St. Pat's brewnazi, gigadittos!

Lynne O'Connor

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
Roger Barnaby had a bad shopping experience at St. Pat’s. He seems
to have forgotten his calming presence as demonstrated by “none of your
f...ing business, bitch” or “you f...ing bitch” or “you’re an arrogant
bitch”. Roger threw in a few other special words just for serenity.
Incidentally, the most recent special request for the very special Mr.
Barnaby was impossible to make to the desired dimensions. There are a
few things Roger relayed correctly. I did insisit that he leave and I
was going to call the
police.

“Let no man say his reputation is dubious, for there is no doubt about
it.” some Irish writer

Let me respond in a more general way to some of the points about St.
Pat’s. First let me note these posts were from the Fourth of July
weekend. While these guys were slammin’ St. Pat’s I was drinking beer
at Waterloo Friday night, drinking beer and eating barbeque Saturday
afternoon, watched fireworks that night while drinking Liberty Ale at
the suggestion of Michael Jackson who wrote an article for the London
Times about beers for the Fourth, (has anyone seen this yet?), followed
by more beer at Waterloo and Bitter End. We rested on Sunday with a 2
liter krug of German beer while working at the new warehouse followed by
a bottle of chardonnay as a nightcap. Get a life fellas.

At its worst, RCB has a certain talk radio feel
about it. ‘st pats sucks good buddy, megadittos!’ or ‘I just hate that
brewnazi bitch at st pats, megamegadittos on that good buddy!’ (Just
between us girls, I’m drinking a beer having a good laugh at this
particular moment--join me.)

1. Jonathon complained about an order he never placed and a homebrew
supplier he has never visited. I want to apologize for all the
suffering I have inflicted on all the Jonathons
who are still waiting for the orders they have yet to place. (I’ll get
right on ‘em!!) I receive about 2 calls a week from people like
Jonathon who have no interest in ordering and who are simply phoning in
their little quiz. Time spent failing Jonathon’s little quiz is time
not spent helping good people.

2. It is true we have a “No Butts” button on our customer database. (It
is a cigarette lying in the red line thru circle. We affectionately
refer to this as our Buttlist.) We have used the button 25 times in the
past 4 years, Roger being the latest inductee.
There are 9,521 people in the database who have not been so honored.
These are customers of the past 2 years; catalog requests are not
entered. You can get ticked off and yell at me and even exagerate even
when you are wrong--hell my husband was born that way. But there is a
limit.

2. Several years ago, Fritz Maytag told me his beer was not for
everyone. Neither is St.Pats. I want customers of integrity and
character-- the vast majority.

3. I have never misled or lied or deceived any customer on any issue
whatsoever. I will not tell you to do a protein rest with modern
malt. I have read Kunze, Narziss (latest issue of Brauwelt), and other
brewing scientists on this issue. I will never tell
you not to do a protein rest--unless you ask. It would be dishonest of
me to say otherwise. The recommendation of protein rest with modern
malt, particularly munich malt, demonstrates ignorance and came from
the same shop that presented statistical evidence for the superiority of
dry yeast over Wyeast.

4. The vast majority of our orders are shipped within one day. We have
always been the leader in this area and in fact have improved in the
past 7 months. There are occasions when orders take longer,
particularly items which must be manufactured or lately kegs (we are
behind on checking them out.) I am waiting for a response from the
fellow from Harlingen who had trouble with 8 of 10 orders. I contacted
all but one of my customers in Harlingen yesterday by phone and all
swear they are happy with our service. (One guy responded "He can't be
from Harlingen because we all love you here. He's giving Harlingen a
bad name.") The only one left is GUESS WHAT a guy who stiffed us on two
orders and is indeed already an inductee into the Buttlist of 25.

4. Everyone (of character) is treated the same regardless of how much
money they spend. I have several multimillionares and numerous
penniless students as customers. Barnaby spent several hundred dollars
at St. Pat’s. On his way out he was threatening to buy another pot,
several hundred dollars more. I don’t cotton to threats.

I have long felt that St. Pat’s is superior on the following points.
Price
Selection
Quality
Service
Knowledge
Integrity
(did I mention Confidence? )

I want to thank Harry Hagar of Amber Waves (Georgia) for his nice
comments. Harry and I are competitors and we have bought and sold some
items to each other over the years. We got drunk at Waterloo Brewing in
Austin several years ago. I like and respect him because he got drunk
with me (and because he’s an honest guy).

