I am the worlds biggest ass...

NoBars

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and threw
it on the road at 30 mph. Was a pretty good deal up until that point, 2 3jaws,
a 4 jaw and a faceplate, machine in good shape for $400.00. The lathe itself
was mostly unhurt, but I now need some parts. Hopefully someone out there has
some parts for a reasonable price. Machine has a manual and these are the part
#s of the stuff trashed.

horizontal type headstock
# 7 pt148n1 quill guard
# 8 pt149n1 bull gear guard
# 9 as362n1 safety guard
# 72 as361nk2 back gears
Tailsstock
#3 pt54nk1 lever
#12 pt1480 handle
#11 as53nk1 handwheel
Horizontal drive unit
#1 pt1945n1 lever
#4 as196on3 pulley
#10 as103nk1 cone, flat belt
#24 pt 243nr1 pivot screws, need 2
#27 ce2323n flat belt
I know I can still get these parts new from southbend still, but I don't have a
lot of money. Broke the piggybank to get the lathe in the first place! I would
think these items are the type that wouldn't ordinarily wear out so someone
might have them on a parts lathe or something. Thanks, Anthony
Anthony-Go No bars on your Dragbike!

DAVID NIEMELA

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
What a bummer. I lost a 5HP refrigeration condensing unit out of the
back of a Ranchero once. The only thing salvagable was the compressor.

It was on a very busy city street -- hot engine in a small car/pickup
thing & small break in traffic. Fortunately, no one got hurt and the
condensing unit didn't hit anything but pavement and a light pole.

That was 5 years ago. To this day, I tie in everything, even 2X4's on a
short trip.

Don't feel too bad dude. Anyone who tells you they have never lost
anything out of the bed of a pickup, truck, or off a trailer is either:
A. Lying thru their teeth
B. Hasn't hauled that much stuff around.
C. Is currently ahead of the odds and will soon fall into the great
karma stew.

Chuck Harris

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
... Sad story about dropped Southbend...

Ya know, You home owners insurance is like a little
puppy dog, it follows you everywhere, and attaches itself
to your personal belongings. Loss thru theft, or loss thru
a momentary brain fart, is still loss. Talk to your
agent. Be sure to mention that it is just a HOBBY lathe.

-----
Chuck Harris - WA3UQV
cfha...@erols.com

Scott A. Moore

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
In article <19981017182345...@ng62.aol.com>, nob...@aol.com says...

>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and threw
>it on the road at 30 mph. Was a pretty good deal up until that point, 2 3jaws,
>a 4 jaw and a faceplate, machine in good shape for $400.00. The lathe itself
>was mostly unhurt, but I now need some parts. Hopefully someone out there has
>some parts for a reasonable price. Machine has a manual and these are the part
>#s of the stuff trashed.

Son, that machine is never going to hold a straight edge again. Save yourself
a lot of grief and get another one. $400 is not that much to lose compared
with the remake that you are contemplating.

[sam]

Rhbuxton

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
>threw
>it on the road at 30 mph.

Oh damn. Anyone with a truck has made the same mistake once. I remember
watching a 4' x 8' sheet of Corian skate out the back of a truck. Worth about
as much as your lathe. I can be of no help, but I really feel sorry for ya.

Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On 17 Oct 1998 22:23:45 GMT, nob...@aol.com (NoBars) wrote:

>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and threw
>it on the road at 30 mph.

Well, I've never been so happy that I use a van... I bought some spare
parts (9" mod. A)from Dave Sobel (in the FAQ) a whole headstock was
$150, less pulley and bull gear. Call him up, get a quote and see if
it's worth it. You may want to find another beater SB and use this one
(or that one) for parts. I am truly sorry for your loss, but at least
you won't do it again.

MichaBG

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I,d have to vote for scrap it and find another.
Just remember if you try to resurect the poor thing Murphy will be right there
to help(Murphy's law). 400.00 hurts now, but it'll only get worse.
My condolances.
Micha
Micha Gaylord
learn'n, and a long way to go.

CMGavitt

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
No bars dragbike = No tie down pickup ??

Actuary81

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Consider yourself lucky that no one was following close behind you!

Loren Titsworth

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Was toting home a $1000.00 Drafting Table one day, Tied down real tight to
the top of my Blazer. Never went over 30 mph... turned into the wind... 200
yards from home... Viola, no more luggage rack, or side view mirrors. Busy
road, 200 lbs bouncing like a ball in my rear view mirror. Everyone avoided
it and I didn't get a ticket 'cause the cop could see how many parts were
table and how many were truck.
S**T Happens.

NoBars wrote in message <19981017182345...@ng62.aol.com>...

>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
threw

IBCNU888

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98

>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
>threw
>it on the road at 30 mph. Was a pretty good deal up until that point

Is this what they call TOUGH LOVE?
Cut your loss and run-- It could have been worse.

JR North

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
About 7 years ago, as friends and I were heading out on a Saturday roadtrip, we watched as an old p/u with a an ancient grand piano in the bed turn the corner in front of us. "Check out the cool piano!" we were exclaiming. As the truck rounded the corner, the piano tipped and vaulted over the side, pivoting cleanly on it's center of gravity. When it hit, all hell broke loose. That piano exploded into hundreds of pieces as if a grenade had gone off inside it. What a waste......
JR

Rhbuxton wrote:

>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
>threw
>it on the road at 30 mph.

Oh damn.  Anyone with a truck has made the same mistake once.  I remember

BeeCrofter

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I watched as a large truck passed a pickup truck delivering a finished cabinet
to a jobsite.
Somehow the draft lifted the center cabinet in a load of three straight up and
then out of the truck.
It held together pretty good for tumbling down I95 all in all but was a total
loss just the same.

Misty & Sean Foley

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
That really is heartbreaking.
Unfortunately, after a shock like that the lathe bed is probably a little
twisted. Maybe enough good stuff survived for you to find another S.B. with
a straight bed and reconstruct on that.
It made me cringe to hear your story...There but for the grace of God go I.
....Tinker

Chuck Harris

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Jon Elson wrote:
> I don't know what possessed that woman to do that, but it
> sure gave me a scare. It would have been dangerous to
> make a turn like that in front of a car, but a truck is much
> worse.

Whenever I bring my ugly old F600 box truck out on the road, there
is one thing that I can always count on. EVERY AS*HOLE on the road
will come diving for my front bumper! If someone can possibly
attempt a left turn across my bow, they will. If someone can
pass me on the right, or left and cut me off, they will. It
is amazing the stupid things that people will do to trucks. They
must think we have magic brakes, or something.

Martin H. Eastburn

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
I think if CHPs (Calif. Highway Patrol) spoted them they would get
nabbed - or I'd hope so.

Sorry to hear about the loss. Driving the highway to/from work I
see flosum like the beach, but often 'richer'. Most has been
run over though.

Martin
--
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Engineman1

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

In article <19981018152648...@ng-ft1.aol.com>, ibcn...@aol.com

>>Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
>>threw
>>it on the road at 30 mph. Was a pretty good deal up until that point

I bought a portable cement mixer with a 1 HP motor and was towing it home on
it's wheels when I hit a bump on the highway. I saw the motror go flying off
and was rolling end over end on the road. I stopped and turned around as soon
as possible but someone had already snatched it up.
A friend of mine had even worse luck losing a Wisconsin V4 engine in a
similar situation.
Have any of you guys had the double bad luck of having something fall off on
the road and then someone stealing it?
Engineman1

JrCRUZ 69

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
> Have any of you guys had the double bad luck of having something fall off on
>the road and then someone stealing it?
Mine was worse than that, I was fishing in Florida, I'm from Georgia, my
Atlanta Falcon Hat flew off my head, the guy in the boat behind me ran over it,
on purpose!!! But payback is (you know what)

william thomas powers

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98

Well if y'uh haven't dropped something yet; you are just that
much closer to when you do!

Funniest I ever did was when I was taking my cristmas tree to the
drop off point and noticed that the neighbors hadn't seen the TV,
read the paper or heard the radio saying that the city wasn't doing
curbside pick-up, you had to take the trees to a drop-off point.

So I loaded up 5 or six trees in my little pick-up and headed off to
park---just a mile away, city streets who needs to tie everything down.
I hit a bump doing 35 mph and looked back to see that I was dropping
trees in a nice regular pattern...

If anything vans can be scarier; because the loose stuff is in the
same space as YOU! I once moved a 50# little giant powerhammer
in my old ex phone company van on the back roads in the Ozarks.

While trucking downhill on a gravel road at a pretty good clip a
farmer pulls out in front of me in his granny gears--I jam on the
brakes and am trying to ride the skid with out hitting the farmer's
pickup, ending up in a ditch or rolling the van. I just had got it
under controll and gotten some grab on my brakes when the triphammer
rolls on its flywheel and gently "nudges" my seat up against the
steering wheel....truely a "pucker" moment---I prefer to do my
metalworking with tools and not to have my tools do metalworking
with me!

