...

>> "A tooth was pulled from the jaw of the skull by a state biologist so
>> the bear can be aged. Biologist Crowley said he suspects the bear was 15
>> to 20 years old. He added that the bear was no stranger to guides who
>> know the area. "
>
>But wanted for what crime?

Only humans can commit crimes. A game animal can be taken.

>> "One of our local guides has been after it a couple of times," Crowley
>> said. "Its luck finally just ran out."
>
>Another prince.

Another realist.

>> Hummmm so they had no business there, and should be fined and arrested
>> for legally taking a bear?
>
>Perhaps they should be kicked in the butt a few times for lying about their
>intentions? Notice they didn't get to keep the bear for a reason??

Thats odd..what part about having the skull mounted and the hide
processed didnt you understand?

>> Did you even read the site you linked to?
>>

>Obviously you like to read selectively. Perhaps you need to re-read the details?

Just because I like you, I went back and reread it just now. Seems
your still wrong. Sorry.

>BTW, I'll bet I can shoot as well as you can if not better... so this has nothing to
>with that sort of issue.

Of course not. Though..how much money are you willing to
wager?....Make it interesting for me. Shall we make it a three gun
event? Combat handgun, long range rifle and shotgun?

>> Gunner, Bambi Lover (with potatos, red eye gravy and an appropriate
>> wine)

Gunner
PPC, IDPA, IPSC,IMHSA, one time HPRS Master, CBA,
NRA, JPFO, CRPA,
PAA,
and of course PRCA (not a shooting sport)

"The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
with a liberal and winning. "

Gunner

May 25, 2002, 2:10:06 PM5/25/02
alan.s...@attbi.com (Alan Moore) wrote:

>On Fri, 24 May 2002 22:27:24 GMT, Errol Groff <errol...@snet.net>
>wrote:
>
>>Follow on thought:
>>
>>My wife used to be a "poor Bambi, mean hunters" person unit the night
>>when an apparently depressed buck threw its self in fromt of the mini
>>van in an attempt to end it's life. After a bit it struggled to its
>>feet and disappeared into the woods with a hail of curses tollowing
>>it.
>>
>>$2600 later it is now "the only good deer is a dead deer".
>
>Sometimes known as "Road Rats" for this reason. Imagine what
>motorcyclists think of them...

Never hit a deer on a scooter, came close a couple times. Need a
crowbar to break the suction between one and the motorcycle seat
afterwards.

Ive hit several coyotes though on my BMW. Not a fun thing. I wear
leathers..and it still hurts, not to mention the smell if you dont
hose off those jugs pretty quick

Gunner

>>If anyone is interested I could relate the story of how my son shot a
>>finger off hunting Bambi some years back. You would think a
>>Corrections Officer would know a thing or two about gun safety.
>
>I take it you haven't known many corrections officers. Good enough
>guys, most of them, but...
>
>Al Moore

"The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 2:44:19 PM5/25/02
Gunner wrote:

> BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:
>
> >Gunner wrote:
> >
> >> On Wed, 22 May 2002 14:40:02 -0400, BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:
> >>

> ><snip>

> >> "Winnen wasn't there to hunt bear. Instead, he and his hunting buddies
> >> packed for a week of hunting for Sitka blacktail deer on the remote,
> >> wooded island. Winnen did, however, pick up a permit to shoot a bear
> >> just in case. "

"just in case"??

In case of going to a spot where bear are known to be fishing for food during salmon
season? Duh. Guy was BS ing on the deer thing - like how come no deer were bagged?

If they had, the story would have read, we bagged our limit on deer, and on the way back...
or something like that. Don't you think?

I still say this bunch were yahoos.

You might know what you're doing if you go to hunt deer, but they were full of it, inho.

> >Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
> >bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked. He also could have
> >backed away from the bear after he saw it. Rather than that he stalked
> >the bear and shot him.
>
> You seem to be mixing two stories. I suggest you reread the above
> link.
> >
> >Or, are you suggesting that there were numerous deer hanging close to the place the
> >bear was? Yeah, that's the ticket! I got some real estate under the Brooklyn Bridge for you,
> >friend!
> >
> Oddly enough.. when deer huntin in bear country, I occasionaly find
> bear. Why is that? Mutually exclusive range? Snicker...

No, but the deer *snicker* are not likely to be within several hundred yards of a bear
that they can smell or hear. Or maybe you hunt those tame deer that you feed the rest of
the year? *snicker, snicker* (<--- silly, eh?)

> >> "A tooth was pulled from the jaw of the skull by a state biologist so
> >> the bear can be aged. Biologist Crowley said he suspects the bear was 15
> >> to 20 years old. He added that the bear was no stranger to guides who
> >> know the area. "
> >
> >But wanted for what crime?
>
> Only humans can commit crimes. A game animal can be taken.