Jonathon writes “If St. Pat’s continues treating customers this way they
won’t be in operation long.”
Welllllllll Jonathon, I started this business with $1200 in a 2
bedroom apartment with 3 boys in 1991 in California. In 1992 our
competitors in Texas
tried to organize a boycott of several suppliers that sold to us
including Wyeast and
Briess and it even extended to breweries that used their products such
as Celis, Waterloo Brewing, ... Only one of the core of people who
organized that boycott are still in brewing in any way. Meanwhile, St.
Pat’s suffered thru being the largest homebrew supplier in America for 5
consecutive years. Furthermore, we have experienced the greatest surge
in sales ever in the past 8 months (while raising prices and lowering
advertising) during a time when every report indicates a decline in
sales at established competitors. We are building our 7,000 square
foot ‘stupor sore’ and warehouse to our existing warehouse that will
open this fall. Rest
assured fellas, you will have numerous opportunities to bash St. Pat’s
on holidays for years to come.

da’ bitch
http://stpats.com
by the way, our on-line ordering is up and running
stp...@wixer.bga.com

“You couldn’t satisfy him if you hung him with a new rope.” my Irish
father-in-law

mrpo...@friedspam.mindspring.com

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
Lynne O'Connor <stp...@wixer.bga.com> wrote:

>Jonathon who have no interest in ordering and who are simply phoning in
>their little quiz. Time spent failing Jonathon’s little quiz is time
>not spent helping good people.

actually, when i called, i was going to drop about $600 on an all
grain system but just wanted to ask some basic questions about your
mash/lauter tun setups, polarware pots, and propane burners. you know,
basic question anyone would want to ask before droping a large amount
of money. but, your attitude ticked me off so much i spent the money
at homebrew adventures where they treated me like a valued customer
and answered all my questions without a hint of sarcasm or the bitchy
tone you used.

am i not a good person for asking legitimate and intelligent questions
about your products before i hand over my credit card number? should i
blindly buy your products? i was all ready to order from your company
until your attitude made me turn elsewhere. why couldn't you just have
answered my questions without sarcasm so i could feel better about the
products i was buying from 1,000 miles away??? is it too hard to treat
your customers with some sort of respect? if so, you are in the wrong
buisiness.

>2. Several years ago, Fritz Maytag told me his beer was not for
>everyone. Neither is St.Pats. I want customers of integrity and
>character-- the vast majority.

strange...i'd want a supplier of with the same qualities. i'd want a
supplier who was good at customer relations. i'd want a knowledgeable
and intelligent supplier who could communicate. the vast majority of
homebrew supply stores fit into this mold. except, of course, st
pat's.

>Jonathon writes “If St. Pat’s continues treating customers this way they
>won’t be in operation long.”
>Welllllllll Jonathon, I started this business with $1200 in a 2
>bedroom apartment with 3 boys in 1991 in California. In 1992 our
>competitors in Texas
>tried to organize a boycott of several suppliers that sold to us
>including Wyeast and
>Briess and it even extended to breweries that used their products such
>as Celis, Waterloo Brewing, ... Only one of the core of people who
>organized that boycott are still in brewing in any way. Meanwhile, St.
>Pat’s suffered thru being the largest homebrew supplier in America for 5
>consecutive years. Furthermore, we have experienced the greatest surge
>in sales ever in the past 8 months (while raising prices and lowering
>advertising) during a time when every report indicates a decline in
>sales at established competitors. We are building our 7,000 square
>foot ‘stupor sore’ and warehouse to our existing warehouse that will
>open this fall. Rest
>assured fellas, you will have numerous opportunities to bash St. Pat’s
>on holidays for years to come.

actually, i'm not bashing st. pat's...just relating my bad experience
with your company and you in particular. and from your post, i get a
better idea where you are coming from. rest assured, if you continue
to treat customers the way you've treated those who have posted here,
word will get around and your buisiness will suffer. this is too
specialized of a market for you to be able to treat people like shit
and expect to stay in buisiness.