Now I *always* travel with about 100' of good rope stashed in
my pickup and put carabiners on those little tie down loops so
that it is easy To run some rope through them.

Thomas
Columbus, Oh

RX7drivr

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
<Snip>

>I stopped and turned around as soon
>as possible but someone had already snatched it up.
> A friend of mine had even worse luck losing a Wisconsin V4 engine in a
>similar situation.

>Have any of you guys had the double bad luck of having something fall off on

>the road and then someone stealing it?

I once visited a guy who built racing motors... he told me about a guy who had
just picked up an $8000 V-8 and dropped it on the way home... Sure enough, by
the time he got turned around... Poof! No motor.

I once lost a load of LP siding off a delivery truck in the middle of a busy
intersection. Seems the forklift driver thought I had tied it down, and I
thought...
Now I _always_ without fail tie my own loads myself, and walk completely around
the truck to confirm before I set sail.
James

Jon Elson

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
to william thomas powers

william thomas powers wrote:

> If anything vans can be scarier; because the loose stuff is in the
> same space as YOU! I once moved a 50# little giant powerhammer
> in my old ex phone company van on the back roads in the Ozarks.
>
> While trucking downhill on a gravel road at a pretty good clip a
> farmer pulls out in front of me in his granny gears--I jam on the
> brakes and am trying to ride the skid with out hitting the farmer's
> pickup, ending up in a ditch or rolling the van. I just had got it
> under controll and gotten some grab on my brakes when the triphammer
> rolls on its flywheel and gently "nudges" my seat up against the
> steering wheel....truely a "pucker" moment---I prefer to do my
> metalworking with tools and not to have my tools do metalworking
> with me!

I was moving from my old, small house to a bigger one (with a really
big basement) about 5 miles away. I rented a 12' box truck with a
lift gate - truly the way to move large equipment. I had most of the
home appliances, as well as a 10" Atlas lathe and a very old Bridgeport
mill in tthe truck. No rope I owned would have any effect on the
Bridgeport, but I tied a 1/2" Nylon rope to it just to keep it from
moving around due to vibration. Everything else was tied as well
as I could. The Bridgeport was right over the rear axle, with the
lathe in front, then the laundry equipment in front of that.

Well, a few blocks from the new house, just before turning off the
4 lane major street, some lady turns left RIGHT in front of my
12' truck, barelling along at 40 MPH! I quickly ran the equations,
and decided that slamming on the brakes might cause all that
iron to come right through the back of the truck cab! If I didn't
hit the brakes at all, I'd hit her for sure. So, I used the absolute
minimum braking possible, and missed her rear bumper by
inches - 6" at the most. I did get the pleasure of seeing her
eyes as big as alarm clocks, as she looked over her shoulder
at the onrushing truck. Yeah, she must have expected me to
slam on the brakes for her!

Unfortunately, the mill tipped and slid, pushing the lathe into
the laundry machines. The lathe got one handle broken off,
and really nothing else damaged. The clothes dryer got a
dent or two, but the washing machine was squashed to
half its depth. The front was caved in so far that the basket
couldn't move at all on its suspension, so that it would tend
to tip over if an imbalanced load was spinning. I took it out
in the driveway and beat the housing back into shape from the
inside, with a sledge hammer. It looks like hell, but it is still
working 10 years later!

I don't know what possessed that woman to do that, but it
sure gave me a scare. It would have been dangerous to
make a turn like that in front of a car, but a truck is much
worse.

Jon

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
the renowned Actuary81 <actu...@aol.com> wrote:
> Consider yourself lucky that no one was following close behind you!

Yah, I expect he probably knew it was a little iffy and was watching the
rear view mirror and taking the back roads.

I have seen way too many ladders etc. dropped on 8-lane freeways where
cars go 70-80mph (and usually the yellow contractor's style). If someone
gets killed as a result, I think a charge of manslaughter for the person
that didn't tie it down properly should be considered.

Spehro Pefhany "The Journey is the reward"
sp...@interlog.com
Fax:(905) 332-4270 (small micro system devt hw/sw + mfg)

DoN. Nichols

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
In article <01bdfbd3$29f909e0$e59683d1@default>, Ken <rig...@neto.com> wrote:
>Lost a load of plywood and 2X4s once. Some knucklehead pulled out in front
>of me and I hit the brakes. I hear a "snap" and while wondering what it
>was, I see this nicely banded collection of material take flight over and
>past my truck. I was so wrapped up in trying to stop the truck, it took a

Is it too much to hope that some of the lumber hit the idiot?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
NOTE: spamblocking on against servers which harbor spammers.
Email: <dnic...@d-and-d.com> | Donald Nichols (DoN.)|Voice (703) 938-4564

scott

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
we all have had mishaps

cut your losses and be thankful for no accidents
i lost a bail of fiberglass insulation out the back of my truck when the
strap came loose....my fault. there it sat in the road sitting still. it
did not hit anyone. a car stopped in the lane the bail was in. she was
rear ended and when it was all said and done five cars were piled up on top
of each other. the thought ran through my mind keep driving and buy another
$20 bail at the end of the day. but knowing how contractors are badmouthed
i decided to stop. now i have lost my mind paying for the crap the gold
diggers are asking for. i had insurance, but they have a limit. i know
this doesn't help your loss, but it does feel good to give advise after
having your butt reamed. thank for the opportunity. someday you can advise
others:)

scott

NoBars wrote in message <19981017182345...@ng62.aol.com>...

Bought a 9" southbend today, put it in the truck, didn't tie it down and
threw

it on the road at 30 mph. Was a pretty good deal up until that point, 2
3jaws,
a 4 jaw and a faceplate, machine in good shape for $400.00. The lathe itself
was mostly unhurt, but I now need some parts. Hopefully someone out there
has
some parts for a reasonable price. Machine has a manual and these are the
part
#s of the stuff trashed.

horizontal type headstock

Ken

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Lost a load of plywood and 2X4s once. Some knucklehead pulled out in front
of me and I hit the brakes. I hear a "snap" and while wondering what it
was, I see this nicely banded collection of material take flight over and
past my truck. I was so wrapped up in trying to stop the truck, it took a
few seconds for me to realize that it was my lumber sailing past me. When I
finally figured it out, I was watching the load as it was going down the
road passing traffic( still banded) . About the time I thought "gee I hope
the banding holds," it broke and lumber exploded everywhere. Oh yeah, that
"snap," was the two nylon cargo straps I had holding things down. Now
whenever I tote a load, I drive like grandma and stop and check things
frequently. It beats dodging traffic to pick up whatever of yours you've
lost that's worth picking up.

Ken

catru...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <70ght6$707$4...@news.interlog.com>,

Spehro Pefhany <sp...@interlog.com> wrote:
> the renowned Actuary81 <actu...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Consider yourself lucky that no one was following close behind you!
>
> Yah, I expect he probably knew it was a little iffy and was watching the
> rear view mirror and taking the back roads.
>
> I have seen way too many ladders etc. dropped on 8-lane freeways where
> cars go 70-80mph (and usually the yellow contractor's style). If someone
> gets killed as a result, I think a charge of manslaughter for the person
> that didn't tie it down properly should be considered.

I am afraid I will have to agree with Spehro. If you lose something out of
pick-up or trailer you made the mistake. $400 is cheap when you consider the
consequences. Was talking to a truck driver who lost his entire diesel rig
when a contractor's wheelbarrow landed in front of him, penerated his fuel
tank and caused enough sparks to ignite the fuel trail.

Yes I have lost a couple of items myself and all to pure stupity. My
insurance carrier hasn't had to pay yet and I am really working to make sure
they never hear from anyone following me. I reccommend that you forgo rope
and switch to ratcheting straps and chains and binders. They are more
reliable and much stronger. Remember you have to worry just as much about
your load joining you in the front seat as you do about losing it onto the
road. Saw a truck load of pipe about six months ago. The driver had
apparently grenaded the brakes causing the whole load to shift forward about
six feet. I don't know wheher he lived but there was a very small place for
him to be after the pipe crushed the cab. Look real carefully at every load
and then tie it twice more. The life and equipment you save may be your own
and if it isn't how would you feel if you smashed the pretty face of a the
teenager following a little too close behind you.

mull...@advinc.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362BBA16...@artsci.wustl.edu>,
Jon Elson <jme...@artsci.wustl.edu> wrote:

> I don't know what possessed that woman to do that, but it
> sure gave me a scare. It would have been dangerous to
> make a turn like that in front of a car, but a truck is much
> worse.
>
> Jon

As a motorbike rider I can say that this happens a lot more than
you might think - folks look right at you and turn left anyway.
The truck is the preferred vehicle to be in, BTW. I think the
look-and-go anyway is somehow related to size difference. The vehicle
that is grossly larger or smaller than the one she is driving simply
does not register on the neuron map in her head.

