[OT:] Watch battery replacement

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 12:01:20 AM1/13/12
I took SWMBO's watch to the local Fossil shop for a
battery replacement. They had it done in a few minutes
and it cost me less than 20 dollarettes.

The watch konked out in about a month.
I opened it up and tested the battery. It was at
about 0.7 V. Apparently their 'battery replacement'
involves swapping in an almost dead battery with the
hope the victim will return to purchase another watch.

Six bucks later, I installed a really new battery and
the watch works great again.

Almost the same thing happened with another of
her watches. She paid to have the battery replaced
and it konked out in a couple months. It's battery
tested almost new. I bent the negative battery contact
up to meet the cell and the thing has run reliably
since then.

The ancient chestnut about doing things oneself
appears to be true. Grrr. :)

Metal content: After reviewing a couple YouTube
entries regarding amateur watch service, I modified
a cheap screwdriver to make a 'back opener'.

It worked a treat. My elastomer-jawed vise closed
the back without any drama. (The Fossil watch
snapped shut with only 'thumbs pressure'.)

--Winston

beryl

Jan 13, 2012, 12:49:23 AM1/13/12
On 01/12/2012 09:01 PM, Winston wrote:
> I took SWMBO's watch to the local Fossil shop for a
> battery replacement. They had it done in a few minutes
> and it cost me less than 20 dollarettes.
>
> The watch konked out in about a month.
> Six bucks later, I installed a really new battery and
> the watch works great again.
>
> Almost the same thing happened with another of
> her watches. I bent the negative battery contact
> up to meet the cell and the thing has run reliably
> since then.
>
> The ancient chestnut about doing things oneself
> appears to be true. Grrr. :)

Replacing the battery in my Casio Databank was such an ordeal, I'm not
doing it again. I use my Tropicana Orange Juice watch now. Real easy.
And the hands are straws, and 12 is an Orange.

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 1:10:29 AM1/13/12
beryl wrote:

(...)

> Replacing the battery in my Casio Databank was such an ordeal, I'm not
> doing it again. I use my Tropicana Orange Juice watch now. Real easy.
> And the hands are straws, and 12 is an Orange.

Like eBay 170757341720 ?

Ooooo! I Want One!

--Winston

beryl

Jan 13, 2012, 1:33:43 AM1/13/12
On 01/12/2012 10:10 PM, Winston wrote:
> beryl wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> Replacing the battery in my Casio Databank was such an ordeal, I'm not
>> doing it again. I use my Tropicana Orange Juice watch now. Real easy.
>> And the hands are straws, and 12 is an Orange.
>

> Like eBay 170757341720 ?

That's the one.

> Ooooo! I Want One!
>
> --Winston

Please, 2 are available, let someone else score the other one.

grmi...@rogers.com

Jan 13, 2012, 2:00:16 AM1/13/12
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:01:20 -0800, Winston <Win...@BigBrother.net>
wrote:
Up until about ten months ago, whenever I needed anything to do with a
watch, I went to the little family shop nearby. Battery replacement
was five dollars including battery and taxes and was done by the
Daughter. Repairs to my Grandfather's pocket watch were carried out by
the 79 year old watchmaker.This, after he admitted defeat in that he
could not open the threaded case, I opened the case by lining the rim
of a die cast 2" pulley with silicone caulk and using that to get a
grip on the case back. He admitted that he was afraid to dammage my
watch whereas I could be more adventurous with it.
Most operation of the retail store was overseen by the Mother. The
end of March, the Gentleman passed away suddenly, apparently only a
short time before he had planned to close the shop and retire

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 9:35:10 AM1/13/12
grmi...@rogers.com wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:01:20 -0800, Winston<Win...@BigBrother.net>
> wrote:

(...)

>> Metal content: After reviewing a couple YouTube
>> entries regarding amateur watch service, I modified
>> a cheap screwdriver to make a 'back opener'.

I now see that an almost identical tool is available
for US$25 + tax and P&H!

I could have saved 5 minutes at the grinder. Dang.

http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog_Case_Back_Openers.html

FB-235

(...)

> Up until about ten months ago, whenever I needed anything to do with a
> watch, I went to the little family shop nearby. Battery replacement
> was five dollars including battery and taxes and was done by the
> Daughter. Repairs to my Grandfather's pocket watch were carried out by
> the 79 year old watchmaker.This, after he admitted defeat in that he
> could not open the threaded case, I opened the case by lining the rim
> of a die cast 2" pulley with silicone caulk and using that to get a
> grip on the case back.

That is using your head!
'Sounds like the DIY version of this tool:
"Blue ScrewBall Case Opener"
http://www.tztoolshop.com/FB_Catalog_Case_Back_Openers.html

> He admitted that he was afraid to dammage my
> watch whereas I could be more adventurous with it.
> Most operation of the retail store was overseen by the Mother. The
> end of March, the Gentleman passed away suddenly, apparently only a
> short time before he had planned to close the shop and retire

You were really fortunate to have a mom & pop store.
I suppose that they were forced to close.
That's sad.

--Winston

Stormin Mormon

Jan 13, 2012, 10:03:01 AM1/13/12
I have great respect for old men, like that. I hope to be one, some day.

