SABCO Brew-Magic System

1 view

Kotiaspen

Jan 16, 2003, 1:26:53 PM1/16/03
I am looking at the SABCO Brew-Magic System and wanted to see if
anyone has or know someone who has used it - any feedback would be
greatly appreciated. Are there alternatives to the Brew-Magic out
there? I am not very good with electrical items from scratch, so I am
not sure about building a RIMS from scratch but with the right
instruction/comments I believe anything is possible?

Once again any information is appreciated!

MDixon

Jan 16, 2003, 1:42:15 PM1/16/03

Kotiaspen <koti...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I am looking at the SABCO Brew-Magic System and wanted to see if
> anyone has or know someone who has used it - any feedback would be
> greatly appreciated. Are there alternatives to the Brew-Magic out
> there? I am not very good with electrical items from scratch, so I am
> not sure about building a RIMS from scratch but with the right
> instruction/comments I believe anything is possible?

First understand that a RIMS of a HERMS will not make better beer than a
cooler or a kettle. What they can do is free you of watching a process.
They also can add more things to clean.

With that in mind, the STD comes in at a hefty 3 grand, the Showcase closer
to 4 grand.

A CompuBrew system performs practically the same things, but you would need
to make a stand, and fabricate the rest of the system yourself which is not
so hard to do. It runs about 1 grand, and the rest could certainly be
pieced together for less than another grand.

B3's systems www.morebeer.com, you can pick what you desire and almost to
any price you desire.

If it were me, I would probably go with the BC-50 from
http://www.stainlesssteelspec.com/html/an/aframe.html
I think for about 3-4grand it comes with a conical fermenter...

Now if you really wanted to build one from scratch, I think it could be done
for less than a grand...

Cheers,
Mike

MDixon

Jan 16, 2003, 1:58:19 PM1/16/03

Kotiaspen <koti...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Hey, if you really have money to burn, get one of these...
http://www.braxonia.de/e_index.htm

When I checked, a 20L was ~$15,000, a 50L was ~$21,000 and a 100L ~$27,000

Cheers,
Mike

Tony Verhulst

Jan 16, 2003, 2:07:45 PM1/16/03

> Now if you really wanted to build one from scratch, I think it could be done
> for less than a grand...

I paid about $1150 for the parts of my 10 gallon system:

10 gallon Gott cooler ........ $40
35KBTU Camp Chef burner ...... $70
125KBTU Camp Chef burner ..... $70
10gal Volrath SS kettle ...... $125
15gal Volrath SS kettle ...... $160
casters for the frame ........ $40
magnetic drive pump .......... $125
mashtun false bottom ......... $40
quick disconnects ............ $80
valves ....................... $20
welding services ............. $60
misc plumbing hardware ....... $75
30A/240V 2 pole GFCI breaker . $80
misc electrical supplies ..... $50
control panel (total) ........ $120
+ box ... ................ $15
+ temp controller .... $60
+ power relays ....... $30
+ switches/outlets .. $15

I could have gotten cheaper burners and saved maybe $60. Instead of the
Volrath pots, I could have used converted Sankee kegs and saved another
$200.

So, yeah Mike, I agree with your assesment of <$1000. But, you have to
like to design and build things because you'll be miserable if you
don't. It'll also take MUCH more time than you anticipate. If you just
wanna brew - buy it.

Tony V.
http://home.attbi.com/~verhulst/RIMS/rims.htm

George Daher

Jan 16, 2003, 3:07:09 PM1/16/03
Build a HERMS instead. Completely mechanical except of the pump and wow you
plug it in a wall outlet. It cost me $1,200.00 to build mine. No advantages,
wont make you brew better beer but it could help. Conveinance of not lifting
full kettles. I love mine. I am currently adding a few electronic gadgets
after over a year of using it the way it is. Sabco system looks nice however
very expensive. I would look at morebeer.com 's sculptures as they call them
before going with the sabco.

--
George Daher
www.geocities.com/sgdaher/brewery

bregent

Jan 16, 2003, 3:51:20 PM1/16/03
In article <e6e29581.0301...@posting.google.com>, koti...@yahoo.com
says...

OK, here's my standard spiel for whenever this topic comes up.