This may also be why so many drivers pull across RR grade crossings
right in front of the train.

As for me, I'm gonna go play with all the cool stuff I find on
the roadway - ladders, motors, engines, drafting tables, compressor
units.

Well I suppose I should fess up as well. The only things I've
ever jetisoned were off of bikes. One was a swell power transformer
that somebody was throwing out - I stopped and bungeed it on the
back of the seat, but when I got home it was *gone* and no trace.
I thought briefly about running an ad in the local papers, but
then thought better of it.

The other was a toolbag that got spat off the back in a tank-slapper
episode, and even though I went back for it right away, it had been
run over by about 500 cars. The only salvageable item in it was
the vise grips - really tough tools. Somebody probably got a
vise-grip shaped hole in their gas tank that day....

Jim

johnh...@compuserve.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <70h77s$f6k$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
catru...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

Look real carefully at every load
> and then tie it twice more. The life and equipment you save may be your own
> and if it isn't how would you feel if you smashed the pretty face of a the
> teenager following a little too close behind you.

Something else us amateur artisans should think about is loading
trailers..It's very easy to put a lot of weight (ie: lathe, mill) on a
utility trailer and if you don't understand trailer stability you can get
seriously burned. My boss once borrowed my car hauler to pick up some lumber
from a sawmilll. He never confessed how much, but I'll bet it was a couple
of tons, probably mostly over the axles. He said he got up to 35 mph when
the trailer took his full sized Chev and whipped it from one side of the road
to the other and back again. He was still shaking a week later. Stopped him
from borrowing stuff though. Fortunately there was no collision or damage,
but don't count on that. M. Smith has a couple of excellent books on
trailers that explain stability very well. J>

James L. Rice

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Just be glad it went over the side and not up front in the cab with
you. I let a helper tie down a Rigid threader in the pickup bed and I
didn't check it. An idiot pulled out in front of me, I slammed on the
brakes and the next thing I knew, there was several hundred pounds on
metal protruding through the cab window. Missed my head by fractions of
an inch. It seems he wasn't a boy scout and never knew how to tie a
really good knot. I never haul anything without securing it my self and
wearing my hard hat in the truck.

James

Glenn Lyford

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
>Whenever I bring my ugly old F600 box truck out on the road, there
>is one thing that I can always count on. EVERY AS*HOLE on the road
>will come diving for my front bumper! If someone can possibly
>attempt a left turn across my bow, they will. If someone can
>pass me on the right, or left and cut me off, they will. It
>is amazing the stupid things that people will do to trucks. They
>must think we have magic brakes, or something.

After several years of driving buses, I have come to the conclusion
that the rationalization process is "It's big, it's GOTTA be slow,"
no matter how fast anyone is actually going. I'm all too familiar with
filling out reports and drawing diagrams...
--Glenn

eww...@swbell.net

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Greetings,

I was driving on the fwy. ,at about 60mph, in my pickup.
I came to some pavement repair spots and started to slow down.

I hit some patches in the road and my truck bounced around a little.
I thought nothing about it but happened to glance in my mirror...

My spare tire had come loose and was bouncing along behind me at
about 50mph!! I could hear the metal support dragging and see
the sparks flying!! The tire would go 10ft. in the air!!
The cars behind me, slowed and formed a line to stay out of
the way.

I was in traffic and could just picture the tire bouncing across
the devider and going into a car windshield!!

LO and BEHOLD, the tire bounced into a straight line and started
following me down the road. I started slowing down to catch it with
the back of my truck. It coasted to a stop, leaning against the
devider, and didn't hit a thing.....

I LEARNED MY LESSON!! Guys! Check your truck spares once in a while.
Mine had worked loose and the bump could have caused a fatal
accident..

Eddy Wells
Conroe, Texas

Scott A. Moore

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362BBA16...@artsci.wustl.edu>, jme...@artsci.wustl.edu says...

>Well, a few blocks from the new house, just before turning off the
>4 lane major street, some lady turns left RIGHT in front of my
>12' truck, barelling along at 40 MPH! I quickly ran the equations,
>and decided that slamming on the brakes might cause all that
>iron to come right through the back of the truck cab! If I didn't
>hit the brakes at all, I'd hit her for sure. So, I used the absolute

Humm, rental truck, calculate the deceleration due to hitting the
other car....... I'd have gone with that ! Much more satisfying
as well.

[sam]

PS. So far, I have only been dead slow on surface streets with
these kinds of loads, and that is why.

frank booth

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

Let me guess, you were driving a Chebby.

Carl Byrns

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Chuck Harris wrote:

> Jon Elson wrote:

> > I don't know what possessed that woman to do that, but it
> > sure gave me a scare. It would have been dangerous to
> > make a turn like that in front of a car, but a truck is much
> > worse.
>
> Whenever I bring my ugly old F600 box truck out on the road, there
> is one thing that I can always count on. EVERY AS*HOLE on the road
> will come diving for my front bumper! If someone can possibly
> attempt a left turn across my bow, they will. If someone can
> pass me on the right, or left and cut me off, they will. It
> is amazing the stupid things that people will do to trucks. They
> must think we have magic brakes, or something.
>
> -----
> Chuck Harris - WA3UQV
> cfha...@erols.com

Been there! We have vans at work fitted with liquid oxygen tanks. The
trucks have placards front and rear and on each side, plus the company
name which has OXYGEN in it.
It's like a magnet to every tailgating bozo on the road. We have to stop
at railroad crossings ( Fed Law) and the rear bumper has "This vehicle
stops at railroad crossings" printed on it in nice, big letters. We put
our flashers on 150 feet from the RR track, and start to slow down, only
to here brakes slam on behind us. The idiots who almost hit us then pass
on the left and give our drivers the finger! Some times they'll cut back
in front of us and stop quick, just to prove how aggravating _we_ are.
On the plus side, this gives our drivers a good chance to copy down the
idiot's license plate number, and we do have cell phones...

Carl Byrns

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
OK, this really happened:
A long time ago, I was a student tractor- trailer driver. My instructor
and I were in the city, me driving a single axle tractor pulling a 40
foot van. The instructor asks me "How many cars are following you?" and
I replied "One". He says "How do you know? I don't see any". I answered
"Because I can see the shadow of a car behind the trailer". That means
the following car is _right_ on my rear bumper.
He compliments me on my driving skill as we approach a underpass which
is on a curve. In the shadow of the underpass, in the middle of the
lane, is a V8 engine block. About 400 pounds of iron, festooned with
various brackets, just sitting there. Now I have two problems: spike the
brakes, get hit in the rear and automatically lose my learner's permit,
or try to avoid hitting the engine block. Hitting the block is
completely out of the question, as the head instructor is a former
Marine Drill Instructor and on our first day told us not to even THINK
about dinging one of his trucks, using language and gestures as only a
former Marine Drill Instructor can.
I tap the brakes lightly, to let the tailgating idiot know I'm slowing
down, and center the tractor over the block, telling my instructor " I'm
gonna straddle it!" He opens his door and starts trying to look under
the truck. He starts yelling " It missed the axle, turn a little left,
no, right, left, yeah, Ok, hold it right there!" I'm wincing, waiting
for a bracket to reach out and tear out an air line, or rip a tire, or
bang into a brake servo.
I'm yelling " Did we hit it?, Did we hit it?" when the instructor swings
back up in the seat, smiles, and says " No, but the guy behind us sure
did!"
I look in the mirror, and sure enough, the guy behind now has a new
Caddillac with a vee- shaped front bumper and a major coolant leak. And
a new perspective on tailgating.
I ask " Do we have to stop?" " Nope- didn't come of our truck, did it? "
So off we went- laughing.

eww...@swbell.net

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
frank booth wrote:

No ,it was a Loews Loice, that I made into a PU.<g>

> Let me guess, you were driving a Chebby.

Eddy Wells

PLAlbrecht

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Did you at least catch the tire on the fly? (Or, on the rebound as it were...)
Extra points if you caught it in the pickup bed and just kept driving as if
that were normal...

