Shipping coins

CSMN 601 Section 111

Oct 26, 1994, 12:28:38 PM10/26/94
I think somebody posted the other day, but I couldn't seem to locate that
append or any responses to it.

What I am looking for is an optimal and SECURE way of shipping coins from
one place to another. Low cost preferred. US postal system not trusted.

Any ideas welcome.

Scott
mn60...@umuc.umd.edu

Bruce Hickmott

Oct 26, 1994, 1:27:27 PM10/26/94

I use US mail, registered,insured. I always insure for more than the cost of replacement, so if they lose the coin I don't care. They've never lost one for me yet.

And I label the package bogus. Machine parts. Electrical switches. Free sample of Dog Food. Live Bees.
* * I don't speak for anyone * If you use it, you will *
* Bruce Hickmott * but me, and sometimes I * clean it. Or else later you*
* bru...@meaddata.com * disagree with myself. * might eat it.Think about it* ********************************************************************************

Chuck D'Ambra

Oct 26, 1994, 1:24:32 PM10/26/94
In article <38m03m$p...@nova.umd.edu>, MN60...@UMUC.UMD.EDU (CSMN 601 Section 111) writes:
>I think somebody posted the other day, but I couldn't seem to locate that
>append or any responses to it.
>
>What I am looking for is an optimal and SECURE way of shipping coins from
>one place to another. Low cost preferred. US postal system not trusted.

Below is some useful information sent to me by a member of the e-mail list,
who got it from somebody else.

I've shipped 60-70 packages containing coins via U.S. mail in the last year
or so. One was stolen (empty envelope was eventually returned), but all the
others arrived undamaged, and there has yet to be a problem with any coins
shipped to me. YMMV.

Chuck D'Ambra
cha...@ucar.edu

******************** HOW TO SHIP COINS SAFELY ********************

Here's some "do's and dont's" on shipping coins....

The safest way to ship coins is by U.S. Mail, and there are several
different types of mail service that can be used in different situations.
In all cases, coins should be wrapped securely, and packaged between
pieces of corrugated cardboard, or bubble-wrap. Padded envelopes are
also helpful. If you use a box, make sure it is made of strong cardboard,
and you fill all the excess space with foam "peanuts", newspaper, or
bubble-wrap.
When shipping rolls of coins in plastic tubes....make sure that you place
a little paper or foam filler in the end of the roll so the coins do
not "rattle" around in the tube.
NEVER use any reference to coins or numismatics in either the address
or the return address. For instance...if you are sending coins to
ABC Coin Comapny....write ABC Co. as the addressee.

Here are the various types of mail service that can be used for coins:

First Class Mail:
----------------

First class is appropriate for shipments with a value *under* $50. This
class of mail can be insured inexpensively, but collection on a claim is
a bit difficult. The USPS will not allow the Blue Label "numbered/insured"
service to be used on packages valued under $50....which means that the
package does not require a signature by the addressee.
I've found that it is often better to ship these inexpensive packages
without insurance, and to mark the package with something like:
"Photos-Please Don't Bend" or "Machine Parts - Rush". Otherwise, the insurance
stamp will stand out like a "steal me" sign for unscrupulous postal employees.

First Class Numbered/Insured
----------------------------
This service is also refered to as "Blue Label Insured". It requires
a signature by the addressee upon receipt. This type of service is
appropriate for shipments valued between $50 and $250.
It is important that several security precautions be taken when using
this service. Since the blue insurance label is a "steal me" flag....you'll
want to take steps to defeat the common scams. Postal crooks like to steal
mail by placing their own address label over yours. You can defeat this
practice several ways.
1. Always use a large address label, or hand write the address as
large as possible.
2. Overlap the blue insurance sticker over a portion of the address label.
3. Place the address label in such a way that the postal clerk will
HAVE to put the metered postage tape over a portion of the label.
4. Use plenty of packing tape on your package. Tape over all the seams.
5. Make the clerk put a "fragile" stamp on your package.
6. Use the "photos" or "machine parts" ploy.

Registered/Insured Mail
-----------------------

Registered mail is the absolute safest way to ship anything of value! It is
a must for shipments valued over $250 or so. Registered mail MUST be used
to insure shipments valued over $600. Postal regulations require that
registered shipments be in a box or a NON-padded envelop. So if you use
an envelope, you must use some stiff cardboard protectors for the coins
within. Postal regulations also require that registered shipments be
taped with PAPER tape or other tape that will absorb the postmarks that
are required on all tape seams. You cannot use celo-tape, masking tape,
or duct tape on registered packages.
Registered mail is shipped in a locked pouch, and must be signed for by
EVERY postal employee that handles it. Very few registered packages are
ever lost or damaged.
For registered mail....follow the same security precautions as in first
class mail, AND...also make sure that the clerk takes the time to put a
postmark on each seam.

Other Options
-------------

I do NOT recommend using a return receipt on registered or numbered/insured
shipments. Since the package must be signed for anyway....you are just
wasting a dollar on the return receipt.

Never use "certified mail" for coins. It does not offer any protection,
or return of value if the contents are lost or damaged.

Express Mail is NOT a good choice for coins as they exclude "cash, currency,
and bullion" except for the first $15 of loss. Though it MAY be possible to
claim that a rare coin is not cash....it will probably be a difficult sell.
Coin dealers that use express mail usually insure the packages through their
own policies.

Likewise, UPS, Fedex, and other overnight shippers are not good choices
for coin shipments. UPS will not insure coins at all. If you must use
UPS due to bulk or other considerations....you'll need to list the contents
as something other than rare coins.