Something about retiring, appears to be lethal to people who enjoy their
careers. Six months or so of rocking chair, and they are done for.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

<grmi...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Jan 13, 2012, 10:04:18 AM1/13/12
Sounds like you may be right, or maybe they got a load of dead batteries
from China? Did you at least go back and ask them to make it right? Or are
you just figuring that they were dishonest?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Winston" <Win...@BigBrother.net> wrote in message

Larry Jaques

Jan 13, 2012, 10:57:30 AM1/13/12
wrote:

>I took SWMBO's watch to the local Fossil shop for a
>battery replacement. They had it done in a few minutes
>and it cost me less than 20 dollarettes.
>
>The watch konked out in about a month.
>I opened it up and tested the battery. It was at
>about 0.7 V. Apparently their 'battery replacement'
>involves swapping in an almost dead battery with the
>hope the victim will return to purchase another watch.

I would have taken it back and screamed so they didn't get away with
it. The more people who come back, the less they think they can get
away with it. OR, they find that they have a whole lot of bogus
batteries and institute a recall for all customers who got 'em.
It all depends on motive.

>Six bucks later, I installed a really new battery and
>the watch works great again.
>
>Almost the same thing happened with another of
>her watches. She paid to have the battery replaced
>and it konked out in a couple months. It's battery
>tested almost new. I bent the negative battery contact
>up to meet the cell and the thing has run reliably
>since then.
>
>The ancient chestnut about doing things oneself
>appears to be true. Grrr. :)
>
>Metal content: After reviewing a couple YouTube
>entries regarding amateur watch service, I modified
>a cheap screwdriver to make a 'back opener'.
>
>It worked a treat. My elastomer-jawed vise closed
>the back without any drama. (The Fossil watch
>snapped shut with only 'thumbs pressure'.)

Since you're doing so much watch repair, you should have one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-watch-repair-kit-91622.html

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Ignoramus16789

Jan 13, 2012, 11:02:35 AM1/13/12
Would anyone recommend a good watch tool set for opening watches, I
have a couple of them that need to get batteries replaced.

Jim Stewart

Jan 13, 2012, 12:18:08 PM1/13/12
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:01:20 -0800, Winston<Win...@BigBrother.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I took SWMBO's watch to the local Fossil shop for a
>> battery replacement. They had it done in a few minutes
>> and it cost me less than 20 dollarettes.
>>
>> The watch konked out in about a month.
>> I opened it up and tested the battery. It was at
>> about 0.7 V. Apparently their 'battery replacement'
>> involves swapping in an almost dead battery with the
>> hope the victim will return to purchase another watch.
>
> I would have taken it back and screamed so they didn't get away with
> it. The more people who come back, the less they think they can get
> away with it. OR, they find that they have a whole lot of bogus
> batteries and institute a recall for all customers who got 'em.
> It all depends on motive.

Slightly off-topic, I'm always amazed at the
prices charged for lithium coin cells. We use
about 2000 CR2032 cells a year. We purchase
prime, fresh, name brand cells in quantity and
pay about fifteen cents a piece. I've seen them
in stores for as high as $5.

Stanley Schaefer

Jan 13, 2012, 12:54:31 PM1/13/12
On Jan 13, 9:02 am, Ignoramus16789 <ignoramus16...@NOSPAM.
HF has a set I've used a few times. Just depends on the style of the
back. Some unscrew, some you have to get a blunt knife edge under and
unsnap the thing. Something to use the 20% off coupon on when it goes
on sale. Putting the backs back on can be more of an adventure than
unsnapping them. Some jewelers have a small arbor press for putting
them back on. So far, a couple of thumbs and a lot of squeezing has
done the trick on the watches I have.

Or you can hit the jewelry sites and get pro-quality tools.

Stan

Jon Elson

Jan 13, 2012, 12:58:51 PM1/13/12
Most of them today have tiny Philips screws on the back.
Otherwise, they have screw-on backs, that can usually be started
with just a small flat-blade screwdriver pushing sideways on
the notches in the lid.

Jon

Jon Elson

Jan 13, 2012, 1:02:56 PM1/13/12
Jim Stewart wrote:

> Slightly off-topic, I'm always amazed at the
> prices charged for lithium coin cells. We use
> about 2000 CR2032 cells a year. We purchase
> prime, fresh, name brand cells in quantity and
> pay about fifteen cents a piece. I've seen them
> in stores for as high as $5.
Geez, even Digi-Key sells them for $1.50 or so in
single quantity. You ought to SEE what hoops they
have to go through to ship them, THREE separate
labels on the box, a pouch for handling instructions
in case the package should be damaged, a "not for
transport on passenger aircraft" hazmat placard
and a warning label. No wonder they have to charge
that much for the things. So, your 2000 units come
in an armored car, and armed guards supervise your
signing that you received the hazardous cargo?

Jon

ATP

Jan 13, 2012, 1:21:10 PM1/13/12

"Ignoramus16789" <ignoram...@NOSPAM.16789.invalid> wrote in message
> Would anyone recommend a good watch tool set for opening watches, I
> have a couple of them that need to get batteries replaced.

Amazon has some sets that work well and are cheap.

