Bohemian Pils Mash Temp

JS

Jan 4, 2007, 2:39:20 PM1/4/07
I have Ray Danels' Perfect Pils recipe, which he represents as a
Bohemian. The only thing I question is his recommended mash temp of
154. Is there something inherent to a Bohemian Pils that would
benefit from a higher temp? I was thinking of going with about 148.

Thanks.
John S.

John Bleichert

Jan 4, 2007, 3:41:57 PM1/4/07
JS <jayceeessfouratfrontiernetdotnet> wrote:
> I have Ray Danels' Perfect Pils recipe, which he represents as a
> Bohemian. The only thing I question is his recommended mash temp of
> 154. Is there something inherent to a Bohemian Pils that would
> benefit from a higher temp? I was thinking of going with about 148.
>
> Thanks.
> John S.

Where did you get that? Is there another Daniels' book? Can't find
bubks about it on the net.

John Bleichert syb...@earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!!

Jeremy Jones

Jan 4, 2007, 3:44:06 PM1/4/07

Hi John,

I've recently been trying to get a recipe right for my house lager, a
lowish-alcohol (4.5% or so), cheap pilsner. With a grain bill of 9 lbs
for 5 gallons, I thought I'd mash at 149F to get the most fermentables
out of my little mash. Even with WL San Fran Lager yeast, which is
supposed to be a low attenuation (around 70% if I remember correctly),
this turned out WAY too dry. Boring, in fact, with very little malt flavor.

This last time around, I did 150F for 15 min, 152F for 15 minutes, 154F
for 15 minutes, and 156F for another 15 minutes. This is still in
primary right now, so we'll see.

Anyway, I don't think I'll do another pilsner at a low mash temperature.

--Jeremy

JS

Jan 4, 2007, 4:27:00 PM1/4/07
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 20:41:57 GMT, John Bleichert
<syb...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Where did you get that? Is there another Daniels' book? Can't find
>bubks about it on the net.

Don't recall where I found it. I have it on a Word doc. Here is the
C&P:

RAY'S FAVORITE RECIPES
From Brewing Editor Ray Daniels

Perfect Pilsner
I remember this recipe as the first of my beers to earn the praise of
an established professional brewer. Looking at it now, I see why! This
is a classic Bohemian pilsner recipe with darn near everything done
right. It employs specialty malts with subtlety but goes straight for
the heart with the Saaz hops. If you are mashing and have the ability
to ferment at lager temperatures, you should definitely give this one
a try.
Extract brewers may also enjoy this recipe by substituting 6 lbs of
Alexander's Sun Country Malt Extract for 8.5 pounds of the two-row
malt.
O.G. 1.050
F.G. 1.015
Ingredients
10 lbs Two-row Malt (American or European)
0.75 lb Crystal malt - Light (10-40 deg L) German
0.25 lb Cara-Pils malt
0.375 lb Wheat malt
0.25 lb Munich malt
1.0 oz Saaz* (5.0% aa) - boiled 60 minutes
1.5 oz Saaz - boiled 30 minutes
0.5 oz Saaz - boiled 10 minutes
0.5 oz Saaz - boiled 5 minutes
1.5 oz Saaz - Dry hopped in Secondary Fermenter
* Given the amount of hops added to this recipe, you may want to
select pellet rather than whole hops to reduce wort loss. Also, if the
Saaz hops available to you are below 4% alpha acid, you should select
another European-type hop with an alpha acid content near 5% for the
first two hop additions. Try Hallertau, Hersbruck, Spalt, Liberty,
Crystal, or Mt. Hood.
1 tsp Calcium chloride was used in mash water. Sparge water was
acidified with food grade lactic acid.
Wyeast Munich Lager Yeast (2308) -- 2 packages in 2 quarts of starter.
Irish Moss was used in the last 10 minutes of the boil.
Procedure
The mash for this beer included a protein rest at 130 deg F (a bit
high) for 30 minutes and a saccharification rest at 154 deg F for one
hour. If you can do a protein rest at 122 deg F or so, it's not a bad
idea, but if you can't, don't let that stop you. Just do an infusion
mash at 154 deg F and go from there. My mash water volume was 15
quarts (3.75 gallons) and the sparge water volume was 5 gallons.
Total boil time was 100 minutes, with the hop additions beginning
after the first 40 minutes of the boil.
Fermentation was conducted at 45 to 48 degrees for five days and then
raised to 55 to 58 degrees for another 10 days.
The dry hops were added during the lagering phase which was four weeks
at 35 to 40 deg F.

