Dallas homebrewing (was: Re: Beer in Dallas)

Mark Shaw

Jul 29, 1994, 2:45:45 PM7/29/94
In article f...@news.utdallas.edu, sta...@utdallas.edu (John D. Standifird) writes:

>The Homebrew headquarters on lower Greenville is temporarily out of
>business (the roof caved in after heavy rains), but there are two other
>locations: in Arlington (never been to that one), and on north central
>(US 75) on the west side between Spring Valley and Midway.

I would suggest Homebrew Supply on the east side of I-75, just north
of Spring Valley. They carry everything you need and are more help-
ful and knowledgeable (the guy at HH didn't even know what I was
talking about the time I went down there for DMS). They also deal
in refrigerated kegging systems and other accessories. Ask for Jack.

---
Mark Shaw
(my opinions, not Texas Instruments')
"The radio didn't kill Edward. Edward killed the radio."
- Marilyn Whirlwind

Jimmie Lewis Kelly

Jul 31, 1994, 10:38:13 AM7/31/94
>>The Homebrew headquarters on lower Greenville is temporarily out of
>>business (the roof caved in after heavy rains), but there are two other
>>locations: in Arlington (never been to that one), and on north central
>>(US 75) on the west side between Spring Valley and Midway.
>
>I would suggest Homebrew Supply on the east side of I-75, just north
>of Spring Valley. They carry everything you need and are more help-
>ful and knowledgeable (the guy at HH didn't even know what I was
>talking about the time I went down there for DMS). They also deal
>in refrigerated kegging systems and other accessories. Ask for Jack.

I second this advice. Jack is one of the most helpful brewers around.
I live a long way from his store, but I make the effort to buy all of
my stuff from him. The guys at Homebrew Headquarters just don't seem
to give a shit, just give me your money.

--_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_\_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Jimmie Kelly \
Center for Advanced Engineering Systems \ "Are we there yet?"
and Automation Research (CAESAR) \
University of Texas at Arlington \
ke...@cse.uta.edu (817)273-3321 \
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_\-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

JustKJ

Aug 14, 1994, 3:45:11 PM8/14/94
In article <1994Jul31....@news.uta.edu>, ke...@cse.uta.edu (Jimmie
Lewis Kelly) writes:

>I second this advice. Jack is one of the most helpful brewers around.
>I live a long way from his store, but I make the effort to buy all of
>my stuff from him. The guys at Homebrew Headquarters just don't seem
>to give a shit, just give me your money.

Last I heard Both the Homebrew HQ and the supply store on I-75 are both
owned by the same people. oI have not had any trouble at either store and
in fact have been referered to Jack from the Greenville store manager when
he could not answer my question.

I'm JustKJ...
... and I need a good brew!

Kirk Justus, Dallas Texas

fram...@skitzo.dseg.ti.com

Aug 15, 1994, 9:05:06 AM8/15/94
In article <32ls87$g...@search01.news.aol.com>, jus...@aol.com (JustKJ) writes:
> In article <1994Jul31....@news.uta.edu>, ke...@cse.uta.edu (Jimmie
> Lewis Kelly) writes:
>
>>I second this advice. Jack is one of the most helpful brewers around.
>>I live a long way from his store, but I make the effort to buy all of
>>my stuff from him. The guys at Homebrew Headquarters just don't seem
>>to give a shit, just give me your money.
>
> Last I heard Both the Homebrew HQ and the supply store on I-75 are both
> owned by the same people. oI have not had any trouble at either store and
> in fact have been referered to Jack from the Greenville store manager when
> he could not answer my question.

HHQ is fairly reasonable for a retail store when you consider what we pay
for shipping. They've almost got everything. :-) Seems like every
time I design up a newbrew they're out of the yeast I require. But I
blame that on my dumb luck. (I know they're bound to read this group :-)

The only real problem I have with them is that they aren't open on
Sundays. I could have newbrewed this weekend if I knew of a brew
shop that was open on Sundays.
mark frampton..O/30 MX NOVICE | The next time you're looking for another
Slow #62. I'll get there! | thrill, try putting some tabasco sauce
fram...@skitzo.dseg.ti.com | on your toilet paper! 8-()

That's my own opinion you're | I plan ahead... That way, we don't have
knocking, not TI's. | to do anything "right now".
-------------------------------*-----------------------------------------

Kevin Who Dat Hardee

Aug 15, 1994, 5:56:49 PM8/15/94
HHQ is fairly reasonable for a retail store when you consider what we pay
for shipping. They've almost got everything. :-) Seems like every
time I design up a newbrew they're out of the yeast I require. But I
blame that on my dumb luck. (I know they're bound to read this group :-)

The only real problem I have with them is that they aren't open on
Sundays. I could have newbrewed this weekend if I knew of a brew
shop that was open on Sundays.