Leon Fisk

Jan 13, 2012, 2:01:40 PM1/13/12
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 21:01:20 -0800
Winston <Win...@BigBrother.net> wrote:

>I took SWMBO's watch to the local Fossil shop for a
>battery replacement. They had it done in a few minutes
>and it cost me less than 20 dollarettes.
>
>The watch konked out in about a month.
>I opened it up and tested the battery. It was at
>about 0.7 V. Apparently their 'battery replacement'
>involves swapping in an almost dead battery with the
>hope the victim will return to purchase another watch.
>
>Six bucks later, I installed a really new battery and
>the watch works great again.
<snip>

It takes me anywhere from 5-10 minutes just to clean up the case/seal
area, before opening it up. Probably another 10 minutes cleaning the
inner seal area before closing it back up. So to do the job right you
would have to spend 20-30 minutes replacing the battery. Even if
everything goes right. Removing and installing the new battery is the
easy part, usually...

Now do you really think anyone could stay in business very long at the
rate you were charged if they did the job correctly? :)

I usually use an old knife to pry open the snap case style and a small
bent (90 deg) needle nose pliers to unscrew the other. If I was doing
it for pay I would get a better spanner wrench. An old sharp dental pick
for cleaning out gunk around the seal area.

My brother-in-laws watch was particularly oinky getting snapped back
together. Sister brought it to me when she came to visit. He got it
apart okay but couldn't get it snapped together again. Me neither, at
first. Both of us still have strong forearms/grip yet too. Ended up
using my little half-ton arbor press for that one. Looked through my
socket set until I found one that just fit around the crystal and
rested on the metal watch body. Worked slick, hope I remember that
trick next time I need it ;-)

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Usual suspect

Jan 13, 2012, 2:24:09 PM1/13/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 09:54:31 -0800 (PST), Stanley Schaefer
<sta...@prolynx.com> wrote:

>On Jan 13, 9:02 am, Ignoramus16789 <ignoramus16...@NOSPAM.
>16789.invalid> wrote:
>> Would anyone recommend a good watch tool set for opening watches, I
>> have a couple of them that need to get batteries replaced.

I bought one of the following.

http://www.amazon.com/Jeweler-Watch-Repair-Waterproof-Opener-Wrench/dp/B002ZLWFO6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1326482469&sr=8-4

Spehro Pefhany

Jan 13, 2012, 2:21:20 PM1/13/12
I picked up a set from Harbor Freight last year at one of their
warehouses (South Carolina?)- made in India. I have not used it yet,
but it looks like it would do the job nicely for the screw on backs:-

http://www.harborfreight.com/watch-case-opener-91550.html

They also have this press:
http://www.harborfreight.com/watch-case-press-with-nylon-dies-91621.html

So, for less than the cost of one battery replacement at the jewelers
you should be able to get outfitted.

Spehro Pefhany

Jan 13, 2012, 2:32:21 PM1/13/12
Is it really waterproof? Looks like it might rust.

Jim Stewart

Jan 13, 2012, 3:39:05 PM1/13/12
Nothing like that. Just a hazmat sticker
and shipping by ground. We buy them from
a battery distributor, not Digikey.

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 3:45:58 PM1/13/12
Jim Stewart wrote:

(...)

> Slightly off-topic, I'm always amazed at the
> prices charged for lithium coin cells. We use
> about 2000 CR2032 cells a year. We purchase
> prime, fresh, name brand cells in quantity and
> pay about fifteen cents a piece. I've seen them
> in stores for as high as $5.

Where can I get these for only $5?
I pay north of $6.50

--Winston

Spehro Pefhany

Jan 13, 2012, 3:56:44 PM1/13/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:45:58 -0800, Winston <Win...@BigBrother.net>
wrote:
They're only 22 cents from Digikey (Panasonic brand) in 100 quantity.
About 15 cents @ 1.2K

Thing is, if there is other stuff on the order they force the entire
shipment to go by ground, which sucks a bit.

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 5:04:45 PM1/13/12
Stormin Mormon wrote:
> Sounds like you may be right, or maybe they got a load of dead batteries
> from China? Did you at least go back and ask them to make it right? Or are
> you just figuring that they were dishonest?

Yup. I figure both of the 'battery replacement' shops
in my area used similar tactics.

Oh Well.

--Winston

Stormin Mormon

Jan 13, 2012, 5:46:19 PM1/13/12
I just bought a batch on ebay for about 25c each. shipped from Hong Kong,
too. I can't imagine how they do that, so inexpensively?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Jim Stewart" <jste...@jkmicro.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Jan 13, 2012, 5:47:34 PM1/13/12
Might not be typical, but the PYT at Walmart, she kept turning the screw
driver after the screws were seated. I nearly jumped over the display case,
and took the screw driver out of her hand. I won't have them change my watch
battery ever again.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Jon Elson" <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote in message

Larry Jaques

Jan 13, 2012, 6:19:42 PM1/13/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:45:58 -0800, Winston <Win...@BigBrother.net>
wrote:

I got my last batch of 5 for $1.32 from a Chinese eBay vendor.
http://goo.gl/z3C5c lots to choose from. Mine are made in Japan by
Matsusho and they seem to be lasting quite well. Long delivery time.

HF has 4-packs for $1.99.

Winston

Jan 13, 2012, 7:06:31 PM1/13/12
I will check it out. TianQiu Larry.

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 13, 2012, 9:03:07 PM1/13/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 16:06:31 -0800, Winston <Win...@BigBrother.net>
wrote:
<g> That's the brand of the CR2016s the idiot sent me the first time.
A USAtian, too.

Win...@bigbrother.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:13:32 PM1/13/12
Well, OKAY.