Poor old bear, just wanted to eat some tasty salmon and be left alone... tsk tsk.

> >> "One of our local guides has been after it a couple of times," Crowley
> >> said. "Its luck finally just ran out."
> >
> >Another prince.
> >
> Another realist.

Kill 'em all! Rah rah rah...

How about you go out there with a BOWIE knife and do it the old fashioned way, big guy?
Then we're talkin... this heavy gauge rifle from a distance isn't much of a challenge.

Or do a bear *mafia style* go walk on up to him with some DONUTS, look him in the
snoot, and cap the mutha' with a single shot from your .45 between the eyes!

Then talk about it.

> >> Hummmm so they had no business there, and should be fined and arrested
> >> for legally taking a bear?
> >
> >Perhaps they should be kicked in the butt a few times for lying about their
> >intentions? Notice they didn't get to keep the bear for a reason??
> >
> Thats odd..what part about having the skull mounted and the hide
> processed didnt you understand?

I dunno... I guess they let these yahoos have the bear after all.

> >> Did you even read the site you linked to?
> >>

> >Obviously you like to read selectively. Perhaps you need to re-read the details?
> >

> Just because I like you, I went back and reread it just now. Seems
> your still wrong. Sorry.

Ok, you're right then.

> >BTW, I'll bet I can shoot as well as you can if not better... so this has nothing to
> >with that sort of issue.
> >
> Of course not. Though..how much money are you willing to
> wager?....Make it interesting for me. Shall we make it a three gun
> event? Combat handgun, long range rifle and shotgun?

I don't like them shotguns, but I'll bring my talkin stick...

but anyhow, you go do a bear mafia style and then you can be macho, ok?

> >> Gunner, Bambi Lover (with potatos, red eye gravy and an appropriate
> >> wine)
> Gunner
> PPC, IDPA, IPSC,IMHSA, one time HPRS Master, CBA,
> NRA, JPFO, CRPA,
> PAA,
> and of course PRCA (not a shooting sport)
>
> "The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
> with a liberal and winning. "

"kiss a bear on the lips today - be a man!" :- )

_-_- heh heh heh

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 2:51:47 PM5/25/02
Gunner wrote:

<snipped>

> >> We'll do things our way and let you do things your way. (G)
> >>
> >> As soon as the bear is in hailing distance, he will be met
> >> with about 220 grains of copper-jacketed (metal content)
> >> lead propelled by about 83 grains of H4831 out of a 300 Wby
> >> magnum. At that point, the bear will definetly have a "bad
> >> day".
> >>
> >> :^) Ed Rinehart in Laramie

> >Hey Ed,
> >
> > There's open season on Passenger Pigeons too... go for it!
> >
> > mmmm... tasty!
> >
> > :^}
> Interesting that you equate game management techniques with
> uncontrolled market hunting.
>
> Have these lapses in common sense often?

How many what did you hit with your motorcycle, Gunner??

"Game Management" is that what you call it?

How about the "Bureau of Indian Affairs" they did "management" of that population too, right?

But, seriously, I guess if there has to be selective population control of wildlife, it has to be,
my beef (get it, "beef"?) is with the yahoos who got this big elderly bear who was trying to
eat dinner. They COULD have backed away, since they claimed to be "out for deer"
and they went right to a spot where it was darn likely to find BEAR not deer.

And, it was a government program that just about wiped out the buffalo - that helped everyone,
right?

You may ignore my witty sarcasm...

_-_-

> Gunner
>
> "The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
> with a liberal and winning. "

Ed Rinehart

May 25, 2002, 4:09:38 PM5/25/02
BEAR wrote:

> Hey Ed,
>
> There's open season on Passenger Pigeons too... go for it!

You are apparently unable to distinguish among extinct
species, endangered species, and species whose populations
are so high that they must be managed by hunting. This seems
to be a malady suffered by many in the impacted eastern
population centers, areas whose population greatly exceeds
the carrying capacity. I could suggest a remedy, but I will
leave it to ones imagination.

Ed Rinehart in Laramie

6e70

May 25, 2002, 6:42:08 PM5/25/02
This comment is in answer to the "poor bear", "poor bambi", mindset.
When I was 12 years old, and graduating from the firearms safety
course in Minnesota, the state conservation officer who was presenting
the certicicates said to all of us: "If you see a cat in the woods,
shoot it!". An ordinary house cat in its daily travels will stalk and
kill every small creature it can. They are efficient. Studies have
been done which document the amount of kill and it is enormous. But
in the present political correctness, you don't want to mention to
anybody that you have shot said cat.
Paul.

