Angola Ceres Key-Type

Bob

Jun 4, 2009, 2:10:21 PM6/4/09
My Scott International "Blue" volume 1 has spaces for both a deep blue
and a bright blue shade for the 5c value in the Colonial Ceres series
(1914-1926). The 1941 Scott catalog had listings for both as Scott 129
(issued in 1914) and Scott 130 (1922) but the latest Scott catalogs
have dropped Scott 129 and now only show Scott 130 and have pruned the
color to just blue.

I have posted an image of the two distinctive shades:
http://bskinner.net/stamps/angola_5c_blues.jpg

Interestingly, there are several other former Portuguese colonies that
also used blue for their "five" values and Scott still lists multiple
colors for them (Cape Verde 155,156; Macao 221, 222; Portuguese Guinea
151, 152 and St. Thomas and Prince, 205, 206).

Does anyone know why Scott might have dropped the Angola pair of
shades but left the others? Does anyone have a copy of the Catalogo
"Simoes Ferreira" de selos postais de Portugal e Colonias and can tell
me whether it has any additional information?

Thanks,

BOB
http://globalstamps.blogspot.com/

Tony Vella

Jun 4, 2009, 3:28:10 PM6/4/09
Hi Bob.

Don't know where my Simoes disappeared to. My El�dio de Santos lists the
1914 Angola 5c as azul-escuro (dark blue) and the 1922 issue as both
azul-claro (light blue) and azul-esverdeado (greenish-blue). Hope this
helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- http://www.amedialuz.ca/

"Bob" <Egyp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

chrisj...@proemail.co.uk

Jun 4, 2009, 4:19:11 PM6/4/09
On 4 June, 20:10, Bob <Egypt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Scott International "Blue" volume 1 has spaces for both a deep blue
> and a bright blue shade for the 5c value in the Colonial Ceres series
> (1914-1926). The 1941 Scott catalog had listings for both as Scott 129
> (issued in 1914) and Scott 130 (1922) but the latest Scott catalogs
> have dropped Scott 129 and now only show Scott 130 and have pruned the
> color to just blue.
>
> I have posted an image of the two distinctive shades:http://bskinner.net/stamps/angola_5c_blues.jpg

Stanley Gibbons 1996 Part 9 cat has five fives:-

1914: blue, chalk-surfaced paper, p15x14 (SG 211)
1915-21: deep blue, unsurfaced wove paper, p15x14 (SG 284)
1918: pale blue, ditto (SG 284a)
1924: deep blue, unsurfaced paper, p12x11.5 (SG 306)
1921-26: pale blue, ditto (SG 306a)

Chris

Bob

Jun 4, 2009, 5:20:44 PM6/4/09
I started to mention in my original post that the online version of
the Stanley Gibbons catalog also had only one entry for the 5c blue
(284a). But I noticed there were lots of missing catalog numbers and
began to suspect that what is online is a "simplified" version of a
more detailed listing in a print catalog, like part 9! Looks like this
is Scott being both incomplete and inconsistent. (Scott does mention
the two types of paper although not in quite as well described as SG.)

chrisj...@proemail.co.uk

Jun 4, 2009, 6:03:27 PM6/4/09
On 4 June, 23:20, Bob <Egypt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I started to mention in my original post that the online version of
> the Stanley Gibbons catalog also had only one entry for the 5c blue
> (284a). But I noticed there were lots of missing catalog numbers and
> began to suspect that what is online is a "simplified" version of a
> more detailed listing in a print catalog, like part 9! Looks like this
> is Scott being both incomplete and inconsistent. (Scott does mention
> the two types of paper although not in quite as well described as SG.)

Yes, the free online version is more-or-less the same as the printed
"Simplified" cat. I think you get more if you pay for it, but the sub
costs loadsa dosh for lots of features I don't need, so I haven't
subscribed.

Dave Humphreys is producing expanded Steiner-compatible album pages
for these stamps using SG cat scans I sent him. Look for "Help With
Portuguese Colonies" posts here.

Chris