:)

--Winston

Win...@bigbrother.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:26:28 PM1/13/12
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

> I would have taken it back and screamed so they didn't get away with
> it. The more people who come back, the less they think they can get
> away with it. OR, they find that they have a whole lot of bogus
> batteries and institute a recall for all customers who got 'em.
> It all depends on motive.

They're paid to sell watches, not develop deep and
meaningful business relationships.

(...)

> Since you're doing so much watch repair, you should have one of these:
> http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-watch-repair-kit-91622.html

I swapped batteries in three watches with my nifty little
ground - up screwdriver. It was more fun than I thought
it would be. Still, I'm trusting you guys not to let on
that I know how to do that. :)

--Winston

Win...@bigbrother.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:29:15 PM1/13/12
Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:45:58 -0800, Winston<Win...@BigBrother.net>
> wrote:

(...)

>> Where can I get these for only $5?
>> I pay north of $6.50
>>
>> --Winston
>
> They're only 22 cents from Digikey (Panasonic brand) in 100 quantity.
> About 15 cents @ 1.2K

Thanks for that. Somehow I had Digikey penciled as the
'high price' vendor. I was sure wrong that time.

> Thing is, if there is other stuff on the order they force the entire
> shipment to go by ground, which sucks a bit.

I'm happy to let them do the driving. :)

--Winston

Win...@bigbrother.net

Jan 13, 2012, 11:35:28 PM1/13/12
Leon Fisk wrote:

(...)

> It takes me anywhere from 5-10 minutes just to clean up the case/seal
> area, before opening it up. Probably another 10 minutes cleaning the
> inner seal area before closing it back up. So to do the job right you
> would have to spend 20-30 minutes replacing the battery.

Whoa. Nobody is going to accuse you of Attention Deficit Disorder.

> Even if
> everything goes right. Removing and installing the new battery is the
> easy part, usually...
>
> Now do you really think anyone could stay in business very long at the
> rate you were charged if they did the job correctly? :)

They can keep their batteries from here on in. :)

> I usually use an old knife to pry open the snap case style and a small
> bent (90 deg) needle nose pliers to unscrew the other. If I was doing
> it for pay I would get a better spanner wrench. An old sharp dental pick
> for cleaning out gunk around the seal area.

The 'electronic' cotton tipped swabs work a treat, I've found.

> My brother-in-laws watch was particularly oinky getting snapped back
> together. Sister brought it to me when she came to visit. He got it
> apart okay but couldn't get it snapped together again. Me neither, at
> first. Both of us still have strong forearms/grip yet too. Ended up
> using my little half-ton arbor press for that one. Looked through my
> socket set until I found one that just fit around the crystal and
> rested on the metal watch body. Worked slick, hope I remember that
> trick next time I need it ;-)

Now you are the go-to guy. Good on ya!

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 14, 2012, 8:40:04 AM1/14/12
Too late, me lad. The CONVOY is on its way to your door as we speak.

Larry Jaques

Jan 14, 2012, 8:43:21 AM1/14/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:26:28 -0800, "Win...@bigbrother.net"
<Win...@bigbrother.net> wrote:

>Larry Jaques wrote:
>
>(...)
>
>> I would have taken it back and screamed so they didn't get away with
>> it. The more people who come back, the less they think they can get
>> away with it. OR, they find that they have a whole lot of bogus
>> batteries and institute a recall for all customers who got 'em.
>> It all depends on motive.
>
>They're paid to sell watches, not develop deep and
>meaningful business relationships.

That's what's wrong with America today, sir. Without the relationship
and its resultant loyalty, a company has to resort to enormous
advertising budgets to drive one-time visitors to their stores.
I'd much rather go talk to an interesting person who has my needs in
mind than to some drone in a clone store, knowwhatImean,Vern?

>(...)
>
>> Since you're doing so much watch repair, you should have one of these:
>> http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-watch-repair-kit-91622.html
>
>I swapped batteries in three watches with my nifty little
>ground - up screwdriver. It was more fun than I thought
>it would be. Still, I'm trusting you guys not to let on
>that I know how to do that. :)

(Oops! See CONVOY message)

Winston

Jan 14, 2012, 12:58:53 PM1/14/12
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

> Too late, me lad. The CONVOY is on its way to your door as we speak.

Gaaah!

--Winston

Winston

Jan 14, 2012, 1:20:13 PM1/14/12
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 20:26:28 -0800, "Win...@bigbrother.net"
> <Win...@bigbrother.net> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> I would have taken it back and screamed so they didn't get away with
>>> it. The more people who come back, the less they think they can get
>>> away with it. OR, they find that they have a whole lot of bogus
>>> batteries and institute a recall for all customers who got 'em.
>>> It all depends on motive.
>>
>> They're paid to sell watches, not develop deep and
>> meaningful business relationships.
>
> That's what's wrong with America today, sir.

For much of America, yes. There *are* bright spots though.

I've never seen a single ad for the excellent car service
company my extended family uses.
I called them for an appointment and the manager apologetically
told me he was booked solid for weeks. There's a reason for that.
Same goes for the terrific house painter we contract with
every few years.

This "word of mouth" thing is very powerful.

> Without the relationship
> and its resultant loyalty, a company has to resort to enormous
> advertising budgets to drive one-time visitors to their stores.

And the effect of said budgets are completely cancelled
by the trivial effort of the store's manager, in a lot of cases.

We now have a Western Tool Supply, some Albertsons and a few CompUSAs
all pushing up daisies just because of the attitude displayed
by their managers. I won't name the others that are now circling
the drain for the same reason.

