Suggesions for plate glass "BB" hole repair?

Bob Duchesneau

Nov 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/7/99
If it was me I would put a BB hole in a practice piece of similar glass,
enlarge the hole with the side of a fine grade glass grinder diamond drill,
cut and grind to near perfection a replacement blank and glue in place with
a clear glue or silicone made for glass.

You might be able to do a little design work over the repair to further hide
it.

You might try reproducing the missing cone shaped piece by using a BB gun at
several ranges on a piece of similar glass. A nicely fitting plug could then
be glued in place.

Bob in 92026

David Gersic

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
I have a glass piece with a BB hole in it. Are there any good products
available to fill in and repair the hole? I'm not a glass worker, so
sources for any products would be appreciated.

If you're curious, I'm restoring a pinball machine. The damaged glass is
the backglass. I believe I can repair the artwork (silkscreened on the
glass itself) once the hole is filled in.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |
| In her off hours, Tasha Yar maintained a Data Entry position. |
| |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

April

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
Hi, Some repair glass places can repair pitted windshields of cars, why
not that?
April

victo...@my-deja.com

Nov 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/8/99
In article <38271EDC...@ganymede.cs.mun.ca>,
Remove the glass, lay it flat and infuse and fill the hole with "hexla"
epoxy. It dries clear and very strong. For more info go to
www.hisglassworks.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Gersic

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
In <805qli$6egq$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "Bob Duchesneau" <bo...@prodigy.net> writes:
>If it was me I would put a BB hole in a practice piece of similar glass,

I've got an old framed window just to practice on. Gotta find a kid with a
BB gun I can borrow for a few minutes, though.

>enlarge the hole with the side of a fine grade glass grinder diamond drill,
>cut and grind to near perfection a replacement blank and glue in place with
>a clear glue or silicone made for glass.

Hmm. Haven't got the grinder for this, nor probably the skill to do it. Any
idea where I might find somebody that would be willing to do something like
this?

>You might be able to do a little design work over the repair to further hide
>it.

Unfortunatly not, the artwork there is a solid (orange) colour with no
other break in the design. I'm pretty sure it's opaque, though, which
should be a lot easier to touch up than if it was (is) in one of the
translucent areas.

>You might try reproducing the missing cone shaped piece by using a BB gun at
>several ranges on a piece of similar glass. A nicely fitting plug could then
>be glued in place.

Any suggestions on the brand or type of glue?

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. Einstein. |

David Gersic

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
In <38271EDC...@ganymede.cs.mun.ca>, April <ti...@ganymede.cs.mun.ca> writes:
>Hi, Some repair glass places can repair pitted windshields of cars, why
>not that?

Thought about that, but now that I'm looking for the stuff I can't seem to
find anybody around here that is selling it. I've got a few more places to
look, but it used to be in every store and now doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Does this actually work in the real world? I've never tried it before.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. - Jack Handy |

David Gersic

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
In <807o2t$qle$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, victo...@my-deja.com writes:
>Remove the glass, lay it flat and infuse and fill the hole with "hexla"
>epoxy. It dries clear and very strong. For more info go to
>www.hisglassworks.com

Thanks, I'll go have a look there. Does this "hexla" stuff stay clear?
Other epoxies I've used in the past have turned yellow after a couple of
years, so I wasn't going to use one.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| DEC has it now! Unfortunately, it's on back order. |

Bert Weiss

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
David

Unless I'm mistaken Victor is referring to Hextal. Hextal is the purest
epoxy ever developed. It has the same refractive index as regular
glass. You would have to cover up the hole securely as hextal is thin
and will leak right out. You will need a triple beam balance to weigh
the two parts of the epoxy. Hextal takes a week to set up. Last I knew
it cost $1000 for a gallon, but there was a $60 kit available. It is
used to fill cracks in cracked glass, or to glue two pieces of glass
back together. It works best filling a crack. When the glue cures the
crack becomes invisible, if you filled the crack entirely. When glueing
two pieces of glass together you can tell it is stuck back together. It
is also used to laminate multiple layers of glass. I haven't actually
seen it used in your type of application. I would speak to a dealer
about their experience with this app. Try HIS glassworks

The windshield repair guys use a UV glue. They have various vacuum
devices to get it to fill a crack. In my area there is a franchise of a
company called novus windshield repair. They could tell you if it can
be done.