Steve Moore

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
Lynne O'Connor wrote:

> organized that boycott are still in brewing in any way. Meanwhile, St.
> Pat’s suffered thru being the largest homebrew supplier in America for 5
> consecutive years. Furthermore, we have experienced the greatest surge

And Sam Adams is the "Best Beer in America", too. I've
heard this hype for quite a few years, Lynne. The only time
I've ever heard you offer any kind of justification for it
was on a radio show during the Texas Brewer's Festival, a
couple years ago. It was something along the lines of "We
sell more Wyeast than anyone else". Given that there are a
lot of yeast alternatives; including but not limited to
Yeastlabs, Whitelabs, various dry yeasts, culturing your
own and begging some from the local brewery; Wyeast is
hardly essential to the homebrewing process. Wyeast sales
do not the biggest store make. Until your 3 million sq ft
store opens in the fall, you certainly don't have the most
floor space. Byron Burch or even that store in Houston
(that you once unjustifiably claimed sells contaminated
yeast in your catalog) visibly have more. Every homebrew
store that I know of is privately held and does not
disclose financial figures, so you certainly can't make a
claim on that basis.

I can't really comment on all the complaints from your
customers, except to note that where there's smoke, there's
usually fire. However, I've seen the St. Pat's catalog make
these claims based on specious reasoning, trash your
competitors and denegrate top-quality products that you
don't carry (Maris Otter anyone?). So in spite of your
claims that St. Pat's really is the largest, best informed,
and nicest smelling shop around, I'll manage to carry on
without it.

Cheers,

Steve

barn...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
An open letter from Roger Barnaby, for what's it is worth,

I never said what Lynne O'Connor attributed to me in the paragraph below.
These are out and out lies. I realize that this is a he says/she says
situation, and impossible to verify or disprove at this point in time.
However, those that know me would have difficulty in believing that I behaved
in the manner in which I am accused.

Previous to my visit to Lynne's shop on that ill-fated day, I had no major
problems with St. Pats and planned on continuing to be a customer. I stopped
by to purchase a pick up tube that I had ordered in person the previous week,
and was promised, by Lynne, that it would be ready the following day. When
Lynne later informed me that they did not/could not make the pickup tube as I
requested, I stated that I wished that St. Pats. had called to let me know,
to save me the trip. If it was impossible to make, as you state below, tell
me. I can easily make the part on my own from copper tubing, I just preferred
stainless steel.

Immediately after the above exchange, Lynne accused me of spreading rumors
that St. Pats. brew pots/pickup tube assemblies were no good and that I was
dissing St. Pats. at your competitor's shop. This is not true, and I told you
this several times. Why don't you call them to inquire? It is not fair to
accuse me of doing something which you do not know to be fact. When you
failed to believe me, I told you that you have an attitude problem, which I
(and apparently others) believe to be the case. No 'bitch' or 'fucking' word
was said by me, contrary to your assertion.

At that point, you asked me to leave the premises and I immediately headed
for the door. You physically pushed me and said that you were going to call
the police. I felt that I had maintained a calm demeanor up to that point.
However, I did lose my temper as I was walking towards my car, and do admit
to calling you a bitch at that time. As far as I was concerned, you had
pushed me too far, and I did not deserve this treatment.

To repeat, I never stated "none of your fucking business, bitch" nor "you
fucking bitch" nor "you're an arrogant bitch." Nor other "special words just
for serenity." Only upon leaving your shop, after being forcibly ejected and
threatened with the police, did I use the word "bitch" one time. I am not
proud of this, but am capable of losing my temper if provoked. In no way did
I deserve the above treatment.

Also, I take issue with your cryptic statement that I was threatening to buy
another pot upon leaving. I did not say this and don't understand your point.

Roger Barnaby

Lynne O'Connor <stp...@wixer.bga.com> wrote:

> Roger Barnaby had a bad shopping experience at St. Pat’s. He seems
> to have forgotten his calming presence as demonstrated by “none of your
> f...ing business, bitch” or “you f...ing bitch” or “you’re an arrogant
> bitch”. Roger threw in a few other special words just for serenity.
> Incidentally, the most recent special request for the very special Mr.
> Barnaby was impossible to make to the desired dimensions. There are a
> few things Roger relayed correctly. I did insisit that he leave and I
> was going to call the
> police.