> I'd much rather go talk to an interesting person who has my needs in
> mind than to some drone in a clone store, knowwhatImean,Vern?

Yup.

That horse done left the barn a few years ago, for most folks.

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 14, 2012, 6:20:36 PM1/14/12
On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:58:53 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:
You've gotta watch what you post on Usenet, Winnie. (dei)

(dei= double entendre intentional)

Gunner Asch

Jan 15, 2012, 4:18:43 AM1/15/12
On Fri, 13 Jan 2012 12:02:56 -0600, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>
wrote:
The local 99cents only stores sell em 3 for a buck

Gunner Asch

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 28, 2012, 4:31:35 PM1/28/12

Stormin Mormon wrote:

> I have great respect for old men, like that. I hope to be one, some day.
>
> Something about retiring, appears to be lethal to people who enjoy their
> careers. Six months or so of rocking chair, and they are done for.

Around here they retire, then drink beer and fish for a couple
months. Then the con artists descend on the widow to rip her off of
anything her husband owned that was worth anything. Then they take it
north before the family discovers what happened.

Michael A. Terrell

Jan 28, 2012, 4:33:07 PM1/28/12
Some buy large boxes of watch batteries, then they sit on the shelf
too long.

Winston

Jan 28, 2012, 5:33:19 PM1/28/12
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

> Winston wrote:
>>
>> Stormin Mormon wrote:
>>> Sounds like you may be right, or maybe they got a load of dead batteries
>>> from China? Did you at least go back and ask them to make it right? Or are
>>> you just figuring that they were dishonest?
>>
>> Yup. I figure both of the 'battery replacement' shops
>> in my area used similar tactics.
>

> Some buy large boxes of watch batteries, then they sit on the shelf
> too long.

Further info:

I replaced cells in three watches.
The first watch (SWMBO's Fossil) is still running fine,
two weeks after it got a verified battery.

The second watch (SWMBO's 'Museum of Art Giftshop') repeated
it's performance; It ran OK for a week then konked out.
I measured maximum current. It was up around 5 uA and was very
irregular. Sometimes it would measure 1 uA, sometimes 2 uA
and sometimes over 5 uA. Research on the web indicated that the
1 uA figure is to be expected but that much over 2 uA can
indicate moisture incursion. SWMBO told me there was a good
possibility the watch had gotten somewhat damp.

The watch was intermittent, even whilst connected to my lab
power supply!

The web indicated that a session with a hair dryer was in order.
I got tired of noodling with the thing, so we agreed to toss it.

The third watch is an old (seriously economical) Casio kid's toy.
It still works fine but the band is much too small for my wrist
and no one in my extended family wants it.

So it appears the cheapo 'Museum Giftshop' watch had done a
'Jacques Cousteau', which caused it to start eating batteries.
My apologies to my fine friends at the Watch Battery Replacement
place. It is possible they aren't dishonest. :)

--Winston<--Fossil however, not so much.

Larry Jaques

Jan 28, 2012, 10:55:07 PM1/28/12
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 14:33:19 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:

>Michael A. Terrell wrote:
>>
>> Winston wrote:

>>> Yup. I figure both of the 'battery replacement' shops
>>> in my area used similar tactics.
>>

>> Some buy large boxes of watch batteries, then they sit on the shelf
>> too long.
>
>Further info:
>
>I replaced cells in three watches.
>The first watch (SWMBO's Fossil) is still running fine,
>two weeks after it got a verified battery.
>
>The second watch (SWMBO's 'Museum of Art Giftshop') repeated
>it's performance; It ran OK for a week then konked out.
>I measured maximum current. It was up around 5 uA and was very
>irregular. Sometimes it would measure 1 uA, sometimes 2 uA
>and sometimes over 5 uA. Research on the web indicated that the
>1 uA figure is to be expected but that much over 2 uA can
>indicate moisture incursion. SWMBO told me there was a good
>possibility the watch had gotten somewhat damp.

"Well, yes, honey, I did go swimming with it for two hours. Is that
bad?"

>The watch was intermittent, even whilst connected to my lab
>power supply!
>
>The web indicated that a session with a hair dryer was in order.
>I got tired of noodling with the thing, so we agreed to toss it.

Excellent choice.

>The third watch is an old (seriously economical) Casio kid's toy.
>It still works fine but the band is much too small for my wrist
>and no one in my extended family wants it.

No comment...

>So it appears the cheapo 'Museum Giftshop' watch had done a
>'Jacques Cousteau', which caused it to start eating batteries.
>My apologies to my fine friends at the Watch Battery Replacement
>place. It is possible they aren't dishonest. :)

Plead Alzies!

>--Winston<--Fossil however, not so much.

Just sed(im)entary rock, eh?

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often

Winston

Jan 29, 2012, 12:05:25 AM1/29/12
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

>> So it appears the cheapo 'Museum Giftshop' watch had done a
>> 'Jacques Cousteau', which caused it to start eating batteries.
>> My apologies to my fine friends at the Watch Battery Replacement
>> place. It is possible they aren't dishonest. :)
>
> Plead Alzies!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

--Winston

Gunner Asch

Jan 29, 2012, 3:06:00 AM1/29/12
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 19:55:07 -0800, Larry Jaques
<lja...@invalid.diversifycomm.com> wrote:

>>The third watch is an old (seriously economical) Casio kid's toy.
>>It still works fine but the band is much too small for my wrist
>>and no one in my extended family wants it.