Pete

Erich Coiner

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Carl Byrns wrote:
In the shadow of the underpass, in the middle of the
> lane, is a V8 engine block. About 400 pounds of iron, festooned with
> various brackets, just sitting there. Now I have two problems: spike the
>
> gonna straddle it!" He opens his door and starts trying to look under
> the truck. He starts yelling " It missed the axle, turn a little left,
> no, right, left, yeah, Ok, hold it right there!" I'm wincing, waiting
> for a bracket to reach out and tear out an air line, or rip a tire, or
> bang into a brake servo.
> I'm yelling " Did we hit it?, Did we hit it?" when the instructor swings
> back up in the seat, smiles, and says " No, but the guy behind us sure
> did!"
> I look in the mirror, and sure enough, the guy behind now has a new
> Caddillac with a vee- shaped front bumper and a major coolant leak. And
> a new perspective on tailgating.
> I ask " Do we have to stop?" " Nope- didn't come of our truck, did it? "
> So off we went- laughing

Great story Carl,

Long ago I was driving along minding my own business, when the car in
front of me drove over a garden rake. This was not a leaf rake but the
kind with rigid tines 4 or 5 inches long.
The cars left front tire blew out instantly and the rake was catupulted
into the air, turning slowly (too me anyway, time sure slowed down)end
over end. I nailed the throttle and closed up on the car that hit the
rake and the rake landed harmlessly behind me. The guy behind me was not
so lucky.
The car with the blowout continued on as if nothing had happened.
Go figure.

Erich

DoN. Nichols

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362CD1...@swbell.net>, <eww...@swbell.net> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I was driving on the fwy. ,at about 60mph, in my pickup.
>I came to some pavement repair spots and started to slow down.
>
>I hit some patches in the road and my truck bounced around a little.
>I thought nothing about it but happened to glance in my mirror...
>
>My spare tire had come loose and was bouncing along behind me at
>about 50mph!! I could hear the metal support dragging and see

[ ... ]

>I LEARNED MY LESSON!! Guys! Check your truck spares once in a while.
>Mine had worked loose and the bump could have caused a fatal
>accident..

Is there a remote chance that someone was trying to steal it, and
hadn't been able to complete the removal before you came out?

Good Luck,

kenneth knaell

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
I was reading these "I am the worlds biggest LUCKY ass" and I thought I
smelled something burning and finally went walking around the house looking
for a fire. I saw an egg I had put on the stove in a little saucepan to
hardboil it. The water was gone and it was kind of smoking. I turned off
the gas and picked up the sauce pan and the egg blew up in my face, like
BANG. I had no glasses on and the thing sprayed right in my face but it
must not have been too hot on the side that hit me since it did not burn me
or bother my eyes. About 1/4 the egg disappeared. ... Oh well back to
reading the group
uh ... metal working? the saucepan is metal.
ken knaell

Martin H. Eastburn

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
I used to drive to work along the eastern side of DFW airport in
Dallas - one day - raining naturally - I saw a lawnmower pop of
a trailer and come skating at me - doing about 60. (Speed then was
70 as I recall - (oops - thats a small road - don't tell)
Anyway it was headed for me - directly at me - so I swerved right
onto the soft shoulder when it clipped my left bumper wrap-around type -
and shattered - sending a nice chunck into my tire. What a recovery.
I kept it off the road and out of the "bar" ditch. The 'Yard truck'
was flagged down by a nice guy who was trying to turn on as I went
by. Odd enough, I got help changing the tire - after my shoes
and dress pants were muddy.
Best of all was the traffic report - Auto hit by lawnmower that was
going about 60. My agent almost fell over.

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
the renowned scott <d...@ipa.net> wrote:
> we all have had mishaps

> cut your losses and be thankful for no accidents

> i lost a bail.. insulation....my fault.

> i decided to stop. now i have lost my mind paying for the crap the gold
> diggers are asking for. i had insurance, but they have a limit.

Assuming the accident didn't actually permanently maim anyone for life...
these creeps should be punished for malice and greed aforethought.

Somebody being sloppy while doing a job is one thing, trying to get
rich off of people who actually do things is basically legalized looting,
and it hurts more because it doesn't all happen instantaneously, but
over years. Maybe this sounds inconsistent with what I said before, but I
don't think so.

I know at least one fellow (in California) with 40+ years in his company
that decided to retire (close the doors) when a lawsuit was filed. The
b*stards didn't even give him a chance to fix the problem with his
product and it was going to cost the poor old guy a good part of a mil and
five years (maybe the rest of his life) to fight it.

<editoral mode++>
Though it is hard to imagine anything good coming out of the current
Clinton/Lewinsky thing maybe it will focus some attention on the abuses
that currently take place in civil and family law. Probably not, though.

<sigh>

CroweLance

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
This one I can blame on the boss......
We had just towed his 69 GTO home on a trailer and unloaded, then started back
to the shop. A flat bed trailer is hard to see in the rear view mirror, until
you notice it rolling down the road on its own! Thank God we had already
unloaded that 2 ton vehicle! We stopped and watched helplessly as it veered off
the road, across some grass and into a chain link fence which worked great at
stopping it, but the fence didn't look so good.
Well, my boss was a real jerk, his main concern was getting out of there
fast. He had not tightened the nut holding the ball jack, so it had
disappeared, leaving the ball sitting there. Here's the really f***ed up
part...to get the trailer back to the shop, my job was to stand on the trailer
tongue so as to hold it and the ball down, while I held on to the tailgate of
the truck, as we drove thru pouring rain the rest of the way back to the shop.
No one was hurt, only damage was one chain link fence, but it was the
stupidest thing I ever had to do! I should have walked home!

DoN. Nichols

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <362D4B94...@pacbell.net>,
Martin H. Eastburn <old...@pacbell.net> wrote:

[ ... ]

>Best of all was the traffic report - Auto hit by lawnmower that was
>going about 60. My agent almost fell over.

Reminds me of three different accidents which I witnessed in the
process of happening, or in the aftermath stage at work (back before
retirement).

1) Car habitually parks too close to curve. One day a tank is coming
along, in the hands of someone not sufficiently skilled at the
driving thereof. Tank runs over engine compartment. Engine
compartment is now 8" tall.

Problem? This wasn't one of *our* tanks, and we officially didn't
have it. It was classified at that time.

"Hello -- insurance agent? My car has been hit."

"What are the details?"

"I can't tell you. It's classified."

"Oh -- then we'll send out a photographer to record the damage."

"No -- you can't!" (The tread pattern in the hood was too
distinctive. :-)

The government wound up paying for that one.

2) "Hello -- insurance agent? My car has been hit by a bridge."

"How fast were you going when you hit the bridge?"

"The car was parked, and I was in my office. The bridge hit it!"

(It was a prototype mobile assault bridge.)

They fixed this problem (they've always *got* to take some action to
fix it) by painting that parking space into a no-parking space. :-)

3) Sitting in my room, which by luck for a while had an actual window
on the outside world. Street passes between the window and the
parking lot in which the bridge hit the car.

*Big* forklift goes past, with a more reasonable sized one crosswise
in its arms. 18-wheeler goes the other way. Forks of smaller
forklift slice open a tire on the 18-wheeler. This one I actually
saw happening. Slow and graceful, but inevitible. :-)

Fun collection of items. :-)

Enjoy,

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
the renowned Martin H. Eastburn <old...@pacbell.net> wrote:
<snip>

> by. Odd enough, I got help changing the tire - after my shoes
> and dress pants were muddy.

My pants would have been muddy too, but from the inside.

Ted Edwards

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
I can't remember who it was but some very famous American once said,
"What this country needs is to hang all the lawyers."

It's even more true today. I claim that a partial solution would be to
make it unconstitutional for a lawyer to hold political office or be a
judge. Judges might then be more concerned with justice than law.

Ted

Scott A. Moore

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <362D4B94...@pacbell.net>, old...@pacbell.net says...

>Best of all was the traffic report - Auto hit by lawnmower that was
>going about 60. My agent almost fell over.

That's nothing. I wonder if the insurance company statistics show
that more collisions involving a boat happen on dry land than
water.....

[sam]

Hoyt McKagen

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
kenneth knaell wrote:

> I was reading these "I am the worlds biggest LUCKY ass" and I thought I
> smelled something burning and finally went walking around the house looking
> for a fire. I saw an egg I had put on the stove in a little saucepan to
> hardboil it. The water was gone and it was kind of smoking. I turned off
> the gas and picked up the sauce pan and the egg blew up in my face, like
> BANG. I had no glasses on and the thing sprayed right in my face but it
> must not have been too hot on the side that hit me since it did not burn me
> or bother my eyes. About 1/4 the egg disappeared.

If you want a real thrill, cook your eggs in a microwave!!

Hoyt
--

Belfab CNC: http://www.freeyellow.com/members/belfab/belfab.html
Best MC Repair- http://www.freeyellow.com/members/batwings/best.html

Fitch R. Williams

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
johnh...@compuserve.com wrote:

>M. Smith has a couple of excellent books on
>trailers that explain stability very well.

Do you have a bit more of a reference? I haul a lot of stuff and have never
read anything on trailer stability. I have some "rules" I follow passed on by
my dad and others, but don't understand the reasons behind them.

Thanks
Fitch
In So. Cal.

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for rec.crafts.metalworking
is at http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal.