Cookie Monster

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Steve Moore <s...@pdq.net> writes:

>Lynne O'Connor wrote:

>> organized that boycott are still in brewing in any way. Meanwhile, St.
>> Pat's suffered thru being the largest homebrew supplier in America for 5
>> consecutive years. Furthermore, we have experienced the greatest surge

>And Sam Adams is the "Best Beer in America", too. I've

>heard this hype for quite a few years, Lynne. The only time
>I've ever heard you offer any kind of justification for it
>was on a radio show during the Texas Brewer's Festival, a
>couple years ago. It was something along the lines of "We
>sell more Wyeast than anyone else".

>fire. However, I've seen the St. Pat's catalog make
>these claims based on specious reasoning, trash your
>competitors and denegrate top-quality products that you
>don't carry (Maris Otter anyone?).

I can relate my experiences and impression along the same lines.
The catalog I have (and Lynne's post for that matter) contains
variants of "we're the best/biggest/smartest" and "everyone else
is clueless and behind the times" on nearly every page. What gives
-- why not just sell great stuff at competitive prices and stop
puffing yourself up and trashing other shops? Could it have
something to do with the in-stock selection not being anything to
write home about? The catalog I have (and my experience from trying
to buy the ingredients for an IPA the one time I was in St. Pats
downtown location when I was visting Austin) has a pretty minimal
variety of hops. The justification? In effect, the catalog and
the employee I spoke with on my one buying trip, both say that a
lot of varieties are identical, so we only carry a few distinct
varieties. Hm, well, I wanted Perle but was offered
Norther Brewer as a substitute. I'm not sure they're so identical that you
can willy-nilly put one in place of the other (I'm sure Anchor
Brewing wouldn't do it), but they are similar. Hey, for what it's
worth, if you really wanted to cut your hop inventory to the bare
minimum, just carry Saaz, E. Kent Goldings, and Cascade -- the hop
plug selection of St. Pats. Everything else is just a variant on
one of these three right? Not. By the way, St. Pats doesn't stock
whole flower hops in any variety.

Let's quote from the web page:

"St. Pat's is arguably America's largest homebrew supplier, largest
distributor of Wyeast since 1993 for example. We serve homebrewers
on a daily basis from Austin to virtually every corner of the
world."

Here's their take on hops. Notice the particular emphasis on we're
the best, other shops suck at the end:
"There are many hop varieties which we don't carry because they
are nearly identical to another in flavor. For example, Mt. Hood,
Liberty, Ultra, and Crystal are all Hallertau-type with similar
flavors. The reason many varieties are grown is because of agricultural
advantages, e.g., higher yields or resistance to wilt. In the next
couple of years there will be several Saaz-type and Tettnang-type
varieties introduced as well. We stock a nice variety of hop flavors
while insuring that all are refrigerated and come directly from
the hop processor. This requires 8 freezers. Most shops don't have
this capacity but carry more varieties by purchasing small quantities
from a wholesaler. We are not aware of a single wholesaler which
refrigerates all hops. We have made the choice not to sacrifice
quality in the name of redundant variety."

Well, for my money, a retailer who stocks a full selection of quality
ingredients and sells them at a good price is better than one that
goes on and on about how great they are and how the other guys suck.
Attitude loses.

cm
--
The world is so full
Of a number of things

Terry Stinger

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
What happened to "The customer is always right!"???

I guess Lynne O'Connor does not agree with this
old expression.

I am not a St. Pats customer. Before this, I never really
thought about it.
I don't care who did what. Did he call you names?
Did you push him out the door?
Who cares!!!
Lynne, you have a dissatisfied customer and
this is how you treat him. You publicly defame him
while boasting of your high customer base and high volume
of sales (a terrible time for a sales pitch). The fact that you
post a reply at all implicates you as being defensive.

I'm just looking at this as a nonbias reader. But, as for me,
I will NEVER buy anything from St. Pat's. Call me silly!

I wonder how everybody else feels???

Jay Flaherty

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
barn...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> An open letter from Roger Barnaby, for what's it is worth,
>
> I never said what Lynne O'Connor attributed to me in the paragraph below.
> These are out and out lies. I realize that this is a he says/she says
> situation, and impossible to verify or disprove at this point in time.
> However, those that know me would have difficulty in believing that I behaved
> in the manner in which I am accused.