The finest watches for guys like us..are the Casio G-shocks.

Bar none.

Gunner

Larry Jaques

Jan 29, 2012, 7:41:52 AM1/29/12
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:05:25 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:
I'm just glad your doctor didn't know what he was talking about.

Stormin Mormon

Jan 29, 2012, 7:57:30 AM1/29/12
Old watch batteries never die. They just can't move thier hands.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Michael A. Terrell" <mike.t...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Winston

Jan 29, 2012, 3:24:15 PM1/29/12
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:05:25 -0800, Winston<Win...@Bigbrother.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

>>> Plead Alzies!
>>
>> That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)
>
> I'm just glad your doctor didn't know what he was talking about.

You can tell things changed after he had to answer embarrassing
questions.

Doc has a lucrative business rubber-stamping the politically-
motivated "mental illness" diagnoses of subordinates by their
managers. Previously, he implied that the manager was *never*
at fault.

Doc now also lectures about the dangers of the "Machiavellian
Leader" which is a complimentary reference to the same sort of
psychopathic senior manager that pays Doc's bills.

In effect, he is saying "I concurred with the diagnosis made by
the senior manager but I now understand that the senior manager
was delusional, not the employee."

This excuse is acceptable, somehow. :)

--Winston<-- Still waiting for apologies

Larry Jaques

Jan 29, 2012, 7:57:10 PM1/29/12
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 12:24:15 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
Other than the obvious "OHMIGOD!" at the time of the diagnosis, what
has it done to you? How has the diagnosis affected your life? I, for
one, would make sure the senior manager got a black mark on his tally
sheet, or whatever the AMA keeps for recording physician prowess (or
lack thereof.)

A written apology from same would be good, too, and keep a copy in the
medical file for good measure.

Winston

Jan 29, 2012, 8:26:36 PM1/29/12
You name it.

My boss's boss and his medical professionals
had me convinced that there was something terribly,
incurably wrong with my thought processes.
They seemed so sure!

I won't whine to you further but it was quite
devastating. I bought a copy of _Final Exit_
for example. (It's a good book but has at
least one significant flaw.)

http://www.finalexit.org/

> How has the diagnosis affected your life?

It's over.

> I, for one, would make sure the senior manager
> got a black mark on his tally sheet, or whatever
> the AMA keeps for recording physician prowess (or
> lack thereof.)

That's the APA, not the AMA.

http://www.apa.org/

They are a poorly organized group of quacks, not
a well - organized group of quacks.

> A written apology from same would be good, too, and keep a copy in the
> medical file for good measure.

Meh. The little psychopath has gotten a significant promotion, I see.

The organization has changed their diagnosis and
has told prospective employers that I'm not mentally
Ill, I'm a terrorist. In a subsequent interview, a
hiring manager asked me if I was really a 'Lone Wolf'. :)

Well, at least I beat Alzheimer's.

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 29, 2012, 9:20:49 PM1/29/12
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:26:36 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
Am I in your will yet? <wink, wink>

>> I, for one, would make sure the senior manager
> > got a black mark on his tally sheet, or whatever
> > the AMA keeps for recording physician prowess (or
>> lack thereof.)
>
>That's the APA, not the AMA.
>
>http://www.apa.org/
>
>They are a poorly organized group of quacks, not
>a well - organized group of quacks.

Oh, shit. You went to a farkin' SHRINK? I've come to believe that
they're only shrinks because they wanted to figure out how to fix all
the long lists of what's wrong with _themselves_...

>> A written apology from same would be good, too, and keep a copy in the
>> medical file for good measure.
>
>Meh. The little psychopath has gotten a significant promotion, I see.

Thought about lawsuits? Y'know, just to put the fear of MAN into him.

>The organization has changed their diagnosis and
>has told prospective employers that I'm not mentally
>Ill, I'm a terrorist.

WHAT?

>In a subsequent interview, a
>hiring manager asked me if I was really a 'Lone Wolf'. :)

Yeah, lawsuit time. (I don't ever want to go there.) They've dealt
you double blows. Dunno 'bout you, but I'd be damned incensed about
it. <sigh>

>Well, at least I beat Alzheimer's.

Um, yeah. The easy way.

--
Life is like one big Mardi Gras. But instead of showing your boobs,
show people your brain, and if they like what they see, you'll have

Winston

Jan 29, 2012, 11:07:54 PM1/29/12
Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)

> Am I in your will yet?<wink, wink>

Larry, you're in a much better position.
You're in my "Won't". :)

(...)

> Oh, shit. You went to a farkin' SHRINK? I've come to believe that
> they're only shrinks because they wanted to figure out how to fix all
> the long lists of what's wrong with _themselves_...

'Had no choice in the matter, Larry.
I'm here to say that only three of the six I talked to
appeared to be sane.

Luckily I avoided their psychiatrist.
I didn't want to be medicated against my will.

>>> A written apology from same would be good, too, and keep a copy in the
>>> medical file for good measure.
>>
>> Meh. The little psychopath has gotten a significant promotion, I see.
>
> Thought about lawsuits? Y'know, just to put the fear of MAN into him.

Lawsuits are for people who can afford their own judge.
That ain't me.