The companion web page for rec.crafts.metalworking is the
Metal Web News at http://www.mindspring.com/~wgray1/

The "Drop Box" for metalworking related pictures and binary files
is at http://www.metalworking.com/

Janos ERO

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

> the renowned Actuary81 <actu...@aol.com> wrote:
> > Consider yourself lucky that no one was following close behind you!
>
> Yah, I expect he probably knew it was a little iffy and was watching the
> rear view mirror and taking the back roads.
>
> I have seen way too many ladders etc. dropped on 8-lane freeways where
> cars go 70-80mph (and usually the yellow contractor's style). If someone
> gets killed as a result, I think a charge of manslaughter for the person
> that didn't tie it down properly should be considered.

Last summer at Zürich/Switzerland there were 3 fridges on the motorway, one in
the middle of each lane. We could avoid one in the last second. The truck was
standing in the stop lane, the guy wondering how he will rescue the boxes in the
early morning traffic.

I suppose he payed much higher fine, than the $400 value of the lathe. And the
Swiss police is omnipresent...

Janos Ero

Mike Graham

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 02:08:17 GMT, frwi...@ptw.com (Fitch R. Williams)
wrote:

>Do you have a bit more of a reference? I haul a lot of stuff and have never
>read anything on trailer stability. I have some "rules" I follow passed on by
>my dad and others, but don't understand the reasons behind them.

This brings me to something that I was just thinking last night.

Trailers seem to invariably be of the same general design; a box or
flat platform with on axle set clustered about 2/3 to 3/4 back. This
means that the towing vehicle has to worry about stability ('tail
wagging the dog syndrome').
Farm wagons have two sets of wheels; one at the back and one at the
front. This way the tongue weight is virtually zero, and the wagon
can't wag.
Why hasn't anyone come up with a high speed version of the farm
wagon for highways? Is there some issue with them that I'm unfamiliar
with? Especially with a short-wheelbase truck like mine (90"), it
would seem to be a much safer alternative.

Mike Graham <mike at off-road.com>
Caledon, Ontario Canada

Mangler of metal. User of many grinding discs.
Cut with an axe, beat to fit, paint to match.

James Wilkins

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Mike Graham wrote:

> Farm wagons have two sets of wheels; one at the back and one at the
> front. This way the tongue weight is virtually zero, and the wagon
> can't wag.
> Why hasn't anyone come up with a high speed version of the farm
> wagon for highways? Is there some issue with them that I'm unfamiliar
> with? Especially with a short-wheelbase truck like mine (90"), it
> would seem to be a much safer alternative.
>
> Mike Graham

Do you ever have to back up the farm wagon?
jw

Bob Edwards

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98

On the west coast you routinely see log trucks and farm produce hopper
trucks being towed in twos (and sometimes threes, for the hoppers) and
they have front and rear wheels and are connected to the towing truck by
a towbar. It never occured to me to ask what happens when they back up,
but evidently, it's either not a problem or they just don't do it. I've
been stuck behind enough of these on Route 1 and 101 to have studied
them intently!

Regards,

Bob

Ted Edwards

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Catru...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> they never hear from anyone following me. I reccommend that you forgo rope
> and switch to ratcheting straps and chains and binders. They are more
> reliable and much stronger.

I'm not a trucker but I have moved a fair amount of stuff on a serious
car top rack (made it myself) and/or trailers. I have had ratcheting
straps fail. I agree that for many loads chains and load binders are
very good. So is rope IF you use good quality rope (not the poly crap
they sell in the hardware stores) and proper knots properly tied. For
tying down serious loads with rope, I use 1/2" double braided dacron
yacht rope. Yes, it's expensive but it's strong, non-strechy and takes
and holds knots well. If you're not good with knots and want to be,
invest in a copy of Askley's Book of Knots.

Ted

Wayne Cook

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:53:05 -0400, James Wilkins <je...@mitre.org>
wrote:

>Mike Graham wrote:

>> Farm wagons have two sets of wheels; one at the back and one at the
>> front. This way the tongue weight is virtually zero, and the wagon
>> can't wag.
>> Why hasn't anyone come up with a high speed version of the farm
>> wagon for highways? Is there some issue with them that I'm unfamiliar
>> with? Especially with a short-wheelbase truck like mine (90"), it
>> would seem to be a much safer alternative.

There's lot of reason's you don't want a trailer like this. They are
a pain in several way's including backing, and high speed stability
(some can actually be towed a decent speed but others looking
identical will start to whip at 30 mph).

>Do you ever have to back up the farm wagon?
>jw

Not many people can do it but some can (I can but it's slow and
tedious). A favorite trick of cotton farmers is to put a hitch on the
front of the truck to use when backing cotton trailers. It helps a
lot.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

Wayne Cook

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
On 23 Oct 1998 00:07:06 GMT, vwgo...@aol.com (Vwgoodies) wrote:

>There are many "farm wagon" style trailers in Europe , saw many on Holland
>-Belgium. They are used for hauling cars etc, have also seen them set-up for
>market stalls , lots of outdoor markets there.
>they are going down the freeway at 60 MPH+ with no problem
>
>I have been thinking of building one but have not figured out the front
>axle.......any ideas ?

There's two style front axles on cotton trailers. The simplest,
cheapest, most common, and not as good is the tongue is just connected
to the front axle which is solid and turns the whole axle on a pivot
connected to the rest of the trailer. The best style uses a axle like
you find on the front of a car where the wheels pivot on yokes and
there's two tie rods connected from the wheels to the tongue which is
connected to the axle so that it can swivel back and forth.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

Wayne Cook

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
On 23 Oct 1998 02:56:11 GMT, vwgo...@aol.com (Vwgoodies) wrote:

>I am sure they backed them up , never noticed the technique.......

For most people it's backup 2' cuss, pull forward 10', backup 2'
cuss, pull forward 10', etc. :-)

I know a lot of people for whom the only way to back a 4 wheel
trailer is to unhook it and then push it back by hand. I'm not
talking about just those people who can't back a trailer to save there
life I'm talking about people who have been backing trailers all there
life. My dad been backing trailers for probably 40 years and can't
even start to back a cotton trailer. I can mange but only by taking it
slow and keeping track of two sets of axles. If you can imagine
backing a trailer with another trailer in between your vehicle and it
then you've got the right idea (it's just like backing two trailers at
once and the first trailer is a very short one that'll jack knife on
you in a heart beat). If you want to try it just go and borrow a
pickup bed trailer and hook another trailer on behind it. Now try and
back them. You'll get the idea soon enough even though this is easy
compared to most 4 wheel trailers.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

Bob Bachman

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
Chris,

"Farm Wagons" which use a kingpin front end (Similar to a truck front axle)
are very unstable at speeds much above 20 mph. I'll bet the trailers you
saw in Europe are the type with a straight front axle like a kid's coaster
wagon. These are the same as used in this country in the all of the over-
the-road rigs.

Keep in mind the weight put on the rear of your tow vehicle by a single or
tandom axle trailer in essential in the stability of the trailer/tow
vehicle combination.

Bob

In article <19981022200706...@ng06.aol.com>, vwgo...@aol.com
says...

>There are many "farm wagon" style trailers in Europe , saw many on Holland
>-Belgium. They are used for hauling cars etc, have also seen them set-up for
>market stalls , lots of outdoor markets there.
>they are going down the freeway at 60 MPH+ with no problem
>
>I have been thinking of building one but have not figured out the front
>axle.......any ideas ?
>

>Chris

Vwgoodies

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

KD6JDJ

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Chris
Did they "back them up" ?

>There are many "farm wagon" style trailers in Europe , saw many on Holland
>-Belgium. They are used for hauling cars etc, have also seen them set-up
>for
>market stalls , lots of outdoor markets there.
>they are going down the freeway

Jerry

Vwgoodies

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98

Mike Graham

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:08:20 GMT, way...@pan-tex.net (Wayne Cook)
wrote:

> There's lot of reason's you don't want a trailer like this. They are
>a pain in several way's including backing, and high speed stability
>(some can actually be towed a decent speed but others looking
>identical will start to whip at 30 mph).

Why would a trailer of this design whip worse than a trailer with
one set of wheels?

>>Do you ever have to back up the farm wagon?

Yep. I don't consider it to be any worse than backing up a regular
wagon. What really sucks is backing up a *train* of wagons; I did it
once, but I never want to try it again.

> Not many people can do it but some can (I can but it's slow and
>tedious). A favorite trick of cotton farmers is to put a hitch on the
>front of the truck to use when backing cotton trailers. It helps a
>lot.

Yeah, that works. Another thing people do is to have a 'push pole'
which is just a wooden tongue that you can use to push the wagon
backwards with someon carrying the wagon tongue to steer it. Works
great when you've got some tight maneuvering to do.

Robert Nichols

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <362F63...@bc.sympatico.ca>,
Ted Edwards <Te...@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote:
: If you're not good with knots and want to be,

:invest in a copy of Askley's Book of Knots.