It _is_ a he said/she said situation. I will accuse you of one thing,
airing your dirty laundry in a public forum. Whatever problem you had
with Lynn should be kept between you and her, otherwise it approaches
slander. Lynn's reply was nothing to write home about either. You both
come across as arrogant and self centered. I have this vision in my
head; two children sitting in a sandbox in diaper pants throwing sand at
each other and crying foul. And whats with all the band wagon jumping?
I've heard nothing but good things from this list about St. Pats (I've
never had any problems myself) now everybody wants to gripe thier two
cents. As James H. said in a previous post:

>It's good that people will post about experiences that they had at brew
>shops, good or bad, but I think alot of us are getting tired of all the
>bitchin' about this shop. Some of the things that have been said about >this place are not far from slanderous, and that could end someone up >on the wrong side of a lawsuit. No offense but unless someone's name is Papazian or Miller I am not going to take what they say as fact, I >will use the information provided as part of my decision to do business >there or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Happy brewing...jay

Jay Flaherty f...@utk.edu
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if
you look at it right" - R. Hunter

Kevin Kramer

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
I have read all the posts and, MAN, I would never shop
their if they were the only game in town! I am very glad
that I have a place like The Northern Brewer to shop at
locally. It is obvious that they (NB) are in this for the
fun and the beer (and a bit of cash too of course) not
for stroking themselves as Lynne seems to need to do.

I personally am in this hobby for the sheer fun of it, and
attitudes like Lynne's would suck all the fun right out, especially
if I would have patronized the place, which surely would
never happen now.

Kevin

Matt Arnold

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
On Tue, 07 Jul 1998 08:10:43 -0600, Lynne O'Connor <stp...@wixer.bga.com>
wrote:

>At its worst, RCB has a certain talk radio feel

>about it. ‘st pats sucks good buddy, megadittos!’ or ‘I just hate that
>brewnazi bitch at st pats, megamegadittos on that good buddy!’ (Just
>between us girls, I’m drinking a beer having a good laugh at this
>particular moment--join me.)

I hope I'm not the only one who found this more than a bit ironic.

Please do us R.C.B.ers a favor. Take this to email. Keep it there. Both sides.
Go away. Quickly. Please. Or I'll throw you under Rush Limbaugh.

Matt

George Cooley

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Ms. O'Connor,

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"? Roger Barnaby
apparently had some complaints about your service. The fact that I have
read several similar complaints here would make me suspect that he wasn't
completely making these up. But even if he was, you are still in the wrong
here.
The fact that a customer actually got *this* mad at you inside of
your store tells me that you did something wrong. If it's true that
he said these things, you should be mortified that you might have done
something to provoke it. You should be completely re-examining your
business practices from the bottom up. You should be continually asking
yourself "what could I have done to have prevented this" until you come up
with an answer, and then use that answer to improve yourself and your
business. You should do your best to make restitution to Roger Barnaby
in an attempt to retain his business, and if you lost him as a customer
for good, you should figure out how to keep from losing more customers in a
similar way.
Instead, you seem to have added his name to some sort of blacklist (why?),
and then attempted to defend this decision on rec.crafts.brewing with a long,
rambling, arrogant, argumentative missive that only convinces me further
that you are in the wrong.

Based on your message alone, I will never patronize your "store."
You sound like an absolutely awful human being that I would never want to
meet, let alone do business with. If you really hate people in general
as much as your post makes it seem you do, you should not be involved in
any way with customer service.

I hope you take my comments they way they are intended, as constructive
criticism.

Lynne O'Connor <stp...@wixer.bga.com> wrote:

]
] Roger Barnaby had a bad shopping experience at St. Pat's. He seems

] to have forgotten his calming presence as demonstrated by "none of your
] f...ing business, bitch" or "you f...ing bitch" or "you're an arrogant
] bitch". Roger threw in a few other special words just for serenity.
] Incidentally, the most recent special request for the very special Mr.
] Barnaby was impossible to make to the desired dimensions. There are a
] few things Roger relayed correctly. I did insisit that he leave and I
] was going to call the police.