>> The organization has changed their diagnosis and
>> has told prospective employers that I'm not mentally
>> Ill, I'm a terrorist.
>
> WHAT?

Yup. My boss's boss is very good at defamation.

The guy at the paint store refused to sell to me due
to 'security concerns', as he put it. He did not
respond when I asked for clarification.
(Luckily the paint store across the street sold me
my gallon of latex enamel without any problem at all.)

A clerk at the auto supply store presented my
merchandise and asked if I was making a bomb.
He wasn't smiling. :(

The irony is that I really like working and
got a very nice (glowing even) review.

>> In a subsequent interview, a
>> hiring manager asked me if I was really a 'Lone Wolf'. :)
>

> Yeah, lawsuit time. (I don't ever want to go there.) They've dealt
> you double blows. Dunno 'bout you, but I'd be damned incensed about
> it.<sigh>

Anger gets you nothing. :)

>> Well, at least I beat Alzheimer's.
>
> Um, yeah. The easy way.

WooHoo!

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 30, 2012, 8:53:30 AM1/30/12
On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:07:54 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:

>Larry Jaques wrote:
>
>(...)
>
>> Am I in your will yet?<wink, wink>
>
>Larry, you're in a much better position.
>You're in my "Won't". :)

<g> That's a new one on me.

>(...)
>
>> Oh, shit. You went to a farkin' SHRINK? I've come to believe that
>> they're only shrinks because they wanted to figure out how to fix all
>> the long lists of what's wrong with _themselves_...
>
>'Had no choice in the matter, Larry.
>I'm here to say that only three of the six I talked to
>appeared to be sane.

That many?

>Luckily I avoided their psychiatrist.
>I didn't want to be medicated against my will.

Damn! The things the "doctors" can get away with today are looking
more and more like the 1850s.

>>> Meh. The little psychopath has gotten a significant promotion, I see.
>>
>> Thought about lawsuits? Y'know, just to put the fear of MAN into him.
>
>Lawsuits are for people who can afford their own judge.
>That ain't me.

I grok that in its entirety.

>>> The organization has changed their diagnosis and
>>> has told prospective employers that I'm not mentally
>>> Ill, I'm a terrorist.
>>
>> WHAT?
>
>Yup. My boss's boss is very good at defamation.

Have you talked to the local TV crews about this man dissing you and
them? <evil grinne>

>The guy at the paint store refused to sell to me due
>to 'security concerns', as he put it. He did not
>respond when I asked for clarification.
>(Luckily the paint store across the street sold me
>my gallon of latex enamel without any problem at all.)

WHAT? Get an attorney and have him discuss things with the DHS.
Then again, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that everyone here
has been put on some terrorist watch list for working with metal even
once. It's a govvy paranoia thing, I think.

>A clerk at the auto supply store presented my
>merchandise and asked if I was making a bomb.
>He wasn't smiling. :(

Holy Shit, Maynard! What were you purchasing?

>The irony is that I really like working and
>got a very nice (glowing even) review.
>
>>> In a subsequent interview, a
>>> hiring manager asked me if I was really a 'Lone Wolf'. :)
>>

>> Yeah, lawsuit time. (I don't ever want to go there.) They've dealt
>> you double blows. Dunno 'bout you, but I'd be damned incensed about
>> it.<sigh>
>
>Anger gets you nothing. :)

True. <sigh>

>>> Well, at least I beat Alzheimer's.
>>
>> Um, yeah. The easy way.
>
>WooHoo!

Where did that particular "WooHoo" start? I'm hearing it everywhere
nowadays.

P.S: Sorry if it's on topic to the OT message, but did you ever get
your HF watch repair kit?

P.P.S: After reading the above, I see why you're so concerned with
watches.

Winston

Jan 30, 2012, 9:49:08 AM1/30/12
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:07:54 -0800, Winston<Win...@Bigbrother.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Larry Jaques wrote:
>>
>> (...)
>>
>>> Am I in your will yet?<wink, wink>
>>
>> Larry, you're in a much better position.
>> You're in my "Won't". :)
>
> <g> That's a new one on me.

It means you won't be bombarded with
dozens of half-started projects when I
pop off the hooks. <G>

(...)

>>> Oh, shit. You went to a farkin' SHRINK? I've come to believe that
>>> they're only shrinks because they wanted to figure out how to fix all
>>> the long lists of what's wrong with _themselves_...
>>
>> 'Had no choice in the matter, Larry.
>> I'm here to say that only three of the six I talked to
>> appeared to be sane.
>
> That many?

Sure! I got to speak with lots of folks who wanted
to talk about little old me. :)

>> Luckily I avoided their psychiatrist.
>> I didn't want to be medicated against my will.
>
> Damn! The things the "doctors" can get away with today are looking
> more and more like the 1850s.

I admit that was pretty sneaky of my friends at Corporate.

>>> Thought about lawsuits? Y'know, just to put the fear of MAN into him.
>>
>> Lawsuits are for people who can afford their own judge.
>> That ain't me.
>
> I grok that in its entirety.

>>> WHAT?
>>
>> Yup. My boss's boss is very good at defamation.
>
> Have you talked to the local TV crews about this man dissing you and
> them?<evil grinne>

Nah. The outfit is already known in the valley as "The Meatgrinder"
for a reason.

>> The guy at the paint store refused to sell to me due
>> to 'security concerns', as he put it. He did not
>> respond when I asked for clarification.
>> (Luckily the paint store across the street sold me
>> my gallon of latex enamel without any problem at all.)
>
> WHAT? Get an attorney and have him discuss things with the DHS.