That's "The Ashley Book of Knots", ISBN #0-385-04025-3, available from
^
amazon.com. It contains some real eye openers about the misuse of some
common knots. especially the square knot.

--
Bob Nichols rnic...@interaccess.com
Finger rnic...@cluster.interaccess.com for PGP public key.

eri...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
"Ashley's Book Of Knots" is an excellent book...however, it was written well
before the days of modern "slick" synthetic line...Published in 1944, a lot of
material in this book should be used with caution in synthetic cordage.

A good modern day author is a guy named Brion Toss. He has one book in
particular simply called "Knots" (one of Chapman's "Nautical Guides", or some
such) in the marine section of the book store. This book doesn't cover many
knots, but the ones it does are cream of the crop, well illustrated, work well
in most any cordage, and easy to remember...

While it has a nautical "flavor" it's really more of a common sense "real
world" kind of book IMHO...well written too, not just a bunch of
photo's/drawings.

Oh well, so much for metalworking and dumping stuff in the boulevard...

Bob

Te...@bc.sympatico.ca wrote:
> Catru...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> > they never hear from anyone following me. I reccommend that you forgo rope
> > and switch to ratcheting straps and chains and binders. They are more
> > reliable and much stronger.
>
> I'm not a trucker but I have moved a fair amount of stuff on a serious
> car top rack (made it myself) and/or trailers. I have had ratcheting
> straps fail. I agree that for many loads chains and load binders are
> very good. So is rope IF you use good quality rope (not the poly crap
> they sell in the hardware stores) and proper knots properly tied. For
> tying down serious loads with rope, I use 1/2" double braided dacron
> yacht rope. Yes, it's expensive but it's strong, non-strechy and takes

> and holds knots well. If you're not good with knots and want to be,

> invest in a copy of Askley's Book of Knots.
>

> Ted

Maguire

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Mike Graham wrote:

Snip>

> Why hasn't anyone come up with a high speed version of the farm
> wagon for highways? Is there some issue with them that I'm unfamiliar
> with? Especially with a short-wheelbase truck like mine (90"), it
> would seem to be a much safer alternative.
>

> Mike Graham

Hey Mike;

The fab shop down the street from me works a great deal with trailers
and hiches, once on a while I'll see a trailer with small tandem swivel
wheels under the tongue. Asked the owner of the shop about it once and
he said race car haulers love those things, works on a gas
shock/accumulator principle and the tongue weight may be set with
high/low limits. He also said once in a while you'll see them with these
dollys on both front corners of larger trailers. He says they work
pretty good.

Matt Maguire

Fitch R. Williams

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
mi...@headwaters.com (Mike Graham) wrote:

> Why would a trailer of this design whip worse than a trailer with
>one set of wheels?

Well, I'm a farm boy, and can tell you it is surely true that they do. A
kingpin axle wagon will "hunt" back and forth behind you, some more, some less.
The problem is the linkage and the "gain" in the system.

If the trailer gets even a tiny bit off center behind the two vehicle, the
wheels turn to bring it back, but it will over travel a tiny bit due to play in
the linkage, which puts it off sides on the other side, so it corrects, and so
on.

The 4 wheel farm wagons with a solid front axle that pivots in the middle will
just fine even at 45 or 50 mph. The down side to these is that the front of the
wagon becomes aquite unstable in roll if the axle is pivoted to far off center,
as absolutely "will" occurr when trying to back one up even with a tractor.

We had two wagons on the farm, a really old one constructed from a kit of parts
used with sutomotive componenets that gave us a wagon with the solid front axle
pivoting in the middle. The other was an all steel wagon with akerman steering
(like a car) and a dump bed (great for hauling grain - slippery as the dickens
for doing hay. We made up a removable lattice of 2 x 6 to keep the bales of hay
from sliding off the wagon.

The solid axle trailer wasn't to bad to back up using a tractor -= never could
do much with it with a truck. The akerman axle trailer was hard to back up with
anything but a front end hitch on the tractor. Even the front hich didn't work
really well up hill into the hay barn if one got the tongue more than a couple
of feet off center (our row crop tractors did not have front wheel drive).

Glenn Lyford

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <362F63...@bc.sympatico.ca>, Te...@bc.sympatico.ca says...

>I'm not a trucker but I have moved a fair amount of stuff on a serious
>car top rack (made it myself) and/or trailers. I have had ratcheting

>straps fail. [snip]

I too have had these straps fail, but a friend of mine showed me one
of the reasons why this may have happenned:

If you use these straps so that they're perfectly flat (no twists), the
part that sticks out from the load in the moving air whips back and forth.

If, on the other hand, you deliberately put one or more half twists in the
strap every place it crosses over an open space, it sheds the airstream
and doesn't flap. I've not had one fail since I started doing this.

Caveat: I'm using the 1" ratchetting and cam lock straps. I do not
know if this still holds true for 2" straps.

My dad used to use a boat winch with steel cable, a chain and binder,
and a heavy canvas tarp tied down liberally with rope so that none of it
flapped when he hauled wood from southern NH to western MA (about a 3 hr
drive, using a trailer that would hold about 2 cords of 6' lengths) but
I've mostly dealt with moving household goods in pickups and not felt the
need to go to that level. I do try to make sure I have at least one
strap over every part of the load, and that at least some part of the
load is tied in by the sides of the truck as well, or by something else
which is (like a bookshelf along the side of the bed).
YMMV,
--Glenn

Glenn Lyford

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
> Why would a trailer of this design whip worse than a trailer with
>one set of wheels?

Usually having part of the weight of the trailer load on the towing
vehicle will greatly improve stability. Because the tow vehicle is
effectively the steering wheels of the trailer, transfering some of the
weight forward helps give the tow vehicle more traction to control the
front of the trailer, much like having too much weight on the very back
of a truck will cause the front end to loose traction and stability until
the load is rearranged to put weight more toward the middle. These other
trailers do not transfer any weight to the tow vehicle, so immediately start
out at a disadvantage. Also, because of the articulation between the hitch
and the main trailer chassis, whenever you try to slow them down they
whip like you are trying to ballance a wet noodle on end. (Another aspect
of the same dynamic that makes them a pain to back up.) They can be made a
little more stable by the use of trailer brakes, but this adds to the
complexity of the setup, and for a small trailer or for small loads,
I feel it does not provide a significant benefit over a properly designed and
loaded single or dual axle trailer.

When you start talking about the log trailers and bulk trailers, these
usually have enough weight to make using trailer brakes necessary anyway,
so this design becomes more usable.
--Glenn

Don Wilkins

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:15:31 -0400, Ted Edwards
<Te...@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I can't remember who it was but some very famous American once said,
>"What this country needs is to hang all the lawyers."

Could be but if so he/she should have given credit to Shakespeare for
the original idea.

Shakespeare I'm sure you know was hardly American as she was born of a
Madagascarian mother (father unknown) and was raised in Kurdestan.
Wrote a series of operas for the King of Egypt.

Henry VI if I recall correctly.

<balance snipped>

Mike Graham

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:38:02 GMT, frwi...@ptw.com (Fitch R. Williams)
wrote:

>Well, I'm a farm boy, and can tell you it is surely true that they do. A

>kingpin axle wagon will "hunt" back and forth behind you, some more, some less.
>The problem is the linkage and the "gain" in the system.

I've pulled them lots of times, but our Kubota maxes out at about
10mph in 8th gear. 8-) Guess I've never pulled one fast enough to
have a problem.

>The solid axle trailer wasn't to bad to back up using a tractor -= never could
>do much with it with a truck. The akerman axle trailer was hard to back up with
>anything but a front end hitch on the tractor. Even the front hich didn't work
>really well up hill into the hay barn if one got the tongue more than a couple
>of feet off center (our row crop tractors did not have front wheel drive).

The wagon that we're using now (the old one has been retired; it had
*wooden spoked* wheels) has steering of the Akerman type. I back it
up as a matter of course. On dirt I have an advantage because I can
single-wheel steer our Kubota, but on pavement I've just got to be
careful. It usually takes me about 1 try per 10' of reversing.

Ted Edwards

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Wayne Cook wrote:

> tedious). A favorite trick of cotton farmers is to put a hitch on the
> front of the truck to use when backing cotton trailers. It helps a
> lot.

I riged up a plate and short mast with a hitch ball on top. This can be
mounted either front or rear on my 16hp garden tractor. Mounted on the
front, it makes manuvering the boat trailer or utility trailer into a
tight spot ENORMOUSLY easier than backing in.

Ted

Grant Erwin

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
Some of the guys out here in Seattle are thinking about
designing/building
an equipment trailer. It would seem to me that precision wheel alignment
would be pretty important. I recently moved some equipment in a
homebuilt
trailer and it wasn't very stable although all the weight was
distributed
correctly, etc. I thought it was probably that the wheels weren't
aligned.