Steve/Aus

Jan 4, 2007, 5:30:45 PM1/4/07

"JS" <jayceeessfouratfrontiernetdotnet> wrote in message
I would hardly call this a classic Bohemian Pils recipe. AFAIK, BoPils is
made only from Pils malt, Morovian, which is undermodified and needs a
protein rest as suggested above. This recipe uses fully modified malt which
does not need a protein rest.
It uses a higher mash temp to swing the sugars profile to a more dextrinous
wort (more malty if you like) but counter-acts it with a protein rest on
fully modified malt which will thin the wort.
Also, it is damn near impossible to get Saaz hops at 5% or over as
suggested, mostly they are 3.5 - 4.5% and BoPils are never dry hopped -
totally inappropiate.
This recipe will make nice beer but not a BoPils. There is more to this
style than just Saaz hops. Classic Bohemian Pilsners have a rich malty taste
from the undermodified malt and a caramely taste from the triple decoction
mash schedule. There are often hints of diacetyl as well. They are quite
bitter but well balanced. Hop aroma although present is not overwhelming but
pleasantly spicy - this is where I disagree with dry hopping, it will take
too long to mature out. I suggest first wort hopping and late additions at
5mins or so. Bitterness can be balanced later with the addition of a neutral
hop extract.
To be quite honest, to raise a beer like this to approx 48 IBU's with Saaz
hops alone is going to work out quite expensive. That's why I use a little
hop extract.
Steve W (in Aus)

JS

Jan 4, 2007, 5:58:03 PM1/4/07
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:30:45 GMT, "Steve/Aus"
<ad...@bigponddotnetdotau.trashthisbit> wrote:

>To be quite honest, to raise a beer like this to approx 48 IBU's with Saaz
>hops alone is going to work out quite expensive. That's why I use a little
>hop extract.
>Steve W (in Aus)

Thanks for the input. I will leave out the intended dry-hopping and
go for FWH. I worked out a modified version of this on Beer Tools,
and their guidelines for BP IBUs is 35-45. I'm not trying to
duplicate the IBUs from the original --- just want to make a BP
reasonably to style.

Steve/Aus

Jan 4, 2007, 7:20:03 PM1/4/07

> On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:30:45 GMT, "Steve/Aus"
> <ad...@bigponddotnetdotau.trashthisbit> wrote:
>

>>To be quite honest, to raise a beer like this to approx 48 IBU's with Saaz
>>hops alone is going to work out quite expensive. That's why I use a little
>>hop extract.
>>Steve W (in Aus)
>>
> Thanks for the input. I will leave out the intended dry-hopping and
> go for FWH. I worked out a modified version of this on Beer Tools,
> and their guidelines for BP IBUs is 35-45. I'm not trying to
> duplicate the IBUs from the original --- just want to make a BP
> reasonably to style.
>
> --
Cool.
Personally, I would drop the crystal, wheat and cara-pils. Up the munich to
15% of the grist. This will give you the malty profile. Mash high as
suggested and mash for 90mins, single infusion is all that's required.
If you want caramel, take a small portion of the first runnings, maybe 2-3
litres and boil it vigorously in a small pot until it reduces to a thin
syrupy liquid and darkens.
Boil , chill and ferment as normal. Ferment cool, bo-pils can not be estery.
Lager down to near freezing temps for a few weeks. Don't bother with a
diacetyl rest unless you have excessive amounts and it tastes like movie
popcorn.
Good luck, Steve W (in Aus)

Denny Conn

Jan 5, 2007, 12:26:57 PM1/5/07
JS wrote:

I ran across a copy of this recipe last week when I was cleaning out my
desk. I must have d/l'ed it years ago. If it hadn't come from Ray, I'd
say it's garbage and ignore it. But since it did, I'll just say that
it's unusual but very likely makes a great beer.

--
Life begins at 60...1.060, that is.