Heh! Did I mention that the judges are owned by the Company?

> Then again, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find that everyone here
> has been put on some terrorist watch list for working with metal even
> once. It's a govvy paranoia thing, I think.

This is Winston, posting from a time in history when
machine tools were completely unlicensed.

:)

>> A clerk at the auto supply store presented my
>> merchandise and asked if I was making a bomb.
>> He wasn't smiling. :(
>
> Holy Shit, Maynard! What were you purchasing?

Battery acid to do some copper plating.
Big deal.

>> The irony is that I really like working and
>> got a very nice (glowing even) review.

>>> Yeah, lawsuit time. (I don't ever want to go there.) They've dealt
>>> you double blows. Dunno 'bout you, but I'd be damned incensed about
>>> it.<sigh>
>>
>> Anger gets you nothing. :)
>
> True.<sigh>

>>> Um, yeah. The easy way.
>>
>> WooHoo!
>
> Where did that particular "WooHoo" start? I'm hearing it everywhere
> nowadays.

Humorous exclamation of clueless delight popularized
by cartoon character Homer Simpson.
This utterance entered the popular lexicon starting in
December 17, 1989 at 4:35 PM PST and fell out of favor
by that Tuesday the 19th, shortly before noon.

The expression continued to be used well into the 21st
century by a collection of balding, badly aging, ignorant,
fat white guys that are sure they don't look exactly like
Mssr. Simpson.

WooHoo! :)

> P.S: Sorry if it's on topic to the OT message, but did you ever get
> your HF watch repair kit?

Didn't need it. My reground cheapo screwdriver gets the
backs off the watches, snickety-snack.

> P.P.S: After reading the above, I see why you're so concerned with
> watches.

I'm not overly concerned about 'em.

I haven't worn a watch in about a decade, cause I carry two
PDA devices and a cell phone, all of which have built-in 'watches'.

I was just pleased to get SWMBO's watch running after
the pro's failed so miserably.

--Winston

Larry Jaques

Jan 30, 2012, 1:20:18 PM1/30/12
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:49:08 -0800, Winston <Win...@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:

--snip of nastyasss corporate politics--

>This is Winston, posting from a time in history when
>machine tools were completely unlicensed.
>
>:)
>
>>> A clerk at the auto supply store presented my
>>> merchandise and asked if I was making a bomb.
>>> He wasn't smiling. :(
>>
>> Holy Shit, Maynard! What were you purchasing?
>
>Battery acid to do some copper plating.
>Big deal.

H2SO4 is a totally unrestricted substance at that dilution, innit?
I never had trouble buying it when I was a wrench, but that was before
9/11.

>> Where did that particular "WooHoo" start? I'm hearing it everywhere
>> nowadays.
>
>Humorous exclamation of clueless delight popularized
>by cartoon character Homer Simpson.
>This utterance entered the popular lexicon starting in
>December 17, 1989 at 4:35 PM PST and fell out of favor
>by that Tuesday the 19th, shortly before noon.
>
>The expression continued to be used well into the 21st
>century by a collection of balding, badly aging, ignorant,
>fat white guys that are sure they don't look exactly like
>Mssr. Simpson.
>
>WooHoo! :)

LSHIAPMP. Thanks.

>> P.S: Sorry if it's on topic to the OT message, but did you ever get
>> your HF watch repair kit?
>
>Didn't need it. My reground cheapo screwdriver gets the
>backs off the watches, snickety-snack.
>
>> P.P.S: After reading the above, I see why you're so concerned with
>> watches.
>
>I'm not overly concerned about 'em.

As a new business, I meant. Neeever mind.

Winston

Jan 30, 2012, 3:05:31 PM1/30/12
Larry Jaques wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 06:49:08 -0800, Winston<Win...@Bigbrother.net>
> wrote:

(...)

> H2SO4 is a totally unrestricted substance at that dilution, innit?

It must be, cause I purchased the jug and was not
cuffed in the parking lot. :)

> I never had trouble buying it when I was a wrench, but that was before
> 9/11.

That's what makes this so bizarre.

'Last time I bought battery acid, it was a regular old
normal exchange of money for product. No questions,
no drama.

Weird.

>>> Where did that particular "WooHoo" start? I'm hearing it everywhere
>>> nowadays.
>>
>> Humorous exclamation of clueless delight popularized
>> by cartoon character Homer Simpson.
>> This utterance entered the popular lexicon starting in
>> December 17, 1989 at 4:35 PM PST and fell out of favor
>> by that Tuesday the 19th, shortly before noon.
>>
>> The expression continued to be used well into the 21st
>> century by a collection of balding, badly aging, ignorant,
>> fat white guys that are sure they don't look exactly like
>> Mssr. Simpson.
>>
>> WooHoo! :)
>
> LSHIAPMP. Thanks.

Steady on, old fella! :)

(...)

>>> P.P.S: After reading the above, I see why you're so concerned with
>>> watches.
>>
>> I'm not overly concerned about 'em.
>
> As a new business, I meant. Neeever mind.

Oh! Gotcha.

Neah, I'm not fast enough to turn a profit at that.
Find me a source of free clear heart redwood and PS Doug fir 4x4s?
I could correct many fence-building 'wrongs' in this neighborhood.

--Winston