I built a RIMS in the early 90's and used it for several years, converting it to
HERMS near the end. For me, the best thing about the RIMS was designing,
building and tweaking it. In the end, it didn't make beer any better or easier
than the more traditional methods. It was harder to clean and made my brew
sessions too long.

I've since sold off all of the parts and have gone back to a basic infusion mash
system. The cost of my current mash tun is about $30, and makes beer every bit
as good as my RIMS/HERMS. It's easier to clean, and I can now brew a 10 gallon
batch from start to finish in under 5 hours.

RIMS/HERMS advocates claim that these systems solve many problems, but how real
are the problems?

What concerns do you have that you think a RIMS will solve compared to your
current mash system?

Wayne M

Jan 16, 2003, 7:29:42 PM1/16/03
>I am
>not sure about building a RIMS from scratch but with the right
>instruction/comments I believe anything is possible?

Build one because you can....

Check this out:

http://www.barleys.nl/index.htm?thuisbrouwerijen

Anything is possible....

Parcial to #41

Wayne
Botanist Brewer
Big Fun Brewing RIMS Site
http://home.aol.com/bfbrewing/BigFunBrewing.htm

Note: Spamguard used in email address.....

Jerry Barkley

Jan 16, 2003, 7:41:17 PM1/16/03
#97 always catches my eye....

--
Cheers
Jerry Barkley

--
http://webpages.charter.net/gbarkley/
--
"Wayne M" <wayn...@aol.com.outspam> wrote in message

---

MDixon

Jan 17, 2003, 11:20:58 AM1/17/03

Jerry Barkley <gbarkley@ihatespam_charter.net> wrote in message

> #97 always catches my eye....

That's pretty funny, mine is even in there (101)....

I really have always appreciated the looks of 47 although 82 is more my
style...;)

Cheers,
Mike
www.ipass.net/~mpdixon/homebrew.htm

M Kozar

Jan 17, 2003, 11:39:53 AM1/17/03
I was lucky and was able to pick up a used brew magic. It doesn't
make me a better brewer or make better beer for that matter. What it
did do was allow me to step up to 10 gal batches with RIMS control
without having to spend a whole lot of time building the thing myself.
I wanted to spend the time brewing, not building, cussing, etc.

Good luck,

mk

Joe Sandlin

Jan 19, 2003, 7:14:47 PM1/19/03
In article <e6e29581.0301...@posting.google.com>, "Kotiaspen"
<koti...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am looking at the SABCO Brew-Magic System and wanted to see if anyone
> has or know someone who has used it - any feedback would be greatly
> appreciated. Are there alternatives to the Brew-Magic out there? I am
> not very good with electrical items from scratch, so I am not sure about
> building a RIMS from scratch but with the right instruction/comments I
> believe anything is possible?

Anything is possible. When I started hanging out here, I was CONVINCED
that a brew-magic was the answer. Then I was steered to the 3B sculptures
and was CONVINCED that this was it. I, too, wanted to brew, not build,
same reasoning as yours. You can google search for SABCO and maybe "build
or buy" and find my original posts. But after lurking for months, I
figured that there's no point in hanging out with the learned if you don't
listen! I started to listen. I, the guy who can screw up an oil change,
am building my HERMS system, and can tell you that although it's
not finished yet, there is a lot of fun in making a brewery that's
uniquely yours. I would have figured it to be a whole lot of cussing,
(well, it's a little bit of cussing) but mostly its satisfaction in
completing each little step.

If you still want to purchase, and I certainly can understand that, I did
a full month of research talking with the folks at SABCO and B3 and
concluded that the B3 sculptures with some bells and whistles were a whole
bunch more bang for the buck than the SABCO. I did end up getting my
burners from SABCO and my weldless stuff from B3. I'm not anal about
building every little component! :)

I know that this didn't answer your question for someone experienced with
the brew-magic, but I had to throw my opinion in, anyway!

Hope this helps.
Joe

Dicky

Jan 20, 2003, 3:44:22 PM1/20/03
bregent <reg...@dontspamme.newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<b0760...@drn.newsguy.com>...

I agree, I avoid using my HERMS. RIMS and HERMS are a pain in the arss
and they just give you more to clean. If you want to do step mashes
just turn on the flame and stir like crazy. RIMS and HERMS make sense
if you have a PID and thermocouples, then it is truly hands free.

bottoms up
Rick

Brian

Jan 21, 2003, 12:03:46 PM1/21/03