The test piece idea is a good one. At least you won't make the good
piece ruined more with an experiment.

--
Bert Weiss

Bert Weiss Glass Studio
http://www.customartglass.com
Painted Art Glass
Custom Productions
Architectural and Sculptural Cast Glass
Collaborative Art Glass
Lighting design

Wolfebas

Nov 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/9/99
Hxtal can be mixed measuring parts A and B by volume. An accurate balance is
not required. The proportions don't have to be exact. Increasing the
proportion of hardener (B) speeds the set. I don't know what Hxtal's limits
are in this way, but it clearly can tolerate some variation in its proportions.

John Bassett
John and Christina

David Gersic

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
In <382823E9...@customartglass.com>, Bert Weiss <be...@customartglass.com> writes:
>Unless I'm mistaken Victor is referring to Hextal. Hextal is the purest
>epoxy ever developed. It has the same refractive index as regular
>glass. You would have to cover up the hole securely as hextal is thin
>and will leak right out.

I'm looking at the info on hisglassworks.com web site now. My experience
with epoxies says that they stick to pretty much everything. What doesn't
this Hxtal epoxy stick to that could be used to cover the hole and keep it
from running out the bottom on me?

This stuff looks like a pretty good deal. If it works, I'm in it for $50
for the 1/4 lb. kit, which is a lot cheaper than replacing the glass (about
$200), assuming that I can find one.

| |
|David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu |
|Systems Programmer Northern Illinois University |
| |

| I love my country. I FEAR my government... |

Ric Rokosz

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
David Gersic (dgersic_@_niu.edu) wrote:

: >enlarge the hole with the side of a fine grade glass grinder diamond drill,

: >cut and grind to near perfection a replacement blank and glue in place with
: >a clear glue or silicone made for glass.

: Hmm. Haven't got the grinder for this, nor probably the skill to do it. Any
: idea where I might find somebody that would be willing to do something like
: this?

Go to a lapidary (rock store) outlet and get some very fine abrasive
grains say 220 and use a nail head to slowly grind into the glass.Use
water as a lubricant.

: >You might try reproducing the missing cone shaped piece by using a BB gun at

: >several ranges on a piece of similar glass. A nicely fitting plug could then
: >be glued in place.

: Any suggestions on the brand or type of glue?

LePages makes a UV curing glue called "Togehter" formulated for glass.You
may have to special order it.Stays clear for years,then goes a very
slight yellow-orange.

Ric

victo...@my-deja.com

Nov 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/10/99
In article <80b15d$gq0$2...@husk.cso.niu.edu>,

To keep it from running out, tape the bottom of the hole very well. To
prevent the epoxy from running out the sides of the glass, I use heated
dental wax and push it into the sides. Always put a layer of plastic
wrap (saran wrap) under the piece incase the glus runs out, it won't
stick to the table. If you can glue on a light box, the epoxy will set
up faster.

Bert Weiss

Nov 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/11/99
Dave

A few years ago when I messed around with the epoxy I used silicone
coated paper to catch drips etc. It might be difficult to make that into
a sealed space however if you duct tape some under the hole it may work
to isolate the hole. You have a week before it sets up hard so you have
some time to scrape up problems.

Back then there was only one outlet for Hxtal. They are no longer in
business. Today, there are several think. I would call up HIS and ask
to speak with somebody who has a clue.

I posted this yesterday, but it didn't show up on my browser. Sorry if
it shows up twice on yours