<snip>

Steve Moore

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
Jay Flaherty wrote:

> barn...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> >
> >It's good that people will post about experiences that they had at brew
> >shops, good or bad, but I think alot of us are getting tired of all the
> >bitchin' about this shop. Some of the things that have been said about >this place are not far from slanderous, and that could end someone up >on the wrong side of a lawsuit. No offense but unless someone's name is Papazian or Miller I am not going to take what they say as fact, I >will use the information provided as part of my decision to do business >there or not.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree.

Anybody who admits to taking everything Charlie Papazian
says as fact has revealed a whole lot about the depth of
their brewing knowledge.

Cheers,

Steve

mrpo...@hotmail.com

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <35a3b2d8...@news.ez-net.com>,

semp...@i.dont.like.spam.org (Matt Arnold) wrote:

> Please do us R.C.B.ers a favor. Take this to email. Keep it there. Both sides.
> Go away. Quickly. Please. Or I'll throw you under Rush Limbaugh.

hmmm, no i won't go away. ha! seriously, if you don't like the thread then
either put it in your kill file if you have one or ignore it if you don't.
it's not that hard to do. reviews and experiences from homebrew suppliers-
both good and bad- should be aired and this is the right forum for it if i've
ever seen one.

jonathan

mrpo...@hotmail.com

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
In article <35A3AA69...@utk.edu>,
Jay Flaherty <f...@utk.edu> wrote:

> I've heard nothing but good things from this list about St. Pats (I've never had any problems myself) now everybody wants to gripe thier two
> cents.

and well they should. if you don't like the thread then ignore it. put it in
your kill file. it's not that hard. you *don't* have to read it. better not
to read it then to try and censor what everyone else wants to post.

jonathan
ShakeDown Street Brewery
*Ain't no place i'd rather be...*

M&C

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
<stp...@wixer.bga.com> wrote:

First let me note these posts were from the Fourth of July
>weekend. While these guys were slammin’ St. Pat’s I was drinking beer
>at Waterloo Friday night, drinking beer and eating barbeque Saturday
>afternoon, watched fireworks that night while drinking Liberty Ale at
>the suggestion of Michael Jackson who wrote an article for the London
>Times about beers for the Fourth, (has anyone seen this yet?), followed
>by more beer at Waterloo and Bitter End. We rested on Sunday with a 2
>liter krug of German beer while working at the new warehouse followed by
>a bottle of chardonnay as a nightcap. Get a life fellas.

This confirms my theory that there are two distinct classes of
brewers/craft brew enthusiasts:

1)People that actually care what kind of beer some bloated limey
liquor-sponge suggests they drink on the 4th of july.

2)People who drink what they want, when they want to ,with whatever
food,and at whatever temperature they want to drink it .

If we respect these differences, we'll all get along fine.

> followed
>by more beer at Waterloo and Bitter End. We rested on Sunday with a 2
>liter krug of German beer while working at the new warehouse followed by
>a bottle of chardonnay as a nightcap. Get a life fellas.

I don't think anyone who rates their weekend in terms of what they ate
and drank has no right to tell others to "get a life". Beer and food
are an augmentation to my very happy and productive life. In other
words:
This weekend I went sailing, skiing and.......oh yeah, I drank some
home brew.

>At its worst, RCB has a certain talk radio feel
>about it. ‘st pats sucks good buddy, megadittos!’ or ‘I just hate that
>brewnazi bitch at st pats, megamegadittos on that good buddy!’ (Just

I we're Rush, you're definitely the Clinton administration. You know,
devert the criticism by attacking the accuser.

>2. It is true we have a “No Butts” button on our customer database. (It
>is a cigarette lying in the red line thru circle.

That's ironic, we have something called the "butt-light" . It's a
searchlight w/ the st. pats cactus-yeast symbol with a slash through
it. Whenever Barnaby, CM and I want to alert the anti-st. pats cabal
we shine the "butt-light" into the night sky. Once the light is
activated a complex chain reaction of events occur resulting in
numerous unfounded defamatory postings on the Usenet directed toward
Mrs. o'connor's shop.

The bottom line:

I don't think you're a bitch or a Nazi. An egomaniac.......maybee.

Just be nice to people and this will all go away!