How is wheel alignment handled in commercial trailer design?

Grant Erwin
Seattle, Washington

Wayne Cook

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 03:16:09 GMT, mi...@headwaters.com (Mike Graham)
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 18:08:20 GMT, way...@pan-tex.net (Wayne Cook)
>wrote:
>
>> There's lot of reason's you don't want a trailer like this. They are
>>a pain in several way's including backing, and high speed stability
>>(some can actually be towed a decent speed but others looking
>>identical will start to whip at 30 mph).
>

> Why would a trailer of this design whip worse than a trailer with
>one set of wheels?

Mostly slop and alignment issues. I followed one today that was
doing the dance at about 30 MPH. It was going side by side about 1.5'
each time. With one set of wheels (or a tandem) you have a lot less
slop in everything and alignment is simpler.

>>>Do you ever have to back up the farm wagon?
>
> Yep. I don't consider it to be any worse than backing up a regular
>wagon. What really sucks is backing up a *train* of wagons; I did it
>once, but I never want to try it again.

Hmm. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I'm not talking
about a tandem axle trailer but one with a set of steering axles up at
the very front and a stationary axle at the very rear. A train of
these is very hard to back indeed (though I heard stories of people
doing but not many).

>> Not many people can do it but some can (I can but it's slow and

>>tedious). A favorite trick of cotton farmers is to put a hitch on the
>>front of the truck to use when backing cotton trailers. It helps a
>>lot.
>

> Yeah, that works. Another thing people do is to have a 'push pole'
>which is just a wooden tongue that you can use to push the wagon
>backwards with someon carrying the wagon tongue to steer it. Works
>great when you've got some tight maneuvering to do.

That's one of the most common ways of getting them backed on level
ground.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

Mike Graham

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:01:10 GMT, way...@pan-tex.net (Wayne Cook)
wrote:

> Hmm. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I'm not talking

>about a tandem axle trailer but one with a set of steering axles up at
>the very front and a stationary axle at the very rear. A train of
>these is very hard to back indeed (though I heard stories of people
>doing but not many).

I'm talking about something with a steering axle at the front.
Auto-type steering. Since you're backing it up with a tractor which
can turn on a dime, it's not too bad. I had to back up a train of two
wagons once. Took me about 8 tries.

Wayne Cook

Oct 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/24/98
On Sat, 24 Oct 1998 12:27:38 GMT, mi...@headwaters.com (Mike Graham)
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Oct 1998 23:01:10 GMT, way...@pan-tex.net (Wayne Cook)

>wrote:
>
>> Hmm. I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I'm not talking
>>about a tandem axle trailer but one with a set of steering axles up at
>>the very front and a stationary axle at the very rear. A train of
>>these is very hard to back indeed (though I heard stories of people
>>doing but not many).
>
> I'm talking about something with a steering axle at the front.
>Auto-type steering. Since you're backing it up with a tractor which
>can turn on a dime, it's not too bad. I had to back up a train of two
>wagons once. Took me about 8 tries.

Ok that's the ones. But I'm talking about backing with a pickup
which is just a little harder to do than with a tractor. :-)

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

Lee Marshall

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
Mark Kinsler wrote:

> Another scientific discovery made this summer. A discussion of welding
> gases in "How Things Work" led a student to bring in a few carbide
> granules in a glass jar. The jar had a screw-on lid with a hole in
> it--don't remember why. I put a bit of water into the jar and we could
> smell the acetylene that was generated.
>
> Herr Doktor Professor here decided that it would be keen for the class to
> see an acetylene flame. I thus held a spark lighter over the hole and
> flicked it.
>
> The metal lid eventually came down to earth. At least I did this stunt
> outside, and the merciful God who protects all idiots prevented the damn
> jar from breaking. One of the best explosions I did all year.
>
> One of the course evaluations that came back for that particular seminar
> gently suggested that safety considerations should continue to be
> emphasized.
>
> Two non-safety issues of interest, though:
>
> The lid wasn't even distorted: it screwed right back on the jar.
>
> And the carbide was from an installation that I'd never heard of: The
> student owned an old farmhouse that apparently had a built-in acetylene
> generator, presumably for lighting purposes. I've never heard of such a
> thing, though I suppose that acetylene for domestic lighting is a
> perfectly reasonable idea.

Mark, that story brought back memories of me and my gang finding a five
gallon can of carbide granules in an abondoned garage. Somehow we
figured out that if we put some in a jar, screwed the lid on and punched
some holes in the top, and then dropped it off the bridge into the river
below that we might get a reaction. Well, let me tell you, we did. We
blew out a few windows in the immediate area, and I am damn glad that
the water was at least 50 feet below the bridge.

Still learning, after all these years.

Lee

Mark Kinsler

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
[...]

still alive for some reason.
Interpretation and instruction of physical science and technology
Athens, Ohio, USA. http://www.frognet.net/~kinsler

Ken Mayer

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Mark Kinsler <kin...@frognet.net> wrote:
: Another scientific discovery made this summer. A discussion of welding

: gases in "How Things Work" led a student to bring in a few carbide
: granules in a glass jar. The jar had a screw-on lid with a hole in
: it--don't remember why. I put a bit of water into the jar and we could
: smell the acetylene that was generated.

: Herr Doktor Professor here decided that it would be keen for the class to
: see an acetylene flame. I thus held a spark lighter over the hole and
: flicked it.

"someone" forgot that acetylene is explosive in concentrations from 1% to
99%! There was remaing air inside the jar, so the flame flashed back
through the hole and ignited the contents. Sometimes "book smarts" can be
a useful thing! <g>

[...]

Is the reason so that you can enjoy the experience again?

--

Ken
:-)

ppierce

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Mark Kinsler wrote:

> Another scientific discovery made this summer. A discussion of welding
> gases in "How Things Work" led a student to bring in a few carbide
> granules in a glass jar. The jar had a screw-on lid with a hole in
> it--don't remember why. I put a bit of water into the jar and we could
> smell the acetylene that was generated.
>
> Herr Doktor Professor here decided that it would be keen for the class to
> see an acetylene flame. I thus held a spark lighter over the hole and
> flicked it.
>
> The metal lid eventually came down to earth. At least I did this stunt
> outside, and the merciful God who protects all idiots prevented the damn
> jar from breaking. One of the best explosions I did all year.
>
> One of the course evaluations that came back for that particular seminar
> gently suggested that safety considerations should continue to be
> emphasized.
>
> Two non-safety issues of interest, though:
>
> The lid wasn't even distorted: it screwed right back on the jar.
>
> And the carbide was from an installation that I'd never heard of: The
> student owned an old farmhouse that apparently had a built-in acetylene
> generator, presumably for lighting purposes. I've never heard of such .....

You are just not old enough. Our local welding shop used such a
generator.
We used to buy some crystals from him and blow up bottles with it.
Lucky we
still have our eyesight and fingers.

--
Paul in AJ AZ, NRA Endowment Member MSC stockholder (150 shares)
Checkout http://www.dejanews.com

brian_evans

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Snipped
>: And the carbide was from an installation that I'd never heard of: The

>: student owned an old farmhouse that apparently had a built-in acetylene
>: generator, presumably for lighting purposes. I've never heard of such a
>: thing, though I suppose that acetylene for domestic lighting is a
>: perfectly reasonable idea.
>
>: Mark Kinsler
>: still alive for some reason.

I have an old set of Machinery's Mechanical Library (10 volumes, 1914 - 1916,
first editions, mint shape, no one on the group appears to have ever heard of
them). I seem to recall in the welding section a discussion of acetelene
generators for normal use, before tanked acetelene would have been commonly
available, I guess...

Brian

Jim McGill

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Brings to mind a memorable industrial spill they had on I-5, south of
Portland, Oregon, a number of years back. It was a dizzly day and a
truck loaded with misc. industrial stuff jackknifed and overturned,
spilling various containers. Somebody noticed that some of the
containers were smoldering, so the local fire department hosed them
down. Hell of an acetylene flash when the water hit all those barrels of
carbide :-) Luckily no one was close, and the cardboard containers fell
apart, but I remember the footage on the local news was pretty
impressive. I think they had to repave that part of the road. To this
day, when my caver friends are casual with their carbide lamps, I still
get a bit nervous.

Jim

Felice Luftschein & Nicholas Carter

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

>I have an old set of Machinery's Mechanical Library (10 volumes, 1914 - 1916,
>first editions, mint shape, no one on the group appears to have ever heard of
>them).
I passed up on a set, $175, I couldn't justify it....

Mike Graham

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
On 27 Oct 1998 04:54:32 GMT, kin...@frognet.net (Mark Kinsler) wrote:

>And the carbide was from an installation that I'd never heard of: The
>student owned an old farmhouse that apparently had a built-in acetylene
>generator, presumably for lighting purposes. I've never heard of such a
>thing, though I suppose that acetylene for domestic lighting is a
>perfectly reasonable idea.