BEAR

May 25, 2002, 7:01:47 PM5/25/02
Ed Rinehart wrote:

Yeah, apparently. ...sure.

The point is one of attitude - "if it moves shoot it."

That's HOW the passenger pigeon became extinct. That's HOW 99% of the buffalo herd
became wiped out.

I'm sure those bears are a terrible danger and burden to you on your multi thousand acre
ranch... yeah. You usually have to go LOOKING for them to hunt them, don't you?

Ah, nevermind.

My favorite method of hunting is the grenade anyhow, yours?

:- )

C'mon, this is a metal working newsgroup, and this topic is last year's news anyhow...

_-_-bear

Gunner

May 25, 2002, 10:49:59 PM5/25/02
BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>Gunner wrote:
>
>> BEAR <bear...@netzero.net> wrote:

>> ><snip>

>"just in case"??
>
>In case of going to a spot where bear are known to be fishing for food during salmon
>season? Duh. Guy was BS ing on the deer thing - like how come no deer were bagged?

Hummmm maybe because they had their hands full of dead bear? They dont
keep well, and what are you going to do with that much dead bear AND
deer?

>If they had, the story would have read, we bagged our limit on deer, and on the way back...
>or something like that. Don't you think?
>
>I still say this bunch were yahoos.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

>You might know what you're doing if you go to hunt deer, but they were full of it, inho.

See above.

>> >Winnen appears to have been lying. Read what he said. He claimed to have
>> >bought the bear permit for SAFETY in case he was attacked. He also could have
>> >backed away from the bear after he saw it. Rather than that he stalked
>> >the bear and shot him.
>>
>> You seem to be mixing two stories. I suggest you reread the above
>> link.
>> >
>> >Or, are you suggesting that there were numerous deer hanging close to the place the
>> >bear was? Yeah, that's the ticket! I got some real estate under the Brooklyn Bridge for you,
>> >friend!
>> >
>> Oddly enough.. when deer huntin in bear country, I occasionaly find
>> bear. Why is that? Mutually exclusive range? Snicker...
>
>No, but the deer *snicker* are not likely to be within several hundred yards of a bear
>that they can smell or hear. Or maybe you hunt those tame deer that you feed the rest of
>the year? *snicker, snicker* (<--- silly, eh?)

Humm thats odd...so far you have been either wrong or venting your
opinion. As you dont know me, or how I hunt (bow, handgun and finally
rifle), you are letting your opinions color your posts..about a medium
shade of shit brown from the looks of it.

>> >But wanted for what crime?
>>
>> Only humans can commit crimes. A game animal can be taken.
>
>Poor old bear, just wanted to eat some tasty salmon and be left alone... tsk tsk.

So..you admit you were wrong then? And accusing them of criminal
action was strictly stupidity on your part? Thanks for the
confirmation.

>> >Another prince.
>> >
>> Another realist.
>
>Kill 'em all! Rah rah rah...

Really? Where does anyone say that? Post your cites. Opinions (see
above) dont count.

>How about you go out there with a BOWIE knife and do it the old fashioned way, big guy?
>Then we're talkin... this heavy gauge rifle from a distance isn't much of a challenge.

Hummm ok..how about wild boar with a bowie knife? Been there, done
that. Bow, handgun, boar spear, and of course rifle. Now..Im sure you
would much rather that the various boars had won..but thats evolution,
right? Survival of the fittest and all that. A nature thing.....
One of Gods brown eyed critter was advanced enough to kill and eat
another one. Gee..just like the food chain huh...? How come I dont
hear you pissing and moaning about Mountain lions eating children?

>Or do a bear *mafia style* go walk on up to him with some DONUTS, look him in the
>snoot, and cap the mutha' with a single shot from your .45 between the eyes!

Hard to kill a bear with a frontal head shot. Too much bone and
sloping angle over the sinus cavities. Now..from the side, just in
front of the ear, yup, done that. From about 20 feet. Not a baited
bear or dog run bear either. I snuck up her fair and square. But
then..I was used to hunting far more dangerous game. Game that shot
back.
>Then talk about it.

See above.

>> >Perhaps they should be kicked in the butt a few times for lying about their
>> >intentions? Notice they didn't get to keep the bear for a reason??
>> >
>> Thats odd..what part about having the skull mounted and the hide
>> processed didnt you understand?
>
>I dunno... I guess they let these yahoos have the bear after all.

Thanks for admitting you were, once again, wrong and were letting your
opinions (see above) color your common sense and your truthfulness.

>> >Obviously you like to read selectively. Perhaps you need to re-read the details?
>> >

>> Just because I like you, I went back and reread it just now. Seems
>> your still wrong. Sorry.
>
>Ok, you're right then.