C (from M&C)

M&C

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
On Thu, 09 Jul 1998 00:51:55 GMT, crack...@rocketmail.com (M&C)
wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Jul 1998 08:10:43 -0600, Lynne O'Connor
><stp...@wixer.bga.com> wrote:
>

> First let me note these posts were from the Fourth of July
>>weekend. While these guys were slammin’ St. Pat’s I was drinking beer
>>at Waterloo Friday night, drinking beer and eating barbeque Saturday
>>afternoon, watched fireworks that night while drinking Liberty Ale at
>>the suggestion of Michael Jackson who wrote an article for the London
>>Times about beers for the Fourth, (has anyone seen this yet?), followed
>>by more beer at Waterloo and Bitter End. We rested on Sunday with a 2
>>liter krug of German beer while working at the new warehouse followed by
>>a bottle of chardonnay as a nightcap. Get a life fellas.
>

>This confirms my theory that there are two distinct classes of
>brewers/craft brew enthusiasts:
>
>1)People that actually care what kind of beer some bloated limey
>liquor-sponge suggests they drink on the 4th of july.
>
>2)People who drink what they want, when they want to ,with whatever
>food,and at whatever temperature they want to drink it .
>
>If we respect these differences, we'll all get along fine.

>> followed
>>by more beer at Waterloo and Bitter End. We rested on Sunday with a 2
>>liter krug of German beer while working at the new warehouse followed by
>>a bottle of chardonnay as a nightcap. Get a life fellas.
>

>I don't think anyone who rates their weekend in terms of what they ate
>and drank has no right to tell others to "get a life". Beer and food
>are an augmentation to my very happy and productive life. In other
>words:
>This weekend I went sailing, skiing and.......oh yeah, I drank some
>home brew.
>

>>At its worst, RCB has a certain talk radio feel
>>about it. ‘st pats sucks good buddy, megadittos!’ or ‘I just hate that
>>brewnazi bitch at st pats, megamegadittos on that good buddy!’ (Just
>

>I we're Rush, you're definitely the Clinton administration. You know,
>devert the criticism by attacking the accuser.
>

>>2. It is true we have a “No Butts” button on our customer database. (It
>>is a cigarette lying in the red line thru circle.
>

>That's ironic, we have something called the "butt-light" . It's a
>searchlight w/ the st. pats cactus-yeast symbol with a slash through
>it. Whenever Barnaby, CM and I want to alert the anti-st. pats cabal
>we shine the "butt-light" into the night sky. Once the light is
>activated a complex chain reaction of events occur resulting in
>numerous unfounded defamatory postings on the Usenet directed toward
>Mrs. o'connor's shop.
>

>The bottom line:
>
>I don't think you're a bitch or a Nazi. An egomaniac.......maybee.
>
>Just be nice to people and this will all go away!
>
>C (from M&C)
>

>>4. Everyone (of character) is treated the same regardless of how much

BTW- I've yet to place an order from the valley and no, I've never
stiffed you on an order.

Robert Summers

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
I have been reading the "St.Pats" threads for the last few days. I actually
find them entertaining in a fun sort of way. I have not commented but I know
find myself compelled to do so.

1. If you don't like the thread don't read the stupid thing. Just mark as
read and move right along. I think this forum is the perfect place to let
the home brewing community know about some sub-par supply stores. If you
support the store then by all means speak your mind.

2. Having a bad homebrew shop experience here in Houston, I can understand
the feelings of the gentleman in question. I will not mention there name,
but they will never get my business. And if asked I will tell all my brewing
friends to stay away. You can't treat customers like idiots and expect to
keep a good clientele.

3. Not having first hand experience with this supplier I can not comment
personally. However, I have talked to others who have given me similar
on using this store, nor will I in the future. I have two very good stores I
use now. One locally and one by mail order.

4. There is always two sides to the story. But I have drawn my conclusion.

5. As far as the slander gentleman is concerned, read up on your civil law.
It is not slander if it can be proven in a court of law. Of course in todays
times we are filled with "jail house lawyers". This is the reason why our
criminal justice system needs to be revamped.

Rob

"If God had intended for us to drink beer, he would have given us a
stomachs." -David Daye Dooohhhh!!!! -Homer Simpson