Plasma cut plastic between metal

who writes

Nov 3, 2000, 6:28:19 AM11/3/00
Might high production rates be acheived with acrylic plate between two layers
of grounded inexpensive sheet metal or even foil, using a plamsa cutter
(transferred arc cutter) to blow through the plastic?

Yours,

Doug Goncz
Replikon Research (Seven Corners, VA)

Remembering Linda Newbery 1959-10-19 - 2000-09-22
http://members.aol.com/DGoncz/www.fahs.org_lguestbook.htm

Ted Edwards

Nov 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/5/00
who writes wrote:

> Might high production rates be acheived with acrylic plate between two layers
> of grounded inexpensive sheet metal or even foil, using a plamsa cutter
> (transferred arc cutter) to blow through the plastic?

Have you actually done this? How thick was the acrylic? TIA

Ted

who writes

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
I propose doing it. I've read here that trying this with plywood would be
impractical. But acrylic in 1/2 is hard to cut on a table saw. Not at all
impossible. Just awkward. And CNC plasma cutting of complex shapes is possible.
So it made sense to me to laminate foil to the plastic and ground the foil as
the arc return. No, I haven't tried it.

Did I just invent a new material? Foil or metal covered plastic for plasma
cutters?

>Have you actually done this? How thick was the acrylic?

The fumes would be terrible, but plastic's all one substance, so it should just
vaporize. I guess it could condense on everything nearby.

Bert

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
"Bigshadow" <bigs...@neiljensen.org> wrote:

>I tried several materials underneath a piece of aluminum foil due to a
>thread called stupid plasma tricks, I managed to cut glass but anything
>flammable such as acrylic bursts into flames

I've been curious about cutting glass with a plasma cutter. Did you
just use ordinary plate glass? What kind of edge did you get? Any
problems with the glass cracking from the uneven heating? Did you try
anything besides aluminum foil as the ground? Thanks.

Bert

Bigshadow

Nov 6, 2000, 8:37:33 PM11/6/00
Ted Edwards <Te...@bc.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> who writes wrote:
>
> > Might high production rates be acheived with acrylic plate between two
layers
> > of grounded inexpensive sheet metal or even foil, using a plamsa cutter
> > (transferred arc cutter) to blow through the plastic?
>
> Have you actually done this? How thick was the acrylic? TIA
>
> Ted

Bob Michael

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
I tried this the last time the thread went around. The foil tended to
blow away and the glass cracked instantly. It was window glass. I'm not
saying it isn't possible, but it seemed to have a low potential of
working for the amount of hassle.

Bob

In article <qr2f0t8eumjn6412l...@4ax.com>,
no_...@thank.you wrote:

> "Bigshadow" <bigs...@neiljensen.org> wrote:
>
> >I tried several materials underneath a piece of aluminum foil due to a
> >thread called stupid plasma tricks, I managed to cut glass but anything
> >flammable such as acrylic bursts into flames

Bigshadow

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
I also tried lit gauge sheet metal, it was ordinary window glass and It was
a poor cut but you get some big eyes when you tell how you did it, I could
not see any practical use other than winning a six-pack now and then