Thanks for pointing that out. Everyone else realized it early on,
but..some folks just need prodding.

>> >BTW, I'll bet I can shoot as well as you can if not better... so this has nothing to
>> >with that sort of issue.
>> >
>> Of course not. Though..how much money are you willing to
>> wager?....Make it interesting for me. Shall we make it a three gun
>> event? Combat handgun, long range rifle and shotgun?
>
>I don't like them shotguns, but I'll bring my talkin stick...

Works for me.

>but anyhow, you go do a bear mafia style and then you can be macho, ok?

See above. And of all the things I may be..macho is not one that I
consider myself to be. Macho is stupidity, and gets one dead rather
early on. Sneaky, devious, intelligent, and other things yes....

>> Gunner
>> PPC, IDPA, IPSC,IMHSA, one time HPRS Master, CBA,
>> NRA, JPFO, CRPA,
>> PAA,
>> and of course PRCA (not a shooting sport)
>>
>> "The practical definition of a bigot is a person who is arguing
>> with a liberal and winning. "
>
> "kiss a bear on the lips today - be a man!" :- )

Sure..soon as I let him hold a 275gr SP from the old 375 H&H. Stupid
Im not, either.

> _-_- heh heh heh

Gunner

"If you are in a fair fight, your tactics are wrong"
MSTG J. Delavan, 5th Special Forces

PLAlbrecht

May 25, 2002, 11:17:48 PM5/25/02
>>They dont keep well, and what are you going to do with that much dead bear
AND
deer?

Don't be silly. Make deer-and-bear meatloaf, of course. Maybe with some salmon
thrown in for local seasoning.

Now if we can convince the Japanese that somewhat gamy bear meat is a rare
delicacy, these guys would have made a good profit on it too. Wonder how much
the gall bladder brought.

>>As you dont know me, or how I hunt (bow, handgun and finally
rifle), you are letting your opinions color your posts..about a medium
shade of shit brown from the looks of it.

Hey, Gunner, what do you want to bet his has bells and traces of pepper spray
in it?

Pete

mike wheeler

May 26, 2002, 12:41:01 AM5/26/02
I don't know, I think we got us another troll on our hands.
I think he is just jealous 'cause somebody tried to make venison salami
out of one of his kin-folk.

Reminds me of (I don't know why) the hunter that sat in the tree so he
would not be shot in mistake of a dear. It worked, too, he was shot...
in mistake of a bear.

In article <3CEFB0D5...@netzero.net>, bear...@netzero.net says...

>Seems to me this thread appeared last year...
>
>I recall emailing the writer...
>
> guess the bear story has legs...

> _-_-bearlabs

mike wheeler

May 26, 2002, 12:49:35 AM5/26/02
Well, now, that makes sense. He doesn't always keep saying BAM!!! for nothing.

mike wheeler

May 26, 2002, 12:56:17 AM5/26/02
>>>Follow on thought:
>>>
>>>My wife

>> Imagine what
>>motorcyclists think of them...

Never seen a deer on a scooter before.

>Never hit a deer on a scooter, came close a couple times. Need a
>crowbar to break the suction between one and the motorcycle seat
>afterwards.

(hose the juggs off??) OH!!! the bike, didn't know what you were talking about
there, just for a moment. I thought maybe you were two-up there or something.

mike wheeler

May 26, 2002, 1:00:15 AM5/26/02
I don't get it. I mean, like, what do they kill?
Are they homing in on your regular food supply?
Besides, you don't got to buy so much cat chow that way.
Oh, you never did? No wonder the damn things are hungry.

In article <c481365.02052...@posting.google.com>, hagen...@att.net
says...

mike wheeler

May 26, 2002, 1:10:53 AM5/26/02
Didn't know there was enough antelope in NewYorkCity to where they really
even needed a game management program.

Down here they uses our fishing license money to buy fish and put in the lakes
so we all can pull them back out again.

Besides, who wants to hunt pigeons, that's almost as boring as shooting carp.

I suppose you could always throw down some popcorn there by the trolley station
and then take a swing at one with a golf club and see how far you could hit
it's head... and then take the rest of it home with you and make soup out of
it... Just a thought.

Tim

May 26, 2002, 1:36:31 AM5/26/02
"mike wheeler" <whe...@tns.net> wrote in message news:xHZH8.10361$Ze.321931@news20...

> I don't know, I think we got us another troll on our hands.
> I think he is just jealous 'cause somebody tried to make venison salami
> out of one of his kin-folk.

Yeah, that's the third troll-ish post I've seen from 'im...

Tim

--
"WOOHOO! Who would've guessed reading and writing would pay off!"
- Homer Simpson

It is loading more messages.