A lot more common than you'd think. Not every farmhouse was 'on the
grid' to be able to use gaslight. It was even more common for them
to have methane digesters (you got livestock? you got methane.)

Einar Sjaavik

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
Mike Graham wrote:
> A lot more common than you'd think. Not every farmhouse was 'on the
> grid' to be able to use gaslight. It was even more common for them
> to have methane digesters (you got livestock? you got methane.)

Great!
And if used to run a furnace, would that make it a
Fart Furnace?

--
Einar Sjaavik, einar_...@login.eunet.no,
http://www.login.eunet.no/~einar/

Spehro Pefhany

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
the renowned Mike Graham <mi...@headwaters.com> wrote:

> A lot more common than you'd think. Not every farmhouse was 'on the
> grid' to be able to use gaslight. It was even more common for them
> to have methane digesters (you got livestock? you got methane.)

I understand a lot of rural houses in China are lit by methane gas lamps,
you just run a little plastic tube from the compost etc. heap and you get
free fuel. It also points out why landfills have to be designed to vent
the gas properly. Nobody wants exploding compost.

Spehro Pefhany "The Journey is the reward"
sp...@interlog.com
Fax:(905) 332-4270 (small micro system devt hw/sw + mfg)

Wayne Cook

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

When our friendly welding supply rep visited us a while back he told
a few stories about carbide fires like that. Of course a welding
supplier is going to have a lot of carbide around (especially when
it's in the plant where he's filling bottles from it). I think he said
the fire started when one of the generators blew up one night after
everyone left. Well with all that calcium carbide stored in there and
the fact that it was raining a little made for one heck of a fire. He
said the owner had to flat out threaten the fire marshal to keep him
from spraying water into the building. He kept telling him to use foam
but he wouldn't do to the cost.

I know where a acetylene generator is sitting right now hooked up to
a set of torches (I don't have a clue when it was used last though
since the guy's to old to do much anymore). At work there's the story
of when the generator blew up on night and landed in the highway. It
left the inside of the shop a nice bright white as well as adding a
skylight (this was the old shop before the current one was built
around 1940). The owner tells of them having two huge generators that
would take a 50 lb charge. They'd clean them both every 6 months or so
and then charge them. They'd keep them in Act for the full 6 months.

As for the fact of acetylene lights in a house. Yes I've heard of it
(though I can't say that I've ever seen a setup for it). I have seen a
Acetylene cloths iron though (and a gasoline powered one as well).

Wayne Cook
Shamrock TX

rays...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
In article <714oog$h...@nnrp1.farm.idt.net>,
Ken Mayer <may...@IDT.NET> wrote:
> Mark Kinsler <kin...@frognet.net> wrote:
<snip>
> : And the carbide was from an installation that I'd never heard of: The

> : student owned an old farmhouse that apparently had a built-in acetylene
> : generator, presumably for lighting purposes. I've never heard of such a
> : thing, though I suppose that acetylene for domestic lighting is a
> : perfectly reasonable idea.
>
> : Mark Kinsler
> : still alive for some reason.
>
> Is the reason so that you can enjoy the experience again?

Most of the blacksmith shops of my childhood had carbide generators. Only the
oxygen was supplied in bottles. We used miners lamps for cave exploring. The
stuff makes good light.

Amic...@hotmail.com

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
Well, we had a race car trailer with a 30' box and a 10' dolly. The trailer has a
gooseneck type coupling, and the dolly attached with that. It was the best trailer
I have ever towed with, it followed straight as an arrow, followed around corners
nice, and never whipped once. I am not going to say that backin up wasn't a
challenge, but after a couple tries I could back it up with great accuracy, and
faster than most could with a standard trailer.

I like the dolly because the tow vehicle doesn't sag from too much tongue weight,
when turning in a driveway (U-turn) it would turn so sharp you could touch the side
of the trailer. I have also found they are easier to back up in small spaces
because there is less movement of the tow vehicle to move the trailer.

"guess its all in the wrist"

Geoff Merryweather.

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
re: acetylene generators
Do these things store the gas under pressure at all, or is it made
on demand. If it was the latter, then it would be a PIA (and wasteful)
for those small jobs.
They come up for sale from time to time, adn I am tempted, but I
always resist. In New Zealand, you can't buy your gas bottles - have
to renet them at $US5 per month each. A nice little earner for our gas
duopoly...
Geoff
--
Radar detector FAQ, Forte Agent automation FAQ, bathroom fan FAQ
and THE WORLDS BEST CHRISTMAS PUDDING RECIPE

Mike Graham

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:10:28 GMT, ge...@ihug.co.nz.DELETE_THIS_PART
(Geoff Merryweather. ) wrote:

>re: acetylene generators
> Do these things store the gas under pressure at all, or is it made
>on demand. If it was the latter, then it would be a PIA (and wasteful)
>for those small jobs.
> They come up for sale from time to time, adn I am tempted, but I
>always resist. In New Zealand, you can't buy your gas bottles - have
>to renet them at $US5 per month each. A nice little earner for our gas
>duopoly...

It produces the gas and stores it at about 6psi. It waits for the
pressure to drop before it drops more carbide in the waterbath.

There are several designs used. They probably vary.

Jack Hock

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
You mentioned cavers and carbide lights. I don't go as much now due to
age, but when caving with someone who was a first time caver, we would
cup our hand over the unlit lamps reflector and then by sliding the hand
sideways, quickly spin the ignitor and the lamp would light with a very
loud pop that in the confines of a cave entrance would startle anyone
nearby.

When I was much younger, we used to take empty metal baking soda cans
that had the press fit round lid, make a small hole in the bottom and
put a lump of carbide with some water in the can, press on the lid and
apply a match to the hole, it made a satisfactory "carbide cannon"

Jack. NSS 24866

PLAlbrecht

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Spero Pefhany wrote

>Nobody wants exploding compost.

Don't be too sure. There was a record album (remember albums?) done by Chicago
radio DJ Larry Lujack and his faithful sidekick "Little Tommy" called "Animal
Stories." Every day they would have a few minutes of absurd stuff having to do
with animals. One day Larry reads this news release about scientists in
Australia noticing that cow dung is great for fertilizing the fields, but
there's a distribution problem. Their solution was to put some sort of pellets
in the feed which would pass through the digestive tract and, after prolonged
exposure to sunlight (as in a cow pie basking in a meadow) would explode, thus
spreading the fertilizer over a larger area. Larry Lujack's comment was that it
might promote fertilizer spreading but it would probably also result in cows
with some very strange complexes.

Pete

Fitch R. Williams

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
Amic...@hotmail.com wrote:

>Well, we had a race car trailer with a 30' box and a 10' dolly. The trailer has a
>gooseneck type coupling, and the dolly attached with that. It was the best trailer
>I have ever towed with, it followed straight as an arrow, followed around corners
>nice, and never whipped once. I am not going to say that backin up wasn't a
>challenge, but after a couple tries I could back it up with great accuracy, and
>faster than most could with a standard trailer.

Sounds like a nice trailer. I have a gooseneck horse trailer that is a dream to
pull - it it didn't show in the rear view mirror I swear you could forget its
there. It does track way inside on corners compared to a bumper pull trailer.
It backs up quite nicely, although it is not as responsive as a bumper pull and
requires more anticipation. It will turn in about its own length by jacknifing
the truck a bit and then driving around.

I would love to have a gooseneck equipment trailer but probably won't buy one.

Fitch

In So. Cal.

The FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) for rec.crafts.metalworking
is at http://w3.uwyo.edu/~metal.

The companion web page for rec.crafts.metalworking is the

The "Drop Box" for metalworking related pictures and binary files
is at http://www.metalworking.com/

Don Wilkins

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98

Doesn't sound like a good place to take your girl friend or to play a
rugby game.

Mike Graham

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:14:04 GMT, frwi...@ptw.com (Fitch R. Williams)
wrote:

>I would love to have a gooseneck equipment trailer but probably won't buy one.

*Buy* one? Build one. Or add a gooseneck to your existing trailer.

Fitch R. Williams

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
mi...@headwaters.com (Mike Graham) wrote:

>Or add a gooseneck to your existing trailer.

I thought about that, but its only 7,500 GVW - and a goose neck equipment
trailer could be designed for 14,000 GVW and still be within the mfg rating for
the truck.

Good idea though.

Mike Graham

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:16:10 GMT, frwi...@ptw.com (Fitch R. Williams)
wrote:

>I thought about that, but its only 7,500 GVW - and a goose neck equipment

>trailer could be designed for 14,000 GVW and still be within the mfg rating for
>the truck.

Still, why not have *two*? You can add a gooseneck to your small
utility trailer to make it pull nicer, and build a larger gooseneck
float for moving your excavator around on.