HHQ is not the homebrew store that you will find Jack Morgan at. Jack
previously worked for HHQ and has since opened his own store Homebrew Supply
of Dallas. The confusion on this group that I regularly see is caused by
that fact that HHQ is on the west side of the Central Distressway, and HBSOD
is on the east side. HHQ is just south of Spring Valley, and HBSOD is located
at 777 N. Central just north of Spring Valley. When I began brewing about a
year ago, I shopped at HHQ because it was the only store that I knew about.
Because of a desire to find the best store in the area, I did a little research
and found HBSOD. IMHO, the service and knowledge imparted at HBSOD is far
greater that at HHQ. It should also be noted that as of the middle of May,
HBSOD now open on Sundays with Mark Shelton (1993 Gulf Coast Homebrewer of the Year)
running the store. Mark, as all of the sales people at HBSOD, is a very friendly
and informative individual. What I found keeps me going back is that they have
a coffee table and a couple of chairs, and customers are encouraged to sit back
, relax, hang out, and ask questions when ever possible. I probably spend 1 to 3
lunches a week just hanging out at the store talking to brewers from the area
when I have nothing better to do. If you are ever in the store and see someone
hanging out wearing a black Saints jersey with #46, that would be me. Stop in
and say "Hey, I read you on the Net." As always, I have no affiliation with any
of the Dallas area homebrew stores other than being a satisfied customer. It's
the good information provided by the kind soles on the r.c.b, and HBD, and store
owners like Jack Morgan that have allowed me to advance my brewing to the point
that I won Best Extract at the 1994 North Texas State Fair Brewoff last weekend.

--
Kevin M. Hardee GEAUX SAINTS, GEAUX CAJUNS...
Alcatel Network Systems, Inc. Internet: kha...@aud.alcatel.com

Lanny Carey

Aug 14, 1994, 10:55:38 PM8/14/94
I've been satisfied with the help I've been getting from Shawn as well
as Jack at the store on I-75. As long as these guys are competent and
try.. I suggest we encourage and pratonize these stores as much as
possible.

IMHO,
Lanny

--
Lanny Carey | You will not be a failure as long as
lca...@netcom.com | your fears do not overtake your dreams

Mike Serafin

Aug 18, 1994, 10:56:31 AM8/18/94

: In article <32ls87$g...@search01.news.aol.com>, jus...@aol.com (JustKJ) wrote:
: > In article <1994Jul31....@news.uta.edu>, ke...@cse.uta.edu (Jimmie
: > Lewis Kelly) writes:
: >
: > >I second this advice. Jack is one of the most helpful brewers around.
: > >I live a long way from his store, but I make the effort to buy all of
: > >my stuff from him. The guys at Homebrew Headquarters just don't seem
: > >to give a shit, just give me your money.
: >
: > Last I heard Both the Homebrew HQ and the supply store on I-75 are both
: > owned by the same people. oI have not had any trouble at either store and
: > in fact have been referered to Jack from the Greenville store manager when
: > he could not answer my question.

It seems that there may be a bit of confusion here about the hombrew stores.
Homebrew Headquarters has 2 stores one on Greenville and one on I-75 at
Midpark. Jack's store, Homebrew Supply of Dallas is also on I-75, but north of
Spring Creek, HHQ and HSD are only about a mile apart. HHQ and HSD are not
affiliated in any way, but Jack did work for HHQ at one time. HSD is his own
venture.

Graves Peter

Aug 18, 1994, 5:11:36 PM8/18/94
In article g...@search01.news.aol.com, jus...@aol.com (JustKJ) writes:
>In article <1994Jul31....@news.uta.edu>, ke...@cse.uta.edu (Jimmie
>Lewis Kelly) writes:
>
>>I second this advice. Jack is one of the most helpful brewers around.
>>I live a long way from his store, but I make the effort to buy all of
>>my stuff from him. The guys at Homebrew Headquarters just don't seem
>>to give a shit, just give me your money.
>
>Last I heard Both the Homebrew HQ and the supply store on I-75 are both
>owned by the same people. oI have not had any trouble at either store and
>in fact have been referered to Jack from the Greenville store manager when
>he could not answer my question.

AS WELL AS THE STORE IN ARLINGTON, TX. ALL GOOD PEOPLE!
CHEERS, PETE (SORRY ABOUT SHOUTING MY CAPS LOCK IS ON)

Mike Serafin

Aug 22, 1994, 10:30:10 AM8/22/94
Mike Serafin (ser...@spdc.ti.com) wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^
: affiliated in any way, but Jack did work for HHQ at one time. HSD is his own
: venture.

This is supposed to be SPRING VALLEY. I had a brief mental lapse when I
composed this.

Fred Rubarth

Aug 22, 1994, 5:37:00 PM8/22/94

So how much are supplies costing in Texas.

Here in Michigan going through the brewing supplies stores and not through
a mail order I pay about

$10 - $13 for a hopped malt extract
$11 - $13 for DME
$ 2 - $4 for Dextrose
$2.25 - $3.00 for gross of caps

How does this compare to everyone else

Fred Rubarth
frub...@pms258.pms.ford.com
(313) 845-8493 "Not An Offical PersonMan of Ford Motor Company"

Fred Rubarth

Aug 22, 1994, 5:57:22 PM8/22/94

> So how much are supplies costing in Texas.
>
> Here in Michigan going through the brewing supplies stores and not through
> a mail order I pay about
>
> $10 - $13 for a hopped malt extract
> $11 - $13 for DME
> $ 2 - $4 for Dextrose
> $2.25 - $3.00 for gross of caps
>
> How does this compare to everyone else

i'm sorry I forgot to put sizes in this post let me try again.

$10 - $13 for a can hopped malt extract (Approx 3.3lb can)
$11 - $13 for DME (Approx 5lbs)
$ 2 - $4 for Dextrose (approx 4lbs)
$2.25 - $3.00 for gross of caps (144)