Zeppelin Bend

Ted Martin

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
eri...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering if anyone here has any real world experience with the "Zeppelin
> Bend"? Good, bad or otherwise...
>
> Playing with it around the house, the more I see it, the more I'm starting to
> like it. I haven't been able to purposely make it jam or slip, even in small
> stuff almost pulled to breaking...
>
> It seems easy to remember, at least using Brion Toss's method in "The Riggers
> Apprentice" (fig.73), and has very good non-catchy "lead", also mentioned by
> Toss.
>
> Something else I've noticed, is that it looks like it might(?) even be OK with
> dissimilar sized lines (within reason...).
>
> On the "con" side, it seems to not be as "secure" as the Ashley Bend, (ABOK#
> 1452), but not bad by any means...
>
> I just don't know if it has any nasty idiosyncrasies, and/or other "whoa's"
> one should be aware of...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bob B.

Is the zeppelin bend also called the hunters bend?
Ted Martin

eri...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

eri...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
In article <361226...@mergetel.com>,
mar...@mergetel.com wrote:

> Is the zeppelin bend also called the hunters bend?
> Ted Martin

No, It's a completely different bend, though they do both look similar at a
quick glance...

Bob

H. Paul Jacobson

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 eri...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> > Is the zeppelin bend also called the hunters bend?

> No, It's a completely different bend, though they do both look similar at a
> quick glance...

G Budworth in 'The Complete Book of Knots' writes regarding the zeppelin
bend:
'The is probably the best of a whole trustworthy family of symmetrical
bends comprising two interlocking overhand knots.'

B Toss describes several of these. I prefer the one he calls the Strait
Bend, mainly because it is, for some reason, easier for me to remember.
Harry Asher (The Alternative Knot Book) describes more of these, He
points out that Toss's Strait knot is just a bend version of the Alpine
Butterfly Knot (which incidently is a another good knot for isolating a
weak portion of line).

In Asher's way of systematically describing these bends, the Hunters bend
(also called a Riggers) is "RR,UP-Opp;U&D Centre, Doesn't Cross".
The Zeppelin is "RL,Light over Dark;U&D Centre,Doesn't Cross"
One starts with two righthand loops, the other with a right and left.

A mathematician wrote a book not too long ago in which he tried to list
all variants of symmetrical bends, and (of course) classify them according
to types of symmetry, crossing etc. I think he came up with some 60
bends. I found in the university's math library. I could look up the
reference if anyone is interested.

Paul

Peter W. Meek

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
On Fri, 2 Oct 1998 15:42:34 -0700, "H. Paul Jacobson" <hp...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

>A mathematician wrote a book not too long ago in which he tried to list
>all variants of symmetrical bends, and (of course) classify them according
>to types of symmetry, crossing etc. I think he came up with some 60
>bends. I found in the university's math library. I could look up the
>reference if anyone is interested.

There is a reference to this book in the r.c.k-FAQ which
is referenced in my sig.

--
--Pete
pwm...@mail.msen.com (Peter W. Meek)

Tim Kerby

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Hi
I've used the zeppelin bend for pulling cars. You make a loop through
the two rings attatched to each car and tie with the bend. And what
amazes people is it can be rolled out even after being put under so much
strain. It also pulls itself together which helps if it is tied
loosely.

Tim Kerby